|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mr. Martin, if a person sells an ox today, what will he have tomorrow?
(a) A chicken.
(b) An egg.
(c) Sore toes.
2. Who might pay for the Watson children's schooling?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Smith.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Martin.
(c) Aunt and Uncle Watson.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Holmes.
3. What does the Fire Chief expect to see later that evening?
(a) A straw fire and a little heartburn.
(b) A beautiful sunset.
(c) A movie.
(d) A roaring blaze at his flat.
4. When traveling to London by train, in what class compartment does Mrs. Martin ride?
(b) Second class.
(d) First class.
5. According to Mr. Martin, what other job might a maid like Mary be able to perform?
6. What sound do the Smiths argue about?
(a) The sound of Mary's shoes.
(b) The meaning of the gong.
(c) The meaning of a ringing doorbell.
(d) The caller on the telephone.
7. Whom does Mrs. Smith believe is dishonest?
(a) Dr. Mackenzie-King.
(c) Mr. Smith.
(d) The Royal Navy.
8. Why does Mrs. Smith scold Mary?
(a) For sleeping on the divan.
(b) For going out that afternoon.
(c) For being arrested.
(d) For missing dinner.
9. Why did the Fire Chief stand outside by the door for a long time before ringing the bell?
(a) He was thinking.
(b) He was looking for a fire.
(c) He was humming.
(d) He was talking to Mary.
10. What information does Mr. Smith find missing from the paper?
(a) The actions of the deceased.
(b) The age of the newborn babies.
(c) The time.
(d) The time of the accident.
11. What silly name do Mrs. Smith and Mr. Martin create out of Robert Browning and Rudyard Kipling's names?
(a) Robyard Brownling.
(b) Robert Kipling.
(c) Rubert Kiping.
(d) Rudyard Browning.
12. What is unusual about Mrs. Smith's statement about having changed her dress?
(a) Her dress is on backwards.
(b) She is wearing a bathrobe.
(c) She is wearing Mr. Smith's suit.
(d) She is still wearing the same clothes as before.
13. What conclusion do Mr. and Mrs. Martin reach at the end of their discussion?
(a) They do not know each other.
(b) They are married.
(c) They are siblings.
(d) They are cousins.
14. Who is at the door when Mr. Smith opens it?
(b) No one.
(c) The Fire Chief.
(d) The Martins.
15. According to Mr. Martin, what should a person do if he catches a cold?
(a) Drink tea.
(b) Get a colt.
(c) Run in circles.
(d) Stand on his head.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Smith recommend giving the Watsons for a wedding present?
2. In Mrs. Smith's story, "The Bouquet", why does the fiancé take back the bouquet of flowers?
3. What would Mr. Martin rather do than steal an ox?
4. Why is the Fire Chief disappointed?
5. Which line causes an abrupt break in the action?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)