|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Brand describe as "well-meaning, plump and debonair, both hands in pocket, quite sublimely like brackets in parenthesis?"
(a) The doctor.
(c) The Mayor.
2. What does Brand tell the Mayor is his cause in life?
(a) To "cleanse the people's rampant sin."
(b) To insure he has "incited the flock."
(c) To "make a holy-day of labour's six."
(d) To "fight until it fill my home with light!"
3. Brand's mother sends news that she has offered half of her fortune to God. Brand still refuses to go see her. What is Brand's mother's second offering?
4. Upon Brand's arrival to the valley, where are all of the town's folk going to?
(a) To the fields.
(b) To the cemetery.
(c) To the town hall.
(d) To church.
5. Where does Brand ask Agnes to go after his mother leaves?
(a) To cleanse their souls.
(b) To the settlement to prepare for his return.
(c) To the funeral he is to preside over.
(d) To the mountains to elope.
6. What does Brand offer the Mayor instead of money?
(a) His words.
(b) A cow.
(c) His help.
(d) A prayer.
7. After informing Brand of his mother's death, what does the doctor tell Brand that their generation is concerned with?
(b) Rods of flame.
8. What does the doctor say Brand and Agnes must do to save Alf?
(a) Go to see the voodoo healer in the next village.
(b) Perform a blood transfusion, something Brand refuses because of his religion.
(c) Nothing, There is nothing that can save Alf.
(d) Leave his home and find somewhere sunnier and warmer.
9. Gerd arrives just after the Man leaves. What is Gerd saying has happened?
(a) That the mayor has died.
(b) That Brand's mother has died.
(c) The preacher has left.
(d) That she has seen Alf running away through the mountains.
10. Who does Gerd threaten when she leaves to go to church?
(a) Brand's son.
(b) The townsfolk.
(d) The hawk.
11. Who does Brand's mother wish to take the glare of blinding light away?
(c) The Devil.
12. Despite the Mayor's argument, why does Brand deny the Mayor's request?
(a) Brand claims: "A man can't choose his calling's sphere."
(b) Brand claims he is "at war with Nature's stubbornness."
(c) Brand claims: "it's thanks to me the population has made a two, nigh three-fold rise."
(d) Brand claims to still need to "bring some order and cleanse the people's rampant sin."
13. How does Brand think Einar see God?
(a) As a young, strong man.
(b) As a cripple.
(c) As non-existant..Einar does not believe in God.
(d) As a child.
14. At the end of Act 3, what does Agnes offer up to God as an offering?
15. Why does Brand refuse to go with the Doctor?
(a) Brand has to deliver communion.
(b) Brand does not like the doctor and will not go anywhere with him.
(c) Brand will not go unless he has been personally called for.
(d) Brand must stay with Alf.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although the Man tells Brand that he has helped the people of the settlement, what does Brand claim is the problem with the people?
2. When Brand enters the fjord, why does the Mayor ask Brand for money?
3. When Brand sees the valley for the first time, what does Brand realize about the land he has just entered?
4. When Brand addresses the men who have come to the Woman's house, where does he say the left eye turns toward?
5. What is Gerd chasing when she meets Brand?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)