Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Smith enjoy when he is in the country?
2. Which character suddenly says, "I've been goosed."?
3. What constantly interrupts Mrs. Martin's storytelling?
4. According to Mrs. Martin, what did the third wife from the story "The Headcold" do while sitting on a hornet's nest?
5. Why doesn't Mr. Smith believe that Dr. Mackenzie-King is a good doctor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the plot and the moral behind the story, "The Dog and the Cow."
2. Describe the Smith children.
3. How are pity and fear used to evoke a response from the audience?
4. Describe the Mr. and Mrs. Martin's daughter.
5. What official business has the Fire Chief visiting the Smiths?
6. What comedic coincidences exist in the play?
7. Describe the story of the calf that gave birth to a cow.
8. What is the point of the story, "The Headcold"?
9. What illogical elements exist in the play?
10. Describe the protagonist and antagonist of the play.
Essay Topic 1
Describe the characteristics of the style "Theater of the Absurd". How does absurdist drama communicate its theme? How does this style differ from other traditional forms of drama? What is the purpose of an absurdist play?
Essay Topic 2
Which characters from the play appear to be "imaginary?" What is the purpose of describing these nonexistent characters? How do the characters who are not physically present in the play affect the dialogue and action?
Essay Topic 3
What coincidences exist in the play? How are coincidences used to create humor? List at three specific incidents involving coincidences and discuss how each scene supports the theme of the play.
This section contains 1,321 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)