|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Brand's mother angry at and scared for Brand?
(a) Because he crossed the fjord during the storm.
(b) Because he forgot to pay for her food.
(c) Because he is with Agnes.
(d) Because he did not leave.
2. Who goes with Brand out into the storm?
(a) The Woman.
(c) The Mayor.
3. How does one of the men convince Brand to stay in the settlement?
(a) By blackmailing him.
(b) By using Brand's own belief: it is God's plan.
(c) By using Brand's own belief: give all or nothing.
(d) By promising Brand anything he wishes.
4. Why can't Brand and the Woman go back the way she has come?
(a) A pack of wild animals guards the pass.
(b) The bridge was destroyed by the storm.
(c) Her husband is looking for her and has a gun.
(d) The river has flooded and cannot be crossed on foot.
5. What is Gerd chasing when she meets Brand?
(a) A wolf.
(b) A butterfly.
(c) A dog.
(d) A hawk.
6. Who does Brand see sitting on the shore as the Men leave to return to the settlement?
(c) The Woman.
7. Agnes, holding Alf, is watching the conversation between Gerd and Brand. What does Gerd call Alf?
(a) An idol.
(b) A god.
(c) A demon.
(d) A lamb.
8. What is the peasant not willing to give up to ease his daughter's death?
(a) His home.
(b) His life.
(c) HIs wealth.
(d) His land.
9. What does Brand claim helping the townsfolk monetarily would be?
(b) A pleasure.
(c) A sin.
(d) A miracle.
10. During Brand's conversation with the Mayor about his inheritance, what does Brand realize the Mayor is saying?
(a) The Mayor wants to confiscate Brand's inheritance.
(b) The Mayor wants him to convince his mother to give all of her money to the town.
(c) The Mayor wants him to leave the settlement.
(d) The Mayor wants him to leave Agnes and marry his daughter.
11. What do readers find out Brand's mother did to his father while he lay on his deathbed?
(a) Nothing-she was never by his side.
(b) Searched for his money.
(c) Suffocated him with a pillow.
(d) Poisoned him.
12. What does Brand claim made his life more bearable?
(a) His mother's love.
(b) Gerd and the Ice Church.
(c) Agnes and Alf.
(d) His position as Mayor of the settlement.
13. How does Brand think Einar see God?
(a) As a child.
(b) As non-existant..Einar does not believe in God.
(c) As a cripple.
(d) As a young, strong man.
14. What does Brand tell his mother she must do to repay her debt?
(a) Give up everything she has.
(b) Give her tithes to the church.
(c) Nothing- she is too far gone.
(d) Go to the bank and take out a loan.
15. While talking about Alf the Brand, what does the doctor claim that Brand is running from?
(b) His mother's corpse and his flock of souls.
(c) The devil.
(d) The mayor and Gerd.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Elinar know Brand from?
2. What does the doctor compare Brand to when speaking to Brand about Alf.
3. When Brand enters the fjord, why does the Mayor ask Brand for money?
4. What does Brand save Einar and Agnes from doing?
5. What promise does Agnes tell Brand he has failed to keep regarding their life?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)