|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is happening to trains everywhere in the nation?
(a) They stop running because of fear after the tunnel wreck.
(b) They all derail.
(c) They are abandoned and the crews vanish.
(d) They run out of coal.
2. Why does James Taggart insist that Rearden will always produce, even if he doesn't like the conditions?
(a) Because producing is in his blood.
(b) Because he would be bored if he did nothing.
(c) Because he always caves in.
(d) Because he will want to keep on helping Dagny.
3. What, according to Rand, is worse than taking someone's life?
(a) Refusing to help the poor.
(b) Working only for the joy of creation and invention.
(c) Taking someone's life's work.
(d) Having an affair with a married person.
4. Why are there only half enough freight cars to ship the Minnesota wheat crop to the East coast?
(a) Meigs has sent the other 7,000 cars to pick up swamp soybeans in Louisiana.
(b) All the other cars have fallen apart.
(c) Many of the freight cars have been converted into passenger cars.
(d) The wheat crop is not really important because there is enough wheat in the East already.
5. Why does the siege represent a "Concerto of Deliverance"?
(a) After this, Rearden will regain control of his business.
(b) It marks Hanks deliverance from Lillian and Phillip.
(c) It marks the final movement when Francisco can tell everyting to Hank Rearden.
(d) It suggest the theme of delivering Rearden Steel to the workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crisis brings Rearden before the Unification Board?
2. What does James Taggart say that indicates he realizes the seriousness of the situation with the Unification Board?
3. What revelation does Eddie Willers get when he hears the radio broadcast?
4. As they were flying away with John Galt, why did Galt tell Dagny not to look down?
5. Who flies over the valley looking for Dagny but cannot see the community below?
Short Essay Questions
1. Francisco shows up to deliver Hank when an angry mod attacks his Rearden Metal plant. Why is this a turning point for Hank Rearden?
2. When does Dagny finally take the oath of the followers of John Galt?
3. Describe Dagny's reaction when Danagger says to her, "Well, done, Dagny."
4. Eddie Willers is left alone with the last train broken down in the desert. How does Rand portray the result of the communist rule?
5. What dramatic change takes place in the character of Cherryl Taggart? Explain.
6. What happens when Washington politician Kip Chalmers insists that the stalled Comet go on through a dangerous tunnel because he has a speaking appointment in San Francisco.
7. Explain the significance of the $ sign on the cigarettes.
8. Describe the invitation John Galt gives before he leaves the air.
9. Discuss Francisco's parting message to the world before he, too, disappears.
10. Dagny sees the wheels of her railroad cars as being symbolic of something she and Hank continue to fight for. Explain.
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)