|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the one condition Brand's mother tells him regarding her fortune that is left to him?
(a) He must not gamble with his life.
(b) He must leave the settlement.
(c) He must marry Gerd.
(d) He must never be seen with Agnes again.
2. What does Brand claim made his life more bearable?
(a) Agnes and Alf.
(b) Gerd and the Ice Church.
(c) His mother's love.
(d) His position as Mayor of the settlement.
3. As the men return to the settlement, Brand comments on their appearance. What does he say they have been driven out of?
(b) The fjord.
4. At the Woman's house, what have the men come to ask of Brand?
(a) To be their priest.
(b) To be the prision guard.
(c) To be their farmer.
(d) To be their Mayor.
5. What does the Woman tell Brand her husband has done?
(a) Ran off with a neighbor girl.
(b) Gambled away their savings.
(c) Killed a neighbor.
(d) Killed their child.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Brand is waiting to hear about his mother's offering to God, what is Brand afraid God will ask of him?
2. During Brand's conversation with the Mayor about his inheritance, what does Brand realize the Mayor is saying?
3. Brand accuses Agnes of being afraid. What does he believe she is scared of?
4. When Brand enters the fjord, why does the Mayor ask Brand for money?
5. After the doctor leaves, Brand enters his house. What does he find has happened to Alf?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brand believe Agnes must do to complete her dependence on Alf's memory?
2. Why does Brand get angry at the people who have chosen to follow him up the hillside?
3. Why does Agnes have an issue with how rigid Brand is regarding his God and faith?
4. Why does the Mayor believe the new church to be great?
5. Describe Einar's description of God.
6. Brand decides to help the woman whose husband needs a priest. What dangerous act must Brand perform to get to her home?
7. What does the Mayor say his intentions are now that the he has claimed the war is over?
8. Why does Brand have a problem with his mother's "feeding" of the poor box and her fortune?
9. Why does Brand believe that Agnes is not honoring the Feast Day?
10. What is the peasant willing to give up, and not give up, for a priest to visit his ailing daughter?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)