|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fone say that he smells in Chapter five?
2. What unfinished business does the hooded one tell Phoney that they have?
3. What did Phoney promise people if they showed up at his campaign event?
4. What does Fone tell Thorn after she wakes up in the end of Chapter four?
5. What does Fone get on to Phoney for in the beginning of Chapter four?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in chapter six when the hooded one appears?
2. What does Phoney say when Smiley reminds him that he won't be getting money but goods and services?
3. In chapter four what does Thorn tell Phoney about the spring fair while they are on the way to the stream?
4. What does Phoney do in chapter four after promising Fone that he would behave until they leave for town?
5. What do Phoney and Smiley discuss in chapter five about the cow race?
6. What does Gran'ma say they are going to do in chapter six after the dragon has gone?
7. Describe the scene in chapter six when Thorn first arrives back home.
8. What does Lucius tell Gran'ma and the others when they arrive at Barrelhaven?
9. Describe the conversation that happens between Kingdok and the two rat creatures that continually follow Fone.
10. In chapter four who does Phoney first meet on the way to town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Do you believe that the dragon was awakened by Fone or that the dragon already knew about Fone?
2) How do you think the hooded one knows about Phoney? Why do you think the hooded one wants Phoney's soul?
3) Why does the dragon seem to keep to close to Fone despite the fact that Phoney is the one that the hooded one wants?
Essay Topic 2
1) Why does Fone continually help Phoney even though he knows that Phoney will most likely get him into trouble?
2) How does Smiley's reasons for helping Phoney compare to Fone's reasons?
3) What does it indicate that Smiley was worried about Fone because Fone is small?
Essay Topic 3
1) What is the role that Smiley plays in the story?
2) Do you believe that Smiley is dumb or that he just plays dumb? Why?
3) Does Smiley intentionally try to irritate Phoney?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)