|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are there only half enough freight cars to ship the Minnesota wheat crop to the East coast?
(a) All the other cars have fallen apart.
(b) The wheat crop is not really important because there is enough wheat in the East already.
(c) Many of the freight cars have been converted into passenger cars.
(d) Meigs has sent the other 7,000 cars to pick up swamp soybeans in Louisiana.
2. when Dagny comes to after her plane crashes in the Colorado mountains, who is the first person she sees?
(a) John Galt
(b) Francisco d'Anconia
(c) Hank Rearden
(d) Quentin Daniels
3. What is the symbolism of the explosion in the Colorado tunnel?
(a) It represents the poor quality goods industrialists offer out of greed.
(b) It marks the end of the Unification Board.
(c) It is what happens when logic and reason are abandoned for political expediency.
(d) It represents the end of an era.
4. After Francisco leaves her apartment, what does Dagny finally admit to Rearden?
(a) That he needed to go back to Lillian.
(b) That she could no longer see him.
(c) That she was returning to Taggart Transcontinental.
(d) That Francisco was her first lover.
5. How does Dagny let it be known that she is back after her plane crashed?
(a) She fakes a plane crash in Nebraska.
(b) She goes on the radio to announce that she is all right.
(c) She takes out an ad in the New York papers.
(d) She notifies the press in Nebraska.
Short Answer Questions
1. On a radio program what does Dagny say that causes the program to go suddenly off the air?
2. John Galt is strapped naked to a table with electrodes attached to various parts of his body. What does that symbolize?
3. What does Danneskjtzld leave behind when he disappears into the darkness?
4. How does James Taggart demonstrate his disdain for money?
5. What does James Taggart say that indicates he realizes the seriousness of the situation with the Unification Board?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Francisco comes to visit Dagny in the cabin near Woodstock, what idea does she have about the disappearance of so many business people?
2. Describe the first meeting between Hank Rearden and Ragnar Danneskjtzld.
3. Eddie Willers is left alone with the last train broken down in the desert. How does Rand portray the result of the communist rule?
4. After her return, Dagny is invited to speak on national radio. Describe her appearance on the show.
5. Describe the revelation Dagny gets from the vagrant worker she invited to dinner on the train.
6. After they capture John Galt, explain why his life is not in immediate danger.
7. Dagny sees the wheels of her railroad cars as being symbolic of something she and Hank continue to fight for. Explain.
8. Discuss Francisco's parting message to the world before he, too, disappears.
9. What kind of assurance does Francisco try to give Dagny when he visits her in her apartment?
10. Francisco shows up to deliver Hank when an angry mod attacks his Rearden Metal plant. Why is this a turning point for Hank Rearden?
This section contains 1,281 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)