|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the organization, Friends of Global Progress, view Rearden Steel?
2. What is the purpose of the party Lillian plans to give in three months?
3. What show of support does Dagny get from employees of Taggart Transcontinental?
4. Before Hank Rearden, Dagny has had only one lover. She will not tell Rearden his name. Who was he?
5. When Hank Rearden learns that the legislature has passed the Equalization of Opportunity Bill, what does he learn from Mouch, his lobbyist in Washington?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of "the best hamburger" Dagny has ever tasted when she goes to the diner in Wyoming?
2. Discuss the different views from "the top" and "the bottom."
3. When Cherryl confronts Dagny and says that she is now Mrs. Taggart, the woman of the family, Dagny replies, "That's quite all right. I'm the man." Explain what she means by that comment.
4. When an agreement is reached that closes the John Galt Line and the Rio Norte Line, what does Francisco mean when he asks Dagny if they had murdered John Galt?
5. The title of the chapter, "The Exploiters and the Exploited" might suggest that the industrialists like Hank Rearden exploit the public by creating products for their own personal gratification. Rand, however, turns that around to suggest that the socialist government are exploiting the industrialists. Support that idea.
6. Briefly explain Dr. Stadler's surprise that the motor Dagny found was being developed in a remote automobile factory.
7. Explain the conflict within Francisco when he discovers that Rearden had ordered copper from his mines in Argentina.
8. Write a few paragraphs on why Hank Rearden does not mind supporting his idle family but refuses to give Phillip a job he is not qualified to handle.
9. Explain the symbolism of the Twentieth Century Motor Company as Dagny and Hank find it.
10. Francisco engineers a huge financial fraud on the Mexican government and greedy shareholders like James Taggart and Orren Boyle. Then he asks Dagny, "Who is John Galt?" How does Rand use his character to build suspense?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the mid 1950ds when ATLAS SHRUGGED was first published, things like refractor rays, light weight steel alloys, and sonic destroyers were fantastic. Write a few pages about how Rand's imagination may be nearer to the truth today.
Essay Topic 2
In a few pages, define the manufacture of Rearden Metal and why Taggart, Boye, and Mouch were so afraid of it.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper contrasting Eddie's and Dagny's feelings about Francisco. Eddie says, "He makes me feel safe." Dagny says, "He makes me expect excitement and danger."
This section contains 1,295 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)