|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brand claim helping the townsfolk monetarily would be?
2. What does Einar compare Agnes to?
3. What is the peasant willing to pay to ease his daughter's death?
4. What does the peasant's son fear they will encounter if they continue on their journey?
5. Despite the Mayor's argument, why does Brand deny the Mayor's request?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what the form that appears to Brand tells him.
2. After decorating for Christmas, Agnes says that she is going to bring out all of her treasure. What does her treasure consist of?
3. After the congregation comes to find Brand to begin the service, why does Brand say that he is mad (crazy)?
4. In the Mayor's mind, how does Brand throw a wrench in the Mayor's plan to build?
5. Why does Brand get carried away by Agnes' statements as she sits by the shore?
6. What are the conditions of Brand receiving his mother's fortune?
7. Why are Agnes and Brand not worried about the life of their son Alf?
8. Why does Agnes get angry at Brand about having to close the blinds?
9. Brand sees Agnes sitting on the shore after the men who asked him to be their priest leave. What does Brand start to realize about Agnes?
10. Why does Agnes volunteer to go with Brand across the fjord when no one else will?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to the play, do you believe Brand to be Savior re-born? Give textual evidence to support reasoning as to why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
What does Brand's credo of "All or Nothing" cost him throughout the play? Be sure to state the cost, what decision he was given regarding the credo, and the outcome of his decision.
Essay Topic 3
While the play is written from a Christian's view-point, many references are made to other god's. Find 2-3 of these references and discuss their importance to the play. Why do you believe that these images are included in a play that has a definite Christian tone?
This section contains 1,329 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)