Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Smith enjoy when he is in the country?
2. Which character suddenly says, "I've been goosed."?
3. What constantly interrupts Mrs. Martin's storytelling?
4. According to Mrs. Martin, what did the third wife from the story "The Headcold" do while sitting on a hornet's nest?
5. Why doesn't Mr. Smith believe that Dr. Mackenzie-King is a good doctor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the plot and the moral behind the story, "The Dog and the Cow."
2. Describe the Smith children.
3. How are pity and fear used to evoke a response from the audience?
4. Describe the Mr. and Mrs. Martin's daughter.
5. What official business has the Fire Chief visiting the Smiths?
6. What comedic coincidences exist in the play?
7. Describe the story of the calf that gave birth to a cow.
8. What is the point of the story, "The Headcold"?
9. What illogical elements exist in the play?
10. Describe the protagonist and antagonist of the play.
Describe the development of the characters throughout the play. How do the characters relate to each other emotionally? What factors motivate the characters throughout the play? What progress is made in developing relationships by the end of the play?
What is the role of the clock in the play? What significance does time have for the characters? What parallels can be drawn between the chiming of the clock and the progress of the action and dialogue?
How is the play's plot developed? What conflicts arise and how are they resolved? How does Ionesco's method of plot development compare to the traditional literary method of creating plot development? What effect does Ionesco's style of plot development have on communicating the theme of the play?
This section contains 1,336 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)