|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. It turns out that the deceased Mr. Krook is ___________.
2. George's mother turns out to be ___________.
3. Esther and Mr. Guppy agree that his earlier marriage proposal ___________.
4. Mrs. Snagsby continues to insist that ___________.
5. The debts of Bagnet and George will be forgiven if they ___________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Find two pieces of literary criticism on Bleak House that do not agree with one another. Write an essay that provides your own opinion of the criticisms, whether you agree or disagree with them, and why.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the use of flowers in Bleak House. Dickens employs flowers several times in very specific, symbolic ways. Examine the symbolism and determine if there is a common thread in the instances where flowers appear.
Essay Topic 3
The story of Bleak House includes mistreated, abandoned, ill, homeless, and neglected children. In an essay, address each of these instances. Are they all associated with poverty? What is the point of making unfortunate children such a prominent part of this story?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)