|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the doctor leaves, Brand has another visitor. The Man tells Brand that he has an enemy. Who does the Man tell Brand the enemy is?
(b) The mayor.
(d) The man.
2. Who does Brand see sitting on the shore as the Men leave to return to the settlement?
(d) The Woman.
3. Upon Brand's mother's deathbed, what does she proclaim?
(a) "My son will gain nothing from my death!"
(b) "I have given all that I am willing to give!"
(c) "God's not hardhearted, like my son!"
(d) "Not only will God forgive me, my son will as well!"
4. While contemplating staying at the settlement, who finds Brand on the shore?
(a) The Mayor.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
5. When Brand addresses the men who have come to the Woman's house, where does he say the left eye turns toward?
(c) Away from danger.
6. What does Agnes choose to do at the end of Act 2?
(a) Stay with Brand's mother.
(b) Stay with Brand.
(c) Stay with Gerd.
(d) Stay with Einar.
7. Agnes has a vision. What does she claim to have seen in this vision?
(a) Brand leaving forever.
(b) Brand becoming the town's Mayor.
(c) Brand becoming the town's priest.
(d) Brand walking into the fjord and never returning.
8. What does the Mayor warn Man Two not to do after discovering that his wife has died?
(a) Marry again.
(b) Start any trouble.
(c) Leave town.
(d) Abandon his children.
9. Where does Brand decide to go at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) To the ice church.
(b) To the mountains.
(c) To the river.
(d) To the settlement.
10. At the Woman's house, what have the men come to ask of Brand?
(a) To be their Mayor.
(b) To be the prision guard.
(c) To be their farmer.
(d) To be their priest.
11. Who does Brand claim sent Gerd to him?
(a) The doctor.
(c) The mayor.
(d) The Man.
12. Why does Brand refuse to help the peasant and his daughter?
(a) Because he does not know God.
(b) Because Brand claims the peasant has no soul.
(c) Because he refuses to pay for Brand's services.
(d) Because Brand's son refuses to let him help.
13. What does Brand save Einar and Agnes from doing?
(a) Falling over a waterfall.
(b) Falling off a cliff.
(c) Being robbed by gypsys.
(d) Being attacked by a lion.
14. What does Brand offer the Mayor instead of money?
(a) His help.
(b) His words.
(c) A cow.
(d) A prayer.
15. Why is Brand's mother angry at and scared for Brand?
(a) Because he forgot to pay for her food.
(b) Because he did not leave.
(c) Because he crossed the fjord during the storm.
(d) Because he is with Agnes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Brand ask Agnes to go after his mother leaves?
2. When Brand addresses the men who have come to the Woman's house, where does he say the right eye turns toward?
3. What does Brand claim his mother did in search of fortune?
4. Despite the Mayor's argument, why does Brand deny the Mayor's request?
5. Who does Gerd threaten when she leaves to go to church?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)