|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the way to the truth, your truth, according to Anne?
(a) Meditation and expensive therapy.
(b) Writing as someone else would.
(c) To go through your anger, damage, and grief.
(d) Endure time alone with your thoguhts.
2. From what assignment did Anne end up writing a letter to her son?
(a) Essay about being a life-long Giants fan.
(b) Essay about San Francisco.
(c) There was no assignment, she just wanted to write a letter to her son.
(d) Essay about baseball.
3. What voice does Anne say is the real and true voice of a writer?
(a) Their own voice.
(b) The broccoli voice.
(c) Another writer's voice.
(d) The voice playing on KFKD.
4. When you are stuck in your writing, but you can not leave it alone, what is something Anne suggests to try?
(a) Go ahead and take a break, make a phone call.
(b) Writing part of a character's history in a one-inch picture frame.
(c) Writing part of a character's history in the form of a letter.
(d) Write the same word over and over, noticing every letter and the sound it makes.
5. How does Anne write at times when she is stuck?
(a) She does not write at all, but goes to the beach instead.
(b) As if she will live forever.
(c) As if she was dying tomorrow.
(d) She writes in first person.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Anne have after a full day of calling around?
2. According to Anne, what is publication not going to do for you?
3. What did Jean Rhys write about the success of writers?
4. According to Anne, becoming a writer is about becoming ________.
5. According to Anne, your unconscious cannot work when this is going on.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Annie Dillard and Anne say about giving to your work?
2. What is the main reason Anne's students want to write?
3. Anne does not agree with the use of the word "block" in "writer's block." How does Anne describe this feeling?
4. What has Anne found to be the best ways of dealing with station KFKD?
5. Why do Anne students sometimes take on the voice of popular writers?
6. In Part 4, Section 4, Publication, Anne is humbled by two events. What were they?
7. Does Anne consider calling around work?
8. What does Anne say is a major step is in relying on your own intuition?
9. What does Anne say one's own broccoli can tell them?
10. In Part 4, Publication and Other Reasons to Write, Section 1, Writing a Present, Anne describes bowling as life at its most immediate. What did she mean by this?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)