|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Brand tell the Mayor is his cause in life?
(a) To "make a holy-day of labour's six."
(b) To "cleanse the people's rampant sin."
(c) To insure he has "incited the flock."
(d) To "fight until it fill my home with light!"
2. How does Brand think Einar see God?
(a) As non-existant..Einar does not believe in God.
(b) As a child.
(c) As a young, strong man.
(d) As a cripple.
3. As Brand is contemplating the doctor's prognosis, what does the doctor claim about Brand?
(a) That when personally troubled, All or Nothing does not matter.
(b) That even in the face of death, Brand complies to all others' needs.
(c) That he is the weakest man he has ever met.
(d) That when personally troubled, All or Nothing still matters.
4. What do readers find out Brand's mother did to his father while he lay on his deathbed?
(a) Poisoned him.
(b) Suffocated him with a pillow.
(c) Searched for his money.
(d) Nothing-she was never by his side.
5. What does the Woman tell Brand her husband has done?
(a) Ran off with a neighbor girl.
(b) Gambled away their savings.
(c) Killed a neighbor.
(d) Killed their child.
6. Who is seen at the top off the cliffs as Brand leaves to cross the fjord?
(d) The Woman's husband.
7. What is Gerd chasing when she meets Brand?
(a) A dog.
(b) A hawk.
(c) A wolf.
(d) A butterfly.
8. What does the doctor compare Brand to when speaking to Brand about Alf.
(a) A prisioner.
(b) A shipwrecked man.
(c) A sheep.
(d) A snake.
9. What does the doctor say Brand and Agnes must do to save Alf?
(a) Nothing, There is nothing that can save Alf.
(b) Leave his home and find somewhere sunnier and warmer.
(c) Go to see the voodoo healer in the next village.
(d) Perform a blood transfusion, something Brand refuses because of his religion.
10. What does Brand say will cause Gerd's church to fall?
(a) The sun and the moon.
(b) Squalls, shouting, and rifle shots.
(c) The earth trembling because of the choir singing.
(d) Nothing- the church will withstand everything.
11. Why does Brand refuse to go with the Doctor?
(a) Brand must stay with Alf.
(b) Brand has to deliver communion.
(c) Brand does not like the doctor and will not go anywhere with him.
(d) Brand will not go unless he has been personally called for.
12. Who does Brand's mother wish to take the glare of blinding light away?
(d) The Devil.
13. For what reason is Brand's mother fearful?
(a) Because she will starve since he forgot to pay for her food.
(b) Because she will be imprisoned since he returned to the settlement.
(c) Because Agnes looks poor and she wishes more for her son.
(d) Because he could have died crossing the fjord and is the only family member she has left.
14. What does Agnes choose to do at the end of Act 2?
(a) Stay with Einar.
(b) Stay with Brand.
(c) Stay with Brand's mother.
(d) Stay with Gerd.
15. Agnes has a vision. What does she claim to have seen in this vision?
(a) Brand leaving forever.
(b) Brand walking into the fjord and never returning.
(c) Brand becoming the town's priest.
(d) Brand becoming the town's Mayor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Einar claim Brand has of his?
2. What does the Man call Brand when Brand says the mayor has been telling the truth?
3. Although the Man tells Brand that he has helped the people of the settlement, what does Brand claim is the problem with the people?
4. What is the peasant willing to pay to ease his daughter's death?
5. After informing Brand of his mother's death, what does the doctor tell Brand that their generation is concerned with?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)