|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What line do all the characters on stage chant at the end of the last scene?
2. What does Mr. Smith enjoy when he is in the country?
3. When traveling to London by train, in what class compartment does Mrs. Martin ride?
4. What complaint does Mr. Smith have about women?
5. Why did Mrs. Smith find no one at the door the third time the doorbell rang?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mary spend her day before the Martins arrive?
2. Describe the Fire Chief.
3. What illogical elements exist in the play?
4. Why are the Smiths angry with Mary when she announces the arrival of the Martins?
5. Describe Mr. Martin.
6. What dull story does Mrs. Martin tell to amaze Mr. Martin and the Smiths?
7. What effect does the outcome of the play have on the characters?
8. Why does the Fire Chief have difficulty finding a fire?
9. How do the characters react to Mary's poem, "The Fire"?
10. How does the play parody English society?
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of the clock in the play? What significance does time have for the characters? What parallels can be drawn between the chiming of the clock and the progress of the action and dialogue?
Essay Topic 2
What coincidences exist in the play? How are coincidences used to create humor? List at three specific incidents involving coincidences and discuss how each scene supports the theme of the play.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the mirror? How does each character view himself or herself? What fears exist among the characters when presented with the concept of personal reflection and how does that fear relate to the theme of the play?
This section contains 1,955 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)