|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What observation does Mr. Smith make about Bobby Watson's corpse?
(a) It was too quiet.
(b) It was the handsomest corpse in Great Britain.
(c) His tie was a bit crooked.
(d) It was the politest corpse in Great Britain
2. In the final scene of the play, which bird name does Mr. Smith begin to chant?
3. What is the trade held by all the Watsons?
(a) Voice teacher.
(c) Commerical traveler.
4. Why didn't Mrs. Smith bring the bottle of Australian Burgundy to the table?
(a) The bottle was empty.
(b) It clashed with the tablecloth.
(c) Mr. Smith wanted rum instead.
(d) She wanted to set a good example for the children.
5. What is the name of Mrs. Martin's daughter?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mr. Smith, if a schoolmaster teaches his pupils to read, what does a cat do for its young?
2. What did Mrs. Martin see a man doing on the Underground?
3. According to Mr. Martin, what is below the ceiling?
4. Which character suddenly says, "I've been goosed."?
5. Which part of the alphabet does Mr. Smith quote in the last scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is repetition used as a literary device?
2. What is the purpose of the meaningless banter among the characters?
3. What is the significance of the mirror?
4. What is the significance of the Martins beginning the play at the end of the drama?
5. How does the conversation among the Smiths and the Martins change after the Fire Chief leaves?
6. What dull story does Mrs. Martin tell to amaze Mr. Martin and the Smiths?
7. How do the characters deviate from their assigned stations in life?
8. What satirical elements exist in the play?
9. How are nonsensical words used in the play?
10. What is the point of the story, "The Headcold"?
This section contains 1,425 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)