|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Esther is afraid that Miss Barbary rejected Boythorn because ___________.
2. Lady Dedlock's body is found by Esther and Mr. Bucket ___________.
3. Esther happily receives a proposal of marriage from ___________.
4. Ada gives birth to a baby boy, while Esther has ___________.
5. After a friendly dinner at the Bagnets', Mr. Bucket ___________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Write a researched essay about hair powder. The Dedlocks' servants were described as using powder. What was the origin of this practice? From what was it made? What was the societal implication of wearing hair powder? Discuss the taxes levied on hair powder, and the course of its popularity.
Essay Topic 2A "beadle" was something of a cross between a police officer and church official. Research the role of beadles in England in the 1800s. How did society view them at that time? It is helpful to re-read Chapter 11 of Bleak House about the beadle's arrival at Krook House at the time of Nemo's death.
Essay Topic 3The Rouncewell family is in the iron business, Mr. Rouncewell being an "ironmaster." Research industrial progress in England in the 1850s, what had been accomplished by that time, and what was in the works. How did industry affect the country, in general, at that time?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)