|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mr. Bucket, on a search to find Lady Dedlock, is accompanied by ___________.
(a) Mrs. Snagsby.
(b) Mrs. Bucket.
2. George refuses to get a lawyer and wants to defend himself because ___________.
(a) He knows no one believes him.
(b) He knows he is innocent.
(c) He knows who murdered Tulkinghorn.
(d) He knows he will have to lie.
3. Tulkinghorn, who vows to reveal Lady Dedlock's secret, is ___________.
(a) Secretly in love with her.
(b) Missing and nowhere to be found.
(c) Shot through the heart.
(d) Finished with the family.
4. Mr. Woodcourt wants to help ___________.
(a) Esther and Mr. Jarndyce.
(b) Jo and Richard.
(c) Tom's All-alone.
(d) Jo and Jenny.
5. Caddy begins to feel better under the care of ___________.
(a) Lady Dedlock.
(b) Mr. Woodcourt.
(c) Mr. Jarndyce.
6. Tulkinghorn tells a story that reveals ___________.
(a) Lady Dedlock's secret.
(b) Mr. Guppy's whereabouts.
(c) The ruination of England.
(d) His own political views.
7. Staying at Boythorn's country house, Esther ___________.
(a) Cares for Caddy Jellyby.
(b) Wishes Richard would return.
(c) Misses Mr. Jarndyce.
(d) Finally sees her scarred face.
8. What Hortense wants from Mr. Tulkinghorn is ___________.
(a) To be married to him.
(b) To raise her place in society.
(c) For him to pay her more money.
(d) For him to get her a new job.
9. Bucket may figures out that Tulkinghorn's murderer is ___________.
(c) Lady Dedlock.
10. In Lady Dedlock's letter to Sir Leicester, she ___________.
(a) Informs him that Bucket is out to get her
(b) Admits guilt for the offenses other than murder.
(c) Tells him she is innocent of all accusations.
(d) Exposes Tulkinghorn's seedy past
11. Lady Dedlock's body is found by Esther and Mr. Bucket ___________.
(a) In Snagsby's house.
(b) In Chancery Lane.
(c) In Tom's All-alone.
(d) In the cemetery.
12. Esther and Mr. Guppy agree that his earlier marriage proposal ___________.
(a) Is null and void.
(b) Was doomed.
(c) Was disingenuous.
(d) Was based on money.
13. Esther's illness has resulted in ___________.
(b) A change to her face.
(c) Permanent blindness.
(d) A new sense of vitality.
14. Sir Leicester is overwhelmed and suffers from ___________.
(b) A broken leg.
(c) A fit of laughing.
(d) A stroke.
15. The childish Mr. Skimpole was paid five pounds ___________.
(a) By Richard for introducing him to Mr. Vhole.
(b) By Mr. Jarndyce to stay away from Richard.
(c) By Esther to keep Richard away from the lawsuit.
(d) From Leicester as wages.
Short Answer Questions
1. The debts of Bagnet and George will be forgiven if they ___________.
2. Mr. Vholes wants to let Mr. Jarndyce know about ___________.
3. After a friendly dinner at the Bagnets', Mr. Bucket ___________.
4. Life at Chesney Wold has become ___________.
5. Esther happily receives a proposal of marriage from ___________.
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)