|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tulkinghorn, who vows to reveal Lady Dedlock's secret, is ___________.
(a) Shot through the heart.
(b) Secretly in love with her.
(c) Finished with the family.
(d) Missing and nowhere to be found.
2. What Hortense wants from Mr. Tulkinghorn is ___________.
(a) For him to get her a new job.
(b) To be married to him.
(c) To raise her place in society.
(d) For him to pay her more money.
3. Staying at Boythorn's country house, Esther ___________.
(a) Finally sees her scarred face.
(b) Misses Mr. Jarndyce.
(c) Cares for Caddy Jellyby.
(d) Wishes Richard would return.
4. It turns out that the deceased Mr. Krook is ___________.
(a) Mr. Guppy's father-in-law.
(b) Grandmother Smallweed's brother.
(c) Ms. Flite's best friend.
(d) Mr. Tulkinghorn's brother.
5. Vohles assures Richard that ___________.
(a) His fees will be exorbitant.
(b) He knows all about Lady Dedlock.
(c) He will be sorry for being involved in the suit.
(d) His prospects for winning the suit are good.
6. Esther is afraid that Miss Barbary rejected Boythorn because ___________.
(a) Esther made her leave him
(b) She needed to raise Esther for her sister.
(c) She had someone better in mind.
(d) She was in love with Mr. Jarndyce.
7. The debts of Bagnet and George will be forgiven if they ___________.
(a) Be good to their mothers.
(b) Turn over the mysterious papers to Tulkinghorn.
(c) Will withdraw from the legal action.
(d) Agree never to see one another again.
8. Mrs. Snagsby continues to insist that ___________.
(a) Mr. Snagsby is having an affair.
(b) She has been wronged by everyone.
(c) She is the murderer.
(d) She knows the real murderer.
9. We learn that Jo was removed from Esther's care by ___________.
(c) Mr. Bucket.
10. Sir Leicester is overwhelmed and suffers from ___________.
(a) A fit of laughing.
(c) A stroke.
(d) A broken leg.
11. The childish Mr. Skimpole was paid five pounds ___________.
(a) By Richard for introducing him to Mr. Vhole.
(b) From Leicester as wages.
(c) By Mr. Jarndyce to stay away from Richard.
(d) By Esther to keep Richard away from the lawsuit.
12. When Smallweed takes over Krook's property, he finds ___________.
(a) An affidavit.
(b) An older will.
(c) A new will.
(d) A lost contract.
13. Richard's money continues to flow to ___________.
14. Esther and Mr. Guppy agree that his earlier marriage proposal ___________.
(a) Is null and void.
(b) Was based on money.
(c) Was doomed.
(d) Was disingenuous.
15. Esther happily receives a proposal of marriage from ___________.
(a) Sir Leicester.
(b) Mr. Skimpole.
(c) Mr. Jarndyce.
(d) Mr. Woodcourt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Richard is again obsessed with ___________.
2. George refuses to get a lawyer and wants to defend himself because ___________.
3. George is thought to have ___________.
4. Tulkinghorn tells a story that reveals ___________.
5. Lady Dedlock finally reveals to Esther that ___________.
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)