|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is almost single handedly responsible for opening up trade in Colorado?
2. When Hank Rearden learns that the legislature has passed the Equalization of Opportunity Bill, what does he learn from Mouch, his lobbyist in Washington?
3. What is the result of the government's decision to divert coal to the People's Republic of England?
4. What sarcastic comment does Dagny make to James Taggart and Wesley Mouch?
5. Who is planning to build diesel engines for Taggart Transcontinental?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the symbolism of Lillian's taking Dagny's diamond bracelet in exchange for the Rearden Metal chain.
2. Discuss the significance of the names Rand gives to the businesses in ATLAS SHRUGGED.
3. Rand introduces "Wyatt's Torch" as Dagny returns on the train to Wyatt Junction. What does the term suggest?
4. Discuss the different views from "the top" and "the bottom."
5. Dagny sees Hank Rearden as a "man who belongs on earth." Explain why.
6. When Cherryl confronts Dagny and says that she is now Mrs. Taggart, the woman of the family, Dagny replies, "That's quite all right. I'm the man." Explain what she means by that comment.
7. Explain the significance of the mysterious Halley's Fifth Concerto in developing the novel.
8. Why is the idea of "motive" so important in the novel? Explain in detail.
9. Francisco d'Anconia, heir of the d'Anconia Copper Mining empire, has developed a reputation as a playboy and a dilettante. Itemize the events in his early years with Dagny and James Taggart that are contradictory to that image.
10. Briefly explain Dr. Stadler's surprise that the motor Dagny found was being developed in a remote automobile factory.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the character of Phillip Rearden. How is he unlike his brother Hank?
Essay Topic 2
In a short essay explain how Francisco goes about portraying himself as a worthless playboy. Use specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper contrasting Eddie's and Dagny's feelings about Francisco. Eddie says, "He makes me feel safe." Dagny says, "He makes me expect excitement and danger."
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)