|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After informing Brand of his mother's death, what does the doctor tell Brand that their generation is concerned with?
(d) Rods of flame.
2. Agnes, holding Alf, is watching the conversation between Gerd and Brand. What does Gerd call Alf?
(a) A demon.
(b) A god.
(c) A lamb.
(d) An idol.
3. While arguing with Brand about the settlement's faith, what does the Mayor say his congregation CAN shed?
4. What does the Man call Brand when Brand says the mayor has been telling the truth?
(a) A savior.
(b) A demon.
(c) A dirty liar.
(d) A shameless scold.
5. What is Gerd chasing when she meets Brand?
(a) A dog.
(b) A wolf.
(c) A butterfly.
(d) A hawk.
6. What is the peasant not willing to give up to ease his daughter's death?
(a) His land.
(b) His life.
(c) His home.
(d) HIs wealth.
7. What do readers find out Brand's mother did to his father while he lay on his deathbed?
(a) Poisoned him.
(b) Suffocated him with a pillow.
(c) Searched for his money.
(d) Nothing-she was never by his side.
8. At the end of Act 3, what does Brand ask Jesus for?
9. Why does Brand refuse to go with the Doctor?
(a) Brand does not like the doctor and will not go anywhere with him.
(b) Brand will not go unless he has been personally called for.
(c) Brand must stay with Alf.
(d) Brand has to deliver communion.
10. For what reason is Brand's mother fearful?
(a) Because Agnes looks poor and she wishes more for her son.
(b) Because she will be imprisoned since he returned to the settlement.
(c) Because he could have died crossing the fjord and is the only family member she has left.
(d) Because she will starve since he forgot to pay for her food.
11. While talking about Alf the Brand, what does the doctor claim that Brand is running from?
(b) His mother's corpse and his flock of souls.
(c) The mayor and Gerd.
(d) The devil.
12. Where does Brand decide to go at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) To the ice church.
(b) To the mountains.
(c) To the settlement.
(d) To the river.
13. Why does Brand refuse to help the peasant and his daughter?
(a) Because he does not know God.
(b) Because Brand's son refuses to let him help.
(c) Because Brand claims the peasant has no soul.
(d) Because he refuses to pay for Brand's services.
14. What does Brand claim helping the townsfolk monetarily would be?
(a) A sin.
(c) A miracle.
(d) A pleasure.
15. What does Brand threaten to do with his inheritance?
(a) Give it to his brother.
(b) Buy the settlement and become the Mayor.
(c) Squander it on meaningless possessions.
(d) Throw it to the winds.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Brand sees the valley for the first time, what does Brand realize about the land he has just entered?
2. What is frozen in the ice near Gerd's church?
3. As Brand is contemplating the doctor's prognosis, what does the doctor claim about Brand?
4. What does the peasant's son fear they will encounter if they continue on their journey?
5. What does Brand tell his mother she must do to repay her debt?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)