|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the peasant afraid will happen to Brand if he continues on the path he is following?
(a) He will fall through the ice.
(b) He will trip on the underbrush.
(c) He will die from pneumonia.
(d) He will be attacked by wild animals.
2. Who does Brand claim sent Gerd to him?
(a) The mayor.
(c) The doctor.
(d) The Man.
3. The play begins in what country?
4. Who does Brand describe as "well-meaning, plump and debonair, both hands in pocket, quite sublimely like brackets in parenthesis?"
(a) The Mayor.
(c) The doctor.
5. For what reason is Brand's mother fearful?
(a) Because Agnes looks poor and she wishes more for her son.
(b) Because she will starve since he forgot to pay for her food.
(c) Because he could have died crossing the fjord and is the only family member she has left.
(d) Because she will be imprisoned since he returned to the settlement.
Short Answer Questions
1. While arguing with Brand about the settlement's faith, what does the Mayor say his congregation CAN shed?
2. In the beginning of Act Three, why is Brand anxiously looking out over the fjord?
3. What news does the doctor bring to Brand as he and Agnes are discussing the weaknesses of man?
4. Where does Elinar know Brand from?
5. Upon Brand's mother's deathbed, what does she proclaim?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Man believe that Brand will not leave?
2. Why does Brand think that the ice-church is unsafe?
3. Why does Brand have a problem with his mother's "feeding" of the poor box and her fortune?
4. What lie does the Mayor tell the defectors that gets them to return to town?
5. Why are Agnes and Brand not worried about the life of their son Alf?
6. What is the Doctor's diagnosis for Alf?
7. Why does Agnes have an issue with how rigid Brand is regarding his God and faith?
8. Explain what the form that appears to Brand tells him.
9. Why does the Mayor believe the new church to be great?
10. Gerd does not want Brand to go to the church in the valley. Why not? What church does Gerd want Brand to go to?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)