|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Fire Chief act in response to Mrs. Smith's request?
(a) He stands in front of the divan.
(b) He answers the door.
(c) He eats the scones, but does not pour the tea.
(d) He sits down without removing his helmet.
2. Why did the Fire Chief ring the doorbell?
(a) To finish the tea.
(b) He did not ring the bell.
(c) To be admitted to the house.
(d) To put out the fire.
3. What does Mary want to tell the rest of the cast after all the stories have been told?
(a) It is time for bed.
(b) Her own story.
(c) They are ridiculous people.
(d) She wants to quit.
4. Which part of the alphabet does Mrs Martin quote in the last scene?
(c) The second half.
(d) The first half.
5. According to Mrs. Martin, why have there been so few fires the past year?
(a) The rain has been too heavy.
(b) The tariffs have been too high.
(c) The price of tea has been terribly high.
(d) The children are too well behaved.
Short Answer Questions
1. What constantly interrupts Mrs. Martin's storytelling?
2. What food does the Smith's daughter prefer?
3. What did Mary buy for herself?
4. To what does Mr. Smith compare doctors and their patients?
5. Whom does Mary embrace after the stories have been told?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mrs. Smith.
2. What is the point of the story, "The Headcold"?
3. How does the play parody English society?
4. Describe Mr. Martin.
5. How are the characters emotionally distant and disconnected?
6. Why are the Smiths angry with Mary when she announces the arrival of the Martins?
7. What conflicts arise in the play and how are they resolved?
8. How does the Fire Chief settle the argument over the doorbell?
9. How are nonsensical words used in the play?
10. What official business has the Fire Chief visiting the Smiths?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)