|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the trade held by all the Watsons?
(a) Commerical traveler.
(c) Voice teacher.
2. How does Mrs. Smith offer to help the Fire Chief?
(a) She offers to go search for a fire.
(b) She points out the door.
(c) She offers to pour the tea.
(d) She is willing to give him a kiss.
3. Why can't Mrs. Smith read the clock?
(a) She does not have her reading glasses.
(b) It is running backwards.
(c) She must pour the tea.
(d) It is contradictory, and indicates the opposite of the hour.
4. Why does Mrs. Martin want the Fire Chief to retell the story of "The Headcold"?
(a) She wanted to write it down.
(b) She wants Mary to hear the story.
(c) She loved the story.
(d) She could not follow the story.
5. According to Mr. Martin, who is William?
(a) A typist.
(b) A clerk.
(c) A monophysite priest.
(d) A shop-assistant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse does Mrs. Smith give for Mr. Smith's ill temper?
2. How does Mr. Smith know the Fire Chief?
3. What question does the Fire Chief ask the Martins?
4. What silly name do Mrs. Smith and Mr. Martin create out of Robert Browning and Rudyard Kipling's names?
5. According to Mrs. Smith, what was saltier than the soup?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the plot developed in the play?
2. What conflicts arise in the play and how are they resolved?
3. How is Realism used in the play?
4. What ironic elements exist in the play?
5. How is contradiction used as a literary device?
6. Describe Mr. Smith.
7. How do Mary and the Fire Chief shock the Smiths and the Martins?
8. Why does the Fire Chief have difficulty finding a fire?
9. How are nonsensical words used in the play?
10. What role does the clock play in the drama?
This section contains 1,271 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)