|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. George is thought to have ___________.
2. The debts of Bagnet and George will be forgiven if they ___________.
3. George explains that he gave Hawdon's letter to Tulkinghorn ___________.
4. Esther and Mr. Guppy agree that his earlier marriage proposal ___________.
5. After a friendly dinner at the Bagnets', Mr. Bucket ___________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the use of flowers in Bleak House. Dickens employs flowers several times in very specific, symbolic ways. Examine the symbolism and determine if there is a common thread in the instances where flowers appear.
Essay Topic 2
At one point in Bleak House, Richard Carstone intends to be an MRCS, or "Member of the Royal College of Surgeons." Research this institution and determine whether it still exists and its current status.
Essay Topic 3
Apparently, during Dickens' lifetime, women were still not considered equal to men. Using Bleak House as your basis of research, explore the status of women in the 1800s in England. What clues does this story provide (perhaps unintentionally) about how women were seen and treated?
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)