|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Brand, what does he tell the Mayor is "the greatest triumph?"
(d) The second coming.
2. After the doctor leaves, Brand enters his house. What does he find has happened to Alf?
(a) Alf is very ill.
(b) Alf is dead.
(c) Alf has burned himself on the stove.
(d) Alf has ran away.
3. How does the valley look different from Brand's memories of it?
(a) It looks abandoned.
(b) It looks smaller than he remembers.
(c) He does not recognize the land at all.
(d) It looks larger than he remembers.
4. Where are Einar and Agnes going on their journey?
(a) To Agnes' hometown.
(b) To the ocean.
(c) To the forest.
(d) To Einar's hometown.
5. Who does Brand describe as "well-meaning, plump and debonair, both hands in pocket, quite sublimely like brackets in parenthesis?"
(a) The Mayor.
(d) The doctor.
6. What is the peasant willing to pay to ease his daughter's death?
7. Gerd arrives just after the Man leaves. What is Gerd saying has happened?
(a) That Brand's mother has died.
(b) That the mayor has died.
(c) That she has seen Alf running away through the mountains.
(d) The preacher has left.
8. What does the Man call Brand when Brand says the mayor has been telling the truth?
(a) A dirty liar.
(b) A savior.
(c) A shameless scold.
(d) A demon.
9. What does Brand tell his mother she must do to repay her debt?
(a) Give up everything she has.
(b) Nothing- she is too far gone.
(c) Give her tithes to the church.
(d) Go to the bank and take out a loan.
10. What do readers find out Brand's mother did to his father while he lay on his deathbed?
(a) Suffocated him with a pillow.
(b) Poisoned him.
(c) Nothing-she was never by his side.
(d) Searched for his money.
11. What does the Man claim Brand has shown the townsfolk?
(a) The Devil.
(b) Their sin.
12. Why does Brand refuse to go with the Doctor?
(a) Brand does not like the doctor and will not go anywhere with him.
(b) Brand will not go unless he has been personally called for.
(c) Brand has to deliver communion.
(d) Brand must stay with Alf.
13. As Brand finishes his soliloquy, what falls on the ground next to him?
(a) A rock.
(b) A scarf.
(c) A bible.
(d) A bird.
14. At the opening of Act 2, Scene One, what is the mayor handing out to the townsfolk?
15. What does the Mayor warn Man Two not to do after discovering that his wife has died?
(a) Abandon his children.
(b) Start any trouble.
(c) Marry again.
(d) Leave town.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Agnes believe "all earthly souls are doomed to fail?"
2. What does the Woman need who runs into the town as the squall hits?
3. Why can't Brand and the Woman go back the way she has come?
4. What does Brand save Einar and Agnes from doing?
5. What does Brand say will cause Gerd's church to fall?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)