|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Esther learns that Mr. Woodcourt ___________.
2. The childish Mr. Skimpole was paid five pounds ___________.
3. Tulkinghorn, who vows to reveal Lady Dedlock's secret, is ___________.
4. Life at Chesney Wold has become ___________.
5. The debts of Bagnet and George will be forgiven if they ___________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Rouncewell family is in the iron business, Mr. Rouncewell being an "ironmaster." Research industrial progress in England in the 1850s, what had been accomplished by that time, and what was in the works. How did industry affect the country, in general, at that time?
Essay Topic 2
Dickens describes Tulkinghorn's funeral as having many empty carriages for absent mourners. Research this practice and write an essay on its origins, its meaning, and its demise.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 48 of Bleak House, Dickens refers to "upstart gas" that has begun to light the streets of London. Research the use of gas for public lighting and the replacement of whale oil. When did the change take place, and why? How did the two qualities of lighting compare. Was it truly a progressive change?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)