Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once Mr. Pontellier is asleep, Mrs. Pontellier leaves the room and:
(a) Devises a scheme to move out
(b) Reads a book
(c) Cries almost uncontrollably
(d) Writes letters to her father
2. Rather than paint, what does Mr. Pontellier think his wife should be doing?
(a) Going back to school
(b) Volunteering at a hospital
(c) Looking after the children and household
(d) Getting a job
3. Who does Edna search for?
(a) Mademoiselle Reisz
(b) Madame Antoine
(d) Victor Lebrun
4. What kind of woman is Edna not?
(a) A crazy woman
(b) A mean woman
(c) A career woman
(d) A mother-woman
5. Where is Leonce when Edna returns from the Cheniere?
(a) He went to Madame Antoine's.
(b) He is walking along the beach.
(c) He is now at the Cheniere.
(d) He is at Klein's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert talk a great deal about?
2. What does Robert do while Mrs. Pontellier paints?
3. What does Edna do when her husband orders her to come inside?
4. As they sail to the Cheniere Caminada, how does Edna feel?
5. When did Robert decide to make this trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Are Robert Lebrun and Alcee Arobin alike? Or are they dramatically different from one another?
2. Why does Edna not want to attend her sister's wedding?
3. Despite his sudden departure, and the way in which she found out he was leaving, Edna really misses him. Why is his absence so painful for her?
4. Why do you think Mr. Pontellier is so enraged at his wife when he thinks Raoul has a fever?
5. Did the author give any warning that this love affair might not end happily?
6. In addition to her move, what occasion is the group celebrating?
7. Do you think Edna's feelings were Robert were genuine?
8. What do you think the author means when she says Edna was beginning to understand her place in the universe as a woman and as a human being?
9. Edna and Adele grow close. How are they different?
10. What is the first impression the author gives of Mrs. Pontellier?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)