|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Prince Turveydrop's profession is that of ___________.
2. Richard decides to be a lawyer because ___________.
3. Nemo is ___________.
4. The Dedlocks entertain and support several ___________.
5. Mr. Skimpole is ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Volumnia Dedlock? Discuss her role and her physical appearance.
2. Poor Guster, the Snagsbys' maid, is given to seizures. Why does Guster fit in so well with the Snagsbys?
3. Mr. Turveydrop, the elder, is a most unusual person. What exactly is his mental condition? Is he a healthy person? Is Dickens being facetious?
4. Who is Mr. Vholes in this story? What is his role in Richard's life?
5. What is interesting about Smallweed demanding money for the letters he once had in his possession?
6. Describe the relationship between the married Dedlocks, Sir Leicester, and Lady Dedlock.
7. Dickens brings poverty and wealth together to create intrigue in the story's plot. What is young Jo's involvement in the plot and why is he important?
8. The story has turned into a whodunit. Why is lady Dedlock suspected of murdering Mr. Tulkinghorn?
9. With all of his physical and mental deficiencies, why would Grandfather Smallweed make the trip to George's shooting gallery?
10. Explain Vholes' philosophy about the English legal system? Is it moral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Apparently, during Dickens' lifetime, women were still not considered equal to men. Using Bleak House as your basis of research, explore the status of women in the 1800s in England. What clues does this story provide (perhaps unintentionally) about how women were seen and treated?
Essay Topic 2
London's Court of Chancery actually existed at one time. Write a well-researched essay about the Chancery, its structure, its intended purpose and its eventual demise. Can you compare the institution to any that are in existence today?
Essay Topic 3
The Rouncewell family is in the iron business, Mr. Rouncewell being an "ironmaster." Research industrial progress in England in the 1850s, what had been accomplished by that time, and what was in the works. How did industry affect the country, in general, at that time?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)