|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to visit the dejected Dagny at her cabin near Woodstock?
2. What is the doctrine Galt says is used to keep otherwise rational people in line?
(b) Might makes right
3. In the former hotel suite of Francisco d'Anconia, what is the subtle meaning of that location when Rearden meets Mouch and the "Washington boys"?
(a) It shows high regard for Francisco and all he stands for.
(b) It shames Rearden because he can no longer afford such luxury.
(c) It demonstrates the equality of the bosses and the people.
(d) In a socialist society, those in power do not give up luxuries.
4. What will be the only way Dagny can return to the valley?
(a) James Taggart will have to be eliminated.
(b) She can return only if Hank decides to come with her.
(c) John Galt, her last key before the door closes forever.
(d) She will have to crash her plane again.
5. How does Dagny deal with the failure of communications on the Taggart Transcontinental when copper wire breaks and cannot be quickly replaced?
(a) She stops all trains until the lines can be repaired.
(b) She turns the problem over to Cuffy Meigs.
(c) She reverts to manual switching and lantern signals.
(d) She goes to James to find out what to do.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does James Taggart demonstrate his disdain for money?
2. What revelation does Eddie Willers get when he hears the radio broadcast?
3. What message on the city calendar marquee made Rearden laugh out loud?
4. How does Hank protect Danneskjtzld when the police arrive?
5. How does Dagny let it be known that she is back after her plane crashed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the message John Galt gives to the people when he takes control of the radio frequency.
2. What happens when Washington politician Kip Chalmers insists that the stalled Comet go on through a dangerous tunnel because he has a speaking appointment in San Francisco.
3. Francisco shows up to deliver Hank when an angry mod attacks his Rearden Metal plant. Why is this a turning point for Hank Rearden?
4. Eddie Willers is left alone with the last train broken down in the desert. How does Rand portray the result of the communist rule?
5. Discuss the implication of Project X as it relates to the communist society that builds it.
6. Describe some of the regulations under Directive 10-289.
7. What dramatic change takes place in the character of Cherryl Taggart? Explain.
8. Describe the first meeting between Hank Rearden and Ragnar Danneskjtzld.
9. After her plane crash, Dagny wakes up in the valley that Rand compares to Atlantis, a lost continent. What does she then realize?
10. Describe the meeting between John Galt and Dr. Stadler.
This section contains 1,228 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)