|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Agnes hate to hear?
2. According to the Mayor, what do the people coming to the church NOT care about?
3. What causes the avalanche at the end of the play?
4. Why does Brand tell Agnes that her offering to him and God counts for nothing?
5. The Mayor comes to see Brand and tells Brand that the congregation is waiting for him. What does Brand say to the Mayor's request to begin his sermon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the several biblical references seen throughout the play. Discuss the biblical reference's importance to the play and the character.
Essay Topic 2
The form that appears to Brand could be looked at as a pagan image. Discuss the different views that could be attached to this form- christian and/or pagan. How could one viewpoint undermine Brand's belief in God?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the religious aspect (what the Mayor could be represented as) of the Mayor handing out food/supplies to the townspeople.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)