|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is playing the piano at John Galt's house?
2. In being true to herself, Dagny still does not get what Francisco has been trying to tell her. What analogy does Francisco make that Dagny misses?
3. The Unification Board is now in complete control and more regulations are passed. What is the result?
4. What is Rand's symbol of the ultimate destruction of socialism?
5. What is the last thing passengers see on Kip Chalmers' train as they enter the tunnel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the meeting between John Galt and Dr. Stadler.
2. Describe some of the regulations under Directive 10-289.
3. What dramatic change takes place in the character of Cherryl Taggart? Explain.
4. Explain the significance of the $ sign on the cigarettes.
5. As they take their leave, the city of New York disappears as they fly over. Explain the significance of that.
6. Describe how differently Dagny and Cherryl work to get out of an unacceptable situation.
7. What kind of assurance does Francisco try to give Dagny when he visits her in her apartment?
8. What happens in the valley that indicates that Dagny is not yet ready to drop out and join everyone there?
9. Discuss the events as Stadler finds them at Project X.
10. As the world economy crumbles, describe the condition of Hank's family.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
ATLAS SHRUGGED was written about 1957. In the story, all of the major governments on earth have become socialistic. Write an essay describing what New York City looked like at that time.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the character of Phillip Rearden. How is he unlike his brother Hank?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on Project X and compare it to WMDs today.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)