|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Rearden is knocked unconscious and comes to, who does he discover were helping to fight off the siege?
(a) John Galt and Ragnar Danneskjtzld
(b) Phillip Rearden and Orren boyle
(c) Frank Adams and Francisco d'Anconia
(d) Jim Taggart and Wesley Mouch
2. What is the name of the regulation that effectively kills all creativity in business?
(a) The Transcontinental Act
(b) The Business Licensing Act
(c) The Patents and Copyrights Act
(d) Directive 10-289
3. How does Dagny let it be known that she is back after her plane crashed?
(a) She takes out an ad in the New York papers.
(b) She goes on the radio to announce that she is all right.
(c) She fakes a plane crash in Nebraska.
(d) She notifies the press in Nebraska.
4. Who flies over the valley looking for Dagny but cannot see the community below?
(a) Phillip Rearden
(b) Hank Rearden
(c) Jim Taggart
(d) Eddie Willers
5. What is the symbolism of the explosion in the Colorado tunnel?
(a) It represents the end of an era.
(b) It represents the poor quality goods industrialists offer out of greed.
(c) It marks the end of the Unification Board.
(d) It is what happens when logic and reason are abandoned for political expediency.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the significance of John Galt's transmitter that can block anything the government has?
2. What crisis brings Rearden before the Unification Board?
3. When the east bound Comet stalls in the desert, how are the passengers taken away?
4. How does Dagny deal with the failure of communications on the Taggart Transcontinental when copper wire breaks and cannot be quickly replaced?
5. What was John Galt's connection to Twentieth Century Motors?
Short Essay Questions
1. As they take their leave, the city of New York disappears as they fly over. Explain the significance of that.
2. Summarize the message John Galt gives to the people when he takes control of the radio frequency.
3. After her return, Dagny is invited to speak on national radio. Describe her appearance on the show.
4. Discuss the events as Stadler finds them at Project X.
5. What happens when Washington politician Kip Chalmers insists that the stalled Comet go on through a dangerous tunnel because he has a speaking appointment in San Francisco.
6. Dagny sees the wheels of her railroad cars as being symbolic of something she and Hank continue to fight for. Explain.
7. Discuss the implication of Project X as it relates to the communist society that builds it.
8. How does Rand now make it plain that Eddie Willer's cafeteria friend has been using him to spy on Dagny?
9. When does Dagny finally take the oath of the followers of John Galt?
10. As the Cuffy Meigs of the world gain control and the country is rapidly deteriorating, how does James Taggart view his personal situation?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)