|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Mr. Smith's story, "The Snake and the Fox", what new feature does the snake obviously possess?
2. Where do the Smith's live?
(a) The suburbs of London.
(b) The city of London.
3. Which part of the alphabet does Mrs Martin quote in the last scene?
(c) The second half.
(d) The first half.
4. What orders has the Fire Chief been given?
(a) To extinguish all the fires in the city.
(b) To kiss all the pretty ladies.
(c) To ring all the bells in the city.
(d) To have his tea.
5. What comment does Mr. Martin make about Mary's poem?
(a) It was marvelous.
(b) It was timid, dull, and exciting.
(c) It sent chills up his spine.
(d) There was a certain warmth in the lines.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mr. Smith, what is the reason for a ringing doorbell?
2. How long was the Fire Chief standing outside the house by the door?
3. What advice does the Fire Chief give the Smiths after the doorbell discussion has ended?
4. What poem does Mary recite?
5. What is Mrs. Martin's first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the plot developed in the play?
2. What cycle exists in the play?
3. What comedic coincidences exist in the play?
4. Why are the Smiths angry with Mary when she announces the arrival of the Martins?
5. How is contradiction used as a literary device?
6. Describe Mrs. Martin.
7. What satirical elements exist in the play?
8. What dull story does Mrs. Martin tell to amaze Mr. Martin and the Smiths?
9. What official business has the Fire Chief visiting the Smiths?
10. How do Mary and the Fire Chief shock the Smiths and the Martins?
This section contains 1,258 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)