|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What train does Mrs. Martin take to London?
(a) She takes a cab.
(b) The same train as Mr. Martin.
(c) The 9:30 train.
(d) The same train as Mrs. Smith.
2. What observation does Mr. Smith make about the human heart?
(a) It does not really exist.
(b) It is easily fooled.
(c) It is ageless.
(d) It is easily broken.
3. What city do the Martin's have in common?
(d) New York.
4. Whom did Dr. Mackenzie-King operate on before he operated on Parker?
(c) Mr. Smith.
(d) Mrs. Smith.
5. How does Mrs. Smith respond to the Fire Chief's embarrassing comment?
(a) The bald soprano?
(b) A truly Cartesian quarter of an hour.
(c) It ticks.
(d) She always wears her hair in the same style.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Fire Chief, who rang the doorbell the third time?
2. Whom does Mrs. Smith believe is dishonest?
3. How does Mary contradict Mr. and Mrs. Martin's conclusion?
4. When traveling to London by train, in what class compartment does Mrs. Martin ride?
5. What are the Smiths doing while Mary recites her poem?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Fire Chief leave the Smiths' house?
2. What is the significance of the mirror?
3. What illogical elements exist in the play?
4. Describe the story of "The Snake and the Fox."
5. How is the play both a comedy and a tragedy?
6. How is mediocrity presented in the play?
7. Describe Mr. Martin.
8. What satirical elements exist in the play?
9. Describe the plot and the moral behind the story, "The Dog and the Cow."
10. How do the characters react to Mary's poem, "The Fire"?
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)