|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the Woman's house, what have the men come to ask of Brand?
(a) To be their farmer.
(b) To be their priest.
(c) To be the prision guard.
(d) To be their Mayor.
2. Who does Gerd threaten when she leaves to go to church?
(a) The hawk.
(c) The townsfolk.
(d) Brand's son.
3. What does Einar compare Agnes to?
(a) A lion.
(b) A snake.
(c) A bird.
(d) A butterfly.
4. As Brand is waiting to hear about his mother's offering to God, what is Brand afraid God will ask of him?
(a) To give up his son like Isaac.
(b) To give up the priesthood.
(c) To leave Agnes, his one true love.
(d) To marry Gerd.
5. At the end of Act 3, what does Agnes offer up to God as an offering?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brand claim helping the townsfolk monetarily would be?
2. According to Brand, who must one love first before they can love all mankind?
3. Where is the only place Gerd ever feels safe?
4. What is the peasant willing to pay to ease his daughter's death?
5. As Brand is contemplating the doctor's prognosis, what does the doctor claim about Brand?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Agnes get angry at Brand about having to close the blinds?
2. Why does Agnes volunteer to go with Brand across the fjord when no one else will?
3. Why does the Mayor try to shake Brand's hand and why does Brand refuse?
4. In the Mayor's mind, how does Brand throw a wrench in the Mayor's plan to build?
5. How did the townsfolk react to the old church being torn down?
6. What does Agnes find wrong with Brand's church?
7. Describe the events leading up to, and including, Brand's death.
8. Explain what the form that appears to Brand tells him.
9. Why have some of the men of the settlement come to see Brand at the woman's house?
10. Describe Einar's description of God.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)