|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does James Taggart receive that Dagny had predicted?
(a) The Mexican line is out of coal and must burn wood to run the trains.
(b) Rearden refusus to supply metal for any railroad rails.
(c) The US government is nationalizing all industry.
(d) The Mexican Government has nationalized the San Sebastian Mine and the Taggart railroad line
2. Because of the Equity of Distribution Law, there is now a Deputy Director of Distribution handling all of Rearden Metal's orders. What is his nickname?
(a) The Enforcer
(b) The Terminator
(d) The Wet Nurse
3. At the party, James Taggart demands that Francisco explain why the San Sebastian mines are worthless. What is Francisco's ironic reply?
(a) He says the mines are not worthless bacuse they contain silver.
(b) He says he wanted to contribute to the Mexican economy.
(c) He says he gave them the wrong location because he knew what they would do.
(d) He says he gave them the mines to do with as they pleased.
4. Who is the childhood friend of Jim and Dagny who now works for them?
(a) James Ellis Wyatt
(b) Eddie Willers
(c) John Galt
(d) Hank Rearden
5. What does Rearden sell off after the bill banning people from owning multiple businesses is passed?
(a) Copper mines and coal mines
(b) Copper mines and freight companies
(c) Train engines and coal mines
(d) Iron mines and jewelry manufacturing
Short Answer Questions
1. What prevents Taggart Transcontinental from meeting Rearden's deadline for delivering steel?
2. What does Rand mean by the title, "White Blackmail"?
3. What did the National Alliance of Railroads pass to eliminate competition?
4. What does Dagny object to about the San Sebastian Line?
5. A theme that runs throughout ATLAS SHRUGGED is one which shows strength and character outside but emptiness and moral corruption inside. What metaphor does Ayn Rand use to illustrate this idea?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the conflict within Francisco when he discovers that Rearden had ordered copper from his mines in Argentina.
2. At first, Hank Rearden dislikes Francisco d'Anconia. Explain his reasons.
3. As James Taggart and Dagny discuss plans for Taggart Transcontinental, James' attitude sets the stage for the real conflict in ATLAS SHRUGGED. Explain.
4. What is the significance of "the best hamburger" Dagny has ever tasted when she goes to the diner in Wyoming?
5. How does the scene of the broken furnace give Hank insight into Francisco's real character?
6. How does the Twentieth Century Motor Company demonstrate the results of the communistic idea of "from each according to his ability, to each according to his need"?
7. Explain how the mystery of Eddie Willers' unnamed friend in the cafeteria and the shadowy man Dagny sees outside her office add to the suspense of the novel.
8. Briefly explain Dr. Stadler's surprise that the motor Dagny found was being developed in a remote automobile factory.
9. Dagny sees Hank Rearden as a "man who belongs on earth." Explain why.
10. Describe how the chain is viewed by Henry Rearden, Lillian Rearden, and Dagny Taggart. Explain its significance to the story.
This section contains 1,316 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)