|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why didn't Mrs. Smith bring the bottle of Australian Burgundy to the table?
(a) She wanted to set a good example for the children.
(b) It clashed with the tablecloth.
(c) Mr. Smith wanted rum instead.
(d) The bottle was empty.
2. In Mr. Smith's story, "The Snake and the Fox", what new feature does the snake obviously possess?
3. What does Mrs. Martin offer to trade for a coffin?
(a) Mr. Martin.
(b) A silver salver.
(c) Her mother-in-law's slippers.
(d) A gold ring.
4. Why does Mr. Smith refuse to follow the advice he is given by the Fire Chief?
(a) He does not want tea.
(b) He already kissed his wife.
(c) It is raining.
(d) He cannot find the matches.
5. What does the Fire Chief expect to see later that evening?
(a) A movie.
(b) A roaring blaze at his flat.
(c) A beautiful sunset.
(d) A straw fire and a little heartburn.
6. When did Mr. and Mrs. Smith attend Bobby Watson's funeral?
(a) Two months before the time in which the play is set.
(b) A year and a half before the time in which the play is set.
(c) Two years before the time in which the play is set.
(d) The day before yesterday.
7. What complaint does Mr. Smith have about women?
(a) They spend all day smoking, powdering their noses and drinking.
(b) They eat too much and drink too little.
(c) They spend all day playing golf and reading romance novels.
(d) They snore and sing in their sleep.
8. In the story, "The Headcold", what was blonde Marie's profession?
(a) A grocer.
(b) A typist.
(c) A schoolteacher.
(d) A monophysite priest.
9. In the Fire Chief's story, "The Cock", which animal did the cock wish to play?
(a) The calf.
(b) The dog.
(c) The chicken.
(d) The cow.
10. Who is Mary?
(a) The next door neighbor.
(b) The Smith's cook and maid.
(c) The Smith's daughter.
(d) The Martin's cook and maid.
11. What rare item does the grocer Popesco Rosenfeld sell?
12. According to Mr. Martin, what time does the 8:30 morning train arrive in London?
(a) 8:30 a.m.
(b) 1:00 a.m.
(c) 4:45 p.m.
(d) 12:00 p.m.
13. Whom does Mr. Smith believe is honest?
(a) Dr. Mackenzie-King.
(b) The Royal Navy.
(c) No one.
(d) Mrs. Smith.
14. Which machine does Mrs. Smith imitate in the last scene?
(a) A lorry.
(b) A tractor.
(c) A train.
(d) A bulldozer.
15. What conclusion do Mr. and Mrs. Martin reach at the end of their discussion?
(a) They are siblings.
(b) They do not know each other.
(c) They are married.
(d) They are cousins.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Mrs. Smith believe is dishonest?
2. According to Mr. Smith, why was the second Marie from the story "The Headcold" also named Marie?
3. What comment does Mrs. Smith make about the Fire Chief's story, "The Headcold"?
4. In the Fire Chief's story, "The Headcold", what is the main subject of the story?
5. On what street does Mrs. Martin live?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)