|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character does Mrs. Smith advise to read poetry before a mirror?
2. Which machine does Mrs. Smith imitate in the last scene?
3. When traveling to London by train, in which coach does Mr. Martin sit?
4. In Mrs. Smith's story, "The Bouquet", why does the fiancé take back the bouquet of flowers?
5. How does the Fire Chief act in response to Mrs. Smith's request?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the meaningless banter among the characters?
2. How did Mary spend her day before the Martins arrive?
3. Describe the stereotypes the characters represent.
4. How do Mary and the Fire Chief shock the Smiths and the Martins?
5. What drama unfolds as the Martins wait for the Smiths?
6. How are the characters emotionally distant and disconnected?
7. How is the play both a comedy and a tragedy?
8. Describe the story of "The Snake and the Fox."
9. Why is "The Bald Soprano" also called "the anti-play"?
10. Describe the story of "The Cock."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What coincidences exist in the play? How are coincidences used to create humor? List at three specific incidents involving coincidences and discuss how each scene supports the theme of the play.
Essay Topic 2
How are emotional responses elicited from the audience during the play? List the emotional responses you feel Ionesco was attempting to elicit from the audience and the techniques he used to evoke those emotions. How do Ionesco's techniques compare to those found in more traditional plays? How important is the audience's emotional connection to the dialogue and action in communicating the theme of the play?
Essay Topic 3
What contradictions exist in the play? How do actions contradict statements? Describe how contradictions are used motivate the action and express the theme of the play.
This section contains 1,309 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)