|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gerd see when see examines Brand's hands?
(a) Words carved into them.
(b) Nail holes.
(c) Nothing, they are not injured at all.
2. At the end of Act 4, Brand makes a statement regarding "true possession's price." What is the price?
3. What do Brand's followers do once they believe that he has misled them?
(a) They push him off of the hillside.
(b) They pass word throughout the land not to trst him.
(c) They throw stones at him.
(d) They arrest him and put him in the prison.
4. When Brand is reunited with Einar, where does Einar say he has been?
(a) Becoming a teacher.
(b) Finding his salvation.
(c) Wandering the countryside.
(d) Alone in the caves by the fjord.
5. What happens after Brand closes the church?
(a) The Dean begs Brand to reconsider.
(b) The congregation still promises to follow him regardless of where.
(c) The Mayor begs Brand to reconsider.
(d) The congregation leaves and returns to town.
6. What does the Mayor tell Brand that he wants to do to take place of the war that is now over?
(a) Cure the curse of poverty.
(b) Try to find another mayoral position elsewhere.
(c) Focus on his family.
(d) Build a new home.
7. Who does the Mayor believe he can get to help with the re-construction of the church?
(a) The prisoners of the town's jail.
(c) The townsfolk.
(d) Builders from another settlement.
8. What news does the new arrival to the hillside tell Brand's followers is reason to return to the settlement?
(a) That the fish have returned to the fjord.
(b) That a new priest has come to take over the church.
(c) That the church is burning and they need help to put it out.
(d) That the Mayor has promised not to punish those who left with Brand.
9. Who does Agnes claim came to see her the prior night while Band was away?
(b) The mayor.
10. Why does Brand tell Agnes that her offering to him and God counts for nothing?
(a) Because she is still distraught.
(b) She has vowed to keep her poverty; she cannot offer it up.
(c) To him, he sees no meaning behind the offering.
(d) Because she has no money left given the building of the church.
11. What form appears to Brand after he has been chased from the hilltop by the congregation?
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
12. In regard to the fire at the mayor's home, what is the mayor concerned with saving?
(b) His children.
(c) His soul.
(d) His wife.
13. After telling the congregation to leave, what does Brand do with the keys to the church?
(a) Throws them into a fire.
(b) Throws them into the river.
(c) Hands them to the Mayor.
(d) Hands them to the Dean.
14. A tattered woman with a baby in her arms enters where Brand and Agnes are. What is it that the woman needs?
(a) A burial for her husband.
(b) A priest's blessing for her child.
(c) Clothes for her child.
(d) A confessional.
15. The Mayor comes to see Brand and tells Brand that the congregation is waiting for him. What does Brand say to the Mayor's request to begin his sermon?
(a) That he must first find Einar.
(b) That he is not going to the church to give the sermon.
(c) That he has sent for someone to take his place.
(d) That he will be there shortly.
Short Answer Questions
1. The schoolmaster ans the sexton are discussing the old church. What do they claim fell along with the walls of the church?
2. The schoolmaster and the sexton are talking about the fire that ravaged the Mayor's home. What did the mayor's wife tell him to save?
3. What two characters find Brand's followers on the hillside to persuade them to return home?
4. What are the three things that the committee of the church has decided to give to Brand?
5. A plaque has been set up displaying Brand's name. What metal is the plaque made of?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)