|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the cryptic question that sets the mood of suspense in ATLAS SHRUGGED?
2. When Dr. Stadler questions why the man who was developing the revolutionary motor was working in a factory research lab, what is Dagny's reply?
3. What does Rearden say the government needed to win against him.
4. Quentin Daniels is hired to reconstruct the revolutionary motor. What is Quentin's greatest desire.
5. What news does James Taggart receive that Dagny had predicted?
Short Essay Questions
1. At his trial, Hank Rearden refuses to give the government the "sanction of the victim." Explain what he means.
2. Discuss the significance of the names Rand gives to the businesses in ATLAS SHRUGGED.
3. Using the example of the Anti-Dog-Eat-Dog rule, explain in a few paragraphs how eliminating competition by legislation destroys productivity.
4. When Cherryl confronts Dagny and says that she is now Mrs. Taggart, the woman of the family, Dagny replies, "That's quite all right. I'm the man." Explain what she means by that comment.
5. Describe how the chain is viewed by Henry Rearden, Lillian Rearden, and Dagny Taggart. Explain its significance to the story.
6. At first, Hank Rearden dislikes Francisco d'Anconia. Explain his reasons.
7. What is the significance of "the best hamburger" Dagny has ever tasted when she goes to the diner in Wyoming?
8. When an agreement is reached that closes the John Galt Line and the Rio Norte Line, what does Francisco mean when he asks Dagny if they had murdered John Galt?
9. Explain the symbolism of Lillian's taking Dagny's diamond bracelet in exchange for the Rearden Metal chain.
10. Write a few paragraphs on why Hank Rearden does not mind supporting his idle family but refuses to give Phillip a job he is not qualified to handle.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a short skit between Dagny and James after he learns about the junk on the line going down to Mexico.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper contrasting Eddie's and Dagny's feelings about Francisco. Eddie says, "He makes me feel safe." Dagny says, "He makes me expect excitement and danger."
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about John Galt's relationship to the other characters.
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)