|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although the Man tells Brand that he has helped the people of the settlement, what does Brand claim is the problem with the people?
2. After informing Brand of his mother's death, what does the doctor tell Brand that their generation is concerned with?
3. Gerd arrives just after the Man leaves. What is Gerd saying has happened?
4. Where does Brand ask Agnes to go after his mother leaves?
5. What does the Man call Brand when Brand says the mayor has been telling the truth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has changed in Brand's life over the past year and a half (since the end of Act 4)?
2. What different attempts does Brand's mother make to get him to come to her on her deathbed?
3. What is the Mayor really saying to Brand when talking to him about Brand's mother's fortune?
4. Why does Brand get angry at the people who have chosen to follow him up the hillside?
5. Describe Einar's description of God.
6. Why does Agnes get angry at Brand about having to close the blinds?
7. What does the Mayor want the people to think about before they leave with Brand? What is their reaction?
8. What does Agnes find wrong with Brand's church?
9. Why does Brand have a problem with his mother's "feeding" of the poor box and her fortune?
10. Explain the story Gerd tells about the priest who leaves her church.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brand has a sense of a divine mission given to him by God. Discuss 2-3 references throughout the play and how they point to Brand's calling.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the religious aspect (what the Mayor could be represented as) of the Mayor handing out food/supplies to the townspeople.
Essay Topic 3
There are several references to "light" throughout the play. Choose three examples and explain their relevance to the play.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)