|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Smith waiting for to see her at her windmill?
2. According to Mr. Smith, what must one always think of?
3. Whom does Mr. Smith claim has not been properly brought up?
4. According to Mr. Martin, what time does the 8:30 morning train arrive in London?
5. According to Mr. Martin, where does charity begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What illogical elements exist in the play?
2. What ironic elements exist in the play?
3. Describe Mrs. Martin.
4. What point is Ionesco attempting to make about conversation?
5. What cycle exists in the play?
6. What official business has the Fire Chief visiting the Smiths?
7. What comedic coincidences exist in the play?
8. What satirical elements exist in the play?
9. What topic begins the conversation of the play?
10. Why are the Smiths angry with Mary when she announces the arrival of the Martins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What stereotypes are found within the play? What is the purpose of each stereotype? Is any change evident in the development of the characters, and how does character development affect the progress of the action?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the mirror? How does each character view himself or herself? What fears exist among the characters when presented with the concept of personal reflection and how does that fear relate to the theme of the play?
Essay Topic 3
What cycle or cycles are evident in the play? How is dialogue and action used to develop the cycle(s)? What purpose do these cycles serve and how do they communicate the theme of the play?
This section contains 1,963 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)