|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comment does Mr. Martin make about Mary's poem?
2. According to Mr. Smith, what must one always think of?
3. According to Mrs. Martin, what is honorable?
4. What is unusual about the dialogue on the last page of the play?
5. What poem does Mary recite?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the play parody English society?
2. How is mediocrity presented in the play?
3. What ironic elements exist in the play?
4. How do the characters react to Mary's poem, "The Fire"?
5. What satirical elements exist in the play?
6. How are pity and fear used to evoke a response from the audience?
7. What illogical elements exist in the play?
8. What effect does the outcome of the play have on the characters?
9. What revelation does Mary give about the Martin family?
10. How is contradiction used as a literary device?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the development of the characters throughout the play. How do the characters relate to each other emotionally? What factors motivate the characters throughout the play? What progress is made in developing relationships by the end of the play?
Essay Topic 2
What coincidences exist in the play? How are coincidences used to create humor? List at three specific incidents involving coincidences and discuss how each scene supports the theme of the play.
Essay Topic 3
How is irony used to advance the action of the play and express the theme? What role does sarcasm play in the play's irony? How are irony and sarcasm effective tools when used in the context of the play?
This section contains 2,111 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)