|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anne consider a most depressing experience?
(b) Writer's block.
(c) Editors not liking your work.
(d) Having so much material you can not write fast enough.
2. According to Anne, what is publication not going to do for you?
(a) Make writing easier for the next novel.
(b) Change your life.
(c) Assist you in writing a screen play.
(d) Help you get over your jealousy.
3. What does Anne sometimes use her index cards for?
(a) Short assignments, to get writing again.
(b) Thought provoking party favors.
(c) Nothing, she throws them all away.
(d) Set design.
4. Besides calling around, what is another way to escape the isolation of writing?
(a) Taking a dancing class.
(b) Joining a meditation group.
(c) Joining a writing class.
(d) Employing a good therapist.
5. How does Anne write at times when she is stuck?
(a) She does not write at all, but goes to the beach instead.
(b) As if she will live forever.
(c) She writes in first person.
(d) As if she was dying tomorrow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Anne get the idea to use broccoli as her intuition?
2. What joy has Anne found in publication?
3. Every writer needs discipline, but what is one way Anne suggests to give yourself a break and still be productive?
4. Where does Anne keep her index cards?
5. What does Anne determine needs to be at the center of your stories?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does writing matter, according to Anne?
2. Good things happen to bad writers, mainly, anyone who is not you. Why does this happen according to Anne?
3. What does Anne state is the myth of publication?
4. In Part 4, Publication and Other Reasons to Write, Section 1, Writing a Present, Anne describes bowling as life at its most immediate. What did she mean by this?
5. What is the main reason Anne's students want to write?
6. Why do Anne students sometimes take on the voice of popular writers?
7. What are some reasons that students attend Anne's writing classes?
8. In Part 3, Help Along the Way, Section 1, Index Cards, Anne uses the index cards not only for notes, but in what other way?
9. What additional benefit results from Anne calling around in search for the name of the wire thing topping champagne bottles?
10. How did Anne's article about being a lifelong Giants fan originate?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)