|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Stadler talks about having known John Galt who he believes is dead. What is his recollection of Galt?
2. What is the problem Rearden sees in any government that professes to run by committee for the "public good."
3. At the Thanksgiving dinner, why does Lillian urge Hank not to fight the lawsuit?
4. Why does Dannager refuse to say "Good-bye" to Dagny?
5. What is the surprising question Francisco poses to Dagny at the wedding reception?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the significance of the turnout of Taggart employees and the armed guards every mile along the initial John Galt Line train.
2. At his trial, Hank Rearden refuses to give the government the "sanction of the victim." Explain what he means.
3. Rand introduces "Wyatt's Torch" as Dagny returns on the train to Wyatt Junction. What does the term suggest?
4. Discuss the different views from "the top" and "the bottom."
5. How does the scene of the broken furnace give Hank insight into Francisco's real character?
6. The "Immovable Movers" in Rand's novel are the industrialists like Dagny and Rearden who produce because it is in their blood to do so. They produce for the joy of accomplishment and thus provide for the society as a whole. Rand compares them to the mythical Greek god Atlas who purportedly holds up the world on his shoulders. Explain her conclusions.
7. How does the Twentieth Century Motor Company demonstrate the results of the communistic idea of "from each according to his ability, to each according to his need"?
8. Write a few paragraphs on why Hank Rearden does not mind supporting his idle family but refuses to give Phillip a job he is not qualified to handle.
9. What is the significance of "the best hamburger" Dagny has ever tasted when she goes to the diner in Wyoming?
10. Explain how the mystery of Eddie Willers' unnamed friend in the cafeteria and the shadowy man Dagny sees outside her office add to the suspense of the novel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the names of characters and businesses Ayn Rand uses in ATLAS SHRUGGED.
Essay Topic 2
Pretend you are a book reviewer for your local paper. Write a short review of ATLAS SHRUGGED saying why you would or would not recommend it.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Francisco say that it is Dagny that he has to fight? Write a paper describing his purpose in fighting her. Include examples of how difficult it is to fight Dagny.
This section contains 1,293 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)