|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Mr. Smith wish would marry his maid?
2. What observation does Mr. Smith make about Bobby Watson's corpse?
3. In the Fire Chief's story, "The Cock", which animal did the cock wish to play?
4. What excuse does Mrs. Smith give for Mr. Smith's ill temper?
5. When boarding the train to London, how did Mr. Martin assist Mrs. Martin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the story of the calf that gave birth to a cow.
2. Why are the Smiths angry with Mary when she announces the arrival of the Martins?
3. Describe Mrs. Martin.
4. How is contradiction used as a literary device?
5. How is repetition used as a literary device?
6. Describe Mr. Smith.
7. What argument centers around the Watson family?
8. Describe the discussion that centers around Dr. Mackenzie-King.
9. How are the characters emotionally distant and disconnected?
10. What argument erupts over the doorbell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the development of the characters throughout the play. How do the characters relate to each other emotionally? What factors motivate the characters throughout the play? What progress is made in developing relationships by the end of the play?
Essay Topic 2
What cycle or cycles are evident in the play? How is dialogue and action used to develop the cycle(s)? What purpose do these cycles serve and how do they communicate the theme of the play?
Essay Topic 3
How is language altered in the play? What is the purpose of altering the language and how do the alterations affect the flow of conversation? Define three specific points where language is suddenly altered, and hypothesize as to the reason behind those sudden changes.
This section contains 1,345 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)