|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Act 5, Scene 1, what does the Dean decide to do?
2. What does the Mayor tell Brand he should expect given his accomplishments for the church?
3. During Brand's conversation with the Dean, what does he claim has deserted him?
4. What word does Agnes hate to hear?
5. As Brand is contemplating his conversation with the dean, he states "That churchyard's watered with my bleeding; my light, my life, lie buried there:---- but not my (_____), that they'll not snare!" What will "they" not snare?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conversation between Brand and Gerd in Act 5 l 1694-1703. What is Gerd saying about Brand? Do you agree with Gerd and see Brand as the Savior? What about a martyr, or as a stigmatic? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The form that appears to Brand could be looked at as a pagan image. Discuss the different views that could be attached to this form- christian and/or pagan. How could one viewpoint undermine Brand's belief in God?
Essay Topic 3
What does Brand's credo of "All or Nothing" cost him throughout the play? Be sure to state the cost, what decision he was given regarding the credo, and the outcome of his decision.
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)