|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of piano has the husband left his young wife?
2. What has the husband bought for their wedding gift?
3. What does the young wife call her bed?
4. What does the young wife say has now healed?
5. How long does the young wife say the desk is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Carter references a lot of artists and books in the novella. What meaning do they bring to the story?
2. In what ways has the young wife grown up in a short space of time?
3. How does the young girl's father cast a shadow across the whole story?
4. What is the significance of the key leaving a bloody heart on the young wife's forehead?
5. Describe the piano tuners background.
6. Why does the mother allow her young daughter to marry the Marquis when she has reservations about him?
7. In what way does the marquis lie about the appearance of the corridor that leads to his secret room?
8. Why do you think music is so important to the young wife?
9. What is the girl's reaction to seeing her husband's pornography?
10. What do you think the girl means to the Marquis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Bloody Chamber is a novella. What do you think are the differences between a novella and a novel in terms of:
Essay Topic 2
The piano tuner suggests the community and the Marquis' household suspects he is a murderer. What hold do you think the Marquis has over these people?
Essay Topic 3
Carter uses many conventions from folk and fairy tales. What conventions do you recognize from the book? Take two examples and discuss how Carter uses them. Does she give them new meaning.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)