|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Brand claim sent Gerd to him?
2. Why can't Brand and the Woman go back the way she has come?
3. Upon Brand's arrival to the valley, where are all of the town's folk going to?
4. Where does Brand decide to go at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
5. When Brand addresses the men who have come to the Woman's house, where does he say the left eye turns toward?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brand get angry at the people who have chosen to follow him up the hillside?
2. After the Doctor leaves, what does the Man who comes to visit Brand come to warn him of?
3. Why does Brand think that the ice-church is unsafe?
4. What does Brand believe he has given up to be at this moment in life (the new church)?
5. During the conversation between the Dean and Brand before the opening of the church, what does the Dean tell Brand are his obligations?
6. Describe the events leading up to, and including, Brand's death.
7. Describe what readers find out about the fire at the Mayor's home and how he acts.
8. Why are Agnes and Brand not worried about the life of their son Alf?
9. Describe Einar's description of God.
10. Explain what the form that appears to Brand tells him.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Mayor and Brand are at war throughout the novel. Describe two of their arguments. Who do you believe to be the stronger man? Why do you believe this? Be sure to use textual evidence.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the several biblical references seen throughout the play. Discuss the biblical reference's importance to the play and the character.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the following lines: "One day the light will dawn, replete: the greatest triumph is defeat!" (Brand- Act 3, l 592-593). Discuss the comparison that Brand is making. Why is he making this comparison? What is unusual about the comparison?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)