|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Dagny to resign from Taggart Transcontinental?
2. What is the symbolism of the explosion in the Colorado tunnel?
3. Dagny wants to build a narrow gauge railroad in the valley and then changes her mind. Why?
4. As they were flying away with John Galt, why did Galt tell Dagny not to look down?
5. What is the irony of Dr. Robert Stadler's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dagny's reaction when Danagger says to her, "Well, done, Dagny."
2. Eddie Willers is left alone with the last train broken down in the desert. How does Rand portray the result of the communist rule?
3. What happens when Washington politician Kip Chalmers insists that the stalled Comet go on through a dangerous tunnel because he has a speaking appointment in San Francisco.
4. What kind of assurance does Francisco try to give Dagny when he visits her in her apartment?
5. After her return, Dagny is invited to speak on national radio. Describe her appearance on the show.
6. Discuss the fact that Dagny refuses to take money from John Galt unless she works for it.
7. After they capture John Galt, explain why his life is not in immediate danger.
8. Explain the significance of the $ sign on the cigarettes.
9. Describe the first meeting between Hank Rearden and Ragnar Danneskjtzld.
10. Francisco shows up to deliver Hank when an angry mod attacks his Rearden Metal plant. Why is this a turning point for Hank Rearden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel opens with New York's buildings being dingy and gray; toward the middle, even the elevators cannot go past the 25th floor; in the end, New York simply disappears. Write an essay explaining the symbolism of New York in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about John Galt's relationship to the other characters.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about influence peddling. Refer to Cuffy Meigs sending train cars to Louisiana to pick up worthless soy beans while the grain crops in Minesota rot for lack of trasportation.
Do you think we see some influence peddling in our government today?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)