|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brand call his childhood home?
2. Who does Brand describe as "well-meaning, plump and debonair, both hands in pocket, quite sublimely like brackets in parenthesis?"
3. Who is seen at the top off the cliffs as Brand leaves to cross the fjord?
4. What does Brand save Einar and Agnes from doing?
5. Where does Elinar know Brand from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before the "opening" of the church, what happens after Brand shows his anger at the situation?
2. Explain what the form that appears to Brand tells him.
3. What does the Mayor say his intentions are now that the he has claimed the war is over?
4. Why do Einar and Agnes not see the precipice?
5. Three years after last seeing his mother, why is Brand scanning the fjord in front of his home?
6. Describe what readers find out about the fire at the Mayor's home and how he acts.
7. What act of nature happens as Brand if giving the townsfolk and Mayor trouble about their predicament?
8. Why are Agnes and Brand not worried about the life of their son Alf?
9. In the Mayor's mind, how does Brand throw a wrench in the Mayor's plan to build?
10. Describe Einar's description of God.
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the several biblical references seen throughout the play. Discuss the biblical reference's importance to the play and the character.
Essay Topic 2
There are several references to "light" throughout the play. Choose three examples and explain their relevance to the play.
Essay Topic 3
While the play is written from a Christian's view-point, many references are made to other god's. Find 2-3 of these references and discuss their importance to the play. Why do you believe that these images are included in a play that has a definite Christian tone?
This section contains 1,305 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)