|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Woman tell Brand her husband has done?
(a) Gambled away their savings.
(b) Ran off with a neighbor girl.
(c) Killed their child.
(d) Killed a neighbor.
2. Act Three begins how many years after Act Two?
3. For what reason is Brand's mother fearful?
(a) Because she will be imprisoned since he returned to the settlement.
(b) Because Agnes looks poor and she wishes more for her son.
(c) Because she will starve since he forgot to pay for her food.
(d) Because he could have died crossing the fjord and is the only family member she has left.
4. Although the Man tells Brand that he has helped the people of the settlement, what does Brand claim is the problem with the people?
(a) They are deaf.
(b) They do not really care.
(c) They are helpless.
(d) They are blind.
5. As Brand is waiting to hear about his mother's offering to God, what is Brand afraid God will ask of him?
(a) To give up his son like Isaac.
(b) To give up the priesthood.
(c) To leave Agnes, his one true love.
(d) To marry Gerd.
Short Answer Questions
1. While talking about Alf the Brand, what does the doctor claim that Brand is running from?
2. What does Einar compare Agnes to?
3. Agnes has a vision. What does she claim to have seen in this vision?
4. Where are Einar and Agnes going on their journey?
5. While arguing with Brand about the settlement's faith, what does the Mayor say his congregation CAN shed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the conditions of Brand receiving his mother's fortune?
2. What is the Mayor really saying to Brand when talking to him about Brand's mother's fortune?
3. In the Mayor's mind, how does Brand throw a wrench in the Mayor's plan to build?
4. Why does Brand believe that Agnes is not honoring the Feast Day?
5. Explain the story Gerd tells about the priest who leaves her church.
6. Why do Einar and Agnes not see the precipice?
7. Why does the word "churchyard" bother Agnes?
8. Why does the Mayor believe the new church to be great?
9. Describe Einar's description of God.
10. Why does Brand refuse to take the blame from the townsfolk?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)