|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the woman refuse to go with Brand across the fjord?
2. Who does Brand describe as "well-meaning, plump and debonair, both hands in pocket, quite sublimely like brackets in parenthesis?"
3. After the discussion about the townsfolk, what does the Man say to Brand as he leaves?
4. What does Einar compare Agnes to?
5. Despite the Mayor's argument, why does Brand deny the Mayor's request?
Short Essay Questions
1. What act of nature happens as Brand if giving the townsfolk and Mayor trouble about their predicament?
2. Why does Agnes have an issue with how rigid Brand is regarding his God and faith?
3. After the Doctor leaves, what does the Man who comes to visit Brand come to warn him of?
4. Why does Brand believe that the townsfolk have followed the Mayor's desires to this point?
5. Why does the Mayor need Brand's help in his building?
6. Describe Einar's description of God.
7. What are the conditions of Brand receiving his mother's fortune?
8. Why does Agnes choose to follow Brand instead of going with Einar?
9. Why does Agnes get angry at Brand about having to close the blinds?
10. Why have some of the men of the settlement come to see Brand at the woman's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conversation between Brand and Gerd in Act 5 l 1694-1703. What is Gerd saying about Brand? Do you agree with Gerd and see Brand as the Savior? What about a martyr, or as a stigmatic? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the religious aspect (what the Mayor could be represented as) of the Mayor handing out food/supplies to the townspeople.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the play, Brand's credo is "All or Nothing." Give three examples of Brand's confrontation with his credo and explain why the confrontation exists. Be sure to use textual evidence.
This section contains 1,405 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)