|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Caddy begins to feel better under the care of ___________.
2. Esther and Mr. Guppy agree that his earlier marriage proposal ___________.
3. Sir Leicester is overwhelmed and suffers from ___________.
4. Vohles assures Richard that ___________.
5. The outcome of Jarndyce v. Jarndyce is ___________.
Essay Topic 1
Find two pieces of literary criticism on Bleak House that do not agree with one another. Write an essay that provides your own opinion of the criticisms, whether you agree or disagree with them, and why.
Essay Topic 2
The Rouncewell family is in the iron business, Mr. Rouncewell being an "ironmaster." Research industrial progress in England in the 1850s, what had been accomplished by that time, and what was in the works. How did industry affect the country, in general, at that time?
Essay Topic 3
Apparently, during Dickens' lifetime, women were still not considered equal to men. Using Bleak House as your basis of research, explore the status of women in the 1800s in England. What clues does this story provide (perhaps unintentionally) about how women were seen and treated?
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)