|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When traveling to London by train, in which coach does Mrs. Martin sit?
(a) The Engine.
(b) Coach No. 1.
(c) Coach No. 8.
(d) Coach No. 2.
2. What train does Mrs. Martin take to London?
(a) The 9:30 train.
(b) She takes a cab.
(c) The same train as Mr. Martin.
(d) The same train as Mrs. Smith.
3. In the last scene of the play, who would Mr. Martin like to slap?
(a) Mrs. Smith.
(c) Mrs. Martin.
(d) Mr. Smith.
4. According to Mr. Martin, what improves social progress?
5. What comment does Mrs. Smith make about the Fire Chief's story, "The Headcold"?
(a) It must be true because colds are terribly common.
(c) Almost unbelievable.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mrs. Smith, what is the reason for a ringing doorbell?
2. Why didn't Mrs. Smith bring the bottle of Australian Burgundy to the table?
3. According to Mrs. Martin, what is honorable?
4. What conclusion do Mr. and Mrs. Martin reach at the end of their discussion?
5. Before he leaves, what comment does the Fire Chief make that causes embarrassment to the other characters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Mr. and Mrs. Martin's daughter.
2. What comedic coincidences exist in the play?
3. Why does the Fire Chief have difficulty finding a fire?
4. Describe Mrs. Martin.
5. How are pity and fear used to evoke a response from the audience?
6. How do the characters deviate from their assigned stations in life?
7. Describe the plot behind Mrs. Smith's story of the man who bought flowers.
8. How does Mr. Smith know the Fire Chief?
9. Describe the setting of the play.
10. Describe the Smith children.
This section contains 1,324 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)