|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sarcastic comment does Dagny make to James Taggart and Wesley Mouch?
(a) Got what you've been asking for, all these years, gentlemen?
(b) You tell me how to run a train on bad rails.
(c) What's the point in running a business if there is no profit?
(d) Which one of you is planning to rob a bank?
2. What is the symbolism of Francisco lying on the floor with his arms spread out to his sides?
(a) His dream of flying.
(b) Sacrifice for what he believes in.
(c) Making his pain go away.
(d) His confused state of mind.
3. What news does James Taggart receive that Dagny had predicted?
(a) The Mexican line is out of coal and must burn wood to run the trains.
(b) The Mexican Government has nationalized the San Sebastian Mine and the Taggart railroad line
(c) Rearden refusus to supply metal for any railroad rails.
(d) The US government is nationalizing all industry.
4. What is Dagny's reply to Cherryl's comment that she is "the woman in the Taggart family"?
(a) What am I? Chopped liver?
(b) You're welcome to the job.
(c) Don't tell my dress maker.
(d) That's quiet all right. I'm the man.
5. What happens after the disappearance of Wyatt and his vast Colorado oil fields?
(a) Small companies cannot supply enough oil to fill the demand.
(b) Project X provides a new and better fuel.
(c) Mine owners begin blowing up their mines.
(d) The government reopens the Wyatt oil fields and everything gets back to normal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why will Amalgamated Switch and Signal Company not complete Dagny's order for switches and signals on the Colorado line?
2. What is the meaning of "Wyatt's torch"?
3. What is Ayn Rand's objection to majority rule as put forth by the National Alliance of Railroads?
4. A theme that runs throughout ATLAS SHRUGGED is one which shows strength and character outside but emptiness and moral corruption inside. What metaphor does Ayn Rand use to illustrate this idea?
5. What does "the chain" represent to Henry Rearden?
Short Essay Questions
1. The title of the chapter, "The Exploiters and the Exploited" might suggest that the industrialists like Hank Rearden exploit the public by creating products for their own personal gratification. Rand, however, turns that around to suggest that the socialist government are exploiting the industrialists. Support that idea.
2. Describe the meaning and the purpose of "white blackmail."
3. Describe how the chain is viewed by Henry Rearden, Lillian Rearden, and Dagny Taggart. Explain its significance to the story.
4. What is the significance of "the best hamburger" Dagny has ever tasted when she goes to the diner in Wyoming?
5. Explain the significance of the mysterious Halley's Fifth Concerto in developing the novel.
6. Dagny sees Hank Rearden as a "man who belongs on earth." Explain why.
7. When an agreement is reached that closes the John Galt Line and the Rio Norte Line, what does Francisco mean when he asks Dagny if they had murdered John Galt?
8. At first, Hank Rearden dislikes Francisco d'Anconia. Explain his reasons.
9. Lillian demands the Rearden Metal bracelet back and threatens to tell everyone that Dagny is sleeping with her husband. What is the irony of that situation?
10. In the chapter Rand calls "Account Overdrawn," how does the author picture the results of the socialist government's regulations?
This section contains 1,329 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)