|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Miss Flite resides at ___________.
(a) Rag and Bottle House.
(b) The Coavinses' house.
(d) Chesney Wold.
2. Why does George visit Mr. and Mrs. Bagnet?
(a) For advice on whether to turn over Hawdon's writing sample.
(b) To let them in on the secret Tulkinghorn is hiding.
(c) To ask for a place to stay for a while.
(d) To discuss the finer points of music.
3. Jarndyce and Jarndyce is the ___________.
(a) A huge book with questionable copyrights.
(b) Longest running lawsuit in the Chancery.
(c) A boring and tedious set of treaties.
(d) A story that is passed down through the generations.
4. Mr. Snagsby, by trade, is ___________.
(a) A law stationer.
(b) A clothing merchant.
(c) A law clerk in the Chancer.
(d) A deli shop owner.
5. Lady Dedlock faints when she ___________.
(a) Becomes overwhelmed by the smog.
(b) Recognizes the handwriting on an affidavit.
(c) Sees the extent of the lawsuit.
(d) Learns the status of Jarndyce and Jarndyce.
Short Answer Questions
1. Esther Summerson is raised by ___________.
2. Richard decides to be a lawyer because ___________.
3. Richard moves into a new apartment near ___________.
4. Wy does Guppy want to get Esther tied into the Jarndyce case?
5. Guppy assumes that Tulkinghorn's comments are in reference to ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Lady Dedlock's past such a dreaded secret? Why do they go to such lengths to hide it and why is it threatening to have it revealed by Tulkinghorn?
2. What is the purpose of the Ghost Walk?
3. Discuss the fact that Dickens' culprit turns out to be Mademoiselle Hortense. Why did he not choose a different character?
4. How likely is it that Mr. Jarndyce would simply bow out and suggest Esther marry Woodcourt? Is this just common courtesy or this time in England?
5. What is Mr. Guppy's interest in revealing the connection between Esther and Lady Dedlock? Why does he persist in getting involved?
6. What is the reader's impression of detective Bucket? How does Dickens accomplish his portrayal of Bucket?
7. How does Jo affect Dickens' story? Is he a sympathetic character?
8. What is discovered at Krook's that may change the course of the Jarndyce suit, and how does it affect the main characters?
9. Who is Volumnia Dedlock? Discuss her role and her physical appearance.
10. What is Mrs. Snagsby's problem? What is comical about her behavior at the "improvement" of Jo?
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)