|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During Brand's contemplation of the Mayor's visit, what word does he say "slips smoothly enough from off the lips?"
2. What two characters find Brand's followers on the hillside to persuade them to return home?
(a) The Mayor and the Dean.
(b) The Dean and the Mayor's clerk.
(c) The Mayor and his clerk.
(d) Gerd and Einar.
3. As Einar leaves, Brand realizes something about him. What does Brand realize?
(a) That Einar is the man he needs to help him.
(b) That it was best that Einar left.
(c) That he has failed all of humanity.
(d) That he was wrong in taking Agnes from Einar.
4. According to Brand during his initial talk with the Dean, what must new houses find?
(a) New followers.
(c) The faithful.
(d) New tenants.
5. What does Agnes claim is all she has left to offer to Brand and God?
(b) Her vast wealth.
(c) Her poverty.
(d) Her heart's root.
6. What does Agnes say Brand should call God?
7. Act 5 begins how long after the close of Act 4?
(a) A year.
(b) Two years.
(c) Two and a half years.
(d) A year and a half.
8. The Mayor comes to see Brand and tells Brand that the congregation is waiting for him. What does Brand say to the Mayor's request to begin his sermon?
(a) That he must first find Einar.
(b) That he will be there shortly.
(c) That he has sent for someone to take his place.
(d) That he is not going to the church to give the sermon.
9. During Brand's impromptu sermon, what does he claim the congregation does with God's flag?
(a) Never displays it.
(b) Fly it seven days a week.
(c) Fly it only six days a week.
(d) Only fly it on the Sabboth.
10. What causes the avalanche at the end of the play?
(a) Brand throwing himself off the hilside.
(b) A rifle shot by Gerd.
(c) The congregation coming down the hillside after Brand.
(d) The ice-church sliding down the hillside.
11. Brand re-enters the room that Agnes is in. Agnes is going through a drawer. What does Agnes pull out of the drawer that has a pin on it?
(a) The funeral attire meant for Brand's mother.
(b) The suit coat that Brand wore when they married.
(c) The cloak that Alf was christened in.
(d) The dress she wore when she married Brand.
12. According to the Mayor, what do the people coming to the church NOT care about?
13. Why does the Mayor claim Brand has not won "this" battle?
(a) The Mayor says that he has sabbotaged the path Brand is on.
(b) The Mayor knows his flock.
(c) The Mayor claims to have the upper hand.
(d) The Mayor claims to have knowledge of a sin Brand carries.
14. In the opening of Act 5, Scene 3, what are the weather conditions like?
(a) It is hailing.
(b) A storm is coming.
(c) It is sunny and mild.
(d) A storm has just ended and a rainbow can be seen.
15. The schoolmaster and the sexton are talking about Brand. According to them, why is Brand different?
(a) Alf has just died and Brand must preside over the funeral.
(b) He sees the new church as a path to greater power for him.
(c) Agnes has died and he cannot hide the sorrow.
(d) He is trying to leave the church and become the mayor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Agnes hate to hear?
2. As Brand leaves the Mayor to prepare for his sermon, the Mayor is very confused by Brand's words. What does the Mayor believe Brand has been doing?
3. After Brand has completed his thoughts, he seems to be worried. What does Brand ask Agnes for?
4. During Brand's conversation with the Dean, what does he claim has deserted him?
5. According to the Mayor, what day will never come?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)