|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What excuse do the Martins give for their tardiness?
(a) Mary wouldn't answer the door.
(b) They got lost.
(c) The train was late.
2. According to Mr. Martin, what should a person do if he catches a cold?
(a) Drink tea.
(b) Stand on his head.
(c) Get a colt.
(d) Run in circles.
3. Why didn't Mrs. Smith bring the bottle of Australian Burgundy to the table?
(a) It clashed with the tablecloth.
(b) Mr. Smith wanted rum instead.
(c) The bottle was empty.
(d) She wanted to set a good example for the children.
4. What question does the Fire Chief ask the Smiths?
(a) Is there a fire here?
(b) Where is the tea?
(c) Where is the door?
(d) Have you a light?
5. What line do all the characters on stage chant at the end of the last scene?
(a) Again I say, again!
(b) It's here!
(c) Go west, young man!
(d) It's not that way, it's over here!
6. According to Mr. Martin, who is Nancy?
(a) A shop-assistant.
(b) A clerk.
(c) A typist.
(d) A monophysite priest.
7. According to Mr. Martin, what other job might a maid like Mary be able to perform?
8. How does Mr. Martin bid the Fire Chief farewell?
(a) Burn well!
(b) Good luck, and a good fire!
(c) Smouldering, always smouldering.
(d) See you in cinders!
9. Whom does Mr. Smith believe is honest?
(a) No one.
(b) The Royal Navy.
(c) Mrs. Smith.
(d) Dr. Mackenzie-King.
10. Where do the Smith's live?
(a) The suburbs of London.
(d) The city of London.
11. Why does Mrs. Smith scold Mary?
(a) For being arrested.
(b) For going out that afternoon.
(c) For missing dinner.
(d) For sleeping on the divan.
12. According to Mr. Martin, if a person sells an ox today, what will he have tomorrow?
(a) An egg.
(b) A chicken.
(c) Sore toes.
13. Who briefly begins the play again after the last scene?
(a) Mr. Martin and Mrs. Smith.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Smith.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Martin.
(d) The Fire Chief and Mary.
14. According to Mrs. Martin, what do cacao trees produce?
15. What advice does the Fire Chief give the Smiths after the doorbell discussion has ended?
(a) Pour the tea.
(b) Leave the house.
(c) Kiss each other.
(d) Light another fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Martin want the Fire Chief to retell the story of "The Headcold"?
2. How did Mary spend her afternoon?
3. What inconsistencies exist about Bobby Watson's demise?
4. In Mr. Smith's story, "The Snake and the Fox", what weapon does the fox possess?
5. What time is it when the clock strikes 17 times at the beginning of the play?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)