|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ms. Allende's writing style offer to the reader?
(a) Sharp turns and suspenseful drama.
(b) A sense of being understood.
(c) Nourishment of the imagination and wonder.
(d) A headache.
2. What Sharon Olds poem does Anne pass out at every class?
(b) I Go Back to May 1937.
(c) I Write.
(d) The Winds Carried Me.
3. What does Anne state that financial success guarantees a writer?
(a) A more expensive set of problems.
(b) Many book signings.
(c) Adoring fans.
(d) More paranoia.
4. What kind of feedback do the two people that read Anne's drafts give her?
(a) How to make her story into a blockbuster movie.
(b) How to make her story less tedious and in funnier dialect.
(c) How to make her story funnier, stronger, more interesting, and less tedious.
(d) How to make her story more interesting and publication ready.
5. What are two good reasons cited by Anne for calling around?
(a) It keeps you from being bored, and you can double-bill your agent.
(b) People enjoy talking about what they know, and it keeps you from being bored.
(c) People enjoy talking about what they know, and you can consider it.
(d) You can consider it work and double-bill your agent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Anne say a moral position begins?
2. What voice does Anne say is the real and true voice of a writer?
3. Of Anne's former students, the four that formed a writing group, how many of them had been published?
4. What does Anne say that unpublished writers need?
5. Whose work does Anne love to read when it comes out, but regrets that her students start writing like that author?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anne say is a major step is in relying on your own intuition?
2. In Part 3, Help Along the Way, Section 1, Index Cards, Anne uses the index cards not only for notes, but in what other way?
3. Why does Anne have index cards all over her house?
4. What are some reasons that students attend Anne's writing classes?
5. Six months before Pammy died, her doctor told Anne to watch her carefully. In dying, how was Pammy teaching Anne how to live? What effect has this had on Anne's writing?
6. What has Anne found to be the best ways of dealing with station KFKD?
7. According to Anne, how can having a writing group affect you and your work as a writer?
8. What are the two things that put Anne in the spirit to give?
9. What is the main reason Anne's students want to write?
10. Good things happen to bad writers, mainly, anyone who is not you. Why does this happen according to Anne?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)