|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tulkinghorn, who vows to reveal Lady Dedlock's secret, is ___________.
(a) Missing and nowhere to be found.
(b) Secretly in love with her.
(c) Finished with the family.
(d) Shot through the heart.
2. After many years, George meets with ___________.
(a) His sister.
(b) His brother.
(c) His nephew.
(d) His son.
3. After a friendly dinner at the Bagnets', Mr. Bucket ___________.
(a) Breaks the bad news about Jo.
(b) Surprises George by arresting him.
(c) Decides that George is a friend.
(d) Learns to play the fife.
4. Richard is again obsessed with ___________.
(b) The Jarnyce lawsuit.
5. Esther is afraid that Miss Barbary rejected Boythorn because ___________.
(a) She needed to raise Esther for her sister.
(b) She had someone better in mind.
(c) She was in love with Mr. Jarndyce.
(d) Esther made her leave him
6. Sir Leicester makes it clear that ___________.
(a) He will never get over his wife's betrayal.
(b) He hopes Lady Dedlock stays away.
(c) He has totally forgiven Lady Dedlock.
(d) He wishes Mrs. Rouncwell were his wife.
7. Staying at Boythorn's country house, Esther ___________.
(a) Cares for Caddy Jellyby.
(b) Misses Mr. Jarndyce.
(c) Wishes Richard would return.
(d) Finally sees her scarred face.
8. It turns out that the deceased Mr. Krook is ___________.
(a) Mr. Guppy's father-in-law.
(b) Mr. Tulkinghorn's brother.
(c) Ms. Flite's best friend.
(d) Grandmother Smallweed's brother.
9. Mr. Vholes wants to let Mr. Jarndyce know about ___________.
(a) Richards new inheritance.
(b) Richard's decision to stop pursing the lawsuit.
(c) Richard's dismal financial situation.
(d) Ada's offer to Richard.
10. Vohles assures Richard that ___________.
(a) His prospects for winning the suit are good.
(b) He will be sorry for being involved in the suit.
(c) His fees will be exorbitant.
(d) He knows all about Lady Dedlock.
11. Lady Dedlock's body is found by Esther and Mr. Bucket ___________.
(a) In Tom's All-alone.
(b) In the cemetery.
(c) In Chancery Lane.
(d) In Snagsby's house.
12. What Hortense wants from Mr. Tulkinghorn is ___________.
(a) For him to get her a new job.
(b) To be married to him.
(c) For him to pay her more money.
(d) To raise her place in society.
13. The debts of Bagnet and George will be forgiven if they ___________.
(a) Agree never to see one another again.
(b) Will withdraw from the legal action.
(c) Turn over the mysterious papers to Tulkinghorn.
(d) Be good to their mothers.
14. Esther learns that Mr. Woodcourt ___________.
(a) Dislikes Mr. Jarndyce.
(b) Still loves her.
(c) Loves his wife.
(d) Adopted Jo.
15. Esther and Mr. Guppy agree that his earlier marriage proposal ___________.
(a) Was based on money.
(b) Was doomed.
(c) Is null and void.
(d) Was disingenuous.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Snagsby is jealous of her husband's contact with ___________.
2. Tulkinghorn tells a story that reveals ___________.
3. Esther happily receives a proposal of marriage from ___________.
4. Miss Flite makes Richard her executor because of his ___________.
5. When Smallweed takes over Krook's property, he finds ___________.
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)