|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long was the Fire Chief standing outside the house by the door?
(a) A day.
(b) Only a moment.
(c) 45 minutes.
(d) 5 minutes.
2. According to Mrs. Martin, what did the third wife from the story "The Headcold" do while sitting on a hornet's nest?
(a) Drink tea.
(b) Recite poetry.
(c) Eat scones.
(d) Eat chicken.
3. In Mr. Smith's story, "The Snake and the Fox", what new feature does the snake obviously possess?
4. What is the mood of the characters in the last scene?
5. According to the Fire Chief, why can't he put out a fire at a naturalized citizen's house?
(a) They drive on the wrong side of the road.
(b) They don't have the right to have their fires put out.
(c) They do not know how to make tea properly.
(d) They cannot be insured.
6. According to Mrs. Smith, what is the reason for a ringing doorbell?
(a) The fire is out.
(b) The tea is ready.
(c) Someone is at the door waiting to be admitted.
(d) No one is at the door.
7. In the last scene of the play, who would Mr. Martin like to slap?
(b) Mrs. Martin.
(c) Mrs. Smith.
(d) Mr. Smith.
8. In the Fire Chief's story, "The Headcold", what is the main subject of the story?
(a) The work of a famous doctor.
(c) The cure for the common cold.
(d) A listing of genealogies.
9. According to Mrs. Smith, what other position does a Fire Chief hold?
(a) A confessor.
(c) A conductor.
(d) Police Chief.
10. Which character does Mrs. Smith advise to read poetry before a mirror?
(a) Mr. Martin.
(b) Mrs. Martin.
(c) Mr. Smith.
11. Why is it difficult to identify the members of the Watson clan?
(a) They all look alike.
(b) They are all named Bobby.
(c) They keep changing names.
(d) They refuse to be identified as Watsons.
12. How does Mrs. Smith offer to help the Fire Chief?
(a) She is willing to give him a kiss.
(b) She offers to go search for a fire.
(c) She points out the door.
(d) She offers to pour the tea.
13. What line do all the characters on stage chant at the end of the last scene?
(a) It's not that way, it's over here!
(b) Again I say, again!
(c) Go west, young man!
(d) It's here!
14. When do the Watsons not have business competition?
(a) Tuesday, Wednesdays, and Sundays.
(b) Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Tuesdays.
(c) Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.
(d) Tuesdays, Mondays, and Saturdays.
15. Whom does Mrs. Smith believe is dishonest?
(a) The Royal Navy.
(b) Mr. Smith.
(c) Dr. Mackenzie-King.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story, "The Headcold", who caught the cold?
2. What excuse does Mrs. Smith give for Mr. Smith's ill temper?
3. What would Mr. Martin rather do than steal an ox?
4. What is unusual about Mrs. Smith's statement about having changed her dress?
5. When traveling to London by train, in which coach does Mr. Martin sit?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)