|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Brand save Einar and Agnes from doing?
(a) Being robbed by gypsys.
(b) Falling over a waterfall.
(c) Falling off a cliff.
(d) Being attacked by a lion.
2. In the beginning of Act Three, why is Brand anxiously looking out over the fjord?
(a) He is waiting for news of his mother.
(b) He is waiting for the ships to come in.
(c) He is waiting for his son to return from war.
(d) He is waiting for a doctor.
3. Who does Brand describe as "well-meaning, plump and debonair, both hands in pocket, quite sublimely like brackets in parenthesis?"
(c) The doctor.
(d) The Mayor.
4. What does Agnes choose to do at the end of Act 2?
(a) Stay with Gerd.
(b) Stay with Brand.
(c) Stay with Einar.
(d) Stay with Brand's mother.
5. While talking about Alf the Brand, what does the doctor claim that Brand is running from?
(a) The mayor and Gerd.
(c) His mother's corpse and his flock of souls.
(d) The devil.
6. What does the Woman need who runs into the town as the squall hits?
(b) A doctor.
(c) A priest.
(d) A horse.
7. What is the one condition Brand's mother tells him regarding her fortune that is left to him?
(a) He must leave the settlement.
(b) He must never be seen with Agnes again.
(c) He must not gamble with his life.
(d) He must marry Gerd.
8. What does the Woman tell Brand her husband has done?
(a) Killed their child.
(b) Ran off with a neighbor girl.
(c) Gambled away their savings.
(d) Killed a neighbor.
9. Who does Brand claim sent Gerd to him?
(b) The doctor.
(c) The Man.
(d) The mayor.
10. During Brand's conversation with the Mayor about his inheritance, what does Brand realize the Mayor is saying?
(a) The Mayor wants him to convince his mother to give all of her money to the town.
(b) The Mayor wants to confiscate Brand's inheritance.
(c) The Mayor wants him to leave the settlement.
(d) The Mayor wants him to leave Agnes and marry his daughter.
11. Although the Man tells Brand that he has helped the people of the settlement, what does Brand claim is the problem with the people?
(a) They do not really care.
(b) They are blind.
(c) They are deaf.
(d) They are helpless.
12. For what reason is Brand's mother fearful?
(a) Because he could have died crossing the fjord and is the only family member she has left.
(b) Because she will be imprisoned since he returned to the settlement.
(c) Because she will starve since he forgot to pay for her food.
(d) Because Agnes looks poor and she wishes more for her son.
13. What does Brand tell his mother she must do to repay her debt?
(a) Nothing- she is too far gone.
(b) Give up everything she has.
(c) Give her tithes to the church.
(d) Go to the bank and take out a loan.
14. When Brand sees the valley for the first time, what does Brand realize about the land he has just entered?
(a) It is his childhood homeland.
(b) It is what he has seen in his dreams.
(c) He was forbidden to ever return to this land.
(d) He has never been here.
15. What does Brand tell the Mayor is his cause in life?
(a) To "cleanse the people's rampant sin."
(b) To insure he has "incited the flock."
(c) To "fight until it fill my home with light!"
(d) To "make a holy-day of labour's six."
Short Answer Questions
1. After informing Brand of his mother's death, what does the doctor tell Brand that their generation is concerned with?
2. What does Brand claim helping the townsfolk monetarily would be?
3. After the discussion about the townsfolk, what does the Man say to Brand as he leaves?
4. Upon Brand's arrival to the valley, where are all of the town's folk going to?
5. Who does Brand's mother wish to take the glare of blinding light away?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)