|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What train does Mrs. Martin take to London?
(a) The same train as Mr. Martin.
(b) She takes a cab.
(c) The 9:30 train.
(d) The same train as Mrs. Smith.
2. What city do the Martin's have in common?
(d) New York.
3. Whom does Mr. Smith believe is honest?
(a) Dr. Mackenzie-King.
(b) Mrs. Smith.
(c) The Royal Navy.
(d) No one.
4. Whom does Mrs. Smith believe is dishonest?
(a) The Royal Navy.
(b) Mr. Smith.
(d) Dr. Mackenzie-King.
5. Whom does Mr. Smith claim has not been properly brought up?
(b) Mrs. Smith.
(c) Mr. Martin.
(d) The Fire Chief.
6. According to Mr. Martin, what should a person do if he catches a cold?
(a) Run in circles.
(b) Drink tea.
(c) Get a colt.
(d) Stand on his head.
7. What is unusual about the dialogue on the last page of the play?
(a) It is filled with expletives.
(b) It is random and makes no sense.
(c) It is in German.
(d) It is filled with quotes from famous British authors.
8. According to Mrs. Martin, what can't a person buy for his grandfather?
(c) A grandmother.
(d) A pocketknife.
9. According to the Fire Chief, what is the reason for a ringing doorbell?
(a) Sometimes, someone is there and sometimes, no one is there.
(b) To tell the homeowner the fire is out.
(c) The tea is ready but the scones are not always done.
(d) To play a merry tune.
10. According to Mr. Smith, if a schoolmaster teaches his pupils to read, what does a cat do for its young?
(a) Teach them to hunt.
(c) Sends them away.
(d) Suckle them when they are small.
11. Which part of the alphabet does Mrs Martin quote in the last scene?
(b) The first half.
(d) The second half.
12. Why can't the Fire Chief retell the story of "The Headcold"?
(a) He must put out a fire in the kitchen.
(b) He can't remember it.
(c) He is too tired.
(d) He doesn't know if he has enough time.
13. According to the Fire Chief, why can't he put out a fire at a naturalized citizen's house?
(a) They cannot be insured.
(b) They don't have the right to have their fires put out.
(c) They drive on the wrong side of the road.
(d) They do not know how to make tea properly.
14. In Mary's poem, what was burning?
15. According to Mr. Smith, what behavior do Mary and the Fire Chief demonstrate?
(c) Fiery anger.
(d) True love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What inconsistencies exist about Bobby Watson's demise?
2. In the Fire Chief's story, "The Dog and the Cow", why didn't the dog swallow his trunk?
3. What is Mrs. Watson's first name?
4. What is the Fire Chief's verbal answer to Mrs. Smith's request?
5. In the last scene of the play, who would Mr. Martin like to slap?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)