|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Mayor, what day will never come?
(a) The sacrificial day.
(b) The day they will be friends.
(c) The Sabbath.
(d) The second coming.
2. During Agnes' decorating, she states that she is dreaming. What does Brand claim dreams are "beset with?"
(a) The future.
(d) The truth.
3. What news does the new arrival to the hillside tell Brand's followers is reason to return to the settlement?
(a) That the Mayor has promised not to punish those who left with Brand.
(b) That the fish have returned to the fjord.
(c) That a new priest has come to take over the church.
(d) That the church is burning and they need help to put it out.
4. According to the Mayor, what do the people coming to the church care about?
5. According to Brand during his initial talk with the Dean, what must new houses find?
(b) New followers.
(c) The faithful.
(d) New tenants.
6. As Brand is contemplating his conversation with the dean, he states "That churchyard's watered with my bleeding;
my light, my life, lie buried there:---- but not my (_____), that they'll not snare!" What will "they" not snare?
(a) His church.
(b) His soul.
(c) His faith.
(d) His love.
7. Why does Brand tell Agnes that her offering to him and God counts for nothing?
(a) To him, he sees no meaning behind the offering.
(b) Because she has no money left given the building of the church.
(c) Because she is still distraught.
(d) She has vowed to keep her poverty; she cannot offer it up.
8. In Act 4, Part 3, Agnes has entered the room Brand is in to decorate the room. What does he order her to do?
(a) Close the shades.
(b) Leave him to think.
(c) Put out more candles.
(d) Stop with the festivities.
9. Who decides to leave with Brand (other than members of the congregation) once he closes the church?
(a) No one else is named.
(c) The Sexton and the Schoolmaster.
(d) The priests.
10. What does Agnes say Brand should call God?
11. When Brand is reunited with Einar, where does Einar say he has been?
(a) Finding his salvation.
(b) Alone in the caves by the fjord.
(c) Wandering the countryside.
(d) Becoming a teacher.
12. What does the Mayor decide to do to help Brand in the building of the church?
(a) The blessing of the church.
(d) Raising of the walls.
13. According to Brand, what is a corpse's only task?
(a) Harbor a soul until death.
(b) Raising from the dead to seek vengence.
(c) Giving nourishment to new seeds.
(d) To give those living something tangible to mourn.
14. Who does the Mayor believe he can get to help with the re-construction of the church?
(a) The prisoners of the town's jail.
(c) The townsfolk.
(d) Builders from another settlement.
15. According to the Mayor, what do the people coming to the church NOT care about?
Short Answer Questions
1. The congregation questions Brand about the length of the battle to come. What does Brand say will end their suffering?
2. As Brand is speaking aloud to himself in Act 4, he talks about a gift that Agnes possesses. What is the gift that he tells of?
3. What causes the avalanche at the end of the play?
4. After Brand has completed his thoughts, he seems to be worried. What does Brand ask Agnes for?
5. During Brand's conversation with the Dean, what does he claim has deserted him?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)