|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Gerd chasing when she meets Brand?
(a) A wolf.
(b) A hawk.
(c) A butterfly.
(d) A dog.
2. At the end of Act 3, what does Agnes offer up to God as an offering?
3. What is the peasant afraid will happen to Brand if he continues on the path he is following?
(a) He will fall through the ice.
(b) He will trip on the underbrush.
(c) He will be attacked by wild animals.
(d) He will die from pneumonia.
4. What does Brand call his childhood home?
(a) Brimstone manor.
(b) God's window.
(c) Widow's place.
(d) The Devil's palace.
5. Why does Brand refuse to help the peasant and his daughter?
(a) Because he does not know God.
(b) Because he refuses to pay for Brand's services.
(c) Because Brand claims the peasant has no soul.
(d) Because Brand's son refuses to let him help.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doctor compare Brand to when speaking to Brand about Alf.
2. What news does the doctor bring to Brand as he and Agnes are discussing the weaknesses of man?
3. What does Brand tell his mother she must do to repay her debt?
4. Why can't Brand and the Woman go back the way she has come?
5. Brand accuses Agnes of being afraid. What does he believe she is scared of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Agnes find wrong with Brand's church?
2. Why have some of the men of the settlement come to see Brand at the woman's house?
3. How did the townsfolk react to the old church being torn down?
4. Explain what the form that appears to Brand tells him.
5. Why are Agnes and Brand not worried about the life of their son Alf?
6. Why does the Mayor believe the new church to be great?
7. Why does Brand refuse to take the blame from the townsfolk?
8. Why does Agnes get angry at Brand about having to close the blinds?
9. What is the peasant willing to give up, and not give up, for a priest to visit his ailing daughter?
10. Three years after last seeing his mother, why is Brand scanning the fjord in front of his home?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)