|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Mr. and Mrs. Smith attend Bobby Watson's funeral?
2. Why doesn't Mr. Smith believe that Dr. Mackenzie-King is a good doctor?
3. What is Mrs. Watson's profession?
4. When traveling to London by train, in which coach does Mr. Martin sit?
5. What silly name do Mrs. Smith and Mr. Martin create out of Robert Browning and Rudyard Kipling's names?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting of the play.
2. Why are the Smiths angry with Mary when she announces the arrival of the Martins?
3. Describe the Fire Chief.
4. What role does the clock play in the drama?
5. How do Mary and the Fire Chief shock the Smiths and the Martins?
6. What conflicts arise in the play and how are they resolved?
7. How is the plot developed in the play?
8. How is mediocrity presented in the play?
9. Describe Mrs. Martin.
10. How is contradiction used as a literary device?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1How is language altered in the play? What is the purpose of altering the language and how do the alterations affect the flow of conversation? Define three specific points where language is suddenly altered, and hypothesize as to the reason behind those sudden changes.
Essay Topic 2Describe the development of the characters throughout the play. How do the characters relate to each other emotionally? What factors motivate the characters throughout the play? What progress is made in developing relationships by the end of the play?
Essay Topic 3What stereotypes are found within the play? What is the purpose of each stereotype? Is any change evident in the development of the characters, and how does character development affect the progress of the action?
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)