|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When you are still, and breathing calmly, what can happen, according to Anne?
(a) KFKD blares louder than ever.
(b) You can write from the perspective of the fourteenth Dalai Lama.
(c) You can hear the voices of your characters, above the rantings of KFKD.
(d) You fall asleep.
2. What did Anne and her friend Carpenter do for each other on the day they both had books out?
(a) Unknowingly sent flowers to each other.
(b) Called each other to say congratulations.
(c) Unknowingly went to the same bookstore for a signing.
(d) Consoled each other with boxes of chocolates and martinis.
3. What brings Anne's students the feeling of liberation?
(a) Writing about their childhood.
(b) Writing about people who wronged them.
(c) A deep breath.
(d) Discipline in writing.
4. KFKD plays in stereo. What does Anne say plays out of the left and right speakers?
(a) Right speaker plays how gifted you are, the left how incredible your writing is.
(b) Right speaker plays how gifted your are, the left how awful your writing is.
(c) It does not play in stereo at all, everybody knows you are the best writer in the world.
(d) Right speaker plays how awful you are, the left how awul your writing is.
5. Why does Anne say we are to tell the truth and write in our own voice?
(a) Because it says so in the writer's manual.
(b) If you write using someone elses voice, they will be jealous.
(c) Because it is our nature.
(d) You do not want a libel suit on your hands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Annie Dillard say about writing?
2. What did Jean Rhys write about the success of writers?
3. What soothes and heals Anne when she is paranoid, jealous, or upset for any reason?
4. What is the myth of publication, according to Anne?
5. How does Anne suggest you should expect someone to review your work?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 3, Help Along the Way, Section 1, Index Cards, Anne uses the index cards not only for notes, but in what other way?
2. Good things happen to bad writers, mainly, anyone who is not you. Why does this happen according to Anne?
3. What has Anne found to be the best ways of dealing with station KFKD?
4. Why does Anne encourage her students to write out of vengeance, as long as they do it nicely?
5. In dealing with our characters, what is moral material, according to Anne?
6. Six months before Pammy died, her doctor told Anne to watch her carefully. In dying, how was Pammy teaching Anne how to live? What effect has this had on Anne's writing?
7. What do Annie Dillard and Anne say about giving to your work?
8. How did Anne's article about being a lifelong Giants fan originate?
9. How does Anne say someone reading your material can help you?
10. What does Anne say one's own broccoli can tell them?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)