|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During Brand's contemplation of the Mayor's visit, what word does he say "slips smoothly enough from off the lips?"
2. The schoolmaster and the sexton are talking about the fire at the mayor's home. When the mayor says, "O, that can go to hell," what do they say he is talking about?
(a) His home.
(c) His soul.
(d) His son.
3. When does Agnes wish Brand to have the new "great church" built by?
(a) Before summer.
(b) Never. She likes the church as it is.
(c) Before spring.
(d) Before fall.
4. Who decides to leave with Brand (other than members of the congregation) once he closes the church?
(a) The priests.
(b) No one else is named.
(d) The Sexton and the Schoolmaster.
5. When speaking about Alf, Agnes claims Brand is speaking coldly. What does Agnes ask Brand to do?
(a) Stop talking to her at all.
(b) Speak gently.
(c) Continue with the coldness.
(d) Not speak to her about Alf.
6. According to the Mayor, what do the people coming to the church care about?
7. What happens after Brand closes the church?
(a) The congregation leaves and returns to town.
(b) The Dean begs Brand to reconsider.
(c) The congregation still promises to follow him regardless of where.
(d) The Mayor begs Brand to reconsider.
8. As Brand leaves the Mayor to prepare for his sermon, the Mayor is very confused by Brand's words. What does the Mayor believe Brand has been doing?
9. How many people have come to the new church?
(b) Five hundred.
(c) One hundred.
10. Who does Agnes claim came to see her the prior night while Band was away?
(d) The mayor.
11. What does Brand find out from the mayor about Gerd?
(a) That she escaped from another town asylum.
(b) That she is his sister.
(c) That she is his aunt.
(d) That she will destroy their plans to re-build the church.
12. Why does the Mayor claim Brand has not won "this" battle?
(a) The Mayor claims to have the upper hand.
(b) The Mayor claims to have knowledge of a sin Brand carries.
(c) The Mayor says that he has sabbotaged the path Brand is on.
(d) The Mayor knows his flock.
13. The Mayor asks Brand of his intentions in Act 4, Part 2. What does Brand say his intentions are?
(a) To take Agnes away to start anew.
(b) To build.
(c) To become friends.
(d) To leave the settlement forever.
14. While Agnes is arguing with Brand about the decorating, who does he claim she is "not at odds with?"
(d) The devil.
15. Brand re-enters the room that Agnes is in. Agnes is going through a drawer. What does Agnes pull out of the drawer that has a pin on it?
(a) The dress she wore when she married Brand.
(b) The suit coat that Brand wore when they married.
(c) The cloak that Alf was christened in.
(d) The funeral attire meant for Brand's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Agnes claims that she has given all in regard to Brand's request. What has she kept, and therefore, lied about?
2. As the Sexton and Schoolmaster are talking about church and state, someone begins playing the organ. Who is it playing the organ?
3. According to Brand, what is a corpse's only task?
4. What proverb does Agnes speak of as she is talking to Brand about his convictions?
5. During Brand's conversation with the Dean, what does he claim has deserted him?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)