|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Dagny not learn the name of the third student at Patrick Henry University according to Dr. Akston?
2. What is Dagny's reaction to Eugene Lawson's claim that his motives were pure at Twentieth Century Motors because he never made a profit?
3. A theme that runs throughout ATLAS SHRUGGED is one which shows strength and character outside but emptiness and moral corruption inside. What metaphor does Ayn Rand use to illustrate this idea?
4. Who offers to help Dagny solve the problem of the rotting wooden bridge on her Colorado line?
5. How does the organization, Friends of Global Progress, view Rearden Steel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the chain is viewed by Henry Rearden, Lillian Rearden, and Dagny Taggart. Explain its significance to the story.
2. Explain the significance of the $ sign on the cigarettes.
3. Eddie Willers is left alone with the last train broken down in the desert. How does Rand portray the result of the communist rule?
4. Lillian demands the Rearden Metal bracelet back and threatens to tell everyone that Dagny is sleeping with her husband. What is the irony of that situation?
5. At his trial, Hank Rearden refuses to give the government the "sanction of the victim." Explain what he means.
6. Explain the significance of the mysterious Halley's Fifth Concerto in developing the novel.
7. What is the significance of "the best hamburger" Dagny has ever tasted when she goes to the diner in Wyoming?
8. Francisco engineers a huge financial fraud on the Mexican government and greedy shareholders like James Taggart and Orren Boyle. Then he asks Dagny, "Who is John Galt?" How does Rand use his character to build suspense?
9. Describe the meeting between John Galt and Dr. Stadler.
10. Discuss the fact that Dagny refuses to take money from John Galt unless she works for it.
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper contrasting Eddie's and Dagny's feelings about Francisco. Eddie says, "He makes me feel safe." Dagny says, "He makes me expect excitement and danger."
Essay Topic 2
Write a short skit between Dagny and James after he learns about the junk on the line going down to Mexico.
Essay Topic 3
Write about Ellis Wyatt the first time he meets Dagny. Describe him as a businessman.
This section contains 1,544 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)