|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What product does Mrs. Smith compare from different grocers?
2. Which character does Mrs. Smith advise to read poetry before a mirror?
3. According to Mr. Martin, who is Edward?
4. According to Mrs. Martin, what is honorable?
5. In the story, "The Headcold", who caught the cold?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unspoken rules of society are broken by the characters?
2. How do the characters react to Mary's poem, "The Fire"?
3. What argument centers around the Watson family?
4. Why is "The Bald Soprano" also called "the anti-play"?
5. What cycle exists in the play?
6. How does the play parody English society?
7. What official business has the Fire Chief visiting the Smiths?
8. What drama unfolds as the Martins wait for the Smiths?
9. How is mediocrity presented in the play?
10. What satirical elements exist in the play?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the effect the outcome of the play has on the characters. List examples of how the characters have been affected by their conversation. What effect might the outcome of the play have on the audience? Compare and contrast the audience's potential reaction to the play with that of the character's reaction to the evening.
Essay Topic 2
How are satire and parody used to expose different aspects of the theme? What elements are exposed to ridicule and mimicked? How does Ionesco use humor to condemn the behavior of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
What coincidences exist in the play? How are coincidences used to create humor? List at three specific incidents involving coincidences and discuss how each scene supports the theme of the play.
This section contains 1,923 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)