|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Brand finishes his soliloquy, what falls on the ground next to him?
(a) A bird.
(b) A bible.
(c) A scarf.
(d) A rock.
2. Although the Man tells Brand that he has helped the people of the settlement, what does Brand claim is the problem with the people?
(a) They do not really care.
(b) They are helpless.
(c) They are blind.
(d) They are deaf.
3. Where are Einar and Agnes going on their journey?
(a) To the forest.
(b) To the ocean.
(c) To Einar's hometown.
(d) To Agnes' hometown.
4. During Brand's conversation with the Mayor about his inheritance, what does Brand realize the Mayor is saying?
(a) The Mayor wants him to leave the settlement.
(b) The Mayor wants him to convince his mother to give all of her money to the town.
(c) The Mayor wants to confiscate Brand's inheritance.
(d) The Mayor wants him to leave Agnes and marry his daughter.
5. How does one of the men convince Brand to stay in the settlement?
(a) By promising Brand anything he wishes.
(b) By using Brand's own belief: give all or nothing.
(c) By blackmailing him.
(d) By using Brand's own belief: it is God's plan.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the doctor leaves, Brand enters his house. What does he find has happened to Alf?
2. Upon Brand's arrival to the valley, where are all of the town's folk going to?
3. When Brand sees the valley for the first time, what does Brand realize about the land he has just entered?
4. Why does Agnes believe "all earthly souls are doomed to fail?"
5. What does the Woman tell Brand her husband has done?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Doctor's diagnosis for Alf?
2. Why does Agnes get upset with Brand's choice to stay at the settlement?
3. Why does Agnes get angry at Brand about having to close the blinds?
4. Why is Brand not excited about the new church?
5. Describe what readers find out about the fire at the Mayor's home and how he acts.
6. Why does the Mayor need Brand's help in his building?
7. After leaving Einar and Agnes, what does Brand recognize about the valley he has come to?
8. Why does Brand believe that Agnes is not honoring the Feast Day?
9. Why does Gerd chase the hawk?
10. What is the Mayor really saying to Brand when talking to him about Brand's mother's fortune?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)