|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Esther Summerson is raised by ___________.
2. What is Mr. Turveydrop's response to his son's impending wedding ___________.
3. Richard moves into a new apartment near ___________.
4. Mrs. Snagsby, as well as the reader, is unclear at this time about ___________.
5. Seeing Lady Dedlock has the effect of ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Vholes' philosophy about the English legal system? Is it moral?
2. Discuss Krook's Rag and Bottle Shop? Is he a good businessman? Is there anything symbolic about the shop?
3. George has been a wayward son of Mrs. Rouncewell's and has only now reacquainted himself with his brother. What is the new connection between them?
4. What purpose does it serve having Lady Dedlock take a shine to the lovely new maid, Rosa?
5. Who is Miss Flite, and what is her interest? What is the significance of her birds?
6. What is Mrs. Snagsby's problem? What is comical about her behavior at the "improvement" of Jo?
7. Dickens brings poverty and wealth together to create intrigue in the story's plot. What is young Jo's involvement in the plot and why is he important?
8. Why has Chesney Wold become quiet and dismal? How is it different now from before?
9. Discuss Mr. Guppy's pursuit of Esther as he follows her around the city. How would this be viewed today?
10. What is discovered at Krook's that may change the course of the Jarndyce suit, and how does it affect the main characters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point in Bleak House, Richard Carstone intends to be an MRCS, or "Member of the Royal College of Surgeons." Research this institution and determine whether it still exists and its current status.
Essay Topic 2
The story of Bleak House includes mistreated, abandoned, ill, homeless, and neglected children. In an essay, address each of these instances. Are they all associated with poverty? What is the point of making unfortunate children such a prominent part of this story?
Essay Topic 3
The Rouncewell family is in the iron business, Mr. Rouncewell being an "ironmaster." Research industrial progress in England in the 1850s, what had been accomplished by that time, and what was in the works. How did industry affect the country, in general, at that time?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)