|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leonce believe is a way to become rich?
(a) To keep children in public not private schools
(b) To speculate in real estate
(c) To make money, not save it
(d) To con people into buying investments they do not need
2. Edna thinks her husband's bad humor is because of:
(a) His bad finances
(b) The hot weather
(c) His work
3. As Edna walks around town, who occupies her thoughts?
4. Describe Mr. Ratignolle:
(a) Quiet, stoic
(b) Overly talkative
(c) Dark, somber, not given to saying much to anyone
(d) Salt of the earth, cheerful, good hearted with common sense
5. What starts to change in Edna this summer at Grande Isle?
(a) The idea of living here year-round is gaining its appeal.
(b) The mantel of reservation that had always enveloped her is loosening.
(c) The mantel of openness that had always enveloped her is tightening.
(d) She longs to have another child.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Robert smoke cigarettes?
2. Why is Mr. Pontellier reading a day-old newspaper?
3. Does Mrs. Pontellier feel comfortable in the company of Creoles?
4. What do the Farival twins perform at the Grand Isle celebration?
5. How does Robert respond to Adele's request?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Edna taking a big risk by going to the Lebrun house to find Mademoiselle Reisz's address?
2. How does Chopin use foreshadowing in this chapter to warn of events to come?
3. Why does Edna cry so hard after her husband scolds her for being what he considers a neglectful mother?
4. The author says that Edna's will had blazed up. However, Leonce has a strong will, too. What is going on in this chapter? How is the Pontellier marriage changing?
5. What is it about the ocean that emboldens Edna?
6. Why does Adele urge Robert not to pursue Edna?
7. Why doe Edna feel so comfortable in Madame Antoine's house right away?
8. What is the first thing that Edna wonders after she wakes up at Madame Antoine's?
9. What do we learn is different about Mrs. Pontellier from the other wives who summer at the Grande Isle?
10. Why do you think Mr. Pontellier is so enraged at his wife when he thinks Raoul has a fever?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)