|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the Woman's house, what have the men come to ask of Brand?
(a) To be their farmer.
(b) To be their Mayor.
(c) To be their priest.
(d) To be the prision guard.
2. What do readers find out Brand's mother did to his father while he lay on his deathbed?
(a) Suffocated him with a pillow.
(b) Nothing-she was never by his side.
(c) Searched for his money.
(d) Poisoned him.
3. How does one of the men convince Brand to stay in the settlement?
(a) By promising Brand anything he wishes.
(b) By using Brand's own belief: it is God's plan.
(c) By blackmailing him.
(d) By using Brand's own belief: give all or nothing.
4. What is the peasant not willing to give up to ease his daughter's death?
(a) His home.
(b) HIs wealth.
(c) His life.
(d) His land.
5. After the doctor leaves, Brand enters his house. What does he find has happened to Alf?
(a) Alf is very ill.
(b) Alf has ran away.
(c) Alf has burned himself on the stove.
(d) Alf is dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Agnes choose to do at the end of Act 2?
2. According to Brand, who must one love first before they can love all mankind?
3. What does the doctor say Brand and Agnes must do to save Alf?
4. What is the one condition Brand's mother tells him regarding her fortune that is left to him?
5. What does the Woman need who runs into the town as the squall hits?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events leading up to, and including, Brand's death.
2. What does Agnes mean by saying "Whoso shall see Jehovah dies!"?
3. Why do Einar and Agnes not see the precipice?
4. What is the peasant willing to give up, and not give up, for a priest to visit his ailing daughter?
5. What is the Doctor's diagnosis for Alf?
6. After Brand agrees that he and Agnes must leave their home, Brand changes his mind. Why?
7. Why does the word "churchyard" bother Agnes?
8. What does Agnes find wrong with Brand's church?
9. After the congregation comes to find Brand to begin the service, why does Brand say that he is mad (crazy)?
10. What lie does the Mayor tell the defectors that gets them to return to town?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)