|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Miss Flite's primary interest is in ___________.
(b) Jarndyce & Jarndyce.
2. What is the only thing the Jarndyce suit hasn't ruined, according to Gridley?
(a) Jo's good humor.
(b) The family feeling at Tom's All-alone.
(c) His general health.
(d) His relationship with Miss Flite.
3. Discouraged by the law, Richard decides to ___________.
(b) Join the military.
(c) Become an artist.
(d) Live in quiet desperation.
4. Richard decides to be a lawyer because ___________.
(a) He is truly talented in the law.
(b) He wants to extort money from Kenge.
(c) It's the only thing he knows.
(d) He wants to get involved in Jarndyce & Jarndyce.
5. Mrs. Pardigle is focused on ___________.
(a) Her charity work.
(b) Her legal problems.
(c) Her household.
(d) Her children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although Mr. George has a sample of handwriting sought by Smallweed, ___________.
2. The old Mr. Turveydrop is completely focused on ___________.
3. Mr. Skimpole's landlord has taken away Skimpole's ___________.
4. Esther feels Richard is far too ___________.
5. Jarndyce and Jarndyce is the ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. what is to become of Krook's Rag and Bottle house, now that he has died? Is its disposition a surprise?
2. Discuss the fact that Dickens' culprit turns out to be Mademoiselle Hortense. Why did he not choose a different character?
3. Describe the relationship between the married Dedlocks, Sir Leicester, and Lady Dedlock.
4. What seems to be the underlying reason for the officer's suspicions about Jo? Can Jo be compared to our homeless population toady?
5. Why does Mr. Guppy so easily agree that his marriage proposal to Esther is now moot?
6. Discuss Mr. Gridley's role in the story, Bleak House. What is his relationship to Miss Flite?
7. What purpose does it serve having Lady Dedlock take a shine to the lovely new maid, Rosa?
8. The story has turned into a whodunit. Why is lady Dedlock suspected of murdering Mr. Tulkinghorn?
9. What is the significance of the "beadle" arriving at Nemo's death scene if any? What is the beadle?
10. What is the reader's impression of detective Bucket? How does Dickens accomplish his portrayal of Bucket?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)