|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What debt does Brand claim his mother owes?
(a) A debt to the Devil.
(b) A debt to God.
(c) A debt to the bank.
(d) A debt to him.
2. Where does Brand ask Agnes to go after his mother leaves?
(a) To the mountains to elope.
(b) To cleanse their souls.
(c) To the funeral he is to preside over.
(d) To the settlement to prepare for his return.
3. In the opening act, who is with Brand?
(a) A peasant and his son.
(b) His wife and a maid.
(c) The schoolmaster and a clerk.
(d) No one- he is alone.
4. What is frozen in the ice near Gerd's church?
(a) A hawk.
(b) A bear.
(c) A lion.
(d) A reindeer.
5. How does Brand think Einar see God?
(a) As a child.
(b) As non-existant..Einar does not believe in God.
(c) As a young, strong man.
(d) As a cripple.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doctor compare Brand to when speaking to Brand about Alf.
2. As Brand finishes his soliloquy, what falls on the ground next to him?
3. What does Brand claim his mother did in search of fortune?
4. Brand's mother sends news that she has offered half of her fortune to God. Brand still refuses to go see her. What is Brand's mother's second offering?
5. Where does Brand decide to go at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lie does the Mayor tell the defectors that gets them to return to town?
2. Why does Brand have a problem with his mother's "feeding" of the poor box and her fortune?
3. Gerd does not want Brand to go to the church in the valley. Why not? What church does Gerd want Brand to go to?
4. Why does Brand believe that the townsfolk have followed the Mayor's desires to this point?
5. Why does Brand get carried away by Agnes' statements as she sits by the shore?
6. What does Agnes mean by saying "Whoso shall see Jehovah dies!"?
7. Why does Agnes choose to follow Brand instead of going with Einar?
8. When asking Brand to stay as the settlement priest, how does one man turn Brand's words against him?
9. In the Mayor's mind, how does Brand throw a wrench in the Mayor's plan to build?
10. What different attempts does Brand's mother make to get him to come to her on her deathbed?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)