|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Edna thinks her husband's bad humor is because of:
(a) The hot weather
(c) His work
(d) His bad finances
2. What does Madame Ratignolle beg Robert to do?
(a) Fix her house
(b) Start an affair with Edna
(c) Accompany her to the house
(d) Babsyit her children
3. What does Edna see when Mademoiselle Reisz plays?
(a) Herself playing the piano
(b) Nothing. But she feels passions that make her choke with tears.
(c) The future in gross detail
(d) Her life unfold like a beautiful flower
4. What does Mrs. Pontellier overhear Madame Ratignolle relate to Monsieur Farival in great detail?
(a) Her intimate moments with her husband
(b) One of her accouchements, or, childbirths
(c) Her interest in writing a novel
(d) How to cook a chicken Creole style
5. What folly has Mrs. Pontellier committed, according to her husband?
(a) She has bathed at a bad time.
(b) She is under a white sunshade when a black one would be better.
(c) She has taken swimming lessons .
(d) She has bought an ugly swimsuit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Mr. Pontellier is asleep, Mrs. Pontellier leaves the room and:
2. Where is Leonce when Edna returns from the Cheniere?
3. In retrospect, how does Edna feel about stomping on her wedding ring?
4. Madame Lebrun remarks that sometimes she thinks Mrs. Pontellier is:
5. Describe Madame Antoine:
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Robert appear in any way to be a "bad boy"? If so, how?
2. Before Edna visits the Ratignolles, she is consumed by thoughts of Robert. Is she obsessed? Infatuated? Are her feelings genuine?
3. Given all of the time and attention and affection from Robert and now his sudden departure, what kind of person is he? Do you think he is different from the man you first read about? Has he been deceptive? Is he fearful?
4. What is the first impression the author gives of Mrs. Pontellier?
5. Why do you think Mr. Pontellier is so enraged at his wife when he thinks Raoul has a fever?
6. Why does Adele urge Robert not to pursue Edna?
7. Why does Edna leave the Ratignolles in a depressed rather than a happy state of mind?
8. Edna and Adele grow close. How are they different?
9. If Edna were to tell Leonce how she really felt, would he understand? Would he listen? How would she tell him so it would get through to him?
10. Why do you think Robert manages to get Mademoiselle Reisz to play for Edna?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)