|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't Brand and the Woman go back the way she has come?
(a) A pack of wild animals guards the pass.
(b) The river has flooded and cannot be crossed on foot.
(c) Her husband is looking for her and has a gun.
(d) The bridge was destroyed by the storm.
2. Brand refuses to change his beliefs. What does Brand say to Agnes in reply to her questioning him?
(a) "Was I priest or father first?"
(b) "Don't think that I am blaming you."
(c) "I know you won't deceive us."
(d) "You've got the call, see!"
3. What does Brand claim his mother did in search of fortune?
(a) Abandoned him at an orphanage.
(b) Brought prasie to God.
(c) Cheated on his father.
(d) Put her soul up for sale.
4. The play begins in what country?
5. What is the peasant not willing to give up to ease his daughter's death?
(a) His life.
(b) His land.
(c) His home.
(d) HIs wealth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the peasant afraid will happen to Brand if he continues on the path he is following?
2. What is the peasant willing to pay to ease his daughter's death?
3. Who is seen at the top off the cliffs as Brand leaves to cross the fjord?
4. As the men return to the settlement, Brand comments on their appearance. What does he say they have been driven out of?
5. Despite the Mayor's argument, why does Brand deny the Mayor's request?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Agnes volunteer to go with Brand across the fjord when no one else will?
2. What is the peasant willing to give up, and not give up, for a priest to visit his ailing daughter?
3. What different attempts does Brand's mother make to get him to come to her on her deathbed?
4. Why does the Mayor try to shake Brand's hand and why does Brand refuse?
5. Why does the word "churchyard" bother Agnes?
6. Why does Brand get carried away by Agnes' statements as she sits by the shore?
7. Explain what the form that appears to Brand tells him.
8. After decorating for Christmas, Agnes says that she is going to bring out all of her treasure. What does her treasure consist of?
9. Why does the Mayor contest Brand's viewpoint of the church being too small?
10. Why does Brand refuse to take the blame from the townsfolk?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)