|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Agnes hate to hear?
2. After Brand tells Einar of his life since their last meeting, where does Einar say that Agnes is?
3. Who decides to leave with Brand (other than members of the congregation) once he closes the church?
4. What does the Mayor tell Brand he should expect given his accomplishments for the church?
5. Why does the Mayor claim Brand has not won "this" battle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the following lines: "One day the light will dawn, replete: the greatest triumph is defeat!" (Brand- Act 3, l 592-593). Discuss the comparison that Brand is making. Why is he making this comparison? What is unusual about the comparison?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the several biblical references seen throughout the play. Discuss the biblical reference's importance to the play and the character.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why one may see Brand as both an exceptional missionary and a destructive person. Compare and contrast both of these sides of Brand. Why do they seem to balance each other out so well? Or do they?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)