|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The schoolmaster and the sexton are talking about the fire at the mayor's home. When the mayor says, "O, that can go to hell," what do they say he is talking about?
(a) His home.
(b) His soul.
(c) His son.
2. What two characters find Brand's followers on the hillside to persuade them to return home?
(a) The Mayor and his clerk.
(b) The Mayor and the Dean.
(c) The Dean and the Mayor's clerk.
(d) Gerd and Einar.
3. What does Brand find out from the mayor about Gerd?
(a) That she will destroy their plans to re-build the church.
(b) That she escaped from another town asylum.
(c) That she is his sister.
(d) That she is his aunt.
4. At the end of Act 5, Scene 1, what does the Dean decide to do?
(a) Become a member of Brand's "new" congregation.
(b) Nothing...he believes it has all gone too far.
(c) Follow Brand up the mountain to keep the "flock from straying farther".
(d) Return to town to talk to the Mayor about what they are going to do with Brand.
5. Brand informs the mayor that he will finance the re-building of the church. How does Brand intend to do this?
(a) With the money he gets from the congregation.
(b) With the money he has earned on his own.
(c) With Agnes' money.
(d) With his mother's money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Brand's followers do once they believe that he has misled them?
2. During Brand's contemplation of the Mayor's visit, what word does he say "slips smoothly enough from off the lips?"
3. The mayor comes to visit Brand claiming that he has been beaten. Why has Brand won the war?
4. What are the three things that the committee of the church has decided to give to Brand?
5. The Mayor comes to see Brand and tells Brand that the congregation is waiting for him. What does Brand say to the Mayor's request to begin his sermon?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)