|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Brand think Einar see God?
(a) As non-existant..Einar does not believe in God.
(b) As a cripple.
(c) As a young, strong man.
(d) As a child.
2. When Brand addresses the men who have come to the Woman's house, where does he say the left eye turns toward?
(b) Away from danger.
3. Where does Elinar know Brand from?
(a) They are long-lost brothers reunited.
(b) From the orphanage.
(c) From church.
(d) Their childhood school.
4. What does Einar compare Agnes to?
(a) A snake.
(b) A butterfly.
(c) A bird.
(d) A lion.
5. What does Gerd wish Brand to do in her church?
(a) Sabotage the worship service.
(b) Try to help her set it fire.
(c) Become the priest.
(d) Become a member of the congregation.
6. What does Brand claim helping the townsfolk monetarily would be?
(a) A miracle.
(c) A sin.
(d) A pleasure.
7. Upon Brand's mother's deathbed, what does she proclaim?
(a) "My son will gain nothing from my death!"
(b) "Not only will God forgive me, my son will as well!"
(c) "I have given all that I am willing to give!"
(d) "God's not hardhearted, like my son!"
8. What does Brand threaten to do with his inheritance?
(a) Squander it on meaningless possessions.
(b) Buy the settlement and become the Mayor.
(c) Give it to his brother.
(d) Throw it to the winds.
9. After the doctor leaves, Brand has another visitor. The Man tells Brand that he has an enemy. Who does the Man tell Brand the enemy is?
(a) The mayor.
(d) The man.
10. What does Brand call his childhood home?
(a) God's window.
(b) Widow's place.
(c) The Devil's palace.
(d) Brimstone manor.
11. While contemplating staying at the settlement, who finds Brand on the shore?
(a) The Mayor.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
12. Where does Brand decide to go at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) To the ice church.
(b) To the river.
(c) To the settlement.
(d) To the mountains.
13. What is Gerd chasing when she meets Brand?
(a) A dog.
(b) A wolf.
(c) A hawk.
(d) A butterfly.
14. What do readers find out Brand's mother did to his father while he lay on his deathbed?
(a) Searched for his money.
(b) Nothing-she was never by his side.
(c) Poisoned him.
(d) Suffocated him with a pillow.
15. How does the valley look different from Brand's memories of it?
(a) It looks abandoned.
(b) It looks larger than he remembers.
(c) It looks smaller than he remembers.
(d) He does not recognize the land at all.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Einar claim Brand has of his?
2. What does the Woman tell Brand her husband has done?
3. Who does Brand's mother wish to take the glare of blinding light away?
4. As the squall hits the fjord, what do the townsfolk threaten Brand with?
5. Who does Brand see sitting on the shore as the Men leave to return to the settlement?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)