|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hank find when he returns to Rearden Metal plant?
(a) It is in a stage of siege.
(b) Phillip is there trying to run the company.
(c) All is quite.
(d) The Wet Nurse is there waiting for him.
2. How has Cherryl changed from the dime store clerk James married?
(a) Now she has risen in poise and social stature.
(b) She is no longer innocent but plays the part of a shop girl to fool society.
(c) she has learned how to get more and more money out of James.
(d) She has even less of an idea about things than she did when they married.
3. On a radio program what does Dagny say that causes the program to go suddenly off the air?
(a) She says that Hank's signature on the gift of Rearden Metal was forged.
(b) She says that Business Unification was responsible for blowing up Wyatt oil fields.
(c) She tells how government blackmail over her affair with Hank caused him to sign over Rearden Metal.
(d) She says that Lillian was having an affair with Wesley Mouch.
4. Who is the owner of the valley?
(a) John Galt
(b) Dr. Hendricks
(c) Midas Mulligan
(d) Francisco d'Anconia
5. What is the symbolism of the gold $ sign on the cigarettes?
(a) It is reall a capital U overlaid with a capital S in gold to remind users of US capitalism.
(b) It is a secret mark that designates a revolutionary war to come.
(c) It predicts the high cost of cigarettes in the future.
(d) It is a symbol of how expensive cigarettes become under communism.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ultimately, what is the only light remaining on the earth outside of Atlantis?
2. Where does Hank finally meet up with Danneskjtzld?
3. What message on the city calendar marquee made Rearden laugh out loud?
4. What crisis brings Rearden before the Unification Board?
5. How does Rand make a strong argument against incompetence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of the regulations under Directive 10-289.
2. Describe the invitation John Galt gives before he leaves the air.
3. After her plane crash, Dagny wakes up in the valley that Rand compares to Atlantis, a lost continent. What does she then realize?
4. As the Cuffy Meigs of the world gain control and the country is rapidly deteriorating, how does James Taggart view his personal situation?
5. When Francisco comes to visit Dagny in the cabin near Woodstock, what idea does she have about the disappearance of so many business people?
6. Discuss the fact that Dagny refuses to take money from John Galt unless she works for it.
7. What happens in the valley that indicates that Dagny is not yet ready to drop out and join everyone there?
8. How does Dr. Ferris get Hank Rearden to sign over Rearden Metal to the government?
9. As the world economy crumbles, describe the condition of Hank's family.
10. Explain the significance of the $ sign on the cigarettes.
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)