|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Agnes has a vision. What does she claim to have seen in this vision?
(a) Brand walking into the fjord and never returning.
(b) Brand leaving forever.
(c) Brand becoming the town's priest.
(d) Brand becoming the town's Mayor.
2. Where does Brand ask Agnes to go after his mother leaves?
(a) To the funeral he is to preside over.
(b) To the settlement to prepare for his return.
(c) To the mountains to elope.
(d) To cleanse their souls.
3. What does Einar compare Agnes to?
(a) A butterfly.
(b) A bird.
(c) A snake.
(d) A lion.
4. What does the doctor compare Brand to when speaking to Brand about Alf.
(a) A shipwrecked man.
(b) A sheep.
(c) A snake.
(d) A prisioner.
5. Who does Brand's mother wish to take the glare of blinding light away?
(c) The Devil.
6. Who is seen at the top off the cliffs as Brand leaves to cross the fjord?
(a) The Woman's husband.
7. While arguing with Brand about the settlement's faith, what does the Mayor say his congregation CAN shed?
8. As the men return to the settlement, Brand comments on their appearance. What does he say they have been driven out of?
(b) The fjord.
9. What does the Woman tell Brand her husband has done?
(a) Killed their child.
(b) Ran off with a neighbor girl.
(c) Gambled away their savings.
(d) Killed a neighbor.
10. As the squall hits the fjord, what do the townsfolk threaten Brand with?
(a) Guns and torches.
(b) Stones and knives.
(c) Throwing him into the storm.
11. After the doctor leaves, Brand enters his house. What does he find has happened to Alf?
(a) Alf is dead.
(b) Alf has burned himself on the stove.
(c) Alf is very ill.
(d) Alf has ran away.
12. Act Three begins how many years after Act Two?
13. As Brand finishes his soliloquy, what falls on the ground next to him?
(a) A bird.
(b) A rock.
(c) A scarf.
(d) A bible.
14. When Brand addresses the men who have come to the Woman's house, where does he say the left eye turns toward?
(d) Away from danger.
15. After the discussion about the townsfolk, what does the Man say to Brand as he leaves?
(a) "I know you won't deceive us,"
(b) "My priest won't drop his God, and me."
(c) "That here was where you'd wage your war."
(d) "You've got the call, see!"
Short Answer Questions
1. As Brand is contemplating the doctor's prognosis, what does the doctor claim about Brand?
2. As Brand is waiting to hear about his mother's offering to God, what is Brand afraid God will ask of him?
3. In the opening act, who is with Brand?
4. While contemplating staying at the settlement, who finds Brand on the shore?
5. What news does the doctor bring to Brand as he and Agnes are discussing the weaknesses of man?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)