|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sir Leicester is overwhelmed and suffers from ___________.
2. The outcome of Jarndyce v. Jarndyce is ___________.
3. It turns out that the deceased Mr. Krook is ___________.
4. Esther's illness has resulted in ___________.
5. Lady Dedlock finally reveals to Esther that ___________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story of Bleak House includes mistreated, abandoned, ill, homeless, and neglected children. In an essay, address each of these instances. Are they all associated with poverty? What is the point of making unfortunate children such a prominent part of this story?
Essay Topic 2
At one point in Bleak House, Richard Carstone intends to be an MRCS, or "Member of the Royal College of Surgeons." Research this institution and determine whether it still exists and its current status.
Essay Topic 3
The gap between the rich and poor seems extremely wide in Bleak House. Write an essay, using the story and its characters, that compares and contrasts the poorest with the wealthiest. Also, try to determine where Dickens' sympathy lay when he wrote Bleak House.
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)