|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Act 3, what does Agnes offer up to God as an offering?
2. What do readers find out Brand's mother did to his father while he lay on his deathbed?
(a) Poisoned him.
(b) Searched for his money.
(c) Suffocated him with a pillow.
(d) Nothing-she was never by his side.
3. Brand's mother sends news that she has offered half of her fortune to God. Brand still refuses to go see her. What is Brand's mother's second offering?
4. As Brand is contemplating the doctor's prognosis, what does the doctor claim about Brand?
(a) That when personally troubled, All or Nothing does not matter.
(b) That he is the weakest man he has ever met.
(c) That even in the face of death, Brand complies to all others' needs.
(d) That when personally troubled, All or Nothing still matters.
5. What does the peasant's son fear they will encounter if they continue on their journey?
(a) Wild animals.
(b) The nobles of the area.
(d) Bad weather.
6. What does Brand claim his mother did in search of fortune?
(a) Put her soul up for sale.
(b) Brought prasie to God.
(c) Cheated on his father.
(d) Abandoned him at an orphanage.
7. How does the valley look different from Brand's memories of it?
(a) It looks smaller than he remembers.
(b) It looks abandoned.
(c) It looks larger than he remembers.
(d) He does not recognize the land at all.
8. In the opening act, who is with Brand?
(a) His wife and a maid.
(b) The schoolmaster and a clerk.
(c) No one- he is alone.
(d) A peasant and his son.
9. What does Gerd say her church is built out of?
(a) Rocks and mud.
(b) Branches and twine.
(c) Trees and flowers.
(d) Ice and snow.
10. Where are Einar and Agnes going on their journey?
(a) To Einar's hometown.
(b) To the ocean.
(c) To Agnes' hometown.
(d) To the forest.
11. Where does Brand ask Agnes to go after his mother leaves?
(a) To the mountains to elope.
(b) To the funeral he is to preside over.
(c) To cleanse their souls.
(d) To the settlement to prepare for his return.
12. What does Einar claim Brand has of his?
(a) His son.
(c) His cow.
(d) His money.
13. Why can't Brand and the Woman go back the way she has come?
(a) Her husband is looking for her and has a gun.
(b) The river has flooded and cannot be crossed on foot.
(c) A pack of wild animals guards the pass.
(d) The bridge was destroyed by the storm.
14. What does Gerd wish Brand to do in her church?
(a) Become a member of the congregation.
(b) Sabotage the worship service.
(c) Try to help her set it fire.
(d) Become the priest.
15. What is the peasant not willing to give up to ease his daughter's death?
(a) His home.
(b) HIs wealth.
(c) His land.
(d) His life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brand tell his mother she must do to repay her debt?
2. Brand refuses to change his beliefs. What does Brand say to Agnes in reply to her questioning him?
3. When Brand sees the valley for the first time, what does Brand realize about the land he has just entered?
4. What is the peasant afraid will happen to Brand if he continues on the path he is following?
5. Agnes, holding Alf, is watching the conversation between Gerd and Brand. What does Gerd call Alf?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)