Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the peasant not willing to give up to ease his daughter's death?
(a) HIs wealth.
(b) His life.
(c) His home.
(d) His land.
2. What is the peasant afraid will happen to Brand if he continues on the path he is following?
(a) He will trip on the underbrush.
(b) He will fall through the ice.
(c) He will be attacked by wild animals.
(d) He will die from pneumonia.
3. What does the peasant's son fear they will encounter if they continue on their journey?
(a) The nobles of the area.
(b) Wild animals.
(c) Bad weather.
4. What does Brand save Einar and Agnes from doing?
(a) Being attacked by a lion.
(b) Falling off a cliff.
(c) Falling over a waterfall.
(d) Being robbed by gypsys.
5. Why can't Brand and the Woman go back the way she has come?
(a) Her husband is looking for her and has a gun.
(b) The river has flooded and cannot be crossed on foot.
(c) A pack of wild animals guards the pass.
(d) The bridge was destroyed by the storm.
6. What does Gerd say her church is built out of?
(a) Rocks and mud.
(b) Ice and snow.
(c) Branches and twine.
(d) Trees and flowers.
7. How does one of the men convince Brand to stay in the settlement?
(a) By using Brand's own belief: it is God's plan.
(b) By using Brand's own belief: give all or nothing.
(c) By blackmailing him.
(d) By promising Brand anything he wishes.
8. What do readers find out Brand's mother did to his father while he lay on his deathbed?
(a) Nothing-she was never by his side.
(b) Searched for his money.
(c) Poisoned him.
(d) Suffocated him with a pillow.
9. Why does the woman refuse to go with Brand across the fjord?
(a) She is afraid that her husband will kill her.
(b) There is no one to go home to.
(c) Because she does not know him.
(d) She is afraid of dying and her children need their mother.
10. As Brand is waiting to hear about his mother's offering to God, what is Brand afraid God will ask of him?
(a) To give up his son like Isaac.
(b) To marry Gerd.
(c) To leave Agnes, his one true love.
(d) To give up the priesthood.
11. What do the men say happened to the person who previously held the position for which they seek Brand?
(a) He drowned in a squall crossing the fjord.
(b) He was captured by the nobels of the land.
(c) He left because they could not pay him enough.
(d) He died because of the famine.
12. At the opening of Act 2, Scene One, what is the mayor handing out to the townsfolk?
13. Brand's mother sends news that she has offered half of her fortune to God. Brand still refuses to go see her. What is Brand's mother's second offering?
14. While contemplating staying at the settlement, who finds Brand on the shore?
(a) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) The Mayor.
15. Who does Gerd threaten when she leaves to go to church?
(a) The townsfolk.
(b) Brand's son.
(c) The hawk.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Act 3, what does Agnes offer up to God as an offering?
2. What does Agnes choose to do at the end of Act 2?
3. As the squall hits the fjord, what do the townsfolk threaten Brand with?
4. After the doctor leaves, Brand has another visitor. The Man tells Brand that he has an enemy. Who does the Man tell Brand the enemy is?
5. The play begins in what country?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)