|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Brand claim made his life more bearable?
(a) His position as Mayor of the settlement.
(b) Gerd and the Ice Church.
(c) His mother's love.
(d) Agnes and Alf.
2. What is the one condition Brand's mother tells him regarding her fortune that is left to him?
(a) He must marry Gerd.
(b) He must never be seen with Agnes again.
(c) He must not gamble with his life.
(d) He must leave the settlement.
3. What does the peasant's son fear they will encounter if they continue on their journey?
(a) Bad weather.
(c) Wild animals.
(d) The nobles of the area.
4. What does the Mayor warn Man Two not to do after discovering that his wife has died?
(a) Leave town.
(b) Marry again.
(c) Abandon his children.
(d) Start any trouble.
5. What does Brand tell the Mayor is his cause in life?
(a) To insure he has "incited the flock."
(b) To "make a holy-day of labour's six."
(c) To "cleanse the people's rampant sin."
(d) To "fight until it fill my home with light!"
6. When Brand sees the valley for the first time, what does Brand realize about the land he has just entered?
(a) He was forbidden to ever return to this land.
(b) It is what he has seen in his dreams.
(c) He has never been here.
(d) It is his childhood homeland.
7. For what reason is Brand's mother fearful?
(a) Because Agnes looks poor and she wishes more for her son.
(b) Because she will be imprisoned since he returned to the settlement.
(c) Because she will starve since he forgot to pay for her food.
(d) Because he could have died crossing the fjord and is the only family member she has left.
8. According to Brand, who must one love first before they can love all mankind?
(a) One other person.
(d) A child.
9. How does Brand think Einar see God?
(a) As non-existant..Einar does not believe in God.
(b) As a child.
(c) As a young, strong man.
(d) As a cripple.
10. What does Brand threaten to do with his inheritance?
(a) Give it to his brother.
(b) Buy the settlement and become the Mayor.
(c) Throw it to the winds.
(d) Squander it on meaningless possessions.
11. After the doctor leaves, Brand enters his house. What does he find has happened to Alf?
(a) Alf is dead.
(b) Alf has burned himself on the stove.
(c) Alf has ran away.
(d) Alf is very ill.
12. According to Brand, what does he tell the Mayor is "the greatest triumph?"
(a) The second coming.
13. Why does the woman refuse to go with Brand across the fjord?
(a) She is afraid that her husband will kill her.
(b) She is afraid of dying and her children need their mother.
(c) There is no one to go home to.
(d) Because she does not know him.
14. What promise does Agnes tell Brand he has failed to keep regarding their life?
(a) They are poor and Brand said that they would be wealthly.
(b) That she would become a noble of the land if she married him.
(c) He said their life would be one of woe and she is actually living a happy life.
(d) Brand said he would leave her until his mother dies.
15. While arguing with Brand about the settlement's faith, what does the Mayor say his congregation CAN shed?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brand claim his mother did in search of fortune?
2. At the end of Act 3, what does Agnes offer up to God as an offering?
3. Gerd arrives just after the Man leaves. What is Gerd saying has happened?
4. At the Woman's house, what have the men come to ask of Brand?
5. What does the Man call Brand when Brand says the mayor has been telling the truth?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)