|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What proverb does Agnes speak of as she is talking to Brand about his convictions?
(a) "A drowning man is not troubled by rain."
(b) "A broken hand works, but not a broken heart."
(c) "Light the lifting, hard the bearing."
(d) "He makes his home where the living is best."
2. What news does the new arrival to the hillside tell Brand's followers is reason to return to the settlement?
(a) That a new priest has come to take over the church.
(b) That the Mayor has promised not to punish those who left with Brand.
(c) That the church is burning and they need help to put it out.
(d) That the fish have returned to the fjord.
3. Brand re-enters the room that Agnes is in. Agnes is going through a drawer. What does Agnes pull out of the drawer that has a pin on it?
(a) The funeral attire meant for Brand's mother.
(b) The cloak that Alf was christened in.
(c) The suit coat that Brand wore when they married.
(d) The dress she wore when she married Brand.
4. What does Brand find out from the mayor about Gerd?
(a) That she is his sister.
(b) That she will destroy their plans to re-build the church.
(c) That she escaped from another town asylum.
(d) That she is his aunt.
5. Before Brand goes to give his sermon, the Dean has come to speak to him about his obligations. What obligation does the Dean say Brand must fulfill?
(a) His obligation to his family.
(b) His obligation to the settlement.
(c) His obligation to the Dean.
(d) His obligation to State.
6. While talking about the size of the church, what does Brand beg of Agnes?
(a) To leave him and never come back.
(b) To never speak to Gerd again.
(c) To never leave him.
(d) To return to Einar.
7. In regard to the fire at the mayor's home, what is the mayor concerned with saving?
(a) His soul.
(b) His wife.
(c) His children.
8. The Mayor comes to see Brand and tells Brand that the congregation is waiting for him. What does Brand say to the Mayor's request to begin his sermon?
(a) That he is not going to the church to give the sermon.
(b) That he will be there shortly.
(c) That he has sent for someone to take his place.
(d) That he must first find Einar.
9. While discussing the number of people come to the new church, where do the schoolmaster and sexton wish they could go?
(b) To the fjord.
(d) To the mountains.
10. During Brand's impromptu sermon, what does he claim the congregation does with God's flag?
(a) Fly it only six days a week.
(b) Never displays it.
(c) Only fly it on the Sabboth.
(d) Fly it seven days a week.
11. Why does Brand tell Agnes that her offering to him and God counts for nothing?
(a) Because she is still distraught.
(b) To him, he sees no meaning behind the offering.
(c) She has vowed to keep her poverty; she cannot offer it up.
(d) Because she has no money left given the building of the church.
12. What causes the avalanche at the end of the play?
(a) The ice-church sliding down the hillside.
(b) The congregation coming down the hillside after Brand.
(c) A rifle shot by Gerd.
(d) Brand throwing himself off the hilside.
13. What holiday does Act 4 begin with?
(b) Christmas Eve.
(c) New Year's Day.
14. Who does Agnes claim came to see her the prior night while Band was away?
(a) The mayor.
15. What does Brand do to lighten the dark room of the parsonage?
(a) Lights ten candles.
(b) Lights a single candle.
(c) Opens the outer doors.
(d) Pulls the shades back from the windows.
Short Answer Questions
1. The mayor comes to visit Brand claiming that he has been beaten. Why has Brand won the war?
2. What does Agnes claim was wrong with her "visitor" during the night when Brand was gone?
3. In the opening of Act 5, Scene 3, what are the weather conditions like?
4. According to the Mayor, what do the people coming to the church NOT care about?
5. According to Brand during his initial talk with the Dean, what must new houses find?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)