|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Brand threaten to do with his inheritance?
(a) Buy the settlement and become the Mayor.
(b) Give it to his brother.
(c) Squander it on meaningless possessions.
(d) Throw it to the winds.
2. What does Brand call his childhood home?
(a) Widow's place.
(b) The Devil's palace.
(c) God's window.
(d) Brimstone manor.
3. What does the peasant's son fear they will encounter if they continue on their journey?
(b) The nobles of the area.
(c) Bad weather.
(d) Wild animals.
4. Brand accuses Agnes of being afraid. What does he believe she is scared of?
(a) Losing Brand due to illness.
(b) Losing thier son due to ilness.
(c) Losing the wealth promised by Brand's mother.
(d) Losing her sanity by living in the mountains.
5. What does Einar claim Brand has of his?
(a) His cow.
(c) His son.
(d) His money.
6. What does the Man claim Brand has shown the townsfolk?
(a) The Devil.
(c) Their sin.
7. As Brand finishes his soliloquy, what falls on the ground next to him?
(a) A scarf.
(b) A bible.
(c) A bird.
(d) A rock.
8. When Brand enters the fjord, why does the Mayor ask Brand for money?
(a) Because a hurricane has destroyed the town.
(b) Because the town is in the middle of a long famine.
(c) Because Brand looks wealthy.
(d) Because the Mayor wants to build a new lodge.
9. Agnes, holding Alf, is watching the conversation between Gerd and Brand. What does Gerd call Alf?
(a) A god.
(b) An idol.
(c) A demon.
(d) A lamb.
10. Where does Elinar know Brand from?
(a) They are long-lost brothers reunited.
(b) Their childhood school.
(c) From the orphanage.
(d) From church.
11. After Brand helps the Woman's husband, some men from the settlement arrive. What have they brought with them?
(a) Scraps of food.
(c) A new boat.
(d) Weapons to kill him.
12. Agnes has a vision. What does she claim to have seen in this vision?
(a) Brand becoming the town's priest.
(b) Brand becoming the town's Mayor.
(c) Brand walking into the fjord and never returning.
(d) Brand leaving forever.
13. When Brand addresses the men who have come to the Woman's house, where does he say the left eye turns toward?
(a) Away from danger.
14. Why does Brand refuse to help the peasant and his daughter?
(a) Because Brand claims the peasant has no soul.
(b) Because he does not know God.
(c) Because Brand's son refuses to let him help.
(d) Because he refuses to pay for Brand's services.
15. What does Brand claim made his life more bearable?
(a) His mother's love.
(b) His position as Mayor of the settlement.
(c) Gerd and the Ice Church.
(d) Agnes and Alf.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Brand, what does he tell the Mayor is "the greatest triumph?"
2. The play begins in what country?
3. What news does the doctor bring to Brand as he and Agnes are discussing the weaknesses of man?
4. Who does Brand claim sent Gerd to him?
5. While contemplating staying at the settlement, who finds Brand on the shore?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)