|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mr. Smith, what will happen if one caresses a circle?
(a) It will turn vicious.
(b) It will melt.
(c) One might face a vicious lawsuit in the morning.
2. Whom does Mr. Smith wish would marry his maid?
(a) A monophysite priest.
(b) Mr. Martin.
(c) William, the shop-assistant.
(d) The Fire Chief.
3. Why does Mrs. Smith scold Mary?
(a) For missing dinner.
(b) For being arrested.
(c) For going out that afternoon.
(d) For sleeping on the divan.
4. According to Mr. Martin, if a person sells an ox today, what will he have tomorrow?
(a) A chicken.
(c) An egg.
(d) Sore toes.
5. How does Mr. Smith claim to know the Fire Chief's mother?
(a) She courted Mr. Smith.
(b) They rode the train together.
(c) She was Mr. Smith's first wife.
(d) She was in the kitchen when it caught fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Mr. Martin rather do than steal an ox?
2. What rare item does the grocer Popesco Rosenfeld sell?
3. What did Mrs. Martin see a man doing on the Underground?
4. In the Fire Chief's story, "The Cock", which animal did the cock wish to play?
5. According to Mrs. Smith, why does she need to learn Spanish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the story of "The Cock."
2. Describe the protagonist and antagonist of the play.
3. How do the characters deviate from their assigned stations in life?
4. What is the significance of the mirror?
5. What dull story does Mrs. Martin tell to amaze Mr. Martin and the Smiths?
6. What revelation does Mary give about the Martin family?
7. Describe the story of "The Snake and the Fox."
8. How do the characters react to Mary's poem, "The Fire"?
9. How is the play both a comedy and a tragedy?
10. What effect does the outcome of the play have on the characters?
This section contains 1,337 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)