|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What holiday does Act 4 begin with?
2. While discussing the number of people come to the new church, where do the schoolmaster and sexton wish they could go?
3. As Brand is contemplating his conversation with the dean, he states "That churchyard's watered with my bleeding; my light, my life, lie buried there:---- but not my (_____), that they'll not snare!" What will "they" not snare?
4. In the opening of Act 5, Scene 3, what is Brand's appearance?
5. In the opening of Act 5, Scene 2, what are Brand's followers doing as they follow him up the hillside?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several references to "light" throughout the play. Choose three examples and explain their relevance to the play.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the play, Brand's credo is "All or Nothing." Give three examples of Brand's confrontation with his credo and explain why the confrontation exists. Be sure to use textual evidence.
Essay Topic 3
According to the play, do you believe Brand to be Savior re-born? Give textual evidence to support reasoning as to why or why not.
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)