|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the Thanksgiving dinner, why does Lillian urge Hank not to fight the lawsuit?
2. What is the lie that James Taggart tells the Board of Taggert Railroad?
3. What is the purpose of the party Lillian plans to give in three months?
4. How did the Sternes say they tried to run Twentieth Century Motors?
5. When Dagny stops at a newsstand buy cigarettes, what is the last thing the vendor says to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. The "Immovable Movers" in Rand's novel are the industrialists like Dagny and Rearden who produce because it is in their blood to do so. They produce for the joy of accomplishment and thus provide for the society as a whole. Rand compares them to the mythical Greek god Atlas who purportedly holds up the world on his shoulders. Explain her conclusions.
2. Dagny sees Hank Rearden as a "man who belongs on earth." Explain why.
3. Lillian demands the Rearden Metal bracelet back and threatens to tell everyone that Dagny is sleeping with her husband. What is the irony of that situation?
4. At his trial, Hank Rearden refuses to give the government the "sanction of the victim." Explain what he means.
5. How does the Twentieth Century Motor Company demonstrate the results of the communistic idea of "from each according to his ability, to each according to his need"?
6. Write a few paragraphs on why Hank Rearden does not mind supporting his idle family but refuses to give Phillip a job he is not qualified to handle.
7. Discuss the different views from "the top" and "the bottom."
8. When Cherryl confronts Dagny and says that she is now Mrs. Taggart, the woman of the family, Dagny replies, "That's quite all right. I'm the man." Explain what she means by that comment.
9. Explain the symbolism of Lillian's taking Dagny's diamond bracelet in exchange for the Rearden Metal chain.
10. Describe how the chain is viewed by Henry Rearden, Lillian Rearden, and Dagny Taggart. Explain its significance to the story.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper about John Galt's relationship to the other characters.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the names of characters and businesses Ayn Rand uses in ATLAS SHRUGGED.
Essay Topic 3
In a few pages, define the manufacture of Rearden Metal and why Taggart, Boye, and Mouch were so afraid of it.
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)