|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Brand tells Einar of his life since their last meeting, where does Einar say that Agnes is?
2. What do Brand and Agnes find out about the woman who has rushed into their home?
3. In the opening of Act 5, Scene 3, what is Brand's appearance?
4. In Act 4, Part 3, Agnes has entered the room Brand is in to decorate the room. What does he order her to do?
5. The schoolmaster and the sexton are talking about the fire at the mayor's home. When the mayor says, "O, that can go to hell," what do they say he is talking about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why one may see Brand as both an exceptional missionary and a destructive person. Compare and contrast both of these sides of Brand. Why do they seem to balance each other out so well? Or do they?
Essay Topic 2
What does Brand's credo of "All or Nothing" cost him throughout the play? Be sure to state the cost, what decision he was given regarding the credo, and the outcome of his decision.
Essay Topic 3
The Mayor and Brand are at war throughout the novel. Describe two of their arguments. Who do you believe to be the stronger man? Why do you believe this? Be sure to use textual evidence.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)