|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Brand tell the Mayor is his cause in life?
(a) To "fight until it fill my home with light!"
(b) To "make a holy-day of labour's six."
(c) To insure he has "incited the flock."
(d) To "cleanse the people's rampant sin."
2. What does Einar claim Brand has of his?
(b) His son.
(c) His money.
(d) His cow.
3. Where does Brand decide to go at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) To the mountains.
(b) To the river.
(c) To the ice church.
(d) To the settlement.
4. What does Brand claim helping the townsfolk monetarily would be?
(b) A miracle.
(c) A pleasure.
(d) A sin.
5. According to Brand, who must one love first before they can love all mankind?
(b) One other person.
(c) A child.
6. According to Brand, what does he tell the Mayor is "the greatest triumph?"
(b) The second coming.
7. Where is the only place Gerd ever feels safe?
(a) Running in the mountains.
(b) At home.
(c) In church.
(d) No where- she never feels safe.
8. While arguing with Brand about the settlement's faith, what does the Mayor say his congregation CAN shed?
9. What does the peasant's son fear they will encounter if they continue on their journey?
(a) Bad weather.
(b) Wild animals.
(c) The nobles of the area.
10. As Brand is waiting to hear about his mother's offering to God, what is Brand afraid God will ask of him?
(a) To leave Agnes, his one true love.
(b) To give up his son like Isaac.
(c) To give up the priesthood.
(d) To marry Gerd.
11. When Brand addresses the men who have come to the Woman's house, where does he say the left eye turns toward?
(c) Away from danger.
12. Gerd arrives just after the Man leaves. What is Gerd saying has happened?
(a) That the mayor has died.
(b) The preacher has left.
(c) That Brand's mother has died.
(d) That she has seen Alf running away through the mountains.
13. After the doctor leaves, Brand has another visitor. The Man tells Brand that he has an enemy. Who does the Man tell Brand the enemy is?
(c) The mayor.
(d) The man.
14. What does the Woman need who runs into the town as the squall hits?
(a) A priest.
(c) A horse.
(d) A doctor.
15. Why does Brand refuse to help the peasant and his daughter?
(a) Because he refuses to pay for Brand's services.
(b) Because Brand claims the peasant has no soul.
(c) Because Brand's son refuses to let him help.
(d) Because he does not know God.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gerd chasing when she meets Brand?
2. What is frozen in the ice near Gerd's church?
3. What news does the doctor bring to Brand as he and Agnes are discussing the weaknesses of man?
4. What does Agnes choose to do at the end of Act 2?
5. What does Brand offer the Mayor instead of money?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)