|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sarcastic comment does Dagny make to James Taggart and Wesley Mouch?
(a) Which one of you is planning to rob a bank?
(b) What's the point in running a business if there is no profit?
(c) Got what you've been asking for, all these years, gentlemen?
(d) You tell me how to run a train on bad rails.
2. What does Francisco d'Anconia say the socialists will use to replace "the aristocracy of money"?
(a) The aristocracy of influence.
(b) The aristocracy of everyone
(c) The destruction of all aristocracy
(d) The commonality of all men
3. Why are the guests at the party so eager to discuss the capture of Ragnar Danneskjtzld?
(a) Because he has a strange name that they don't trust.
(b) Because he is the only one who can save socialism.
(c) Because he is a pirate who seizes relief supplies intended for communist societies.
(d) Because he is a supporter of the Equalization of Opportunity Bill
4. What prevents Taggart Transcontinental from meeting Rearden's deadline for delivering steel?
(a) The coal miners all go on strike for higher wages.
(b) Danagger Coal cannot supply coal for the trains because its shipment goes to England.
(c) Danagger refuses to supply coal if it will help Rearden.
(d) The bridge on the Galt Line is blown up.
5. How does Rand indicate that Wesley Mouch, Rearden's Washington lobbyist, may not be working in Rearden's interest?
(a) He cannot get in to see the President of the United States.
(b) He is at a meeting with Dagny and Owen Kellogg.
(c) He never goes to his office in Washington.
(d) He is at a meeting with Orren Boyle, James Taggart, and Paul Larkin.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the party, James Taggart demands that Francisco explain why the San Sebastian mines are worthless. What is Francisco's ironic reply?
2. Why will Amalgamated Switch and Signal Company not complete Dagny's order for switches and signals on the Colorado line?
3. What was Francisco's nickname for Dagny when they were children?
4. Why is James Taggart marrying Cherryl Brooks, the dime store clerk?
5. Quentin Daniels is hired to reconstruct the revolutionary motor. What is Quentin's greatest desire.
Short Essay Questions
1. Using the example of the Anti-Dog-Eat-Dog rule, explain in a few paragraphs how eliminating competition by legislation destroys productivity.
2. Rand introduces "Wyatt's Torch" as Dagny returns on the train to Wyatt Junction. What does the term suggest?
3. What is the significance of "the best hamburger" Dagny has ever tasted when she goes to the diner in Wyoming?
4. Discuss the significance of the turnout of Taggart employees and the armed guards every mile along the initial John Galt Line train.
5. At first, Hank Rearden dislikes Francisco d'Anconia. Explain his reasons.
6. How does the scene of the broken furnace give Hank insight into Francisco's real character?
7. Francisco engineers a huge financial fraud on the Mexican government and greedy shareholders like James Taggart and Orren Boyle. Then he asks Dagny, "Who is John Galt?" How does Rand use his character to build suspense?
8. When an agreement is reached that closes the John Galt Line and the Rio Norte Line, what does Francisco mean when he asks Dagny if they had murdered John Galt?
9. Discuss the different views from "the top" and "the bottom."
10. Explain the conflict within Francisco when he discovers that Rearden had ordered copper from his mines in Argentina.
This section contains 1,326 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)