|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has become of the inheritance which is the issue of the Jarndyce lawsuit?
(a) It has been consumed by costs.
(b) It has been siezed by the lawyers.
(c) It has been distributed among relatives.
(d) It never existed.
2. Mr. Boythorn comes to Esther proposing ___________.
(c) A loan of money.
(d) A business partnership.
3. Discouraged by the law, Richard decides to ___________.
(b) Become an artist.
(c) Join the military.
(d) Live in quiet desperation.
4. A developing theme implies that ___________.
(a) People cannot see the forest for the trees.
(b) Justice reigns supreme.
(c) The human condition is healthy and thriving.
(d) Love is all we need.
5. Jo's money was given to him by a female servant who ___________.
(a) Wanted to help Joe.
(b) Was actually Lady Dedlock.
(c) Was actualy a man in disguise.
(d) Was searching for clues.
6. Although Mr. George has a sample of handwriting sought by Smallweed, ___________.
(a) He locks it in a safe.
(b) He hides it in his vest.
(c) He stashes it in the bushes.
(d) He give it to his wife.
7. What is the Man From Shrophsire's basic problem?
(a) His brother's good fortune.
(b) Prisoner's remorse.
(c) His anger over his parents.
(d) His rage against the system.
8. Mr. Bucket comes in disguise to arrest ___________.
(a) Mr. Jarndyce.
(b) Mrs. Snagsby.
(c) Mr. Gridley.
(d) Miss Flite.
9. Sir Liecester sees his gout condition as ___________.
(b) A demon with royal blood.
(c) A demon of the Patrician order.
(d) A curse.
10. Esther's attitude toward Jarndyce is one of ___________.
11. Mrs. Rouncewell is ___________.
(a) A guest of Tony Jobling.
(b) A mother of daughters.
(c) Mr. Skimpole's housekeeper.
(d) Mr. Dedlock's housekeeper.
12. Sir Leicester takes enormous pride in ___________.
(a) His family.
(b) His lovely paintings.
(c) His business dealings.
(d) His current wife.
13. Tom Jarndyce is ___________.
(a) The grandson of a famous lawyer.
(b) The original litigant in Jarndyce v. Jarndyce.
(c) The victim of murder.
(d) The subject of a class action suit.
14. Mr. Skimpole is ___________.
(a) A friend of Mr. Jarndyce.
(b) Uncle to Miss Jellyby.
(c) Miss Flite's landlord.
(d) Esther's father.
15. Mr.Chadaband delivers a lecture to Jo regarding ___________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Guppy reveals that Nemo's last name, and perhaps Esther's, may be ___________.
2. Seeing Lady Dedlock has the effect of ___________.
3. Esther is to become a governess to ___________.
4. The city of London seems wrapped in a blanket of ___________.
5. The marriage between young Rouncewell and Rosa is nixed because ___________.
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)