|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Brand addresses the men who have come to the Woman's house, where does he say the right eye turns toward?
(a) Away from danger.
2. What is the one condition Brand's mother tells him regarding her fortune that is left to him?
(a) He must marry Gerd.
(b) He must leave the settlement.
(c) He must never be seen with Agnes again.
(d) He must not gamble with his life.
3. How does one of the men convince Brand to stay in the settlement?
(a) By using Brand's own belief: give all or nothing.
(b) By blackmailing him.
(c) By promising Brand anything he wishes.
(d) By using Brand's own belief: it is God's plan.
4. What does Brand say will cause Gerd's church to fall?
(a) Squalls, shouting, and rifle shots.
(b) The earth trembling because of the choir singing.
(c) Nothing- the church will withstand everything.
(d) The sun and the moon.
5. What does Brand claim made his life more bearable?
(a) His position as Mayor of the settlement.
(b) His mother's love.
(c) Gerd and the Ice Church.
(d) Agnes and Alf.
Short Answer Questions
1. While arguing with Brand about the settlement's faith, what does the Mayor say his congregation CAN shed?
2. Where is the only place Gerd ever feels safe?
3. What does Brand tell the Mayor is his cause in life?
4. Why does the woman refuse to go with Brand across the fjord?
5. What does the Woman need who runs into the town as the squall hits?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the Mayor's mind, how does Brand throw a wrench in the Mayor's plan to build?
2. When Einar finds Agnes with Brand and asks her to leave with him, why doesn't Agnes leave with Einar?
3. Why does Agnes get upset with Brand's choice to stay at the settlement?
4. Three years after last seeing his mother, why is Brand scanning the fjord in front of his home?
5. Why does the Mayor try to shake Brand's hand and why does Brand refuse?
6. Why does Agnes volunteer to go with Brand across the fjord when no one else will?
7. Why does the word "churchyard" bother Agnes?
8. What are the conditions of Brand receiving his mother's fortune?
9. After the congregation comes to find Brand to begin the service, why does Brand say that he is mad (crazy)?
10. Agnes is distraught on Christmas Eve. Why?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)