|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes with Brand out into the storm?
2. As the men return to the settlement, Brand comments on their appearance. What does he say they have been driven out of?
3. When Brand addresses the men who have come to the Woman's house, where does he say the right eye turns toward?
4. Where does Brand ask Agnes to go after his mother leaves?
5. Where does Brand decide to go at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the Doctor leaves, what does the Man who comes to visit Brand come to warn him of?
2. What does Agnes mean by saying "Whoso shall see Jehovah dies!"?
3. What does Agnes find wrong with Brand's church?
4. After the congregation comes to find Brand to begin the service, why does Brand say that he is mad (crazy)?
5. What act of nature happens as Brand if giving the townsfolk and Mayor trouble about their predicament?
6. Why does Brand get carried away by Agnes' statements as she sits by the shore?
7. What is the Mayor really saying to Brand when talking to him about Brand's mother's fortune?
8. Why does the Mayor try to shake Brand's hand and why does Brand refuse?
9. Three years after last seeing his mother, why is Brand scanning the fjord in front of his home?
10. When Einar finds Agnes with Brand and asks her to leave with him, why doesn't Agnes leave with Einar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A few times throughout the play Brand's strength weakens. Choose one of these instances and discuss the following:
1) What is happening to cause Brand's strength to falter?
2) What initial decision does Brand make regarding this issue?
3) What changes in Brand to force him to re-commit to his beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the play, Gerd makes a startling statement about Brand. Explain what this statement is and why she believes it to be true.
Essay Topic 3
What is the relevance of Gerd's hawk? What does her hawk symbolize? What is the importance of the hawk to the meaning behind the play?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)