|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Mr. Smith's story, "The Snake and the Fox", what new feature does the snake obviously possess?
2. According to Mrs. Martin, what can't a person buy for his grandfather?
(b) A grandmother.
(c) A pocketknife.
3. Why didn't Mr. Martin see himself in the mirror that morning?
(a) He was downstairs finishing his tea.
(b) He was too busy.
(c) He wasn't there yet.
(d) He did not have his reading glasses.
4. Where do the Smith's live?
(a) The suburbs of London.
(b) The city of London.
5. In the story, "The Headcold", who caught the cold?
(a) The Fire Chief's brother-in law
(c) The priest's grandmother.
(d) The fourth-class petty officer of the Royal Navy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Martin want the Fire Chief to retell the story of "The Headcold"?
2. What is Mrs. Watson's profession?
3. Which character suddenly says, "I've been goosed."?
4. What is unusual about Mrs. Smith's statement about having changed her dress?
5. What excuse does Mrs. Smith give for Mr. Smith's ill temper?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the characters deviate from their assigned stations in life?
2. What argument centers around the Watson family?
3. Describe the plot and the moral behind the story, "The Dog and the Cow."
4. How is repetition used as a literary device?
5. How are the characters emotionally distant and disconnected?
6. How is mediocrity presented in the play?
7. How does the Fire Chief settle the argument over the doorbell?
8. Describe the Fire Chief.
9. What topic begins the conversation of the play?
10. Describe Mrs. Martin.
This section contains 1,278 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)