|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Agnes say Brand should call God?
2. At the end of Act 5, Scene 1, what does the Dean decide to do?
(a) Return to town to talk to the Mayor about what they are going to do with Brand.
(b) Nothing...he believes it has all gone too far.
(c) Follow Brand up the mountain to keep the "flock from straying farther".
(d) Become a member of Brand's "new" congregation.
3. Brand informs the Mayor of his own plans to build. Initially, what does the Mayor say about Brand's plans?
(a) He says two building projects will not work.
(b) He tells Brand to go ahead and see who finishes first.
(c) He refuses to believe that Brand could accomplish the task.
(d) He supports him completely.
4. Brand makes a very specific demand of Agnes in regard to the woman. What does Brand tell Agnes to do?
(a) Prepare his clothes so that he may preside over the funeral.
(b) Give Alf's baby clothes to the woman.
(c) Wrap the baby in her shawl so that he may bless it.
(d) Prepare the confessional for the woman.
5. While Agnes is arguing with Brand about the decorating, who does he claim she is "not at odds with?"
(a) The devil.
6. The schoolmaster ans the sexton are discussing the old church. What do they claim fell along with the walls of the church?
(a) The lives of the townsfolk.
(b) Gerd's life.
(c) Agnes' life.
(d) The spirits that dwelled in the church.
7. In Act 4, what has Agnes been doing while Brand has been away with parish work?
(a) Decorating for Halloween.
(b) Decorating for Christmas.
(c) Decorating for New Year's Day.
(d) Decorating for Easter.
8. What does Gerd see when see examines Brand's hands?
(a) Nothing, they are not injured at all.
(b) Nail holes.
(c) Words carved into them.
9. During Brand's impromptu sermon, what does he claim the congregation does with God's flag?
(a) Never displays it.
(b) Fly it seven days a week.
(c) Only fly it on the Sabboth.
(d) Fly it only six days a week.
10. In regard to the fire at the mayor's home, what is the mayor concerned with saving?
(b) His soul.
(c) His children.
(d) His wife.
11. Brand informs the mayor that he will finance the re-building of the church. How does Brand intend to do this?
(a) With Agnes' money.
(b) With the money he gets from the congregation.
(c) With the money he has earned on his own.
(d) With his mother's money.
12. What do Brand and Agnes find out about the woman who has rushed into their home?
(a) She needs shelter from the weather outside.
(b) She is lost and cannot find her way home.
(c) She is a gypsy on the run.
(d) She is a long-lost relative come to take her share in the willed money.
13. As Brand is contemplating his conversation with the dean, he states "That churchyard's watered with my bleeding;
my light, my life, lie buried there:---- but not my (_____), that they'll not snare!" What will "they" not snare?
(a) His faith.
(b) His love.
(c) His soul.
(d) His church.
14. A tattered woman with a baby in her arms enters where Brand and Agnes are. What is it that the woman needs?
(a) A confessional.
(b) A priest's blessing for her child.
(c) A burial for her husband.
(d) Clothes for her child.
15. The Mayor asks Brand of his intentions in Act 4, Part 2. What does Brand say his intentions are?
(a) To leave the settlement forever.
(b) To take Agnes away to start anew.
(c) To build.
(d) To become friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. When speaking about Alf, Agnes claims Brand is speaking coldly. What does Agnes ask Brand to do?
2. What proverb does Agnes speak of as she is talking to Brand about his convictions?
3. According to Brand, what is a corpse's only task?
4. Who decides to leave with Brand (other than members of the congregation) once he closes the church?
5. What does the Mayor expect Brand to wear during his sermon in the new church?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)