|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What food does the Smith's daughter prefer?
(a) Bacon and eggs.
(b) Tea and scones.
(c) Milk and porridge.
(d) Eggs and ham.
2. What is unusual about the lighting at the end of the last scene?
(a) The stage is black while the characters are speaking.
(b) The lights flicker on and off.
(c) The lighting turns red while Mr. Smith is speaking.
(d) The lighting turns blue while Mrs. Smith is speaking.
3. Who is at the door when Mrs. Smith opens it?
(a) The Martins.
(b) The Fire Chief.
(c) No one.
4. What poem does Mary recite?
(a) The Blaze.
(c) Poor Poetry.
(d) The Fire.
5. According to the Fire Chief, who is insured against fires?
(a) The match dealer.
(b) The mayor.
(c) The Vicar of Wakefield
(d) The fire department.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mary?
2. In Mr. Smith's story, "The Snake and the Fox", what weapon does the fox possess?
3. According to Mr. Martin, what is below the ceiling?
4. Whom does Mr. Smith believe is honest?
5. What observation does Mr. Smith make about the human heart?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conflicts arise in the play and how are they resolved?
2. How are the characters emotionally distant and disconnected?
3. What illogical elements exist in the play?
4. What role does the clock play in the drama?
5. How does the conversation among the Smiths and the Martins change after the Fire Chief leaves?
6. What argument centers around the Watson family?
7. Describe the story of the calf that gave birth to a cow.
8. Describe the story of "The Snake and the Fox."
9. What revelation does Mary give about the Martin family?
10. How do the characters deviate from their assigned stations in life?
This section contains 1,456 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)