|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lillian come to see James Taggart?
(a) She thinks he is a handsome, desirable man.
(b) Lillian wants to get rid of Cherryl because she is so common.
(c) Lillian wants to find out more dirt on Dagny.
(d) She thinks he is powerful enough to stop Hank from divorcing her.
2. What does Dagny's insistence on working as housemaid for John Galt say about her.
(a) It describes her work ethic.
(b) It shows that she has little self-esteem.
(c) It is a ploy to keep them from sending her away.
(d) It indicates that she wants to escape the valley.
3. Why does James Taggart insist that Rearden will always produce, even if he doesn't like the conditions?
(a) Because he would be bored if he did nothing.
(b) Because he will want to keep on helping Dagny.
(c) Because producing is in his blood.
(d) Because he always caves in.
4. while John Galt is being held in a plush hotel suite, what is happening in the country?
(a) Everything comes to a standstill while they wait for Galt's economic plan.
(b) More businesses are closing and more great minds are disappearing.
(c) The people who had disappeared return to help Galt.
(d) The people in Atlantis decide to assassinate Galt before he tells everything.
5. What is the symbolism of the explosion in the Colorado tunnel?
(a) It marks the end of the Unification Board.
(b) It represents the poor quality goods industrialists offer out of greed.
(c) It is what happens when logic and reason are abandoned for political expediency.
(d) It represents the end of an era.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Hank Rearden disappears, what special favor is granted Dagny by the citizens of "Atlantis"?
2. Why does Cherryl go to visit Dagny?
3. What happens to a radio broadcast planned for the Head of State?
4. The communistic government wanted people to sacrifice their minds and products for the good of society. How is John Galt more honorable?
5. How does Hank protect Danneskjtzld when the police arrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dagny sees the wheels of her railroad cars as being symbolic of something she and Hank continue to fight for. Explain.
2. Discuss the events as Stadler finds them at Project X.
3. What happens when Washington politician Kip Chalmers insists that the stalled Comet go on through a dangerous tunnel because he has a speaking appointment in San Francisco.
4. How does Rand now make it plain that Eddie Willer's cafeteria friend has been using him to spy on Dagny?
5. Describe the meeting between John Galt and Dr. Stadler.
6. Describe some of the regulations under Directive 10-289.
7. Francisco shows up to deliver Hank when an angry mod attacks his Rearden Metal plant. Why is this a turning point for Hank Rearden?
8. Explain the significance of the $ sign on the cigarettes.
9. Discuss Francisco's parting message to the world before he, too, disappears.
10. When does Dagny finally take the oath of the followers of John Galt?
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)