|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Brand find out from the mayor about Gerd?
(a) That she is his aunt.
(b) That she escaped from another town asylum.
(c) That she is his sister.
(d) That she will destroy their plans to re-build the church.
2. At the beginning of Act 4, what do readers find out has happened to Alf?
(a) He has gotten better.
(b) He has died.
(c) He ran away.
(d) He is still the same: very ill.
3. During Brand's contemplation of the Mayor's visit, what word does he say "slips smoothly enough from off the lips?"
4. What happens after Brand closes the church?
(a) The congregation leaves and returns to town.
(b) The Dean begs Brand to reconsider.
(c) The congregation still promises to follow him regardless of where.
(d) The Mayor begs Brand to reconsider.
5. What proverb does Agnes speak of as she is talking to Brand about his convictions?
(a) "He makes his home where the living is best."
(b) "A broken hand works, but not a broken heart."
(c) "Light the lifting, hard the bearing."
(d) "A drowning man is not troubled by rain."
6. Brand makes a very specific demand of Agnes in regard to the woman. What does Brand tell Agnes to do?
(a) Prepare his clothes so that he may preside over the funeral.
(b) Prepare the confessional for the woman.
(c) Wrap the baby in her shawl so that he may bless it.
(d) Give Alf's baby clothes to the woman.
7. During Brand's impromptu sermon, what force of nature sends the congregation to gather around Brand?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) A bolt of lightening.
(c) A storm.
(d) A crash of thunder.
8. During Brand's impromptu sermon, why does the Dean claim Brand is not worth following?
(a) His faith is not true.
(b) He only answers to God and not the congregation.
(c) He is mad.
(d) His beleifs are too stern.
9. What are the three things that the committee of the church has decided to give to Brand?
(a) A gold cup, a poem, and an olive branch.
(b) A silver cup, a song, and a speech.
(c) A speech, an olive branch, and a dove.
(d) A bronze cup, a poem, and a song.
10. Why does the Mayor claim Brand has not won "this" battle?
(a) The Mayor claims to have the upper hand.
(b) The Mayor claims to have knowledge of a sin Brand carries.
(c) The Mayor says that he has sabbotaged the path Brand is on.
(d) The Mayor knows his flock.
11. What does the Mayor decide to do to help Brand in the building of the church?
(b) The blessing of the church.
(d) Raising of the walls.
12. The schoolmaster ans the sexton are discussing the old church. What do they claim fell along with the walls of the church?
(a) The spirits that dwelled in the church.
(b) The lives of the townsfolk.
(c) Gerd's life.
(d) Agnes' life.
13. What form appears to Brand after he has been chased from the hilltop by the congregation?
(a) His mother.
(d) His father.
14. What does the Mayor tell Brand that he wants to do to take place of the war that is now over?
(a) Focus on his family.
(b) Build a new home.
(c) Cure the curse of poverty.
(d) Try to find another mayoral position elsewhere.
15. Who does Agnes claim came to see her the prior night while Band was away?
(a) The mayor.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Brand leaves the Mayor to prepare for his sermon, the Mayor is very confused by Brand's words. What does the Mayor believe Brand has been doing?
2. How many people have come to the new church?
3. What does Agnes claim was wrong with her "visitor" during the night when Brand was gone?
4. At the end of Act 4, Brand makes a statement regarding "true possession's price." What is the price?
5. What does the Mayor expect Brand to wear during his sermon in the new church?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)