|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Rat Creatures does Gran'ma say are outside the house when Thorn asks in Chapter five?
2. Why does Phoney say his first idea wasn't silly in response to Smiley in Chapter five?
3. What does Fone do when he sees Phoney at Lucius' bar?
4. What does Phoney tell the possum children when he runs into them in Chapter four?
5. What does Phoney say in Chapter five when Smiley asks if they can have another round on Phoney?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the bartender comes over to demand payment from Phoney?
2. What does Gran'ma say they are going to do in chapter six after the dragon has gone?
3. What happens in chapter five when Fone begins smelling brimstone?
4. Describe the scene in chapter four: Kingdok, when Phoney and Fone are arguing after Phoney has spilled the milk.
5. Describe the conversation that happens between Kingdok and the two rat creatures that continually follow Fone.
6. What does Fone say to Phoney in chapter four that makes Phoney suddenly excited about going into town with Gran'ma and Thorn?
7. What does Gran'ma ask Fone after Thorn has left to go put out the fire on the roof?
8. In chapter four what does Fone say that Phoney had done that got them kicked out of Boneville?
9. What do Smiley and Phoney discuss in chapter five when they are first reunited?
10. In chapter four what does Thorn tell Phoney about the spring fair while they are on the way to the stream?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Why does Fone continually help Phoney even though he knows that Phoney will most likely get him into trouble?
2) How does Smiley's reasons for helping Phoney compare to Fone's reasons?
3) What does it indicate that Smiley was worried about Fone because Fone is small?
Essay Topic 2
1) Speculate on the significance of the map that Smiley found in Chapter one.
2) What do think could be the possible reasons that Thorn feels that the map is familiar in some way?
3) If the map could represent something more in the story what would it be?
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe what you know of the hooded figure.
2) Why is the hooded one's identity kept hidden?
3) What role do you believe that the hooded one plays in the other books in the series?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)