|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Agnes believe "all earthly souls are doomed to fail?"
(a) Because no man is willing to give "All."
(b) Because no man is willing to give "Nothing."
(c) Because God asks too much of them.
(d) Because everyone is full of sin.
2. As the squall hits the fjord, what do the townsfolk threaten Brand with?
(a) Stones and knives.
(b) Guns and torches.
(d) Throwing him into the storm.
3. What does the peasant's son fear they will encounter if they continue on their journey?
(a) The nobles of the area.
(c) Wild animals.
(d) Bad weather.
4. What news does the doctor bring to Brand as he and Agnes are discussing the weaknesses of man?
(a) Gerd is dying and needs a priest.
(b) The drought is over and the townsfolk are meeting in the square.
(c) Brand's mother is dying.
(d) The mayor needs him for last rites for his son.
5. According to Brand, who must one love first before they can love all mankind?
(a) One other person.
(c) A child.
6. What does Brand tell the Mayor is his cause in life?
(a) To "cleanse the people's rampant sin."
(b) To insure he has "incited the flock."
(c) To "fight until it fill my home with light!"
(d) To "make a holy-day of labour's six."
7. Act Three begins how many years after Act Two?
8. When Brand enters the fjord, why does the Mayor ask Brand for money?
(a) Because a hurricane has destroyed the town.
(b) Because the town is in the middle of a long famine.
(c) Because the Mayor wants to build a new lodge.
(d) Because Brand looks wealthy.
9. What does the Man claim Brand has shown the townsfolk?
(a) The Devil.
(b) Their sin.
10. What does Brand say will cause Gerd's church to fall?
(a) The sun and the moon.
(b) The earth trembling because of the choir singing.
(c) Squalls, shouting, and rifle shots.
(d) Nothing- the church will withstand everything.
11. What does Brand offer the Mayor instead of money?
(a) A prayer.
(b) His words.
(c) His help.
(d) A cow.
12. Gerd arrives just after the Man leaves. What is Gerd saying has happened?
(a) That Brand's mother has died.
(b) That she has seen Alf running away through the mountains.
(c) The preacher has left.
(d) That the mayor has died.
13. What does Brand claim made his life more bearable?
(a) His mother's love.
(b) Gerd and the Ice Church.
(c) Agnes and Alf.
(d) His position as Mayor of the settlement.
14. What does Brand tell his mother she must do to repay her debt?
(a) Go to the bank and take out a loan.
(b) Give her tithes to the church.
(c) Give up everything she has.
(d) Nothing- she is too far gone.
15. What do the men say happened to the person who previously held the position for which they seek Brand?
(a) He was captured by the nobels of the land.
(b) He died because of the famine.
(c) He drowned in a squall crossing the fjord.
(d) He left because they could not pay him enough.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon Brand's mother's deathbed, what does she proclaim?
2. As Brand is contemplating the doctor's prognosis, what does the doctor claim about Brand?
3. What is Gerd chasing when she meets Brand?
4. How does Brand think Einar see God?
5. At the end of Act 3, what does Agnes offer up to God as an offering?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)