|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Smith enjoy when he is in the country?
(a) His tea.
(d) Solitude and quiet.
2. According to Mrs. Martin, what does she prefer over a sparrow in a barrow?
(a) A bird in the bush.
(b) A robin in a bobbin.
(c) A sprite in the night.
(d) An eagle on the wing.
3. When did Bobby Watson die?
(a) Two years before the time in which the play is set.
(b) He is scheduled to die next Tuesday.
(c) The day before yesterday.
(d) Two months before the time in which the play is set.
4. What product does Mrs. Smith compare from different grocers?
(a) Salad oil.
5. Why does Mrs. Smith scold Mary?
(a) For sleeping on the divan.
(b) For missing dinner.
(c) For being arrested.
(d) For going out that afternoon.
6. How does the Fire Chief act in response to Mrs. Smith's request?
(a) He answers the door.
(b) He sits down without removing his helmet.
(c) He eats the scones, but does not pour the tea.
(d) He stands in front of the divan.
7. Why does Mr. Smith refuse to follow the advice he is given by the Fire Chief?
(a) He does not want tea.
(b) It is raining.
(c) He already kissed his wife.
(d) He cannot find the matches.
8. Why did the Fire Chief stand outside by the door for a long time before ringing the bell?
(a) He was thinking.
(b) He was humming.
(c) He was looking for a fire.
(d) He was talking to Mary.
9. What nickname does Mary give herself?
(b) Little firehose.
10. When do the Watsons not have business competition?
(a) Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.
(b) Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Tuesdays.
(c) Tuesday, Wednesdays, and Sundays.
(d) Tuesdays, Mondays, and Saturdays.
11. How does Mary contradict Mr. and Mrs. Martin's conclusion?
(a) She sighs and says, "Just like last week."
(b) She reprimands them for being foolish.
(c) She applauds.
(d) She says they are not who they claim to be.
12. According to the Fire Chief, what is the reason for a ringing doorbell?
(a) The tea is ready but the scones are not always done.
(b) To play a merry tune.
(c) Sometimes, someone is there and sometimes, no one is there.
(d) To tell the homeowner the fire is out.
13. Why is Mr. Smith angry when he meets the Martins?
(a) He thinks the Martins have already eaten.
(b) Mr. Martin is wearing his suit.
(c) He is hungry and has been waiting for them to arrive.
(d) He was not expecting visitors.
14. According to Mrs. Smith, what other position does a Fire Chief hold?
(a) Police Chief.
(b) A conductor.
(d) A confessor.
15. According to Mrs. Martin, what do cacao trees produce?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mrs. Martin, why have there been so few fires the past year?
2. Which part of the alphabet does Mr. Smith quote in the last scene?
3. According to Mrs. Smith, why does she need to learn Spanish?
4. According to Mr. Martin, what time does the 8:30 morning train arrive in London?
5. What is the name of Mrs. Martin's daughter?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)