|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Dagny to return to Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) James' telephone call.
(b) Her boredom.
(c) News of the tunnel wreck.
(d) Her disgust with Francisco.
2. When Kellogg gives Dagny a cigarette marked with the $ sign, why does he give her an entire pack of the cigarettes?
(a) Because he says she's earned it.
(b) Because she forgot her cigarettes in New York.
(c) Because she doesn't ask him anything about the cigarettes.
(d) Because she thinks they are very pretty.
3. How does Dr. Ferris get Hank Rearden to sign over Rearden Metal to the government?
(a) By holding Lillian hostage.
(b) By threatening to expose his affair with Dagny.
(c) By convincing him it is the right thing to do.
(d) By promising him that he can continue to run the company.
4. What becomes of James Taggart?
(a) He is reduced to base hate and eventually collapses and dies.
(b) He gets sick and runs out of the room.
(c) He has a chage of heart and rushes to release Galt.
(d) He realizes that he has been wrong all of his life.
5. How does Rand use the history of Twentieth Century Motors to define communism?
(a) When everyone had everything in common, the plant flourished.
(b) Plants under government controll never fail.
(c) When capitalism ceases to be, everyone is happier.
(d) When all motivation was taken away, no one wanted to work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Danneskjtzld leave behind when he disappears into the darkness?
2. What does Galt suggest Thompson do if he is sincere about economic reform?
3. Hank realizes that their affair is over. What ended it?
4. How does Rand make it clear that Eddie's mysterious cafeteria friend is the illusive John Galt?
5. while John Galt is being held in a plush hotel suite, what is happening in the country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Francisco shows up to deliver Hank when an angry mod attacks his Rearden Metal plant. Why is this a turning point for Hank Rearden?
2. When Francisco comes to visit Dagny in the cabin near Woodstock, what idea does she have about the disappearance of so many business people?
3. Describe the first meeting between Hank Rearden and Ragnar Danneskjtzld.
4. What happens in the valley that indicates that Dagny is not yet ready to drop out and join everyone there?
5. When does Dagny finally take the oath of the followers of John Galt?
6. As the Cuffy Meigs of the world gain control and the country is rapidly deteriorating, how does James Taggart view his personal situation?
7. As they take their leave, the city of New York disappears as they fly over. Explain the significance of that.
8. After her return, Dagny is invited to speak on national radio. Describe her appearance on the show.
9. Summarize the message John Galt gives to the people when he takes control of the radio frequency.
10. How does Rand now make it plain that Eddie Willer's cafeteria friend has been using him to spy on Dagny?
This section contains 1,192 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)