|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what unamazing story does Mrs. Martin amaze the Smiths?
2. What is the name of Mr. Martin's daughter?
3. In the last scene of the play, who would Mr. Martin like to slap?
4. What is the name of Mrs. Martin's daughter?
5. According to the Fire Chief, what is the reason for a ringing doorbell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What cycle exists in the play?
2. What role does the clock play in the drama?
3. Describe the plot and the moral behind the story, "The Dog and the Cow."
4. What comedic coincidences exist in the play?
5. What dull story does Mrs. Martin tell to amaze Mr. Martin and the Smiths?
6. What effect does the outcome of the play have on the characters?
7. Describe the discussion that centers around Dr. Mackenzie-King.
8. Describe the protagonist and antagonist of the play.
9. What official business has the Fire Chief visiting the Smiths?
10. What point is Ionesco attempting to make about conversation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the development of the characters throughout the play. How do the characters relate to each other emotionally? What factors motivate the characters throughout the play? What progress is made in developing relationships by the end of the play?
Essay Topic 2
What cycle or cycles are evident in the play? How is dialogue and action used to develop the cycle(s)? What purpose do these cycles serve and how do they communicate the theme of the play?
Essay Topic 3
How is conversation utilized in the play? What topics are discussed throughout the conversation? How do characters interact with each other throughout the conversation? Is the conversation productive?
This section contains 1,320 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)