|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Lady Dedlock's letter to Sir Leicester, she ___________.
2. Sir Leicester makes it clear that ___________.
3. George's mother turns out to be ___________.
4. Esther's illness has resulted in ___________.
5. Mrs. Snagsby is jealous of her husband's contact with ___________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dickens describes Tulkinghorn's funeral as having many empty carriages for absent mourners. Research this practice and write an essay on its origins, its meaning, and its demise.
Essay Topic 2
Write a researched essay about hair powder. The Dedlocks' servants were described as using powder. What was the origin of this practice? From what was it made? What was the societal implication of wearing hair powder? Discuss the taxes levied on hair powder, and the course of its popularity.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 22 of Bleak House, Mr. Bucket makes reference to the "fever houses" in London. Research the epidemics of typhus and smallpox that swept through England in the 1800s. What was the statistical impact, how were the diseases treated, and how were they brought under control?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)