|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't Brand and the Woman go back the way she has come?
(a) A pack of wild animals guards the pass.
(b) The bridge was destroyed by the storm.
(c) The river has flooded and cannot be crossed on foot.
(d) Her husband is looking for her and has a gun.
2. Despite the Mayor's argument, why does Brand deny the Mayor's request?
(a) Brand claims to still need to "bring some order and cleanse the people's rampant sin."
(b) Brand claims: "it's thanks to me the population has made a two, nigh three-fold rise."
(c) Brand claims: "A man can't choose his calling's sphere."
(d) Brand claims he is "at war with Nature's stubbornness."
3. What does Brand claim helping the townsfolk monetarily would be?
(a) A pleasure.
(b) A sin.
(d) A miracle.
4. Agnes, holding Alf, is watching the conversation between Gerd and Brand. What does Gerd call Alf?
(a) A demon.
(b) An idol.
(c) A lamb.
(d) A god.
5. Where is the only place Gerd ever feels safe?
(a) Running in the mountains.
(b) In church.
(c) No where- she never feels safe.
(d) At home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Agnes believe "all earthly souls are doomed to fail?"
2. How does the valley look different from Brand's memories of it?
3. At the end of Act 3, what does Brand ask Jesus for?
4. What does Brand offer the Mayor instead of money?
5. What does the Woman need who runs into the town as the squall hits?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the word "churchyard" bother Agnes?
2. Three years after last seeing his mother, why is Brand scanning the fjord in front of his home?
3. Brand decides to help the woman whose husband needs a priest. What dangerous act must Brand perform to get to her home?
4. Why does Brand get carried away by Agnes' statements as she sits by the shore?
5. What are the conditions of Brand receiving his mother's fortune?
6. After Brand agrees that he and Agnes must leave their home, Brand changes his mind. Why?
7. Why does the Mayor contest Brand's viewpoint of the church being too small?
8. What different attempts does Brand's mother make to get him to come to her on her deathbed?
9. Why does Brand refuse to take the blame from the townsfolk?
10. What does Brand's mother have to tell him about her fortune?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)