|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the young wife say lays in the center of the room?
2. What does the maid bring the young wife for breakfast?
3. Why does the young wife think the maid is discourteous?
4. What is the skull crowned with?
5. What does the young wife say is reflected in the mirrors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think the girl means to the Marquis?
2. Why do you think the young wife is so quick to call the piano tuner her young lover?
3. Why do you think Carter focuses so much on the young girl's body?
4. Describe the castle setting.
5. What reason do you think the young wife cries to her mother?
6. What do you think is the significance of the sea?
7. How important is the piano tuner to the story?
8. In what ways is the young woman experienced?
9. Why does the husband looking at his wife 'like horse flesh' take her breath away?
10. What do you think is the chronological setting of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Angela Carter is famous for writing in a magic realist style.
1) What is magic realism?
2) How does Carter use magic realism in the Bloody Chamber?
3) Take an example of magic realism from the book and discuss how it contributes to the story's meaning.
Essay Topic 2
The Bloody Chamber is based on a fairy tale called Blue Beard. What are the mechanics of a fairy tale in terms of:
Essay Topic 3
What do you think the castle setting brings to the story? Take another setting and discuss what difference it would bring to the same story?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)