|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after the disappearance of Wyatt and his vast Colorado oil fields?
2. What does Phillip want to leave Henry's house?
3. When the Taggart board and the Washington influence peddlers meet, what is the irony of their meeting place?
4. Who is the childhood friend of Jim and Dagny who now works for them?
5. What caused Francisco's ancestor out of Spain to Argentina where he became wealthy as a copper miner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dagny sees Hank Rearden as a "man who belongs on earth." Explain why.
2. As James Taggart and Dagny discuss plans for Taggart Transcontinental, James' attitude sets the stage for the real conflict in ATLAS SHRUGGED. Explain.
3. What is the significance of "the best hamburger" Dagny has ever tasted when she goes to the diner in Wyoming?
4. Describe how the chain is viewed by Henry Rearden, Lillian Rearden, and Dagny Taggart. Explain its significance to the story.
5. Rand introduces "Wyatt's Torch" as Dagny returns on the train to Wyatt Junction. What does the term suggest?
6. In the chapter Rand calls "Account Overdrawn," how does the author picture the results of the socialist government's regulations?
7. Lillian demands the Rearden Metal bracelet back and threatens to tell everyone that Dagny is sleeping with her husband. What is the irony of that situation?
8. When an agreement is reached that closes the John Galt Line and the Rio Norte Line, what does Francisco mean when he asks Dagny if they had murdered John Galt?
9. Explain the symbolism of Lillian's taking Dagny's diamond bracelet in exchange for the Rearden Metal chain.
10. Using the example of the Anti-Dog-Eat-Dog rule, explain in a few paragraphs how eliminating competition by legislation destroys productivity.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about influence peddling. Refer to Cuffy Meigs sending train cars to Louisiana to pick up worthless soy beans while the grain crops in Minesota rot for lack of trasportation.
Do you think we see some influence peddling in our government today?
Essay Topic 2
Write a short paper about what Francisco left behind in Mexico. Why did he pay top dollar for inferior materials?
Essay Topic 3
Do an indepth character study of Ragnar Danneskjtzld the pirate who hates violence but does so much destruction in the novel. Is there some significance to his coloring? What is his only religious tenet that he holds to?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)