|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Edna cannot find Mademoiselle Reisz, who does she go to for help?
(b) Adele Ratignolle
(c) The Police
(d) Madame Lebrun
2. What is singing in French and a little Spanish?
(a) A green and yellow parrot
(b) A fat lady
(c) A fat man
(d) A green and yellow iguana
3. What does Edna want to do with Madame Ratignolle?
(a) Start a restaurant
(b) Paint a portrait of her
(c) Talk politics
(d) Start an art business
4. How has Robert's going away affected Edna?
(a) She is not entirely sure yet.
(b) She feels like she is going mad.
(c) She has lost her appetite and is losing weight.
(d) It has taken the brightness, the color, the meaning out of everything.
5. What happens on Tuesdays in the Pontellier home?
(a) It is gardening day so it is very noisy.
(b) It is not different from other days of the week.
(c) It is reception day when people come by for visits.
(d) It is cleaning day when the housekeeper comes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert jokingly say happened to Mrs. Pontellier when she was in the ocean?
2. Does Mrs. Pontellier feel comfortable in the company of Creoles?
3. What does Madame Ratignolle think of the Mexicans?
4. Edna wonders how many years she has slept. Robert says:
5. Who is Montel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Edna's feelings when she learns Robert is leaving for Mexico.
2. Edna and Adele grow close. How are they different?
3. Do you think Mr. Pontellier is too angry and too demanding when he gets angry at his wife for breaking their Tuesday routine?
4. Despite growing closer to Adele, why does Edna still not reveal her thoughts to Adele?
5. Why do you think Mr. Pontellier is so enraged at his wife when he thinks Raoul has a fever?
6. What is it about the ocean that emboldens Edna?
7. Mrs. Pontellier and Madame Ratignolle have a heated argument in which Edna says she would be willing to give up anything for her children except for herself. What does she mean by this? And why does it upset Madame Ratignolle so much?
8. Madame Ratignolle--what kind of woman is she?
9. In Chapter 11, Edna defies her husband. Is she victorious?
10. Why does Robert want to stay and talk to Edna rather than leave?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)