|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Dedlocks entertain and support several ___________.
2. Mr. Boythorn comes to Esther proposing ___________.
3. Esther is under the financial care of ___________.
4. Mr. George has visited Grandfather Smallweed regarding ___________.
5. Mr. Smallweed is seeking a sample of ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. what is to become of Krook's Rag and Bottle house, now that he has died? Is its disposition a surprise?
2. What is the significance of the "beadle" arriving at Nemo's death scene if any? What is the beadle?
3. Explain Vholes' philosophy about the English legal system? Is it moral?
4. Why does Mr. Guppy so easily agree that his marriage proposal to Esther is now moot?
5. Why has Chesney Wold become quiet and dismal? How is it different now from before?
6. Mr. Turveydrop, the elder, is a most unusual person. What exactly is his mental condition? Is he a healthy person? Is Dickens being facetious?
7. George has been a wayward son of Mrs. Rouncewell's and has only now reacquainted himself with his brother. What is the new connection between them?
8. Who is Mr. Vholes in this story? What is his role in Richard's life?
9. Discuss Mr. Guppy's pursuit of Esther as he follows her around the city. How would this be viewed today?
10. What seems to be the underlying reason for the officer's suspicions about Jo? Can Jo be compared to our homeless population toady?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a researched essay about hair powder. The Dedlocks' servants were described as using powder. What was the origin of this practice? From what was it made? What was the societal implication of wearing hair powder? Discuss the taxes levied on hair powder, and the course of its popularity.
Essay Topic 2
The gap between the rich and poor seems extremely wide in Bleak House. Write an essay, using the story and its characters, that compares and contrasts the poorest with the wealthiest. Also, try to determine where Dickens' sympathy lay when he wrote Bleak House.
Essay Topic 3
Write a well-researched paper about England's system of currency in the 1800s. Determine the name of each denomination and approximately what it was worth, or what it could buy. When did the system change and why?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)