|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Mayor asks Brand of his intentions in Act 4, Part 2. What does Brand say his intentions are?
(a) To take Agnes away to start anew.
(b) To leave the settlement forever.
(c) To become friends.
(d) To build.
2. According to the Mayor, what do the people coming to the church care about?
3. As Brand is giving an impromptu sermon to the congregation, who does he claim is the "spirit of compromise?"
(d) The mayor.
4. Before Brand goes to give his sermon, the Dean has come to speak to him about his obligations. What obligation does the Dean say Brand must fulfill?
(a) His obligation to the Dean.
(b) His obligation to his family.
(c) His obligation to the settlement.
(d) His obligation to State.
5. What does Brand say about Mercy?
(a) It is paved with gold.
(b) It is paved with an alter-stone.
(c) It is paved by those who can afford to.
(d) It is paved with heartache.
6. What causes the avalanche at the end of the play?
(a) The congregation coming down the hillside after Brand.
(b) A rifle shot by Gerd.
(c) Brand throwing himself off the hilside.
(d) The ice-church sliding down the hillside.
7. What does the Mayor tell Brand he should expect given his accomplishments for the church?
(b) A new home.
(c) The pope offering him a cardinal position.
(d) A larger congregation than the church can handle.
8. What do Brand and Agnes find out about the woman who has rushed into their home?
(a) She needs shelter from the weather outside.
(b) She is a long-lost relative come to take her share in the willed money.
(c) She is lost and cannot find her way home.
(d) She is a gypsy on the run.
9. A plaque has been set up displaying Brand's name. What metal is the plaque made of?
10. What do Brand's followers do once they believe that he has misled them?
(a) They throw stones at him.
(b) They arrest him and put him in the prison.
(c) They pass word throughout the land not to trst him.
(d) They push him off of the hillside.
11. What does Brand do to lighten the dark room of the parsonage?
(a) Lights ten candles.
(b) Pulls the shades back from the windows.
(c) Opens the outer doors.
(d) Lights a single candle.
12. At the end of Act 5, Scene 1, what does the Dean decide to do?
(a) Follow Brand up the mountain to keep the "flock from straying farther".
(b) Return to town to talk to the Mayor about what they are going to do with Brand.
(c) Nothing...he believes it has all gone too far.
(d) Become a member of Brand's "new" congregation.
13. Why are people from all over coming to Brand's church?
(a) Agnes is ill and the town is coming to watch over her.
(b) The new church is being consecrated.
(c) Brand is seeing over the funeral of a town official.
(d) The new church is on fire and needs to be put out.
14. What news does the new arrival to the hillside tell Brand's followers is reason to return to the settlement?
(a) That the church is burning and they need help to put it out.
(b) That the fish have returned to the fjord.
(c) That the Mayor has promised not to punish those who left with Brand.
(d) That a new priest has come to take over the church.
15. In the opening of Act 5, Scene 3, what is Brand's appearance?
(a) He is soaked to the bone from the storm.
(b) Perfect, nothing is wrong with him.
(c) He has lost a limb.
(d) Bloodied and bruised.
Short Answer Questions
1. Brand informs the mayor that he will finance the re-building of the church. How does Brand intend to do this?
2. The Mayor comes to see Brand and tells Brand that the congregation is waiting for him. What does Brand say to the Mayor's request to begin his sermon?
3. When Brand is reunited with Einar, where does Einar say he has been?
4. According to the Mayor, what day will never come?
5. Why does Brand tell Agnes that her offering to him and God counts for nothing?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)