|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the party Lillian plans to give in three months?
2. At the party, James Taggart demands that Francisco explain why the San Sebastian mines are worthless. What is Francisco's ironic reply?
3. James and Cherryl begin their unlikely romance. Where does James meet her?
4. Who is almost single handedly responsible for opening up trade in Colorado?
5. What is the lie that James Taggart tells the Board of Taggert Railroad?
Short Essay Questions
1. The "Immovable Movers" in Rand's novel are the industrialists like Dagny and Rearden who produce because it is in their blood to do so. They produce for the joy of accomplishment and thus provide for the society as a whole. Rand compares them to the mythical Greek god Atlas who purportedly holds up the world on his shoulders. Explain her conclusions.
2. How does the Twentieth Century Motor Company demonstrate the results of the communistic idea of "from each according to his ability, to each according to his need"?
3. Dagny sees Hank Rearden as a "man who belongs on earth." Explain why.
4. At first, Hank Rearden dislikes Francisco d'Anconia. Explain his reasons.
5. Why is the idea of "motive" so important in the novel? Explain in detail.
6. Describe how the chain is viewed by Henry Rearden, Lillian Rearden, and Dagny Taggart. Explain its significance to the story.
7. Explain the significance of the mysterious Halley's Fifth Concerto in developing the novel.
8. As James Taggart and Dagny discuss plans for Taggart Transcontinental, James' attitude sets the stage for the real conflict in ATLAS SHRUGGED. Explain.
9. Discuss the significance of the turnout of Taggart employees and the armed guards every mile along the initial John Galt Line train.
10. Francisco engineers a huge financial fraud on the Mexican government and greedy shareholders like James Taggart and Orren Boyle. Then he asks Dagny, "Who is John Galt?" How does Rand use his character to build suspense?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Nathaniel Taggart, the founder of the Taggart Transcontinental.
Essay Topic 2
Write a short skit between Dagny and James after he learns about the junk on the line going down to Mexico.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the names of characters and businesses Ayn Rand uses in ATLAS SHRUGGED.
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)