|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Act 3, what does Brand ask Jesus for?
2. According to Brand, who must one love first before they can love all mankind?
(a) A child.
(d) One other person.
3. What does the doctor compare Brand to when speaking to Brand about Alf.
(a) A snake.
(b) A shipwrecked man.
(c) A sheep.
(d) A prisioner.
4. What does the Mayor warn Man Two not to do after discovering that his wife has died?
(a) Abandon his children.
(b) Start any trouble.
(c) Leave town.
(d) Marry again.
5. What does Brand offer the Mayor instead of money?
(a) His words.
(b) His help.
(c) A prayer.
(d) A cow.
6. What do readers find out Brand's mother did to his father while he lay on his deathbed?
(a) Poisoned him.
(b) Searched for his money.
(c) Nothing-she was never by his side.
(d) Suffocated him with a pillow.
7. What does Brand save Einar and Agnes from doing?
(a) Falling over a waterfall.
(b) Being robbed by gypsys.
(c) Falling off a cliff.
(d) Being attacked by a lion.
8. Who does Brand's mother wish to take the glare of blinding light away?
(d) The Devil.
9. Where are Einar and Agnes going on their journey?
(a) To the forest.
(b) To Agnes' hometown.
(c) To Einar's hometown.
(d) To the ocean.
10. In the opening act, who is with Brand?
(a) His wife and a maid.
(b) The schoolmaster and a clerk.
(c) No one- he is alone.
(d) A peasant and his son.
11. What does the peasant's son fear they will encounter if they continue on their journey?
(b) Wild animals.
(c) Bad weather.
(d) The nobles of the area.
12. Where does Brand decide to go at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) To the mountains.
(b) To the ice church.
(c) To the river.
(d) To the settlement.
13. How does the valley look different from Brand's memories of it?
(a) It looks smaller than he remembers.
(b) He does not recognize the land at all.
(c) It looks abandoned.
(d) It looks larger than he remembers.
14. Who goes with Brand out into the storm?
(a) The Mayor.
(c) The Woman.
15. What does Brand say will cause Gerd's church to fall?
(a) Squalls, shouting, and rifle shots.
(b) The earth trembling because of the choir singing.
(c) The sun and the moon.
(d) Nothing- the church will withstand everything.
Short Answer Questions
1. The play begins in what country?
2. What does Gerd say her church is built out of?
3. After the doctor leaves, Brand has another visitor. The Man tells Brand that he has an enemy. Who does the Man tell Brand the enemy is?
4. What is the peasant afraid will happen to Brand if he continues on the path he is following?
5. During Brand's conversation with the Mayor about his inheritance, what does Brand realize the Mayor is saying?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)