* Foggy damp November weather and smokey soot pervade the air over London.
* A hearing in the complex legal case of Jarndyce and Jarndyce is taking place at Lincoln's Inn Hall.
* The original Jarndyce committed suicide years ago and his descendants continue the legal battle over his estate.
* Mr. Tangle, a lawyer devoted to the case, and two litigants, Mr. Flite and Mr. Gridley are introduced. The chancellor decides to send a young girl and boy to live with their uncle.
* Lady Dedlock and Sir Leicester meet their solicitor, Mr. Tulkington, who updates them on on the case.
* Lady Dedlock is shocked when she recognizes the handwriting on one of the affidavits she is reviewing.
* Esther Summerson has been raised by her godmother, whom she learns was really her aunt, and financed by Jarndyce's attorney, Conversation Kenge.
* Esther is expected to be governess to Ada Clare at...
This section contains 2,604 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)