|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Einar leaves, Brand realizes something about him. What does Brand realize?
(a) That it was best that Einar left.
(b) That he has failed all of humanity.
(c) That Einar is the man he needs to help him.
(d) That he was wrong in taking Agnes from Einar.
2. What does the Mayor tell Brand that he wants to do to take place of the war that is now over?
(a) Focus on his family.
(b) Build a new home.
(c) Try to find another mayoral position elsewhere.
(d) Cure the curse of poverty.
3. As Brand is giving an impromptu sermon to the congregation, who does he claim is the "spirit of compromise?"
(a) The mayor.
4. As Brand is contemplating his conversation with the dean, he states "That churchyard's watered with my bleeding;
my light, my life, lie buried there:---- but not my (_____), that they'll not snare!" What will "they" not snare?
(a) His love.
(b) His soul.
(c) His church.
(d) His faith.
5. According to the Mayor, what do the people coming to the church care about?
6. What does Brand claim about his followers on their trek up the hillside?
(a) "You all will perish before you reach the summit."
(b) "There is more than your fill for all."
(c) "You want the pay before the labour."
(d) That they are all on the right path now.
7. According to Brand, what is a corpse's only task?
(a) Harbor a soul until death.
(b) Giving nourishment to new seeds.
(c) Raising from the dead to seek vengence.
(d) To give those living something tangible to mourn.
8. As the congregation pours into the church to find Brand, what do the priests claim is wrong with him?
(a) That he is ill.
(b) That he is under a spell.
(c) That he has paired with the Devil.
(d) That he has gone mad.
9. In the opening of Act 5, Scene 2, what are Brand's followers doing as they follow him up the hillside?
10. Brand informs the Mayor of his own plans to build. Initially, what does the Mayor say about Brand's plans?
(a) He supports him completely.
(b) He tells Brand to go ahead and see who finishes first.
(c) He refuses to believe that Brand could accomplish the task.
(d) He says two building projects will not work.
11. During Agnes' decorating, she states that she is dreaming. What does Brand claim dreams are "beset with?"
(a) The truth.
(c) The future.
12. What do Brand's followers do once they believe that he has misled them?
(a) They arrest him and put him in the prison.
(b) They push him off of the hillside.
(c) They throw stones at him.
(d) They pass word throughout the land not to trst him.
13. As Brand is speaking aloud to himself in Act 4, he talks about a gift that Agnes possesses. What is the gift that he tells of?
(a) Her ability to heal the dying.
(b) Her ability to push forward.
(c) Her ability to see great things in small things.
(d) Her ability to see destruction before it happens.
14. Why are people from all over coming to Brand's church?
(a) Agnes is ill and the town is coming to watch over her.
(b) Brand is seeing over the funeral of a town official.
(c) The new church is being consecrated.
(d) The new church is on fire and needs to be put out.
15. What happens after Brand closes the church?
(a) The Mayor begs Brand to reconsider.
(b) The Dean begs Brand to reconsider.
(c) The congregation leaves and returns to town.
(d) The congregation still promises to follow him regardless of where.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Mayor comes to see Brand and tells Brand that the congregation is waiting for him. What does Brand say to the Mayor's request to begin his sermon?
2. What does the Mayor decide to do to help Brand in the building of the church?
3. According to the Mayor, what do the people coming to the church NOT care about?
4. During Brand's contemplation of the Mayor's visit, what word does he say "slips smoothly enough from off the lips?"
5. After Brand tells Einar of his life since their last meeting, where does Einar say that Agnes is?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)