|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mr. Jarndyce turns Esther over to Woodcourt and again becomes ___________.
(a) Her best friend.
(b) Her suitor.
(c) Her father figure and guardian.
(d) Her lawyer.
2. Lady Dedlock's body is found by Esther and Mr. Bucket ___________.
(a) In Chancery Lane.
(b) In Tom's All-alone.
(c) In the cemetery.
(d) In Snagsby's house.
3. The outcome of Jarndyce v. Jarndyce is ___________.
(a) Miss Flite has inherited it all.
(b) Richard has inherited everything.
(c) The entire estate is swallowed up in costs.
(d) The entire estate has been left to Mr. Jarndyce.
4. Life at Chesney Wold has become ___________.
(a) Quiet and apathetic.
(c) Lively and busy.
(d) Serene and pleasant.
5. Esther learns that Mr. Woodcourt ___________.
(a) Dislikes Mr. Jarndyce.
(b) Loves his wife.
(c) Adopted Jo.
(d) Still loves her.
6. Mrs. Snagsby is jealous of her husband's contact with ___________.
(b) Ms. Barbary.
(c) Mademoiselle Hortense.
(d) Lady Dedlock.
7. George explains that he gave Hawdon's letter to Tulkinghorn ___________.
(a) As a writing sample.
(b) Without thinking.
(c) To extort money.
(d) As a secret pact.
8. In Lady Dedlock's letter to Sir Leicester, she ___________.
(a) Admits guilt for the offenses other than murder.
(b) Tells him she is innocent of all accusations.
(c) Exposes Tulkinghorn's seedy past
(d) Informs him that Bucket is out to get her
9. When Smallweed takes over Krook's property, he finds ___________.
(a) A new will.
(b) An affidavit.
(c) An older will.
(d) A lost contract.
10. Miss Flite makes Richard her executor because of his ___________.
(a) Wealth and status.
(b) Presence at the Chancery.
(c) Impending illness.
(d) Relationship with Vholes.
11. Mr. Bucket, on a search to find Lady Dedlock, is accompanied by ___________.
(a) Mrs. Bucket.
(c) Mrs. Snagsby.
12. Ada gives birth to a baby boy, while Esther has ___________.
(a) Two daughters.
(b) Twin sons.
(c) Two sons.
(d) One daughter.
13. Staying at Boythorn's country house, Esther ___________.
(a) Misses Mr. Jarndyce.
(b) Wishes Richard would return.
(c) Finally sees her scarred face.
(d) Cares for Caddy Jellyby.
14. Esther happily receives a proposal of marriage from ___________.
(a) Mr. Skimpole.
(b) Mr. Woodcourt.
(c) Mr. Jarndyce.
(d) Sir Leicester.
15. What Hortense wants from Mr. Tulkinghorn is ___________.
(a) For him to pay her more money.
(b) To raise her place in society.
(c) To be married to him.
(d) For him to get her a new job.
Short Answer Questions
1. Vohles assures Richard that ___________.
2. Sir Leicester is overwhelmed and suffers from ___________.
3. Sadly, Esther learns that Ada ___________.
4. Richard is again obsessed with ___________.
5. George's mother turns out to be ___________.
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)