|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During Brand's impromptu sermon, what does he claim the congregation does with God's flag?
(a) Fly it only six days a week.
(b) Only fly it on the Sabboth.
(c) Fly it seven days a week.
(d) Never displays it.
2. While discussing the number of people come to the new church, where do the schoolmaster and sexton wish they could go?
(b) To the fjord.
(d) To the mountains.
3. What form appears to Brand after he has been chased from the hilltop by the congregation?
(a) His father.
(d) His mother.
4. Who decides to leave with Brand (other than members of the congregation) once he closes the church?
(a) The Sexton and the Schoolmaster.
(b) No one else is named.
(c) The priests.
5. During Brand's impromptu sermon, why does the Dean claim Brand is not worth following?
(a) He is mad.
(b) His faith is not true.
(c) He only answers to God and not the congregation.
(d) His beleifs are too stern.
6. What does the Mayor decide to do to help Brand in the building of the church?
(b) The blessing of the church.
(c) Raising of the walls.
7. What does the Mayor tell Brand that he wants to do to take place of the war that is now over?
(a) Focus on his family.
(b) Build a new home.
(c) Try to find another mayoral position elsewhere.
(d) Cure the curse of poverty.
8. When does Agnes wish Brand to have the new "great church" built by?
(a) Before fall.
(b) Before summer.
(c) Never. She likes the church as it is.
(d) Before spring.
9. Agnes claims that she has given all in regard to Brand's request. What has she kept, and therefore, lied about?
(a) She did not use her shawl to wrap the baby in.
(b) The bible to preside over the funeral.
(c) A mite to buy more candles.
(d) A bonnet.
10. After Brand has completed his thoughts, he seems to be worried. What does Brand ask Agnes for?
(c) Her hand.
11. Brand informs the Mayor of his own plans to build. Initially, what does the Mayor say about Brand's plans?
(a) He tells Brand to go ahead and see who finishes first.
(b) He refuses to believe that Brand could accomplish the task.
(c) He says two building projects will not work.
(d) He supports him completely.
12. What does Gerd see when see examines Brand's hands?
(b) Nail holes.
(c) Words carved into them.
(d) Nothing, they are not injured at all.
13. As the Sexton and Schoolmaster are talking about church and state, someone begins playing the organ. Who is it playing the organ?
(c) The mayor.
14. According to the Mayor, what day will never come?
(a) The sacrificial day.
(b) The day they will be friends.
(c) The Sabbath.
(d) The second coming.
15. While talking about the size of the church, what does Brand beg of Agnes?
(a) To return to Einar.
(b) To never leave him.
(c) To never speak to Gerd again.
(d) To leave him and never come back.
Short Answer Questions
1. A plaque has been set up displaying Brand's name. What metal is the plaque made of?
2. Brand informs the mayor that he will finance the re-building of the church. How does Brand intend to do this?
3. What proverb does Agnes speak of as she is talking to Brand about his convictions?
4. What are the three things that the committee of the church has decided to give to Brand?
5. While Brand and the Mayor are discussing different building hopes, what does Brand think is needed most?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)