|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Einar claim Brand has of his?
(a) His money.
(b) His son.
(d) His cow.
2. Who does Brand describe as "well-meaning, plump and debonair, both hands in pocket, quite sublimely like brackets in parenthesis?"
(a) The doctor.
(d) The Mayor.
3. According to Brand, who must one love first before they can love all mankind?
(a) A child.
(b) One other person.
4. Who does Brand see sitting on the shore as the Men leave to return to the settlement?
(b) The Woman.
5. At the opening of Act 2, Scene One, what is the mayor handing out to the townsfolk?
6. Where does Elinar know Brand from?
(a) Their childhood school.
(b) They are long-lost brothers reunited.
(c) From church.
(d) From the orphanage.
7. Why does Brand refuse to go with the Doctor?
(a) Brand will not go unless he has been personally called for.
(b) Brand does not like the doctor and will not go anywhere with him.
(c) Brand must stay with Alf.
(d) Brand has to deliver communion.
8. What does Gerd say her church is built out of?
(a) Branches and twine.
(b) Rocks and mud.
(c) Ice and snow.
(d) Trees and flowers.
9. Upon Brand's mother's deathbed, what does she proclaim?
(a) "I have given all that I am willing to give!"
(b) "Not only will God forgive me, my son will as well!"
(c) "God's not hardhearted, like my son!"
(d) "My son will gain nothing from my death!"
10. Why does Agnes believe "all earthly souls are doomed to fail?"
(a) Because no man is willing to give "Nothing."
(b) Because God asks too much of them.
(c) Because no man is willing to give "All."
(d) Because everyone is full of sin.
11. Brand claims to know the enemy. Who does Brand believe the enemy to be?
(a) The Devil.
12. What does Brand save Einar and Agnes from doing?
(a) Being attacked by a lion.
(b) Falling off a cliff.
(c) Falling over a waterfall.
(d) Being robbed by gypsys.
13. Who does Brand claim sent Gerd to him?
(a) The Man.
(c) The doctor.
(d) The mayor.
14. What does the Woman tell Brand her husband has done?
(a) Gambled away their savings.
(b) Killed a neighbor.
(c) Ran off with a neighbor girl.
(d) Killed their child.
15. Why does the woman refuse to go with Brand across the fjord?
(a) There is no one to go home to.
(b) She is afraid that her husband will kill her.
(c) Because she does not know him.
(d) She is afraid of dying and her children need their mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Man call Brand when Brand says the mayor has been telling the truth?
2. Gerd arrives just after the Man leaves. What is Gerd saying has happened?
3. Why is Brand's mother angry at and scared for Brand?
4. Agnes has a vision. What does she claim to have seen in this vision?
5. While talking about Alf the Brand, what does the doctor claim that Brand is running from?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)