|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Giles feel about what he read in the newspaper?
2. What does Mr. Oliver tell Isa he is disappointed by?
3. Where does Mrs. Swithin say the birds come from?
4. What is 'the old wall'?
5. What book does Mr. Oliver use for reference?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miss La Trobe lament as the audience leaves for the intermission?
2. How is Mrs. Manresa described?
3. Who is Miss La Trobe? How does she carryout her role in the pageant?
4. What does Pointz Hall host every year? Where will the event take place should there be fair or rainy weather?
5. What do the villagers do when 'Queen Elizabeth' returns to the stage?
6. What role does Albert play, and why is it not considered a stretch for him?
7. What does Isa remind herself of when she sees Giles?
8. As a skeptic and atheist, what does Mr. Oliver think about Mrs. Swithin?
9. What do William and Isa share a moment together doing? What thought briefly crosses William's mind while standing with Isa?
10. What is the relationship between Isa and Mr. Haines?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is stream of consciousness? How and why does Woolf use this narrative mode? How does it affect the tone and mood of the novel? How does it illustrate some of the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the second scene of the pageant in the novel "Between the Acts". Describe the second scene. What takes place? How does the audience react? What is a restoration comedy? In what way is this scene a parody?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Woolf's use of allegory in the novel "Between the Acts". What are some examples in the novel? What are the meanings behind the examples?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)