|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dagny deal with the failure of communications on the Taggart Transcontinental when copper wire breaks and cannot be quickly replaced?
2. How does Rand make a strong argument against incompetence?
3. when Dagny comes to after her plane crashes in the Colorado mountains, who is the first person she sees?
4. What is the last thing passengers see on Kip Chalmers' train as they enter the tunnel?
5. Danneskjtzld contrasts himself with what legendary hero?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the implication of Project X as it relates to the communist society that builds it.
2. What happens when Washington politician Kip Chalmers insists that the stalled Comet go on through a dangerous tunnel because he has a speaking appointment in San Francisco.
3. How does Rand now make it plain that Eddie Willer's cafeteria friend has been using him to spy on Dagny?
4. What happens in the valley that indicates that Dagny is not yet ready to drop out and join everyone there?
5. Describe the first meeting between Hank Rearden and Ragnar Danneskjtzld.
6. As the world economy crumbles, describe the condition of Hank's family.
7. Describe the revelation Dagny gets from the vagrant worker she invited to dinner on the train.
8. When Francisco comes to visit Dagny in the cabin near Woodstock, what idea does she have about the disappearance of so many business people?
9. Describe some of the regulations under Directive 10-289.
10. Eddie Willers is left alone with the last train broken down in the desert. How does Rand portray the result of the communist rule?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In a few pages, define the manufacture of Rearden Metal and why Taggart, Boye, and Mouch were so afraid of it.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper contrasting Eddie's and Dagny's feelings about Francisco. Eddie says, "He makes me feel safe." Dagny says, "He makes me expect excitement and danger."
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about John Galt's relationship to the other characters.
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)