|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Sternes say they tried to run Twentieth Century Motors?
2. What does Francisco d'Anconia say the socialists will use to replace "the aristocracy of money"?
3. At home and in despair, what music is Dagny listening to when she puts down her head and cries?
4. Who is the childhood friend of Jim and Dagny who now works for them?
5. What is the lie that James Taggart tells the Board of Taggert Railroad?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the symbolism of the Twentieth Century Motor Company as Dagny and Hank find it.
2. Explain the conflict within Francisco when he discovers that Rearden had ordered copper from his mines in Argentina.
3. Francisco d'Anconia, heir of the d'Anconia Copper Mining empire, has developed a reputation as a playboy and a dilettante. Itemize the events in his early years with Dagny and James Taggart that are contradictory to that image.
4. In the chapter Rand calls "Account Overdrawn," how does the author picture the results of the socialist government's regulations?
5. At first, Hank Rearden dislikes Francisco d'Anconia. Explain his reasons.
6. Lillian demands the Rearden Metal bracelet back and threatens to tell everyone that Dagny is sleeping with her husband. What is the irony of that situation?
7. How does the scene of the broken furnace give Hank insight into Francisco's real character?
8. The "Immovable Movers" in Rand's novel are the industrialists like Dagny and Rearden who produce because it is in their blood to do so. They produce for the joy of accomplishment and thus provide for the society as a whole. Rand compares them to the mythical Greek god Atlas who purportedly holds up the world on his shoulders. Explain her conclusions.
9. Rand introduces "Wyatt's Torch" as Dagny returns on the train to Wyatt Junction. What does the term suggest?
10. Describe how the chain is viewed by Henry Rearden, Lillian Rearden, and Dagny Taggart. Explain its significance to the story.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about influence peddling. Refer to Cuffy Meigs sending train cars to Louisiana to pick up worthless soy beans while the grain crops in Minesota rot for lack of trasportation.
Do you think we see some influence peddling in our government today?
Essay Topic 2
Write about Ellis Wyatt the first time he meets Dagny. Describe him as a businessman.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about John Galt's relationship to the other characters.
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)