|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Mary embrace after the stories have been told?
(a) Mr. Smith.
(b) Bobby Watson.
(c) The Fire Chief.
(d) Mrs. Smith.
2. According to Mr. Smith, what must one always think of?
3. According to Mr. Smith, what will happen if one caresses a circle?
(a) It will turn vicious.
(b) One might face a vicious lawsuit in the morning.
(c) It will melt.
4. What does Bobby Watson do on Tuesdays?
(a) Eats and drinks.
(b) Sits and thinks.
(c) Runs and jumps.
(d) Rests and sleeps.
5. Before he leaves, what comment does the Fire Chief make that causes embarrassment to the other characters?
(a) The bald soprano?
(b) A truly Cartesian quarter of an hour.
(c) She always wears her hair in the same style.
(d) It ticks.
6. According to Mrs. Smith, why does she need to learn Spanish?
(a) To talk to Mr. Smith.
(b) To chat with Mary.
(c) To make herself understood.
(d) To read the newspaper.
7. How does the Fire Chief act in response to Mrs. Smith's request?
(a) He sits down without removing his helmet.
(b) He stands in front of the divan.
(c) He answers the door.
(d) He eats the scones, but does not pour the tea.
8. What inconsistencies exist about Mrs. Watson's appearance?
(a) The color of her eyes.
(b) Her size and height.
(c) Her race.
(d) Her hair color.
9. What information does Mr. Smith find missing from the paper?
(a) The time of the accident.
(b) The time.
(c) The age of the newborn babies.
(d) The actions of the deceased.
10. In the story, "The Headcold", what was blonde Marie's profession?
(a) A typist.
(b) A monophysite priest.
(c) A grocer.
(d) A schoolteacher.
11. Why does Mary recite a poem?
(a) To honor the Fire Chief.
(b) To honor the Smiths.
(c) To honor the Martins.
(d) To annoy the cast.
12. According to the Fire Chief, why can't he put out a fire at a naturalized citizen's house?
(a) They cannot be insured.
(b) They don't have the right to have their fires put out.
(c) They do not know how to make tea properly.
(d) They drive on the wrong side of the road.
13. According to Mrs. Smith, what is the reason for a ringing doorbell?
(a) Someone is at the door waiting to be admitted.
(b) The fire is out.
(c) No one is at the door.
(d) The tea is ready.
14. Where do the Smith's live?
(b) The suburbs of London.
(d) The city of London.
15. What did Mary buy for herself?
(a) A bottle of rum.
(b) A chamber pot.
(c) A robin.
(d) A scarf.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Fire Chief's story, "The Cock", which animal did the cock wish to play?
2. According to the Fire Chief, who puts out the Vicar's fires?
3. How many helpings of fish did Mrs. Smith have at dinner?
4. In the Fire Chief's story, "The Headcold", what is the main subject of the story?
5. Why does the Fire Chief refuse to visit Mr. Durand?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)