|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Brand call his childhood home?
(a) Widow's place.
(b) Brimstone manor.
(c) God's window.
(d) The Devil's palace.
2. As the squall hits the fjord, what do the townsfolk threaten Brand with?
(a) Guns and torches.
(b) Throwing him into the storm.
(c) Stones and knives.
3. Although the Man tells Brand that he has helped the people of the settlement, what does Brand claim is the problem with the people?
(a) They are blind.
(b) They do not really care.
(c) They are helpless.
(d) They are deaf.
4. Act Three begins how many years after Act Two?
5. After Brand helps the Woman's husband, some men from the settlement arrive. What have they brought with them?
(a) Weapons to kill him.
(b) Scraps of food.
(d) A new boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Brand, what does he tell the Mayor is "the greatest triumph?"
2. At the Woman's house, what have the men come to ask of Brand?
3. As Brand finishes his soliloquy, what falls on the ground next to him?
4. What does Brand claim helping the townsfolk monetarily would be?
5. At the end of Act 3, what does Agnes offer up to God as an offering?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Einar's description of God.
2. Brand sees Agnes sitting on the shore after the men who asked him to be their priest leave. What does Brand start to realize about Agnes?
3. After leaving Einar and Agnes, what does Brand recognize about the valley he has come to?
4. Why does the Mayor believe the new church to be great?
5. What does the Mayor want the people to think about before they leave with Brand? What is their reaction?
6. Why is the Mayor of the settlement handing out food and supplies?
7. When asking Brand to stay as the settlement priest, how does one man turn Brand's words against him?
8. After the Doctor leaves, what does the Man who comes to visit Brand come to warn him of?
9. What is the Doctor's diagnosis for Alf?
10. Why are Agnes and Brand not worried about the life of their son Alf?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)