|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Mr. Martin claim is going crazy?
(a) Mrs. Martin.
(b) The Fire Chief.
(c) Mrs. Smith.
2. What poem does Mary recite?
(a) The Blaze.
(b) The Fire.
(c) Poor Poetry.
3. Why does Mrs. Martin want the Fire Chief to retell the story of "The Headcold"?
(a) She wanted to write it down.
(b) She loved the story.
(c) She could not follow the story.
(d) She wants Mary to hear the story.
4. Who is Mrs. Smith waiting for to see her at her windmill?
(a) The cat.
(b) Mr. Smith.
(c) The turkeys.
(d) The aquaduct.
5. In the story, "The Headcold", who caught the cold?
(a) The priest's grandmother.
(c) The fourth-class petty officer of the Royal Navy.
(d) The Fire Chief's brother-in law
6. According to Mrs. Smith, what is the reason for a ringing doorbell?
(a) The tea is ready.
(b) The fire is out.
(c) No one is at the door.
(d) Someone is at the door waiting to be admitted.
7. What did Mrs. Martin see a man doing on the Underground?
(a) Running up and down the tracks.
(c) Reading a newspaper.
(d) Tying his shoelace.
8. What is the trade held by all the Watsons?
(b) Commerical traveler.
(c) Voice teacher.
9. When boarding the train to London, how did Mr. Martin assist Mrs. Martin?
(a) He placed her suitcase on the luggage rack.
(b) He held her coat.
(c) He moved to give her the window seat.
(d) He helped her find her seat.
10. According to Mr. Smith, if a schoolmaster teaches his pupils to read, what does a cat do for its young?
(a) Sends them away.
(b) Suckle them when they are small.
(d) Teach them to hunt.
11. According to Mrs. Martin, what does she prefer over a sparrow in a barrow?
(a) A bird in the bush.
(b) A sprite in the night.
(c) An eagle on the wing.
(d) A robin in a bobbin.
12. According to Mrs. Martin, what do cacao trees produce?
13. How does the Fire Chief act in response to Mrs. Smith's request?
(a) He eats the scones, but does not pour the tea.
(b) He stands in front of the divan.
(c) He answers the door.
(d) He sits down without removing his helmet.
14. What train does Mrs. Martin take to London?
(a) The same train as Mr. Martin.
(b) She takes a cab.
(c) The 9:30 train.
(d) The same train as Mrs. Smith.
15. What is the name of Mr. Martin's daughter?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who might pay for the Watson children's schooling?
2. When traveling to London by train, in which coach does Mr. Martin sit?
3. How does Mr. Smith claim to know the Fire Chief's mother?
4. Which character suddenly says, "I've been goosed."?
5. Why does Mr. Smith refuse to follow the advice he is given by the Fire Chief?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)