|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mrs. Pontellier talks about:
(a) Her husband's business, their house on Esplanade Street
(b) Her children
(c) The weather
(d) Her father's Mississippi plantation, Kentucky, and her sister's engagement
2. What does Edna call the piece she often hears Mademoiselle Reisz play?
(d) Swinging Blues
3. What were some of the reasons Edna decided to marry Leonce Pontellier?
(a) He was wealthy beyond her imagination.
(b) He was completely different from her father.
(c) Her father and sister were violently opposed to him.
(d) He was irresitibly handsome and charming.
4. What does Victor say has changed Edna?
(a) His being around her
(b) Her new confidence
(c) The city atmosphere
(d) Her sense of style
5. After declining Robert's invitation to go to the beach, how does Edna feel?
(a) She feels contradictory, regretting she had not gone and glad that she had not.
(b) She feels relieved, because she cannot swim.
(c) She feels sad, because it might the last time he ever asks her.
(d) She is glad to be alone and painting
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Leonce when Edna returns from the Cheniere?
2. What does Madame Ratignolle think of the Mexicans?
3. Why does Edna choose to remain in the hammock?
4. When did Robert decide to make this trip?
5. What do the Farival twins perform at the Grand Isle celebration?
Short Essay Questions
1. Madame Ratignolle--what kind of woman is she?
2. What is the first impression the author gives of Mrs. Pontellier?
3. What is the first thing that Edna wonders after she wakes up at Madame Antoine's?
4. Why doe Edna feel so comfortable in Madame Antoine's house right away?
5. Why do you think Robert manages to get Mademoiselle Reisz to play for Edna?
6. If Edna were to tell Leonce how she really felt, would he understand? Would he listen? How would she tell him so it would get through to him?
7. Why does Edna cry so hard after her husband scolds her for being what he considers a neglectful mother?
8. Describe Edna's feelings when she learns Robert is leaving for Mexico.
9. Describe Mrs. Pontellier's reaction to hearing Mademoiselle Reisz's performance.
10. What is the purpose of Mariequita in this part of the story?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)