|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Vohles assures Richard that ___________.
2. George's mother turns out to be ___________.
3. Esther happily receives a proposal of marriage from ___________.
4. The debts of Bagnet and George will be forgiven if they ___________.
5. Lady Dedlock's body is found by Esther and Mr. Bucket ___________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 22 of Bleak House, Mr. Bucket makes reference to the "fever houses" in London. Research the epidemics of typhus and smallpox that swept through England in the 1800s. What was the statistical impact, how were the diseases treated, and how were they brought under control?
Essay Topic 2
London's Court of Chancery actually existed at one time. Write a well-researched essay about the Chancery, its structure, its intended purpose and its eventual demise. Can you compare the institution to any that are in existence today?
Essay Topic 3
Write a well-researched paper about England's system of currency in the 1800s. Determine the name of each denomination and approximately what it was worth, or what it could buy. When did the system change and why?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)