|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the best thing to do when you have a decision to make and do not know what to do?
(a) Flip a coin.
(b) Sit in a corner with your arms around your knees, and just start rocking back and forth.
(c) Something, anything; making a mistake is better than doing nothing.
(d) Call your mother for advice.
2. Whose work does Anne love to read when it comes out, but regrets that her students start writing like that author?
(a) Isabel Allende.
(b) Gore Vidal.
(c) Arthur C. Clarke.
(d) Dr. Suess.
3. As a writer, what is very hard for Anne to take?
(b) Suggestions on new characters.
(d) Dialog in dialect.
4. What does Anne suggest you do when your mind starts to wander again and again?
(a) Take another nap.
(b) Call a friend again.
(c) Blast heavy-metal music again.
(d) Gently bring your mind back to your work.
5. What are two good reasons cited by Anne for calling around?
(a) People enjoy talking about what they know, and it keeps you from being bored.
(b) People enjoy talking about what they know, and you can consider it.
(c) You can consider it work and double-bill your agent.
(d) It keeps you from being bored, and you can double-bill your agent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ms. Allende's writing style offer to the reader?
2. What does the fourteenth Dalai Lama claim to be his religion?
3. Anne has written two books and a short story as presents. Who were they for?
4. What does Anne believe drives a writer's work?
5. A moral position is not a message, but what is it according to Anne?
Short Essay Questions
1. Six months before Pammy died, her doctor told Anne to watch her carefully. In dying, how was Pammy teaching Anne how to live? What effect has this had on Anne's writing?
2. Why do Anne students sometimes take on the voice of popular writers?
3. What two books did Anne write as gifts and why?
4. How can breathing calmly affect you when KFKD is playing?
5. How did Anne's article about being a lifelong Giants fan originate?
6. What are the two things that put Anne in the spirit to give?
7. What additional benefit results from Anne calling around in search for the name of the wire thing topping champagne bottles?
8. Why does writing matter, according to Anne?
9. What do Annie Dillard and Anne say about giving to your work?
10. What does Anne state is the myth of publication?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)