|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Brand think Einar see God?
(a) As a young, strong man.
(b) As non-existant..Einar does not believe in God.
(c) As a child.
(d) As a cripple.
2. Who does Brand describe as "well-meaning, plump and debonair, both hands in pocket, quite sublimely like brackets in parenthesis?"
(b) The Mayor.
(c) The doctor.
3. What does Brand claim his mother did in search of fortune?
(a) Abandoned him at an orphanage.
(b) Brought prasie to God.
(c) Put her soul up for sale.
(d) Cheated on his father.
4. At the Woman's house, what have the men come to ask of Brand?
(a) To be their priest.
(b) To be their Mayor.
(c) To be their farmer.
(d) To be the prision guard.
5. What does the Woman need who runs into the town as the squall hits?
(a) A priest.
(b) A horse.
(c) A doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Act 3, what does Agnes offer up to God as an offering?
2. What is the one condition Brand's mother tells him regarding her fortune that is left to him?
3. Who goes with Brand out into the storm?
4. Who does Gerd threaten when she leaves to go to church?
5. What is the peasant willing to pay to ease his daughter's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brand believe that the townsfolk have followed the Mayor's desires to this point?
2. Why does Brand have a problem with his mother's "feeding" of the poor box and her fortune?
3. What is the Mayor really saying to Brand when talking to him about Brand's mother's fortune?
4. What is the Doctor's diagnosis for Alf?
5. Why does the Man believe that Brand will not leave?
6. Why have some of the men of the settlement come to see Brand at the woman's house?
7. Explain the story Gerd tells about the priest who leaves her church.
8. In the Mayor's mind, how does Brand throw a wrench in the Mayor's plan to build?
9. After decorating for Christmas, Agnes says that she is going to bring out all of her treasure. What does her treasure consist of?
10. Why do Einar and Agnes not see the precipice?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)