|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Lady Dedlock's letter to Sir Leicester, she ___________.
(a) Exposes Tulkinghorn's seedy past
(b) Admits guilt for the offenses other than murder.
(c) Informs him that Bucket is out to get her
(d) Tells him she is innocent of all accusations.
2. Caddy begins to feel better under the care of ___________.
(b) Mr. Jarndyce.
(c) Mr. Woodcourt.
(d) Lady Dedlock.
3. Sadly, Esther learns that Ada ___________.
(a) Is married to Richard.
(b) Is tired of Richard.
(c) Is jealous of Jarndyce.
(d) Is terminally ill.
4. Richard's money continues to flow to ___________.
5. Since Richard's death, Ada ___________.
(a) Is under Esther's care.
(b) Is having several more children.
(c) Has taken to staying in bed.
(d) Is seeing Mr. Jarndyce.
6. Vohles assures Richard that ___________.
(a) He knows all about Lady Dedlock.
(b) His prospects for winning the suit are good.
(c) His fees will be exorbitant.
(d) He will be sorry for being involved in the suit.
7. Sir Leicester makes it clear that ___________.
(a) He will never get over his wife's betrayal.
(b) He hopes Lady Dedlock stays away.
(c) He has totally forgiven Lady Dedlock.
(d) He wishes Mrs. Rouncwell were his wife.
8. Tulkinghorn tells a story that reveals ___________.
(a) Lady Dedlock's secret.
(b) Mr. Guppy's whereabouts.
(c) His own political views.
(d) The ruination of England.
9. Esther is afraid that Miss Barbary rejected Boythorn because ___________.
(a) She was in love with Mr. Jarndyce.
(b) She needed to raise Esther for her sister.
(c) She had someone better in mind.
(d) Esther made her leave him
10. It turns out that the deceased Mr. Krook is ___________.
(a) Ms. Flite's best friend.
(b) Mr. Tulkinghorn's brother.
(c) Grandmother Smallweed's brother.
(d) Mr. Guppy's father-in-law.
11. Mrs. Snagsby is jealous of her husband's contact with ___________.
(a) Mademoiselle Hortense.
(b) Lady Dedlock.
(c) Ms. Barbary.
12. The debts of Bagnet and George will be forgiven if they ___________.
(a) Agree never to see one another again.
(b) Be good to their mothers.
(c) Will withdraw from the legal action.
(d) Turn over the mysterious papers to Tulkinghorn.
13. After a friendly dinner at the Bagnets', Mr. Bucket ___________.
(a) Decides that George is a friend.
(b) Surprises George by arresting him.
(c) Breaks the bad news about Jo.
(d) Learns to play the fife.
14. Miss Flite makes Richard her executor because of his ___________.
(a) Presence at the Chancery.
(b) Impending illness.
(c) Wealth and status.
(d) Relationship with Vholes.
15. Esther happily receives a proposal of marriage from ___________.
(a) Sir Leicester.
(b) Mr. Skimpole.
(c) Mr. Jarndyce.
(d) Mr. Woodcourt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Vholes wants to let Mr. Jarndyce know about ___________.
2. Esther and Mr. Guppy agree that his earlier marriage proposal ___________.
3. Lady Dedlock finally reveals to Esther that ___________.
4. Mr. Jarndyce turns Esther over to Woodcourt and again becomes ___________.
5. Esther's illness has resulted in ___________.
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)