|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Agnes has a vision. What does she claim to have seen in this vision?
2. What does Brand tell his mother she must do to repay her debt?
3. What is the peasant willing to pay to ease his daughter's death?
4. Gerd arrives just after the Man leaves. What is Gerd saying has happened?
5. What does Brand threaten to do with his inheritance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brand believe he has given up to be at this moment in life (the new church)?
2. Explain the story Gerd tells about the priest who leaves her church.
3. Why does Brand have a problem with his mother's "feeding" of the poor box and her fortune?
4. In the Mayor's mind, how does Brand throw a wrench in the Mayor's plan to build?
5. After Brand agrees that he and Agnes must leave their home, Brand changes his mind. Why?
6. What is the peasant willing to give up, and not give up, for a priest to visit his ailing daughter?
7. Why does Agnes volunteer to go with Brand across the fjord when no one else will?
8. What does Agnes find wrong with Brand's church?
9. Why does Brand believe that Agnes is not honoring the Feast Day?
10. Describe Einar's description of God.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the religious aspect (what the Mayor could be represented as) of the Mayor handing out food/supplies to the townspeople.
Essay Topic 2
Agnes is seen by Brand as a sort of visionary. Choose two of her visions and explain their relevance to the play and Brand.
Essay Topic 3
The form that appears to Brand could be looked at as a pagan image. Discuss the different views that could be attached to this form- christian and/or pagan. How could one viewpoint undermine Brand's belief in God?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)