|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Isa's youngest child?
2. Who is Miss La Trobe?
3. Who is especially enlivened by Mrs. Manresa's presence?
4. How does the audience react when Eliza Clark's character appears?
5. What is described as a prison for Giles and Isa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does an old crone character recite on the stage?
2. Who accompanies Mrs. Swithin on a tour of Pointz Hall? What does she forget on the tour?
3. What do the villagers do when 'Queen Elizabeth' returns to the stage?
4. What causes Giles' bad mood when he arrives at Pointz Hall?
5. Who is Miss La Trobe? How does she carryout her role in the pageant?
6. What does Isa think about while watching George and company?
7. Why is Mrs. Swithin laughed at while helping set up the event?
8. Where do the acting troupe prepare for the pageant?
9. What does Mr. Oliver dream of when he falls asleep in the library?
10. What does Miss La Trobe lament as the audience leaves for the intermission?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is stream of consciousness? How and why does Woolf use this narrative mode? How does it affect the tone and mood of the novel? How does it illustrate some of the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the modernist elements found in "Between the Acts." What is modernism? What are some elements of modernism in the novel? What are some examples of modernism in the pageant? How does the audience react to these examples?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the characters of the novel, particularly the principle characters. Who are the principle characters, and why? What conflicts are they dealing with? Describe the relationships between these characters.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)