|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Brand see sitting on the shore as the Men leave to return to the settlement?
(d) The Woman.
2. According to Brand, who must one love first before they can love all mankind?
(a) One other person.
(d) A child.
3. What is Gerd chasing when she meets Brand?
(a) A hawk.
(b) A dog.
(c) A butterfly.
(d) A wolf.
4. Brand's mother sends news that she has offered half of her fortune to God. Brand still refuses to go see her. What is Brand's mother's second offering?
5. What does the Man claim Brand has shown the townsfolk?
(b) Their sin.
(c) The Devil.
6. As Brand is waiting to hear about his mother's offering to God, what is Brand afraid God will ask of him?
(a) To leave Agnes, his one true love.
(b) To give up his son like Isaac.
(c) To marry Gerd.
(d) To give up the priesthood.
7. What is the peasant not willing to give up to ease his daughter's death?
(a) His home.
(b) HIs wealth.
(c) His land.
(d) His life.
8. What does Brand claim his mother did in search of fortune?
(a) Put her soul up for sale.
(b) Abandoned him at an orphanage.
(c) Cheated on his father.
(d) Brought prasie to God.
9. Act Three begins how many years after Act Two?
10. What is the one condition Brand's mother tells him regarding her fortune that is left to him?
(a) He must leave the settlement.
(b) He must marry Gerd.
(c) He must never be seen with Agnes again.
(d) He must not gamble with his life.
11. What does Brand claim helping the townsfolk monetarily would be?
(a) A miracle.
(c) A pleasure.
(d) A sin.
12. What does the Mayor warn Man Two not to do after discovering that his wife has died?
(a) Leave town.
(b) Abandon his children.
(c) Marry again.
(d) Start any trouble.
13. Brand refuses to change his beliefs. What does Brand say to Agnes in reply to her questioning him?
(a) "Was I priest or father first?"
(b) "I know you won't deceive us."
(c) "Don't think that I am blaming you."
(d) "You've got the call, see!"
14. As Brand is contemplating the doctor's prognosis, what does the doctor claim about Brand?
(a) That even in the face of death, Brand complies to all others' needs.
(b) That when personally troubled, All or Nothing does not matter.
(c) That he is the weakest man he has ever met.
(d) That when personally troubled, All or Nothing still matters.
15. Gerd arrives just after the Man leaves. What is Gerd saying has happened?
(a) That the mayor has died.
(b) That she has seen Alf running away through the mountains.
(c) That Brand's mother has died.
(d) The preacher has left.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Brand refuse to go with the Doctor?
2. While contemplating staying at the settlement, who finds Brand on the shore?
3. When Brand addresses the men who have come to the Woman's house, where does he say the left eye turns toward?
4. What does Einar claim Brand has of his?
5. Who does Brand's mother wish to take the glare of blinding light away?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)