Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the peasant not willing to give up to ease his daughter's death?
2. What is the peasant afraid will happen to Brand if he continues on the path he is following?
3. What does the peasant's son fear they will encounter if they continue on their journey?
4. What does Brand save Einar and Agnes from doing?
5. Why can't Brand and the Woman go back the way she has come?
Short Essay Questions
1. Brand decides to help the woman whose husband needs a priest. What dangerous act must Brand perform to get to her home?
2. What does Agnes find wrong with Brand's church?
3. Agnes is distraught on Christmas Eve. Why?
4. Before the "opening" of the church, what happens after Brand shows his anger at the situation?
5. Why does the Mayor need Brand's help in his building?
6. Why does Brand believe that the townsfolk have followed the Mayor's desires to this point?
7. Why does Agnes choose to follow Brand instead of going with Einar?
8. Why does Agnes volunteer to go with Brand across the fjord when no one else will?
9. Why does the Mayor believe the new church to be great?
10. During the conversation between the Dean and Brand before the opening of the church, what does the Dean tell Brand are his obligations?
Essay Topic 1
According to the play, do you believe Brand to be Savior re-born? Give textual evidence to support reasoning as to why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
A few times throughout the play Brand's strength weakens. Choose one of these instances and discuss the following:
1) What is happening to cause Brand's strength to falter?
2) What initial decision does Brand make regarding this issue?
3) What changes in Brand to force him to re-commit to his beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the play, Gerd makes a startling statement about Brand. Explain what this statement is and why she believes it to be true.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)