|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brand call his childhood home?
2. What does Brand save Einar and Agnes from doing?
3. What is the peasant afraid will happen to Brand if he continues on the path he is following?
4. Why is Brand's mother angry at and scared for Brand?
5. As the men return to the settlement, Brand comments on their appearance. What does he say they have been driven out of?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the congregation comes to find Brand to begin the service, why does Brand say that he is mad (crazy)?
2. How did the townsfolk react to the old church being torn down?
3. What does Brand believe he has given up to be at this moment in life (the new church)?
4. Why does Brand get carried away by Agnes' statements as she sits by the shore?
5. Why does Brand get angry at the people who have chosen to follow him up the hillside?
6. Why does Agnes choose to follow Brand instead of going with Einar?
7. Why does the Man believe that Brand will not leave?
8. Why does the Mayor need Brand's help in his building?
9. When asking Brand to stay as the settlement priest, how does one man turn Brand's words against him?
10. Brand sees Agnes sitting on the shore after the men who asked him to be their priest leave. What does Brand start to realize about Agnes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several references to "light" throughout the play. Choose three examples and explain their relevance to the play.
Essay Topic 2
Do you believe that Brand, given the chance, could save all of mankind? Why or why not (religious beliefs aside)? Remember to base your response off textual evidence.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the religious aspect (what the Mayor could be represented as) of the Mayor handing out food/supplies to the townspeople.
This section contains 1,391 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)