|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brand tell his mother she must do to repay her debt?
2. What does the doctor say Brand and Agnes must do to save Alf?
3. At the end of Act 3, what does Brand ask Jesus for?
4. As Brand is waiting to hear about his mother's offering to God, what is Brand afraid God will ask of him?
5. What promise does Agnes tell Brand he has failed to keep regarding their life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Mayor really saying to Brand when talking to him about Brand's mother's fortune?
2. When asking Brand to stay as the settlement priest, how does one man turn Brand's words against him?
3. After the Doctor leaves, what does the Man who comes to visit Brand come to warn him of?
4. Why does Agnes get upset with Brand's choice to stay at the settlement?
5. What does Brand believe he has given up to be at this moment in life (the new church)?
6. Describe the events leading up to, and including, Brand's death.
7. Why does the Mayor try to shake Brand's hand and why does Brand refuse?
8. Gerd does not want Brand to go to the church in the valley. Why not? What church does Gerd want Brand to go to?
9. What does Brand believe Agnes must do to complete her dependence on Alf's memory?
10. Why is the Mayor of the settlement handing out food and supplies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Agnes is seen by Brand as a sort of visionary. Choose two of her visions and explain their relevance to the play and Brand.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the following lines: "One day the light will dawn, replete: the greatest triumph is defeat!" (Brand- Act 3, l 592-593). Discuss the comparison that Brand is making. Why is he making this comparison? What is unusual about the comparison?
Essay Topic 3
The Mayor and Brand are at war throughout the novel. Describe two of their arguments. Who do you believe to be the stronger man? Why do you believe this? Be sure to use textual evidence.
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)