|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gerd wish Brand to do in her church?
2. While contemplating staying at the settlement, who finds Brand on the shore?
3. What does Brand call his childhood home?
4. What does Brand offer the Mayor instead of money?
5. What does Brand save Einar and Agnes from doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Mayor believe the new church to be great?
2. What does Agnes find wrong with Brand's church?
3. Why do Einar and Agnes not see the precipice?
4. What act of nature happens as Brand if giving the townsfolk and Mayor trouble about their predicament?
5. Explain the story Gerd tells about the priest who leaves her church.
6. Why does Agnes get upset with Brand's choice to stay at the settlement?
7. Why does Gerd chase the hawk?
8. Before the "opening" of the church, what happens after Brand shows his anger at the situation?
9. Describe Einar's description of God.
10. Why does Brand refuse to take the blame from the townsfolk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Brand's credo of "All or Nothing" cost him throughout the play? Be sure to state the cost, what decision he was given regarding the credo, and the outcome of his decision.
Essay Topic 2
The form that appears to Brand could be looked at as a pagan image. Discuss the different views that could be attached to this form- christian and/or pagan. How could one viewpoint undermine Brand's belief in God?
Essay Topic 3
What is the relevance of Gerd's hawk? What does her hawk symbolize? What is the importance of the hawk to the meaning behind the play?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)