|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the peasant's son fear they will encounter if they continue on their journey?
2. Where are Einar and Agnes going on their journey?
3. What does Brand tell the Mayor is his cause in life?
4. Who does Brand see sitting on the shore as the Men leave to return to the settlement?
5. Brand's mother sends news that she has offered half of her fortune to God. Brand still refuses to go see her. What is Brand's mother's second offering?
Short Essay Questions
1. Agnes is distraught on Christmas Eve. Why?
2. Why are Agnes and Brand not worried about the life of their son Alf?
3. Describe the events leading up to, and including, Brand's death.
4. What does Brand's mother have to tell him about her fortune?
5. After the congregation comes to find Brand to begin the service, why does Brand say that he is mad (crazy)?
6. Why does Agnes get upset with Brand's choice to stay at the settlement?
7. What does the Mayor say his intentions are now that the he has claimed the war is over?
8. Why does Agnes get angry at Brand about having to close the blinds?
9. Why does the Man believe that Brand will not leave?
10. Why does Brand think that the ice-church is unsafe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Mayor and Brand are at war throughout the novel. Describe two of their arguments. Who do you believe to be the stronger man? Why do you believe this? Be sure to use textual evidence.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the several biblical references seen throughout the play. Discuss the biblical reference's importance to the play and the character.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the play, Brand's credo is "All or Nothing." Give three examples of Brand's confrontation with his credo and explain why the confrontation exists. Be sure to use textual evidence.
This section contains 1,347 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)