|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Brand accuses Agnes of being afraid. What does he believe she is scared of?
(a) Losing thier son due to ilness.
(b) Losing her sanity by living in the mountains.
(c) Losing the wealth promised by Brand's mother.
(d) Losing Brand due to illness.
2. According to Brand, who must one love first before they can love all mankind?
(a) A child.
(d) One other person.
3. Who does Brand claim sent Gerd to him?
(a) The doctor.
(b) The mayor.
(c) The Man.
4. What does Brand save Einar and Agnes from doing?
(a) Falling over a waterfall.
(b) Being attacked by a lion.
(c) Falling off a cliff.
(d) Being robbed by gypsys.
5. What does the doctor compare Brand to when speaking to Brand about Alf.
(a) A shipwrecked man.
(b) A sheep.
(c) A snake.
(d) A prisioner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the peasant willing to pay to ease his daughter's death?
2. What does Brand tell the Mayor is his cause in life?
3. What does the Mayor warn Man Two not to do after discovering that his wife has died?
4. What news does the doctor bring to Brand as he and Agnes are discussing the weaknesses of man?
5. Who does Brand's mother wish to take the glare of blinding light away?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the congregation comes to find Brand to begin the service, why does Brand say that he is mad (crazy)?
2. Why does Agnes have an issue with how rigid Brand is regarding his God and faith?
3. Why does Brand get carried away by Agnes' statements as she sits by the shore?
4. When asking Brand to stay as the settlement priest, how does one man turn Brand's words against him?
5. Why does the word "churchyard" bother Agnes?
6. Brand decides to help the woman whose husband needs a priest. What dangerous act must Brand perform to get to her home?
7. Why does Brand believe that the townsfolk have followed the Mayor's desires to this point?
8. What different attempts does Brand's mother make to get him to come to her on her deathbed?
9. What does Agnes mean by saying "Whoso shall see Jehovah dies!"?
10. What has changed in Brand's life over the past year and a half (since the end of Act 4)?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)