|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Brand's followers do once they believe that he has misled them?
2. As Brand leaves the Mayor to prepare for his sermon, the Mayor is very confused by Brand's words. What does the Mayor believe Brand has been doing?
3. What does Agnes say Brand should call God?
4. According to Brand during his initial talk with the Dean, what must new houses find?
5. The schoolmaster and the sexton are talking about Brand. According to them, why is Brand different?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why one may see Brand as both an exceptional missionary and a destructive person. Compare and contrast both of these sides of Brand. Why do they seem to balance each other out so well? Or do they?
Essay Topic 2
What is the relevance of where Brand chooses to live? What natural images appear at his home that are apparent throughout the play?
Essay Topic 3
A few times throughout the play Brand's strength weakens. Choose one of these instances and discuss the following:
1) What is happening to cause Brand's strength to falter?
2) What initial decision does Brand make regarding this issue?
3) What changes in Brand to force him to re-commit to his beliefs?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)