|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hank's reaction when he discovers Francisco in Dagny's apartment?
(a) He is afraid that Francisco will discover their affair.
(b) He thinks Francisco is the destroyer.
(c) He is happy because he loves both of them.
(d) He slaps Francisco.
2. How did Hank know that their affair was over before Dagny told him.
(a) During the radio show she had only used past tense.
(b) He heard something different in her voice on the radio.
(c) Francisco sent him a telegram.
(d) John Galt came and told him.
3. What crisis brings Rearden before the Unification Board?
(a) Rearden's refusal to make steel.
(b) The need for Rearden Metal to decrease its production.
(c) A plan to return Rearden Metal to Hank.
(d) The steel workers strike demanding higher wages.
4. What has happened to Dagny during the time that John Galt was recaptured and taken away?
(a) She decides to join the others at Atlantis.
(b) She offers to tell everything she knows in exchange for John's life.
(c) She jumps to her death out of her apartment window.
(d) She gets a gun and goes looking for Eddie Willers.
5. How does Dagny locate John Galt?
(a) She tells a foreman to bring him to her.
(b) She whistles Halley's Fifth Concerto and he answers her.
(c) She finds his name and address on her payroll account.
(d) She gets help from the police.
Short Answer Questions
1. What conflict does Rand set up within the character of Dagny Taggart?
2. When Dagny is held up by the stopped train, how does she continue her way to Colorado?
3. What is the music heard in the valley as the industrial "strikers" arrive?
4. Why are there only half enough freight cars to ship the Minnesota wheat crop to the East coast?
5. Where does Hank finally meet up with Danneskjtzld?
Short Essay Questions
1. After they capture John Galt, explain why his life is not in immediate danger.
2. As the Cuffy Meigs of the world gain control and the country is rapidly deteriorating, how does James Taggart view his personal situation?
3. Summarize the message John Galt gives to the people when he takes control of the radio frequency.
4. As they take their leave, the city of New York disappears as they fly over. Explain the significance of that.
5. Discuss Francisco's parting message to the world before he, too, disappears.
6. Eddie Willers is left alone with the last train broken down in the desert. How does Rand portray the result of the communist rule?
7. Discuss the fact that Dagny refuses to take money from John Galt unless she works for it.
8. What happens in the valley that indicates that Dagny is not yet ready to drop out and join everyone there?
9. Describe how differently Dagny and Cherryl work to get out of an unacceptable situation.
10. What happens when Washington politician Kip Chalmers insists that the stalled Comet go on through a dangerous tunnel because he has a speaking appointment in San Francisco.
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)