|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While talking about the size of the church, what does Brand beg of Agnes?
(a) To never speak to Gerd again.
(b) To never leave him.
(c) To leave him and never come back.
(d) To return to Einar.
2. After telling the congregation to leave, what does Brand do with the keys to the church?
(a) Hands them to the Dean.
(b) Hands them to the Mayor.
(c) Throws them into a fire.
(d) Throws them into the river.
3. What does Agnes claim was wrong with her "visitor" during the night when Brand was gone?
(a) The visitor had no head.
(b) The visitor was transparent.
(c) The visitor was on fire.
(d) The visitor was frozen.
4. The mayor comes to visit Brand claiming that he has been beaten. Why has Brand won the war?
(a) Brand has killed all of the mayor's followers.
(b) The mayor is sick and cannot continue the battle.
(c) Brand now holds the majority.
(d) Brand has a bigger church.
5. During Brand's conversation with the Dean, what does he claim has deserted him?
(b) His congregation.
(c) HIs courage.
(d) His belief.
6. While discussing the number of people come to the new church, where do the schoolmaster and sexton wish they could go?
(c) To the fjord.
(d) To the mountains.
7. What does the Mayor decide to do to help Brand in the building of the church?
(a) Raising of the walls.
(d) The blessing of the church.
8. At the beginning of Act 4, what do readers find out has happened to Alf?
(a) He ran away.
(b) He has died.
(c) He is still the same: very ill.
(d) He has gotten better.
9. What does Agnes claim is all she has left to offer to Brand and God?
(a) Her heart's root.
(b) Her poverty.
(c) Her vast wealth.
10. During Brand's impromptu sermon, what force of nature sends the congregation to gather around Brand?
(a) A storm.
(b) A bolt of lightening.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) A crash of thunder.
11. According to the Mayor, what do the people coming to the church care about?
12. In the opening of Act 5, Scene 3, what are the weather conditions like?
(a) A storm is coming.
(b) It is hailing.
(c) It is sunny and mild.
(d) A storm has just ended and a rainbow can be seen.
13. What does the Mayor tell Brand he should expect given his accomplishments for the church?
(b) The pope offering him a cardinal position.
(c) A larger congregation than the church can handle.
(d) A new home.
14. What proverb does Agnes speak of as she is talking to Brand about his convictions?
(a) "A drowning man is not troubled by rain."
(b) "He makes his home where the living is best."
(c) "A broken hand works, but not a broken heart."
(d) "Light the lifting, hard the bearing."
15. What do Brand's followers do once they believe that he has misled them?
(a) They push him off of the hillside.
(b) They throw stones at him.
(c) They arrest him and put him in the prison.
(d) They pass word throughout the land not to trst him.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the congregation pours into the church to find Brand, what do the priests claim is wrong with him?
2. According to the Mayor, what do the people coming to the church NOT care about?
3. During Brand's impromptu sermon, what does he claim the congregation does with God's flag?
4. Agnes claims that she has given all in regard to Brand's request. What has she kept, and therefore, lied about?
5. The schoolmaster and the sexton are talking about Brand. According to them, why is Brand different?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)