|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Hank Rearden disappears, what special favor is granted Dagny by the citizens of "Atlantis"?
(a) They give her another invitation to join them.
(b) They tell her where she can find John Galt.
(c) They allow her to receive a message from Hank.
(d) They allow her to tell everyone where Hank has gone.
2. Why does Cherryl go to visit Dagny?
(a) To accuse her of destroying James.
(b) To ask if she can stay there for the night.
(c) To apologize for what she said on her wedding day.
(d) To borrow money so she can leave James.
3. On a radio program what does Dagny say that causes the program to go suddenly off the air?
(a) She tells how government blackmail over her affair with Hank caused him to sign over Rearden Metal.
(b) She says that Hank's signature on the gift of Rearden Metal was forged.
(c) She says that Lillian was having an affair with Wesley Mouch.
(d) She says that Business Unification was responsible for blowing up Wyatt oil fields.
4. What is the contrast between Dagny's response to the socialistic society and Cherryl's?
(a) Cherryl understands everything, but Dagny is confused.
(b) Dagny gives up but Cherryl makes James Taggart suffer.
(c) Dagny fights, but Cherryl commits suicide.
(d) Cherryl resigns herself to poverty but Dagny finds ways of making more money.
5. Why does Lillian come to see James Taggart?
(a) Lillian wants to find out more dirt on Dagny.
(b) She thinks he is a handsome, desirable man.
(c) Lillian wants to get rid of Cherryl because she is so common.
(d) She thinks he is powerful enough to stop Hank from divorcing her.
Short Answer Questions
1. while John Galt is being held in a plush hotel suite, what is happening in the country?
2. What is the coincidence of Dagny stopping the conductor from throwing a vagrant off the train she is taking to see Quentin Daniels?
3. How does Dagny now realize that the government had used her, Rearden, and other industrialists?
4. What is Hank's reaction when he discovers Francisco in Dagny's apartment?
5. When Kellogg gives Dagny a cigarette marked with the $ sign, why does he give her an entire pack of the cigarettes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the meeting between John Galt and Dr. Stadler.
2. How does Dr. Ferris get Hank Rearden to sign over Rearden Metal to the government?
3. How does Rand now make it plain that Eddie Willer's cafeteria friend has been using him to spy on Dagny?
4. What dramatic change takes place in the character of Cherryl Taggart? Explain.
5. Describe how differently Dagny and Cherryl work to get out of an unacceptable situation.
6. As the Cuffy Meigs of the world gain control and the country is rapidly deteriorating, how does James Taggart view his personal situation?
7. When Francisco comes to visit Dagny in the cabin near Woodstock, what idea does she have about the disappearance of so many business people?
8. Discuss the fact that Dagny refuses to take money from John Galt unless she works for it.
9. Eddie Willers is left alone with the last train broken down in the desert. How does Rand portray the result of the communist rule?
10. What kind of assurance does Francisco try to give Dagny when he visits her in her apartment?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)