|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dagny's insistence on working as housemaid for John Galt say about her.
2. What is the obvious symbolism of the Project X machine that is so destructive.
3. What news was in the letter the doorman had held for Dagny for a week?
4. What does Hank find when he returns to Rearden Metal plant?
5. Dagny wants to build a narrow gauge railroad in the valley and then changes her mind. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of the regulations under Directive 10-289.
2. Dagny sees the wheels of her railroad cars as being symbolic of something she and Hank continue to fight for. Explain.
3. After her return, Dagny is invited to speak on national radio. Describe her appearance on the show.
4. What dramatic change takes place in the character of Cherryl Taggart? Explain.
5. Discuss Francisco's parting message to the world before he, too, disappears.
6. What happens in the valley that indicates that Dagny is not yet ready to drop out and join everyone there?
7. Describe the meeting between John Galt and Dr. Stadler.
8. How does Dr. Ferris get Hank Rearden to sign over Rearden Metal to the government?
9. Eddie Willers is left alone with the last train broken down in the desert. How does Rand portray the result of the communist rule?
10. Describe Dagny's reaction when Danagger says to her, "Well, done, Dagny."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining your personal feelings about the socialist government in ATLAS SHRUGGED.
Essay Topic 2
Do an indepth character study of Ragnar Danneskjtzld the pirate who hates violence but does so much destruction in the novel. Is there some significance to his coloring? What is his only religious tenet that he holds to?
Essay Topic 3
In a few pages, define the manufacture of Rearden Metal and why Taggart, Boye, and Mouch were so afraid of it.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)