|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who might pay for the Watson children's schooling?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Holmes.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Smith.
(c) Aunt and Uncle Watson.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Martin.
2. In the final scene of the play, which bird name does Mr. Smith begin to chant?
3. What does the Fire Chief expect to see later that evening?
(a) A straw fire and a little heartburn.
(b) A movie.
(c) A beautiful sunset.
(d) A roaring blaze at his flat.
4. According to the Fire Chief, who rang the doorbell the first two times?
(a) No one.
(c) Mr. Smith.
(d) He did.
5. According to Mrs. Smith, what must one look out of in real life?
(a) The door.
(b) Thin air.
(c) The window.
(d) Rose tinted glasses.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mrs. Martin, what did the third wife from the story "The Headcold" do while sitting on a hornet's nest?
2. Why does Mrs. Martin want the Fire Chief to retell the story of "The Headcold"?
3. What excuse do the Martins give for their tardiness?
4. According to the Fire Chief, why can't he put out a fire at a naturalized citizen's house?
5. When boarding the train to London, how did Mr. Martin assist Mrs. Martin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the conversation among the Smiths and the Martins change after the Fire Chief leaves?
2. What comedic coincidences exist in the play?
3. Why is "The Bald Soprano" also called "the anti-play"?
4. Describe the story of "The Cock."
5. What unspoken rules of society are broken by the characters?
6. How is Realism used in the play?
7. Why are the Smiths angry with Mary when she announces the arrival of the Martins?
8. Describe Mr. Smith.
9. How is mediocrity presented in the play?
10. What argument centers around the Watson family?
This section contains 1,327 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)