|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dagny's reply to Cherryl's comment that she is "the woman in the Taggart family"?
2. What does "the chain" represent to Henry Rearden?
3. How did the Sternes say they tried to run Twentieth Century Motors?
4. What does Francisco d'Anconia say the socialists will use to replace "the aristocracy of money"?
5. What show of support does Dagny get from employees of Taggart Transcontinental?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dagny sees Hank Rearden as a "man who belongs on earth." Explain why.
2. At his trial, Hank Rearden refuses to give the government the "sanction of the victim." Explain what he means.
3. Describe how the chain is viewed by Henry Rearden, Lillian Rearden, and Dagny Taggart. Explain its significance to the story.
4. When an agreement is reached that closes the John Galt Line and the Rio Norte Line, what does Francisco mean when he asks Dagny if they had murdered John Galt?
5. Francisco engineers a huge financial fraud on the Mexican government and greedy shareholders like James Taggart and Orren Boyle. Then he asks Dagny, "Who is John Galt?" How does Rand use his character to build suspense?
6. Explain how the mystery of Eddie Willers' unnamed friend in the cafeteria and the shadowy man Dagny sees outside her office add to the suspense of the novel.
7. The "Immovable Movers" in Rand's novel are the industrialists like Dagny and Rearden who produce because it is in their blood to do so. They produce for the joy of accomplishment and thus provide for the society as a whole. Rand compares them to the mythical Greek god Atlas who purportedly holds up the world on his shoulders. Explain her conclusions.
8. Discuss the different views from "the top" and "the bottom."
9. Write a few paragraphs on why Hank Rearden does not mind supporting his idle family but refuses to give Phillip a job he is not qualified to handle.
10. What is the significance of "the best hamburger" Dagny has ever tasted when she goes to the diner in Wyoming?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about influence peddling. Refer to Cuffy Meigs sending train cars to Louisiana to pick up worthless soy beans while the grain crops in Minesota rot for lack of trasportation.
Do you think we see some influence peddling in our government today?
Essay Topic 2
Pretend you are a book reviewer for your local paper. Write a short review of ATLAS SHRUGGED saying why you would or would not recommend it.
Essay Topic 3
Write a short skit between Dagny and James after he learns about the junk on the line going down to Mexico.
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)