|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the trade held by all the Watsons?
(a) Commerical traveler.
(c) Voice teacher.
2. According to Mr. Martin, what should a person do if he catches a cold?
(a) Stand on his head.
(b) Run in circles.
(c) Get a colt.
(d) Drink tea.
3. What is unusual about Mrs. Smith's statement about having changed her dress?
(a) She is wearing a bathrobe.
(b) Her dress is on backwards.
(c) She is still wearing the same clothes as before.
(d) She is wearing Mr. Smith's suit.
4. How does Mr. Smith calm the agitated Mrs. Smith before the Martins arrive?
(a) He recites poetry.
(b) He kisses her.
(c) He shakes her.
(d) He slaps her.
5. In the Fire Chief's story about the young calf, why did the calf give birth to a cow?
(a) It was trying to improve the stock.
(b) It was in a hurry.
(c) It ate too much ground glass.
(d) The cow was too lazy to birth the calf.
Short Answer Questions
1. What explanation does Mary give for leaving the house?
2. Whom does Mrs. Smith believe is dishonest?
3. According to Mrs. Smith, what must one look out of in real life?
4. What information does Mr. Smith find missing from the paper?
5. What poem does Mary recite?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the meaningless banter among the characters?
2. Why are the Smiths angry with Mary when she announces the arrival of the Martins?
3. How is the play both a comedy and a tragedy?
4. Why does the Fire Chief have difficulty finding a fire?
5. What point is Ionesco attempting to make about conversation?
6. What ironic elements exist in the play?
7. What revelation does Mary give about the Martin family?
8. Describe Mr. Smith.
9. How is contradiction used as a literary device?
10. What illogical elements exist in the play?
This section contains 1,378 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)