|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the last thing passengers see on Kip Chalmers' train as they enter the tunnel?
(a) Wyatt's Torch
(b) The wreck of another train
(c) The blue Rearden Metal rails
(d) Dagny standing by the tracks
2. What is happening to trains everywhere in the nation?
(a) They stop running because of fear after the tunnel wreck.
(b) They all derail.
(c) They run out of coal.
(d) They are abandoned and the crews vanish.
3. What does the Head of State Thompson want from Galt?
(a) He wants Galt to leave thecountry and never return.
(b) He wants Galt to tell him how to fix the economy.
(c) He wants Galt to be his Vice-President.
(d) He wants Galt to give the government his radio technology.
4. How does James Taggart demonstrate his disdain for money?
(a) He burns his money in the fireplace.
(b) He buys Cherryl an improbably large diamond.
(c) He gives a hundred dollar bill to a beggar.
(d) He gives his money to Lillian.
5. Hank realizes that their affair is over. What ended it?
(a) Dagny can no longer let Hank cheat on Lillian.
(b) Dagny has fallen in love with John Galt.
(c) Dagny is infatuated with Ragnar Danneskjtzld.
(d) Dagny wants to return to Francisco now that she understands him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Hank know that their affair was over before Dagny told him.
2. What revelation does Eddie Willers get when he hears the radio broadcast?
3. What does Hank find when he returns to Rearden Metal plant?
4. What is the name of the regulation that effectively kills all creativity in business?
5. What will be the only way Dagny can return to the valley?
Short Essay Questions
1. After they capture John Galt, explain why his life is not in immediate danger.
2. Describe the meeting between John Galt and Dr. Stadler.
3. What dramatic change takes place in the character of Cherryl Taggart? Explain.
4. Describe how differently Dagny and Cherryl work to get out of an unacceptable situation.
5. After her plane crash, Dagny wakes up in the valley that Rand compares to Atlantis, a lost continent. What does she then realize?
6. Describe Dagny's reaction when Danagger says to her, "Well, done, Dagny."
7. What happens when Washington politician Kip Chalmers insists that the stalled Comet go on through a dangerous tunnel because he has a speaking appointment in San Francisco.
8. What kind of assurance does Francisco try to give Dagny when he visits her in her apartment?
9. Eddie Willers is left alone with the last train broken down in the desert. How does Rand portray the result of the communist rule?
10. Discuss Francisco's parting message to the world before he, too, disappears.
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)