|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although the Man tells Brand that he has helped the people of the settlement, what does Brand claim is the problem with the people?
(a) They do not really care.
(b) They are helpless.
(c) They are blind.
(d) They are deaf.
2. What does Brand offer the Mayor instead of money?
(a) A cow.
(b) A prayer.
(c) His help.
(d) His words.
3. What does Brand claim helping the townsfolk monetarily would be?
(a) A pleasure.
(c) A miracle.
(d) A sin.
4. In the beginning of Act Three, why is Brand anxiously looking out over the fjord?
(a) He is waiting for the ships to come in.
(b) He is waiting for a doctor.
(c) He is waiting for his son to return from war.
(d) He is waiting for news of his mother.
5. What does Brand threaten to do with his inheritance?
(a) Squander it on meaningless possessions.
(b) Throw it to the winds.
(c) Buy the settlement and become the Mayor.
(d) Give it to his brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Brand refuse to help the peasant and his daughter?
2. What does the Woman tell Brand her husband has done?
3. After informing Brand of his mother's death, what does the doctor tell Brand that their generation is concerned with?
4. What does Brand claim his mother did in search of fortune?
5. What does the Woman need who runs into the town as the squall hits?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brand believe that Agnes is not honoring the Feast Day?
2. Brand decides to help the woman whose husband needs a priest. What dangerous act must Brand perform to get to her home?
3. Why does the Man believe that Brand will not leave?
4. During the conversation between the Dean and Brand before the opening of the church, what does the Dean tell Brand are his obligations?
5. Why does Agnes get upset with Brand's choice to stay at the settlement?
6. Why does the Mayor believe the new church to be great?
7. Why does Gerd chase the hawk?
8. What does Brand believe Agnes must do to complete her dependence on Alf's memory?
9. Agnes is distraught on Christmas Eve. Why?
10. After Brand agrees that he and Agnes must leave their home, Brand changes his mind. Why?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)