|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On a radio program what does Dagny say that causes the program to go suddenly off the air?
(a) She tells how government blackmail over her affair with Hank caused him to sign over Rearden Metal.
(b) She says that Business Unification was responsible for blowing up Wyatt oil fields.
(c) She says that Lillian was having an affair with Wesley Mouch.
(d) She says that Hank's signature on the gift of Rearden Metal was forged.
2. Why does Cherryl go to visit Dagny?
(a) To apologize for what she said on her wedding day.
(b) To borrow money so she can leave James.
(c) To ask if she can stay there for the night.
(d) To accuse her of destroying James.
3. What is the contrast between Dagny's response to the socialistic society and Cherryl's?
(a) Dagny gives up but Cherryl makes James Taggart suffer.
(b) Dagny fights, but Cherryl commits suicide.
(c) Cherryl resigns herself to poverty but Dagny finds ways of making more money.
(d) Cherryl understands everything, but Dagny is confused.
4. What does the Head of State Thompson want from Galt?
(a) He wants Galt to leave thecountry and never return.
(b) He wants Galt to give the government his radio technology.
(c) He wants Galt to tell him how to fix the economy.
(d) He wants Galt to be his Vice-President.
5. After Francisco leaves her apartment, what does Dagny finally admit to Rearden?
(a) That she was returning to Taggart Transcontinental.
(b) That he needed to go back to Lillian.
(c) That Francisco was her first lover.
(d) That she could no longer see him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What conflict does Rand set up within the character of Dagny Taggart?
2. Who is playing the piano at John Galt's house?
3. How does Dagny locate John Galt?
4. How does James Taggart demonstrate his disdain for money?
5. What is the symbolism of the gold $ sign on the cigarettes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the significance of the $ sign on the cigarettes.
2. Describe the invitation John Galt gives before he leaves the air.
3. As the world economy crumbles, describe the condition of Hank's family.
4. Dagny sees the wheels of her railroad cars as being symbolic of something she and Hank continue to fight for. Explain.
5. Francisco shows up to deliver Hank when an angry mod attacks his Rearden Metal plant. Why is this a turning point for Hank Rearden?
6. After her return, Dagny is invited to speak on national radio. Describe her appearance on the show.
7. After they capture John Galt, explain why his life is not in immediate danger.
8. Describe Dagny's reaction when Danagger says to her, "Well, done, Dagny."
9. What happens when Washington politician Kip Chalmers insists that the stalled Comet go on through a dangerous tunnel because he has a speaking appointment in San Francisco.
10. What kind of assurance does Francisco try to give Dagny when he visits her in her apartment?
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)