|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has happened to Dagny during the time that John Galt was recaptured and taken away?
(a) She offers to tell everything she knows in exchange for John's life.
(b) She gets a gun and goes looking for Eddie Willers.
(c) She jumps to her death out of her apartment window.
(d) She decides to join the others at Atlantis.
2. At the end of the novel, what is Eddie Willers left with?
(a) He is left with the responsibility to chronicle everything that has happened.
(b) He has only Dagny's gold cigarette case.
(c) He is now the President of Taggart Transcontinental.
(d) He has lost everyting including his hope of marrying Dagny.
3. while John Galt is being held in a plush hotel suite, what is happening in the country?
(a) Everything comes to a standstill while they wait for Galt's economic plan.
(b) More businesses are closing and more great minds are disappearing.
(c) The people who had disappeared return to help Galt.
(d) The people in Atlantis decide to assassinate Galt before he tells everything.
4. What happens to all the South American d'Anconia Copper Mines immediately after they are nationalized by the various governments?
(a) The are blown up and the top management disappears.
(b) The US government realizes it will now have to pay more for copper.
(c) The mines all prove to be worthless and used up.
(d) The price of copper jumps to an all time high.
5. How does Dagny locate John Galt?
(a) She whistles Halley's Fifth Concerto and he answers her.
(b) She gets help from the police.
(c) She finds his name and address on her payroll account.
(d) She tells a foreman to bring him to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. In being true to herself, Dagny still does not get what Francisco has been trying to tell her. What analogy does Francisco make that Dagny misses?
2. Why does the siege represent a "Concerto of Deliverance"?
3. Why does James Taggart insist that Rearden will always produce, even if he doesn't like the conditions?
4. What does Dagny's insistence on working as housemaid for John Galt say about her.
5. When Kellogg gives Dagny a cigarette marked with the $ sign, why does he give her an entire pack of the cigarettes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how differently Dagny and Cherryl work to get out of an unacceptable situation.
2. Describe the meeting between John Galt and Dr. Stadler.
3. Explain the significance of the $ sign on the cigarettes.
4. Dagny sees the wheels of her railroad cars as being symbolic of something she and Hank continue to fight for. Explain.
5. Summarize the message John Galt gives to the people when he takes control of the radio frequency.
6. As they take their leave, the city of New York disappears as they fly over. Explain the significance of that.
7. Discuss the fact that Dagny refuses to take money from John Galt unless she works for it.
8. As the Cuffy Meigs of the world gain control and the country is rapidly deteriorating, how does James Taggart view his personal situation?
9. When Francisco comes to visit Dagny in the cabin near Woodstock, what idea does she have about the disappearance of so many business people?
10. What happens in the valley that indicates that Dagny is not yet ready to drop out and join everyone there?
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)