|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through "Trevor, Pray" - "Chameleon".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the most consistent male figure in the author's life growing up?
(a) His grandfather, Temperance.
(b) Nelson Mandela.
(c) His father, Robert.
(d) His uncle, Dinky.
2. What crime did the author's parents commit when they had him?
(a) They each had intercourse with a person of another race.
(b) They illegally crossed the border to have him in Swaziland.
(c) They kidnapped him from his real parents.
(d) They hired an off-the-books midwife to deliver him.
3. The children of Soweto would yell out "indoda yomlungu!" whenever they passed the author. What does this phrase mean?
(a) "Look out!"
(b) "I hate that kid!"
(c) "Hey, buddy!"
(d) "The white man!"
4. Who taught Patricia how to navigate Johannesburg without being deported to the Bantustans?
(b) Mini-bus drivers.
(c) Food vendors.
5. How did the author's mother save him from the threatening men on the mini-bus?
(a) She threatened the men into leaving them alone.
(b) She bribed the men into leaving them alone.
(c) She beat the men senseless.
(d) She threw him out of the vehicle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the shopkeeper in the story "Chameleon" respond when Patricia proved she could understand Afrikaans?
2. Which of the following is NOT a language that Patricia taught to the author?
3. Why did Frances Noah refuse to beat the author when the author was a little boy?
4. To what did Patricia attribute the fecal matter she discovered in her wastepaper basket?
5. What reason did Patricia give when the author asked why they did not move to Switzerland?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)