|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Esther learns that Mr. Woodcourt ___________.
2. Tulkinghorn tells a story that reveals ___________.
3. Esther is afraid that Miss Barbary rejected Boythorn because ___________.
4. What Hortense wants from Mr. Tulkinghorn is ___________.
5. Mr. Jarndyce turns Esther over to Woodcourt and again becomes ___________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several times in Bleak House Dickens describes the most disgusting and unsanitary conditions of London cemeteries. What were those conditions? Why were they allowed to get to this state? Have they changed? Research the history of London burial grounds and write a detailed essay, using images, if possible.
Essay Topic 2
Jarndyce v. Jarndyce comes to an end, just as Esther's adult life begins to take form. In its wake, the lawsuit has swept away many people, and the plot of the story has been cleaned up and tied up. What is Dickens trying to say, with Esther now being a happy woman, the misunderstandings smoothed out, Miss Flite's birds being free, and other semi-happy endings offered in Bleak House?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the use of flowers in Bleak House. Dickens employs flowers several times in very specific, symbolic ways. Examine the symbolism and determine if there is a common thread in the instances where flowers appear.
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)