|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Mary embrace after the stories have been told?
(a) Mrs. Smith.
(b) The Fire Chief.
(c) Mr. Smith.
(d) Bobby Watson.
2. How long was the Fire Chief standing outside the house by the door?
(a) 45 minutes.
(b) Only a moment.
(c) 5 minutes.
(d) A day.
3. According to Mr. Smith, what must one always think of?
4. In the Fire Chief's story about the young calf, why did the calf give birth to a cow?
(a) It was trying to improve the stock.
(b) The cow was too lazy to birth the calf.
(c) It ate too much ground glass.
(d) It was in a hurry.
5. Which character suddenly says, "I've been goosed."?
(a) Mr. Smith.
(b) Mrs. Smith.
(c) Mr. Martin.
(d) Mrs. Martin.
6. What type of stories does the Fire Chief tell?
(a) Adventure stories.
(b) Fairy tales.
(c) Tall tales.
(d) True stories.
7. What silly name do Mrs. Smith and Mr. Martin create out of Robert Browning and Rudyard Kipling's names?
(a) Rudyard Browning.
(b) Rubert Kiping.
(c) Robyard Brownling.
(d) Robert Kipling.
8. What is Mr. Martin's first name?
9. What product does Mrs. Smith compare from different grocers?
(d) Salad oil.
10. How does Mr. Martin bid the Fire Chief farewell?
(a) Good luck, and a good fire!
(b) Burn well!
(c) Smouldering, always smouldering.
(d) See you in cinders!
11. How does Mr. Smith calm the agitated Mrs. Smith before the Martins arrive?
(a) He slaps her.
(b) He shakes her.
(c) He kisses her.
(d) He recites poetry.
12. According to Mr. Martin, what other job might a maid like Mary be able to perform?
13. In the Fire Chief's story, "The Headcold", what is the main subject of the story?
(b) The cure for the common cold.
(c) A listing of genealogies.
(d) The work of a famous doctor.
14. Whom does Mr. Martin claim is going crazy?
(a) The Fire Chief.
(b) Mrs. Smith.
(c) Mrs. Martin.
15. Before he leaves, what comment does the Fire Chief make that causes embarrassment to the other characters?
(a) It ticks.
(b) A truly Cartesian quarter of an hour.
(c) She always wears her hair in the same style.
(d) The bald soprano?
Short Answer Questions
1. What inconsistencies exist about Mrs. Watson's appearance?
2. What train does Mrs. Martin take to London?
3. What observation does Mr. Smith make about Bobby Watson's corpse?
4. On what street does Mr. Martin live?
5. According to the Fire Chief, who is insured against fires?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)