|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the party Lillian plans to give in three months?
2. When the Taggart board and the Washington influence peddlers meet, what is the irony of their meeting place?
3. Dr. Potter of the State Science Institute threatens Rearden who pretends not to understand his threats. Why?
4. What does Hank Rearden's mother suggest is Phillip's qualification to work for Rearden Metal?
5. At the party, James Taggart demands that Francisco explain why the San Sebastian mines are worthless. What is Francisco's ironic reply?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly explain Dr. Stadler's surprise that the motor Dagny found was being developed in a remote automobile factory.
2. Discuss the different views from "the top" and "the bottom."
3. At first, Hank Rearden dislikes Francisco d'Anconia. Explain his reasons.
4. Discuss the significance of the turnout of Taggart employees and the armed guards every mile along the initial John Galt Line train.
5. Explain the significance of the mysterious Halley's Fifth Concerto in developing the novel.
6. Rand introduces "Wyatt's Torch" as Dagny returns on the train to Wyatt Junction. What does the term suggest?
7. Explain the conflict within Francisco when he discovers that Rearden had ordered copper from his mines in Argentina.
8. Francisco engineers a huge financial fraud on the Mexican government and greedy shareholders like James Taggart and Orren Boyle. Then he asks Dagny, "Who is John Galt?" How does Rand use his character to build suspense?
9. The title of the chapter, "The Exploiters and the Exploited" might suggest that the industrialists like Hank Rearden exploit the public by creating products for their own personal gratification. Rand, however, turns that around to suggest that the socialist government are exploiting the industrialists. Support that idea.
10. Why is the idea of "motive" so important in the novel? Explain in detail.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel opens with New York's buildings being dingy and gray; toward the middle, even the elevators cannot go past the 25th floor; in the end, New York simply disappears. Write an essay explaining the symbolism of New York in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining your personal feelings about the socialist government in ATLAS SHRUGGED.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper contrasting Eddie's and Dagny's feelings about Francisco. Eddie says, "He makes me feel safe." Dagny says, "He makes me expect excitement and danger."
This section contains 1,237 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)