|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mrs. Smith, what is the reason for a ringing doorbell?
2. According to Mrs. Martin, what can't a person buy for his grandfather?
3. Whom does Mr. Smith claim has not been properly brought up?
4. Why did the Fire Chief stand outside by the door for a long time before ringing the bell?
5. What question does the Fire Chief ask the Smiths?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Mr. and Mrs. Martin's daughter.
2. Describe the plot behind Mrs. Smith's story of the man who bought flowers.
3. How is mediocrity presented in the play?
4. What is the significance of the mirror?
5. What official business has the Fire Chief visiting the Smiths?
6. Describe Mr. Smith.
7. What topic begins the conversation of the play?
8. How does Mr. Smith know the Fire Chief?
9. Describe Mrs. Smith.
10. Describe Mary.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What contradictions exist in the play? How do actions contradict statements? Describe how contradictions are used motivate the action and express the theme of the play.
Essay Topic 2
What societal rules are broken in the play and how does the blatant disregard for other characters feelings reflect the value each character places on the others? Based on their actions within the society on stage, what value do the characters place on themselves? How does the disregard for others feelings contrast with the appearance of polite English society the characters attempt to emulate?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the effect the outcome of the play has on the characters. List examples of how the characters have been affected by their conversation. What effect might the outcome of the play have on the audience? Compare and contrast the audience's potential reaction to the play with that of the character's reaction to the evening.
This section contains 1,688 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)