Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Brand is contemplating the doctor's prognosis, what does the doctor claim about Brand?
(a) That when personally troubled, All or Nothing still matters.
(b) That even in the face of death, Brand complies to all others' needs.
(c) That he is the weakest man he has ever met.
(d) That when personally troubled, All or Nothing does not matter.
2. What is the peasant willing to pay to ease his daughter's death?
3. At the end of Act 3, what does Agnes offer up to God as an offering?
4. In the opening act, who is with Brand?
(a) No one- he is alone.
(b) A peasant and his son.
(c) His wife and a maid.
(d) The schoolmaster and a clerk.
5. What do readers find out Brand's mother did to his father while he lay on his deathbed?
(a) Nothing-she was never by his side.
(b) Suffocated him with a pillow.
(c) Poisoned him.
(d) Searched for his money.
6. What does Gerd wish Brand to do in her church?
(a) Become the priest.
(b) Sabotage the worship service.
(c) Become a member of the congregation.
(d) Try to help her set it fire.
7. Who does Gerd threaten when she leaves to go to church?
(a) The hawk.
(b) Brand's son.
(d) The townsfolk.
8. Who does Brand's mother wish to take the glare of blinding light away?
(b) The Devil.
9. In the beginning of Act Three, why is Brand anxiously looking out over the fjord?
(a) He is waiting for his son to return from war.
(b) He is waiting for the ships to come in.
(c) He is waiting for news of his mother.
(d) He is waiting for a doctor.
10. When Brand enters the fjord, why does the Mayor ask Brand for money?
(a) Because the town is in the middle of a long famine.
(b) Because the Mayor wants to build a new lodge.
(c) Because Brand looks wealthy.
(d) Because a hurricane has destroyed the town.
11. Where are Einar and Agnes going on their journey?
(a) To Einar's hometown.
(b) To the ocean.
(c) To Agnes' hometown.
(d) To the forest.
12. The play begins in what country?
13. What does the doctor compare Brand to when speaking to Brand about Alf.
(a) A sheep.
(b) A shipwrecked man.
(c) A snake.
(d) A prisioner.
14. What news does the doctor bring to Brand as he and Agnes are discussing the weaknesses of man?
(a) Gerd is dying and needs a priest.
(b) Brand's mother is dying.
(c) The drought is over and the townsfolk are meeting in the square.
(d) The mayor needs him for last rites for his son.
15. While contemplating staying, who does Brand say will be "born again" in the settlement?
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does Agnes tell Brand he has failed to keep regarding their life?
2. Despite the Mayor's argument, why does Brand deny the Mayor's request?
3. What does Brand claim helping the townsfolk monetarily would be?
4. While arguing with Brand about the settlement's faith, what does the Mayor say his congregation CAN shed?
5. Brand refuses to change his beliefs. What does Brand say to Agnes in reply to her questioning him?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)