Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the Thanksgiving dinner, why does Lillian urge Hank not to fight the lawsuit?
2. What strange exchange occurs between Dagny and Lillian at he party?
3. What is Rearden's suggestion to Dagny about giving in to the state?
4. What did the National Alliance of Railroads pass to eliminate competition?
5. What does Rearden sell off after the bill banning people from owning multiple businesses is passed?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Francisco comes to visit Dagny in the cabin near Woodstock, what idea does she have about the disappearance of so many business people?
2. Describe how the chain is viewed by Henry Rearden, Lillian Rearden, and Dagny Taggart. Explain its significance to the story.
3. Briefly explain Dr. Stadler's surprise that the motor Dagny found was being developed in a remote automobile factory.
4. Describe some of the regulations under Directive 10-289.
5. After her plane crash, Dagny wakes up in the valley that Rand compares to Atlantis, a lost continent. What does she then realize?
6. Summarize the message John Galt gives to the people when he takes control of the radio frequency.
7. What is the significance of "the best hamburger" Dagny has ever tasted when she goes to the diner in Wyoming?
8. What dramatic change takes place in the character of Cherryl Taggart? Explain.
9. What happens in the valley that indicates that Dagny is not yet ready to drop out and join everyone there?
10. Write a few paragraphs on why Hank Rearden does not mind supporting his idle family but refuses to give Phillip a job he is not qualified to handle.
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining your personal feelings about the socialist government in ATLAS SHRUGGED.
Essay Topic 2
In a short essay explain how Francisco goes about portraying himself as a worthless playboy. Use specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Pretend you are a book reviewer for your local paper. Write a short review of ATLAS SHRUGGED saying why you would or would not recommend it.
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)