|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why will Amalgamated Switch and Signal Company not complete Dagny's order for switches and signals on the Colorado line?
2. Why does Dagny have to wait to get in to see Dannager when she goes to see him before his trial?
3. What was Francisco's nickname for Dagny when they were children?
4. What is Dagny's amazing discovery at Twentieth Century Motors?
5. What is the lie that James Taggart tells the Board of Taggert Railroad?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the meaning and the purpose of "white blackmail."
2. Briefly explain Dr. Stadler's surprise that the motor Dagny found was being developed in a remote automobile factory.
3. As James Taggart and Dagny discuss plans for Taggart Transcontinental, James' attitude sets the stage for the real conflict in ATLAS SHRUGGED. Explain.
4. The title of the chapter, "The Exploiters and the Exploited" might suggest that the industrialists like Hank Rearden exploit the public by creating products for their own personal gratification. Rand, however, turns that around to suggest that the socialist government are exploiting the industrialists. Support that idea.
5. Write a few paragraphs on why Hank Rearden does not mind supporting his idle family but refuses to give Phillip a job he is not qualified to handle.
6. Discuss the significance of the names Rand gives to the businesses in ATLAS SHRUGGED.
7. When an agreement is reached that closes the John Galt Line and the Rio Norte Line, what does Francisco mean when he asks Dagny if they had murdered John Galt?
8. Explain the symbolism of Lillian's taking Dagny's diamond bracelet in exchange for the Rearden Metal chain.
9. Explain the symbolism of the Twentieth Century Motor Company as Dagny and Hank find it.
10. Using the example of the Anti-Dog-Eat-Dog rule, explain in a few paragraphs how eliminating competition by legislation destroys productivity.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the character of Phillip Rearden. How is he unlike his brother Hank?
Essay Topic 2
In a short essay explain how Francisco goes about portraying himself as a worthless playboy. Use specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Write about Ellis Wyatt the first time he meets Dagny. Describe him as a businessman.
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)