|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Brand is speaking aloud to himself in Act 4, he talks about a gift that Agnes possesses. What is the gift that he tells of?
(a) Her ability to see great things in small things.
(b) Her ability to heal the dying.
(c) Her ability to see destruction before it happens.
(d) Her ability to push forward.
2. What news does the new arrival to the hillside tell Brand's followers is reason to return to the settlement?
(a) That the Mayor has promised not to punish those who left with Brand.
(b) That the church is burning and they need help to put it out.
(c) That the fish have returned to the fjord.
(d) That a new priest has come to take over the church.
3. In regard to the fire at the mayor's home, what is the mayor concerned with saving?
(a) His children.
(b) His soul.
(c) His wife.
4. According to Brand, what is a corpse's only task?
(a) Giving nourishment to new seeds.
(b) Raising from the dead to seek vengence.
(c) To give those living something tangible to mourn.
(d) Harbor a soul until death.
5. In Act 4, Part 3, Agnes has entered the room Brand is in to decorate the room. What does he order her to do?
(a) Close the shades.
(b) Leave him to think.
(c) Put out more candles.
(d) Stop with the festivities.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Brand and the Mayor are discussing different building hopes, what does Brand think is needed most?
2. What two characters find Brand's followers on the hillside to persuade them to return home?
3. Brand informs the mayor that he will finance the re-building of the church. How does Brand intend to do this?
4. As Brand is contemplating his conversation with the dean, he states "That churchyard's watered with my bleeding; my light, my life, lie buried there:---- but not my (_____), that they'll not snare!" What will "they" not snare?
5. While discussing the number of people come to the new church, where do the schoolmaster and sexton wish they could go?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)