|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Fire Chief, who rang the doorbell the first two times?
(a) No one.
(b) He did.
(d) Mr. Smith.
2. Why is Mr. Smith angry when he meets the Martins?
(a) He was not expecting visitors.
(b) He is hungry and has been waiting for them to arrive.
(c) Mr. Martin is wearing his suit.
(d) He thinks the Martins have already eaten.
3. What is the trade held by all the Watsons?
(b) Voice teacher.
(d) Commerical traveler.
4. According to Mrs. Smith, what must one look out of in real life?
(a) The door.
(b) Rose tinted glasses.
(c) The window.
(d) Thin air.
5. Which part of the alphabet does Mrs Martin quote in the last scene?
(a) The first half.
(c) The second half.
6. How does Mr. Smith know the Fire Chief?
(a) He just put out a fire in the kitchen.
(b) He is Mrs. Smith's first husband.
(c) He is an old friend of the family.
(d) They rode the train together.
7. According to Mrs. Martin, what is honorable?
(a) All that is human.
(b) Proper behavior.
(d) English manners.
8. According to the Fire Chief, why can't he put out a fire at a naturalized citizen's house?
(a) They cannot be insured.
(b) They do not know how to make tea properly.
(c) They drive on the wrong side of the road.
(d) They don't have the right to have their fires put out.
9. According to Mr. Smith, what must one always think of?
10. Why doesn't Mr. Smith believe that Dr. Mackenzie-King is a good doctor?
(a) Mary developed the hiccups.
(b) A conscientious doctor should die with his patient.
(c) The doctor left a hole in his side.
(d) Mrs. Smith died.
11. How does Mr. Smith claim to know the Fire Chief's mother?
(a) She courted Mr. Smith.
(b) They rode the train together.
(c) She was in the kitchen when it caught fire.
(d) She was Mr. Smith's first wife.
12. What nickname does Mary give herself?
(d) Little firehose.
13. What is the Fire Chief's verbal answer to Mrs. Smith's request?
(a) He says he will sit on the divan.
(b) He agress to pour the tea.
(c) He says he will take off his helmet, but cannot sit.
(d) He denies knowing how to answer a door properly.
14. Who might pay for the Watson children's schooling?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Smith.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Holmes.
(c) Aunt and Uncle Watson.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Martin.
15. How does Mr. Martin bid the Fire Chief farewell?
(a) Good luck, and a good fire!
(b) See you in cinders!
(c) Smouldering, always smouldering.
(d) Burn well!
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Mary spend her afternoon?
2. According to Mr. Smith, why was the second Marie from the story "The Headcold" also named Marie?
3. What information does Mr. Smith find missing from the paper?
4. In the Fire Chief's story about the young calf, why did the calf give birth to a cow?
5. What observation does Mr. Smith make about Bobby Watson's corpse?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)