|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Mayor decide to do to help Brand in the building of the church?
(c) The blessing of the church.
(d) Raising of the walls.
2. According to Brand during his initial talk with the Dean, what must new houses find?
(a) New followers.
(c) The faithful.
(d) New tenants.
3. As Brand is giving an impromptu sermon to the congregation, who does he claim is the "spirit of compromise?"
(c) The mayor.
4. When Brand is reunited with Einar, where does Einar say he has been?
(a) Becoming a teacher.
(b) Wandering the countryside.
(c) Finding his salvation.
(d) Alone in the caves by the fjord.
5. What does Gerd see when see examines Brand's hands?
(a) Nail holes.
(b) Nothing, they are not injured at all.
(c) Words carved into them.
6. During Brand's conversation with the Dean, what does he claim has deserted him?
(a) HIs courage.
(c) His congregation.
(d) His belief.
7. What does the Mayor expect Brand to wear during his sermon in the new church?
(a) The flag of the setlement.
(b) The pin from Alf's christening gown.
(c) The order's cross.
(d) The colors of the settlement.
8. During Brand's impromptu sermon, what force of nature sends the congregation to gather around Brand?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) A crash of thunder.
(c) A bolt of lightening.
(d) A storm.
9. What do Brand's followers do once they believe that he has misled them?
(a) They throw stones at him.
(b) They pass word throughout the land not to trst him.
(c) They arrest him and put him in the prison.
(d) They push him off of the hillside.
10. What news does the new arrival to the hillside tell Brand's followers is reason to return to the settlement?
(a) That a new priest has come to take over the church.
(b) That the fish have returned to the fjord.
(c) That the Mayor has promised not to punish those who left with Brand.
(d) That the church is burning and they need help to put it out.
11. What does Brand do to lighten the dark room of the parsonage?
(a) Lights ten candles.
(b) Pulls the shades back from the windows.
(c) Lights a single candle.
(d) Opens the outer doors.
12. A tattered woman with a baby in her arms enters where Brand and Agnes are. What is it that the woman needs?
(a) Clothes for her child.
(b) A burial for her husband.
(c) A confessional.
(d) A priest's blessing for her child.
13. What does the Mayor tell Brand that he wants to do to take place of the war that is now over?
(a) Cure the curse of poverty.
(b) Build a new home.
(c) Try to find another mayoral position elsewhere.
(d) Focus on his family.
14. The schoolmaster and the sexton are talking about the fire at the mayor's home. When the mayor says, "O, that can go to hell," what do they say he is talking about?
(a) His soul.
(b) His son.
(d) His home.
15. Why are people from all over coming to Brand's church?
(a) Agnes is ill and the town is coming to watch over her.
(b) The new church is being consecrated.
(c) The new church is on fire and needs to be put out.
(d) Brand is seeing over the funeral of a town official.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Mayor comes to see Brand and tells Brand that the congregation is waiting for him. What does Brand say to the Mayor's request to begin his sermon?
2. According to Brand, what is a corpse's only task?
3. What does Agnes claim is all she has left to offer to Brand and God?
4. While talking about the size of the church, what does Brand beg of Agnes?
5. As Brand is speaking aloud to himself in Act 4, he talks about a gift that Agnes possesses. What is the gift that he tells of?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)