|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While contemplating staying, who does Brand say will be "born again" in the settlement?
2. What debt does Brand claim his mother owes?
(a) A debt to God.
(b) A debt to him.
(c) A debt to the Devil.
(d) A debt to the bank.
3. Where are Einar and Agnes going on their journey?
(a) To the forest.
(b) To Einar's hometown.
(c) To Agnes' hometown.
(d) To the ocean.
4. What does Einar claim Brand has of his?
(a) His cow.
(b) His money.
(c) His son.
5. After the doctor leaves, Brand enters his house. What does he find has happened to Alf?
(a) Alf is dead.
(b) Alf has ran away.
(c) Alf has burned himself on the stove.
(d) Alf is very ill.
6. Why does Agnes believe "all earthly souls are doomed to fail?"
(a) Because God asks too much of them.
(b) Because no man is willing to give "Nothing."
(c) Because no man is willing to give "All."
(d) Because everyone is full of sin.
7. What promise does Agnes tell Brand he has failed to keep regarding their life?
(a) That she would become a noble of the land if she married him.
(b) Brand said he would leave her until his mother dies.
(c) They are poor and Brand said that they would be wealthly.
(d) He said their life would be one of woe and she is actually living a happy life.
8. What is the peasant not willing to give up to ease his daughter's death?
(a) HIs wealth.
(b) His land.
(c) His home.
(d) His life.
9. What does Brand claim his mother did in search of fortune?
(a) Abandoned him at an orphanage.
(b) Brought prasie to God.
(c) Cheated on his father.
(d) Put her soul up for sale.
10. After informing Brand of his mother's death, what does the doctor tell Brand that their generation is concerned with?
(d) Rods of flame.
11. The play begins in what country?
12. Who does Brand see sitting on the shore as the Men leave to return to the settlement?
(c) The Woman.
13. When Brand enters the fjord, why does the Mayor ask Brand for money?
(a) Because a hurricane has destroyed the town.
(b) Because the Mayor wants to build a new lodge.
(c) Because Brand looks wealthy.
(d) Because the town is in the middle of a long famine.
14. Who does Brand's mother wish to take the glare of blinding light away?
(a) The Devil.
15. Despite the Mayor's argument, why does Brand deny the Mayor's request?
(a) Brand claims: "it's thanks to me the population has made a two, nigh three-fold rise."
(b) Brand claims he is "at war with Nature's stubbornness."
(c) Brand claims: "A man can't choose his calling's sphere."
(d) Brand claims to still need to "bring some order and cleanse the people's rampant sin."
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the only place Gerd ever feels safe?
2. What is Gerd chasing when she meets Brand?
3. For what reason is Brand's mother fearful?
4. Where does Brand ask Agnes to go after his mother leaves?
5. Who is seen at the top off the cliffs as Brand leaves to cross the fjord?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)