|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What proverb does Agnes speak of as she is talking to Brand about his convictions?
(a) "Light the lifting, hard the bearing."
(b) "A broken hand works, but not a broken heart."
(c) "He makes his home where the living is best."
(d) "A drowning man is not troubled by rain."
2. What does the Mayor expect Brand to wear during his sermon in the new church?
(a) The pin from Alf's christening gown.
(b) The flag of the setlement.
(c) The colors of the settlement.
(d) The order's cross.
3. As Brand is contemplating his conversation with the dean, he states "That churchyard's watered with my bleeding;
my light, my life, lie buried there:---- but not my (_____), that they'll not snare!" What will "they" not snare?
(a) His love.
(b) His church.
(c) His soul.
(d) His faith.
4. According to Brand, what is a corpse's only task?
(a) Raising from the dead to seek vengence.
(b) Giving nourishment to new seeds.
(c) Harbor a soul until death.
(d) To give those living something tangible to mourn.
5. As the congregation pours into the church to find Brand, what do the priests claim is wrong with him?
(a) That he has gone mad.
(b) That he has paired with the Devil.
(c) That he is under a spell.
(d) That he is ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. Brand informs the Mayor of his own plans to build. Initially, what does the Mayor say about Brand's plans?
2. What form appears to Brand after he has been chased from the hilltop by the congregation?
3. While Brand and the Mayor are discussing different building hopes, what does Brand think is needed most?
4. The mayor comes to visit Brand claiming that he has been beaten. Why has Brand won the war?
5. During Brand's impromptu sermon, why does the Dean claim Brand is not worth following?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)