|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the party, James Taggart demands that Francisco explain why the San Sebastian mines are worthless. What is Francisco's ironic reply?
2. How does the organization, Friends of Global Progress, view Rearden Steel?
3. What is Dagny's amazing discovery at Twentieth Century Motors?
4. When Dr. Stadler questions why the man who was developing the revolutionary motor was working in a factory research lab, what is Dagny's reply?
5. Who is planning to build diesel engines for Taggart Transcontinental?
Short Essay Questions
1. At his trial, Hank Rearden refuses to give the government the "sanction of the victim." Explain what he means.
2. Dagny sees Hank Rearden as a "man who belongs on earth." Explain why.
3. Discuss the significance of the names Rand gives to the businesses in ATLAS SHRUGGED.
4. When an agreement is reached that closes the John Galt Line and the Rio Norte Line, what does Francisco mean when he asks Dagny if they had murdered John Galt?
5. How does the Twentieth Century Motor Company demonstrate the results of the communistic idea of "from each according to his ability, to each according to his need"?
6. Why is the idea of "motive" so important in the novel? Explain in detail.
7. In the chapter Rand calls "Account Overdrawn," how does the author picture the results of the socialist government's regulations?
8. The "Immovable Movers" in Rand's novel are the industrialists like Dagny and Rearden who produce because it is in their blood to do so. They produce for the joy of accomplishment and thus provide for the society as a whole. Rand compares them to the mythical Greek god Atlas who purportedly holds up the world on his shoulders. Explain her conclusions.
9. Write a few paragraphs on why Hank Rearden does not mind supporting his idle family but refuses to give Phillip a job he is not qualified to handle.
10. Explain the symbolism of the Twentieth Century Motor Company as Dagny and Hank find it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Nathaniel Taggart, the founder of the Taggart Transcontinental.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper contrasting Eddie's and Dagny's feelings about Francisco. Eddie says, "He makes me feel safe." Dagny says, "He makes me expect excitement and danger."
Essay Topic 3
Pretend you are a book reviewer for your local paper. Write a short review of ATLAS SHRUGGED saying why you would or would not recommend it.
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)