|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Brand claims to know the enemy. Who does Brand believe the enemy to be?
2. What does Einar claim Brand has of his?
3. What does the doctor compare Brand to when speaking to Brand about Alf.
4. As Brand is waiting to hear about his mother's offering to God, what is Brand afraid God will ask of him?
5. After the doctor leaves, Brand enters his house. What does he find has happened to Alf?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brand believe he has given up to be at this moment in life (the new church)?
2. Explain what the form that appears to Brand tells him.
3. Why is the Mayor of the settlement handing out food and supplies?
4. What different attempts does Brand's mother make to get him to come to her on her deathbed?
5. What lie does the Mayor tell the defectors that gets them to return to town?
6. Brand decides to help the woman whose husband needs a priest. What dangerous act must Brand perform to get to her home?
7. Why does Brand believe that Agnes is not honoring the Feast Day?
8. What is the Doctor's diagnosis for Alf?
9. Why does Agnes volunteer to go with Brand across the fjord when no one else will?
10. During the conversation between the Dean and Brand before the opening of the church, what does the Dean tell Brand are his obligations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the play, Brand's credo is "All or Nothing." Give three examples of Brand's confrontation with his credo and explain why the confrontation exists. Be sure to use textual evidence.
Essay Topic 2
Agnes is seen by Brand as a sort of visionary. Choose two of her visions and explain their relevance to the play and Brand.
Essay Topic 3
According to the play, do you believe Brand to be Savior re-born? Give textual evidence to support reasoning as to why or why not.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)