|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Mrs. Smith find no one at the door the third time the doorbell rang?
(a) The Fire Chief was already in the kitchen.
(b) The Fire Chief was hiding.
(c) Mr. Smith was in the kitchen.
(d) Mr. Smith was hiding.
2. According to Mr. Martin, what other job might a maid like Mary be able to perform?
3. Why can't Mrs. Smith read the clock?
(a) She must pour the tea.
(b) It is running backwards.
(c) It is contradictory, and indicates the opposite of the hour.
(d) She does not have her reading glasses.
4. What does Mrs. Martin offer to trade for a coffin?
(a) Mr. Martin.
(b) A gold ring.
(c) Her mother-in-law's slippers.
(d) A silver salver.
5. What question does the Fire Chief ask the Smiths?
(a) Where is the tea?
(b) Is there a fire here?
(c) Have you a light?
(d) Where is the door?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was the Fire Chief standing outside the house by the door?
2. Which mildly offensive word does Mrs. Smith begin to chant after Mr. Smith begins his bird name chant?
3. What type of stories does the Fire Chief tell?
4. When did Bobby Watson die?
5. In the Fire Chief's story, "The Cock", which animal did the cock wish to play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the story of "The Snake and the Fox."
2. How does Mr. Smith know the Fire Chief?
3. How is repetition used as a literary device?
4. How does the Fire Chief settle the argument over the doorbell?
5. Why are the Smiths angry with Mary when she announces the arrival of the Martins?
6. How is contradiction used as a literary device?
7. Describe the plot and the moral behind the story, "The Dog and the Cow."
8. What is the significance of the Martins beginning the play at the end of the drama?
9. How is the play both a comedy and a tragedy?
10. What is the point of the story, "The Headcold"?
This section contains 1,382 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)