|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Richard is again obsessed with ___________.
2. Mr. Vholes wants to let Mr. Jarndyce know about ___________.
3. George refuses to get a lawyer and wants to defend himself because ___________.
4. Mrs. Snagsby continues to insist that ___________.
5. Esther and Mr. Guppy agree that his earlier marriage proposal ___________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dickens describes Tulkinghorn's funeral as having many empty carriages for absent mourners. Research this practice and write an essay on its origins, its meaning, and its demise.
Essay Topic 2
London's Court of Chancery actually existed at one time. Write a well-researched essay about the Chancery, its structure, its intended purpose and its eventual demise. Can you compare the institution to any that are in existence today?
Essay Topic 3
Several times in Bleak House Dickens describes the most disgusting and unsanitary conditions of London cemeteries. What were those conditions? Why were they allowed to get to this state? Have they changed? Research the history of London burial grounds and write a detailed essay, using images, if possible.
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)