|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was it a good thing Elsie's previous job retired her?
2. What was Kate yearning for?
3. What was different about the compliments she received from David?
4. What had fallen through Kate's roof?
5. What bridge did Kate and Dave drive on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What missed opportunities is Dave talking about on page 81?
2. What about the hole made Kate fearful?
3. Why is David so bent out of shape about breakfast?
4. What was it about the way Kate said what she did that made David's throat close?
5. How did Kate feel about Elsie?
6. What kinds of images were evoked with the thought of removing Kate's dress?
7. What did the "birthday cake" house look like?
8. Why did Emily Pearson and Mrs. Butler drive Kate crazy?
9. How did David justify that Kate wasn't exactly a domestic type?
10. Why did Elsie have to lie about her age?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Elsie and the Old Cadillac belonging to Gus are perfect symbols. What do they symbolize and why? Look for contrasting symbols and try to explain what you think the author could have meant by using these symbols.
Essay Topic 2
Janet Evanovich juxtaposes many different characters along side each other in her novels. What do you think is the purpose of such juxtaposition? How well do you think Kate and Dave are suited to each other? Grace and Michael? Elsie and Gus? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Speculate on the point of reading romance novels. What does it provide, if anything, to the reader? Do you think they are important to society? Why or why not? What is realistic about them? What is more fantasy than realism? Explain why you feel this way.
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)