|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the Woman's house, what have the men come to ask of Brand?
(a) To be the prision guard.
(b) To be their farmer.
(c) To be their priest.
(d) To be their Mayor.
2. What is frozen in the ice near Gerd's church?
(a) A bear.
(b) A lion.
(c) A reindeer.
(d) A hawk.
3. What does Agnes choose to do at the end of Act 2?
(a) Stay with Gerd.
(b) Stay with Brand.
(c) Stay with Einar.
(d) Stay with Brand's mother.
4. Brand refuses to change his beliefs. What does Brand say to Agnes in reply to her questioning him?
(a) "You've got the call, see!"
(b) "Don't think that I am blaming you."
(c) "I know you won't deceive us."
(d) "Was I priest or father first?"
5. As Brand is waiting to hear about his mother's offering to God, what is Brand afraid God will ask of him?
(a) To give up his son like Isaac.
(b) To give up the priesthood.
(c) To leave Agnes, his one true love.
(d) To marry Gerd.
6. What does the Woman need who runs into the town as the squall hits?
(a) A horse.
(c) A priest.
(d) A doctor.
7. Who does Brand see sitting on the shore as the Men leave to return to the settlement?
(c) The Woman.
8. Who does Brand describe as "well-meaning, plump and debonair, both hands in pocket, quite sublimely like brackets in parenthesis?"
(a) The doctor.
(b) The Mayor.
9. At the end of Act 3, what does Brand ask Jesus for?
10. After the doctor leaves, Brand enters his house. What does he find has happened to Alf?
(a) Alf is dead.
(b) Alf has ran away.
(c) Alf has burned himself on the stove.
(d) Alf is very ill.
11. Where does Elinar know Brand from?
(a) From the orphanage.
(b) They are long-lost brothers reunited.
(c) From church.
(d) Their childhood school.
12. At the end of Act 3, what does Agnes offer up to God as an offering?
13. What does Brand claim his mother did in search of fortune?
(a) Abandoned him at an orphanage.
(b) Cheated on his father.
(c) Put her soul up for sale.
(d) Brought prasie to God.
14. What does Brand threaten to do with his inheritance?
(a) Buy the settlement and become the Mayor.
(b) Give it to his brother.
(c) Throw it to the winds.
(d) Squander it on meaningless possessions.
15. After Brand helps the Woman's husband, some men from the settlement arrive. What have they brought with them?
(a) Scraps of food.
(b) Weapons to kill him.
(d) A new boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Brand enters the fjord, why does the Mayor ask Brand for money?
2. Act Three begins how many years after Act Two?
3. What is the peasant afraid will happen to Brand if he continues on the path he is following?
4. What does the doctor say Brand and Agnes must do to save Alf?
5. In the opening act, who is with Brand?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)