|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Edna feel upon leaving the Ratignolles?
(a) Depressed rather than soothed
(b) Profoundly changed
(c) Eager to go back
(d) Soothed and sleepy
2. Where does Edna go with her sketches?
(a) The local artist's market
(b) Madame Lebrun's house
(c) A flea market
(d) Madame Ratignolle's house
3. Describe Madame Antoine:
(a) Short, stout, angry and scary like a guard dog
(b) Short, with a rather unforgettable face
(c) Fat, walks heavily and clumsily, speaks no English but is warm and friendly
(d) Thin, walks elegantly and speaks beautiful English
4. Does Mademoiselle Reisz's performance affect anyone else?
(a) It excites the adults only.
(b) Only those who know music
(c) It excites the children only.
(d) It arouses everyone.
5. And what does Leonce do when Edna asks him to come to bed?
(a) He comes immediately.
(b) He stays behind to finish smoking his cigar.
(c) He stays behind to have another round of wine.
(d) He ignores her and reads the newspaper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Mr. Pontellier is asleep, Mrs. Pontellier leaves the room and:
2. On what street do the Pontelliers live?
3. What does Edna see when Mademoiselle Reisz plays?
4. How soon will Robert depart?
5. What does Robert say in response to Edna's comment that they have spent the entire day together?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doe Edna feel so comfortable in Madame Antoine's house right away?
2. Why does Edna leave the Ratignolles in a depressed rather than a happy state of mind?
3. What is the purpose of Mariequita in this part of the story?
4. Is Leonce at all upset that his wife has been away with another man?
5. In Chapter 11, Edna defies her husband. Is she victorious?
6. What is the first impression the author gives of Mr. Pontellier?
7. Do you think Mr. Pontellier is too angry and too demanding when he gets angry at his wife for breaking their Tuesday routine?
8. Why does Edna throw such a violent fit after Leonce takes off to have dinner at the club?
9. Describe Mrs. Pontellier's reaction to hearing Mademoiselle Reisz's performance.
10. What do you think compelled Edna to jump into the ocean for a swim?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)