|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ultimately, what is the only light remaining on the earth outside of Atlantis?
2. What is the doctrine Galt says is used to keep otherwise rational people in line?
3. How does James Taggart demonstrate his disdain for money?
4. Who is the owner of the valley?
5. How does Rand use the history of Twentieth Century Motors to define communism?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the message John Galt gives to the people when he takes control of the radio frequency.
2. When Francisco comes to visit Dagny in the cabin near Woodstock, what idea does she have about the disappearance of so many business people?
3. As the world economy crumbles, describe the condition of Hank's family.
4. Describe the invitation John Galt gives before he leaves the air.
5. Explain the significance of the $ sign on the cigarettes.
6. Describe the meeting between John Galt and Dr. Stadler.
7. Discuss the events as Stadler finds them at Project X.
8. Describe how differently Dagny and Cherryl work to get out of an unacceptable situation.
9. What happens when Washington politician Kip Chalmers insists that the stalled Comet go on through a dangerous tunnel because he has a speaking appointment in San Francisco.
10. Describe Dagny's reaction when Danagger says to her, "Well, done, Dagny."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pretend you are a book reviewer for your local paper. Write a short review of ATLAS SHRUGGED saying why you would or would not recommend it.
Essay Topic 2
In a few pages, define the manufacture of Rearden Metal and why Taggart, Boye, and Mouch were so afraid of it.
Essay Topic 3
The novel opens with New York's buildings being dingy and gray; toward the middle, even the elevators cannot go past the 25th floor; in the end, New York simply disappears. Write an essay explaining the symbolism of New York in the novel.
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)