|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was it too soon for?
2. What comment does Elsie make on Kate's nightgown?
3. Why wouldn't someone assume that Kate does drugs?
4. What does pureed beef look like?
5. What kind of food did David order?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it kind of weird that there was someone on Kate's roof?
2. What is the price for David's assistance?
3. What was David's house like?
4. How did Kate view the collapse of her marriage?
5. How was David's touch satisfying?
6. What kinds of images were evoked with the thought of removing Kate's dress?
7. What about the hole made Kate fearful?
8. What decision does Kate make while sitting at David's and why?
9. Why didn't Elsie like the senior citizens home?
10. Why did Elsie have to lie about her age?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Elsie and the Old Cadillac belonging to Gus are perfect symbols. What do they symbolize and why? Look for contrasting symbols and try to explain what you think the author could have meant by using these symbols.
Essay Topic 2
Speculate on the point of reading romance novels. What does it provide, if anything, to the reader? Do you think they are important to society? Why or why not? What is realistic about them? What is more fantasy than realism? Explain why you feel this way.
Essay Topic 3
In terms of literature, what kind of character is Kate? What about Dave? Could both be considered the same kind of character? Why or why not? Is Kate the only kind of character like this in the novel? If so, why do you think that is? If not, who else can be considered to possess the same character description?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)