|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mr. Martin, who is Nancy?
2. According to Mrs. Martin, what is honorable?
3. According to the Fire Chief, why did the young woman asphyxiate?
4. What type of stories does the Fire Chief tell?
5. Why does Mrs. Smith believe the Martins must have interesting stories to tell?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Fire Chief settle the argument over the doorbell?
2. What is the point of the story, "The Headcold"?
3. What cycle exists in the play?
4. What unspoken rules of society are broken by the characters?
5. What is the significance of the mirror?
6. How is Realism used in the play?
7. What argument centers around the Watson family?
8. How does the play parody English society?
9. Describe Mrs. Smith.
10. Why does the Fire Chief have difficulty finding a fire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What coincidences exist in the play? How are coincidences used to create humor? List at three specific incidents involving coincidences and discuss how each scene supports the theme of the play.
Essay Topic 2
How is the play's plot developed? What conflicts arise and how are they resolved? How does Ionesco's method of plot development compare to the traditional literary method of creating plot development? What effect does Ionesco's style of plot development have on communicating the theme of the play?
Essay Topic 3
What cycle or cycles are evident in the play? How is dialogue and action used to develop the cycle(s)? What purpose do these cycles serve and how do they communicate the theme of the play?
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)