|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which line causes an abrupt break in the action?
(a) Nevertheless, it was the cow that gave us tails.
(b) To hell with polishing!
(c) You are not old enough yet for that.
(d) When I say yes, it's only a manner of speaking.
2. Who is Mrs. Smith waiting for to see her at her windmill?
(a) The cat.
(b) The aquaduct.
(c) The turkeys.
(d) Mr. Smith.
3. How does Mary contradict Mr. and Mrs. Martin's conclusion?
(a) She says they are not who they claim to be.
(b) She reprimands them for being foolish.
(c) She sighs and says, "Just like last week."
(d) She applauds.
4. What city do the Martin's have in common?
(b) New York.
5. Why does Mary recite a poem?
(a) To annoy the cast.
(b) To honor the Fire Chief.
(c) To honor the Martins.
(d) To honor the Smiths.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mrs. Smith, what must one look out of in real life?
2. According to the Fire Chief, who rang the doorbell the first two times?
3. Who is at the door when Mrs. Smith opens it?
4. What did Mary buy for herself?
5. According to Mr. Martin, if a person sells an ox today, what will he have tomorrow?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the characters react to Mary's poem, "The Fire"?
2. What unspoken rules of society are broken by the characters?
3. What dull story does Mrs. Martin tell to amaze Mr. Martin and the Smiths?
4. How is mediocrity presented in the play?
5. How does the conversation among the Smiths and the Martins change after the Fire Chief leaves?
6. How is contradiction used as a literary device?
7. What cycle exists in the play?
8. Why does the Fire Chief have difficulty finding a fire?
9. What is the point of the story, "The Headcold"?
10. Describe the setting of the play.
This section contains 1,350 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)