|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Richard is again obsessed with ___________.
2. Sadly, Esther learns that Ada ___________.
3. George explains that he gave Hawdon's letter to Tulkinghorn ___________.
4. Lady Dedlock finally reveals to Esther that ___________.
5. We learn that Jo was removed from Esther's care by ___________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dickens describes Tulkinghorn's funeral as having many empty carriages for absent mourners. Research this practice and write an essay on its origins, its meaning, and its demise.
Essay Topic 2
Dickens' writing style in Bleak House often resembles or illustrates his subject matter. Discuss this idea, and if you agree that this is the author's intent, provide examples.. Does this literary device help to drive home Dickens' points? Is there a name for this method? Give examples and quotes that illustrate how Dickens' writing mimics his subject matter.
Essay Topic 3
A "beadle" was something of a cross between a police officer and church official. Research the role of beadles in England in the 1800s. How did society view them at that time? It is helpful to re-read Chapter 11 of Bleak House about the beadle's arrival at Krook House at the time of Nemo's death.
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)