|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brand save Einar and Agnes from doing?
2. At the end of Act 3, what does Agnes offer up to God as an offering?
3. What does Brand say will cause Gerd's church to fall?
4. Agnes, holding Alf, is watching the conversation between Gerd and Brand. What does Gerd call Alf?
5. For what reason is Brand's mother fearful?
Short Essay Questions
1. Brand sees Agnes sitting on the shore after the men who asked him to be their priest leave. What does Brand start to realize about Agnes?
2. Gerd does not want Brand to go to the church in the valley. Why not? What church does Gerd want Brand to go to?
3. What is the peasant willing to give up, and not give up, for a priest to visit his ailing daughter?
4. Why does Brand have a problem with his mother's "feeding" of the poor box and her fortune?
5. Why does Agnes get angry at Brand about having to close the blinds?
6. What are the conditions of Brand receiving his mother's fortune?
7. What does Agnes mean by saying "Whoso shall see Jehovah dies!"?
8. After the congregation comes to find Brand to begin the service, why does Brand say that he is mad (crazy)?
9. Why does Gerd chase the hawk?
10. Agnes is distraught on Christmas Eve. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relevance of the "form" at the end of the play? What news does the "form" bring? What is Brand's reaction to the form?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the religious aspect (what the Mayor could be represented as) of the Mayor handing out food/supplies to the townspeople.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the play, Brand's credo is "All or Nothing." Give three examples of Brand's confrontation with his credo and explain why the confrontation exists. Be sure to use textual evidence.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)