|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Brand informs the mayor that he will finance the re-building of the church. How does Brand intend to do this?
(a) With the money he gets from the congregation.
(b) With Agnes' money.
(c) With the money he has earned on his own.
(d) With his mother's money.
2. The schoolmaster and the sexton are talking about Brand. According to them, why is Brand different?
(a) Agnes has died and he cannot hide the sorrow.
(b) Alf has just died and Brand must preside over the funeral.
(c) He sees the new church as a path to greater power for him.
(d) He is trying to leave the church and become the mayor.
3. What do Brand's followers do once they believe that he has misled them?
(a) They arrest him and put him in the prison.
(b) They push him off of the hillside.
(c) They pass word throughout the land not to trst him.
(d) They throw stones at him.
4. After telling the congregation to leave, what does Brand do with the keys to the church?
(a) Throws them into a fire.
(b) Hands them to the Dean.
(c) Hands them to the Mayor.
(d) Throws them into the river.
5. The schoolmaster ans the sexton are discussing the old church. What do they claim fell along with the walls of the church?
(a) The lives of the townsfolk.
(b) Gerd's life.
(c) The spirits that dwelled in the church.
(d) Agnes' life.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Brand is speaking aloud to himself in Act 4, he talks about a gift that Agnes possesses. What is the gift that he tells of?
2. In the opening of Act 5, Scene 2, what are Brand's followers doing as they follow him up the hillside?
3. What news does the new arrival to the hillside tell Brand's followers is reason to return to the settlement?
4. As Brand is contemplating his conversation with the dean, he states "That churchyard's watered with my bleeding; my light, my life, lie buried there:---- but not my (_____), that they'll not snare!" What will "they" not snare?
5. A plaque has been set up displaying Brand's name. What metal is the plaque made of?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)