|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Mayor warn Man Two not to do after discovering that his wife has died?
(a) Abandon his children.
(b) Marry again.
(c) Leave town.
(d) Start any trouble.
2. What promise does Agnes tell Brand he has failed to keep regarding their life?
(a) He said their life would be one of woe and she is actually living a happy life.
(b) That she would become a noble of the land if she married him.
(c) They are poor and Brand said that they would be wealthly.
(d) Brand said he would leave her until his mother dies.
3. Who is seen at the top off the cliffs as Brand leaves to cross the fjord?
(a) The Woman's husband.
4. As the men return to the settlement, Brand comments on their appearance. What does he say they have been driven out of?
(b) The fjord.
5. What does Brand claim his mother did in search of fortune?
(a) Brought prasie to God.
(b) Abandoned him at an orphanage.
(c) Cheated on his father.
(d) Put her soul up for sale.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes with Brand out into the storm?
2. What does Brand offer the Mayor instead of money?
3. After Brand helps the Woman's husband, some men from the settlement arrive. What have they brought with them?
4. What does Brand tell the Mayor is his cause in life?
5. What is the one condition Brand's mother tells him regarding her fortune that is left to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Mayor of the settlement handing out food and supplies?
2. In the Mayor's mind, how does Brand throw a wrench in the Mayor's plan to build?
3. Why are Agnes and Brand not worried about the life of their son Alf?
4. What does Brand believe Agnes must do to complete her dependence on Alf's memory?
5. How did the townsfolk react to the old church being torn down?
6. What does Agnes find wrong with Brand's church?
7. Why do Einar and Agnes not see the precipice?
8. Why does Agnes volunteer to go with Brand across the fjord when no one else will?
9. Why does Brand think that the ice-church is unsafe?
10. Why does Brand refuse to take the blame from the townsfolk?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)