|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do readers find out Brand's mother did to his father while he lay on his deathbed?
(a) Searched for his money.
(b) Nothing-she was never by his side.
(c) Poisoned him.
(d) Suffocated him with a pillow.
2. For what reason is Brand's mother fearful?
(a) Because he could have died crossing the fjord and is the only family member she has left.
(b) Because she will be imprisoned since he returned to the settlement.
(c) Because she will starve since he forgot to pay for her food.
(d) Because Agnes looks poor and she wishes more for her son.
3. What does the Woman need who runs into the town as the squall hits?
(a) A priest.
(b) A horse.
(d) A doctor.
4. As Brand finishes his soliloquy, what falls on the ground next to him?
(a) A bird.
(b) A scarf.
(c) A rock.
(d) A bible.
5. During Brand's conversation with the Mayor about his inheritance, what does Brand realize the Mayor is saying?
(a) The Mayor wants him to convince his mother to give all of her money to the town.
(b) The Mayor wants him to leave Agnes and marry his daughter.
(c) The Mayor wants him to leave the settlement.
(d) The Mayor wants to confiscate Brand's inheritance.
6. As the squall hits the fjord, what do the townsfolk threaten Brand with?
(a) Stones and knives.
(b) Guns and torches.
(d) Throwing him into the storm.
7. What is the peasant afraid will happen to Brand if he continues on the path he is following?
(a) He will trip on the underbrush.
(b) He will fall through the ice.
(c) He will die from pneumonia.
(d) He will be attacked by wild animals.
8. What does the Man call Brand when Brand says the mayor has been telling the truth?
(a) A dirty liar.
(b) A shameless scold.
(c) A savior.
(d) A demon.
9. What does Brand tell his mother she must do to repay her debt?
(a) Give her tithes to the church.
(b) Give up everything she has.
(c) Go to the bank and take out a loan.
(d) Nothing- she is too far gone.
10. How does Brand think Einar see God?
(a) As a young, strong man.
(b) As a child.
(c) As a cripple.
(d) As non-existant..Einar does not believe in God.
11. The play begins in what country?
12. Who does Gerd threaten when she leaves to go to church?
(b) The townsfolk.
(c) Brand's son.
(d) The hawk.
13. Why does Brand refuse to go with the Doctor?
(a) Brand has to deliver communion.
(b) Brand must stay with Alf.
(c) Brand does not like the doctor and will not go anywhere with him.
(d) Brand will not go unless he has been personally called for.
14. What does Gerd wish Brand to do in her church?
(a) Sabotage the worship service.
(b) Become the priest.
(c) Try to help her set it fire.
(d) Become a member of the congregation.
15. Why does Agnes believe "all earthly souls are doomed to fail?"
(a) Because everyone is full of sin.
(b) Because no man is willing to give "Nothing."
(c) Because God asks too much of them.
(d) Because no man is willing to give "All."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gerd chasing when she meets Brand?
2. As the men return to the settlement, Brand comments on their appearance. What does he say they have been driven out of?
3. What does Agnes choose to do at the end of Act 2?
4. Where does Brand decide to go at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
5. Who does Brand claim sent Gerd to him?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)