|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is very fond of Robert?
(a) The Pontellier children
(b) No one. Everyone dislikes him.
(c) The church parishoners
(d) His mother
2. What does Robert say in response to Edna's comment that they have spent the entire day together?
(a) He does not think that is correct.
(b) All but the hundred years she was sleeping
(c) He does not really care, so he has no response.
(d) He is embarrassed at the remark and turns away.
3. Mrs. Pontellier talks about:
(a) Her husband's business, their house on Esplanade Street
(b) The weather
(c) Her children
(d) Her father's Mississippi plantation, Kentucky, and her sister's engagement
4. What does Robert talk a great deal about?
(b) His brother
(d) His mother
5. Where will Montel be next month?
(a) On a cruise ship
(b) No one is really sure
(c) Vera Cruz
(d) Santa Cruz
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Edna search for?
2. What does Mr. Pontellier send home to his wife while he is away?
3. What does Edna see when Mademoiselle Reisz plays?
4. Where is Mr. Pontellier eager to go the next day?
5. Leonce is so dissatisfied with dinner he leaves to:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first impression the author gives of Mr. Pontellier?
2. Why does Edna leave the Ratignolles in a depressed rather than a happy state of mind?
3. Once Edna has returned to the cottage, she finds herself alone and contemplates her life. Does she feel that she has changed since arriving at the Grande Isle? Does she understand how these changes, however small or dramatic, could be life-changing for her?
4. Chopin uses the image of water as a symbol for what?
5. If Edna were to tell Leonce how she really felt, would he understand? Would he listen? How would she tell him so it would get through to him?
6. What is the purpose of Mariequita in this part of the story?
7. What is the first thing that Edna wonders after she wakes up at Madame Antoine's?
8. Why do you think Robert manages to get Mademoiselle Reisz to play for Edna?
9. Describe Mrs. Pontellier's reaction to hearing Mademoiselle Reisz's performance.
10. Describe Edna's feelings when she learns Robert is leaving for Mexico.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)