|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mr. Smith, what are the names of the Watson children?
(a) Mary and Bobby.
(b) Bobby and Bobby.
(c) John and Sherlock.
(d) Mary and Mary.
2. What is Mrs. Watson's profession?
(a) Voice teacher.
3. Why is it difficult to identify the members of the Watson clan?
(a) They are all named Bobby.
(b) They refuse to be identified as Watsons.
(c) They keep changing names.
(d) They all look alike.
4. Why does the Fire Chief need to leave the Smiths' house?
(a) He is expected in the kitchen.
(b) The tea is gone.
(c) He must ring other doorbells.
(d) He is expecting a fire at the other end of the city.
5. Why doesn't Mr. Smith believe that Dr. Mackenzie-King is a good doctor?
(a) The doctor left a hole in his side.
(b) A conscientious doctor should die with his patient.
(c) Mrs. Smith died.
(d) Mary developed the hiccups.
6. Who is Mary?
(a) The next door neighbor.
(b) The Martin's cook and maid.
(c) The Smith's cook and maid.
(d) The Smith's daughter.
7. What is Mrs. Martin's first name?
8. According to Mr. Smith, if a schoolmaster teaches his pupils to read, what does a cat do for its young?
(a) Suckle them when they are small.
(b) Teach them to hunt.
(c) Sends them away.
9. When did Bobby Watson die?
(a) The day before yesterday.
(b) Two years before the time in which the play is set.
(c) He is scheduled to die next Tuesday.
(d) Two months before the time in which the play is set.
10. How does the Fire Chief act in response to Mrs. Smith's request?
(a) He eats the scones, but does not pour the tea.
(b) He sits down without removing his helmet.
(c) He stands in front of the divan.
(d) He answers the door.
11. Why does the Fire Chief refuse to visit Mr. Durand?
(a) His doorbell is broken.
(b) He does not have any tea.
(c) He is not English.
(d) He is uninsured.
12. What product does Mrs. Smith compare from different grocers?
(b) Salad oil.
13. In Mrs. Smith's story, "The Bouquet", why does the fiancé take back the bouquet of flowers?
(a) To give them to his mother.
(b) To paint them yellow.
(c) To get a refund.
(d) To teach his fiancée a lesson.
14. According to Mr. Martin, what should a person do if he catches a cold?
(a) Drink tea.
(b) Run in circles.
(c) Get a colt.
(d) Stand on his head.
15. According to the Fire Chief, why can't he put out a fire at a naturalized citizen's house?
(a) They do not know how to make tea properly.
(b) They don't have the right to have their fires put out.
(c) They drive on the wrong side of the road.
(d) They cannot be insured.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Fire Chief's story, "The Headcold", what is the main subject of the story?
2. Whom does Mr. Martin claim is going crazy?
3. Which line causes an abrupt break in the action?
4. What explanation does Mary give for leaving the house?
5. What conclusion do Mr. and Mrs. Martin reach at the end of their discussion?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)