|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although they do not talk, what does the author say is happening between Robert and Edna?
(a) They are feeling the throbbings of desire.
(b) They have a lot to say but cannot find the right words.
(c) They are allowing anger to fester within themselves.
(d) They are learning to be silent around each other.
2. What does Edna do when her husband orders her to come inside?
(a) She asks if they can get a larger cottage.
(b) She refuses to obey him.
(c) She obeys him instantly.
(d) She suggests they take a walk.
3. What kind of woman is Edna not?
(a) A crazy woman
(b) A career woman
(c) A mean woman
(d) A mother-woman
4. Why does Edna feel a pang of jealousy toward Madame Lebrun?
(a) She is a better painter than Edna.
(b) Robert wrote to his mother but not to Edna.
(c) She is richer than Edna.
(d) She is more beautiful than Edna.
5. After declining Robert's invitation to go to the beach, how does Edna feel?
(a) She is glad to be alone and painting
(b) She feels relieved, because she cannot swim.
(c) She feels contradictory, regretting she had not gone and glad that she had not.
(d) She feels sad, because it might the last time he ever asks her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert say in response to Edna's comment that they have spent the entire day together?
2. Why is Robert at Grande Isle?
3. Raoul's condition prompts Mr. Pontellier to accuse his wife of:
4. Edna wonders how many years she has slept. Robert says:
5. What does Robert talk a great deal about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Despite growing closer to Adele, why does Edna still not reveal her thoughts to Adele?
2. What do you think the author means when she says Edna was beginning to understand her place in the universe as a woman and as a human being?
3. Mrs. Pontellier and Madame Ratignolle have a heated argument in which Edna says she would be willing to give up anything for her children except for herself. What does she mean by this? And why does it upset Madame Ratignolle so much?
4. What is the first impression the author gives of Mrs. Pontellier?
5. What is it about the ocean that emboldens Edna?
6. Do you think Mr. Pontellier is too angry and too demanding when he gets angry at his wife for breaking their Tuesday routine?
7. Given all of the time and attention and affection from Robert and now his sudden departure, what kind of person is he? Do you think he is different from the man you first read about? Has he been deceptive? Is he fearful?
8. Why doe Edna feel so comfortable in Madame Antoine's house right away?
9. Is Leonce at all upset that his wife has been away with another man?
10. Why does Edna throw such a violent fit after Leonce takes off to have dinner at the club?
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)