|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Smith know the Fire Chief?
2. According to Mr. Martin, if a person sells an ox today, what will he have tomorrow?
3. Whom does Mr. Smith wish would marry his maid?
4. In Mr. Smith's story, "The Snake and the Fox", what weapon does the fox possess?
5. Why didn't Mr. Martin see himself in the mirror that morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Mary and the Fire Chief shock the Smiths and the Martins?
2. Describe Mrs. Smith.
3. Describe the story of the calf that gave birth to a cow.
4. Who is Bobby Watson?
5. What argument centers around the Watson family?
6. How is repetition used as a literary device?
7. Describe the discussion that centers around Dr. Mackenzie-King.
8. How do the characters react to Mary's poem, "The Fire"?
9. What dull story does Mrs. Martin tell to amaze Mr. Martin and the Smiths?
10. Describe the stereotypes the characters represent.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What contradictions exist in the play? How do actions contradict statements? Describe how contradictions are used motivate the action and express the theme of the play.
Essay Topic 2
How is language altered in the play? What is the purpose of altering the language and how do the alterations affect the flow of conversation? Define three specific points where language is suddenly altered, and hypothesize as to the reason behind those sudden changes.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of the clock in the play? What significance does time have for the characters? What parallels can be drawn between the chiming of the clock and the progress of the action and dialogue?
This section contains 1,290 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)