|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last thing passengers see on Kip Chalmers' train as they enter the tunnel?
2. John Galt is strapped naked to a table with electrodes attached to various parts of his body. What does that symbolize?
3. What happens to all the South American d'Anconia Copper Mines immediately after they are nationalized by the various governments?
4. In being true to herself, Dagny still does not get what Francisco has been trying to tell her. What analogy does Francisco make that Dagny misses?
5. Who does Dagny discover is working for her as a common laborer?
Short Essay Questions
1. After her return, Dagny is invited to speak on national radio. Describe her appearance on the show.
2. Discuss the implication of Project X as it relates to the communist society that builds it.
3. Explain the significance of the $ sign on the cigarettes.
4. After they capture John Galt, explain why his life is not in immediate danger.
5. Dagny sees the wheels of her railroad cars as being symbolic of something she and Hank continue to fight for. Explain.
6. When Francisco comes to visit Dagny in the cabin near Woodstock, what idea does she have about the disappearance of so many business people?
7. Discuss Francisco's parting message to the world before he, too, disappears.
8. How does Rand now make it plain that Eddie Willer's cafeteria friend has been using him to spy on Dagny?
9. How does Dr. Ferris get Hank Rearden to sign over Rearden Metal to the government?
10. Eddie Willers is left alone with the last train broken down in the desert. How does Rand portray the result of the communist rule?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel opens with New York's buildings being dingy and gray; toward the middle, even the elevators cannot go past the 25th floor; in the end, New York simply disappears. Write an essay explaining the symbolism of New York in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the character of Phillip Rearden. How is he unlike his brother Hank?
Essay Topic 3
Do an indepth character study of Ragnar Danneskjtzld the pirate who hates violence but does so much destruction in the novel. Is there some significance to his coloring? What is his only religious tenet that he holds to?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)