|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mr. Smith, what behavior do Mary and the Fire Chief demonstrate?
2. According to Mr. Smith, why was the second Marie from the story "The Headcold" also named Marie?
3. According to Mr. Smith, if a schoolmaster teaches his pupils to read, what does a cat do for its young?
4. How does Mr. Smith claim to know the Fire Chief's mother?
5. According to the Fire Chief, how does he know Mary?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is contradiction used as a literary device?
2. What argument centers around the Watson family?
3. Describe the plot and the moral behind the story, "The Dog and the Cow."
4. How do the characters deviate from their assigned stations in life?
5. How are the characters emotionally distant and disconnected?
6. What is the purpose of the meaningless banter among the characters?
7. How is the plot developed in the play?
8. Describe the story of the calf that gave birth to a cow.
9. What argument erupts over the doorbell?
10. What is the significance of the mirror?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the characteristics of the style "Theater of the Absurd". How does absurdist drama communicate its theme? How does this style differ from other traditional forms of drama? What is the purpose of an absurdist play?
Essay Topic 2
How are situations from daily life incorporated into the play? How does Ionesco use the setting of the play to create the illusion of reality? How does the setting of the play affect the dialogue and action?
Essay Topic 3
How is conversation utilized in the play? What topics are discussed throughout the conversation? How do characters interact with each other throughout the conversation? Is the conversation productive?
This section contains 1,510 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)