|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were some of the reasons Edna decided to marry Leonce Pontellier?
(a) He was completely different from her father.
(b) He was irresitibly handsome and charming.
(c) He was wealthy beyond her imagination.
(d) Her father and sister were violently opposed to him.
2. What does Victor say has changed Edna?
(a) Her new confidence
(b) His being around her
(c) Her sense of style
(d) The city atmosphere
3. According to Edna, her marriage to Leonce Pontellier was purely an:
(b) Amiable thing to do
(c) Act of convenience
(d) Act of rebellion
4. The news of Robert's departure upsets Edna so much she goes to:
(a) The beach
(b) Her room
(c) The neighbor's dinner party
(d) The train station
5. Why does Robert smoke cigarettes?
(a) He cannot afford cigars.
(b) No particular reasons
(c) He thinks it makes him look good.
(d) He cannot afford pipes.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mr. Pontellier checks in on his sons, he thinks that Raoul has:
2. What do the Farival twins perform at the Grand Isle celebration?
3. How does Mr. Pontellier view his home?
4. Why does Mr. Pontellier stop reading his newspaper?
5. What does Edna do after her conversation with Mademoiselle Reisz?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once Edna has returned to the cottage, she finds herself alone and contemplates her life. Does she feel that she has changed since arriving at the Grande Isle? Does she understand how these changes, however small or dramatic, could be life-changing for her?
2. The author says that Edna's will had blazed up. However, Leonce has a strong will, too. What is going on in this chapter? How is the Pontellier marriage changing?
3. What do you think compelled Edna to jump into the ocean for a swim?
4. Why does Edna leave the Ratignolles in a depressed rather than a happy state of mind?
5. Does Robert appear in any way to be a "bad boy"? If so, how?
6. Why does Robert want to stay and talk to Edna rather than leave?
7. Describe Mrs. Pontellier's reaction to hearing Mademoiselle Reisz's performance.
8. Is Edna taking a big risk by going to the Lebrun house to find Mademoiselle Reisz's address?
9. Chopin uses the image of water as a symbol for what?
10. Given all of the time and attention and affection from Robert and now his sudden departure, what kind of person is he? Do you think he is different from the man you first read about? Has he been deceptive? Is he fearful?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)