|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Elinar know Brand from?
(a) They are long-lost brothers reunited.
(b) From church.
(c) Their childhood school.
(d) From the orphanage.
2. While arguing with Brand about the settlement's faith, what does the Mayor say his congregation CAN shed?
3. Who does Gerd threaten when she leaves to go to church?
(b) The townsfolk.
(c) Brand's son.
(d) The hawk.
4. What does the peasant's son fear they will encounter if they continue on their journey?
(b) Wild animals.
(c) The nobles of the area.
(d) Bad weather.
5. What do readers find out Brand's mother did to his father while he lay on his deathbed?
(a) Poisoned him.
(b) Suffocated him with a pillow.
(c) Searched for his money.
(d) Nothing-she was never by his side.
6. Why can't Brand and the Woman go back the way she has come?
(a) Her husband is looking for her and has a gun.
(b) The bridge was destroyed by the storm.
(c) The river has flooded and cannot be crossed on foot.
(d) A pack of wild animals guards the pass.
7. After Brand helps the Woman's husband, some men from the settlement arrive. What have they brought with them?
(b) Weapons to kill him.
(c) A new boat.
(d) Scraps of food.
8. Gerd arrives just after the Man leaves. What is Gerd saying has happened?
(a) That the mayor has died.
(b) That she has seen Alf running away through the mountains.
(c) The preacher has left.
(d) That Brand's mother has died.
9. As the squall hits the fjord, what do the townsfolk threaten Brand with?
(a) Guns and torches.
(c) Throwing him into the storm.
(d) Stones and knives.
10. What does Gerd say her church is built out of?
(a) Rocks and mud.
(b) Trees and flowers.
(c) Branches and twine.
(d) Ice and snow.
11. Why does Brand refuse to go with the Doctor?
(a) Brand must stay with Alf.
(b) Brand does not like the doctor and will not go anywhere with him.
(c) Brand will not go unless he has been personally called for.
(d) Brand has to deliver communion.
12. What does Einar claim Brand has of his?
(a) His money.
(b) His cow.
(d) His son.
13. What does the Mayor warn Man Two not to do after discovering that his wife has died?
(a) Abandon his children.
(b) Start any trouble.
(c) Leave town.
(d) Marry again.
14. What does the Woman need who runs into the town as the squall hits?
(a) A priest.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A horse.
15. During Brand's conversation with the Mayor about his inheritance, what does Brand realize the Mayor is saying?
(a) The Mayor wants him to leave the settlement.
(b) The Mayor wants him to leave Agnes and marry his daughter.
(c) The Mayor wants to confiscate Brand's inheritance.
(d) The Mayor wants him to convince his mother to give all of her money to the town.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the discussion about the townsfolk, what does the Man say to Brand as he leaves?
2. Who does Brand see sitting on the shore as the Men leave to return to the settlement?
3. For what reason is Brand's mother fearful?
4. Agnes has a vision. What does she claim to have seen in this vision?
5. What does the Man call Brand when Brand says the mayor has been telling the truth?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)