|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the peasant's son fear they will encounter if they continue on their journey?
2. Where is the only place Gerd ever feels safe?
3. As the squall hits the fjord, what do the townsfolk threaten Brand with?
4. Why does Brand refuse to go with the Doctor?
5. What does Brand call his childhood home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Mayor contest Brand's viewpoint of the church being too small?
2. What lie does the Mayor tell the defectors that gets them to return to town?
3. Why does Agnes get upset with Brand's choice to stay at the settlement?
4. Why does the Mayor need Brand's help in his building?
5. What are the conditions of Brand receiving his mother's fortune?
6. Why are Agnes and Brand not worried about the life of their son Alf?
7. Why does the Mayor believe the new church to be great?
8. Why do Einar and Agnes not see the precipice?
9. What does Brand believe Agnes must do to complete her dependence on Alf's memory?
10. What does Brand's mother have to tell him about her fortune?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why one may see Brand as both an exceptional missionary and a destructive person. Compare and contrast both of these sides of Brand. Why do they seem to balance each other out so well? Or do they?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the religious aspect (what the Mayor could be represented as) of the Mayor handing out food/supplies to the townspeople.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the several biblical references seen throughout the play. Discuss the biblical reference's importance to the play and the character.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)