|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the young wife?
2. What does the young wife say is on all the walls?
3. What does the husband say while lighting his cigar?
4. What does the young wife remember as she lies in her new bedroom?
5. What name does the young wife say means nothing to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the Marquis stops what he is doing when the door is locked?
2. Do you think Carter represents the Marquis as unstable and crazy or just plain evil?
3. How important is the piano tuner to the story?
4. What is the girl's reaction to seeing her husband's pornography?
5. Describe the piano tuners background.
6. Why do you think the young wife would want to marry the Marquis if she does not love him?
7. How do you think Brittany is different to the young wife's life in Paris?
8. What do you think is the significance of the sea?
9. What is a Marquis?
10. What do you think is the significance of the opal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book is called the Bloody Chamber, a title that speaks for it self. Why do you think Carter has chosen such a straightforward title? What kind of expectations does it give the reader? How important do you think titles are?
Essay Topic 2
Carter seems to give everything in the book color. What colors does she use? What tone does this give the novella? Choose two examples of Carter's use of color and discuss what meaning that color gives both the object and the story.
Essay Topic 3
The character of a Marquis has a history in fiction and popular culture. What meaning does the Marquis bring to the story? What other Marquis's are there from popular culture that shares similar characteristics.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)