|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rand use the party to show the superficiality of the communist guests?
(a) They have not invited any rich industrialists to the party.
(b) They pretend to favor defeat for the the Equalization of Opportunity Bill.
(c) They prefer not to talk about politics.
(d) They are all dressed in their finest and wearing flashy jewelry.
2. What did the National Alliance of Railroads pass to eliminate competition?
(a) Every man for himself Rule
(b) Local and Transcontinental Rule
(c) Anti-cooperation Rule
(d) Anti-dog-eat-dog Rule
3. At home and in despair, what music is Dagny listening to when she puts down her head and cries?
(a) Halley's Fourth Concerto
(b) Halley's opera,
(c) Cry Me a River
(d) Tchaikovski's Symphony Pathetique
4. When Dagny demands to be made Vice President in Charge of Operations, what reason does Jim give her for opposing the idea?
(a) Dagny, you don't know anything about railroads.
(b) Dagny, you're a woman.
(c) Dagny, father never intended for you to work at Taggert.
(d) Dagny, you'll get married and leave.
5. What sarcastic comment does Dagny make to James Taggart and Wesley Mouch?
(a) Which one of you is planning to rob a bank?
(b) What's the point in running a business if there is no profit?
(c) Got what you've been asking for, all these years, gentlemen?
(d) You tell me how to run a train on bad rails.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers to help Dagny solve the problem of the rotting wooden bridge on her Colorado line?
2. How does Rand indicate that Wesley Mouch, Rearden's Washington lobbyist, may not be working in Rearden's interest?
3. What happens after the disappearance of Wyatt and his vast Colorado oil fields?
4. Before Hank Rearden, Dagny has had only one lover. She will not tell Rearden his name. Who was he?
5. What is Rearden's suggestion to Dagny about giving in to the state?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Cherryl confronts Dagny and says that she is now Mrs. Taggart, the woman of the family, Dagny replies, "That's quite all right. I'm the man." Explain what she means by that comment.
2. How does the scene of the broken furnace give Hank insight into Francisco's real character?
3. Lillian demands the Rearden Metal bracelet back and threatens to tell everyone that Dagny is sleeping with her husband. What is the irony of that situation?
4. Explain the conflict within Francisco when he discovers that Rearden had ordered copper from his mines in Argentina.
5. When an agreement is reached that closes the John Galt Line and the Rio Norte Line, what does Francisco mean when he asks Dagny if they had murdered John Galt?
6. Write a few paragraphs on why Hank Rearden does not mind supporting his idle family but refuses to give Phillip a job he is not qualified to handle.
7. Using the example of the Anti-Dog-Eat-Dog rule, explain in a few paragraphs how eliminating competition by legislation destroys productivity.
8. Explain the significance of the mysterious Halley's Fifth Concerto in developing the novel.
9. Dagny sees Hank Rearden as a "man who belongs on earth." Explain why.
10. Describe the meaning and the purpose of "white blackmail."
This section contains 1,237 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)