|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character does Mrs. Smith advise to read poetry before a mirror?
(b) Mr. Smith.
(c) Mrs. Martin.
(d) Mr. Martin.
2. According to Mrs. Smith, what was saltier than the soup?
(a) The tarts.
(b) Mr. Smith.
(c) The biscuits.
(d) The air.
3. What does Mr. Smith enjoy when he is in the country?
(a) Solitude and quiet.
(b) His tea.
4. According to Mrs. Martin, what did the third wife from the story "The Headcold" do while sitting on a hornet's nest?
(a) Recite poetry.
(b) Eat chicken.
(c) Drink tea.
(d) Eat scones.
5. According to Mr. Martin, what other job might a maid like Mary be able to perform?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Mr. and Mrs. Smith attend Bobby Watson's funeral?
2. What did Mrs. Martin see a man doing on the Underground?
3. What treatment does Dr. Mackenzie-King recommend for appendicitis?
4. According to the Fire Chief, who rang the doorbell the third time?
5. What did Mary buy for herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does the outcome of the play have on the characters?
2. How do Mary and the Fire Chief shock the Smiths and the Martins?
3. Describe the setting of the play.
4. What is the point of the story, "The Headcold"?
5. Describe Mrs. Martin.
6. How is the plot developed in the play?
7. Describe the story of "The Cock."
8. What comedic coincidences exist in the play?
9. How did Mary spend her day before the Martins arrive?
10. How is contradiction used as a literary device?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)