|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the young wife?
2. What does the young wife think will happen if she continues playing the piano?
3. What does the maid ask the young wife in the study?
4. What does the husband say the young wife must not play with?
5. What does the young wife think her husband has left her for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the young wife would want to marry the Marquis if she does not love him?
2. Describe what a catafalque is.
3. What Fairy Tale conventions does Carter use?
4. Describe the young girl.
5. In what way is Bloody Chamber a feminist story?
6. Describe the castle setting.
7. What is the significance of the key leaving a bloody heart on the young wife's forehead?
8. Describe what an iron maiden is.
9. Why does the girl decide to enter the private room?
10. Why do you think Carter is so descriptive about the dead bodies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carter uses many conventions from folk and fairy tales. What conventions do you recognize from the book? Take two examples and discuss how Carter uses them. Does she give them new meaning.
Essay Topic 2
Angela Carter is famous for writing in a magic realist style.
1) What is magic realism?
2) How does Carter use magic realism in the Bloody Chamber?
3) Take an example of magic realism from the book and discuss how it contributes to the story's meaning.
Essay Topic 3
What do you think the castle setting brings to the story? Take another setting and discuss what difference it would bring to the same story?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)