|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens after Brand closes the church?
(a) The Dean begs Brand to reconsider.
(b) The Mayor begs Brand to reconsider.
(c) The congregation still promises to follow him regardless of where.
(d) The congregation leaves and returns to town.
2. How many people have come to the new church?
(a) Five hundred.
(c) One hundred.
3. In regard to the fire at the mayor's home, what is the mayor concerned with saving?
(a) His wife.
(b) His soul.
(d) His children.
4. During Brand's impromptu sermon, why does the Dean claim Brand is not worth following?
(a) His beleifs are too stern.
(b) His faith is not true.
(c) He only answers to God and not the congregation.
(d) He is mad.
5. In the opening of Act 5, Scene 3, what are the weather conditions like?
(a) A storm has just ended and a rainbow can be seen.
(b) A storm is coming.
(c) It is sunny and mild.
(d) It is hailing.
6. After Brand tells Einar of his life since their last meeting, where does Einar say that Agnes is?
(b) In the mountains.
7. The schoolmaster and the sexton are talking about the fire that ravaged the Mayor's home. What did the mayor's wife tell him to save?
(a) His children.
(b) The entire home.
(c) His soul.
8. At the end of Act 4, Brand makes a statement regarding "true possession's price." What is the price?
9. Agnes claims that she has given all in regard to Brand's request. What has she kept, and therefore, lied about?
(a) A bonnet.
(b) She did not use her shawl to wrap the baby in.
(c) The bible to preside over the funeral.
(d) A mite to buy more candles.
10. The mayor comes to visit Brand claiming that he has been beaten. Why has Brand won the war?
(a) Brand has a bigger church.
(b) Brand now holds the majority.
(c) Brand has killed all of the mayor's followers.
(d) The mayor is sick and cannot continue the battle.
11. As Brand is giving an impromptu sermon to the congregation, who does he claim is the "spirit of compromise?"
(c) The mayor.
12. During Brand's impromptu sermon, what force of nature sends the congregation to gather around Brand?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) A crash of thunder.
(c) A bolt of lightening.
(d) A storm.
13. During Agnes' decorating, she states that she is dreaming. What does Brand claim dreams are "beset with?"
(b) The truth.
(d) The future.
14. As Brand leaves the Mayor to prepare for his sermon, the Mayor is very confused by Brand's words. What does the Mayor believe Brand has been doing?
15. According to Brand during his initial talk with the Dean, what must new houses find?
(a) New followers.
(b) The faithful.
(c) New tenants.
Short Answer Questions
1. What form appears to Brand after he has been chased from the hilltop by the congregation?
2. During Brand's contemplation of the Mayor's visit, what word does he say "slips smoothly enough from off the lips?"
3. What does Brand say about Mercy?
4. The schoolmaster ans the sexton are discussing the old church. What do they claim fell along with the walls of the church?
5. Who does Agnes claim came to see her the prior night while Band was away?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)