|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dagny, Hank, Francisco and Ragnar storm the Project F building, what indicates that Ragnar's reputation has preceded him?
2. The communistic government wanted people to sacrifice their minds and products for the good of society. How is John Galt more honorable?
3. What is the doctrine Galt says is used to keep otherwise rational people in line?
4. What crisis brings Rearden before the Unification Board?
5. What literary device does Rand use to show the end of Eddie's dream of one day marrying Dagny.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rand now make it plain that Eddie Willer's cafeteria friend has been using him to spy on Dagny?
2. Discuss the fact that Dagny refuses to take money from John Galt unless she works for it.
3. Describe the first meeting between Hank Rearden and Ragnar Danneskjtzld.
4. Describe the meeting between John Galt and Dr. Stadler.
5. Describe the revelation Dagny gets from the vagrant worker she invited to dinner on the train.
6. Describe how differently Dagny and Cherryl work to get out of an unacceptable situation.
7. When does Dagny finally take the oath of the followers of John Galt?
8. What happens in the valley that indicates that Dagny is not yet ready to drop out and join everyone there?
9. Eddie Willers is left alone with the last train broken down in the desert. How does Rand portray the result of the communist rule?
10. What happens when Washington politician Kip Chalmers insists that the stalled Comet go on through a dangerous tunnel because he has a speaking appointment in San Francisco.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In a few pages, define the manufacture of Rearden Metal and why Taggart, Boye, and Mouch were so afraid of it.
Essay Topic 2
In the mid 1950ds when ATLAS SHRUGGED was first published, things like refractor rays, light weight steel alloys, and sonic destroyers were fantastic. Write a few pages about how Rand's imagination may be nearer to the truth today.
Essay Topic 3
In a short essay explain how Francisco goes about portraying himself as a worthless playboy. Use specific examples.
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)