|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of the novel, what is Eddie Willers left with?
(a) He has lost everyting including his hope of marrying Dagny.
(b) He is now the President of Taggart Transcontinental.
(c) He is left with the responsibility to chronicle everything that has happened.
(d) He has only Dagny's gold cigarette case.
2. When Dagny is held up by the stopped train, how does she continue her way to Colorado?
(a) She buys a plane and flies there.
(b) She buys a car and drives the rest of the way.
(c) She calls Hank to come take her the rest of the way.
(d) She hitchhikes to Colorado.
3. Why does Cherryl go to visit Dagny?
(a) To apologize for what she said on her wedding day.
(b) To accuse her of destroying James.
(c) To borrow money so she can leave James.
(d) To ask if she can stay there for the night.
4. How does Rand use the history of Twentieth Century Motors to define communism?
(a) Plants under government controll never fail.
(b) When all motivation was taken away, no one wanted to work.
(c) When everyone had everything in common, the plant flourished.
(d) When capitalism ceases to be, everyone is happier.
5. How has Cherryl changed from the dime store clerk James married?
(a) she has learned how to get more and more money out of James.
(b) She is no longer innocent but plays the part of a shop girl to fool society.
(c) Now she has risen in poise and social stature.
(d) She has even less of an idea about things than she did when they married.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to Dagny during the time that John Galt was recaptured and taken away?
2. How does Rand make it clear that Eddie's mysterious cafeteria friend is the illusive John Galt?
3. What is the coincidence of Dagny stopping the conductor from throwing a vagrant off the train she is taking to see Quentin Daniels?
4. What message on the city calendar marquee made Rearden laugh out loud?
5. Dagny wants to build a narrow gauge railroad in the valley and then changes her mind. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the implication of Project X as it relates to the communist society that builds it.
2. What happens when Washington politician Kip Chalmers insists that the stalled Comet go on through a dangerous tunnel because he has a speaking appointment in San Francisco.
3. Discuss the fact that Dagny refuses to take money from John Galt unless she works for it.
4. Francisco shows up to deliver Hank when an angry mod attacks his Rearden Metal plant. Why is this a turning point for Hank Rearden?
5. As the Cuffy Meigs of the world gain control and the country is rapidly deteriorating, how does James Taggart view his personal situation?
6. Describe the revelation Dagny gets from the vagrant worker she invited to dinner on the train.
7. Describe the invitation John Galt gives before he leaves the air.
8. Dagny sees the wheels of her railroad cars as being symbolic of something she and Hank continue to fight for. Explain.
9. Discuss the events as Stadler finds them at Project X.
10. What happens in the valley that indicates that Dagny is not yet ready to drop out and join everyone there?
This section contains 1,294 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)