|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lenina assume John will not come out of his room?
(a) Because he does not like her
(b) Because she slept with Bernard
(c) Because he is afraid of her
(d) Because he does not want to sleep with her
2. Which of the following does the controller indicate is incompatible with happiness?
3. Why wouldn't the controller allow John to go with Bernard and Helmholtz?
(a) He wants to go on with the experiment
(b) He wants to return to the reservation
(c) He has other plans for John
(d) He wants him to work in the controller's office
4. Which word describes how the controller felt at Bernard's suggestions about social order?
5. What does John repeatedly say in his grief that confuses the twins?
(c) One is important
6. What does John talk about which horrifies Lenina?
7. Which of the following is not one of the areas the controller says that God isn't compatible with?
(b) Universal happiness
8. When Linda awakens what does she say that upsets John?
(a) Asks him to belong to no one ever
(b) Calls him Pope
(c) Tells him of how wonderful the new civilization is
(d) Tells him to leave
9. The controller and John debate over whether or not the belief in God is what?
10. What amazes the nurse who is caring for John's mother?
(a) That he is as young as he is
(b) That he puts such importance on a single person
(c) That he bothers to come to visit his mother
(d) That he is actually her child
11. What causes Helmholtz to become a marked man?
(a) A lecture with rhymes on solitude
(b) His friendship with the savage
(c) His friendship with Bernard
(d) A lecture on the savage
12. Who does Henry Foster tell that the DHC had been on the verge of transferring Bernard to Iceland?
(c) Head mistress of Eton
13. What does John say poisoned him?
14. How do the workers react to all of the events with Linda, John and the director?
(a) They throw stones
(b) They laugh
(c) They cheer
(d) They yell
15. Which of the following characters do the police not take away after the riot at the soma distribution line?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does John die?
2. Which word best describes how the guests feel about Bernard when John refuses to come out of his room for the party?
3. What do John, Helmholtz and Bernard often do together?
4. What does Linda announce that causes everyone to fall silent?
5. What does Linda call herself when she sees the DHC for the first time?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)