|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Robert done pretty much every summer at Grande Isle?
(a) He has written a novel.
(b) Gone fishing
(c) He would devote himself to one married woman.
(d) He has built a house.
2. Madame Lebrun remarks that sometimes she thinks Mrs. Pontellier is:
3. When Mr. Pontellier checks in on his sons, he thinks that Raoul has:
(a) Been having nightmares
(b) A bizarre disease
(c) A strange animal with him
(d) A fever
4. How does Mr. Pontellier view his home?
(a) With great modesty
(b) With great pride
(c) He is not one to be interested in a house.
(d) He wishes it were smaller.
5. Why does Edna feel a pang of jealousy toward Madame Lebrun?
(a) She is richer than Edna.
(b) She is more beautiful than Edna.
(c) Robert wrote to his mother but not to Edna.
(d) She is a better painter than Edna.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Madame Antoine cooking for dinner?
2. According to Edna, her marriage to Leonce Pontellier was purely an:
3. What do the Farival twins perform at the Grand Isle celebration?
4. Who does Robert ask to perform for Mrs. Pontellier?
5. Once Mr. Pontellier is asleep, Mrs. Pontellier leaves the room and:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doe Edna feel so comfortable in Madame Antoine's house right away?
2. What do you think the author means when she says Edna was beginning to understand her place in the universe as a woman and as a human being?
3. If Edna were to tell Leonce how she really felt, would he understand? Would he listen? How would she tell him so it would get through to him?
4. Why does Robert want to stay and talk to Edna rather than leave?
5. Before Edna visits the Ratignolles, she is consumed by thoughts of Robert. Is she obsessed? Infatuated? Are her feelings genuine?
6. Why does Adele urge Robert not to pursue Edna?
7. Why does Edna throw such a violent fit after Leonce takes off to have dinner at the club?
8. What do we learn is different about Mrs. Pontellier from the other wives who summer at the Grande Isle?
9. Robert talks about his mother, Mrs. Lebrun. What does his mother do at the Grande Isle?
10. Madame Ratignolle--what kind of woman is she?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)