|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story, "The Headcold", what was blonde Marie's profession?
(a) A typist.
(b) A monophysite priest.
(c) A grocer.
(d) A schoolteacher.
2. How does Mr. Smith calm the agitated Mrs. Smith before the Martins arrive?
(a) He kisses her.
(b) He slaps her.
(c) He shakes her.
(d) He recites poetry.
3. According to Mr. Martin, if a person sells an ox today, what will he have tomorrow?
(a) Sore toes.
(c) A chicken.
(d) An egg.
4. Whom does Mr. Smith wish would marry his maid?
(a) Mr. Martin.
(b) The Fire Chief.
(c) A monophysite priest.
(d) William, the shop-assistant.
5. When traveling to London by train, in which coach does Mr. Martin sit?
(a) Coach No. 8.
(b) The Engine.
(c) Coach No. 1.
(d) Coach No. 2.
6. What does Mrs. Martin offer to trade for a coffin?
(a) A silver salver.
(b) Mr. Martin.
(c) Her mother-in-law's slippers.
(d) A gold ring.
7. What complaint does Mr. Smith have about women?
(a) They snore and sing in their sleep.
(b) They spend all day playing golf and reading romance novels.
(c) They eat too much and drink too little.
(d) They spend all day smoking, powdering their noses and drinking.
8. What silly name do Mrs. Smith and Mr. Martin create out of Robert Browning and Rudyard Kipling's names?
(a) Rubert Kiping.
(b) Rudyard Browning.
(c) Robyard Brownling.
(d) Robert Kipling.
9. What is the mood of the characters in the last scene?
10. Why did Mrs. Smith find no one at the door the third time the doorbell rang?
(a) The Fire Chief was already in the kitchen.
(b) Mr. Smith was in the kitchen.
(c) Mr. Smith was hiding.
(d) The Fire Chief was hiding.
11. According to Mr. Martin, what time does the 8:30 morning train arrive in London?
(a) 8:30 a.m.
(b) 12:00 p.m.
(c) 4:45 p.m.
(d) 1:00 a.m.
12. Which line causes an abrupt break in the action?
(a) Nevertheless, it was the cow that gave us tails.
(b) To hell with polishing!
(c) You are not old enough yet for that.
(d) When I say yes, it's only a manner of speaking.
13. What constantly interrupts Mrs. Martin's storytelling?
(a) A ringing telephone.
(b) A ringing doorbell.
(c) A gong.
(d) Mary's movement in and out of the room.
14. Why did the Fire Chief stand outside by the door for a long time before ringing the bell?
(a) He was talking to Mary.
(b) He was thinking.
(c) He was looking for a fire.
(d) He was humming.
15. Which mildly offensive word does Mrs. Smith begin to chant after Mr. Smith begins his bird name chant?
(a) Darn it.
(b) Doo doo.
(d) Poo Poo.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the Smith's live?
2. When boarding the train to London, how did Mr. Martin assist Mrs. Martin?
3. What nickname does Mary give herself?
4. Why does Mrs. Martin want the Fire Chief to retell the story of "The Headcold"?
5. Why does Mr. Smith refuse to follow the advice he is given by the Fire Chief?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)