|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Edna react to the news she learns at dinner?
(a) She is skeptical.
(b) She is delighted.
(c) She is shocked.
(d) She has no reaction.
2. Where will Montel be next month?
(a) No one is really sure
(b) On a cruise ship
(c) Santa Cruz
(d) Vera Cruz
3. Who is very fond of Robert?
(a) The Pontellier children
(b) No one. Everyone dislikes him.
(c) The church parishoners
(d) His mother
4. How does Victor Lebrun describe Edna?
(c) Cute but too thin
(d) Lacking in fashion taste
5. What had Edna attempted to learn all summer?
(a) How to cook
(b) How to memorize poetry
(c) How to fish
(d) How to swim
Short Answer Questions
1. Around what time does Edna finally get up?
2. According to Edna, her marriage to Leonce Pontellier was purely an:
3. What does Mademoiselle Reisz say to Edna after her performance?
4. What news does Edna learn once she joins the others for dinner?
5. What does Edna see when Mademoiselle Reisz plays?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do we learn is different about Mrs. Pontellier from the other wives who summer at the Grande Isle?
2. Madame Ratignolle--what kind of woman is she?
3. Despite his sudden departure, and the way in which she found out he was leaving, Edna really misses him. Why is his absence so painful for her?
4. Before Edna visits the Ratignolles, she is consumed by thoughts of Robert. Is she obsessed? Infatuated? Are her feelings genuine?
5. What is the first thing that Edna wonders after she wakes up at Madame Antoine's?
6. What do you think compelled Edna to jump into the ocean for a swim?
7. Why do you think Mr. Pontellier is so enraged at his wife when he thinks Raoul has a fever?
8. Mrs. Pontellier and Madame Ratignolle have a heated argument in which Edna says she would be willing to give up anything for her children except for herself. What does she mean by this? And why does it upset Madame Ratignolle so much?
9. Is Edna taking a big risk by going to the Lebrun house to find Mademoiselle Reisz's address?
10. Describe Mrs. Pontellier's reaction to hearing Mademoiselle Reisz's performance.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)