|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the last thing passengers see on Kip Chalmers' train as they enter the tunnel?
(a) The wreck of another train
(b) Wyatt's Torch
(c) Dagny standing by the tracks
(d) The blue Rearden Metal rails
2. When Dagny, Hank, Francisco and Ragnar storm the Project F building, what indicates that Ragnar's reputation has preceded him?
(a) The guards are not afraid of the others even though they have guns.
(b) When he gives them his name, the guards moan.
(c) The guards recognize him from newspaper photos.
(d) The guards all want his autograph when they find out who he is.
3. What is the contrast between Dagny's response to the socialistic society and Cherryl's?
(a) Dagny fights, but Cherryl commits suicide.
(b) Dagny gives up but Cherryl makes James Taggart suffer.
(c) Cherryl understands everything, but Dagny is confused.
(d) Cherryl resigns herself to poverty but Dagny finds ways of making more money.
4. What is the coincidence of Dagny stopping the conductor from throwing a vagrant off the train she is taking to see Quentin Daniels?
(a) He could finish the work Quentin Daniels had started.
(b) He knew how to operate a train.
(c) The man, Jeff Allen, once worked at Twentieth Century Motors.
(d) He turned out to be John Galt.
5. Hank realizes that their affair is over. What ended it?
(a) Dagny can no longer let Hank cheat on Lillian.
(b) Dagny has fallen in love with John Galt.
(c) Dagny is infatuated with Ragnar Danneskjtzld.
(d) Dagny wants to return to Francisco now that she understands him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does Dagny make before she returns to the outside world?
2. Dagny wants to build a narrow gauge railroad in the valley and then changes her mind. Why?
3. Who is the owner of the valley?
4. What happens to all the South American d'Anconia Copper Mines immediately after they are nationalized by the various governments?
5. Why does Cherryl go to visit Dagny?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dr. Ferris get Hank Rearden to sign over Rearden Metal to the government?
2. Discuss the fact that Dagny refuses to take money from John Galt unless she works for it.
3. After her plane crash, Dagny wakes up in the valley that Rand compares to Atlantis, a lost continent. What does she then realize?
4. Discuss Francisco's parting message to the world before he, too, disappears.
5. After they capture John Galt, explain why his life is not in immediate danger.
6. Describe how differently Dagny and Cherryl work to get out of an unacceptable situation.
7. Discuss the implication of Project X as it relates to the communist society that builds it.
8. When Francisco comes to visit Dagny in the cabin near Woodstock, what idea does she have about the disappearance of so many business people?
9. Describe the invitation John Galt gives before he leaves the air.
10. What happens when Washington politician Kip Chalmers insists that the stalled Comet go on through a dangerous tunnel because he has a speaking appointment in San Francisco.
This section contains 1,218 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)