|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mouch's new job after he resigns as Rearden's Washington lobbyist?
(a) Vice President of Taggart Transcontinental
(b) Assistant Coordinator of the Bureau of Economic Planning and National Resources
(c) Assistant Editor of
(d) Secretary of the Interior
2. Rand uses the failure of Twentieth Century Motors to make what point about socialism?
(a) It is only fair that everyone make the same salary.
(b) The socialist system only takes from those with ability and gives to others who are less deserving.
(c) The socialist system allows the greatest minds to get ahead.
(d) Production increases when everyone shares in the work.
3. At home and in despair, what music is Dagny listening to when she puts down her head and cries?
(a) Halley's Fourth Concerto
(b) Halley's opera,
(c) Tchaikovski's Symphony Pathetique
(d) Cry Me a River
4. What game does Francisco play with the Mexican government and the American stockholders in the San Sebastian Mines?
(a) He knows the mines are worthless and wants to watch them go down with their own greed.
(b) He plays charades but no one can guess his subject.
(c) He plays poker with the Mexican President in a winner-take-all game.
(d) He plays a game of marbles on the hotel room floor.
5. What prevents Taggart Transcontinental from meeting Rearden's deadline for delivering steel?
(a) The bridge on the Galt Line is blown up.
(b) Danagger refuses to supply coal if it will help Rearden.
(c) The coal miners all go on strike for higher wages.
(d) Danagger Coal cannot supply coal for the trains because its shipment goes to England.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the irony of the State Science Institute's demand for 10,000 tons of Rearden Metal?
2. Dr. Stadler talks about having known John Galt who he believes is dead. What is his recollection of Galt?
3. How does Rand indicate that Wesley Mouch, Rearden's Washington lobbyist, may not be working in Rearden's interest?
4. What was Francisco's nickname for Dagny when they were children?
5. What does Rand mean by the title, "White Blackmail"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the significance of the mysterious Halley's Fifth Concerto in developing the novel.
2. Describe how differently Dagny and Cherryl work to get out of an unacceptable situation.
3. Explain how the mystery of Eddie Willers' unnamed friend in the cafeteria and the shadowy man Dagny sees outside her office add to the suspense of the novel.
4. Francisco shows up to deliver Hank when an angry mod attacks his Rearden Metal plant. Why is this a turning point for Hank Rearden?
5. How does Dr. Ferris get Hank Rearden to sign over Rearden Metal to the government?
6. Briefly explain Dr. Stadler's surprise that the motor Dagny found was being developed in a remote automobile factory.
7. When an agreement is reached that closes the John Galt Line and the Rio Norte Line, what does Francisco mean when he asks Dagny if they had murdered John Galt?
8. When does Dagny finally take the oath of the followers of John Galt?
9. As they take their leave, the city of New York disappears as they fly over. Explain the significance of that.
10. Explain the symbolism of the Twentieth Century Motor Company as Dagny and Hank find it.
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)