|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did her feather quilt cost her?
2. What smell permeated David's home?
3. What time is Kate's concert?
4. What kinds of images did the idea of removing her dress evoke?
5. Why did Kate come back to Dave's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What elements were necessary for love at first sight, according to Kate?
2. Describe Kate's personality.
3. What was the difference between Dave and Anatole in the morning?
4. How does Kate keep busy?
5. Explain why Elsie could think David is a spy.
6. What kinds of images were evoked with the thought of removing Kate's dress?
7. What was it about the way Kate said what she did that made David's throat close?
8. Why did Emily Pearson and Mrs. Butler drive Kate crazy?
9. Why was it kind of weird that there was someone on Kate's roof?
10. What did the "birthday cake" house look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the interaction with Kate's parents help Dave to better understand her? In what ways would it be possible to feel sorry for a child living in such a household? How could this kind of parenting be responsible for productive and driven adults, but also depriving children of their only chance to be children?
Essay Topic 2
The author makes many allusions to popular comic book and cartoon characters. What does this say about the author's personality? Which character do you think the author would most identify with? Provide at least three reasons why you think this is the case.
Essay Topic 3
Speculate on the point of the house across the street blowing up. What kind of affect do you think this has on the plot line? Do you think this affect could have been achieved in another manner? Explain how or why not.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)