|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon Brand's mother's deathbed, what does she proclaim?
(a) "I have given all that I am willing to give!"
(b) "Not only will God forgive me, my son will as well!"
(c) "God's not hardhearted, like my son!"
(d) "My son will gain nothing from my death!"
2. What does Brand save Einar and Agnes from doing?
(a) Falling off a cliff.
(b) Being robbed by gypsys.
(c) Being attacked by a lion.
(d) Falling over a waterfall.
3. As the men return to the settlement, Brand comments on their appearance. What does he say they have been driven out of?
(b) The fjord.
4. Who does Brand claim sent Gerd to him?
(a) The mayor.
(b) The doctor.
(c) The Man.
5. When Brand addresses the men who have come to the Woman's house, where does he say the left eye turns toward?
(d) Away from danger.
6. When Brand addresses the men who have come to the Woman's house, where does he say the right eye turns toward?
(d) Away from danger.
7. In the beginning of Act Three, why is Brand anxiously looking out over the fjord?
(a) He is waiting for news of his mother.
(b) He is waiting for his son to return from war.
(c) He is waiting for a doctor.
(d) He is waiting for the ships to come in.
8. What does Gerd wish Brand to do in her church?
(a) Sabotage the worship service.
(b) Try to help her set it fire.
(c) Become the priest.
(d) Become a member of the congregation.
9. While arguing with Brand about the settlement's faith, what does the Mayor say his congregation CAN shed?
10. Why is Brand's mother angry at and scared for Brand?
(a) Because he did not leave.
(b) Because he is with Agnes.
(c) Because he crossed the fjord during the storm.
(d) Because he forgot to pay for her food.
11. What does Brand call his childhood home?
(a) Widow's place.
(b) The Devil's palace.
(c) Brimstone manor.
(d) God's window.
12. Why does Brand refuse to go with the Doctor?
(a) Brand has to deliver communion.
(b) Brand does not like the doctor and will not go anywhere with him.
(c) Brand must stay with Alf.
(d) Brand will not go unless he has been personally called for.
13. After the discussion about the townsfolk, what does the Man say to Brand as he leaves?
(a) "I know you won't deceive us,"
(b) "You've got the call, see!"
(c) "That here was where you'd wage your war."
(d) "My priest won't drop his God, and me."
14. Who does Gerd threaten when she leaves to go to church?
(a) The townsfolk.
(c) The hawk.
(d) Brand's son.
15. After the doctor leaves, Brand enters his house. What does he find has happened to Alf?
(a) Alf has ran away.
(b) Alf is very ill.
(c) Alf has burned himself on the stove.
(d) Alf is dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gerd say her church is built out of?
2. Where does Brand decide to go at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
3. Upon Brand's arrival to the valley, where are all of the town's folk going to?
4. How does one of the men convince Brand to stay in the settlement?
5. Despite the Mayor's argument, why does Brand deny the Mayor's request?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)