|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dagny plan to start the first run of the John Galt Line?
2. What is the irony of the State Science Institute's demand for 10,000 tons of Rearden Metal?
3. How does Rand use the party to show the superficiality of the communist guests?
4. How old was Francisco when he took over d'Anconia Copper Mines?
5. How does Rand let the reader know that there is a connection between Francisco and Danneskjtzld?
Short Essay Questions
1. Rand introduces "Wyatt's Torch" as Dagny returns on the train to Wyatt Junction. What does the term suggest?
2. How does the scene of the broken furnace give Hank insight into Francisco's real character?
3. Explain the symbolism of the Twentieth Century Motor Company as Dagny and Hank find it.
4. Explain the conflict within Francisco when he discovers that Rearden had ordered copper from his mines in Argentina.
5. When an agreement is reached that closes the John Galt Line and the Rio Norte Line, what does Francisco mean when he asks Dagny if they had murdered John Galt?
6. Francisco engineers a huge financial fraud on the Mexican government and greedy shareholders like James Taggart and Orren Boyle. Then he asks Dagny, "Who is John Galt?" How does Rand use his character to build suspense?
7. Explain how the mystery of Eddie Willers' unnamed friend in the cafeteria and the shadowy man Dagny sees outside her office add to the suspense of the novel.
8. Describe how the chain is viewed by Henry Rearden, Lillian Rearden, and Dagny Taggart. Explain its significance to the story.
9. Write a few paragraphs on why Hank Rearden does not mind supporting his idle family but refuses to give Phillip a job he is not qualified to handle.
10. What is the significance of "the best hamburger" Dagny has ever tasted when she goes to the diner in Wyoming?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about influence peddling. Refer to Cuffy Meigs sending train cars to Louisiana to pick up worthless soy beans while the grain crops in Minesota rot for lack of trasportation.
Do you think we see some influence peddling in our government today?
Essay Topic 2
In a short essay explain how Francisco goes about portraying himself as a worthless playboy. Use specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the character of Phillip Rearden. How is he unlike his brother Hank?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)