|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game does Francisco play with the Mexican government and the American stockholders in the San Sebastian Mines?
2. Why does Dagny take a leave of absence from her job as Vice President of Operations at Taggart Transcontinental?
3. What is the lie that James Taggart tells the Board of Taggert Railroad?
4. How does Rand let the reader know that there is a connection between Francisco and Danneskjtzld?
5. What is the purpose of the party Lillian plans to give in three months?
Short Essay Questions
1. As James Taggart and Dagny discuss plans for Taggart Transcontinental, James' attitude sets the stage for the real conflict in ATLAS SHRUGGED. Explain.
2. Discuss the different views from "the top" and "the bottom."
3. Describe how the chain is viewed by Henry Rearden, Lillian Rearden, and Dagny Taggart. Explain its significance to the story.
4. Using the example of the Anti-Dog-Eat-Dog rule, explain in a few paragraphs how eliminating competition by legislation destroys productivity.
5. When Cherryl confronts Dagny and says that she is now Mrs. Taggart, the woman of the family, Dagny replies, "That's quite all right. I'm the man." Explain what she means by that comment.
6. At first, Hank Rearden dislikes Francisco d'Anconia. Explain his reasons.
7. Explain the symbolism of Lillian's taking Dagny's diamond bracelet in exchange for the Rearden Metal chain.
8. Discuss the significance of the turnout of Taggart employees and the armed guards every mile along the initial John Galt Line train.
9. Write a few paragraphs on why Hank Rearden does not mind supporting his idle family but refuses to give Phillip a job he is not qualified to handle.
10. In the chapter Rand calls "Account Overdrawn," how does the author picture the results of the socialist government's regulations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In a short essay explain how Francisco goes about portraying himself as a worthless playboy. Use specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the character of Phillip Rearden. How is he unlike his brother Hank?
Essay Topic 3
Write a short paper about what Francisco left behind in Mexico. Why did he pay top dollar for inferior materials?
This section contains 1,228 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)