|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mrs. Martin, what did the third wife from the story "The Headcold" do while sitting on a hornet's nest?
(a) Eat scones.
(b) Recite poetry.
(c) Eat chicken.
(d) Drink tea.
2. What observation does Mr. Smith make about the human heart?
(a) It is easily broken.
(b) It is easily fooled.
(c) It is ageless.
(d) It does not really exist.
3. When did Mr. and Mrs. Smith attend Bobby Watson's funeral?
(a) A year and a half before the time in which the play is set.
(b) Two months before the time in which the play is set.
(c) Two years before the time in which the play is set.
(d) The day before yesterday.
4. What is the name of Mr. Martin's daughter?
5. Which machine does Mrs. Smith imitate in the last scene?
(a) A bulldozer.
(b) A train.
(c) A lorry.
(d) A tractor.
6. What train does Mrs. Martin take to London?
(a) The same train as Mrs. Smith.
(b) The 9:30 train.
(c) She takes a cab.
(d) The same train as Mr. Martin.
7. What comment does Mrs. Martin make about Mary's poem?
(a) It was timid, dull, and exciting.
(b) There was a certain warmth in the lines.
(c) It sent chills up her spine.
(d) It was marvelous.
8. What rare item does the grocer Popesco Rosenfeld sell?
9. What is the trade held by all the Watsons?
(b) Commerical traveler.
(c) Voice teacher.
10. What question does the Fire Chief ask the Smiths?
(a) Where is the door?
(b) Is there a fire here?
(c) Have you a light?
(d) Where is the tea?
11. Why is Mr. Smith angry when he meets the Martins?
(a) He was not expecting visitors.
(b) Mr. Martin is wearing his suit.
(c) He is hungry and has been waiting for them to arrive.
(d) He thinks the Martins have already eaten.
12. When traveling to London by train, in which coach does Mr. Martin sit?
(a) Coach No. 2.
(b) Coach No. 1.
(c) The Engine.
(d) Coach No. 8.
13. What nickname does Mary give herself?
(d) Little firehose.
14. Which character admits to reading poetry before a mirror?
(b) Mr. Martin.
(c) Mrs. Martin.
(d) Mr. Smith.
15. What does the Fire Chief expect to see later that evening?
(a) A straw fire and a little heartburn.
(b) A roaring blaze at his flat.
(c) A movie.
(d) A beautiful sunset.
Short Answer Questions
1. What appears unusual about Mr. and Mrs. Martin's relationship during their first scene?
2. According to Mrs. Martin, when can one sit down in a chair?
3. What city do the Martin's have in common?
4. What is the Fire Chief's verbal answer to Mrs. Smith's request?
5. What is Mrs. Watson's profession?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)