|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it difficult to identify the members of the Watson clan?
(a) They refuse to be identified as Watsons.
(b) They are all named Bobby.
(c) They keep changing names.
(d) They all look alike.
2. Why didn't Mr. Martin see himself in the mirror that morning?
(a) He wasn't there yet.
(b) He was downstairs finishing his tea.
(c) He was too busy.
(d) He did not have his reading glasses.
3. According to Mr. Smith, if a schoolmaster teaches his pupils to read, what does a cat do for its young?
(a) Teach them to hunt.
(b) Sends them away.
(d) Suckle them when they are small.
4. What complaint does Mrs. Smith have about men?
(a) They spend all day smoking, powdering their noses, and drinking.
(b) They eat too little and drink too much.
(c) They spend all day playing golf and reading romance novels.
(d) They snore and sing in their sleep.
5. In the Fire Chief's story, "The Cock", which animal did the cock wish to play?
(a) The dog.
(b) The cow.
(c) The chicken.
(d) The calf.
6. What product does Mrs. Smith compare from different grocers?
(c) Salad oil.
7. In Mrs. Smith's story, "The Bouquet", why does the fiancé take back the bouquet of flowers?
(a) To paint them yellow.
(b) To get a refund.
(c) To teach his fiancée a lesson.
(d) To give them to his mother.
8. How does Mr. Martin bid the Fire Chief farewell?
(a) Burn well!
(b) See you in cinders!
(c) Good luck, and a good fire!
(d) Smouldering, always smouldering.
9. According to Mrs. Smith, why does she need to learn Spanish?
(a) To chat with Mary.
(b) To talk to Mr. Smith.
(c) To make herself understood.
(d) To read the newspaper.
10. What conclusion do Mr. and Mrs. Martin reach at the end of their discussion?
(a) They are married.
(b) They are siblings.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) They do not know each other.
11. Who is Mary?
(a) The Martin's cook and maid.
(b) The Smith's daughter.
(c) The Smith's cook and maid.
(d) The next door neighbor.
12. Which character admits to reading poetry before a mirror?
(a) Mr. Martin.
(b) Mr. Smith.
(c) Mrs. Martin.
13. According to Mr. Martin, what other job might a maid like Mary be able to perform?
14. What question does the Fire Chief ask the Smiths?
(a) Where is the door?
(b) Have you a light?
(c) Is there a fire here?
(d) Where is the tea?
15. What did Mrs. Martin see a man doing on the Underground?
(a) Reading a newspaper.
(b) Running up and down the tracks.
(d) Tying his shoelace.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Mr. Smith's story, "The Snake and the Fox", what weapon does the fox possess?
2. According to Mr. Martin, if a person sells an ox today, what will he have tomorrow?
3. What did Mary buy for herself?
4. According to the Fire Chief, who rang the doorbell the third time?
5. Why does Mary scold Mr. and Mrs. Martin?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)