|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jo's money was given to him by a female servant who ___________.
(a) Wanted to help Joe.
(b) Was actualy a man in disguise.
(c) Was searching for clues.
(d) Was actually Lady Dedlock.
2. Although Mr. George has a sample of handwriting sought by Smallweed, ___________.
(a) He give it to his wife.
(b) He locks it in a safe.
(c) He stashes it in the bushes.
(d) He hides it in his vest.
3. The old Mr. Turveydrop is completely focused on ___________.
(a) London's good taste.
(b) His son's profession.
(c) His deportment.
(d) His speech.
4. Tulkinghorn wants to find out ___________.
(a) Where the original will is located.
(b) Who copied Lady Dedlock's affidavit.
(c) Where Snagsby has stored the affidavit.
(d) Where Lady Dedlock keeps her papers.
5. The marriage between young Rouncewell and Rosa is nixed because ___________.
(a) They are too uneducated.
(b) They need to find better careers.
(c) They are from unequal social classes.
(d) Rosa is too wild.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is notable about the children at Tom's All-alone?
2. Mr. George has visited Grandfather Smallweed regarding ___________.
3. Tulkinghorn informs Lady Dedlock that ___________.
4. Mr. Skimpole is ___________.
5. Richard decides to be a lawyer because ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. With all of his physical and mental deficiencies, why would Grandfather Smallweed make the trip to George's shooting gallery?
2. Describe the relationship between the married Dedlocks, Sir Leicester, and Lady Dedlock.
3. What is the significance of the "beadle" arriving at Nemo's death scene if any? What is the beadle?
4. Mr. Turveydrop, the elder, is a most unusual person. What exactly is his mental condition? Is he a healthy person? Is Dickens being facetious?
5. Who is Mr. Vholes in this story? What is his role in Richard's life?
6. Richard Carstone has a strange way of seeing money. How does Esther illustrate his propensity to rationalize his spending?
7. Discuss Krook's Rag and Bottle Shop? Is he a good businessman? Is there anything symbolic about the shop?
8. Why does Mr. Guppy so easily agree that his marriage proposal to Esther is now moot?
9. What foreshadows a relationship between Woodcourt and Esther in this chapter?
10. What is interesting about Smallweed demanding money for the letters he once had in his possession?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)