|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After telling the congregation to leave, what does Brand do with the keys to the church?
2. Before Brand goes to give his sermon, the Dean has come to speak to him about his obligations. What obligation does the Dean say Brand must fulfill?
3. During Brand's impromptu sermon, what force of nature sends the congregation to gather around Brand?
4. When does Agnes wish Brand to have the new "great church" built by?
5. At the end of Act 5, Scene 1, what does the Dean decide to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the religious aspect (what the Mayor could be represented as) of the Mayor handing out food/supplies to the townspeople.
Essay Topic 2
Brand has a sense of a divine mission given to him by God. Discuss 2-3 references throughout the play and how they point to Brand's calling.
Essay Topic 3
While the play is written from a Christian's view-point, many references are made to other god's. Find 2-3 of these references and discuss their importance to the play. Why do you believe that these images are included in a play that has a definite Christian tone?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)