|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During Agnes' decorating, she states that she is dreaming. What does Brand claim dreams are "beset with?"
(b) The truth.
(d) The future.
2. The congregation questions Brand about the length of the battle to come. What does Brand say will end their suffering?
(a) Their belief in God.
(b) The building of a new church.
(c) The fullfillment of their sacrifice: Nothing if not All.
(d) Their blood and sweat.
3. Brand informs the mayor that he will finance the re-building of the church. How does Brand intend to do this?
(a) With the money he gets from the congregation.
(b) With the money he has earned on his own.
(c) With his mother's money.
(d) With Agnes' money.
4. While Agnes is arguing with Brand about the decorating, who does he claim she is "not at odds with?"
(a) The devil.
5. When Brand is reunited with Einar, where does Einar say he has been?
(a) Alone in the caves by the fjord.
(b) Wandering the countryside.
(c) Finding his salvation.
(d) Becoming a teacher.
6. What does Brand claim about his followers on their trek up the hillside?
(a) "There is more than your fill for all."
(b) "You want the pay before the labour."
(c) That they are all on the right path now.
(d) "You all will perish before you reach the summit."
7. According to the Mayor, what do the people coming to the church NOT care about?
8. After telling the congregation to leave, what does Brand do with the keys to the church?
(a) Hands them to the Dean.
(b) Throws them into a fire.
(c) Throws them into the river.
(d) Hands them to the Mayor.
9. Agnes claims that she has given all in regard to Brand's request. What has she kept, and therefore, lied about?
(a) A bonnet.
(b) She did not use her shawl to wrap the baby in.
(c) A mite to buy more candles.
(d) The bible to preside over the funeral.
10. After Brand has completed his thoughts, he seems to be worried. What does Brand ask Agnes for?
(c) Her hand.
11. What two characters find Brand's followers on the hillside to persuade them to return home?
(a) The Mayor and his clerk.
(b) The Dean and the Mayor's clerk.
(c) Gerd and Einar.
(d) The Mayor and the Dean.
12. At the end of Act 4, Brand makes a statement regarding "true possession's price." What is the price?
13. When speaking about Alf, Agnes claims Brand is speaking coldly. What does Agnes ask Brand to do?
(a) Stop talking to her at all.
(b) Continue with the coldness.
(c) Not speak to her about Alf.
(d) Speak gently.
14. After Brand tells Einar of his life since their last meeting, where does Einar say that Agnes is?
(b) In the mountains.
15. While talking about the size of the church, what does Brand beg of Agnes?
(a) To never leave him.
(b) To never speak to Gerd again.
(c) To return to Einar.
(d) To leave him and never come back.
Short Answer Questions
1. Act 5 begins how long after the close of Act 4?
2. In the opening of Act 5, Scene 3, what are the weather conditions like?
3. The schoolmaster ans the sexton are discussing the old church. What do they claim fell along with the walls of the church?
4. A plaque has been set up displaying Brand's name. What metal is the plaque made of?
5. What news does the new arrival to the hillside tell Brand's followers is reason to return to the settlement?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)