|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What explanation does Mary give for leaving the house?
(a) She heard a beautiful song and followed the notes.
(b) The Smiths had given her permission to leave.
(c) She was thirsty.
(d) She was sleepy.
2. How does the Fire Chief act in response to Mrs. Smith's request?
(a) He stands in front of the divan.
(b) He sits down without removing his helmet.
(c) He eats the scones, but does not pour the tea.
(d) He answers the door.
3. According to Mrs. Smith, what was saltier than the soup?
(a) The biscuits.
(b) The tarts.
(c) The air.
(d) Mr. Smith.
4. On what street does Mr. Martin live?
(a) Cherry Lane.
(b) Martin Ave.
(c) Bromfield Street.
(d) Piccadilly Street.
5. According to Mr. Martin, who is Edward?
(a) A clerk.
(b) A monophysite priest.
(c) A typist.
(d) A shop-assistant.
6. What does Mr. Smith enjoy when he is in the country?
(a) His tea.
(d) Solitude and quiet.
7. Who is at the door when Mrs. Smith opens it?
(a) The Martins.
(c) The Fire Chief.
(d) No one.
8. According to Mrs. Martin, what can't a person buy for his grandfather?
(c) A grandmother.
(d) A pocketknife.
9. What is the Fire Chief's verbal answer to Mrs. Smith's request?
(a) He denies knowing how to answer a door properly.
(b) He says he will take off his helmet, but cannot sit.
(c) He says he will sit on the divan.
(d) He agress to pour the tea.
10. According to the Fire Chief, who is insured against fires?
(a) The fire department.
(b) The mayor.
(c) The match dealer.
(d) The Vicar of Wakefield
11. When did Bobby Watson die?
(a) Two years before the time in which the play is set.
(b) Two months before the time in which the play is set.
(c) The day before yesterday.
(d) He is scheduled to die next Tuesday.
12. Which line causes an abrupt break in the action?
(a) To hell with polishing!
(b) Nevertheless, it was the cow that gave us tails.
(c) When I say yes, it's only a manner of speaking.
(d) You are not old enough yet for that.
13. According to Mr. Martin, what is below the ceiling?
(a) The chair.
(b) The floor.
(d) The lamp.
14. According to the Fire Chief, why did the young woman asphyxiate?
(a) She sat for too long.
(b) She did not drink her tea.
(c) She was waiting for someone to answer the door.
(d) She thought her gas was her comb.
15. Why does Mrs. Smith kiss the Fire Chief?
(a) He pretends to be Mr. Smith.
(b) He claims to have saved her life.
(c) He is collecting kisses.
(d) She finds him charming.
Short Answer Questions
1. What train does Mrs. Martin take to London?
2. How many helpings of fish did Mrs. Smith have at dinner?
3. Why does Mrs. Smith scold Mary?
4. Why does Mr. Smith refuse to follow the advice he is given by the Fire Chief?
5. Who is Mary?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)