|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Brand goes to give his sermon, the Dean has come to speak to him about his obligations. What obligation does the Dean say Brand must fulfill?
(a) His obligation to the settlement.
(b) His obligation to the Dean.
(c) His obligation to his family.
(d) His obligation to State.
2. According to the Mayor, what day will never come?
(a) The second coming.
(b) The Sabbath.
(c) The sacrificial day.
(d) The day they will be friends.
3. As the congregation pours into the church to find Brand, what do the priests claim is wrong with him?
(a) That he has paired with the Devil.
(b) That he has gone mad.
(c) That he is ill.
(d) That he is under a spell.
4. According to the Mayor, what do the people coming to the church care about?
5. According to the Mayor, what do the people coming to the church NOT care about?
6. Who decides to leave with Brand (other than members of the congregation) once he closes the church?
(a) The priests.
(b) The Sexton and the Schoolmaster.
(c) No one else is named.
7. During Brand's impromptu sermon, what does he claim the congregation does with God's flag?
(a) Fly it only six days a week.
(b) Fly it seven days a week.
(c) Only fly it on the Sabboth.
(d) Never displays it.
8. The schoolmaster ans the sexton are discussing the old church. What do they claim fell along with the walls of the church?
(a) The spirits that dwelled in the church.
(b) The lives of the townsfolk.
(c) Gerd's life.
(d) Agnes' life.
9. What does Gerd see when see examines Brand's hands?
(b) Nail holes.
(c) Nothing, they are not injured at all.
(d) Words carved into them.
10. During Brand's contemplation of the Mayor's visit, what word does he say "slips smoothly enough from off the lips?"
11. According to Brand during his initial talk with the Dean, what must new houses find?
(a) New tenants.
(c) The faithful.
(d) New followers.
12. A tattered woman with a baby in her arms enters where Brand and Agnes are. What is it that the woman needs?
(a) A burial for her husband.
(b) Clothes for her child.
(c) A priest's blessing for her child.
(d) A confessional.
13. At the end of Act 4, Brand makes a statement regarding "true possession's price." What is the price?
14. Who does Agnes claim came to see her the prior night while Band was away?
(d) The mayor.
15. The schoolmaster and the sexton are talking about the fire that ravaged the Mayor's home. What did the mayor's wife tell him to save?
(b) His soul.
(c) The entire home.
(d) His children.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Brand, what is a corpse's only task?
2. What are the three things that the committee of the church has decided to give to Brand?
3. What two characters find Brand's followers on the hillside to persuade them to return home?
4. What does the Mayor tell Brand he should expect given his accomplishments for the church?
5. What does Agnes claim is all she has left to offer to Brand and God?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)