Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What decision does Dagny make when she is nine years old?
2. Where does Dagny plan to start the first run of the John Galt Line?
3. Why does Dannager refuse to say "Good-bye" to Dagny?
4. When the Taggart board and the Washington influence peddlers meet, what is the irony of their meeting place?
5. What is the problem Rearden sees in any government that professes to run by committee for the "public good."
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rand now make it plain that Eddie Willer's cafeteria friend has been using him to spy on Dagny?
2. Using the example of the Anti-Dog-Eat-Dog rule, explain in a few paragraphs how eliminating competition by legislation destroys productivity.
3. Describe the first meeting between Hank Rearden and Ragnar Danneskjtzld.
4. Describe how differently Dagny and Cherryl work to get out of an unacceptable situation.
5. After they capture John Galt, explain why his life is not in immediate danger.
6. After her plane crash, Dagny wakes up in the valley that Rand compares to Atlantis, a lost continent. What does she then realize?
7. Why is the idea of "motive" so important in the novel? Explain in detail.
8. When Francisco comes to visit Dagny in the cabin near Woodstock, what idea does she have about the disappearance of so many business people?
9. As James Taggart and Dagny discuss plans for Taggart Transcontinental, James' attitude sets the stage for the real conflict in ATLAS SHRUGGED. Explain.
10. Francisco d'Anconia, heir of the d'Anconia Copper Mining empire, has developed a reputation as a playboy and a dilettante. Itemize the events in his early years with Dagny and James Taggart that are contradictory to that image.
Write an essay explaining your personal feelings about the socialist government in ATLAS SHRUGGED.
Write a short paper about what Francisco left behind in Mexico. Why did he pay top dollar for inferior materials?
Write an essay describing Dagny as a true feminist, years ahead of her time.
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)