|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which part of the alphabet does Mrs Martin quote in the last scene?
2. According to Mrs. Smith, why does she need to learn Spanish?
3. What inconsistencies exist about Mrs. Watson's appearance?
4. How long was the Fire Chief standing outside the house by the door?
5. Why does Mrs. Smith scold Mary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What illogical elements exist in the play?
2. What is the significance of the mirror?
3. How do the characters react to Mary's poem, "The Fire"?
4. Describe Mr. Martin.
5. Describe the discussion that centers around Dr. Mackenzie-King.
6. What point is Ionesco attempting to make about conversation?
7. What revelation does Mary give about the Martin family?
8. How is repetition used as a literary device?
9. What satirical elements exist in the play?
10. Describe the protagonist and antagonist of the play.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is irony used to advance the action of the play and express the theme? What role does sarcasm play in the play's irony? How are irony and sarcasm effective tools when used in the context of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Why is "The Bald Soprano" considered an "anti-play?" What elements of traditional script development have been changed? How does the "anti-play" express its theme without the traditional elements of literature?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the characteristics of the style "Theater of the Absurd". How does absurdist drama communicate its theme? How does this style differ from other traditional forms of drama? What is the purpose of an absurdist play?
This section contains 2,030 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)