|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Brand save Einar and Agnes from doing?
(a) Falling over a waterfall.
(b) Being attacked by a lion.
(c) Being robbed by gypsys.
(d) Falling off a cliff.
2. What does the Man claim Brand has shown the townsfolk?
(a) Their sin.
(c) The Devil.
3. What do the men say happened to the person who previously held the position for which they seek Brand?
(a) He died because of the famine.
(b) He was captured by the nobels of the land.
(c) He left because they could not pay him enough.
(d) He drowned in a squall crossing the fjord.
4. What does Brand tell the Mayor is his cause in life?
(a) To "cleanse the people's rampant sin."
(b) To "fight until it fill my home with light!"
(c) To insure he has "incited the flock."
(d) To "make a holy-day of labour's six."
5. What is the one condition Brand's mother tells him regarding her fortune that is left to him?
(a) He must marry Gerd.
(b) He must leave the settlement.
(c) He must never be seen with Agnes again.
(d) He must not gamble with his life.
6. Upon Brand's mother's deathbed, what does she proclaim?
(a) "God's not hardhearted, like my son!"
(b) "My son will gain nothing from my death!"
(c) "I have given all that I am willing to give!"
(d) "Not only will God forgive me, my son will as well!"
7. The play begins in what country?
8. Why does the woman refuse to go with Brand across the fjord?
(a) She is afraid of dying and her children need their mother.
(b) There is no one to go home to.
(c) She is afraid that her husband will kill her.
(d) Because she does not know him.
9. Brand accuses Agnes of being afraid. What does he believe she is scared of?
(a) Losing Brand due to illness.
(b) Losing the wealth promised by Brand's mother.
(c) Losing thier son due to ilness.
(d) Losing her sanity by living in the mountains.
10. What is Gerd chasing when she meets Brand?
(a) A butterfly.
(b) A wolf.
(c) A dog.
(d) A hawk.
11. What does Brand say will cause Gerd's church to fall?
(a) The earth trembling because of the choir singing.
(b) The sun and the moon.
(c) Nothing- the church will withstand everything.
(d) Squalls, shouting, and rifle shots.
12. When Brand sees the valley for the first time, what does Brand realize about the land he has just entered?
(a) He has never been here.
(b) He was forbidden to ever return to this land.
(c) It is what he has seen in his dreams.
(d) It is his childhood homeland.
13. What is the peasant afraid will happen to Brand if he continues on the path he is following?
(a) He will trip on the underbrush.
(b) He will fall through the ice.
(c) He will die from pneumonia.
(d) He will be attacked by wild animals.
14. For what reason is Brand's mother fearful?
(a) Because he could have died crossing the fjord and is the only family member she has left.
(b) Because she will be imprisoned since he returned to the settlement.
(c) Because Agnes looks poor and she wishes more for her son.
(d) Because she will starve since he forgot to pay for her food.
15. Where does Brand decide to go at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) To the ice church.
(b) To the mountains.
(c) To the settlement.
(d) To the river.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brand call his childhood home?
2. While talking about Alf the Brand, what does the doctor claim that Brand is running from?
3. During Brand's conversation with the Mayor about his inheritance, what does Brand realize the Mayor is saying?
4. What does Brand tell his mother she must do to repay her debt?
5. After Brand helps the Woman's husband, some men from the settlement arrive. What have they brought with them?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)