|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What becomes of James Taggart?
(a) He has a chage of heart and rushes to release Galt.
(b) He is reduced to base hate and eventually collapses and dies.
(c) He realizes that he has been wrong all of his life.
(d) He gets sick and runs out of the room.
2. How does Dr. Ferris get Hank Rearden to sign over Rearden Metal to the government?
(a) By promising him that he can continue to run the company.
(b) By convincing him it is the right thing to do.
(c) By threatening to expose his affair with Dagny.
(d) By holding Lillian hostage.
3. What does Dagny's insistence on working as housemaid for John Galt say about her.
(a) It describes her work ethic.
(b) It shows that she has little self-esteem.
(c) It indicates that she wants to escape the valley.
(d) It is a ploy to keep them from sending her away.
4. What happens to all the South American d'Anconia Copper Mines immediately after they are nationalized by the various governments?
(a) The mines all prove to be worthless and used up.
(b) The US government realizes it will now have to pay more for copper.
(c) The are blown up and the top management disappears.
(d) The price of copper jumps to an all time high.
5. What happens to a radio broadcast planned for the Head of State?
(a) Dagny agrees to be a part of the broadcast.
(b) The radio broadcast explains why everything is happening for the good of the people.
(c) John Galt takes over the broadcast to tell the world what has happened to the disappeared thinkers and producers.
(d) John Galt jams their broadcast so that the air is completely dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. What conflict does Rand set up within the character of Dagny Taggart?
2. What crisis brings Rearden before the Unification Board?
3. while John Galt is being held in a plush hotel suite, what is happening in the country?
4. How does Rand make it clear that Eddie's mysterious cafeteria friend is the illusive John Galt?
5. How do the police finally locate John Galt?
Short Essay Questions
1. After her return, Dagny is invited to speak on national radio. Describe her appearance on the show.
2. Summarize the message John Galt gives to the people when he takes control of the radio frequency.
3. What kind of assurance does Francisco try to give Dagny when he visits her in her apartment?
4. What happens in the valley that indicates that Dagny is not yet ready to drop out and join everyone there?
5. When Francisco comes to visit Dagny in the cabin near Woodstock, what idea does she have about the disappearance of so many business people?
6. As they take their leave, the city of New York disappears as they fly over. Explain the significance of that.
7. Dagny sees the wheels of her railroad cars as being symbolic of something she and Hank continue to fight for. Explain.
8. How does Dr. Ferris get Hank Rearden to sign over Rearden Metal to the government?
9. As the Cuffy Meigs of the world gain control and the country is rapidly deteriorating, how does James Taggart view his personal situation?
10. After her plane crash, Dagny wakes up in the valley that Rand compares to Atlantis, a lost continent. What does she then realize?
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)