|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Lady Dedlock's letter to Sir Leicester, she ___________.
(a) Informs him that Bucket is out to get her
(b) Admits guilt for the offenses other than murder.
(c) Tells him she is innocent of all accusations.
(d) Exposes Tulkinghorn's seedy past
2. Esther learns that Mr. Woodcourt ___________.
(a) Dislikes Mr. Jarndyce.
(b) Still loves her.
(c) Adopted Jo.
(d) Loves his wife.
3. Ada gives birth to a baby boy, while Esther has ___________.
(a) Two daughters.
(b) Twin sons.
(c) Two sons.
(d) One daughter.
4. Caddy begins to feel better under the care of ___________.
(a) Lady Dedlock.
(b) Mr. Woodcourt.
(d) Mr. Jarndyce.
5. George explains that he gave Hawdon's letter to Tulkinghorn ___________.
(a) Without thinking.
(b) As a secret pact.
(c) As a writing sample.
(d) To extort money.
6. We learn that Jo was removed from Esther's care by ___________.
(a) Mr. Bucket.
7. The childish Mr. Skimpole was paid five pounds ___________.
(a) By Esther to keep Richard away from the lawsuit.
(b) From Leicester as wages.
(c) By Richard for introducing him to Mr. Vhole.
(d) By Mr. Jarndyce to stay away from Richard.
8. Mr. Jarndyce turns Esther over to Woodcourt and again becomes ___________.
(a) Her lawyer.
(b) Her best friend.
(c) Her suitor.
(d) Her father figure and guardian.
9. George's mother turns out to be ___________.
(a) Mrs. Rouncewell.
(b) Mrs. Snagsby.
(c) Lady Dedlock.
10. Tulkinghorn tells a story that reveals ___________.
(a) Lady Dedlock's secret.
(b) His own political views.
(c) The ruination of England.
(d) Mr. Guppy's whereabouts.
11. When Smallweed takes over Krook's property, he finds ___________.
(a) A lost contract.
(b) An older will.
(c) A new will.
(d) An affidavit.
12. Esther and Mr. Guppy agree that his earlier marriage proposal ___________.
(a) Is null and void.
(b) Was disingenuous.
(c) Was based on money.
(d) Was doomed.
13. George refuses to get a lawyer and wants to defend himself because ___________.
(a) He knows he will have to lie.
(b) He knows no one believes him.
(c) He knows who murdered Tulkinghorn.
(d) He knows he is innocent.
14. Mrs. Snagsby is jealous of her husband's contact with ___________.
(a) Ms. Barbary.
(b) Lady Dedlock.
(d) Mademoiselle Hortense.
15. George is thought to have ___________.
(a) Betrayed young Jo.
(b) Robbed the Bagnets.
(c) Murdered Mr. Tulkinghorn.
(d) Betrayed Sir Leicester.
Short Answer Questions
1. Life at Chesney Wold has become ___________.
2. What Hortense wants from Mr. Tulkinghorn is ___________.
3. Vohles assures Richard that ___________.
4. Mr. Woodcourt wants to help ___________.
5. Richard is again obsessed with ___________.
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)