|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what street does Mr. Martin live?
(a) Martin Ave.
(b) Piccadilly Street.
(c) Cherry Lane.
(d) Bromfield Street.
2. In the last scene of the play, who would Mr. Martin like to slap?
(a) Mrs. Smith.
(b) Mr. Smith.
(c) Mrs. Martin.
3. According to Mr. Martin, what other job might a maid like Mary be able to perform?
4. According to Mrs. Smith, what must one look out of in real life?
(a) The door.
(b) The window.
(c) Thin air.
(d) Rose tinted glasses.
5. What time is it when the clock strikes 17 times at the beginning of the play?
(a) Seventeen o'clock.
(b) Seven o'clock.
(c) Twelve o'clock.
(d) Nine o'clock.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Martin want the Fire Chief to retell the story of "The Headcold"?
2. What line do all the characters on stage chant at the end of the last scene?
3. What is the mood of the characters in the last scene?
4. According to Mr. Martin, what should a person do if he catches a cold?
5. According to the Fire Chief, why can't he put out a fire at a naturalized citizen's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ironic elements exist in the play?
2. How is contradiction used as a literary device?
3. How is Realism used in the play?
4. Describe the Fire Chief.
5. What role does the clock play in the drama?
6. How do Mary and the Fire Chief shock the Smiths and the Martins?
7. What topic begins the conversation of the play?
8. What point is Ionesco attempting to make about conversation?
9. What is the point of the story, "The Headcold"?
10. Describe the plot behind Mrs. Smith's story of the man who bought flowers.
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)