|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which part of the alphabet does Mr. Smith quote in the last scene?
(c) The first half.
(d) The second half.
2. What is the Fire Chief's verbal answer to Mrs. Smith's request?
(a) He says he will take off his helmet, but cannot sit.
(b) He denies knowing how to answer a door properly.
(c) He says he will sit on the divan.
(d) He agress to pour the tea.
3. According to Mr. Martin, if a person sells an ox today, what will he have tomorrow?
(a) An egg.
(b) A chicken.
(d) Sore toes.
4. Why does Mrs. Smith kiss the Fire Chief?
(a) She finds him charming.
(b) He is collecting kisses.
(c) He pretends to be Mr. Smith.
(d) He claims to have saved her life.
5. What does Mr. Smith enjoy when he is in the country?
(a) Solitude and quiet.
(c) His tea.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mr. Smith, why was the second Marie from the story "The Headcold" also named Marie?
2. According to Mr. Smith, what will happen if one caresses a circle?
3. Which character does Mrs. Smith advise to read poetry before a mirror?
4. Why didn't Mrs. Smith bring the bottle of Australian Burgundy to the table?
5. What orders has the Fire Chief been given?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Fire Chief leave the Smiths' house?
2. How are nonsensical words used in the play?
3. What effect does the outcome of the play have on the characters?
4. What is the significance of the Martins beginning the play at the end of the drama?
5. How is the play both a comedy and a tragedy?
6. What ironic elements exist in the play?
7. How is the plot developed in the play?
8. How does Mr. Smith know the Fire Chief?
9. Describe the setting of the play.
10. Describe Mr. Smith.
This section contains 1,233 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)