|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mary recite a poem?
2. What is the trade held by all the Watsons?
3. According to Mrs. Smith, what other position does a Fire Chief hold?
4. What rare item does the grocer Popesco Rosenfeld sell?
5. According to Mr. Smith, what are the names of the Watson children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What satirical elements exist in the play?
2. What argument centers around the Watson family?
3. Why are the Smiths angry with Mary when she announces the arrival of the Martins?
4. What is the significance of the mirror?
5. Describe the Fire Chief.
6. How are pity and fear used to evoke a response from the audience?
7. What point is Ionesco attempting to make about conversation?
8. Describe the story of "The Cock."
9. How is Realism used in the play?
10. Describe the stereotypes the characters represent.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the mirror? How does each character view himself or herself? What fears exist among the characters when presented with the concept of personal reflection and how does that fear relate to the theme of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the characteristics of the style "Theater of the Absurd". How does absurdist drama communicate its theme? How does this style differ from other traditional forms of drama? What is the purpose of an absurdist play?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the development of the characters throughout the play. How do the characters relate to each other emotionally? What factors motivate the characters throughout the play? What progress is made in developing relationships by the end of the play?
This section contains 1,310 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)