|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Unification Board is now in complete control and more regulations are passed. What is the result?
(a) More businesses and executives disapear.
(b) The government refuses to nationalize businesses to save jobs.
(c) Production on everything increases.
(d) People now have more money to spend.
2. The communistic government wanted people to sacrifice their minds and products for the good of society. How is John Galt more honorable?
(a) He does not believe sacrifice is necessary.
(b) Galt is willing to sacrifice his life for the good of society.
(c) He believes the disappearing executives are wrong.
(d) He thinks if people are allowed to create, they don't care about money.
3. What message on the city calendar marquee made Rearden laugh out loud?
(a) Brother, you asked for it! Francisco Domingo Carlos Andres Sebastian d'Anconia.
(b) Wanted: Someone who knows how to run a steel plant.
(c) We declare a four day work week starting immediately.
(d) We know who John Galt is.
4. What revelation does Eddie Willers get when he hears the radio broadcast?
(a) He understands why he will marry Dagny.
(b) He discovers that James Taggart has been leading a double life.
(c) He realizes that Dagny has been wrong all the time.
(d) He suddenly knows who his friend in the cafeteria was.
5. What has happened to Dagny during the time that John Galt was recaptured and taken away?
(a) She offers to tell everything she knows in exchange for John's life.
(b) She decides to join the others at Atlantis.
(c) She jumps to her death out of her apartment window.
(d) She gets a gun and goes looking for Eddie Willers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the music heard in the valley as the industrial "strikers" arrive?
2. What is Hank's reaction when he discovers Francisco in Dagny's apartment?
3. What becomes of James Taggart?
4. In the former hotel suite of Francisco d'Anconia, what is the subtle meaning of that location when Rearden meets Mouch and the "Washington boys"?
5. How does Dagny deal with the failure of communications on the Taggart Transcontinental when copper wire breaks and cannot be quickly replaced?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Dagny finally take the oath of the followers of John Galt?
2. What happens when Washington politician Kip Chalmers insists that the stalled Comet go on through a dangerous tunnel because he has a speaking appointment in San Francisco.
3. What dramatic change takes place in the character of Cherryl Taggart? Explain.
4. Discuss the implication of Project X as it relates to the communist society that builds it.
5. Explain the significance of the $ sign on the cigarettes.
6. After her return, Dagny is invited to speak on national radio. Describe her appearance on the show.
7. Eddie Willers is left alone with the last train broken down in the desert. How does Rand portray the result of the communist rule?
8. Describe how differently Dagny and Cherryl work to get out of an unacceptable situation.
9. After her plane crash, Dagny wakes up in the valley that Rand compares to Atlantis, a lost continent. What does she then realize?
10. As the world economy crumbles, describe the condition of Hank's family.
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)