|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The schoolmaster and the sexton are talking about the fire that ravaged the Mayor's home. What did the mayor's wife tell him to save?
(b) His soul.
(c) The entire home.
(d) His children.
2. A tattered woman with a baby in her arms enters where Brand and Agnes are. What is it that the woman needs?
(a) A confessional.
(b) A priest's blessing for her child.
(c) A burial for her husband.
(d) Clothes for her child.
3. What happens after Brand closes the church?
(a) The congregation still promises to follow him regardless of where.
(b) The Dean begs Brand to reconsider.
(c) The congregation leaves and returns to town.
(d) The Mayor begs Brand to reconsider.
4. In the opening of Act 5, Scene 2, what are Brand's followers doing as they follow him up the hillside?
5. What does Agnes say Brand should call God?
6. Who does Agnes claim came to see her the prior night while Band was away?
(b) The mayor.
7. At the end of Act 5, Scene 1, what does the Dean decide to do?
(a) Follow Brand up the mountain to keep the "flock from straying farther".
(b) Return to town to talk to the Mayor about what they are going to do with Brand.
(c) Become a member of Brand's "new" congregation.
(d) Nothing...he believes it has all gone too far.
8. What does Agnes claim was wrong with her "visitor" during the night when Brand was gone?
(a) The visitor was transparent.
(b) The visitor had no head.
(c) The visitor was frozen.
(d) The visitor was on fire.
9. What form appears to Brand after he has been chased from the hilltop by the congregation?
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
10. In regard to the fire at the mayor's home, what is the mayor concerned with saving?
(a) His wife.
(b) His children.
(d) His soul.
11. Who does the Mayor believe he can get to help with the re-construction of the church?
(a) The prisoners of the town's jail.
(b) The townsfolk.
(c) Builders from another settlement.
12. According to Brand during his initial talk with the Dean, what must new houses find?
(a) New followers.
(c) The faithful.
(d) New tenants.
13. The schoolmaster ans the sexton are discussing the old church. What do they claim fell along with the walls of the church?
(a) Agnes' life.
(b) The spirits that dwelled in the church.
(c) The lives of the townsfolk.
(d) Gerd's life.
14. According to Brand, what is a corpse's only task?
(a) To give those living something tangible to mourn.
(b) Harbor a soul until death.
(c) Giving nourishment to new seeds.
(d) Raising from the dead to seek vengence.
15. What word does Agnes hate to hear?
Short Answer Questions
1. As the congregation pours into the church to find Brand, what do the priests claim is wrong with him?
2. What do Brand and Agnes find out about the woman who has rushed into their home?
3. According to the Mayor, what do the people coming to the church care about?
4. According to the Mayor, what do the people coming to the church NOT care about?
5. What two characters find Brand's followers on the hillside to persuade them to return home?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)