|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the men return to the settlement, Brand comments on their appearance. What does he say they have been driven out of?
2. What do the men say happened to the person who previously held the position for which they seek Brand?
3. Act Three begins how many years after Act Two?
4. Who goes with Brand out into the storm?
5. What is the peasant afraid will happen to Brand if he continues on the path he is following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has changed in Brand's life over the past year and a half (since the end of Act 4)?
2. Explain what the form that appears to Brand tells him.
3. After Brand agrees that he and Agnes must leave their home, Brand changes his mind. Why?
4. What does Brand believe Agnes must do to complete her dependence on Alf's memory?
5. What is the peasant willing to give up, and not give up, for a priest to visit his ailing daughter?
6. Why does the Mayor need Brand's help in his building?
7. Describe the events leading up to, and including, Brand's death.
8. Why have some of the men of the settlement come to see Brand at the woman's house?
9. What are the conditions of Brand receiving his mother's fortune?
10. Why does Brand get carried away by Agnes' statements as she sits by the shore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brand has a sense of a divine mission given to him by God. Discuss 2-3 references throughout the play and how they point to Brand's calling.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conversation between Brand and Gerd in Act 5 l 1694-1703. What is Gerd saying about Brand? Do you agree with Gerd and see Brand as the Savior? What about a martyr, or as a stigmatic? Why?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the play, Gerd makes a startling statement about Brand. Explain what this statement is and why she believes it to be true.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)