Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the peasant not willing to give up to ease his daughter's death?
2. What is the peasant afraid will happen to Brand if he continues on the path he is following?
3. What does the peasant's son fear they will encounter if they continue on their journey?
4. What does Brand save Einar and Agnes from doing?
5. Why can't Brand and the Woman go back the way she has come?
Short Essay Questions
1. Brand decides to help the woman whose husband needs a priest. What dangerous act must Brand perform to get to her home?
2. What does Agnes find wrong with Brand's church?
3. Agnes is distraught on Christmas Eve. Why?
4. Before the "opening" of the church, what happens after Brand shows his anger at the situation?
5. Why does the Mayor need Brand's help in his building?
6. Why does Brand believe that the townsfolk have followed the Mayor's desires to this point?
7. Why does Agnes choose to follow Brand instead of going with Einar?
8. Why does Agnes volunteer to go with Brand across the fjord when no one else will?
9. Why does the Mayor believe the new church to be great?
10. During the conversation between the Dean and Brand before the opening of the church, what does the Dean tell Brand are his obligations?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the several biblical references seen throughout the play. Discuss the biblical reference's importance to the play and the character.
Essay Topic 2
What is the relevance of the "form" at the end of the play? What news does the "form" bring? What is Brand's reaction to the form?
Essay Topic 3
Brand has a sense of a divine mission given to him by God. Discuss 2-3 references throughout the play and how they point to Brand's calling.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)