|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dagny's reply to Cherryl's comment that she is "the woman in the Taggart family"?
2. What is the result of the government's decision to divert coal to the People's Republic of England?
3. Why are the guests at the party so eager to discuss the capture of Ragnar Danneskjtzld?
4. What sarcastic comment does Dagny make to James Taggart and Wesley Mouch?
5. How did the Sternes say they tried to run Twentieth Century Motors?
Short Essay Questions
1. The "Immovable Movers" in Rand's novel are the industrialists like Dagny and Rearden who produce because it is in their blood to do so. They produce for the joy of accomplishment and thus provide for the society as a whole. Rand compares them to the mythical Greek god Atlas who purportedly holds up the world on his shoulders. Explain her conclusions.
2. Discuss the significance of the names Rand gives to the businesses in ATLAS SHRUGGED.
3. As James Taggart and Dagny discuss plans for Taggart Transcontinental, James' attitude sets the stage for the real conflict in ATLAS SHRUGGED. Explain.
4. What is the significance of "the best hamburger" Dagny has ever tasted when she goes to the diner in Wyoming?
5. Describe how the chain is viewed by Henry Rearden, Lillian Rearden, and Dagny Taggart. Explain its significance to the story.
6. When Cherryl confronts Dagny and says that she is now Mrs. Taggart, the woman of the family, Dagny replies, "That's quite all right. I'm the man." Explain what she means by that comment.
7. The title of the chapter, "The Exploiters and the Exploited" might suggest that the industrialists like Hank Rearden exploit the public by creating products for their own personal gratification. Rand, however, turns that around to suggest that the socialist government are exploiting the industrialists. Support that idea.
8. Briefly explain Dr. Stadler's surprise that the motor Dagny found was being developed in a remote automobile factory.
9. Explain how the mystery of Eddie Willers' unnamed friend in the cafeteria and the shadowy man Dagny sees outside her office add to the suspense of the novel.
10. When an agreement is reached that closes the John Galt Line and the Rio Norte Line, what does Francisco mean when he asks Dagny if they had murdered John Galt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel opens with New York's buildings being dingy and gray; toward the middle, even the elevators cannot go past the 25th floor; in the end, New York simply disappears. Write an essay explaining the symbolism of New York in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper contrasting Eddie's and Dagny's feelings about Francisco. Eddie says, "He makes me feel safe." Dagny says, "He makes me expect excitement and danger."
Essay Topic 3
Do an indepth character study of Ragnar Danneskjtzld the pirate who hates violence but does so much destruction in the novel. Is there some significance to his coloring? What is his only religious tenet that he holds to?
This section contains 1,360 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)