|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Brand refuses to change his beliefs. What does Brand say to Agnes in reply to her questioning him?
(a) "Was I priest or father first?"
(b) "I know you won't deceive us."
(c) "Don't think that I am blaming you."
(d) "You've got the call, see!"
2. As Brand is contemplating the doctor's prognosis, what does the doctor claim about Brand?
(a) That when personally troubled, All or Nothing does not matter.
(b) That he is the weakest man he has ever met.
(c) That even in the face of death, Brand complies to all others' needs.
(d) That when personally troubled, All or Nothing still matters.
3. As the squall hits the fjord, what do the townsfolk threaten Brand with?
(a) Guns and torches.
(b) Stones and knives.
(c) Throwing him into the storm.
4. Where are Einar and Agnes going on their journey?
(a) To Einar's hometown.
(b) To Agnes' hometown.
(c) To the forest.
(d) To the ocean.
5. What do readers find out Brand's mother did to his father while he lay on his deathbed?
(a) Poisoned him.
(b) Searched for his money.
(c) Suffocated him with a pillow.
(d) Nothing-she was never by his side.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Brand sees the valley for the first time, what does Brand realize about the land he has just entered?
2. Why does Brand refuse to go with the Doctor?
3. What does the Woman need who runs into the town as the squall hits?
4. Although the Man tells Brand that he has helped the people of the settlement, what does Brand claim is the problem with the people?
5. When Brand addresses the men who have come to the Woman's house, where does he say the right eye turns toward?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the Doctor leaves, what does the Man who comes to visit Brand come to warn him of?
2. Brand sees Agnes sitting on the shore after the men who asked him to be their priest leave. What does Brand start to realize about Agnes?
3. What has changed in Brand's life over the past year and a half (since the end of Act 4)?
4. Why does the Mayor contest Brand's viewpoint of the church being too small?
5. What are the conditions of Brand receiving his mother's fortune?
6. Why do Einar and Agnes not see the precipice?
7. When Einar finds Agnes with Brand and asks her to leave with him, why doesn't Agnes leave with Einar?
8. Why does Brand think that the ice-church is unsafe?
9. Why is the Mayor of the settlement handing out food and supplies?
10. What does the Mayor want the people to think about before they leave with Brand? What is their reaction?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)