|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anne consider a most depressing experience?
(a) Writer's block.
(c) Editors not liking your work.
(d) Having so much material you can not write fast enough.
2. Why does Anne say we are to tell the truth and write in our own voice?
(a) If you write using someone elses voice, they will be jealous.
(b) Because it is our nature.
(c) You do not want a libel suit on your hands.
(d) Because it says so in the writer's manual.
3. In Anne's comments on the Gulf Stream, what is the straw a metaphor for?
(a) Us, as writers. The river of the story pours through us.
(b) KFKD, it is as big as the Gulf Stream.
(c) Our fingers, a river of stories pour through them.
(d) Our pencil, a river of stories pour though it.
4. What is libel?
(a) Defamation by written or printed word.
(b) It is the liberty within us all.
(c) What you can sue the papers for and get lots of money.
(d) Making untrue accusations.
5. When you are stuck in your writing, but you can not leave it alone, what is something Anne suggests to try?
(a) Writing part of a character's history in a one-inch picture frame.
(b) Go ahead and take a break, make a phone call.
(c) Writing part of a character's history in the form of a letter.
(d) Write the same word over and over, noticing every letter and the sound it makes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the wire that covers all champagne corks?
2. When you start thinking like a writer, where does Anne suggest you get your material?
3. KFKD plays in stereo. What does Anne say plays out of the left and right speakers?
4. What does Anne believe drives a writer's work?
5. Secretly, why do some people attend Anne's writing class?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main reason Anne's students want to write?
2. Good things happen to bad writers, mainly, anyone who is not you. Why does this happen according to Anne?
3. In Part 4, Section 4, Publication, Anne is humbled by two events. What were they?
4. Does Anne consider calling around work?
5. Anne does not agree with the use of the word "block" in "writer's block." How does Anne describe this feeling?
6. What two books did Anne write as gifts and why?
7. How did Anne's article about being a lifelong Giants fan originate?
8. What has Anne found to be the best ways of dealing with station KFKD?
9. What does Anne state is the myth of publication?
10. What does Anne say one's own broccoli can tell them?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)