|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While contemplating staying at the settlement, who finds Brand on the shore?
2. At the end of Act 3, what does Brand ask Jesus for?
3. After informing Brand of his mother's death, what does the doctor tell Brand that their generation is concerned with?
4. Where does Brand decide to go at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
5. According to Brand, what does he tell the Mayor is "the greatest triumph?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what readers find out about the fire at the Mayor's home and how he acts.
2. Explain what the form that appears to Brand tells him.
3. What is the Mayor really saying to Brand when talking to him about Brand's mother's fortune?
4. What has changed in Brand's life over the past year and a half (since the end of Act 4)?
5. Why does Agnes choose to follow Brand instead of going with Einar?
6. Why do Einar and Agnes not see the precipice?
7. Why is Brand not excited about the new church?
8. What does the Mayor say his intentions are now that the he has claimed the war is over?
9. Why does Agnes volunteer to go with Brand across the fjord when no one else will?
10. What act of nature happens as Brand if giving the townsfolk and Mayor trouble about their predicament?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Agnes is seen by Brand as a sort of visionary. Choose two of her visions and explain their relevance to the play and Brand.
Essay Topic 2
The Mayor and Brand are at war throughout the novel. Describe two of their arguments. Who do you believe to be the stronger man? Why do you believe this? Be sure to use textual evidence.
Essay Topic 3
Brand has a sense of a divine mission given to him by God. Discuss 2-3 references throughout the play and how they point to Brand's calling.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)