Chapters 1 and 2
• Novelist Mike Noonan's wife, Johanna, suffers an aneurysm and dies on a street in Derry, Maine, in the Summer of 1994.
• An autopsy shows that Johanna was pregnant, startling news for her husband.
• Mike is overwhelmed with grief and barely finishes the novel on which he was working.
• Mike suffers severe writers block and cannot begin his next book.
• Mike has manuscripts for four novels in a safe deposit box and releases one a year for the next four years.
Chapters 3 and 4
• In October of 1997, Mike's agent calls him to tell him that he needs to complete and release his next novel by the Summer of 1998 to get ahead of the competition for the New York Times Bestseller list.
• Mike does not tell his agent that he is drawing from his stash of manuscripts held in a safe deposit box.
• Mike begins to have nightmares set at...
This section contains 3,686 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)