|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ultimately helped Anne overcome her jealousy?
2. What are bound galleys?
3. What did Anne's book do for her father?
4. According to Anne, what does being a writer guarantee?
5. What soothes and heals Anne when she is paranoid, jealous, or upset for any reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anne suggest jealousy can be beneficial for a writer?
2. What does Anne say is a major step is in relying on your own intuition?
3. What is the main reason Anne's students want to write?
4. Good things happen to bad writers, mainly, anyone who is not you. Why does this happen according to Anne?
5. According to Anne, how can having a writing group affect you and your work as a writer?
6. Does Anne consider calling around work?
7. In Part 4, Section 4, Publication, Anne is humbled by two events. What were they?
8. Why does Anne suggest writing a letter when you have run out of ideas of what to do next?
9. How should a reviewer respond to your material, according to Anne?
10. What do Annie Dillard and Anne say about giving to your work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jealousy is considered the most difficult voice on KFKD to overcome. Anne is extremely jealous of a writer friend. Anne's therapist tells her that jealousy is a secondary emotion stemming from feeling excluded and deprived, and, if she works on these two emotions, she could break through the jealousy. How do you see Anne being excluded or deprived in her childhood? Do you agree with Anne's therapist's diagnosis? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Anne starts off the last chapter by again encouraging her students to write about their childhood. Why does she place so much emphasis on writing about your childhood? How did we look at the world when we were children? What do you have to gain emotionally from writing about your childhood? What do you have to gain for your future work?
Essay Topic 3
Short assignments and bad first drafts are the most helpful things Anne has to impart about writing. Pick either the short assignment or bad first draft, and explain the motivation, process, and outcome of the task.
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)