|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mary?
(a) The Smith's daughter.
(b) The Smith's cook and maid.
(c) The next door neighbor.
(d) The Martin's cook and maid.
2. What does the Fire Chief expect to see later that evening?
(a) A straw fire and a little heartburn.
(b) A beautiful sunset.
(c) A movie.
(d) A roaring blaze at his flat.
3. Why does Mrs. Smith scold Mary?
(a) For going out that afternoon.
(b) For missing dinner.
(c) For sleeping on the divan.
(d) For being arrested.
4. In Mrs. Smith's story, "The Bouquet", why does the fiancé take back the bouquet of flowers?
(a) To teach his fiancée a lesson.
(b) To paint them yellow.
(c) To get a refund.
(d) To give them to his mother.
5. In the Fire Chief's story, "The Dog and the Cow", why didn't the dog swallow his trunk?
(a) The trunk was too big.
(b) Because he thought he was an elephant.
(c) Because it was too heavy.
(d) He didn't have any tea.
6. What nickname does Mary give herself?
(b) Little firehose.
7. According to Mrs. Martin, what is honorable?
(a) All that is human.
(b) Proper behavior.
(d) English manners.
8. What is Mrs. Martin's first name?
9. What poem does Mary recite?
(a) The Blaze.
(c) The Fire.
(d) Poor Poetry.
10. What food does the Smith's daughter prefer?
(a) Eggs and ham.
(b) Bacon and eggs.
(c) Tea and scones.
(d) Milk and porridge.
11. What did Mrs. Martin see a man doing on the Underground?
(a) Running up and down the tracks.
(b) Tying his shoelace.
(d) Reading a newspaper.
12. What advice does the Fire Chief give the Smiths after the doorbell discussion has ended?
(a) Leave the house.
(b) Light another fire.
(c) Pour the tea.
(d) Kiss each other.
13. With what unamazing story does Mrs. Martin amaze the Smiths?
(a) Her grandmother has caught a cold.
(b) She saw a dog barking at a mailman.
(c) She saw a man kneeling to tie his shoelace.
(d) The train stopped three times before arriving at the station.
14. According to the Fire Chief, what is the reason for a ringing doorbell?
(a) The tea is ready but the scones are not always done.
(b) Sometimes, someone is there and sometimes, no one is there.
(c) To play a merry tune.
(d) To tell the homeowner the fire is out.
15. Why does the Fire Chief need to leave the Smiths' house?
(a) He is expected in the kitchen.
(b) He is expecting a fire at the other end of the city.
(c) The tea is gone.
(d) He must ring other doorbells.
Short Answer Questions
1. When traveling to London by train, in which coach does Mrs. Martin sit?
2. What information does Mr. Smith find missing from the paper?
3. Why didn't Mr. Martin see himself in the mirror that morning?
4. Why is it difficult to identify the members of the Watson clan?
5. In the last scene, where does Mr. Smith wish to live?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)