|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon Brand's arrival to the valley, where are all of the town's folk going to?
2. What promise does Agnes tell Brand he has failed to keep regarding their life?
3. What does Brand tell his mother she must do to repay her debt?
4. After Brand helps the Woman's husband, some men from the settlement arrive. What have they brought with them?
5. The play begins in what country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brand refuse to take the blame from the townsfolk?
2. What has changed in Brand's life over the past year and a half (since the end of Act 4)?
3. During the conversation between the Dean and Brand before the opening of the church, what does the Dean tell Brand are his obligations?
4. Brand decides to help the woman whose husband needs a priest. What dangerous act must Brand perform to get to her home?
5. After the congregation comes to find Brand to begin the service, why does Brand say that he is mad (crazy)?
6. When asking Brand to stay as the settlement priest, how does one man turn Brand's words against him?
7. Agnes is distraught on Christmas Eve. Why?
8. Why does Agnes volunteer to go with Brand across the fjord when no one else will?
9. What different attempts does Brand's mother make to get him to come to her on her deathbed?
10. Describe the events leading up to, and including, Brand's death.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A few times throughout the play Brand's strength weakens. Choose one of these instances and discuss the following:
1) What is happening to cause Brand's strength to falter?
2) What initial decision does Brand make regarding this issue?
3) What changes in Brand to force him to re-commit to his beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
The Mayor and Brand are at war throughout the novel. Describe two of their arguments. Who do you believe to be the stronger man? Why do you believe this? Be sure to use textual evidence.
Essay Topic 3
What is the relevance of Gerd's hawk? What does her hawk symbolize? What is the importance of the hawk to the meaning behind the play?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)