|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During Brand's contemplation of the Mayor's visit, what word does he say "slips smoothly enough from off the lips?"
2. After Brand tells Einar of his life since their last meeting, where does Einar say that Agnes is?
(a) In the mountains.
3. When speaking about Alf, Agnes claims Brand is speaking coldly. What does Agnes ask Brand to do?
(a) Not speak to her about Alf.
(b) Continue with the coldness.
(c) Speak gently.
(d) Stop talking to her at all.
4. Why are people from all over coming to Brand's church?
(a) Brand is seeing over the funeral of a town official.
(b) Agnes is ill and the town is coming to watch over her.
(c) The new church is on fire and needs to be put out.
(d) The new church is being consecrated.
5. During Brand's conversation with the Dean, what does he claim has deserted him?
(a) His congregation.
(b) His belief.
(d) HIs courage.
6. What happens after Brand closes the church?
(a) The congregation leaves and returns to town.
(b) The Dean begs Brand to reconsider.
(c) The congregation still promises to follow him regardless of where.
(d) The Mayor begs Brand to reconsider.
7. At the end of Act 5, Scene 1, what does the Dean decide to do?
(a) Nothing...he believes it has all gone too far.
(b) Return to town to talk to the Mayor about what they are going to do with Brand.
(c) Follow Brand up the mountain to keep the "flock from straying farther".
(d) Become a member of Brand's "new" congregation.
8. The congregation questions Brand about the length of the battle to come. What does Brand say will end their suffering?
(a) Their belief in God.
(b) The fullfillment of their sacrifice: Nothing if not All.
(c) Their blood and sweat.
(d) The building of a new church.
9. What does the Mayor decide to do to help Brand in the building of the church?
(a) Raising of the walls.
(d) The blessing of the church.
10. The schoolmaster and the sexton are talking about the fire at the mayor's home. When the mayor says, "O, that can go to hell," what do they say he is talking about?
(a) His soul.
(b) His son.
(d) His home.
11. Brand makes a very specific demand of Agnes in regard to the woman. What does Brand tell Agnes to do?
(a) Prepare the confessional for the woman.
(b) Prepare his clothes so that he may preside over the funeral.
(c) Give Alf's baby clothes to the woman.
(d) Wrap the baby in her shawl so that he may bless it.
12. Brand informs the mayor that he will finance the re-building of the church. How does Brand intend to do this?
(a) With Agnes' money.
(b) With the money he has earned on his own.
(c) With the money he gets from the congregation.
(d) With his mother's money.
13. Why does the Mayor claim Brand has not won "this" battle?
(a) The Mayor knows his flock.
(b) The Mayor claims to have knowledge of a sin Brand carries.
(c) The Mayor claims to have the upper hand.
(d) The Mayor says that he has sabbotaged the path Brand is on.
14. Who does Agnes claim came to see her the prior night while Band was away?
(c) The mayor.
15. After telling the congregation to leave, what does Brand do with the keys to the church?
(a) Throws them into the river.
(b) Throws them into a fire.
(c) Hands them to the Dean.
(d) Hands them to the Mayor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Brand re-enters the room that Agnes is in. Agnes is going through a drawer. What does Agnes pull out of the drawer that has a pin on it?
2. In Act 4, what has Agnes been doing while Brand has been away with parish work?
3. What are the three things that the committee of the church has decided to give to Brand?
4. Why does Brand tell Agnes that her offering to him and God counts for nothing?
5. According to the Mayor, what day will never come?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)