|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Mayor comes to see Brand and tells Brand that the congregation is waiting for him. What does Brand say to the Mayor's request to begin his sermon?
2. The Mayor asks Brand of his intentions in Act 4, Part 2. What does Brand say his intentions are?
3. What proverb does Agnes speak of as she is talking to Brand about his convictions?
4. Who does Agnes claim came to see her the prior night while Band was away?
5. According to the Mayor, what do the people coming to the church NOT care about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Agnes is seen by Brand as a sort of visionary. Choose two of her visions and explain their relevance to the play and Brand.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the play, Brand's credo is "All or Nothing." Give three examples of Brand's confrontation with his credo and explain why the confrontation exists. Be sure to use textual evidence.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why one may see Brand as both an exceptional missionary and a destructive person. Compare and contrast both of these sides of Brand. Why do they seem to balance each other out so well? Or do they?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)