|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gran'ma ask Thorn to bring her in chapter five from the fireplace?
2. What does Lucius have for Gran'ma that he says he has been saving all day?
3. Why does Phoney say that Fone won't hear a peep out of him in Chapter four?
4. What does the hooded one say matters to Phoney?
5. What does Smiley explain about the monetary system in barrelhaven?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fone say to Phoney in chapter four that makes Phoney suddenly excited about going into town with Gran'ma and Thorn?
2. What happens when Phoney arrives at Barrelhaven?
3. Describe the scene in chapter four: Kingdok, when Phoney and Fone are arguing after Phoney has spilled the milk.
4. In chapter four what does Fone say that Phoney had done that got them kicked out of Boneville?
5. What does Gran'ma ask Fone after Thorn has left to go put out the fire on the roof?
6. What does Phoney do in chapter four after promising Fone that he would behave until they leave for town?
7. Describe the scene in chapter six when Thorn first arrives back home.
8. What does Gran'ma explain is happening to her in chapter four when she and Fone are talking about her missing bloomers?
9. Describe the dream that Thorn has in chapter four.
10. Describe the conversation that happens between Kingdok and the two rat creatures that continually follow Fone.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe Gran'ma's personality.
2) What is Gran'ma's role in the story?
3) Does it change your view of Gran'ma that she knew the dragon? What reasons could she have for not telling Thorn or Fone about the dragon even after they knew that she knew the dragon?
Essay Topic 2
1) What is the role that Smiley plays in the story?
2) Do you believe that Smiley is dumb or that he just plays dumb? Why?
3) Does Smiley intentionally try to irritate Phoney?
Essay Topic 3
1) What would you say that the dragon symbolizes in the story? Explain.
2) Why is Thorn so reluctant to believe there is a dragon?
3) Why does the dragon fail to show himself to Thorn earlier in the story?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)