|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the Smiths doing while Mary recites her poem?
(a) Drinking tea.
(b) Pushing her offstage.
2. What is unusual about Mrs. Smith's statement about having changed her dress?
(a) She is still wearing the same clothes as before.
(b) She is wearing a bathrobe.
(c) She is wearing Mr. Smith's suit.
(d) Her dress is on backwards.
3. According to the Fire Chief, who is insured against fires?
(a) The fire department.
(b) The match dealer.
(c) The Vicar of Wakefield
(d) The mayor.
4. In Mrs. Smith's story, "The Bouquet", why does the fiancé take back the bouquet of flowers?
(a) To get a refund.
(b) To paint them yellow.
(c) To teach his fiancée a lesson.
(d) To give them to his mother.
5. Which character admits to reading poetry before a mirror?
(b) Mrs. Martin.
(c) Mr. Smith.
(d) Mr. Martin.
6. What comment does Mrs. Smith make about the Fire Chief's story, "The Headcold"?
(c) Almost unbelievable.
(d) It must be true because colds are terribly common.
7. What complaint does Mrs. Smith have about men?
(a) They spend all day playing golf and reading romance novels.
(b) They snore and sing in their sleep.
(c) They eat too little and drink too much.
(d) They spend all day smoking, powdering their noses, and drinking.
8. With what unamazing story does Mrs. Martin amaze the Smiths?
(a) She saw a dog barking at a mailman.
(b) Her grandmother has caught a cold.
(c) She saw a man kneeling to tie his shoelace.
(d) The train stopped three times before arriving at the station.
9. What train does Mrs. Martin take to London?
(a) The 9:30 train.
(b) The same train as Mrs. Smith.
(c) She takes a cab.
(d) The same train as Mr. Martin.
10. According to Mr. Martin, where does charity begin?
(a) In the bedroom.
(b) At church.
(c) Over the hedge.
(d) At home.
11. What is the trade held by all the Watsons?
(b) Voice teacher.
(c) Commerical traveler.
12. According to Mrs. Smith, why does she need to learn Spanish?
(a) To chat with Mary.
(b) To talk to Mr. Smith.
(c) To make herself understood.
(d) To read the newspaper.
13. What time is it when the clock strikes 17 times at the beginning of the play?
(a) Seventeen o'clock.
(b) Twelve o'clock.
(c) Seven o'clock.
(d) Nine o'clock.
14. According to Mr. Martin, who is Edward?
(a) A clerk.
(b) A shop-assistant.
(c) A typist.
(d) A monophysite priest.
15. Which part of the alphabet does Mr. Smith quote in the last scene?
(b) The second half.
(c) The first half.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Mrs. Smith bring the bottle of Australian Burgundy to the table?
2. Why does the Fire Chief need to leave the Smiths' house?
3. What explanation does Mary give for leaving the house?
4. Why doesn't Mr. Smith believe that Dr. Mackenzie-King is a good doctor?
5. In the story, "The Headcold", who caught the cold?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)