|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 5, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Brand goes to give his sermon, the Dean has come to speak to him about his obligations. What obligation does the Dean say Brand must fulfill?
(a) His obligation to the Dean.
(b) His obligation to State.
(c) His obligation to his family.
(d) His obligation to the settlement.
2. What does Brand call his childhood home?
(a) The Devil's palace.
(b) God's window.
(c) Brimstone manor.
(d) Widow's place.
3. What does the Mayor decide to do to help Brand in the building of the church?
(c) The blessing of the church.
(d) Raising of the walls.
4. As Einar leaves, Brand realizes something about him. What does Brand realize?
(a) That it was best that Einar left.
(b) That Einar is the man he needs to help him.
(c) That he was wrong in taking Agnes from Einar.
(d) That he has failed all of humanity.
5. In the beginning of Act Three, why is Brand anxiously looking out over the fjord?
(a) He is waiting for news of his mother.
(b) He is waiting for the ships to come in.
(c) He is waiting for his son to return from war.
(d) He is waiting for a doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Brand's contemplation of the Mayor's visit, what word does he say "slips smoothly enough from off the lips?"
2. Agnes claims that she has given all in regard to Brand's request. What has she kept, and therefore, lied about?
3. When does Agnes wish Brand to have the new "great church" built by?
4. After the doctor leaves, Brand enters his house. What does he find has happened to Alf?
5. What does Brand save Einar and Agnes from doing?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)