|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mr. Pontellier reading a day-old newspaper?
(a) He likes old news, not current news.
(b) He is a slow reader .
(c) The day's paper has not yet reached the Grande Isle.
(d) He is too cheap to buy the day's paper.
2. What does Edna do when her husband orders her to come inside?
(a) She refuses to obey him.
(b) She obeys him instantly.
(c) She asks if they can get a larger cottage.
(d) She suggests they take a walk.
3. Who is Montel?
(a) A servant at the Lebrun estate
(b) A friend of Edna's
(c) A man who is in love with Madame Lebrun
(d) A celebrity who vacations on the Grande Isle
4. How does Edna react to the news she learns at dinner?
(a) She is delighted.
(b) She is shocked.
(c) She is skeptical.
(d) She has no reaction.
5. Once Mr. Pontellier is asleep, Mrs. Pontellier leaves the room and:
(a) Writes letters to her father
(b) Devises a scheme to move out
(c) Cries almost uncontrollably
(d) Reads a book
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Edna feel a pang of jealousy toward Madame Lebrun?
2. How does the author describe Edna's feelings for her own children?
3. How does Victor Lebrun describe Edna?
4. Where is Robert when Edna discovers his plan?
5. What does Mademoiselle Reisz say to Edna after her performance?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 11, Edna defies her husband. Is she victorious?
2. Describe Edna's feelings when she learns Robert is leaving for Mexico.
3. What is the first impression the author gives of Mrs. Pontellier?
4. Robert talks about his mother, Mrs. Lebrun. What does his mother do at the Grande Isle?
5. What do you think the author means when she says Edna was beginning to understand her place in the universe as a woman and as a human being?
6. What is the purpose of Mariequita in this part of the story?
7. What do you think compelled Edna to jump into the ocean for a swim?
8. Do you think Mr. Pontellier is too angry and too demanding when he gets angry at his wife for breaking their Tuesday routine?
9. Why does Edna cry so hard after her husband scolds her for being what he considers a neglectful mother?
10. Why do you think Mr. Pontellier is so enraged at his wife when he thinks Raoul has a fever?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)