|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What inconsistencies exist about Mr. and Mrs. Watson's children?
(a) Their names.
(b) Whether any children actually exist.
(c) Their appearances.
(d) If they are really brother and sister.
2. Why doesn't Mr. Smith believe that Dr. Mackenzie-King is a good doctor?
(a) Mrs. Smith died.
(b) The doctor left a hole in his side.
(c) Mary developed the hiccups.
(d) A conscientious doctor should die with his patient.
3. In Mary's poem, what was burning?
4. Whom does Mary embrace after the stories have been told?
(a) Mrs. Smith.
(b) Mr. Smith.
(c) Bobby Watson.
(d) The Fire Chief.
5. According to Mr. Martin, what is below the ceiling?
(b) The lamp.
(c) The floor.
(d) The chair.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Mary spend her afternoon?
2. What constantly interrupts Mrs. Martin's storytelling?
3. According to Mrs. Smith, if paper is for writing and the cat is for the rat, what is cheese for?
4. What orders has the Fire Chief been given?
5. Whom does Mr. Smith claim has not been properly brought up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mr. Martin.
2. How are nonsensical words used in the play?
3. How do Mary and the Fire Chief shock the Smiths and the Martins?
4. What comedic coincidences exist in the play?
5. What revelation does Mary give about the Martin family?
6. Why does the Fire Chief leave the Smiths' house?
7. What conflicts arise in the play and how are they resolved?
8. How is the play both a comedy and a tragedy?
9. Describe the plot behind Mrs. Smith's story of the man who bought flowers.
10. What argument centers around the Watson family?
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)