|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the meaning of "Wyatt's torch"?
2. What is Mouch's new job after he resigns as Rearden's Washington lobbyist?
3. What was Francisco's nickname for Dagny when they were children?
4. Where does Dagny plan to start the first run of the John Galt Line?
5. Who is the childhood friend of Jim and Dagny who now works for them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the chain is viewed by Henry Rearden, Lillian Rearden, and Dagny Taggart. Explain its significance to the story.
2. Explain the conflict within Francisco when he discovers that Rearden had ordered copper from his mines in Argentina.
3. What dramatic change takes place in the character of Cherryl Taggart? Explain.
4. Describe the meeting between John Galt and Dr. Stadler.
5. Describe the meaning and the purpose of "white blackmail."
6. Eddie Willers is left alone with the last train broken down in the desert. How does Rand portray the result of the communist rule?
7. What happens when Washington politician Kip Chalmers insists that the stalled Comet go on through a dangerous tunnel because he has a speaking appointment in San Francisco.
8. Discuss the significance of the turnout of Taggart employees and the armed guards every mile along the initial John Galt Line train.
9. Dagny sees Hank Rearden as a "man who belongs on earth." Explain why.
10. What kind of assurance does Francisco try to give Dagny when he visits her in her apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing Dagny as a true feminist, years ahead of her time.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on Project X and compare it to WMDs today.
Essay Topic 3
In a few pages, define the manufacture of Rearden Metal and why Taggart, Boye, and Mouch were so afraid of it.
This section contains 1,409 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)