|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Hank Rearden, Dagny has had only one lover. She will not tell Rearden his name. Who was he?
(a) Francisco d'Anconia
(b) John Galt
(c) Eddie Willers
(d) Ragnar Danneskjtzld
2. What is the surprising question Francisco poses to Dagny at the wedding reception?
(a) Don't you want to know now: Who is John Galt?
(b) Did you get permission to use John Galt's name on your new railroad line?
(c) Don't you want to tell Lillian about your affair with her husband?
(d) Have you met John Galt?
3. How does Rand use the party to show the superficiality of the communist guests?
(a) They pretend to favor defeat for the the Equalization of Opportunity Bill.
(b) They are all dressed in their finest and wearing flashy jewelry.
(c) They have not invited any rich industrialists to the party.
(d) They prefer not to talk about politics.
4. What is the result of the government's decision to divert coal to the People's Republic of England?
(a) People have to wait for needed food to arrive.
(b) Produce from the West coast is held up for 3 days and everything spoils.
(c) Rearden Metal wins the contract to ship the steel.
(d) Project X has to be put on hold.
5. What is so unusual about the cigarette Dagny gets from Dr. Hugh Akston?
(a) It is rolled in colored paper.
(b) It is marked with a gold dollar sign.
(c) It is made of unusual tobacco.
(d) It cannot be lit.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dagny demands that Francisco tell her why Ellis Wyatt will be wiped out in Colorado, why does he refuse to tell her?
2. Rand uses the failure of Twentieth Century Motors to make what point about socialism?
3. What happens after the disappearance of Wyatt and his vast Colorado oil fields?
4. What is the meaning of "Wyatt's torch"?
5. At the anniversary party, what do Dr. Pritchett, Balph Eubank, and Mort Mort Liddy have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly explain Dr. Stadler's surprise that the motor Dagny found was being developed in a remote automobile factory.
2. When an agreement is reached that closes the John Galt Line and the Rio Norte Line, what does Francisco mean when he asks Dagny if they had murdered John Galt?
3. Explain the symbolism of the Twentieth Century Motor Company as Dagny and Hank find it.
4. At his trial, Hank Rearden refuses to give the government the "sanction of the victim." Explain what he means.
5. Explain how the mystery of Eddie Willers' unnamed friend in the cafeteria and the shadowy man Dagny sees outside her office add to the suspense of the novel.
6. Explain the symbolism of Lillian's taking Dagny's diamond bracelet in exchange for the Rearden Metal chain.
7. In the chapter Rand calls "Account Overdrawn," how does the author picture the results of the socialist government's regulations?
8. How does the scene of the broken furnace give Hank insight into Francisco's real character?
9. Why is the idea of "motive" so important in the novel? Explain in detail.
10. Using the example of the Anti-Dog-Eat-Dog rule, explain in a few paragraphs how eliminating competition by legislation destroys productivity.
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)