|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what street does Mr. Martin live?
(a) Bromfield Street.
(b) Martin Ave.
(c) Cherry Lane.
(d) Piccadilly Street.
2. According to Mr. Smith, what is the reason for a ringing doorbell?
(a) No one is at the door.
(b) The tea is ready.
(c) Someone is at the door waiting to be admitted.
(d) The fire is out.
3. Whom does Mary embrace after the stories have been told?
(a) Mrs. Smith.
(b) The Fire Chief.
(c) Bobby Watson.
(d) Mr. Smith.
4. How does the Fire Chief act in response to Mrs. Smith's request?
(a) He sits down without removing his helmet.
(b) He stands in front of the divan.
(c) He eats the scones, but does not pour the tea.
(d) He answers the door.
5. What comment does Mrs. Martin make about Mary's poem?
(a) It was marvelous.
(b) It sent chills up her spine.
(c) It was timid, dull, and exciting.
(d) There was a certain warmth in the lines.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Smith recommend giving the Watsons for a wedding present?
2. In the story, "The Headcold", who caught the cold?
3. Why is Mr. Smith angry when he meets the Martins?
4. Who might pay for the Watson children's schooling?
5. Why does Mrs. Smith kiss the Fire Chief?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Bobby Watson?
2. What cycle exists in the play?
3. What illogical elements exist in the play?
4. What satirical elements exist in the play?
5. How does the play parody English society?
6. How do the characters react to Mary's poem, "The Fire"?
7. What point is Ionesco attempting to make about conversation?
8. How are pity and fear used to evoke a response from the audience?
9. Describe the Fire Chief.
10. How do Mary and the Fire Chief shock the Smiths and the Martins?
This section contains 1,360 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)