|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Pontellier send home to his wife while he is away?
(a) A basket filled with eggs
(b) A basket filled with exquisite candies and fancy foods
(c) A basket filled with instructions on how she should behave
(d) A basket filled with wine bottles
2. What has Robert done pretty much every summer at Grande Isle?
(a) He would devote himself to one married woman.
(b) He has built a house.
(c) He has written a novel.
(d) Gone fishing
3. How does Mr. Pontellier view his home?
(a) With great modesty
(b) With great pride
(c) He wishes it were smaller.
(d) He is not one to be interested in a house.
4. Why is Mr. Pontellier reading a day-old newspaper?
(a) The day's paper has not yet reached the Grande Isle.
(b) He is too cheap to buy the day's paper.
(c) He likes old news, not current news.
(d) He is a slow reader .
5. What is singing in French and a little Spanish?
(a) A fat man
(b) A green and yellow parrot
(c) A green and yellow iguana
(d) A fat lady
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Madame Ratignolle explain the behavior of the Lebruns?
2. As they sail to the Cheniere Caminada, how does Edna feel?
3. What does Madame Ratignolle mean when she talks about her condition?
4. Raoul's condition prompts Mr. Pontellier to accuse his wife of:
5. What characteristic of the Creoles "impresses" Mrs. Pontellier?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think compelled Edna to jump into the ocean for a swim?
2. In Chapter 11, Edna defies her husband. Is she victorious?
3. Why do you think Mr. Pontellier is so enraged at his wife when he thinks Raoul has a fever?
4. How does Chopin use foreshadowing in this chapter to warn of events to come?
5. Describe Edna's feelings when she learns Robert is leaving for Mexico.
6. What is the first impression the author gives of Mr. Pontellier?
7. Is Leonce at all upset that his wife has been away with another man?
8. Despite growing closer to Adele, why does Edna still not reveal her thoughts to Adele?
9. Do you think Mr. Pontellier is too angry and too demanding when he gets angry at his wife for breaking their Tuesday routine?
10. If Edna were to tell Leonce how she really felt, would he understand? Would he listen? How would she tell him so it would get through to him?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)