|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mrs. Watson's profession?
(b) Voice teacher.
2. What inconsistencies exist about Mr. and Mrs. Watson's children?
(a) Their names.
(b) If they are really brother and sister.
(c) Whether any children actually exist.
(d) Their appearances.
3. Why does the Fire Chief need to leave the Smiths' house?
(a) The tea is gone.
(b) He must ring other doorbells.
(c) He is expected in the kitchen.
(d) He is expecting a fire at the other end of the city.
4. Where do the Smith's live?
(a) The city of London.
(b) The suburbs of London.
5. Why does Mr. Smith refuse to follow the advice he is given by the Fire Chief?
(a) He already kissed his wife.
(b) He does not want tea.
(c) It is raining.
(d) He cannot find the matches.
6. Before he leaves, what comment does the Fire Chief make that causes embarrassment to the other characters?
(a) The bald soprano?
(b) A truly Cartesian quarter of an hour.
(c) It ticks.
(d) She always wears her hair in the same style.
7. According to Mr. Martin, what time does the 8:30 morning train arrive in London?
(a) 12:00 p.m.
(b) 8:30 a.m.
(c) 1:00 a.m.
(d) 4:45 p.m.
8. What does Mrs. Smith recommend giving the Watsons for a wedding present?
(a) A trip to London.
(b) A wooden spoon.
(c) A silver salver.
(d) A silver spoon.
9. What would Mr. Martin rather do than steal an ox?
(a) Throw a chicken.
(b) Hose his toes.
(c) Chase a fox.
(d) Lay an egg in a box.
10. According to Mrs. Martin, what did the third wife from the story "The Headcold" do while sitting on a hornet's nest?
(a) Recite poetry.
(b) Eat chicken.
(c) Eat scones.
(d) Drink tea.
11. Which character suddenly says, "I've been goosed."?
(a) Mrs. Smith.
(b) Mrs. Martin.
(c) Mr. Martin.
(d) Mr. Smith.
12. Why does Mrs. Smith believe the Martins must have interesting stories to tell?
(a) Because they travel a great deal.
(b) Because they are entertainers.
(c) They have had an adventurous day.
(d) Because the television is broken.
13. Who is at the door when Mr. Smith opens it?
(b) The Martins.
(c) The Fire Chief.
(d) No one.
14. When traveling to London by train, in what class compartment does Mrs. Martin ride?
(a) Second class.
(c) First class.
15. What is the trade held by all the Watsons?
(a) Commerical traveler.
(c) Voice teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who might pay for the Watson children's schooling?
2. What does the Fire Chief expect to see later that evening?
3. Which part of the alphabet does Mrs Martin quote in the last scene?
4. In Mr. Smith's story, "The Snake and the Fox", what weapon does the fox possess?
5. What information does Mr. Smith find missing from the paper?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)