|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mrs. Martin, what does she prefer over a sparrow in a barrow?
(a) A robin in a bobbin.
(b) An eagle on the wing.
(c) A bird in the bush.
(d) A sprite in the night.
2. According to Mr. Martin, who is Nancy?
(a) A shop-assistant.
(b) A typist.
(c) A clerk.
(d) A monophysite priest.
3. How does Mary contradict Mr. and Mrs. Martin's conclusion?
(a) She sighs and says, "Just like last week."
(b) She reprimands them for being foolish.
(c) She applauds.
(d) She says they are not who they claim to be.
4. According to the Fire Chief, who is insured against fires?
(a) The match dealer.
(b) The mayor.
(c) The fire department.
(d) The Vicar of Wakefield
5. Why doesn't Mr. Smith believe that Dr. Mackenzie-King is a good doctor?
(a) A conscientious doctor should die with his patient.
(b) Mary developed the hiccups.
(c) The doctor left a hole in his side.
(d) Mrs. Smith died.
6. According to Mrs. Martin, what can't a person buy for his grandfather?
(b) A grandmother.
(c) A pocketknife.
7. On what street does Mr. Martin live?
(a) Cherry Lane.
(b) Piccadilly Street.
(c) Martin Ave.
(d) Bromfield Street.
8. How does Mr. Martin bid the Fire Chief farewell?
(a) Burn well!
(b) Good luck, and a good fire!
(c) See you in cinders!
(d) Smouldering, always smouldering.
9. According to Mr. Martin, where does charity begin?
(a) In the bedroom.
(b) At church.
(c) At home.
(d) Over the hedge.
10. Why did the Fire Chief ring the doorbell?
(a) To finish the tea.
(b) He did not ring the bell.
(c) To put out the fire.
(d) To be admitted to the house.
11. According to Mr. Smith, why was the second Marie from the story "The Headcold" also named Marie?
(a) Because she was blonde, like the first Marie.
(b) Because she was a typist, like the first Marie.
(c) They are twins.
(d) She is the second cousin twice removed of the first Marie.
12. What did Mrs. Martin see a man doing on the Underground?
(a) Running up and down the tracks.
(b) Reading a newspaper.
(c) Tying his shoelace.
13. What city do the Martin's have in common?
(b) New York.
14. What are the Smiths doing while Mary recites her poem?
(b) Drinking tea.
(c) Pushing her offstage.
15. How does Mr. Smith claim to know the Fire Chief's mother?
(a) They rode the train together.
(b) She courted Mr. Smith.
(c) She was in the kitchen when it caught fire.
(d) She was Mr. Smith's first wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Mr. Smith believe is honest?
2. Which character does Mrs. Smith advise to read poetry before a mirror?
3. Why is Mr. Smith angry when he meets the Martins?
4. To what does Mr. Smith compare doctors and their patients?
5. Whom does Mr. Smith wish would marry his maid?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)