|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Brand and the Woman go back the way she has come?
2. What does Brand tell the Mayor is his cause in life?
3. What does Brand claim his mother did in search of fortune?
4. Why does Agnes believe "all earthly souls are doomed to fail?"
5. What does the Man call Brand when Brand says the mayor has been telling the truth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Doctor's diagnosis for Alf?
2. Why does Brand get angry at the people who have chosen to follow him up the hillside?
3. Why does Brand think that the ice-church is unsafe?
4. Describe Einar's description of God.
5. Brand decides to help the woman whose husband needs a priest. What dangerous act must Brand perform to get to her home?
6. What are the conditions of Brand receiving his mother's fortune?
7. What is the Mayor really saying to Brand when talking to him about Brand's mother's fortune?
8. How did the townsfolk react to the old church being torn down?
9. Why does the Mayor believe the new church to be great?
10. What does the Mayor want the people to think about before they leave with Brand? What is their reaction?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the several biblical references seen throughout the play. Discuss the biblical reference's importance to the play and the character.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the play, Brand's credo is "All or Nothing." Give three examples of Brand's confrontation with his credo and explain why the confrontation exists. Be sure to use textual evidence.
Essay Topic 3
What is the relevance of the "form" at the end of the play? What news does the "form" bring? What is Brand's reaction to the form?
This section contains 1,359 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)