|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phoney tell Smiley they need to find in Chapter five?
2. Why does Gran'ma say for them not to worry about her in Chapter five?
3. What does Fone say about the spring fair in Chapter four?
4. What unfinished business does the hooded one tell Phoney that they have?
5. What does Gran'ma say in Chapter five when Thorn asks if they should dose the lights?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the dream that Thorn has in chapter four.
2. Describe the conversation that Thorn has with the rat creatures in chapter five?
3. Describe what happens in chapter five after the last of the rat creatures have been scared away from Thorn and Fone by the dragon?
4. In chapter four who does Phoney first meet on the way to town?
5. What happens when the bartender comes over to demand payment from Phoney?
6. What do Smiley and Phoney plan out in chapter six?
7. What does Gran'ma ask Fone after Thorn has left to go put out the fire on the roof?
8. What happens in chapter five when Fone begins smelling brimstone?
9. What does Gran'ma say they are going to do in chapter six after the dragon has gone?
10. What does Fone say to Phoney in chapter four that makes Phoney suddenly excited about going into town with Gran'ma and Thorn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe Thorn's dream. What do you think the dream stems from?
2) If Fone were to have a dream speculate on what it would be about.
3) If this story were one of the characters having a dream which character would it be and why?
Essay Topic 2
1) What is the role that Smiley plays in the story?
2) Do you believe that Smiley is dumb or that he just plays dumb? Why?
3) Does Smiley intentionally try to irritate Phoney?
Essay Topic 3
1) Speculate on the significance of the map that Smiley found in Chapter one.
2) What do think could be the possible reasons that Thorn feels that the map is familiar in some way?
3) If the map could represent something more in the story what would it be?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)