Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Smith enjoy when he is in the country?
2. Which character suddenly says, "I've been goosed."?
3. What constantly interrupts Mrs. Martin's storytelling?
4. According to Mrs. Martin, what did the third wife from the story "The Headcold" do while sitting on a hornet's nest?
5. Why doesn't Mr. Smith believe that Dr. Mackenzie-King is a good doctor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the plot and the moral behind the story, "The Dog and the Cow."
2. Describe the Smith children.
3. How are pity and fear used to evoke a response from the audience?
4. Describe the Mr. and Mrs. Martin's daughter.
5. What official business has the Fire Chief visiting the Smiths?
6. What comedic coincidences exist in the play?
7. Describe the story of the calf that gave birth to a cow.
8. What is the point of the story, "The Headcold"?
9. What illogical elements exist in the play?
10. Describe the protagonist and antagonist of the play.
Essay Topic 1
Describe the characteristics of the style "Theater of the Absurd". How does absurdist drama communicate its theme? How does this style differ from other traditional forms of drama? What is the purpose of an absurdist play?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the development of the characters throughout the play. How do the characters relate to each other emotionally? What factors motivate the characters throughout the play? What progress is made in developing relationships by the end of the play?
Essay Topic 3
How is the play's plot developed? What conflicts arise and how are they resolved? How does Ionesco's method of plot development compare to the traditional literary method of creating plot development? What effect does Ionesco's style of plot development have on communicating the theme of the play?
This section contains 1,341 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)