|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 5, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Mayor comes to see Brand and tells Brand that the congregation is waiting for him. What does Brand say to the Mayor's request to begin his sermon?
(a) That he has sent for someone to take his place.
(b) That he must first find Einar.
(c) That he will be there shortly.
(d) That he is not going to the church to give the sermon.
2. What promise does Agnes tell Brand he has failed to keep regarding their life?
(a) Brand said he would leave her until his mother dies.
(b) He said their life would be one of woe and she is actually living a happy life.
(c) They are poor and Brand said that they would be wealthly.
(d) That she would become a noble of the land if she married him.
3. While talking about Alf the Brand, what does the doctor claim that Brand is running from?
(a) The mayor and Gerd.
(c) The devil.
(d) His mother's corpse and his flock of souls.
4. What does Gerd say her church is built out of?
(a) Rocks and mud.
(b) Ice and snow.
(c) Trees and flowers.
(d) Branches and twine.
5. How does one of the men convince Brand to stay in the settlement?
(a) By using Brand's own belief: it is God's plan.
(b) By using Brand's own belief: give all or nothing.
(c) By blackmailing him.
(d) By promising Brand anything he wishes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Act Three begins how many years after Act Two?
2. Why does Brand refuse to help the peasant and his daughter?
3. What are the three things that the committee of the church has decided to give to Brand?
4. In the beginning of Act Three, why is Brand anxiously looking out over the fjord?
5. According to Brand, who must one love first before they can love all mankind?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)