|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are people from all over coming to Brand's church?
(a) Brand is seeing over the funeral of a town official.
(b) The new church is being consecrated.
(c) Agnes is ill and the town is coming to watch over her.
(d) The new church is on fire and needs to be put out.
2. What does Agnes claim is all she has left to offer to Brand and God?
(b) Her vast wealth.
(c) Her poverty.
(d) Her heart's root.
3. When does Agnes wish Brand to have the new "great church" built by?
(a) Before spring.
(b) Before summer.
(c) Before fall.
(d) Never. She likes the church as it is.
4. What form appears to Brand after he has been chased from the hilltop by the congregation?
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
5. What proverb does Agnes speak of as she is talking to Brand about his convictions?
(a) "He makes his home where the living is best."
(b) "A broken hand works, but not a broken heart."
(c) "A drowning man is not troubled by rain."
(d) "Light the lifting, hard the bearing."
6. When speaking about Alf, Agnes claims Brand is speaking coldly. What does Agnes ask Brand to do?
(a) Not speak to her about Alf.
(b) Stop talking to her at all.
(c) Speak gently.
(d) Continue with the coldness.
7. What does Agnes say Brand should call God?
8. Who decides to leave with Brand (other than members of the congregation) once he closes the church?
(a) No one else is named.
(c) The priests.
(d) The Sexton and the Schoolmaster.
9. During Brand's conversation with the Dean, what does he claim has deserted him?
(b) His belief.
(c) HIs courage.
(d) His congregation.
10. During Brand's impromptu sermon, what force of nature sends the congregation to gather around Brand?
(a) A crash of thunder.
(b) A storm.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) A bolt of lightening.
11. What happens after Brand closes the church?
(a) The congregation leaves and returns to town.
(b) The congregation still promises to follow him regardless of where.
(c) The Mayor begs Brand to reconsider.
(d) The Dean begs Brand to reconsider.
12. Who does the Mayor believe he can get to help with the re-construction of the church?
(a) The prisoners of the town's jail.
(b) The townsfolk.
(c) Builders from another settlement.
13. What does the Mayor tell Brand that he wants to do to take place of the war that is now over?
(a) Build a new home.
(b) Cure the curse of poverty.
(c) Try to find another mayoral position elsewhere.
(d) Focus on his family.
14. Why does Brand tell Agnes that her offering to him and God counts for nothing?
(a) She has vowed to keep her poverty; she cannot offer it up.
(b) To him, he sees no meaning behind the offering.
(c) Because she is still distraught.
(d) Because she has no money left given the building of the church.
15. Brand informs the Mayor of his own plans to build. Initially, what does the Mayor say about Brand's plans?
(a) He says two building projects will not work.
(b) He refuses to believe that Brand could accomplish the task.
(c) He supports him completely.
(d) He tells Brand to go ahead and see who finishes first.
Short Answer Questions
1. What holiday does Act 4 begin with?
2. What does Brand say about Mercy?
3. Agnes claims that she has given all in regard to Brand's request. What has she kept, and therefore, lied about?
4. The congregation questions Brand about the length of the battle to come. What does Brand say will end their suffering?
5. As Brand leaves the Mayor to prepare for his sermon, the Mayor is very confused by Brand's words. What does the Mayor believe Brand has been doing?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)