|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Brand decide to go at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
2. At the end of Act 3, what does Agnes offer up to God as an offering?
3. When Brand addresses the men who have come to the Woman's house, where does he say the right eye turns toward?
4. Who is seen at the top off the cliffs as Brand leaves to cross the fjord?
5. After informing Brand of his mother's death, what does the doctor tell Brand that their generation is concerned with?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Einar finds Agnes with Brand and asks her to leave with him, why doesn't Agnes leave with Einar?
2. Why does Gerd chase the hawk?
3. Why does Agnes get upset with Brand's choice to stay at the settlement?
4. What does the Mayor want the people to think about before they leave with Brand? What is their reaction?
5. Why do Einar and Agnes not see the precipice?
6. What lie does the Mayor tell the defectors that gets them to return to town?
7. Why does the Mayor try to shake Brand's hand and why does Brand refuse?
8. What does Brand believe Agnes must do to complete her dependence on Alf's memory?
9. Before the "opening" of the church, what happens after Brand shows his anger at the situation?
10. What act of nature happens as Brand if giving the townsfolk and Mayor trouble about their predicament?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several references to "light" throughout the play. Choose three examples and explain their relevance to the play.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the several biblical references seen throughout the play. Discuss the biblical reference's importance to the play and the character.
Essay Topic 3
What is the relevance of the "form" at the end of the play? What news does the "form" bring? What is Brand's reaction to the form?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)