|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the comparison Francisco makes between John Galt and Prometheus?
(a) John Galt is a Prometheus who changed his mind.
(b) John Galt invented fire.
(c) John Galt believes the total end is near for all mankind.
(d) John Galt has been eaten by vultures and is dead.
2. At home and in despair, what music is Dagny listening to when she puts down her head and cries?
(a) Cry Me a River
(b) Halley's opera,
(c) Tchaikovski's Symphony Pathetique
(d) Halley's Fourth Concerto
3. What is the purpose of the party Lillian plans to give in three months?
(a) A celebration of Rearden metal.
(b) Their social obligation to Dagny Taggart.
(c) A fund raiser for underprivileged children.
(d) Their wedding anniversary.
4. How does Dr. Ferris explain to Rearden the many laws that are being passed by the State?
(a) He says that laws that don't work will eventually be repealed.
(b) He says the lawmakers do not really know what they are doing.
(c) He says that Rearden just doesn't understand what the laws are saying.
(d) There is no other way to rule men than to pass laws that cannot be observed, enforced or interpreted
5. How does Rand let the reader know that there is a connection between Francisco and Danneskjtzld?
(a) Francisco's horror when he learns that Rearden ordered d'Anconia copper.
(b) Francisco offers to introduce Rearden to Danneskjtzld.
(c) Francisco tells Rearden that Danneskjtzld is coming to the city.
(d) Francisco does not react when Rearden mentions Danneskjtzld's name.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the government plan to conserve copper and electricity?
2. What is Owen Kellogg's reply to Dagny when she asks him why he is resigning from Taggert Railway?
3. What is "the chain"?
4. What is the real outcome after the court fines Rearden $5,000 and gives him a suspended sentence?
5. Dr. Stadler talks about having known John Galt who he believes is dead. What is his recollection of Galt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the symbolism of Lillian's taking Dagny's diamond bracelet in exchange for the Rearden Metal chain.
2. At first, Hank Rearden dislikes Francisco d'Anconia. Explain his reasons.
3. How does the scene of the broken furnace give Hank insight into Francisco's real character?
4. Discuss the significance of the turnout of Taggart employees and the armed guards every mile along the initial John Galt Line train.
5. As James Taggart and Dagny discuss plans for Taggart Transcontinental, James' attitude sets the stage for the real conflict in ATLAS SHRUGGED. Explain.
6. Briefly explain Dr. Stadler's surprise that the motor Dagny found was being developed in a remote automobile factory.
7. Lillian demands the Rearden Metal bracelet back and threatens to tell everyone that Dagny is sleeping with her husband. What is the irony of that situation?
8. The "Immovable Movers" in Rand's novel are the industrialists like Dagny and Rearden who produce because it is in their blood to do so. They produce for the joy of accomplishment and thus provide for the society as a whole. Rand compares them to the mythical Greek god Atlas who purportedly holds up the world on his shoulders. Explain her conclusions.
9. When Cherryl confronts Dagny and says that she is now Mrs. Taggart, the woman of the family, Dagny replies, "That's quite all right. I'm the man." Explain what she means by that comment.
10. Write a few paragraphs on why Hank Rearden does not mind supporting his idle family but refuses to give Phillip a job he is not qualified to handle.
This section contains 1,367 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)