|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Staying at Boythorn's country house, Esther ___________.
(a) Finally sees her scarred face.
(b) Cares for Caddy Jellyby.
(c) Misses Mr. Jarndyce.
(d) Wishes Richard would return.
2. The childish Mr. Skimpole was paid five pounds ___________.
(a) By Richard for introducing him to Mr. Vhole.
(b) From Leicester as wages.
(c) By Esther to keep Richard away from the lawsuit.
(d) By Mr. Jarndyce to stay away from Richard.
3. Lady Dedlock's body is found by Esther and Mr. Bucket ___________.
(a) In the cemetery.
(b) In Chancery Lane.
(c) In Tom's All-alone.
(d) In Snagsby's house.
4. Esther and Mr. Guppy agree that his earlier marriage proposal ___________.
(a) Was doomed.
(b) Is null and void.
(c) Was based on money.
(d) Was disingenuous.
5. The outcome of Jarndyce v. Jarndyce is ___________.
(a) Miss Flite has inherited it all.
(b) The entire estate has been left to Mr. Jarndyce.
(c) Richard has inherited everything.
(d) The entire estate is swallowed up in costs.
6. Sir Leicester makes it clear that ___________.
(a) He wishes Mrs. Rouncwell were his wife.
(b) He hopes Lady Dedlock stays away.
(c) He has totally forgiven Lady Dedlock.
(d) He will never get over his wife's betrayal.
7. Lady Dedlock finally reveals to Esther that ___________.
(a) She is Charley's mother.
(b) She is Esther's mother.
(c) She is Jo's mother.
(d) Tulkinghorn is related to her.
8. In Lady Dedlock's letter to Sir Leicester, she ___________.
(a) Exposes Tulkinghorn's seedy past
(b) Informs him that Bucket is out to get her
(c) Admits guilt for the offenses other than murder.
(d) Tells him she is innocent of all accusations.
9. We learn that Jo was removed from Esther's care by ___________.
(d) Mr. Bucket.
10. Mrs. Snagsby continues to insist that ___________.
(a) Mr. Snagsby is having an affair.
(b) She is the murderer.
(c) She knows the real murderer.
(d) She has been wronged by everyone.
11. Mr. Jarndyce turns Esther over to Woodcourt and again becomes ___________.
(a) Her suitor.
(b) Her father figure and guardian.
(c) Her best friend.
(d) Her lawyer.
12. Mr. Vholes wants to let Mr. Jarndyce know about ___________.
(a) Richards new inheritance.
(b) Ada's offer to Richard.
(c) Richard's dismal financial situation.
(d) Richard's decision to stop pursing the lawsuit.
13. Sir Leicester is overwhelmed and suffers from ___________.
(b) A stroke.
(c) A fit of laughing.
(d) A broken leg.
14. The debts of Bagnet and George will be forgiven if they ___________.
(a) Will withdraw from the legal action.
(b) Agree never to see one another again.
(c) Be good to their mothers.
(d) Turn over the mysterious papers to Tulkinghorn.
15. What Hortense wants from Mr. Tulkinghorn is ___________.
(a) To be married to him.
(b) For him to pay her more money.
(c) For him to get her a new job.
(d) To raise her place in society.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tulkinghorn advise Lady Dedlock ___________.
2. Mr. Woodcourt wants to help ___________.
3. When Smallweed takes over Krook's property, he finds ___________.
4. Sadly, Esther learns that Ada ___________.
5. Richard is again obsessed with ___________.
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)