|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Edna, her marriage to Leonce Pontellier was purely an:
(a) Act of rebellion
(b) Amiable thing to do
(c) Act of convenience
2. What does Robert jokingly say happened to Mrs. Pontellier when she was in the ocean?
(a) No one watched her because they knew she was a good swimmer.
(b) He never jokes.
(c) She looked like a shark.
(d) A spirit rose from the Gulf and found her.
3. What kind of woman is Edna not?
(a) A mother-woman
(b) A crazy woman
(c) A mean woman
(d) A career woman
4. What does Madame Ratignolle think of the Mexicans?
(a) They are a treacherous, unscrupulous and revengeful people.
(b) She confuses them with the Spanish.
(c) They are the most delightful people she knows.
(d) She knows nothing of them and is very curious.
5. What had Edna attempted to learn all summer?
(a) How to cook
(b) How to swim
(c) How to memorize poetry
(d) How to fish
Short Answer Questions
1. Leonce is so dissatisfied with dinner he leaves to:
2. Describe Madame Antoine:
3. Why does Robert smoke cigarettes?
4. What does Edna realize about herself after learning of Robert's departure?
5. Why does Edna feel a pang of jealousy toward Madame Lebrun?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chopin uses the image of water as a symbol for what?
2. Once Edna has returned to the cottage, she finds herself alone and contemplates her life. Does she feel that she has changed since arriving at the Grande Isle? Does she understand how these changes, however small or dramatic, could be life-changing for her?
3. What is the first impression the author gives of Mr. Pontellier?
4. Edna and Adele grow close. How are they different?
5. Why does Edna leave the Ratignolles in a depressed rather than a happy state of mind?
6. Describe Mrs. Pontellier's reaction to hearing Mademoiselle Reisz's performance.
7. Why does Adele urge Robert not to pursue Edna?
8. Why does Robert want to stay and talk to Edna rather than leave?
9. Mrs. Pontellier and Madame Ratignolle have a heated argument in which Edna says she would be willing to give up anything for her children except for herself. What does she mean by this? And why does it upset Madame Ratignolle so much?
10. Why do you think Robert manages to get Mademoiselle Reisz to play for Edna?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)