|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John call the director when he sees him for the first time?
2. Which character has the closest bond with John in this chapter?
3. According to the director, what has Bernard attacked?
(a) The DHC
(b) An individual
(c) Society itself
(d) Henry Foster
4. Which of the following words is an accurate description of how John responds when Lenina strops off her clothes?
(a) Becomes aroused
(b) Hides from her
(c) Punches her
(d) Retreats in terror
5. Which of the following has not been described by the controller as something that has paid a high price for happiness?
6. How do the workers react to all of the events with Linda, John and the director?
(a) They throw stones
(b) They cheer
(c) They yell
(d) They laugh
7. Which of the following ideas from Romeo and Juliet did Helmhotz find very obscene?
(a) Star-crossed lovers
(b) Forcing love on someone
(c) Uncremated bodies
(d) Mother and father
8. Which of the following does the controller indicate is incompatible with happiness?
9. Which word describes how John thinks of Linda and the Deltas as they line up for the soma distribution?
(a) Without a backbone
10. Which of the following phrases does John call Lenina after he pushes her away?
(a) Sassy woman
(b) Presumptuous whore
(c) Impudent strumpet
(d) Insolent strumpet
11. What does John say poisoned him?
12. What analogy does the controller use to describe the optimum population?
(b) Island of Cypress
(c) An iceberg
(d) The human body
13. Which of the following characters do the police not take away after the riot at the soma distribution line?
14. Which word describes how the controller felt at Bernard's suggestions about social order?
15. After John leaves Lenina, what does she do to get to sleep?
(a) Takes a long bath
(b) Takes 3 half-gramme soma tablets
(c) Leaves to find Bernard
(d) Drinks a shake
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John do when he sees Lenina get out of the helicopter?
2. What right does the controller say that John is claiming?
3. How long does the doctor predict Linda will last with her constant soma-holidays?
4. What happens to the director at the end of this chapter?
5. What does John tell Bernard he would rather be than have fake happiness?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)