|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How has Cherryl changed from the dime store clerk James married?
(a) She is no longer innocent but plays the part of a shop girl to fool society.
(b) Now she has risen in poise and social stature.
(c) she has learned how to get more and more money out of James.
(d) She has even less of an idea about things than she did when they married.
2. Why are there only half enough freight cars to ship the Minnesota wheat crop to the East coast?
(a) All the other cars have fallen apart.
(b) Meigs has sent the other 7,000 cars to pick up swamp soybeans in Louisiana.
(c) Many of the freight cars have been converted into passenger cars.
(d) The wheat crop is not really important because there is enough wheat in the East already.
3. Where does Hank finally meet up with Danneskjtzld?
(a) In Dagny's cabin.
(b) In the ruins of Rearden Metal.
(c) At his apartment in the city.
(d) On his walk at night.
4. How does Rand use the history of Twentieth Century Motors to define communism?
(a) Plants under government controll never fail.
(b) When everyone had everything in common, the plant flourished.
(c) When all motivation was taken away, no one wanted to work.
(d) When capitalism ceases to be, everyone is happier.
5. What is the contrast between Dagny's response to the socialistic society and Cherryl's?
(a) Dagny gives up but Cherryl makes James Taggart suffer.
(b) Cherryl understands everything, but Dagny is confused.
(c) Dagny fights, but Cherryl commits suicide.
(d) Cherryl resigns herself to poverty but Dagny finds ways of making more money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hank realizes that their affair is over. What ended it?
2. Who flies over the valley looking for Dagny but cannot see the community below?
3. What will be the only way Dagny can return to the valley?
4. What does Danneskjtzld leave behind when he disappears into the darkness?
5. Danneskjtzld contrasts himself with what legendary hero?
Short Essay Questions
1. After her plane crash, Dagny wakes up in the valley that Rand compares to Atlantis, a lost continent. What does she then realize?
2. When does Dagny finally take the oath of the followers of John Galt?
3. As the world economy crumbles, describe the condition of Hank's family.
4. How does Dr. Ferris get Hank Rearden to sign over Rearden Metal to the government?
5. What dramatic change takes place in the character of Cherryl Taggart? Explain.
6. Explain the significance of the $ sign on the cigarettes.
7. Discuss the implication of Project X as it relates to the communist society that builds it.
8. Describe the meeting between John Galt and Dr. Stadler.
9. Describe the revelation Dagny gets from the vagrant worker she invited to dinner on the train.
10. Dagny sees the wheels of her railroad cars as being symbolic of something she and Hank continue to fight for. Explain.
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)