|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Fire Chief, who rang the doorbell the third time?
2. When boarding the train to London, how did Mr. Martin assist Mrs. Martin?
3. According to Mrs. Martin, what is honorable?
4. What does Mary want to tell the rest of the cast after all the stories have been told?
5. With what unamazing story does Mrs. Martin amaze the Smiths?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the play parody English society?
2. What argument erupts over the doorbell?
3. Describe the plot behind Mrs. Smith's story of the man who bought flowers.
4. What effect does the outcome of the play have on the characters?
5. Describe the Mr. and Mrs. Martin's daughter.
6. Describe Mary.
7. Why does the Fire Chief leave the Smiths' house?
8. What point is Ionesco attempting to make about conversation?
9. Describe the story of "The Cock."
10. Why are the Smiths angry with Mary when she announces the arrival of the Martins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the play's plot developed? What conflicts arise and how are they resolved? How does Ionesco's method of plot development compare to the traditional literary method of creating plot development? What effect does Ionesco's style of plot development have on communicating the theme of the play?
Essay Topic 2
What contradictions exist in the play? How do actions contradict statements? Describe how contradictions are used motivate the action and express the theme of the play.
Essay Topic 3
What cycle or cycles are evident in the play? How is dialogue and action used to develop the cycle(s)? What purpose do these cycles serve and how do they communicate the theme of the play?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)