|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the doctor leaves, Brand has another visitor. The Man tells Brand that he has an enemy. Who does the Man tell Brand the enemy is?
2. What does the Woman need who runs into the town as the squall hits?
3. As Brand is waiting to hear about his mother's offering to God, what is Brand afraid God will ask of him?
4. As the men return to the settlement, Brand comments on their appearance. What does he say they have been driven out of?
5. After Brand helps the Woman's husband, some men from the settlement arrive. What have they brought with them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Agnes find wrong with Brand's church?
2. Describe Einar's description of God.
3. What does the Mayor say his intentions are now that the he has claimed the war is over?
4. Why does Brand get angry at the people who have chosen to follow him up the hillside?
5. Why does the Man believe that Brand will not leave?
6. What does Brand believe Agnes must do to complete her dependence on Alf's memory?
7. Why is Brand not excited about the new church?
8. What lie does the Mayor tell the defectors that gets them to return to town?
9. Why does the Mayor need Brand's help in his building?
10. After leaving Einar and Agnes, what does Brand recognize about the valley he has come to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relevance of Gerd's hawk? What does her hawk symbolize? What is the importance of the hawk to the meaning behind the play?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the several biblical references seen throughout the play. Discuss the biblical reference's importance to the play and the character.
Essay Topic 3
Do you believe that Brand, given the chance, could save all of mankind? Why or why not (religious beliefs aside)? Remember to base your response off textual evidence.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)