|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the last scene, where does Mr. Smith wish to live?
(a) Somewhere over the rainbow.
(b) In a treehouse in London park.
(c) In his cabana among his cacao trees.
(d) In the south of France.
2. How does Mrs. Smith respond to the Fire Chief's embarrassing comment?
(a) A truly Cartesian quarter of an hour.
(b) It ticks.
(c) She always wears her hair in the same style.
(d) The bald soprano?
3. What time is it when the clock strikes 17 times at the beginning of the play?
(a) Twelve o'clock.
(b) Nine o'clock.
(c) Seven o'clock.
(d) Seventeen o'clock.
4. Which character suddenly says, "I've been goosed."?
(a) Mr. Martin.
(b) Mrs. Martin.
(c) Mrs. Smith.
(d) Mr. Smith.
5. When did Mr. and Mrs. Smith attend Bobby Watson's funeral?
(a) A year and a half before the time in which the play is set.
(b) The day before yesterday.
(c) Two months before the time in which the play is set.
(d) Two years before the time in which the play is set.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Fire Chief, who rang the doorbell the third time?
2. Why did Mrs. Smith find no one at the door the third time the doorbell rang?
3. What food does the Smith's daughter prefer?
4. In the final scene of the play, which bird name does Mr. Smith begin to chant?
5. How does Mr. Martin bid the Fire Chief farewell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the story of the calf that gave birth to a cow.
2. How is Realism used in the play?
3. How does the play parody English society?
4. What point is Ionesco attempting to make about conversation?
5. How is repetition used as a literary device?
6. Describe the protagonist and antagonist of the play.
7. What dull story does Mrs. Martin tell to amaze Mr. Martin and the Smiths?
8. Describe the Mr. and Mrs. Martin's daughter.
9. How do the characters deviate from their assigned stations in life?
10. What illogical elements exist in the play?
This section contains 1,330 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)