|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Brand describe as "well-meaning, plump and debonair, both hands in pocket, quite sublimely like brackets in parenthesis?"
2. What does Brand tell his mother she must do to repay her debt?
3. What is the peasant willing to pay to ease his daughter's death?
4. What does Einar claim Brand has of his?
5. Agnes, holding Alf, is watching the conversation between Gerd and Brand. What does Gerd call Alf?
Short Essay Questions
1. Three years after last seeing his mother, why is Brand scanning the fjord in front of his home?
2. What is the Mayor really saying to Brand when talking to him about Brand's mother's fortune?
3. What different attempts does Brand's mother make to get him to come to her on her deathbed?
4. Describe what readers find out about the fire at the Mayor's home and how he acts.
5. Why does Agnes choose to follow Brand instead of going with Einar?
6. What does Brand believe Agnes must do to complete her dependence on Alf's memory?
7. What has changed in Brand's life over the past year and a half (since the end of Act 4)?
8. What does Agnes mean by saying "Whoso shall see Jehovah dies!"?
9. Why does the Man believe that Brand will not leave?
10. Agnes is distraught on Christmas Eve. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the several biblical references seen throughout the play. Discuss the biblical reference's importance to the play and the character.
Essay Topic 2
Agnes is seen by Brand as a sort of visionary. Choose two of her visions and explain their relevance to the play and Brand.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the play, Gerd makes a startling statement about Brand. Explain what this statement is and why she believes it to be true.
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)