|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Edna gradually awakens, as if from a dream to feel:
(a) The realities pressing into her soul
(b) Like she should sleep and dream more
(c) That it is better to sleep in a real bed
(d) That she really is in a dream
2. Why does it anger Mr. Pontellier so much that Edna went out on Tuesday?
(a) He has a short fuse.
(b) He is actually not that angry but sarcastic.
(c) He thinks it will hurt his business and reputation.
(d) He hates anything out of the ordinary.
3. Where is Mr. Pontellier eager to go the next day?
(a) Wall Street, to conduct business
(b) Easy Street, to open a bar
(c) Bourbon Street, the heart of New Orleans
(d) Carondelet Street, the business center of the city
4. What does Edna throw at Robert?
(a) Her shoe
(b) An orange she plucked from a tree
(c) A pillow
(d) A frying pan
5. What is Edna realizing about herself?
(a) That she has some emotions for Robert
(b) That she likes Victor, not Robert
(c) That she hates her husband
(d) That her children are a massive burden
Short Answer Questions
1. What folly has Mrs. Pontellier committed, according to her husband?
2. Who approaches Mr. Pontellier underneath a white sunshade?
3. Madame Lebrun remarks that sometimes she thinks Mrs. Pontellier is:
4. How does Victor Lebrun describe Edna?
5. What happens to Edna at the service?
Short Essay Questions
1. Despite growing closer to Adele, why does Edna still not reveal her thoughts to Adele?
2. Describe Edna's feelings when she learns Robert is leaving for Mexico.
3. Why does Robert want to stay and talk to Edna rather than leave?
4. What do you think compelled Edna to jump into the ocean for a swim?
5. Why does Edna leave the Ratignolles in a depressed rather than a happy state of mind?
6. Before Edna visits the Ratignolles, she is consumed by thoughts of Robert. Is she obsessed? Infatuated? Are her feelings genuine?
7. Despite his sudden departure, and the way in which she found out he was leaving, Edna really misses him. Why is his absence so painful for her?
8. What is the first impression the author gives of Mrs. Pontellier?
9. Is Edna taking a big risk by going to the Lebrun house to find Mademoiselle Reisz's address?
10. Is Leonce at all upset that his wife has been away with another man?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)