|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Brand leaves the Mayor to prepare for his sermon, the Mayor is very confused by Brand's words. What does the Mayor believe Brand has been doing?
2. A plaque has been set up displaying Brand's name. What metal is the plaque made of?
3. In the opening of Act 5, Scene 2, what are Brand's followers doing as they follow him up the hillside?
4. As Brand is speaking aloud to himself in Act 4, he talks about a gift that Agnes possesses. What is the gift that he tells of?
(a) Her ability to push forward.
(b) Her ability to see destruction before it happens.
(c) Her ability to heal the dying.
(d) Her ability to see great things in small things.
5. What proverb does Agnes speak of as she is talking to Brand about his convictions?
(a) "Light the lifting, hard the bearing."
(b) "He makes his home where the living is best."
(c) "A broken hand works, but not a broken heart."
(d) "A drowning man is not troubled by rain."
6. According to the Mayor, what day will never come?
(a) The Sabbath.
(b) The sacrificial day.
(c) The day they will be friends.
(d) The second coming.
7. What do Brand's followers do once they believe that he has misled them?
(a) They push him off of the hillside.
(b) They pass word throughout the land not to trst him.
(c) They throw stones at him.
(d) They arrest him and put him in the prison.
8. When does Agnes wish Brand to have the new "great church" built by?
(a) Never. She likes the church as it is.
(b) Before summer.
(c) Before spring.
(d) Before fall.
9. At the beginning of Act 4, what do readers find out has happened to Alf?
(a) He is still the same: very ill.
(b) He has gotten better.
(c) He ran away.
(d) He has died.
10. The schoolmaster and the sexton are talking about Brand. According to them, why is Brand different?
(a) He sees the new church as a path to greater power for him.
(b) Agnes has died and he cannot hide the sorrow.
(c) Alf has just died and Brand must preside over the funeral.
(d) He is trying to leave the church and become the mayor.
11. When speaking about Alf, Agnes claims Brand is speaking coldly. What does Agnes ask Brand to do?
(a) Continue with the coldness.
(b) Speak gently.
(c) Stop talking to her at all.
(d) Not speak to her about Alf.
12. According to Brand during his initial talk with the Dean, what must new houses find?
(a) The faithful.
(b) New tenants.
(c) New followers.
13. In the opening of Act 5, Scene 3, what are the weather conditions like?
(a) It is hailing.
(b) A storm has just ended and a rainbow can be seen.
(c) A storm is coming.
(d) It is sunny and mild.
14. According to the Mayor, what do the people coming to the church NOT care about?
15. Brand informs the Mayor of his own plans to build. Initially, what does the Mayor say about Brand's plans?
(a) He says two building projects will not work.
(b) He supports him completely.
(c) He refuses to believe that Brand could accomplish the task.
(d) He tells Brand to go ahead and see who finishes first.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brand do to lighten the dark room of the parsonage?
2. What two characters find Brand's followers on the hillside to persuade them to return home?
3. What do Brand and Agnes find out about the woman who has rushed into their home?
4. According to the Mayor, what do the people coming to the church care about?
5. Why are people from all over coming to Brand's church?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)