|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Mr. Smith believe is honest?
(a) The Royal Navy.
(b) Mrs. Smith.
(c) Dr. Mackenzie-King.
(d) No one.
2. Why does Mrs. Martin want the Fire Chief to retell the story of "The Headcold"?
(a) She could not follow the story.
(b) She wanted to write it down.
(c) She loved the story.
(d) She wants Mary to hear the story.
3. Before he leaves, what comment does the Fire Chief make that causes embarrassment to the other characters?
(a) The bald soprano?
(b) She always wears her hair in the same style.
(c) It ticks.
(d) A truly Cartesian quarter of an hour.
4. Why did the Fire Chief stand outside by the door for a long time before ringing the bell?
(a) He was humming.
(b) He was talking to Mary.
(c) He was thinking.
(d) He was looking for a fire.
5. In Mary's poem, what was burning?
6. Why is Mr. Smith angry when he meets the Martins?
(a) Mr. Martin is wearing his suit.
(b) He thinks the Martins have already eaten.
(c) He was not expecting visitors.
(d) He is hungry and has been waiting for them to arrive.
7. Whom does Mr. Smith claim has not been properly brought up?
(b) Mr. Martin.
(c) The Fire Chief.
(d) Mrs. Smith.
8. Who is at the door when Mrs. Smith opens it?
(a) The Martins.
(b) No one.
(c) The Fire Chief.
9. When did Bobby Watson die?
(a) He is scheduled to die next Tuesday.
(b) Two years before the time in which the play is set.
(c) The day before yesterday.
(d) Two months before the time in which the play is set.
10. Why didn't Mr. Martin see himself in the mirror that morning?
(a) He was too busy.
(b) He was downstairs finishing his tea.
(c) He wasn't there yet.
(d) He did not have his reading glasses.
11. What is the Fire Chief's verbal answer to Mrs. Smith's request?
(a) He says he will sit on the divan.
(b) He says he will take off his helmet, but cannot sit.
(c) He denies knowing how to answer a door properly.
(d) He agress to pour the tea.
12. Who is Mrs. Smith waiting for to see her at her windmill?
(a) Mr. Smith.
(b) The cat.
(c) The aquaduct.
(d) The turkeys.
13. What is the trade held by all the Watsons?
(c) Voice teacher.
(d) Commerical traveler.
14. According to Mr. Martin, where does charity begin?
(a) Over the hedge.
(b) In the bedroom.
(c) At home.
(d) At church.
15. What appears unusual about Mr. and Mrs. Martin's relationship during their first scene?
(a) They complete each other's sentences.
(b) They speak only to the Smiths, and not to each other.
(c) They do not recognize each other.
(d) They refuse to look at each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. What food does the Smith's daughter prefer?
2. According to Mr. Smith, what are the names of the Watson children?
3. What would Mr. Martin rather do than steal an ox?
4. According to the Fire Chief, who rang the doorbell the third time?
5. In the story, "The Headcold", what was blonde Marie's profession?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)