|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Brand during his initial talk with the Dean, what must new houses find?
(b) New followers.
(c) The faithful.
(d) New tenants.
2. The congregation questions Brand about the length of the battle to come. What does Brand say will end their suffering?
(a) Their blood and sweat.
(b) The building of a new church.
(c) Their belief in God.
(d) The fullfillment of their sacrifice: Nothing if not All.
3. The Mayor asks Brand of his intentions in Act 4, Part 2. What does Brand say his intentions are?
(a) To become friends.
(b) To take Agnes away to start anew.
(c) To leave the settlement forever.
(d) To build.
4. When speaking about Alf, Agnes claims Brand is speaking coldly. What does Agnes ask Brand to do?
(a) Not speak to her about Alf.
(b) Stop talking to her at all.
(c) Continue with the coldness.
(d) Speak gently.
5. What does Agnes claim is all she has left to offer to Brand and God?
(a) Her vast wealth.
(b) Her heart's root.
(c) Her poverty.
6. In the opening of Act 5, Scene 2, what are Brand's followers doing as they follow him up the hillside?
7. The schoolmaster ans the sexton are discussing the old church. What do they claim fell along with the walls of the church?
(a) Gerd's life.
(b) The lives of the townsfolk.
(c) Agnes' life.
(d) The spirits that dwelled in the church.
8. As Einar leaves, Brand realizes something about him. What does Brand realize?
(a) That Einar is the man he needs to help him.
(b) That he was wrong in taking Agnes from Einar.
(c) That he has failed all of humanity.
(d) That it was best that Einar left.
9. After telling the congregation to leave, what does Brand do with the keys to the church?
(a) Hands them to the Dean.
(b) Throws them into a fire.
(c) Throws them into the river.
(d) Hands them to the Mayor.
10. Brand informs the mayor that he will finance the re-building of the church. How does Brand intend to do this?
(a) With his mother's money.
(b) With the money he gets from the congregation.
(c) With the money he has earned on his own.
(d) With Agnes' money.
11. At the end of Act 4, Brand makes a statement regarding "true possession's price." What is the price?
12. The mayor comes to visit Brand claiming that he has been beaten. Why has Brand won the war?
(a) The mayor is sick and cannot continue the battle.
(b) Brand now holds the majority.
(c) Brand has a bigger church.
(d) Brand has killed all of the mayor's followers.
13. As Brand is speaking aloud to himself in Act 4, he talks about a gift that Agnes possesses. What is the gift that he tells of?
(a) Her ability to see great things in small things.
(b) Her ability to see destruction before it happens.
(c) Her ability to heal the dying.
(d) Her ability to push forward.
14. As Brand is contemplating his conversation with the dean, he states "That churchyard's watered with my bleeding;
my light, my life, lie buried there:---- but not my (_____), that they'll not snare!" What will "they" not snare?
(a) His soul.
(b) His love.
(c) His faith.
(d) His church.
15. During Brand's impromptu sermon, what force of nature sends the congregation to gather around Brand?
(a) A storm.
(b) A bolt of lightening.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) A crash of thunder.
Short Answer Questions
1. The schoolmaster and the sexton are talking about Brand. According to them, why is Brand different?
2. A tattered woman with a baby in her arms enters where Brand and Agnes are. What is it that the woman needs?
3. Who does the Mayor believe he can get to help with the re-construction of the church?
4. According to Brand, what is a corpse's only task?
5. What proverb does Agnes speak of as she is talking to Brand about his convictions?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)