|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Fire Chief need to leave the Smiths' house?
(a) The tea is gone.
(b) He must ring other doorbells.
(c) He is expected in the kitchen.
(d) He is expecting a fire at the other end of the city.
2. According to the Fire Chief, who puts out the Vicar's fires?
(a) The vicar can not have any fires.
(b) Vestal virgins.
(d) The Almighty.
3. What question does the Fire Chief ask the Smiths?
(a) Is there a fire here?
(b) Where is the tea?
(c) Have you a light?
(d) Where is the door?
4. Why is Mr. Smith angry when he meets the Martins?
(a) He is hungry and has been waiting for them to arrive.
(b) Mr. Martin is wearing his suit.
(c) He thinks the Martins have already eaten.
(d) He was not expecting visitors.
5. What comment does Mr. Martin make about Mary's poem?
(a) It was marvelous.
(b) It was timid, dull, and exciting.
(c) There was a certain warmth in the lines.
(d) It sent chills up his spine.
6. What product does Mrs. Smith compare from different grocers?
(b) Salad oil.
7. Whom does Mr. Smith wish would marry his maid?
(a) A monophysite priest.
(b) The Fire Chief.
(c) William, the shop-assistant.
(d) Mr. Martin.
8. What are the Smiths doing while Mary recites her poem?
(b) Drinking tea.
(d) Pushing her offstage.
9. Why did the Fire Chief stand outside by the door for a long time before ringing the bell?
(a) He was looking for a fire.
(b) He was humming.
(c) He was talking to Mary.
(d) He was thinking.
10. What rare item does the grocer Popesco Rosenfeld sell?
11. What is Mrs. Watson's profession?
(d) Voice teacher.
12. According to Mrs. Smith, what is the reason for a ringing doorbell?
(a) Someone is at the door waiting to be admitted.
(b) No one is at the door.
(c) The fire is out.
(d) The tea is ready.
13. Who is Mary?
(a) The Smith's cook and maid.
(b) The Martin's cook and maid.
(c) The Smith's daughter.
(d) The next door neighbor.
14. How does Mrs. Smith respond to the Fire Chief's embarrassing comment?
(a) She always wears her hair in the same style.
(b) The bald soprano?
(c) It ticks.
(d) A truly Cartesian quarter of an hour.
15. What observation does Mr. Smith make about the human heart?
(a) It is easily fooled.
(b) It is ageless.
(c) It does not really exist.
(d) It is easily broken.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mrs. Smith, what must one look out of in real life?
2. In the Fire Chief's story, "The Dog and the Cow", why didn't the dog swallow his trunk?
3. Whom does Mrs. Smith believe is dishonest?
4. According to the Fire Chief, who is insured against fires?
5. According to Mr. Martin, what should a person do if he catches a cold?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)