|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Brand, what does he tell the Mayor is "the greatest triumph?"
2. After the doctor leaves, Brand has another visitor. The Man tells Brand that he has an enemy. Who does the Man tell Brand the enemy is?
3. What does Brand claim his mother did in search of fortune?
4. As the squall hits the fjord, what do the townsfolk threaten Brand with?
5. What promise does Agnes tell Brand he has failed to keep regarding their life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Agnes find wrong with Brand's church?
2. Agnes is distraught on Christmas Eve. Why?
3. After decorating for Christmas, Agnes says that she is going to bring out all of her treasure. What does her treasure consist of?
4. Describe the events leading up to, and including, Brand's death.
5. Why does Agnes get angry at Brand about having to close the blinds?
6. Why does the Mayor need Brand's help in his building?
7. After the Doctor leaves, what does the Man who comes to visit Brand come to warn him of?
8. Explain the story Gerd tells about the priest who leaves her church.
9. Before the "opening" of the church, what happens after Brand shows his anger at the situation?
10. Why does Gerd chase the hawk?
Essay Topic 1
What is the relevance of where Brand chooses to live? What natural images appear at his home that are apparent throughout the play?
Essay Topic 2
There are several references to "light" throughout the play. Choose three examples and explain their relevance to the play.
Essay Topic 3
What does Brand's credo of "All or Nothing" cost him throughout the play? Be sure to state the cost, what decision he was given regarding the credo, and the outcome of his decision.
This section contains 1,363 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)