Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Smith enjoy when he is in the country?
2. Which character suddenly says, "I've been goosed."?
3. What constantly interrupts Mrs. Martin's storytelling?
4. According to Mrs. Martin, what did the third wife from the story "The Headcold" do while sitting on a hornet's nest?
5. Why doesn't Mr. Smith believe that Dr. Mackenzie-King is a good doctor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the plot and the moral behind the story, "The Dog and the Cow."
2. Describe the Smith children.
3. How are pity and fear used to evoke a response from the audience?
4. Describe the Mr. and Mrs. Martin's daughter.
5. What official business has the Fire Chief visiting the Smiths?
6. What comedic coincidences exist in the play?
7. Describe the story of the calf that gave birth to a cow.
8. What is the point of the story, "The Headcold"?
9. What illogical elements exist in the play?
10. Describe the protagonist and antagonist of the play.
Essay Topic 1
What coincidences exist in the play? How are coincidences used to create humor? List at three specific incidents involving coincidences and discuss how each scene supports the theme of the play.
Essay Topic 2
How is conversation utilized in the play? What topics are discussed throughout the conversation? How do characters interact with each other throughout the conversation? Is the conversation productive?
Essay Topic 3
What cycle or cycles are evident in the play? How is dialogue and action used to develop the cycle(s)? What purpose do these cycles serve and how do they communicate the theme of the play?
This section contains 1,314 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)