|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the former hotel suite of Francisco d'Anconia, what is the subtle meaning of that location when Rearden meets Mouch and the "Washington boys"?
2. What conflict does Rand set up within the character of Dagny Taggart?
3. What does Dagny's insistence on working as housemaid for John Galt say about her.
4. How has Cherryl changed from the dime store clerk James married?
5. How does Dr. Ferris get Hank Rearden to sign over Rearden Metal to the government?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dramatic change takes place in the character of Cherryl Taggart? Explain.
2. Describe the revelation Dagny gets from the vagrant worker she invited to dinner on the train.
3. Summarize the message John Galt gives to the people when he takes control of the radio frequency.
4. Discuss the implication of Project X as it relates to the communist society that builds it.
5. Dagny sees the wheels of her railroad cars as being symbolic of something she and Hank continue to fight for. Explain.
6. What happens in the valley that indicates that Dagny is not yet ready to drop out and join everyone there?
7. How does Rand now make it plain that Eddie Willer's cafeteria friend has been using him to spy on Dagny?
8. Discuss the events as Stadler finds them at Project X.
9. How does Dr. Ferris get Hank Rearden to sign over Rearden Metal to the government?
10. When does Dagny finally take the oath of the followers of John Galt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do an indepth character study of Ragnar Danneskjtzld the pirate who hates violence but does so much destruction in the novel. Is there some significance to his coloring? What is his only religious tenet that he holds to?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the names of characters and businesses Ayn Rand uses in ATLAS SHRUGGED.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Francisco say that it is Dagny that he has to fight? Write a paper describing his purpose in fighting her. Include examples of how difficult it is to fight Dagny.
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)