|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mariequita think of Robert and Edna?
(a) That they would make good foster parents
(b) That they should separate immediately
(c) That they have a secret
(d) That they are sweethearts
2. When Mr. Pontellier checks in on his sons, he thinks that Raoul has:
(a) A bizarre disease
(b) A fever
(c) Been having nightmares
(d) A strange animal with him
3. Alone in her room, what does Edna do?
(a) She packs her bags but decides not to leave.
(b) She laughs uncontrollably.
(c) She cuts up the linens with sharp scissors.
(d) She tears up a handkerchief, stomps on her wedding ring and smashes a vase.
4. Edna gradually awakens, as if from a dream to feel:
(a) The realities pressing into her soul
(b) That she really is in a dream
(c) That it is better to sleep in a real bed
(d) Like she should sleep and dream more
5. Who does Robert ask to perform for Mrs. Pontellier?
(a) Madame Lebrun
(b) Mademoiselle Reisz
(c) Mr. Pontellier
(d) Madame Ratignolle
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edna do at Madame Antoine's?
2. Who is Montel?
3. Once Mr. Pontellier is asleep, Mrs. Pontellier leaves the room and:
4. What does Edna want to do with Madame Ratignolle?
5. After declining Robert's invitation to go to the beach, how does Edna feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Edna throw such a violent fit after Leonce takes off to have dinner at the club?
2. Describe Mrs. Pontellier's reaction to hearing Mademoiselle Reisz's performance.
3. Why does Adele urge Robert not to pursue Edna?
4. What is the purpose of Mariequita in this part of the story?
5. What is it about the ocean that emboldens Edna?
6. Is Edna taking a big risk by going to the Lebrun house to find Mademoiselle Reisz's address?
7. What is the first impression the author gives of Mrs. Pontellier?
8. What do you think the author means when she says Edna was beginning to understand her place in the universe as a woman and as a human being?
9. In Chapter 11, Edna defies her husband. Is she victorious?
10. Chopin uses the image of water as a symbol for what?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)