|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Brand refuse to go with the Doctor?
(a) Brand has to deliver communion.
(b) Brand does not like the doctor and will not go anywhere with him.
(c) Brand will not go unless he has been personally called for.
(d) Brand must stay with Alf.
2. As Brand finishes his soliloquy, what falls on the ground next to him?
(a) A bible.
(b) A bird.
(c) A scarf.
(d) A rock.
3. Who does Brand see sitting on the shore as the Men leave to return to the settlement?
(b) The Woman.
4. What does Agnes choose to do at the end of Act 2?
(a) Stay with Gerd.
(b) Stay with Einar.
(c) Stay with Brand.
(d) Stay with Brand's mother.
5. What is the peasant afraid will happen to Brand if he continues on the path he is following?
(a) He will be attacked by wild animals.
(b) He will die from pneumonia.
(c) He will trip on the underbrush.
(d) He will fall through the ice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gerd arrives just after the Man leaves. What is Gerd saying has happened?
2. What promise does Agnes tell Brand he has failed to keep regarding their life?
3. Why does Brand refuse to help the peasant and his daughter?
4. When Brand addresses the men who have come to the Woman's house, where does he say the right eye turns toward?
5. What does Brand claim helping the townsfolk monetarily would be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Agnes mean by saying "Whoso shall see Jehovah dies!"?
2. During the conversation between the Dean and Brand before the opening of the church, what does the Dean tell Brand are his obligations?
3. What has changed in Brand's life over the past year and a half (since the end of Act 4)?
4. When Einar finds Agnes with Brand and asks her to leave with him, why doesn't Agnes leave with Einar?
5. What act of nature happens as Brand if giving the townsfolk and Mayor trouble about their predicament?
6. Why does Agnes have an issue with how rigid Brand is regarding his God and faith?
7. How did the townsfolk react to the old church being torn down?
8. After leaving Einar and Agnes, what does Brand recognize about the valley he has come to?
9. Why does Brand get angry at the people who have chosen to follow him up the hillside?
10. What does the Mayor want the people to think about before they leave with Brand? What is their reaction?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)