|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides going to classes and conferences, what is another way to receive feedback from other writers?
(a) Start a writing group.
(b) Mail other writers your drafts and hope they respond to you.
(c) Send your work via email to every address you have.
(d) Solicit advice from people you meet at bookstores.
2. What is the best thing to do when you have a decision to make and do not know what to do?
(a) Something, anything; making a mistake is better than doing nothing.
(b) Sit in a corner with your arms around your knees, and just start rocking back and forth.
(c) Call your mother for advice.
(d) Flip a coin.
3. What Sharon Olds poem does Anne pass out at every class?
(a) I Go Back to May 1937.
(b) The Winds Carried Me.
(c) I Write.
4. According to Anne, what can the writing of an informal letter free you from?
(b) Plot treatments.
5. Secretly, why do some people attend Anne's writing class?
(a) To socialize.
(b) In hopes she will love their writing and send it to her agent.
(c) To become her friend.
(d) To learn how to write better.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Anne, what should our stories encompass?
2. How does Anne suggest finding a partner to read your work?
3. Every writer needs discipline, but what is one way Anne suggests to give yourself a break and still be productive?
4. What does Anne suggest you do when your mind starts to wander again and again?
5. What does Anne state that financial success guarantees a writer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anne suggest jealousy can be beneficial for a writer?
2. What has Anne found to be the best ways of dealing with station KFKD?
3. What additional benefit results from Anne calling around in search for the name of the wire thing topping champagne bottles?
4. In Part 4, Publication and Other Reasons to Write, Section 1, Writing a Present, Anne describes bowling as life at its most immediate. What did she mean by this?
5. According to Anne, how can having a writing group affect you and your work as a writer?
6. Why does Anne have index cards all over her house?
7. What does Anne say is a major step is in relying on your own intuition?
8. What does Anne say one's own broccoli can tell them?
9. Why does Anne encourage her students to write out of vengeance, as long as they do it nicely?
10. How can breathing calmly affect you when KFKD is playing?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)