|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mr. Martin, who is Edward?
(a) A clerk.
(b) A monophysite priest.
(c) A shop-assistant.
(d) A typist.
2. How does Mr. Smith know the Fire Chief?
(a) They rode the train together.
(b) He is Mrs. Smith's first husband.
(c) He just put out a fire in the kitchen.
(d) He is an old friend of the family.
3. According to the Fire Chief, who is insured against fires?
(a) The mayor.
(b) The Vicar of Wakefield
(c) The fire department.
(d) The match dealer.
4. When did Mr. and Mrs. Smith attend Bobby Watson's funeral?
(a) A year and a half before the time in which the play is set.
(b) The day before yesterday.
(c) Two years before the time in which the play is set.
(d) Two months before the time in which the play is set.
5. What nickname does Mary give herself?
(b) Little firehose.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mary recite a poem?
2. What does Mrs. Smith recommend giving the Watsons for a wedding present?
3. Why can't Mrs. Smith read the clock?
4. In the Fire Chief's story, "The Dog and the Cow", why didn't the dog swallow his trunk?
5. Why does Mary scold Mr. and Mrs. Martin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are pity and fear used to evoke a response from the audience?
2. What cycle exists in the play?
3. Why are the Smiths angry with Mary when she announces the arrival of the Martins?
4. What is the point of the story, "The Headcold"?
5. Describe the story of "The Snake and the Fox."
6. Describe Mary.
7. How is the plot developed in the play?
8. What is the significance of the Martins beginning the play at the end of the drama?
9. What drama unfolds as the Martins wait for the Smiths?
10. Describe the plot behind Mrs. Smith's story of the man who bought flowers.
This section contains 1,274 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)