|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miss Flite makes Richard her executor because of his ___________.
2. The childish Mr. Skimpole was paid five pounds ___________.
3. Lady Dedlock finally reveals to Esther that ___________.
4. Sir Leicester is overwhelmed and suffers from ___________.
5. Mrs. Snagsby is jealous of her husband's contact with ___________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a well-researched essay on England's "work-houses" for the indigent. You should include how they came to be, what they offered, the conditions present, and whether anything like them exists today. If they were closed, when and why did this take place?
Essay Topic 2
Several times in Bleak House Dickens describes the most disgusting and unsanitary conditions of London cemeteries. What were those conditions? Why were they allowed to get to this state? Have they changed? Research the history of London burial grounds and write a detailed essay, using images, if possible.
Essay Topic 3
The issue of suicide is raised several times in Bleak House. Dickens makes it seem almost a common topic of discussion, if not a common occurrence. Try to find some research that sheds light on the suicide rate in England during the 1800s, and see if you can draw any parallels with the economic condition of the country at that time.
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)