|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is frozen in the ice near Gerd's church?
2. Why does Agnes believe "all earthly souls are doomed to fail?"
3. Gerd arrives just after the Man leaves. What is Gerd saying has happened?
4. At the opening of Act 2, Scene One, what is the mayor handing out to the townsfolk?
5. After the doctor leaves, Brand enters his house. What does he find has happened to Alf?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brand have a problem with his mother's "feeding" of the poor box and her fortune?
2. Why does Agnes have an issue with how rigid Brand is regarding his God and faith?
3. Describe Einar's description of God.
4. Why does Brand refuse to take the blame from the townsfolk?
5. Why does the Mayor try to shake Brand's hand and why does Brand refuse?
6. Why do Einar and Agnes not see the precipice?
7. How did the townsfolk react to the old church being torn down?
8. When asking Brand to stay as the settlement priest, how does one man turn Brand's words against him?
9. Why does the Man believe that Brand will not leave?
10. After leaving Einar and Agnes, what does Brand recognize about the valley he has come to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Brand's credo of "All or Nothing" cost him throughout the play? Be sure to state the cost, what decision he was given regarding the credo, and the outcome of his decision.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the play, Gerd makes a startling statement about Brand. Explain what this statement is and why she believes it to be true.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the play, Brand's credo is "All or Nothing." Give three examples of Brand's confrontation with his credo and explain why the confrontation exists. Be sure to use textual evidence.
This section contains 1,349 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)