|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John compare the Delta's coming off of shift to?
2. What are the water pistols filled with the police use to help calm the crowd?
(c) Soma vapor
3. What does Helmholtz call Shakespeare?
(a) Great writer
(c) Propaganda technician
4. What are the twins doing in his mother's hospital room?
(a) Being death conditioned
(b) Laughing at John's mother
(c) Making up a game to make fun of John's mother
(d) Taunting John
5. What amazes the nurse who is caring for John's mother?
(a) That he is actually her child
(b) That he is as young as he is
(c) That he bothers to come to visit his mother
(d) That he puts such importance on a single person
6. Which of the following characters do the police not take away after the riot at the soma distribution line?
7. What causes Helmholtz to become a marked man?
(a) His friendship with Bernard
(b) His friendship with the savage
(c) A lecture on the savage
(d) A lecture with rhymes on solitude
8. What does John do with his Shakespeare book after Helmholtz bursts into laughter over some of the writing?
(a) Throws it away
(b) Tears it apart and destroys it
(c) Burns it
(d) Locks it away
9. Why does Lenina assume John will not come out of his room?
(a) Because she slept with Bernard
(b) Because he does not like her
(c) Because he does not want to sleep with her
(d) Because he is afraid of her
10. Which of the following characters tells Lenina to go to John and have him, not taking no for an answer?
11. How do the workers react to all of the events with Linda, John and the director?
(a) They cheer
(b) They yell
(c) They laugh
(d) They throw stones
12. Where does the director propose Bernard should be transfered?
(a) Santa Fe
(b) Sub-Centre far from any centre of population
(c) The savage reservation
(d) The creamatorium
13. Where does John see people laughing at savages confessing their sins to Jesus?
(b) Eton School
14. When Linda awakens what does she say that upsets John?
(a) Calls him Pope
(b) Asks him to belong to no one ever
(c) Tells him to leave
(d) Tells him of how wonderful the new civilization is
15. Which of the following does the controller say floods the system with adrenaline to reproduce the complete physiological effects of fear and rage?
(b) Anti-violent conditioning speeches
(d) Violent passion surrogate
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John do with the pillboxes filled with soma?
2. What does John tell Bernard he would rather be than have fake happiness?
3. What do the people who come to stare at John chant they want to see?
4. Who does Henry Foster tell that the DHC had been on the verge of transferring Bernard to Iceland?
5. Which of the following characters notices Lenina's growing sadness and makes suggestions on possible treatments?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)