|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Smallweed takes over Krook's property, he finds ___________.
2. Mrs. Snagsby continues to insist that ___________.
3. Staying at Boythorn's country house, Esther ___________.
4. Sir Leicester is overwhelmed and suffers from ___________.
5. After many years, George meets with ___________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The gap between the rich and poor seems extremely wide in Bleak House. Write an essay, using the story and its characters, that compares and contrasts the poorest with the wealthiest. Also, try to determine where Dickens' sympathy lay when he wrote Bleak House.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 22 of Bleak House, Mr. Bucket makes reference to the "fever houses" in London. Research the epidemics of typhus and smallpox that swept through England in the 1800s. What was the statistical impact, how were the diseases treated, and how were they brought under control?
Essay Topic 3
At one point in Bleak House, Richard Carstone intends to be an MRCS, or "Member of the Royal College of Surgeons." Research this institution and determine whether it still exists and its current status.
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)