|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Brand addresses the men who have come to the Woman's house, where does he say the left eye turns toward?
(c) Away from danger.
2. What does the doctor compare Brand to when speaking to Brand about Alf.
(a) A shipwrecked man.
(b) A snake.
(c) A sheep.
(d) A prisioner.
3. At the end of Act 3, what does Agnes offer up to God as an offering?
4. Who does Brand's mother wish to take the glare of blinding light away?
(c) The Devil.
5. Brand claims to know the enemy. Who does Brand believe the enemy to be?
(a) The Devil.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is frozen in the ice near Gerd's church?
2. Who does Brand describe as "well-meaning, plump and debonair, both hands in pocket, quite sublimely like brackets in parenthesis?"
3. According to Brand, what does he tell the Mayor is "the greatest triumph?"
4. While contemplating staying at the settlement, who finds Brand on the shore?
5. What does the peasant's son fear they will encounter if they continue on their journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Agnes get angry at Brand about having to close the blinds?
2. Why does Brand believe that the townsfolk have followed the Mayor's desires to this point?
3. Why do Einar and Agnes not see the precipice?
4. When asking Brand to stay as the settlement priest, how does one man turn Brand's words against him?
5. Why does Gerd chase the hawk?
6. Why does Agnes choose to follow Brand instead of going with Einar?
7. What are the conditions of Brand receiving his mother's fortune?
8. Describe Einar's description of God.
9. Why does Brand believe that Agnes is not honoring the Feast Day?
10. Why are Agnes and Brand not worried about the life of their son Alf?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)