|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Esther's illness has resulted in ___________.
(a) A new sense of vitality.
(b) A change to her face.
(d) Permanent blindness.
2. Mr. Jarndyce turns Esther over to Woodcourt and again becomes ___________.
(a) Her father figure and guardian.
(b) Her lawyer.
(c) Her suitor.
(d) Her best friend.
3. After many years, George meets with ___________.
(a) His son.
(b) His sister.
(c) His nephew.
(d) His brother.
4. In Lady Dedlock's letter to Sir Leicester, she ___________.
(a) Exposes Tulkinghorn's seedy past
(b) Tells him she is innocent of all accusations.
(c) Informs him that Bucket is out to get her
(d) Admits guilt for the offenses other than murder.
5. Sadly, Esther learns that Ada ___________.
(a) Is tired of Richard.
(b) Is terminally ill.
(c) Is married to Richard.
(d) Is jealous of Jarndyce.
6. Mr. Vholes wants to let Mr. Jarndyce know about ___________.
(a) Richard's dismal financial situation.
(b) Richards new inheritance.
(c) Richard's decision to stop pursing the lawsuit.
(d) Ada's offer to Richard.
7. George refuses to get a lawyer and wants to defend himself because ___________.
(a) He knows no one believes him.
(b) He knows he will have to lie.
(c) He knows who murdered Tulkinghorn.
(d) He knows he is innocent.
8. After a friendly dinner at the Bagnets', Mr. Bucket ___________.
(a) Surprises George by arresting him.
(b) Breaks the bad news about Jo.
(c) Learns to play the fife.
(d) Decides that George is a friend.
9. When Smallweed takes over Krook's property, he finds ___________.
(a) An affidavit.
(b) An older will.
(c) A lost contract.
(d) A new will.
10. Esther is afraid that Miss Barbary rejected Boythorn because ___________.
(a) She had someone better in mind.
(b) She was in love with Mr. Jarndyce.
(c) She needed to raise Esther for her sister.
(d) Esther made her leave him
11. Tulkinghorn, who vows to reveal Lady Dedlock's secret, is ___________.
(a) Finished with the family.
(b) Missing and nowhere to be found.
(c) Secretly in love with her.
(d) Shot through the heart.
12. It turns out that the deceased Mr. Krook is ___________.
(a) Grandmother Smallweed's brother.
(b) Ms. Flite's best friend.
(c) Mr. Guppy's father-in-law.
(d) Mr. Tulkinghorn's brother.
13. Richard is again obsessed with ___________.
(a) The Jarnyce lawsuit.
14. The outcome of Jarndyce v. Jarndyce is ___________.
(a) Richard has inherited everything.
(b) The entire estate has been left to Mr. Jarndyce.
(c) The entire estate is swallowed up in costs.
(d) Miss Flite has inherited it all.
15. Mr. Woodcourt wants to help ___________.
(a) Tom's All-alone.
(b) Jo and Jenny.
(c) Esther and Mr. Jarndyce.
(d) Jo and Richard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tulkinghorn tells a story that reveals ___________.
2. Lady Dedlock's body is found by Esther and Mr. Bucket ___________.
3. Esther happily receives a proposal of marriage from ___________.
4. Miss Flite makes Richard her executor because of his ___________.
5. Lady Dedlock finally reveals to Esther that ___________.
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)