|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the doctor leaves, Brand enters his house. What does he find has happened to Alf?
2. What does Brand claim his mother did in search of fortune?
3. As the squall hits the fjord, what do the townsfolk threaten Brand with?
4. As the men return to the settlement, Brand comments on their appearance. What does he say they have been driven out of?
5. Why is Brand's mother angry at and scared for Brand?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brand get carried away by Agnes' statements as she sits by the shore?
2. During the conversation between the Dean and Brand before the opening of the church, what does the Dean tell Brand are his obligations?
3. When Einar finds Agnes with Brand and asks her to leave with him, why doesn't Agnes leave with Einar?
4. What does Brand believe he has given up to be at this moment in life (the new church)?
5. After leaving Einar and Agnes, what does Brand recognize about the valley he has come to?
6. Why does the Mayor believe the new church to be great?
7. Why does Brand believe that the townsfolk have followed the Mayor's desires to this point?
8. Why is Brand not excited about the new church?
9. Why does the Man believe that Brand will not leave?
10. What does Agnes mean by saying "Whoso shall see Jehovah dies!"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brand has a sense of a divine mission given to him by God. Discuss 2-3 references throughout the play and how they point to Brand's calling.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why one may see Brand as both an exceptional missionary and a destructive person. Compare and contrast both of these sides of Brand. Why do they seem to balance each other out so well? Or do they?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the play, Gerd makes a startling statement about Brand. Explain what this statement is and why she believes it to be true.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)