|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bucket may figures out that Tulkinghorn's murderer is ___________.
2. The childish Mr. Skimpole was paid five pounds ___________.
3. Mr. Bucket, on a search to find Lady Dedlock, is accompanied by ___________.
4. Esther's illness has resulted in ___________.
5. After a friendly dinner at the Bagnets', Mr. Bucket ___________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 22 of Bleak House, Mr. Bucket makes reference to the "fever houses" in London. Research the epidemics of typhus and smallpox that swept through England in the 1800s. What was the statistical impact, how were the diseases treated, and how were they brought under control?
Essay Topic 2
Write a well-researched paper about England's system of currency in the 1800s. Determine the name of each denomination and approximately what it was worth, or what it could buy. When did the system change and why?
Essay Topic 3
Dickens describes Tulkinghorn's funeral as having many empty carriages for absent mourners. Research this practice and write an essay on its origins, its meaning, and its demise.
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)