|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Dr. Mackenzie-King operate on before he operated on Parker?
2. According to the Fire Chief, how does he know Mary?
3. Which character admits to reading poetry before a mirror?
4. In the Fire Chief's story, "The Headcold", what is the main subject of the story?
5. How long was the Fire Chief standing outside the house by the door?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the Smiths angry with Mary when she announces the arrival of the Martins?
2. How do the characters react to Mary's poem, "The Fire"?
3. Describe the plot and the moral behind the story, "The Dog and the Cow."
4. How is the plot developed in the play?
5. How do Mary and the Fire Chief shock the Smiths and the Martins?
6. Describe the story of "The Snake and the Fox."
7. What topic begins the conversation of the play?
8. What illogical elements exist in the play?
9. Describe Mr. Smith.
10. What ironic elements exist in the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are situations from daily life incorporated into the play? How does Ionesco use the setting of the play to create the illusion of reality? How does the setting of the play affect the dialogue and action?
Essay Topic 2
How is language altered in the play? What is the purpose of altering the language and how do the alterations affect the flow of conversation? Define three specific points where language is suddenly altered, and hypothesize as to the reason behind those sudden changes.
Essay Topic 3
How is irony used to advance the action of the play and express the theme? What role does sarcasm play in the play's irony? How are irony and sarcasm effective tools when used in the context of the play?
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)