|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Fire Chief, why did the young woman asphyxiate?
2. Whom did Dr. Mackenzie-King operate on before he operated on Parker?
3. According to Mr. Martin, what is below the ceiling?
4. Why does the Fire Chief refuse to visit Mr. Durand?
5. According to Mr. Smith, why was the second Marie from the story "The Headcold" also named Marie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What argument erupts over the doorbell?
2. What illogical elements exist in the play?
3. Describe Mary.
4. Why is "The Bald Soprano" also called "the anti-play"?
5. How did Mary spend her day before the Martins arrive?
6. How is Realism used in the play?
7. What unspoken rules of society are broken by the characters?
8. Describe the plot behind Mrs. Smith's story of the man who bought flowers.
9. What ironic elements exist in the play?
10. What point is Ionesco attempting to make about conversation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is "The Bald Soprano" considered an "anti-play?" What elements of traditional script development have been changed? How does the "anti-play" express its theme without the traditional elements of literature?
Essay Topic 2
How are satire and parody used to expose different aspects of the theme? What elements are exposed to ridicule and mimicked? How does Ionesco use humor to condemn the behavior of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
What stereotypes are found within the play? What is the purpose of each stereotype? Is any change evident in the development of the characters, and how does character development affect the progress of the action?
This section contains 1,382 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)