|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the peasant not willing to give up to ease his daughter's death?
(a) HIs wealth.
(b) His life.
(c) His home.
(d) His land.
2. What is the peasant afraid will happen to Brand if he continues on the path he is following?
(a) He will trip on the underbrush.
(b) He will fall through the ice.
(c) He will be attacked by wild animals.
(d) He will die from pneumonia.
3. What does the peasant's son fear they will encounter if they continue on their journey?
(a) The nobles of the area.
(b) Wild animals.
(c) Bad weather.
4. What does Brand save Einar and Agnes from doing?
(a) Being attacked by a lion.
(b) Falling off a cliff.
(c) Falling over a waterfall.
(d) Being robbed by gypsys.
5. Why can't Brand and the Woman go back the way she has come?
(a) Her husband is looking for her and has a gun.
(b) The river has flooded and cannot be crossed on foot.
(c) A pack of wild animals guards the pass.
(d) The bridge was destroyed by the storm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gerd say her church is built out of?
2. How does one of the men convince Brand to stay in the settlement?
3. What do readers find out Brand's mother did to his father while he lay on his deathbed?
4. Why does the woman refuse to go with Brand across the fjord?
5. As Brand is waiting to hear about his mother's offering to God, what is Brand afraid God will ask of him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Brand decides to help the woman whose husband needs a priest. What dangerous act must Brand perform to get to her home?
2. What does Agnes find wrong with Brand's church?
3. Agnes is distraught on Christmas Eve. Why?
4. Before the "opening" of the church, what happens after Brand shows his anger at the situation?
5. Why does the Mayor need Brand's help in his building?
6. Why does Brand believe that the townsfolk have followed the Mayor's desires to this point?
7. Why does Agnes choose to follow Brand instead of going with Einar?
8. Why does Agnes volunteer to go with Brand across the fjord when no one else will?
9. Why does the Mayor believe the new church to be great?
10. During the conversation between the Dean and Brand before the opening of the church, what does the Dean tell Brand are his obligations?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)