* The stage remains empty until Boesman lumbers in, burdened with belongings such as an old mattress and blanket, a blackened paraffin tin, an apple box, a few cooking utensils and a few articles of clothing.
* Boesman also drags a piece of corrugated iron in one hand.
* Boesman is barefoot and wears shapeless gray trousers rolled up to his knees, an old shirt, a faded blazer and a cap on his head.
* Boesman looks around the barren area and drops his bundles, himself falling to the ground.
* Lena appears, burdened much the same as Boesman, but without a mattress.
* Lena has a load of firewood under her arm, but she carries the rest of her bundle rigidly on her head.
* She, too, is barefoot and clothed in a baggy, lifeless dress. Lena and Boesman are each close to 50-years-old.
* Boesman looks at Lena with an unforgiving eye and...
This section contains 2,444 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)