|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mrs. Martin, when can one sit down in a chair?
(a) When the chair doesn't have any.
(b) When the sun has set.
(c) When the day is done.
(d) When the floor is too hard.
2. According to the Fire Chief, how does he know Mary?
(a) She is his cousin.
(b) She was in the kitchen when he was putting out the fire.
(c) She extinguished his first fires.
(d) She poured him tea last Tuesday.
3. What conclusion do Mr. and Mrs. Martin reach at the end of their discussion?
(a) They are siblings.
(b) They do not know each other.
(c) They are married.
(d) They are cousins.
4. According to Mrs. Smith, what other position does a Fire Chief hold?
(b) A confessor.
(c) A conductor.
(d) Police Chief.
5. How does Mrs. Smith respond to the Fire Chief's embarrassing comment?
(a) A truly Cartesian quarter of an hour.
(b) It ticks.
(c) She always wears her hair in the same style.
(d) The bald soprano?
Short Answer Questions
1. What observation does Mr. Smith make about Bobby Watson's corpse?
2. What silly name do Mrs. Smith and Mr. Martin create out of Robert Browning and Rudyard Kipling's names?
3. How did Mary spend her afternoon?
4. What is Mrs. Martin's first name?
5. According to Mr. Martin, what is a staff?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comedic coincidences exist in the play?
2. How does the play parody English society?
3. How is mediocrity presented in the play?
4. Describe the setting of the play.
5. Describe Mr. Martin.
6. Describe the story of "The Snake and the Fox."
7. How did Mary spend her day before the Martins arrive?
8. What ironic elements exist in the play?
9. Describe Mary.
10. Describe the plot and the moral behind the story, "The Dog and the Cow."
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)