|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Brand see sitting on the shore as the Men leave to return to the settlement?
(b) The Woman.
2. What do the men say happened to the person who previously held the position for which they seek Brand?
(a) He was captured by the nobels of the land.
(b) He drowned in a squall crossing the fjord.
(c) He left because they could not pay him enough.
(d) He died because of the famine.
3. Who does Brand describe as "well-meaning, plump and debonair, both hands in pocket, quite sublimely like brackets in parenthesis?"
(b) The doctor.
(c) The Mayor.
4. What does the Mayor warn Man Two not to do after discovering that his wife has died?
(a) Leave town.
(b) Start any trouble.
(c) Marry again.
(d) Abandon his children.
5. What does Brand call his childhood home?
(a) Widow's place.
(b) Brimstone manor.
(c) The Devil's palace.
(d) God's window.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Brand addresses the men who have come to the Woman's house, where does he say the right eye turns toward?
2. Why does Agnes believe "all earthly souls are doomed to fail?"
3. Agnes has a vision. What does she claim to have seen in this vision?
4. At the end of Act 3, what does Brand ask Jesus for?
5. The play begins in what country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brand get angry at the people who have chosen to follow him up the hillside?
2. Gerd does not want Brand to go to the church in the valley. Why not? What church does Gerd want Brand to go to?
3. Why does Brand get carried away by Agnes' statements as she sits by the shore?
4. Why does Brand refuse to take the blame from the townsfolk?
5. How did the townsfolk react to the old church being torn down?
6. Why does the Mayor believe the new church to be great?
7. After decorating for Christmas, Agnes says that she is going to bring out all of her treasure. What does her treasure consist of?
8. What is the peasant willing to give up, and not give up, for a priest to visit his ailing daughter?
9. What is the Mayor really saying to Brand when talking to him about Brand's mother's fortune?
10. Describe what readers find out about the fire at the Mayor's home and how he acts.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)