|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ayn Rand's objection to majority rule as put forth by the National Alliance of Railroads?
2. What does Rearden say the government needed to win against him.
3. Because of the Equity of Distribution Law, there is now a Deputy Director of Distribution handling all of Rearden Metal's orders. What is his nickname?
4. How does Rand show James Taggart's opportunism after the success of the John Galt Line?
5. What is the image Francisco d'Anconia has in the public eye?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the idea of "motive" so important in the novel? Explain in detail.
2. Describe the meaning and the purpose of "white blackmail."
3. Using the example of the Anti-Dog-Eat-Dog rule, explain in a few paragraphs how eliminating competition by legislation destroys productivity.
4. Rand introduces "Wyatt's Torch" as Dagny returns on the train to Wyatt Junction. What does the term suggest?
5. Discuss the different views from "the top" and "the bottom."
6. Explain the symbolism of the Twentieth Century Motor Company as Dagny and Hank find it.
7. Briefly explain Dr. Stadler's surprise that the motor Dagny found was being developed in a remote automobile factory.
8. When an agreement is reached that closes the John Galt Line and the Rio Norte Line, what does Francisco mean when he asks Dagny if they had murdered John Galt?
9. Describe how the chain is viewed by Henry Rearden, Lillian Rearden, and Dagny Taggart. Explain its significance to the story.
10. When Cherryl confronts Dagny and says that she is now Mrs. Taggart, the woman of the family, Dagny replies, "That's quite all right. I'm the man." Explain what she means by that comment.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Francisco say that it is Dagny that he has to fight? Write a paper describing his purpose in fighting her. Include examples of how difficult it is to fight Dagny.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on Project X and compare it to WMDs today.
Essay Topic 3
In a few pages, define the manufacture of Rearden Metal and why Taggart, Boye, and Mouch were so afraid of it.
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)