|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Smith claim to know the Fire Chief's mother?
(a) They rode the train together.
(b) She was Mr. Smith's first wife.
(c) She courted Mr. Smith.
(d) She was in the kitchen when it caught fire.
2. Why is Mr. Smith angry when he meets the Martins?
(a) He was not expecting visitors.
(b) He is hungry and has been waiting for them to arrive.
(c) He thinks the Martins have already eaten.
(d) Mr. Martin is wearing his suit.
3. According to the Fire Chief, who rang the doorbell the first two times?
(a) No one.
(c) Mr. Smith.
(d) He did.
4. What did Mary buy for herself?
(a) A bottle of rum.
(b) A chamber pot.
(c) A robin.
(d) A scarf.
5. Which machine does Mrs. Smith imitate in the last scene?
(a) A train.
(b) A lorry.
(c) A bulldozer.
(d) A tractor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mary scold Mr. and Mrs. Martin?
2. In the final scene of the play, which bird name does Mr. Smith begin to chant?
3. Whom does Mr. Smith wish would marry his maid?
4. According to Mr. Smith, what will happen if one caresses a circle?
5. How does Mrs. Smith offer to help the Fire Chief?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comedic coincidences exist in the play?
2. Describe the discussion that centers around Dr. Mackenzie-King.
3. What illogical elements exist in the play?
4. How does the conversation among the Smiths and the Martins change after the Fire Chief leaves?
5. What ironic elements exist in the play?
6. Describe the plot behind Mrs. Smith's story of the man who bought flowers.
7. How is contradiction used as a literary device?
8. Describe the Mr. and Mrs. Martin's daughter.
9. Describe the plot and the moral behind the story, "The Dog and the Cow."
10. How is Realism used in the play?
This section contains 1,407 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)