|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Mayor, what do the people coming to the church NOT care about?
2. What does Agnes claim is all she has left to offer to Brand and God?
3. While Brand and the Mayor are discussing different building hopes, what does Brand think is needed most?
4. As the Sexton and Schoolmaster are talking about church and state, someone begins playing the organ. Who is it playing the organ?
5. After Brand tells Einar of his life since their last meeting, where does Einar say that Agnes is?
Essay Topic 1
A few times throughout the play Brand's strength weakens. Choose one of these instances and discuss the following:
1) What is happening to cause Brand's strength to falter?
2) What initial decision does Brand make regarding this issue?
3) What changes in Brand to force him to re-commit to his beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
While the play is written from a Christian's view-point, many references are made to other god's. Find 2-3 of these references and discuss their importance to the play. Why do you believe that these images are included in a play that has a definite Christian tone?
Essay Topic 3
The form that appears to Brand could be looked at as a pagan image. Discuss the different views that could be attached to this form- christian and/or pagan. How could one viewpoint undermine Brand's belief in God?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)