|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Fire Chief's story about the young calf, why did the calf give birth to a cow?
(a) It was in a hurry.
(b) The cow was too lazy to birth the calf.
(c) It was trying to improve the stock.
(d) It ate too much ground glass.
2. According to Mrs. Smith, what must one look out of in real life?
(a) The window.
(b) The door.
(c) Rose tinted glasses.
(d) Thin air.
3. According to Mrs. Martin, what can't a person buy for his grandfather?
(a) A grandmother.
(b) A pocketknife.
4. How does Mrs. Smith respond to the Fire Chief's embarrassing comment?
(a) It ticks.
(b) A truly Cartesian quarter of an hour.
(c) She always wears her hair in the same style.
(d) The bald soprano?
5. Where do the Smith's live?
(c) The suburbs of London.
(d) The city of London.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Mr. Smith's story, "The Snake and the Fox", what new feature does the snake obviously possess?
2. What is the name of Mr. Martin's daughter?
3. What is unusual about the lighting at the end of the last scene?
4. What is the mood of the characters in the last scene?
5. How long was the Fire Chief standing outside the house by the door?
Short Essay Questions
1. What cycle exists in the play?
2. Describe Mrs. Martin.
3. Describe Mr. Smith.
4. Describe Mary.
5. What drama unfolds as the Martins wait for the Smiths?
6. How is the plot developed in the play?
7. How did Mary spend her day before the Martins arrive?
8. How does the conversation among the Smiths and the Martins change after the Fire Chief leaves?
9. How are pity and fear used to evoke a response from the audience?
10. Describe the story of "The Snake and the Fox."
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)