|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. We learn that Jo was removed from Esther's care by ___________.
2. Caddy begins to feel better under the care of ___________.
3. When Smallweed takes over Krook's property, he finds ___________.
4. Mr. Vholes wants to let Mr. Jarndyce know about ___________.
5. Esther and Mr. Guppy agree that his earlier marriage proposal ___________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 22 of Bleak House, Mr. Bucket makes reference to the "fever houses" in London. Research the epidemics of typhus and smallpox that swept through England in the 1800s. What was the statistical impact, how were the diseases treated, and how were they brought under control?
Essay Topic 2
Apparently, during Dickens' lifetime, women were still not considered equal to men. Using Bleak House as your basis of research, explore the status of women in the 1800s in England. What clues does this story provide (perhaps unintentionally) about how women were seen and treated?
Essay Topic 3
The story of Bleak House includes mistreated, abandoned, ill, homeless, and neglected children. In an essay, address each of these instances. Are they all associated with poverty? What is the point of making unfortunate children such a prominent part of this story?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)