|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Man call Brand when Brand says the mayor has been telling the truth?
(a) A dirty liar.
(b) A shameless scold.
(c) A savior.
(d) A demon.
2. Brand's mother sends news that she has offered half of her fortune to God. Brand still refuses to go see her. What is Brand's mother's second offering?
3. While contemplating staying, who does Brand say will be "born again" in the settlement?
4. While contemplating staying at the settlement, who finds Brand on the shore?
(a) The Mayor.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
5. What does the peasant's son fear they will encounter if they continue on their journey?
(a) Wild animals.
(b) The nobles of the area.
(c) Bad weather.
6. Agnes has a vision. What does she claim to have seen in this vision?
(a) Brand walking into the fjord and never returning.
(b) Brand becoming the town's priest.
(c) Brand becoming the town's Mayor.
(d) Brand leaving forever.
7. While talking about Alf the Brand, what does the doctor claim that Brand is running from?
(b) His mother's corpse and his flock of souls.
(c) The mayor and Gerd.
(d) The devil.
8. After the doctor leaves, Brand enters his house. What does he find has happened to Alf?
(a) Alf has burned himself on the stove.
(b) Alf has ran away.
(c) Alf is very ill.
(d) Alf is dead.
9. How does the valley look different from Brand's memories of it?
(a) He does not recognize the land at all.
(b) It looks smaller than he remembers.
(c) It looks larger than he remembers.
(d) It looks abandoned.
10. Where is the only place Gerd ever feels safe?
(a) At home.
(b) Running in the mountains.
(c) No where- she never feels safe.
(d) In church.
11. As Brand is waiting to hear about his mother's offering to God, what is Brand afraid God will ask of him?
(a) To marry Gerd.
(b) To leave Agnes, his one true love.
(c) To give up his son like Isaac.
(d) To give up the priesthood.
12. What does Brand claim made his life more bearable?
(a) His position as Mayor of the settlement.
(b) Gerd and the Ice Church.
(c) Agnes and Alf.
(d) His mother's love.
13. What is the one condition Brand's mother tells him regarding her fortune that is left to him?
(a) He must never be seen with Agnes again.
(b) He must not gamble with his life.
(c) He must marry Gerd.
(d) He must leave the settlement.
14. What is the peasant afraid will happen to Brand if he continues on the path he is following?
(a) He will fall through the ice.
(b) He will trip on the underbrush.
(c) He will die from pneumonia.
(d) He will be attacked by wild animals.
15. What promise does Agnes tell Brand he has failed to keep regarding their life?
(a) That she would become a noble of the land if she married him.
(b) They are poor and Brand said that they would be wealthly.
(c) Brand said he would leave her until his mother dies.
(d) He said their life would be one of woe and she is actually living a happy life.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Brand, who must one love first before they can love all mankind?
2. How does Brand think Einar see God?
3. Who does Gerd threaten when she leaves to go to church?
4. What does Brand tell the Mayor is his cause in life?
5. What is frozen in the ice near Gerd's church?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)