|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Agnes wish Brand to have the new "great church" built by?
2. According to Brand during his initial talk with the Dean, what must new houses find?
3. How many people have come to the new church?
4. What does the Mayor expect Brand to wear during his sermon in the new church?
5. What news does the new arrival to the hillside tell Brand's followers is reason to return to the settlement?
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the play, Gerd makes a startling statement about Brand. Explain what this statement is and why she believes it to be true.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the following lines: "One day the light will dawn, replete: the greatest triumph is defeat!" (Brand- Act 3, l 592-593). Discuss the comparison that Brand is making. Why is he making this comparison? What is unusual about the comparison?
Essay Topic 3
According to the play, do you believe Brand to be Savior re-born? Give textual evidence to support reasoning as to why or why not.
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)