|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people have come to the new church?
(a) Five hundred.
(b) One hundred.
2. Why does Brand tell Agnes that her offering to him and God counts for nothing?
(a) Because she is still distraught.
(b) To him, he sees no meaning behind the offering.
(c) Because she has no money left given the building of the church.
(d) She has vowed to keep her poverty; she cannot offer it up.
3. In Act 4, Part 3, Agnes has entered the room Brand is in to decorate the room. What does he order her to do?
(a) Leave him to think.
(b) Put out more candles.
(c) Stop with the festivities.
(d) Close the shades.
4. As Brand is speaking aloud to himself in Act 4, he talks about a gift that Agnes possesses. What is the gift that he tells of?
(a) Her ability to heal the dying.
(b) Her ability to see destruction before it happens.
(c) Her ability to see great things in small things.
(d) Her ability to push forward.
5. As Brand is giving an impromptu sermon to the congregation, who does he claim is the "spirit of compromise?"
(b) The mayor.
6. What does the Mayor expect Brand to wear during his sermon in the new church?
(a) The colors of the settlement.
(b) The pin from Alf's christening gown.
(c) The flag of the setlement.
(d) The order's cross.
7. Who does the Mayor believe he can get to help with the re-construction of the church?
(a) The townsfolk.
(b) The prisoners of the town's jail.
(c) Builders from another settlement.
8. Why does the Mayor claim Brand has not won "this" battle?
(a) The Mayor claims to have knowledge of a sin Brand carries.
(b) The Mayor says that he has sabbotaged the path Brand is on.
(c) The Mayor knows his flock.
(d) The Mayor claims to have the upper hand.
9. After Brand has completed his thoughts, he seems to be worried. What does Brand ask Agnes for?
(b) Her hand.
10. According to the Mayor, what day will never come?
(a) The sacrificial day.
(b) The day they will be friends.
(c) The second coming.
(d) The Sabbath.
11. Brand re-enters the room that Agnes is in. Agnes is going through a drawer. What does Agnes pull out of the drawer that has a pin on it?
(a) The cloak that Alf was christened in.
(b) The suit coat that Brand wore when they married.
(c) The funeral attire meant for Brand's mother.
(d) The dress she wore when she married Brand.
12. During Brand's conversation with the Dean, what does he claim has deserted him?
(b) HIs courage.
(c) His belief.
(d) His congregation.
13. After Brand tells Einar of his life since their last meeting, where does Einar say that Agnes is?
(c) In the mountains.
14. Why are people from all over coming to Brand's church?
(a) The new church is on fire and needs to be put out.
(b) The new church is being consecrated.
(c) Agnes is ill and the town is coming to watch over her.
(d) Brand is seeing over the funeral of a town official.
15. When speaking about Alf, Agnes claims Brand is speaking coldly. What does Agnes ask Brand to do?
(a) Stop talking to her at all.
(b) Not speak to her about Alf.
(c) Speak gently.
(d) Continue with the coldness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Brand informs the Mayor of his own plans to build. Initially, what does the Mayor say about Brand's plans?
2. At the end of Act 5, Scene 1, what does the Dean decide to do?
3. During Brand's impromptu sermon, what does he claim the congregation does with God's flag?
4. The congregation questions Brand about the length of the battle to come. What does Brand say will end their suffering?
5. A plaque has been set up displaying Brand's name. What metal is the plaque made of?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)