|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mrs. Smith, what other position does a Fire Chief hold?
(a) A confessor.
(b) A conductor.
(d) Police Chief.
2. Which part of the alphabet does Mrs Martin quote in the last scene?
(a) The first half.
(c) The second half.
3. What nickname does Mary give herself?
(c) Little firehose.
4. What is Mr. Martin's first name?
5. What is unusual about the lighting at the end of the last scene?
(a) The lights flicker on and off.
(b) The lighting turns red while Mr. Smith is speaking.
(c) The lighting turns blue while Mrs. Smith is speaking.
(d) The stage is black while the characters are speaking.
6. What comment does Mr. Martin make about Mary's poem?
(a) There was a certain warmth in the lines.
(b) It was marvelous.
(c) It was timid, dull, and exciting.
(d) It sent chills up his spine.
7. How does Mr. Martin bid the Fire Chief farewell?
(a) See you in cinders!
(b) Smouldering, always smouldering.
(c) Burn well!
(d) Good luck, and a good fire!
8. In Mary's poem, what was burning?
9. According to Mr. Martin, where does charity begin?
(a) At home.
(b) In the bedroom.
(c) Over the hedge.
(d) At church.
10. According to Mrs. Martin, what do cacao trees produce?
11. Who is Mary?
(a) The Smith's cook and maid.
(b) The Smith's daughter.
(c) The Martin's cook and maid.
(d) The next door neighbor.
12. Why can't Mrs. Smith read the clock?
(a) It is contradictory, and indicates the opposite of the hour.
(b) She must pour the tea.
(c) It is running backwards.
(d) She does not have her reading glasses.
13. Who briefly begins the play again after the last scene?
(a) The Fire Chief and Mary.
(b) Mr. Martin and Mrs. Smith.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Smith.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Martin.
14. Who is Mrs. Smith waiting for to see her at her windmill?
(a) Mr. Smith.
(b) The turkeys.
(c) The cat.
(d) The aquaduct.
15. What does Mrs. Smith ask the Fire Chief to do?
(a) Stand behind the divan.
(b) Pour the tea.
(c) Take off his helmet and sit down.
(d) Answer the door.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Bobby Watson die?
2. What city do the Martin's have in common?
3. What poem does Mary recite?
4. What does the Fire Chief expect to see later that evening?
5. Why does the Fire Chief refuse to visit Mr. Durand?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)