|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Brand do to lighten the dark room of the parsonage?
(a) Opens the outer doors.
(b) Pulls the shades back from the windows.
(c) Lights a single candle.
(d) Lights ten candles.
2. After Brand tells Einar of his life since their last meeting, where does Einar say that Agnes is?
(d) In the mountains.
3. As Einar leaves, Brand realizes something about him. What does Brand realize?
(a) That he was wrong in taking Agnes from Einar.
(b) That Einar is the man he needs to help him.
(c) That he has failed all of humanity.
(d) That it was best that Einar left.
4. What two characters find Brand's followers on the hillside to persuade them to return home?
(a) The Mayor and the Dean.
(b) The Mayor and his clerk.
(c) The Dean and the Mayor's clerk.
(d) Gerd and Einar.
5. What does Gerd see when see examines Brand's hands?
(b) Words carved into them.
(c) Nothing, they are not injured at all.
(d) Nail holes.
6. The congregation questions Brand about the length of the battle to come. What does Brand say will end their suffering?
(a) Their belief in God.
(b) Their blood and sweat.
(c) The fullfillment of their sacrifice: Nothing if not All.
(d) The building of a new church.
7. How many people have come to the new church?
(a) Five hundred.
(d) One hundred.
8. The schoolmaster and the sexton are talking about the fire that ravaged the Mayor's home. What did the mayor's wife tell him to save?
(a) His soul.
(b) His children.
(c) The entire home.
9. A plaque has been set up displaying Brand's name. What metal is the plaque made of?
10. While Brand and the Mayor are discussing different building hopes, what does Brand think is needed most?
(a) A social hall.
(b) A prision.
(c) A dam.
(d) A lunatic asylum.
11. Before Brand goes to give his sermon, the Dean has come to speak to him about his obligations. What obligation does the Dean say Brand must fulfill?
(a) His obligation to the Dean.
(b) His obligation to the settlement.
(c) His obligation to State.
(d) His obligation to his family.
12. At the beginning of Act 4, what do readers find out has happened to Alf?
(a) He is still the same: very ill.
(b) He has gotten better.
(c) He ran away.
(d) He has died.
13. Agnes claims that she has given all in regard to Brand's request. What has she kept, and therefore, lied about?
(a) She did not use her shawl to wrap the baby in.
(b) A mite to buy more candles.
(c) A bonnet.
(d) The bible to preside over the funeral.
14. Brand re-enters the room that Agnes is in. Agnes is going through a drawer. What does Agnes pull out of the drawer that has a pin on it?
(a) The funeral attire meant for Brand's mother.
(b) The cloak that Alf was christened in.
(c) The dress she wore when she married Brand.
(d) The suit coat that Brand wore when they married.
15. Brand informs the Mayor of his own plans to build. Initially, what does the Mayor say about Brand's plans?
(a) He supports him completely.
(b) He refuses to believe that Brand could accomplish the task.
(c) He says two building projects will not work.
(d) He tells Brand to go ahead and see who finishes first.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Mayor tell Brand he should expect given his accomplishments for the church?
2. When speaking about Alf, Agnes claims Brand is speaking coldly. What does Agnes ask Brand to do?
3. As Brand is speaking aloud to himself in Act 4, he talks about a gift that Agnes possesses. What is the gift that he tells of?
4. Why does Brand tell Agnes that her offering to him and God counts for nothing?
5. According to the Mayor, what do the people coming to the church care about?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)