|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why didn't Mrs. Smith bring the bottle of Australian Burgundy to the table?
(a) Mr. Smith wanted rum instead.
(b) She wanted to set a good example for the children.
(c) The bottle was empty.
(d) It clashed with the tablecloth.
2. Which part of the alphabet does Mrs Martin quote in the last scene?
(c) The second half.
(d) The first half.
3. According to Mrs. Smith, what other position does a Fire Chief hold?
(a) A conductor.
(b) A confessor.
(c) Police Chief.
4. According to Mrs. Smith, why does she need to learn Spanish?
(a) To make herself understood.
(b) To read the newspaper.
(c) To chat with Mary.
(d) To talk to Mr. Smith.
5. What are the Smiths doing while Mary recites her poem?
(c) Drinking tea.
(d) Pushing her offstage.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what street does Mr. Martin live?
2. What is unusual about the lighting at the end of the last scene?
3. Why is the Fire Chief disappointed?
4. When traveling to London by train, in what class compartment does Mr. Martin ride?
5. Why can't Mrs. Smith read the clock?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting of the play.
2. How are the characters emotionally distant and disconnected?
3. How does Mr. Smith know the Fire Chief?
4. How does the conversation among the Smiths and the Martins change after the Fire Chief leaves?
5. What is the point of the story, "The Headcold"?
6. Describe Mr. Smith.
7. How is repetition used as a literary device?
8. What comedic coincidences exist in the play?
9. Describe the Smith children.
10. Describe the story of the calf that gave birth to a cow.
This section contains 1,260 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)