|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise does Agnes tell Brand he has failed to keep regarding their life?
(a) They are poor and Brand said that they would be wealthly.
(b) Brand said he would leave her until his mother dies.
(c) That she would become a noble of the land if she married him.
(d) He said their life would be one of woe and she is actually living a happy life.
2. Who does Gerd threaten when she leaves to go to church?
(a) The townsfolk.
(c) Brand's son.
(d) The hawk.
3. As Brand is contemplating the doctor's prognosis, what does the doctor claim about Brand?
(a) That when personally troubled, All or Nothing still matters.
(b) That even in the face of death, Brand complies to all others' needs.
(c) That when personally troubled, All or Nothing does not matter.
(d) That he is the weakest man he has ever met.
4. What does Brand tell his mother she must do to repay her debt?
(a) Go to the bank and take out a loan.
(b) Give her tithes to the church.
(c) Nothing- she is too far gone.
(d) Give up everything she has.
5. Although the Man tells Brand that he has helped the people of the settlement, what does Brand claim is the problem with the people?
(a) They are blind.
(b) They do not really care.
(c) They are deaf.
(d) They are helpless.
6. Agnes, holding Alf, is watching the conversation between Gerd and Brand. What does Gerd call Alf?
(a) An idol.
(b) A god.
(c) A demon.
(d) A lamb.
7. Why does Brand refuse to help the peasant and his daughter?
(a) Because Brand claims the peasant has no soul.
(b) Because Brand's son refuses to let him help.
(c) Because he does not know God.
(d) Because he refuses to pay for Brand's services.
8. What does Brand call his childhood home?
(a) Widow's place.
(b) The Devil's palace.
(c) God's window.
(d) Brimstone manor.
9. How does Brand think Einar see God?
(a) As a young, strong man.
(b) As a cripple.
(c) As non-existant..Einar does not believe in God.
(d) As a child.
10. What does Brand claim helping the townsfolk monetarily would be?
(b) A sin.
(c) A miracle.
(d) A pleasure.
11. What does the Woman tell Brand her husband has done?
(a) Killed a neighbor.
(b) Gambled away their savings.
(c) Ran off with a neighbor girl.
(d) Killed their child.
12. What does the Woman need who runs into the town as the squall hits?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A horse.
(d) A priest.
13. Who does Brand's mother wish to take the glare of blinding light away?
(a) The Devil.
14. Who does Brand describe as "well-meaning, plump and debonair, both hands in pocket, quite sublimely like brackets in parenthesis?"
(b) The Mayor.
(d) The doctor.
15. Brand claims to know the enemy. Who does Brand believe the enemy to be?
(c) The Devil.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the valley look different from Brand's memories of it?
2. What is the peasant afraid will happen to Brand if he continues on the path he is following?
3. Where does Brand ask Agnes to go after his mother leaves?
4. After the doctor leaves, Brand has another visitor. The Man tells Brand that he has an enemy. Who does the Man tell Brand the enemy is?
5. What does the doctor compare Brand to when speaking to Brand about Alf.
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)