|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unusual about Mrs. Smith's statement about having changed her dress?
(a) Her dress is on backwards.
(b) She is wearing a bathrobe.
(c) She is still wearing the same clothes as before.
(d) She is wearing Mr. Smith's suit.
2. What inconsistencies exist about Mr. and Mrs. Watson's children?
(a) Whether any children actually exist.
(b) Their names.
(c) Their appearances.
(d) If they are really brother and sister.
3. Why did the Fire Chief stand outside by the door for a long time before ringing the bell?
(a) He was looking for a fire.
(b) He was talking to Mary.
(c) He was thinking.
(d) He was humming.
4. What is the mood of the characters in the last scene?
5. How long was the Fire Chief standing outside the house by the door?
(a) 45 minutes.
(b) A day.
(c) Only a moment.
(d) 5 minutes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Fire Chief ring the doorbell?
2. Whom did Dr. Mackenzie-King operate on before he operated on Parker?
3. What inconsistencies exist about Mrs. Watson's appearance?
4. To what does Mr. Smith compare doctors and their patients?
5. Whom does Mr. Smith wish would marry his maid?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the characters react to Mary's poem, "The Fire"?
2. What drama unfolds as the Martins wait for the Smiths?
3. Describe the plot and the moral behind the story, "The Dog and the Cow."
4. Why are the Smiths angry with Mary when she announces the arrival of the Martins?
5. How are pity and fear used to evoke a response from the audience?
6. Describe Mrs. Smith.
7. Describe Mr. Martin.
8. What is the purpose of the meaningless banter among the characters?
9. Describe Mary.
10. Describe the setting of the play.
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)