|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the beginning of Act Three, why is Brand anxiously looking out over the fjord?
(a) He is waiting for news of his mother.
(b) He is waiting for the ships to come in.
(c) He is waiting for his son to return from war.
(d) He is waiting for a doctor.
2. When Brand sees the valley for the first time, what does Brand realize about the land he has just entered?
(a) It is what he has seen in his dreams.
(b) He was forbidden to ever return to this land.
(c) It is his childhood homeland.
(d) He has never been here.
3. After informing Brand of his mother's death, what does the doctor tell Brand that their generation is concerned with?
(c) Rods of flame.
4. Where does Brand ask Agnes to go after his mother leaves?
(a) To cleanse their souls.
(b) To the settlement to prepare for his return.
(c) To the mountains to elope.
(d) To the funeral he is to preside over.
5. Who does Brand see sitting on the shore as the Men leave to return to the settlement?
(b) The Woman.
6. Brand refuses to change his beliefs. What does Brand say to Agnes in reply to her questioning him?
(a) "I know you won't deceive us."
(b) "Was I priest or father first?"
(c) "Don't think that I am blaming you."
(d) "You've got the call, see!"
7. What does Brand call his childhood home?
(a) The Devil's palace.
(b) God's window.
(c) Widow's place.
(d) Brimstone manor.
8. As Brand finishes his soliloquy, what falls on the ground next to him?
(a) A scarf.
(b) A bible.
(c) A rock.
(d) A bird.
9. What does Einar claim Brand has of his?
(a) His money.
(b) His cow.
(d) His son.
10. What is the one condition Brand's mother tells him regarding her fortune that is left to him?
(a) He must not gamble with his life.
(b) He must leave the settlement.
(c) He must never be seen with Agnes again.
(d) He must marry Gerd.
11. What does Brand save Einar and Agnes from doing?
(a) Being attacked by a lion.
(b) Falling over a waterfall.
(c) Being robbed by gypsys.
(d) Falling off a cliff.
12. At the end of Act 3, what does Brand ask Jesus for?
13. When Brand addresses the men who have come to the Woman's house, where does he say the left eye turns toward?
(d) Away from danger.
14. Upon Brand's mother's deathbed, what does she proclaim?
(a) "God's not hardhearted, like my son!"
(b) "Not only will God forgive me, my son will as well!"
(c) "My son will gain nothing from my death!"
(d) "I have given all that I am willing to give!"
15. Who goes with Brand out into the storm?
(c) The Mayor.
(d) The Woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Agnes believe "all earthly souls are doomed to fail?"
2. As Brand is contemplating the doctor's prognosis, what does the doctor claim about Brand?
3. Why does Brand refuse to help the peasant and his daughter?
4. Agnes has a vision. What does she claim to have seen in this vision?
5. Who is seen at the top off the cliffs as Brand leaves to cross the fjord?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)