|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rand show James Taggart's opportunism after the success of the John Galt Line?
2. What is the problem Rearden sees in any government that professes to run by committee for the "public good."
3. What sarcastic comment does Dagny make to James Taggart and Wesley Mouch?
4. At home and in despair, what music is Dagny listening to when she puts down her head and cries?
5. Who is the childhood friend of Jim and Dagny who now works for them?
Short Essay Questions
1. The "Immovable Movers" in Rand's novel are the industrialists like Dagny and Rearden who produce because it is in their blood to do so. They produce for the joy of accomplishment and thus provide for the society as a whole. Rand compares them to the mythical Greek god Atlas who purportedly holds up the world on his shoulders. Explain her conclusions.
2. Briefly explain Dr. Stadler's surprise that the motor Dagny found was being developed in a remote automobile factory.
3. Explain how the mystery of Eddie Willers' unnamed friend in the cafeteria and the shadowy man Dagny sees outside her office add to the suspense of the novel.
4. At first, Hank Rearden dislikes Francisco d'Anconia. Explain his reasons.
5. Discuss the significance of the turnout of Taggart employees and the armed guards every mile along the initial John Galt Line train.
6. Explain the symbolism of the Twentieth Century Motor Company as Dagny and Hank find it.
7. Francisco d'Anconia, heir of the d'Anconia Copper Mining empire, has developed a reputation as a playboy and a dilettante. Itemize the events in his early years with Dagny and James Taggart that are contradictory to that image.
8. Explain the symbolism of Lillian's taking Dagny's diamond bracelet in exchange for the Rearden Metal chain.
9. Explain the conflict within Francisco when he discovers that Rearden had ordered copper from his mines in Argentina.
10. When an agreement is reached that closes the John Galt Line and the Rio Norte Line, what does Francisco mean when he asks Dagny if they had murdered John Galt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel opens with New York's buildings being dingy and gray; toward the middle, even the elevators cannot go past the 25th floor; in the end, New York simply disappears. Write an essay explaining the symbolism of New York in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write a short paper about what Francisco left behind in Mexico. Why did he pay top dollar for inferior materials?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining your personal feelings about the socialist government in ATLAS SHRUGGED.
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)