|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does Agnes hate to hear?
2. Who does Agnes claim came to see her the prior night while Band was away?
(c) The mayor.
3. What causes the avalanche at the end of the play?
(a) The ice-church sliding down the hillside.
(b) The congregation coming down the hillside after Brand.
(c) Brand throwing himself off the hilside.
(d) A rifle shot by Gerd.
4. In the opening of Act 5, Scene 3, what are the weather conditions like?
(a) A storm is coming.
(b) A storm has just ended and a rainbow can be seen.
(c) It is sunny and mild.
(d) It is hailing.
5. During Brand's impromptu sermon, why does the Dean claim Brand is not worth following?
(a) He is mad.
(b) He only answers to God and not the congregation.
(c) His faith is not true.
(d) His beleifs are too stern.
6. During Brand's contemplation of the Mayor's visit, what word does he say "slips smoothly enough from off the lips?"
7. As the congregation pours into the church to find Brand, what do the priests claim is wrong with him?
(a) That he has paired with the Devil.
(b) That he is under a spell.
(c) That he is ill.
(d) That he has gone mad.
8. Brand makes a very specific demand of Agnes in regard to the woman. What does Brand tell Agnes to do?
(a) Prepare his clothes so that he may preside over the funeral.
(b) Give Alf's baby clothes to the woman.
(c) Prepare the confessional for the woman.
(d) Wrap the baby in her shawl so that he may bless it.
9. In the opening of Act 5, Scene 3, what is Brand's appearance?
(a) Bloodied and bruised.
(b) Perfect, nothing is wrong with him.
(c) He has lost a limb.
(d) He is soaked to the bone from the storm.
10. What does Brand do to lighten the dark room of the parsonage?
(a) Pulls the shades back from the windows.
(b) Opens the outer doors.
(c) Lights ten candles.
(d) Lights a single candle.
11. In the opening of Act 5, Scene 2, what are Brand's followers doing as they follow him up the hillside?
12. During Agnes' decorating, she states that she is dreaming. What does Brand claim dreams are "beset with?"
(a) The truth.
(d) The future.
13. What does Gerd see when see examines Brand's hands?
(a) Nothing, they are not injured at all.
(c) Nail holes.
(d) Words carved into them.
14. Who does the Mayor believe he can get to help with the re-construction of the church?
(a) The prisoners of the town's jail.
(c) Builders from another settlement.
(d) The townsfolk.
15. Why does the Mayor claim Brand has not won "this" battle?
(a) The Mayor claims to have the upper hand.
(b) The Mayor claims to have knowledge of a sin Brand carries.
(c) The Mayor says that he has sabbotaged the path Brand is on.
(d) The Mayor knows his flock.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the three things that the committee of the church has decided to give to Brand?
2. What does the Mayor tell Brand he should expect given his accomplishments for the church?
3. What does the Mayor tell Brand that he wants to do to take place of the war that is now over?
4. When Brand is reunited with Einar, where does Einar say he has been?
5. The Mayor comes to see Brand and tells Brand that the congregation is waiting for him. What does Brand say to the Mayor's request to begin his sermon?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)