|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. George explains that he gave Hawdon's letter to Tulkinghorn ___________.
(a) Without thinking.
(b) To extort money.
(c) As a writing sample.
(d) As a secret pact.
2. George refuses to get a lawyer and wants to defend himself because ___________.
(a) He knows he will have to lie.
(b) He knows who murdered Tulkinghorn.
(c) He knows no one believes him.
(d) He knows he is innocent.
3. George is thought to have ___________.
(a) Robbed the Bagnets.
(b) Betrayed Sir Leicester.
(c) Murdered Mr. Tulkinghorn.
(d) Betrayed young Jo.
4. Tulkinghorn, who vows to reveal Lady Dedlock's secret, is ___________.
(a) Finished with the family.
(b) Shot through the heart.
(c) Missing and nowhere to be found.
(d) Secretly in love with her.
5. Mr. Jarndyce turns Esther over to Woodcourt and again becomes ___________.
(a) Her father figure and guardian.
(b) Her best friend.
(c) Her suitor.
(d) Her lawyer.
6. Vohles assures Richard that ___________.
(a) His prospects for winning the suit are good.
(b) His fees will be exorbitant.
(c) He will be sorry for being involved in the suit.
(d) He knows all about Lady Dedlock.
7. When Smallweed takes over Krook's property, he finds ___________.
(a) An affidavit.
(b) An older will.
(c) A new will.
(d) A lost contract.
8. Mr. Vholes wants to let Mr. Jarndyce know about ___________.
(a) Richard's dismal financial situation.
(b) Richard's decision to stop pursing the lawsuit.
(c) Ada's offer to Richard.
(d) Richards new inheritance.
9. The childish Mr. Skimpole was paid five pounds ___________.
(a) By Mr. Jarndyce to stay away from Richard.
(b) From Leicester as wages.
(c) By Richard for introducing him to Mr. Vhole.
(d) By Esther to keep Richard away from the lawsuit.
10. Esther is afraid that Miss Barbary rejected Boythorn because ___________.
(a) She was in love with Mr. Jarndyce.
(b) Esther made her leave him
(c) She had someone better in mind.
(d) She needed to raise Esther for her sister.
11. Mrs. Snagsby is jealous of her husband's contact with ___________.
(a) Ms. Barbary.
(b) Mademoiselle Hortense.
(d) Lady Dedlock.
12. Sir Leicester is overwhelmed and suffers from ___________.
(a) A broken leg.
(c) A stroke.
(d) A fit of laughing.
13. What Hortense wants from Mr. Tulkinghorn is ___________.
(a) To raise her place in society.
(b) To be married to him.
(c) For him to pay her more money.
(d) For him to get her a new job.
14. Life at Chesney Wold has become ___________.
(b) Lively and busy.
(c) Quiet and apathetic.
(d) Serene and pleasant.
15. Staying at Boythorn's country house, Esther ___________.
(a) Misses Mr. Jarndyce.
(b) Wishes Richard would return.
(c) Cares for Caddy Jellyby.
(d) Finally sees her scarred face.
Short Answer Questions
1. Esther's illness has resulted in ___________.
2. Tulkinghorn advise Lady Dedlock ___________.
3. Mr. Bucket, on a search to find Lady Dedlock, is accompanied by ___________.
4. Caddy begins to feel better under the care of ___________.
5. Mrs. Snagsby continues to insist that ___________.
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)