|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the doctor leaves, Brand has another visitor. The Man tells Brand that he has an enemy. Who does the Man tell Brand the enemy is?
(a) The man.
(d) The mayor.
2. What is frozen in the ice near Gerd's church?
(a) A lion.
(b) A reindeer.
(c) A bear.
(d) A hawk.
3. What is Gerd chasing when she meets Brand?
(a) A wolf.
(b) A butterfly.
(c) A dog.
(d) A hawk.
4. What does the Mayor warn Man Two not to do after discovering that his wife has died?
(a) Marry again.
(b) Abandon his children.
(c) Start any trouble.
(d) Leave town.
5. What does Brand say will cause Gerd's church to fall?
(a) Nothing- the church will withstand everything.
(b) The earth trembling because of the choir singing.
(c) Squalls, shouting, and rifle shots.
(d) The sun and the moon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the peasant willing to pay to ease his daughter's death?
2. As Brand is contemplating the doctor's prognosis, what does the doctor claim about Brand?
3. Who does Gerd threaten when she leaves to go to church?
4. What does the Man claim Brand has shown the townsfolk?
5. What does Brand claim made his life more bearable?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gerd chase the hawk?
2. When asking Brand to stay as the settlement priest, how does one man turn Brand's words against him?
3. Why does the Mayor try to shake Brand's hand and why does Brand refuse?
4. After leaving Einar and Agnes, what does Brand recognize about the valley he has come to?
5. Why does Brand believe that Agnes is not honoring the Feast Day?
6. Why does the word "churchyard" bother Agnes?
7. Brand sees Agnes sitting on the shore after the men who asked him to be their priest leave. What does Brand start to realize about Agnes?
8. What does Brand's mother have to tell him about her fortune?
9. How did the townsfolk react to the old church being torn down?
10. What is the peasant willing to give up, and not give up, for a priest to visit his ailing daughter?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)