|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the first player who comes out on stage represent?
2. Who does Mrs. Manresa bring with her to Pointz Hall?
3. What is the focus of the play?
4. How does Miss La Trobe regard the pageant?
5. What does the servant named Candish prepare for the event?
Short Essay Questions
1. What thoughts does Isa have about the plot of the pageant?
2. How is Mrs. Manresa described?
3. What does Isa remind herself of when she sees Giles?
4. Who is Eliza Clark, what roles does she play and how does the audience react to her character?
5. As a skeptic and atheist, what does Mr. Oliver think about Mrs. Swithin?
6. How does the pageant get off to a rocky start?
7. Why does Mr. Oliver express disappointment in his grandson?
8. What does Giles fume about while the group has tea?
9. Where do the acting troupe prepare for the pageant?
10. Who is Miss La Trobe? How does she carryout her role in the pageant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Woolf's use of allegory in the novel "Between the Acts". What are some examples in the novel? What are the meanings behind the examples?
Essay Topic 2
Fantasy is a central theme of the novel. What are some examples of fantasy in the novel? What might the significance of these examples be? What do these fantasies tell the reader about the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the motif of music and sound. How does Woolf use music in the novel? How are sound and noise used? How do these elements affect the tone of the novel? What themes do the music and the level of sound illustrate?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)