|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 5, Scene 1, Part 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Brand informs the mayor that he will finance the re-building of the church. How does Brand intend to do this?
(a) With the money he gets from the congregation.
(b) With Agnes' money.
(c) With his mother's money.
(d) With the money he has earned on his own.
2. When Brand enters the fjord, why does the Mayor ask Brand for money?
(a) Because a hurricane has destroyed the town.
(b) Because Brand looks wealthy.
(c) Because the town is in the middle of a long famine.
(d) Because the Mayor wants to build a new lodge.
3. How does the valley look different from Brand's memories of it?
(a) It looks larger than he remembers.
(b) It looks smaller than he remembers.
(c) He does not recognize the land at all.
(d) It looks abandoned.
4. According to Brand, what does he tell the Mayor is "the greatest triumph?"
(a) The second coming.
5. The schoolmaster and the sexton are talking about Brand. According to them, why is Brand different?
(a) He is trying to leave the church and become the mayor.
(b) He sees the new church as a path to greater power for him.
(c) Agnes has died and he cannot hide the sorrow.
(d) Alf has just died and Brand must preside over the funeral.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Brand sees the valley for the first time, what does Brand realize about the land he has just entered?
2. Who is seen at the top off the cliffs as Brand leaves to cross the fjord?
3. During Brand's contemplation of the Mayor's visit, what word does he say "slips smoothly enough from off the lips?"
4. The play begins in what country?
5. In the opening act, who is with Brand?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)