|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In regard to the fire at the mayor's home, what is the mayor concerned with saving?
2. Brand informs the Mayor of his own plans to build. Initially, what does the Mayor say about Brand's plans?
3. What does Agnes say Brand should call God?
4. What does Agnes claim is all she has left to offer to Brand and God?
5. The schoolmaster and the sexton are talking about the fire at the mayor's home. When the mayor says, "O, that can go to hell," what do they say he is talking about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you believe that Brand, given the chance, could save all of mankind? Why or why not (religious beliefs aside)? Remember to base your response off textual evidence.
Essay Topic 2
While the play is written from a Christian's view-point, many references are made to other god's. Find 2-3 of these references and discuss their importance to the play. Why do you believe that these images are included in a play that has a definite Christian tone?
Essay Topic 3
What is the relevance of Gerd's hawk? What does her hawk symbolize? What is the importance of the hawk to the meaning behind the play?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)