|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Brand and the Mayor are discussing different building hopes, what does Brand think is needed most?
(a) A dam.
(b) A prision.
(c) A lunatic asylum.
(d) A social hall.
2. As Brand is giving an impromptu sermon to the congregation, who does he claim is the "spirit of compromise?"
(a) The mayor.
3. As the congregation pours into the church to find Brand, what do the priests claim is wrong with him?
(a) That he has paired with the Devil.
(b) That he is under a spell.
(c) That he is ill.
(d) That he has gone mad.
4. What does Brand claim about his followers on their trek up the hillside?
(a) "You all will perish before you reach the summit."
(b) "You want the pay before the labour."
(c) That they are all on the right path now.
(d) "There is more than your fill for all."
5. During Agnes' decorating, she states that she is dreaming. What does Brand claim dreams are "beset with?"
(b) The truth.
(c) The future.
6. Brand informs the Mayor of his own plans to build. Initially, what does the Mayor say about Brand's plans?
(a) He refuses to believe that Brand could accomplish the task.
(b) He supports him completely.
(c) He says two building projects will not work.
(d) He tells Brand to go ahead and see who finishes first.
7. As Brand is speaking aloud to himself in Act 4, he talks about a gift that Agnes possesses. What is the gift that he tells of?
(a) Her ability to see destruction before it happens.
(b) Her ability to heal the dying.
(c) Her ability to push forward.
(d) Her ability to see great things in small things.
8. What word does Agnes hate to hear?
9. During Brand's impromptu sermon, what does he claim the congregation does with God's flag?
(a) Never displays it.
(b) Fly it seven days a week.
(c) Fly it only six days a week.
(d) Only fly it on the Sabboth.
10. What are the three things that the committee of the church has decided to give to Brand?
(a) A silver cup, a song, and a speech.
(b) A bronze cup, a poem, and a song.
(c) A gold cup, a poem, and an olive branch.
(d) A speech, an olive branch, and a dove.
11. In regard to the fire at the mayor's home, what is the mayor concerned with saving?
(a) His children.
(b) His soul.
(d) His wife.
12. According to the Mayor, what do the people coming to the church care about?
13. How many people have come to the new church?
(b) Five hundred.
(d) One hundred.
14. According to the Mayor, what day will never come?
(a) The sacrificial day.
(b) The day they will be friends.
(c) The second coming.
(d) The Sabbath.
15. During Brand's contemplation of the Mayor's visit, what word does he say "slips smoothly enough from off the lips?"
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 4, what has Agnes been doing while Brand has been away with parish work?
2. While discussing the number of people come to the new church, where do the schoolmaster and sexton wish they could go?
3. What does Agnes claim was wrong with her "visitor" during the night when Brand was gone?
4. When speaking about Alf, Agnes claims Brand is speaking coldly. What does Agnes ask Brand to do?
5. What does Brand find out from the mayor about Gerd?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)