|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about the lighting at the end of the last scene?
2. What is the name of Mrs. Martin's daughter?
3. What food does the Smith's daughter prefer?
4. How did Mary spend her afternoon?
5. What does Mary claim is her real name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Realism used in the play?
2. Describe Mr. Martin.
3. Describe the Fire Chief.
4. Describe the plot and the moral behind the story, "The Dog and the Cow."
5. How does the Fire Chief settle the argument over the doorbell?
6. Describe the plot behind Mrs. Smith's story of the man who bought flowers.
7. Describe the story of the calf that gave birth to a cow.
8. What effect does the outcome of the play have on the characters?
9. How do Mary and the Fire Chief shock the Smiths and the Martins?
10. Describe Mrs. Martin.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the characteristics of the style "Theater of the Absurd". How does absurdist drama communicate its theme? How does this style differ from other traditional forms of drama? What is the purpose of an absurdist play?
Essay Topic 2
How is irony used to advance the action of the play and express the theme? What role does sarcasm play in the play's irony? How are irony and sarcasm effective tools when used in the context of the play?
Essay Topic 3
What societal rules are broken in the play and how does the blatant disregard for other characters feelings reflect the value each character places on the others? Based on their actions within the society on stage, what value do the characters place on themselves? How does the disregard for others feelings contrast with the appearance of polite English society the characters attempt to emulate?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)