|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Mayor tell Brand he should expect given his accomplishments for the church?
(b) The pope offering him a cardinal position.
(c) A larger congregation than the church can handle.
(d) A new home.
2. Why does Brand tell Agnes that her offering to him and God counts for nothing?
(a) Because she is still distraught.
(b) To him, he sees no meaning behind the offering.
(c) She has vowed to keep her poverty; she cannot offer it up.
(d) Because she has no money left given the building of the church.
3. While talking about the size of the church, what does Brand beg of Agnes?
(a) To return to Einar.
(b) To never leave him.
(c) To never speak to Gerd again.
(d) To leave him and never come back.
4. Act 5 begins how long after the close of Act 4?
(a) A year.
(b) A year and a half.
(c) Two years.
(d) Two and a half years.
5. What are the three things that the committee of the church has decided to give to Brand?
(a) A speech, an olive branch, and a dove.
(b) A silver cup, a song, and a speech.
(c) A bronze cup, a poem, and a song.
(d) A gold cup, a poem, and an olive branch.
6. Who does the Mayor believe he can get to help with the re-construction of the church?
(b) The townsfolk.
(c) Builders from another settlement.
(d) The prisoners of the town's jail.
7. While discussing the number of people come to the new church, where do the schoolmaster and sexton wish they could go?
(a) To the fjord.
(c) To the mountains.
8. The mayor comes to visit Brand claiming that he has been beaten. Why has Brand won the war?
(a) The mayor is sick and cannot continue the battle.
(b) Brand now holds the majority.
(c) Brand has a bigger church.
(d) Brand has killed all of the mayor's followers.
9. The Mayor asks Brand of his intentions in Act 4, Part 2. What does Brand say his intentions are?
(a) To leave the settlement forever.
(b) To take Agnes away to start anew.
(c) To become friends.
(d) To build.
10. When speaking about Alf, Agnes claims Brand is speaking coldly. What does Agnes ask Brand to do?
(a) Not speak to her about Alf.
(b) Stop talking to her at all.
(c) Speak gently.
(d) Continue with the coldness.
11. As the Sexton and Schoolmaster are talking about church and state, someone begins playing the organ. Who is it playing the organ?
(b) The mayor.
12. What news does the new arrival to the hillside tell Brand's followers is reason to return to the settlement?
(a) That the church is burning and they need help to put it out.
(b) That the Mayor has promised not to punish those who left with Brand.
(c) That the fish have returned to the fjord.
(d) That a new priest has come to take over the church.
13. What does Brand claim about his followers on their trek up the hillside?
(a) "You all will perish before you reach the summit."
(b) That they are all on the right path now.
(c) "You want the pay before the labour."
(d) "There is more than your fill for all."
14. The Mayor comes to see Brand and tells Brand that the congregation is waiting for him. What does Brand say to the Mayor's request to begin his sermon?
(a) That he must first find Einar.
(b) That he has sent for someone to take his place.
(c) That he will be there shortly.
(d) That he is not going to the church to give the sermon.
15. In the opening of Act 5, Scene 3, what is Brand's appearance?
(a) He has lost a limb.
(b) Perfect, nothing is wrong with him.
(c) Bloodied and bruised.
(d) He is soaked to the bone from the storm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What form appears to Brand after he has been chased from the hilltop by the congregation?
2. What does Agnes say Brand should call God?
3. The schoolmaster ans the sexton are discussing the old church. What do they claim fell along with the walls of the church?
4. The congregation questions Brand about the length of the battle to come. What does Brand say will end their suffering?
5. At the end of Act 4, Brand makes a statement regarding "true possession's price." What is the price?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)