|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men say happened to the person who previously held the position for which they seek Brand?
(a) He drowned in a squall crossing the fjord.
(b) He died because of the famine.
(c) He was captured by the nobels of the land.
(d) He left because they could not pay him enough.
2. Agnes has a vision. What does she claim to have seen in this vision?
(a) Brand walking into the fjord and never returning.
(b) Brand leaving forever.
(c) Brand becoming the town's Mayor.
(d) Brand becoming the town's priest.
3. What is frozen in the ice near Gerd's church?
(a) A hawk.
(b) A reindeer.
(c) A bear.
(d) A lion.
4. After the doctor leaves, Brand enters his house. What does he find has happened to Alf?
(a) Alf is dead.
(b) Alf is very ill.
(c) Alf has burned himself on the stove.
(d) Alf has ran away.
5. Why can't Brand and the Woman go back the way she has come?
(a) The bridge was destroyed by the storm.
(b) Her husband is looking for her and has a gun.
(c) The river has flooded and cannot be crossed on foot.
(d) A pack of wild animals guards the pass.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Brand, what does he tell the Mayor is "the greatest triumph?"
2. Who is seen at the top off the cliffs as Brand leaves to cross the fjord?
3. Who does Brand's mother wish to take the glare of blinding light away?
4. Why does Brand refuse to help the peasant and his daughter?
5. What does Brand claim his mother did in search of fortune?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the conditions of Brand receiving his mother's fortune?
2. What does Agnes find wrong with Brand's church?
3. Why is Brand not excited about the new church?
4. Explain the story Gerd tells about the priest who leaves her church.
5. Why does the Man believe that Brand will not leave?
6. After leaving Einar and Agnes, what does Brand recognize about the valley he has come to?
7. After decorating for Christmas, Agnes says that she is going to bring out all of her treasure. What does her treasure consist of?
8. Why does Agnes choose to follow Brand instead of going with Einar?
9. Why does the Mayor need Brand's help in his building?
10. What has changed in Brand's life over the past year and a half (since the end of Act 4)?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)