|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anne consider a gift if you have it?
2. A moral position is not a message, but what is it according to Anne?
3. What does Anne say that unpublished writers need?
4. When you are still, and breathing calmly, what can happen, according to Anne?
5. What is one reason Anne wrote the book for her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can breathing calmly affect you when KFKD is playing?
2. Why does Anne encourage her students to write out of vengeance, as long as they do it nicely?
3. How does Anne say someone reading your material can help you?
4. Why does Anne suggest writing a letter when you have run out of ideas of what to do next?
5. How did Anne's article about being a lifelong Giants fan originate?
6. What is the main reason Anne's students want to write?
7. Does Anne consider calling around work?
8. In Part 3, Help Along the Way, Section 1, Index Cards, Anne uses the index cards not only for notes, but in what other way?
9. In Part 4, Section 4, Publication, Anne is humbled by two events. What were they?
10. How should a reviewer respond to your material, according to Anne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anne titles Part 3, "Help Along the Way." This section is filled with helpful ideas to get a writer writing. How can you apply these ideas to your daily life, even if you are not a writer?
Essay Topic 2
Ethan Canin says you should never write out of vengeance, while Anne says you should always write out of vengeance. These are two opposing ideas by two acclaimed writers. Who do you agree with and why?
Essay Topic 3
Anne is encouraged to read all types of writing, such as plays and poetry, as well as all the good books she can get her hands on. How can reading all types of writing expand your material as a writer?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)