|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Agnes believe "all earthly souls are doomed to fail?"
2. At the Woman's house, what have the men come to ask of Brand?
3. What does Brand call his childhood home?
4. While contemplating staying at the settlement, who finds Brand on the shore?
5. Upon Brand's mother's deathbed, what does she proclaim?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Mayor want the people to think about before they leave with Brand? What is their reaction?
2. In the Mayor's mind, how does Brand throw a wrench in the Mayor's plan to build?
3. Explain what the form that appears to Brand tells him.
4. What has changed in Brand's life over the past year and a half (since the end of Act 4)?
5. Why does Brand think that the ice-church is unsafe?
6. When asking Brand to stay as the settlement priest, how does one man turn Brand's words against him?
7. What does Agnes find wrong with Brand's church?
8. Why does the Mayor believe the new church to be great?
9. After Brand agrees that he and Agnes must leave their home, Brand changes his mind. Why?
10. Brand sees Agnes sitting on the shore after the men who asked him to be their priest leave. What does Brand start to realize about Agnes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the religious aspect (what the Mayor could be represented as) of the Mayor handing out food/supplies to the townspeople.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the play, Brand's credo is "All or Nothing." Give three examples of Brand's confrontation with his credo and explain why the confrontation exists. Be sure to use textual evidence.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conversation between Brand and Gerd in Act 5 l 1694-1703. What is Gerd saying about Brand? Do you agree with Gerd and see Brand as the Savior? What about a martyr, or as a stigmatic? Why?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)