|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During Brand's impromptu sermon, what does he claim the congregation does with God's flag?
(a) Fly it seven days a week.
(b) Fly it only six days a week.
(c) Only fly it on the Sabboth.
(d) Never displays it.
2. What do Brand and Agnes find out about the woman who has rushed into their home?
(a) She is lost and cannot find her way home.
(b) She needs shelter from the weather outside.
(c) She is a gypsy on the run.
(d) She is a long-lost relative come to take her share in the willed money.
3. Brand makes a very specific demand of Agnes in regard to the woman. What does Brand tell Agnes to do?
(a) Wrap the baby in her shawl so that he may bless it.
(b) Prepare the confessional for the woman.
(c) Give Alf's baby clothes to the woman.
(d) Prepare his clothes so that he may preside over the funeral.
4. Why are people from all over coming to Brand's church?
(a) The new church is being consecrated.
(b) The new church is on fire and needs to be put out.
(c) Agnes is ill and the town is coming to watch over her.
(d) Brand is seeing over the funeral of a town official.
5. In the opening of Act 5, Scene 2, what are Brand's followers doing as they follow him up the hillside?
6. While Brand and the Mayor are discussing different building hopes, what does Brand think is needed most?
(a) A social hall.
(b) A prision.
(c) A dam.
(d) A lunatic asylum.
7. After Brand has completed his thoughts, he seems to be worried. What does Brand ask Agnes for?
(c) Her hand.
8. As Einar leaves, Brand realizes something about him. What does Brand realize?
(a) That he has failed all of humanity.
(b) That it was best that Einar left.
(c) That Einar is the man he needs to help him.
(d) That he was wrong in taking Agnes from Einar.
9. When does Agnes wish Brand to have the new "great church" built by?
(a) Before summer.
(b) Before spring.
(c) Never. She likes the church as it is.
(d) Before fall.
10. Agnes claims that she has given all in regard to Brand's request. What has she kept, and therefore, lied about?
(a) A mite to buy more candles.
(b) The bible to preside over the funeral.
(c) She did not use her shawl to wrap the baby in.
(d) A bonnet.
11. What does Brand claim about his followers on their trek up the hillside?
(a) "You want the pay before the labour."
(b) "You all will perish before you reach the summit."
(c) "There is more than your fill for all."
(d) That they are all on the right path now.
12. What proverb does Agnes speak of as she is talking to Brand about his convictions?
(a) "A drowning man is not troubled by rain."
(b) "He makes his home where the living is best."
(c) "Light the lifting, hard the bearing."
(d) "A broken hand works, but not a broken heart."
13. What does Brand do to lighten the dark room of the parsonage?
(a) Opens the outer doors.
(b) Pulls the shades back from the windows.
(c) Lights ten candles.
(d) Lights a single candle.
14. At the end of Act 5, Scene 1, what does the Dean decide to do?
(a) Follow Brand up the mountain to keep the "flock from straying farther".
(b) Return to town to talk to the Mayor about what they are going to do with Brand.
(c) Nothing...he believes it has all gone too far.
(d) Become a member of Brand's "new" congregation.
15. What does Agnes claim was wrong with her "visitor" during the night when Brand was gone?
(a) The visitor was on fire.
(b) The visitor had no head.
(c) The visitor was frozen.
(d) The visitor was transparent.
Short Answer Questions
1. The schoolmaster ans the sexton are discussing the old church. What do they claim fell along with the walls of the church?
2. According to the Mayor, what do the people coming to the church care about?
3. The congregation questions Brand about the length of the battle to come. What does Brand say will end their suffering?
4. While talking about the size of the church, what does Brand beg of Agnes?
5. After telling the congregation to leave, what does Brand do with the keys to the church?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)