|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the opening of Act 5, Scene 3, what are the weather conditions like?
(a) It is hailing.
(b) A storm is coming.
(c) A storm has just ended and a rainbow can be seen.
(d) It is sunny and mild.
2. Why are people from all over coming to Brand's church?
(a) Brand is seeing over the funeral of a town official.
(b) Agnes is ill and the town is coming to watch over her.
(c) The new church is on fire and needs to be put out.
(d) The new church is being consecrated.
3. Who decides to leave with Brand (other than members of the congregation) once he closes the church?
(a) The Sexton and the Schoolmaster.
(b) The priests.
(c) No one else is named.
4. What does the Mayor decide to do to help Brand in the building of the church?
(b) Raising of the walls.
(c) The blessing of the church.
5. Brand re-enters the room that Agnes is in. Agnes is going through a drawer. What does Agnes pull out of the drawer that has a pin on it?
(a) The cloak that Alf was christened in.
(b) The suit coat that Brand wore when they married.
(c) The funeral attire meant for Brand's mother.
(d) The dress she wore when she married Brand.
6. During Agnes' decorating, she states that she is dreaming. What does Brand claim dreams are "beset with?"
(b) The truth.
(d) The future.
7. The schoolmaster ans the sexton are discussing the old church. What do they claim fell along with the walls of the church?
(a) The spirits that dwelled in the church.
(b) Agnes' life.
(c) Gerd's life.
(d) The lives of the townsfolk.
8. The congregation questions Brand about the length of the battle to come. What does Brand say will end their suffering?
(a) Their belief in God.
(b) The building of a new church.
(c) The fullfillment of their sacrifice: Nothing if not All.
(d) Their blood and sweat.
9. When does Agnes wish Brand to have the new "great church" built by?
(a) Before spring.
(b) Before summer.
(c) Never. She likes the church as it is.
(d) Before fall.
10. Agnes claims that she has given all in regard to Brand's request. What has she kept, and therefore, lied about?
(a) The bible to preside over the funeral.
(b) She did not use her shawl to wrap the baby in.
(c) A bonnet.
(d) A mite to buy more candles.
11. What do Brand's followers do once they believe that he has misled them?
(a) They throw stones at him.
(b) They arrest him and put him in the prison.
(c) They push him off of the hillside.
(d) They pass word throughout the land not to trst him.
12. What form appears to Brand after he has been chased from the hilltop by the congregation?
(a) His father.
(d) His mother.
13. What holiday does Act 4 begin with?
(b) Christmas Eve.
(d) New Year's Day.
14. As Brand is speaking aloud to himself in Act 4, he talks about a gift that Agnes possesses. What is the gift that he tells of?
(a) Her ability to see great things in small things.
(b) Her ability to see destruction before it happens.
(c) Her ability to heal the dying.
(d) Her ability to push forward.
15. During Brand's impromptu sermon, what force of nature sends the congregation to gather around Brand?
(a) A bolt of lightening.
(b) A storm.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) A crash of thunder.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Brand during his initial talk with the Dean, what must new houses find?
2. During Brand's impromptu sermon, what does he claim the congregation does with God's flag?
3. As Brand is contemplating his conversation with the dean, he states "That churchyard's watered with my bleeding; my light, my life, lie buried there:---- but not my (_____), that they'll not snare!" What will "they" not snare?
4. What does Brand do to lighten the dark room of the parsonage?
5. Brand informs the Mayor of his own plans to build. Initially, what does the Mayor say about Brand's plans?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)