|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Leonce is so dissatisfied with dinner he leaves to:
(a) Go to see his doctor
(b) Go to the Ratignolles
(c) Go to a restaurant
(d) Go to the club
2. According to Edna, her marriage to Leonce Pontellier was purely an:
(a) Act of convenience
(b) Amiable thing to do
(d) Act of rebellion
3. What news does Edna learn once she joins the others for dinner?
(a) That Robert is actually married to Mariequita
(b) That Robert is going to New York
(c) That Robert is going to Mexico
(d) That Robert is going to Europe
4. What does Mrs. Pontellier overhear Madame Ratignolle relate to Monsieur Farival in great detail?
(a) How to cook a chicken Creole style
(b) One of her accouchements, or, childbirths
(c) Her intimate moments with her husband
(d) Her interest in writing a novel
5. What does Edna do after her conversation with Mademoiselle Reisz?
(a) She plunges into the ocean with abandon.
(b) She goes for a walk.
(c) She tries to find Robert's contact information.
(d) She announces she is going to renew her vows to Leonce.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Robert's going away affected Edna?
2. What do the Farival twins perform at the Grand Isle celebration?
3. What does Leonce believe is a way to become rich?
4. What does Mr. Pontellier promise to bring back for his sons?
5. After declining Robert's invitation to go to the beach, how does Edna feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Edna cry so hard after her husband scolds her for being what he considers a neglectful mother?
2. Is Leonce at all upset that his wife has been away with another man?
3. Why does Edna throw such a violent fit after Leonce takes off to have dinner at the club?
4. Edna and Adele grow close. How are they different?
5. What do you think the author means when she says Edna was beginning to understand her place in the universe as a woman and as a human being?
6. Why do you think Mr. Pontellier is so enraged at his wife when he thinks Raoul has a fever?
7. Given all of the time and attention and affection from Robert and now his sudden departure, what kind of person is he? Do you think he is different from the man you first read about? Has he been deceptive? Is he fearful?
8. If Edna were to tell Leonce how she really felt, would he understand? Would he listen? How would she tell him so it would get through to him?
9. What is it about the ocean that emboldens Edna?
10. What do we learn is different about Mrs. Pontellier from the other wives who summer at the Grande Isle?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)