|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Oliver dream of?
2. What is the name of Isa's youngest child?
3. How old is Mrs. Manresa?
4. What does Lucy imagine as she looks out the window?
5. What has Mrs. Swithin nailed to the barn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who accompanies Mrs. Swithin on a tour of Pointz Hall? What does she forget on the tour?
2. What troubles does William have?
3. What is the rumor about the lily pond near Pointz Hall? What does Mr. Oliver think of this rumor?
4. What does Mrs. Swithin talk about in the barn?
5. What role does Albert play, and why is it not considered a stretch for him?
6. What does Pointz Hall host every year? Where will the event take place should there be fair or rainy weather?
7. Why is Mrs. Swithin laughed at while helping set up the event?
8. Who is the first player who comes on stage in the play?
9. What does an old crone character recite on the stage?
10. What do Mrs. Sands and Candish do to prepare for the event?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of obliviousness in the novel "Between the Acts." What are the characters largely oblivious of? Giles is a character who is not oblivious- how does he react to the other characters' obliviousness?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the characters of the novel, particularly the principle characters. Who are the principle characters, and why? What conflicts are they dealing with? Describe the relationships between these characters.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the motif of music and sound. How does Woolf use music in the novel? How are sound and noise used? How do these elements affect the tone of the novel? What themes do the music and the level of sound illustrate?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)