|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mrs. Martin, what did the third wife from the story "The Headcold" do while sitting on a hornet's nest?
(a) Drink tea.
(b) Eat scones.
(c) Recite poetry.
(d) Eat chicken.
2. Which mildly offensive word does Mrs. Smith begin to chant after Mr. Smith begins his bird name chant?
(b) Doo doo.
(c) Poo Poo.
(d) Darn it.
3. According to Mr. Martin, if a person sells an ox today, what will he have tomorrow?
(a) Sore toes.
(b) An egg.
(d) A chicken.
4. Which character admits to reading poetry before a mirror?
(b) Mrs. Martin.
(c) Mr. Smith.
(d) Mr. Martin.
5. Why does Mrs. Smith believe the Martins must have interesting stories to tell?
(a) They have had an adventurous day.
(b) Because they are entertainers.
(c) Because the television is broken.
(d) Because they travel a great deal.
6. What did Mary buy for herself?
(a) A bottle of rum.
(b) A scarf.
(c) A robin.
(d) A chamber pot.
7. How does Mrs. Smith offer to help the Fire Chief?
(a) She is willing to give him a kiss.
(b) She offers to pour the tea.
(c) She offers to go search for a fire.
(d) She points out the door.
8. What is the mood of the characters in the last scene?
9. Why did Mrs. Smith find no one at the door the third time the doorbell rang?
(a) Mr. Smith was hiding.
(b) The Fire Chief was already in the kitchen.
(c) The Fire Chief was hiding.
(d) Mr. Smith was in the kitchen.
10. According to Mrs. Smith, what is the reason for a ringing doorbell?
(a) The fire is out.
(b) Someone is at the door waiting to be admitted.
(c) The tea is ready.
(d) No one is at the door.
11. According to the Fire Chief, why did the young woman asphyxiate?
(a) She sat for too long.
(b) She was waiting for someone to answer the door.
(c) She thought her gas was her comb.
(d) She did not drink her tea.
12. What food does the Smith's daughter prefer?
(a) Bacon and eggs.
(b) Tea and scones.
(c) Eggs and ham.
(d) Milk and porridge.
13. In the story, "The Headcold", what was blonde Marie's profession?
(a) A monophysite priest.
(b) A grocer.
(c) A schoolteacher.
(d) A typist.
14. What is the trade held by all the Watsons?
(b) Commerical traveler.
(d) Voice teacher.
15. What is Mrs. Watson's first name?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Smith know the Fire Chief?
2. In Mary's poem, what was burning?
3. When traveling to London by train, in what class compartment does Mr. Martin ride?
4. According to Mr. Martin, who is William?
5. According to the Fire Chief, who puts out the Vicar's fires?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)