|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Snagsby is jealous of her husband's contact with ___________.
2. After a friendly dinner at the Bagnets', Mr. Bucket ___________.
3. Mrs. Snagsby continues to insist that ___________.
4. Esther's illness has resulted in ___________.
5. George's mother turns out to be ___________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Apparently, during Dickens' lifetime, women were still not considered equal to men. Using Bleak House as your basis of research, explore the status of women in the 1800s in England. What clues does this story provide (perhaps unintentionally) about how women were seen and treated?
Essay Topic 2
The gap between the rich and poor seems extremely wide in Bleak House. Write an essay, using the story and its characters, that compares and contrasts the poorest with the wealthiest. Also, try to determine where Dickens' sympathy lay when he wrote Bleak House.
Essay Topic 3
Dickens describes Tulkinghorn's funeral as having many empty carriages for absent mourners. Research this practice and write an essay on its origins, its meaning, and its demise.
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)