|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Agnes hate to hear?
2. According to the Mayor, what day will never come?
3. In regard to the fire at the mayor's home, what is the mayor concerned with saving?
4. What news does the new arrival to the hillside tell Brand's followers is reason to return to the settlement?
5. The Mayor asks Brand of his intentions in Act 4, Part 2. What does Brand say his intentions are?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conversation between Brand and Gerd in Act 5 l 1694-1703. What is Gerd saying about Brand? Do you agree with Gerd and see Brand as the Savior? What about a martyr, or as a stigmatic? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What is the relevance of the "form" at the end of the play? What news does the "form" bring? What is Brand's reaction to the form?
Essay Topic 3
Do you believe that Brand, given the chance, could save all of mankind? Why or why not (religious beliefs aside)? Remember to base your response off textual evidence.
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)