|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on what she knows at the moment, what conclusion does Dagny draw about the disappearance of men like Wyatt?
2. What is the "Fifth Concerto"?
3. What does Phillip want to leave Henry's house?
4. Dr. Stadler talks about having known John Galt who he believes is dead. What is his recollection of Galt?
5. Who is planning to build diesel engines for Taggart Transcontinental?
Short Essay Questions
1. Francisco d'Anconia, heir of the d'Anconia Copper Mining empire, has developed a reputation as a playboy and a dilettante. Itemize the events in his early years with Dagny and James Taggart that are contradictory to that image.
2. Rand introduces "Wyatt's Torch" as Dagny returns on the train to Wyatt Junction. What does the term suggest?
3. Explain the conflict within Francisco when he discovers that Rearden had ordered copper from his mines in Argentina.
4. Discuss the different views from "the top" and "the bottom."
5. When an agreement is reached that closes the John Galt Line and the Rio Norte Line, what does Francisco mean when he asks Dagny if they had murdered John Galt?
6. Why is the idea of "motive" so important in the novel? Explain in detail.
7. The title of the chapter, "The Exploiters and the Exploited" might suggest that the industrialists like Hank Rearden exploit the public by creating products for their own personal gratification. Rand, however, turns that around to suggest that the socialist government are exploiting the industrialists. Support that idea.
8. Lillian demands the Rearden Metal bracelet back and threatens to tell everyone that Dagny is sleeping with her husband. What is the irony of that situation?
9. Dagny sees Hank Rearden as a "man who belongs on earth." Explain why.
10. At first, Hank Rearden dislikes Francisco d'Anconia. Explain his reasons.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do an indepth character study of Ragnar Danneskjtzld the pirate who hates violence but does so much destruction in the novel. Is there some significance to his coloring? What is his only religious tenet that he holds to?
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about John Galt's relationship to the other characters.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing Dagny as a true feminist, years ahead of her time.
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)