|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what street does Mr. Martin live?
(a) Bromfield Street.
(b) Piccadilly Street.
(c) Cherry Lane.
(d) Martin Ave.
2. When traveling to London by train, in which coach does Mrs. Martin sit?
(a) The Engine.
(b) Coach No. 1.
(c) Coach No. 8.
(d) Coach No. 2.
3. What poem does Mary recite?
(a) Poor Poetry.
(b) The Blaze.
(d) The Fire.
4. Why does Mrs. Martin want the Fire Chief to retell the story of "The Headcold"?
(a) She could not follow the story.
(b) She wants Mary to hear the story.
(c) She wanted to write it down.
(d) She loved the story.
5. Why is Mr. Smith angry when he meets the Martins?
(a) He thinks the Martins have already eaten.
(b) He is hungry and has been waiting for them to arrive.
(c) He was not expecting visitors.
(d) Mr. Martin is wearing his suit.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Smith calm the agitated Mrs. Smith before the Martins arrive?
2. What appears unusual about Mr. and Mrs. Martin's relationship during their first scene?
3. What nickname does Mary give herself?
4. What does Mary claim is her real name?
5. What sound do the Smiths argue about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ironic elements exist in the play?
2. Describe the stereotypes the characters represent.
3. What revelation does Mary give about the Martin family?
4. What point is Ionesco attempting to make about conversation?
5. What drama unfolds as the Martins wait for the Smiths?
6. How is the plot developed in the play?
7. What topic begins the conversation of the play?
8. Why does the Fire Chief have difficulty finding a fire?
9. Describe the story of the calf that gave birth to a cow.
10. Why is "The Bald Soprano" also called "the anti-play"?
This section contains 1,310 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)