|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gerd arrives just after the Man leaves. What is Gerd saying has happened?
(a) That Brand's mother has died.
(b) The preacher has left.
(c) That she has seen Alf running away through the mountains.
(d) That the mayor has died.
2. What does Gerd wish Brand to do in her church?
(a) Try to help her set it fire.
(b) Sabotage the worship service.
(c) Become a member of the congregation.
(d) Become the priest.
3. As Brand finishes his soliloquy, what falls on the ground next to him?
(a) A scarf.
(b) A rock.
(c) A bible.
(d) A bird.
4. In the beginning of Act Three, why is Brand anxiously looking out over the fjord?
(a) He is waiting for news of his mother.
(b) He is waiting for the ships to come in.
(c) He is waiting for a doctor.
(d) He is waiting for his son to return from war.
5. Who goes with Brand out into the storm?
(a) The Woman.
(b) The Mayor.
6. As the squall hits the fjord, what do the townsfolk threaten Brand with?
(a) Guns and torches.
(b) Stones and knives.
(d) Throwing him into the storm.
7. What does the Mayor warn Man Two not to do after discovering that his wife has died?
(a) Leave town.
(b) Abandon his children.
(c) Marry again.
(d) Start any trouble.
8. What does Brand save Einar and Agnes from doing?
(a) Being robbed by gypsys.
(b) Falling off a cliff.
(c) Being attacked by a lion.
(d) Falling over a waterfall.
9. Who is seen at the top off the cliffs as Brand leaves to cross the fjord?
(a) The Woman's husband.
10. Where does Brand ask Agnes to go after his mother leaves?
(a) To the mountains to elope.
(b) To the settlement to prepare for his return.
(c) To the funeral he is to preside over.
(d) To cleanse their souls.
11. At the end of Act 3, what does Brand ask Jesus for?
12. What does Brand claim helping the townsfolk monetarily would be?
(a) A pleasure.
(b) A sin.
(d) A miracle.
13. When Brand enters the fjord, why does the Mayor ask Brand for money?
(a) Because the town is in the middle of a long famine.
(b) Because the Mayor wants to build a new lodge.
(c) Because Brand looks wealthy.
(d) Because a hurricane has destroyed the town.
14. What does the doctor compare Brand to when speaking to Brand about Alf.
(a) A prisioner.
(b) A shipwrecked man.
(c) A snake.
(d) A sheep.
15. What does Agnes choose to do at the end of Act 2?
(a) Stay with Gerd.
(b) Stay with Einar.
(c) Stay with Brand.
(d) Stay with Brand's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Act 3, what does Agnes offer up to God as an offering?
2. While contemplating staying at the settlement, who finds Brand on the shore?
3. After the discussion about the townsfolk, what does the Man say to Brand as he leaves?
4. Who does Brand's mother wish to take the glare of blinding light away?
5. After the doctor leaves, Brand has another visitor. The Man tells Brand that he has an enemy. Who does the Man tell Brand the enemy is?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)