|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Pontellier overhear Madame Ratignolle relate to Monsieur Farival in great detail?
(a) Her intimate moments with her husband
(b) How to cook a chicken Creole style
(c) Her interest in writing a novel
(d) One of her accouchements, or, childbirths
2. What does Madame Ratignolle beg Robert to do?
(a) Start an affair with Edna
(b) Accompany her to the house
(c) Fix her house
(d) Babsyit her children
3. Does Mademoiselle Reisz's performance affect anyone else?
(a) It arouses everyone.
(b) Only those who know music
(c) It excites the adults only.
(d) It excites the children only.
4. What does Adele Ratignolle urge Robert to do?
(a) To find someone his own age
(b) To get a part-time job
(c) To leave Edna Pontellier alone
(d) To leave the Grande Isle
5. Where will Montel be next month?
(a) Santa Cruz
(b) No one is really sure
(c) Vera Cruz
(d) On a cruise ship
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edna do when her husband orders her to come inside?
2. What does opening up to Madame Ratignolle do for Edna?
3. When Edna cannot find Mademoiselle Reisz, who does she go to for help?
4. How does Edna feel upon leaving the Ratignolles?
5. Who is the embodiment of every womanly grace and charm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doe Edna feel so comfortable in Madame Antoine's house right away?
2. What is the first impression the author gives of Mr. Pontellier?
3. Why does Adele urge Robert not to pursue Edna?
4. What is it about the ocean that emboldens Edna?
5. Why do you think Robert manages to get Mademoiselle Reisz to play for Edna?
6. Before Edna visits the Ratignolles, she is consumed by thoughts of Robert. Is she obsessed? Infatuated? Are her feelings genuine?
7. Why does Robert want to stay and talk to Edna rather than leave?
8. If Edna were to tell Leonce how she really felt, would he understand? Would he listen? How would she tell him so it would get through to him?
9. Is Edna taking a big risk by going to the Lebrun house to find Mademoiselle Reisz's address?
10. Madame Ratignolle--what kind of woman is she?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)