|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Mary's poem, what was burning?
2. What appears unusual about Mr. and Mrs. Martin's relationship during their first scene?
(a) They speak only to the Smiths, and not to each other.
(b) They complete each other's sentences.
(c) They refuse to look at each other.
(d) They do not recognize each other.
3. According to Mrs. Martin, what do cacao trees produce?
4. On what street does Mrs. Martin live?
(a) Martin Ave.
(b) Bromfield Street.
(c) Piccadilly Street.
(d) Cherry Lane.
5. In the last scene, where does Mr. Smith wish to live?
(a) In his cabana among his cacao trees.
(b) In the south of France.
(c) In a treehouse in London park.
(d) Somewhere over the rainbow.
6. Which part of the alphabet does Mrs Martin quote in the last scene?
(a) The second half.
(c) The first half.
7. What is the Fire Chief's verbal answer to Mrs. Smith's request?
(a) He says he will sit on the divan.
(b) He denies knowing how to answer a door properly.
(c) He says he will take off his helmet, but cannot sit.
(d) He agress to pour the tea.
8. According to Mrs. Smith, what is the reason for a ringing doorbell?
(a) The fire is out.
(b) Someone is at the door waiting to be admitted.
(c) The tea is ready.
(d) No one is at the door.
9. According to Mrs. Martin, when can one sit down in a chair?
(a) When the chair doesn't have any.
(b) When the floor is too hard.
(c) When the day is done.
(d) When the sun has set.
10. Who is at the door when Mr. Smith opens it?
(b) No one.
(c) The Fire Chief.
(d) The Martins.
11. What complaint does Mr. Smith have about women?
(a) They snore and sing in their sleep.
(b) They spend all day playing golf and reading romance novels.
(c) They spend all day smoking, powdering their noses and drinking.
(d) They eat too much and drink too little.
12. What does Mary want to tell the rest of the cast after all the stories have been told?
(a) Her own story.
(b) She wants to quit.
(c) It is time for bed.
(d) They are ridiculous people.
13. What sound do the Smiths argue about?
(a) The sound of Mary's shoes.
(b) The meaning of a ringing doorbell.
(c) The caller on the telephone.
(d) The meaning of the gong.
14. What inconsistencies exist about Mrs. Watson's appearance?
(a) Her size and height.
(b) Her race.
(c) Her hair color.
(d) The color of her eyes.
15. Whom does Mr. Martin claim is going crazy?
(a) Mrs. Smith.
(b) Mrs. Martin.
(d) The Fire Chief.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Mr. Smith believe is honest?
2. Why didn't Mr. Martin see himself in the mirror that morning?
3. What inconsistencies exist about Mr. and Mrs. Watson's children?
4. How does the Fire Chief act in response to Mrs. Smith's request?
5. According to Mr. Smith, what is the reason for a ringing doorbell?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)