|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon Brand's mother's deathbed, what does she proclaim?
(a) "God's not hardhearted, like my son!"
(b) "My son will gain nothing from my death!"
(c) "Not only will God forgive me, my son will as well!"
(d) "I have given all that I am willing to give!"
2. Who does Brand describe as "well-meaning, plump and debonair, both hands in pocket, quite sublimely like brackets in parenthesis?"
(a) The doctor.
(b) The Mayor.
3. Why does the woman refuse to go with Brand across the fjord?
(a) There is no one to go home to.
(b) She is afraid of dying and her children need their mother.
(c) She is afraid that her husband will kill her.
(d) Because she does not know him.
4. According to Brand, who must one love first before they can love all mankind?
(a) One other person.
(c) A child.
5. Who does Brand claim sent Gerd to him?
(a) The doctor.
(b) The Man.
(d) The mayor.
6. What does Brand say will cause Gerd's church to fall?
(a) The sun and the moon.
(b) Squalls, shouting, and rifle shots.
(c) Nothing- the church will withstand everything.
(d) The earth trembling because of the choir singing.
7. What does Brand claim made his life more bearable?
(a) Gerd and the Ice Church.
(b) His position as Mayor of the settlement.
(c) His mother's love.
(d) Agnes and Alf.
8. As the squall hits the fjord, what do the townsfolk threaten Brand with?
(a) Guns and torches.
(b) Throwing him into the storm.
(d) Stones and knives.
9. Despite the Mayor's argument, why does Brand deny the Mayor's request?
(a) Brand claims: "it's thanks to me the population has made a two, nigh three-fold rise."
(b) Brand claims to still need to "bring some order and cleanse the people's rampant sin."
(c) Brand claims he is "at war with Nature's stubbornness."
(d) Brand claims: "A man can't choose his calling's sphere."
10. Although the Man tells Brand that he has helped the people of the settlement, what does Brand claim is the problem with the people?
(a) They are deaf.
(b) They do not really care.
(c) They are helpless.
(d) They are blind.
11. After Brand helps the Woman's husband, some men from the settlement arrive. What have they brought with them?
(b) Scraps of food.
(c) A new boat.
(d) Weapons to kill him.
12. How does one of the men convince Brand to stay in the settlement?
(a) By using Brand's own belief: give all or nothing.
(b) By promising Brand anything he wishes.
(c) By blackmailing him.
(d) By using Brand's own belief: it is God's plan.
13. When Brand addresses the men who have come to the Woman's house, where does he say the left eye turns toward?
(d) Away from danger.
14. At the Woman's house, what have the men come to ask of Brand?
(a) To be their Mayor.
(b) To be the prision guard.
(c) To be their priest.
(d) To be their farmer.
15. What does Brand tell the Mayor is his cause in life?
(a) To "make a holy-day of labour's six."
(b) To insure he has "incited the flock."
(c) To "fight until it fill my home with light!"
(d) To "cleanse the people's rampant sin."
Short Answer Questions
1. Agnes, holding Alf, is watching the conversation between Gerd and Brand. What does Gerd call Alf?
2. What is Gerd chasing when she meets Brand?
3. Who is seen at the top off the cliffs as Brand leaves to cross the fjord?
4. What does the Woman tell Brand her husband has done?
5. What does Brand threaten to do with his inheritance?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)