|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Brand tell Agnes that her offering to him and God counts for nothing?
2. After Brand has completed his thoughts, he seems to be worried. What does Brand ask Agnes for?
3. What does Gerd see when see examines Brand's hands?
4. At the end of Act 4, Brand makes a statement regarding "true possession's price." What is the price?
5. Before Brand goes to give his sermon, the Dean has come to speak to him about his obligations. What obligation does the Dean say Brand must fulfill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the play, Brand's credo is "All or Nothing." Give three examples of Brand's confrontation with his credo and explain why the confrontation exists. Be sure to use textual evidence.
Essay Topic 2
What is the relevance of where Brand chooses to live? What natural images appear at his home that are apparent throughout the play?
Essay Topic 3
Do you believe that Brand, given the chance, could save all of mankind? Why or why not (religious beliefs aside)? Remember to base your response off textual evidence.
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)