|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What debt does Brand claim his mother owes?
2. At the Woman's house, what have the men come to ask of Brand?
3. Why does Brand refuse to help the peasant and his daughter?
4. Where are Einar and Agnes going on their journey?
5. When Brand sees the valley for the first time, what does Brand realize about the land he has just entered?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brand get angry at the people who have chosen to follow him up the hillside?
2. Why does the Mayor believe the new church to be great?
3. After leaving Einar and Agnes, what does Brand recognize about the valley he has come to?
4. Why does Brand think that the ice-church is unsafe?
5. What is the Doctor's diagnosis for Alf?
6. Why does the Mayor contest Brand's viewpoint of the church being too small?
7. What has changed in Brand's life over the past year and a half (since the end of Act 4)?
8. Describe what readers find out about the fire at the Mayor's home and how he acts.
9. How did the townsfolk react to the old church being torn down?
10. What lie does the Mayor tell the defectors that gets them to return to town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to the play, do you believe Brand to be Savior re-born? Give textual evidence to support reasoning as to why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
What is the relevance of the "form" at the end of the play? What news does the "form" bring? What is Brand's reaction to the form?
Essay Topic 3
Brand has a sense of a divine mission given to him by God. Discuss 2-3 references throughout the play and how they point to Brand's calling.
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)