|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the Fire Chief stand outside by the door for a long time before ringing the bell?
(a) He was thinking.
(b) He was humming.
(c) He was talking to Mary.
(d) He was looking for a fire.
2. In the Fire Chief's story about the young calf, why did the calf give birth to a cow?
(a) It ate too much ground glass.
(b) It was in a hurry.
(c) The cow was too lazy to birth the calf.
(d) It was trying to improve the stock.
3. Why can't the Fire Chief retell the story of "The Headcold"?
(a) He can't remember it.
(b) He must put out a fire in the kitchen.
(c) He doesn't know if he has enough time.
(d) He is too tired.
4. According to Mr. Smith, what must one always think of?
5. Whom does Mr. Martin claim is going crazy?
(a) Mrs. Martin.
(b) Mrs. Smith.
(d) The Fire Chief.
6. According to Mrs. Smith, what other position does a Fire Chief hold?
(a) Police Chief.
(b) A confessor.
(c) A conductor.
7. According to Mr. Martin, who is Nancy?
(a) A monophysite priest.
(b) A shop-assistant.
(c) A clerk.
(d) A typist.
8. What is Mrs. Watson's first name?
9. How does Mr. Smith know the Fire Chief?
(a) They rode the train together.
(b) He is an old friend of the family.
(c) He is Mrs. Smith's first husband.
(d) He just put out a fire in the kitchen.
10. In the last scene, where does Mr. Smith wish to live?
(a) In a treehouse in London park.
(b) Somewhere over the rainbow.
(c) In the south of France.
(d) In his cabana among his cacao trees.
11. Why didn't Mrs. Smith bring the bottle of Australian Burgundy to the table?
(a) It clashed with the tablecloth.
(b) She wanted to set a good example for the children.
(c) The bottle was empty.
(d) Mr. Smith wanted rum instead.
12. How does Mr. Smith claim to know the Fire Chief's mother?
(a) She was Mr. Smith's first wife.
(b) They rode the train together.
(c) She courted Mr. Smith.
(d) She was in the kitchen when it caught fire.
13. In Mr. Smith's story, "The Snake and the Fox", what weapon does the fox possess?
(a) A knife.
(b) A bow.
(c) A sword.
(d) A gun.
14. According to Mr. Smith, what are the names of the Watson children?
(a) John and Sherlock.
(b) Mary and Bobby.
(c) Bobby and Bobby.
(d) Mary and Mary.
15. What food does the Smith's daughter prefer?
(a) Eggs and ham.
(b) Bacon and eggs.
(c) Tea and scones.
(d) Milk and porridge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Smiths doing while Mary recites her poem?
2. When did Bobby Watson die?
3. What does Bobby Watson do on Tuesdays?
4. Why doesn't Mr. Smith believe that Dr. Mackenzie-King is a good doctor?
5. What does the Fire Chief expect to see later that evening?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)