|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dagny is held up by the stopped train, how does she continue her way to Colorado?
2. Why are there only half enough freight cars to ship the Minnesota wheat crop to the East coast?
3. What is happening to trains everywhere in the nation?
4. What causes Dagny to return to Taggart Transcontinental?
5. How does James Taggart retain his position as President of Taggart Transcontinental?
Short Essay Questions
1. After her return, Dagny is invited to speak on national radio. Describe her appearance on the show.
2. Discuss the events as Stadler finds them at Project X.
3. How does Rand now make it plain that Eddie Willer's cafeteria friend has been using him to spy on Dagny?
4. Discuss Francisco's parting message to the world before he, too, disappears.
5. What happens in the valley that indicates that Dagny is not yet ready to drop out and join everyone there?
6. Eddie Willers is left alone with the last train broken down in the desert. How does Rand portray the result of the communist rule?
7. Francisco shows up to deliver Hank when an angry mod attacks his Rearden Metal plant. Why is this a turning point for Hank Rearden?
8. As the world economy crumbles, describe the condition of Hank's family.
9. Describe the meeting between John Galt and Dr. Stadler.
10. Discuss the fact that Dagny refuses to take money from John Galt unless she works for it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel opens with New York's buildings being dingy and gray; toward the middle, even the elevators cannot go past the 25th floor; in the end, New York simply disappears. Write an essay explaining the symbolism of New York in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the names of characters and businesses Ayn Rand uses in ATLAS SHRUGGED.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about influence peddling. Refer to Cuffy Meigs sending train cars to Louisiana to pick up worthless soy beans while the grain crops in Minesota rot for lack of trasportation.
Do you think we see some influence peddling in our government today?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)