|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Anne's book do for her father?
(a) It gave him hope to get better.
(b) It gave him an ulcer, because Anne was not a very good writer at this point.
(c) It gave him inspiration to write a book before he died.
(d) Gave him the best possible months before he died and the best death.
2. Where did Anne get the idea to use broccoli as her intuition?
(a) Dr. Suess.
(b) Mel Brooks.
(c) The fourteenth Dalai Lama.
(d) Samuel Goldwyn.
3. What other writing skill did Anne use to write her letter to Sam?
(a) One-inch picture frame.
(c) Calling around.
(d) School lunches.
4. What are bound galleys?
(a) Your manuscript held together by a galley.
(b) A paper-bound book with manuscript set in type.
(c) Where a cook is chained to the kitchen on a ship.
(d) A paper-bound book with food reviews on it.
5. Where did Sam's pastor say is the only place we can find peace?
(a) In our hearts.
(b) In meditation.
(c) In a fortune cookie.
(d) In publication.
Short Answer Questions
1. When you are still, and breathing calmly, what can happen, according to Anne?
2. A moral position is not a message, but what is it according to Anne?
3. What did Anne use to entertain her son, Sam, while he was in the emergency room?
4. KFKD plays in stereo. What does Anne say plays out of the left and right speakers?
5. According to Anne, what can the writing of an informal letter free you from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Good things happen to bad writers, mainly, anyone who is not you. Why does this happen according to Anne?
2. In Part 4, Section 4, Publication, Anne is humbled by two events. What were they?
3. What two books did Anne write as gifts and why?
4. What does Anne state is the myth of publication?
5. What does Anne say one's own broccoli can tell them?
6. What do Annie Dillard and Anne say about giving to your work?
7. Anne states that writers strive to tell the truth. Can truth be told as a one-liner on a bumper sticker?
8. What is the main reason Anne's students want to write?
9. Why does Anne encourage her students to write out of vengeance, as long as they do it nicely?
10. How does Anne suggest jealousy can be beneficial for a writer?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)