|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Agnes say Brand should call God?
2. As Brand is giving an impromptu sermon to the congregation, who does he claim is the "spirit of compromise?"
(c) The mayor.
3. As the Sexton and Schoolmaster are talking about church and state, someone begins playing the organ. Who is it playing the organ?
(d) The mayor.
4. In the opening of Act 5, Scene 3, what are the weather conditions like?
(a) It is hailing.
(b) A storm is coming.
(c) It is sunny and mild.
(d) A storm has just ended and a rainbow can be seen.
5. Who decides to leave with Brand (other than members of the congregation) once he closes the church?
(b) The Sexton and the Schoolmaster.
(c) No one else is named.
(d) The priests.
6. After Brand tells Einar of his life since their last meeting, where does Einar say that Agnes is?
(c) In the mountains.
7. In the opening of Act 5, Scene 2, what are Brand's followers doing as they follow him up the hillside?
8. The Mayor comes to see Brand and tells Brand that the congregation is waiting for him. What does Brand say to the Mayor's request to begin his sermon?
(a) That he will be there shortly.
(b) That he must first find Einar.
(c) That he has sent for someone to take his place.
(d) That he is not going to the church to give the sermon.
9. As Brand is speaking aloud to himself in Act 4, he talks about a gift that Agnes possesses. What is the gift that he tells of?
(a) Her ability to see destruction before it happens.
(b) Her ability to see great things in small things.
(c) Her ability to push forward.
(d) Her ability to heal the dying.
10. What does Brand say about Mercy?
(a) It is paved with an alter-stone.
(b) It is paved with gold.
(c) It is paved with heartache.
(d) It is paved by those who can afford to.
11. Why are people from all over coming to Brand's church?
(a) The new church is on fire and needs to be put out.
(b) Brand is seeing over the funeral of a town official.
(c) The new church is being consecrated.
(d) Agnes is ill and the town is coming to watch over her.
12. What does Agnes claim was wrong with her "visitor" during the night when Brand was gone?
(a) The visitor was frozen.
(b) The visitor was on fire.
(c) The visitor had no head.
(d) The visitor was transparent.
13. According to the Mayor, what day will never come?
(a) The sacrificial day.
(b) The day they will be friends.
(c) The second coming.
(d) The Sabbath.
14. During Brand's contemplation of the Mayor's visit, what word does he say "slips smoothly enough from off the lips?"
15. What does Brand claim about his followers on their trek up the hillside?
(a) "You all will perish before you reach the summit."
(b) "You want the pay before the labour."
(c) "There is more than your fill for all."
(d) That they are all on the right path now.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Brand leaves the Mayor to prepare for his sermon, the Mayor is very confused by Brand's words. What does the Mayor believe Brand has been doing?
2. During Brand's impromptu sermon, why does the Dean claim Brand is not worth following?
3. When speaking about Alf, Agnes claims Brand is speaking coldly. What does Agnes ask Brand to do?
4. What does the Mayor tell Brand he should expect given his accomplishments for the church?
5. A tattered woman with a baby in her arms enters where Brand and Agnes are. What is it that the woman needs?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)