|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides going to classes and conferences, what is another way to receive feedback from other writers?
(a) Start a writing group.
(b) Send your work via email to every address you have.
(c) Solicit advice from people you meet at bookstores.
(d) Mail other writers your drafts and hope they respond to you.
2. What does Anne suggest students do when faced with "writer's block?"
(a) Breathe calmly and meditate.
(b) Accept that they are not in a creative period right now, in doing so you free yourself to fill up again.
(c) Accept that they are challenged writers who should take her class again later.
(d) Write about school breakfasts to get the creativeness flowing.
3. According to Anne, what can the writing of an informal letter free you from?
(a) Plot treatments.
4. As a writer, what is very hard for Anne to take?
(b) Dialog in dialect.
(c) Suggestions on new characters.
5. What does Anne say that unpublished writers need?
(a) A good plot treatment.
(b) To be ripped apart for their awful work.
(c) Lots of material on index cards.
(d) Attention and honesty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the best way to quiet KFKD?
2. What Sharon Olds poem does Anne pass out at every class?
3. What is one reason Anne wrote the book for her father?
4. What does Anne say has cosmic importance?
5. According to Anne, what two things can teach you to give of yourself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anne say one's own broccoli can tell them?
2. How does Anne say someone reading your material can help you?
3. Why does Anne have index cards all over her house?
4. Why does Anne suggest writing a letter when you have run out of ideas of what to do next?
5. What has Anne found to be the best ways of dealing with station KFKD?
6. How can breathing calmly affect you when KFKD is playing?
7. What do Annie Dillard and Anne say about giving to your work?
8. What is the main reason Anne's students want to write?
9. What does Anne state is the myth of publication?
10. What are the two things that put Anne in the spirit to give?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)