|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Act 3, what does Agnes offer up to God as an offering?
2. As Brand finishes his soliloquy, what falls on the ground next to him?
(a) A bible.
(b) A scarf.
(c) A rock.
(d) A bird.
3. What does the Woman tell Brand her husband has done?
(a) Ran off with a neighbor girl.
(b) Killed their child.
(c) Killed a neighbor.
(d) Gambled away their savings.
4. After informing Brand of his mother's death, what does the doctor tell Brand that their generation is concerned with?
(d) Rods of flame.
5. What is the one condition Brand's mother tells him regarding her fortune that is left to him?
(a) He must leave the settlement.
(b) He must never be seen with Agnes again.
(c) He must not gamble with his life.
(d) He must marry Gerd.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Brand's conversation with the Mayor about his inheritance, what does Brand realize the Mayor is saying?
2. What is Gerd chasing when she meets Brand?
3. Brand's mother sends news that she has offered half of her fortune to God. Brand still refuses to go see her. What is Brand's mother's second offering?
4. Upon Brand's mother's deathbed, what does she proclaim?
5. Brand claims to know the enemy. Who does Brand believe the enemy to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before the "opening" of the church, what happens after Brand shows his anger at the situation?
2. What different attempts does Brand's mother make to get him to come to her on her deathbed?
3. Why does Agnes volunteer to go with Brand across the fjord when no one else will?
4. What does Agnes mean by saying "Whoso shall see Jehovah dies!"?
5. Why does the word "churchyard" bother Agnes?
6. Agnes is distraught on Christmas Eve. Why?
7. Why does the Mayor believe the new church to be great?
8. What is the Doctor's diagnosis for Alf?
9. Why is Brand not excited about the new church?
10. What is the peasant willing to give up, and not give up, for a priest to visit his ailing daughter?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)