|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who decides to leave with Brand (other than members of the congregation) once he closes the church?
2. Brand informs the Mayor of his own plans to build. Initially, what does the Mayor say about Brand's plans?
3. What two characters find Brand's followers on the hillside to persuade them to return home?
4. In the opening of Act 5, Scene 3, what is Brand's appearance?
5. Why does Brand tell Agnes that her offering to him and God counts for nothing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Mayor and Brand are at war throughout the novel. Describe two of their arguments. Who do you believe to be the stronger man? Why do you believe this? Be sure to use textual evidence.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the following lines: "One day the light will dawn, replete: the greatest triumph is defeat!" (Brand- Act 3, l 592-593). Discuss the comparison that Brand is making. Why is he making this comparison? What is unusual about the comparison?
Essay Topic 3
What is the relevance of the "form" at the end of the play? What news does the "form" bring? What is Brand's reaction to the form?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)