|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A plaque has been set up displaying Brand's name. What metal is the plaque made of?
2. What does the Mayor tell Brand that he wants to do to take place of the war that is now over?
(a) Build a new home.
(b) Cure the curse of poverty.
(c) Focus on his family.
(d) Try to find another mayoral position elsewhere.
3. Who decides to leave with Brand (other than members of the congregation) once he closes the church?
(a) The priests.
(c) No one else is named.
(d) The Sexton and the Schoolmaster.
4. What does Agnes claim was wrong with her "visitor" during the night when Brand was gone?
(a) The visitor had no head.
(b) The visitor was transparent.
(c) The visitor was frozen.
(d) The visitor was on fire.
5. The Mayor asks Brand of his intentions in Act 4, Part 2. What does Brand say his intentions are?
(a) To build.
(b) To take Agnes away to start anew.
(c) To become friends.
(d) To leave the settlement forever.
6. What two characters find Brand's followers on the hillside to persuade them to return home?
(a) The Dean and the Mayor's clerk.
(b) Gerd and Einar.
(c) The Mayor and the Dean.
(d) The Mayor and his clerk.
7. When Brand is reunited with Einar, where does Einar say he has been?
(a) Wandering the countryside.
(b) Alone in the caves by the fjord.
(c) Finding his salvation.
(d) Becoming a teacher.
8. After Brand tells Einar of his life since their last meeting, where does Einar say that Agnes is?
(d) In the mountains.
9. What does Brand find out from the mayor about Gerd?
(a) That she escaped from another town asylum.
(b) That she is his sister.
(c) That she is his aunt.
(d) That she will destroy their plans to re-build the church.
10. What does Gerd see when see examines Brand's hands?
(a) Nail holes.
(b) Nothing, they are not injured at all.
(d) Words carved into them.
11. What does Brand do to lighten the dark room of the parsonage?
(a) Lights ten candles.
(b) Pulls the shades back from the windows.
(c) Lights a single candle.
(d) Opens the outer doors.
12. At the end of Act 5, Scene 1, what does the Dean decide to do?
(a) Nothing...he believes it has all gone too far.
(b) Follow Brand up the mountain to keep the "flock from straying farther".
(c) Return to town to talk to the Mayor about what they are going to do with Brand.
(d) Become a member of Brand's "new" congregation.
13. Who does the Mayor believe he can get to help with the re-construction of the church?
(a) The townsfolk.
(b) The prisoners of the town's jail.
(c) Builders from another settlement.
14. According to the Mayor, what day will never come?
(a) The Sabbath.
(b) The day they will be friends.
(c) The second coming.
(d) The sacrificial day.
15. What causes the avalanche at the end of the play?
(a) Brand throwing himself off the hilside.
(b) A rifle shot by Gerd.
(c) The ice-church sliding down the hillside.
(d) The congregation coming down the hillside after Brand.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Brand's impromptu sermon, what force of nature sends the congregation to gather around Brand?
2. According to the Mayor, what do the people coming to the church NOT care about?
3. According to Brand during his initial talk with the Dean, what must new houses find?
4. The mayor comes to visit Brand claiming that he has been beaten. Why has Brand won the war?
5. In Act 4, what has Agnes been doing while Brand has been away with parish work?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)