|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the doctor leaves, Brand has another visitor. The Man tells Brand that he has an enemy. Who does the Man tell Brand the enemy is?
(a) The man.
(c) The mayor.
2. While contemplating staying, who does Brand say will be "born again" in the settlement?
3. What does Gerd say her church is built out of?
(a) Rocks and mud.
(b) Ice and snow.
(c) Branches and twine.
(d) Trees and flowers.
4. At the Woman's house, what have the men come to ask of Brand?
(a) To be their priest.
(b) To be their Mayor.
(c) To be the prision guard.
(d) To be their farmer.
5. Brand refuses to change his beliefs. What does Brand say to Agnes in reply to her questioning him?
(a) "I know you won't deceive us."
(b) "Don't think that I am blaming you."
(c) "You've got the call, see!"
(d) "Was I priest or father first?"
6. What does Brand offer the Mayor instead of money?
(a) His words.
(b) His help.
(c) A cow.
(d) A prayer.
7. Where does Brand decide to go at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) To the ice church.
(b) To the settlement.
(c) To the river.
(d) To the mountains.
8. Who is seen at the top off the cliffs as Brand leaves to cross the fjord?
(c) The Woman's husband.
9. Where is the only place Gerd ever feels safe?
(a) Running in the mountains.
(b) In church.
(c) No where- she never feels safe.
(d) At home.
10. How does one of the men convince Brand to stay in the settlement?
(a) By blackmailing him.
(b) By promising Brand anything he wishes.
(c) By using Brand's own belief: it is God's plan.
(d) By using Brand's own belief: give all or nothing.
11. Who goes with Brand out into the storm?
(b) The Mayor.
(c) The Woman.
12. Brand accuses Agnes of being afraid. What does he believe she is scared of?
(a) Losing thier son due to ilness.
(b) Losing her sanity by living in the mountains.
(c) Losing Brand due to illness.
(d) Losing the wealth promised by Brand's mother.
13. What does the doctor compare Brand to when speaking to Brand about Alf.
(a) A snake.
(b) A shipwrecked man.
(c) A sheep.
(d) A prisioner.
14. How does Brand think Einar see God?
(a) As non-existant..Einar does not believe in God.
(b) As a cripple.
(c) As a child.
(d) As a young, strong man.
15. Gerd arrives just after the Man leaves. What is Gerd saying has happened?
(a) That Brand's mother has died.
(b) That she has seen Alf running away through the mountains.
(c) The preacher has left.
(d) That the mayor has died.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon Brand's arrival to the valley, where are all of the town's folk going to?
2. What does Einar claim Brand has of his?
3. Who does Brand describe as "well-meaning, plump and debonair, both hands in pocket, quite sublimely like brackets in parenthesis?"
4. At the opening of Act 2, Scene One, what is the mayor handing out to the townsfolk?
5. Upon Brand's mother's deathbed, what does she proclaim?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)