|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on what she knows at the moment, what conclusion does Dagny draw about the disappearance of men like Wyatt?
2. How does Bertram Scudder, editor of "The Future" magazine, characterize Hank Rearden?
3. What sarcastic comment does Dagny make to James Taggart and Wesley Mouch?
4. At the party, James Taggart demands that Francisco explain why the San Sebastian mines are worthless. What is Francisco's ironic reply?
5. Rand uses the failure of Twentieth Century Motors to make what point about socialism?
Short Essay Questions
1. Rand introduces "Wyatt's Torch" as Dagny returns on the train to Wyatt Junction. What does the term suggest?
2. At his trial, Hank Rearden refuses to give the government the "sanction of the victim." Explain what he means.
3. Francisco d'Anconia, heir of the d'Anconia Copper Mining empire, has developed a reputation as a playboy and a dilettante. Itemize the events in his early years with Dagny and James Taggart that are contradictory to that image.
4. Explain the significance of the mysterious Halley's Fifth Concerto in developing the novel.
5. What is the significance of "the best hamburger" Dagny has ever tasted when she goes to the diner in Wyoming?
6. Briefly explain Dr. Stadler's surprise that the motor Dagny found was being developed in a remote automobile factory.
7. Write a few paragraphs on why Hank Rearden does not mind supporting his idle family but refuses to give Phillip a job he is not qualified to handle.
8. In the chapter Rand calls "Account Overdrawn," how does the author picture the results of the socialist government's regulations?
9. Discuss the different views from "the top" and "the bottom."
10. Discuss the significance of the names Rand gives to the businesses in ATLAS SHRUGGED.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper about John Galt's relationship to the other characters.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing Dagny as a true feminist, years ahead of her time.
Essay Topic 3
Write a short skit between Dagny and James after he learns about the junk on the line going down to Mexico.
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)