|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mary?
(a) The Smith's daughter.
(b) The next door neighbor.
(c) The Smith's cook and maid.
(d) The Martin's cook and maid.
2. What did Mary buy for herself?
(a) A bottle of rum.
(b) A robin.
(c) A chamber pot.
(d) A scarf.
3. According to the Fire Chief, who puts out the Vicar's fires?
(a) The vicar can not have any fires.
(b) Vestal virgins.
(c) The Almighty.
4. Which character admits to reading poetry before a mirror?
(a) Mrs. Martin.
(c) Mr. Smith.
(d) Mr. Martin.
5. What does Mrs. Martin offer to trade for a coffin?
(a) Mr. Martin.
(b) Her mother-in-law's slippers.
(c) A gold ring.
(d) A silver salver.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story, "The Headcold", who caught the cold?
2. In the last scene of the play, who would Mr. Martin like to slap?
3. Which character suddenly says, "I've been goosed."?
4. What rare item does the grocer Popesco Rosenfeld sell?
5. What is the trade held by all the Watsons?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Bobby Watson?
2. What is the significance of the Martins beginning the play at the end of the drama?
3. How is contradiction used as a literary device?
4. How did Mary spend her day before the Martins arrive?
5. How is the play both a comedy and a tragedy?
6. How is Realism used in the play?
7. Describe the Fire Chief.
8. How do the characters react to Mary's poem, "The Fire"?
9. How is mediocrity presented in the play?
10. Why are the Smiths angry with Mary when she announces the arrival of the Martins?
This section contains 1,294 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)