|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What constantly interrupts Mrs. Martin's storytelling?
(a) A gong.
(b) A ringing doorbell.
(c) Mary's movement in and out of the room.
(d) A ringing telephone.
2. Why does Mr. Smith refuse to follow the advice he is given by the Fire Chief?
(a) He cannot find the matches.
(b) He does not want tea.
(c) It is raining.
(d) He already kissed his wife.
3. What conclusion do Mr. and Mrs. Martin reach at the end of their discussion?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) They are married.
(c) They are siblings.
(d) They do not know each other.
4. Why didn't Mr. Martin see himself in the mirror that morning?
(a) He was too busy.
(b) He wasn't there yet.
(c) He did not have his reading glasses.
(d) He was downstairs finishing his tea.
5. In the Fire Chief's story, "The Cock", which animal did the cock wish to play?
(a) The chicken.
(b) The calf.
(c) The cow.
(d) The dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which mildly offensive word does Mrs. Smith begin to chant after Mr. Smith begins his bird name chant?
2. How many helpings of fish did Mrs. Smith have at dinner?
3. What orders has the Fire Chief been given?
4. What would Mr. Martin rather do than steal an ox?
5. What is the mood of the characters in the last scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Fire Chief leave the Smiths' house?
2. How does the play parody English society?
3. Describe the Smith children.
4. What unspoken rules of society are broken by the characters?
5. What role does the clock play in the drama?
6. How do the characters react to Mary's poem, "The Fire"?
7. How do the characters deviate from their assigned stations in life?
8. Describe Mrs. Martin.
9. What is the purpose of the meaningless banter among the characters?
10. What official business has the Fire Chief visiting the Smiths?
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)