|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mouch's new job after he resigns as Rearden's Washington lobbyist?
(a) Vice President of Taggart Transcontinental
(b) Assistant Editor of
(c) Secretary of the Interior
(d) Assistant Coordinator of the Bureau of Economic Planning and National Resources
2. How does the organization, Friends of Global Progress, view Rearden Steel?
(a) That Rearden Steel will be its largest contributor.
(b) That it is an indignificant business that will likely fail.
(c) That Rearden Steel will one day belong to them.
(d) That Rearden represents the blackest element of social retrogression in the country.
3. When Dr. Stadler questions why the man who was developing the revolutionary motor was working in a factory research lab, what is Dagny's reply?
(a) He probably liked living on this earth.
(b) He probably came from somewhere around here.
(c) Maybe he couldn't find another place.
(d) Maybe the Science Institute turned him down.
4. What was Francisco's nickname for Dagny when they were children?
5. Why does Dagny take a leave of absence from her job as Vice President of Operations at Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) To try and localte John Galt.
(b) To get away to Europe for a vacation.
(c) To find Francisco and marry him.
(d) To supervise and finish the John Galt Line.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dagny object to about the San Sebastian Line?
2. Who is planning to build diesel engines for Taggart Transcontinental?
3. Why can Dagny not learn the name of the third student at Patrick Henry University according to Dr. Akston?
4. What is the purpose of the party Lillian plans to give in three months?
5. What is the surprising question Francisco poses to Dagny at the wedding reception?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lillian demands the Rearden Metal bracelet back and threatens to tell everyone that Dagny is sleeping with her husband. What is the irony of that situation?
2. Discuss the significance of the names Rand gives to the businesses in ATLAS SHRUGGED.
3. At his trial, Hank Rearden refuses to give the government the "sanction of the victim." Explain what he means.
4. Briefly explain Dr. Stadler's surprise that the motor Dagny found was being developed in a remote automobile factory.
5. When Cherryl confronts Dagny and says that she is now Mrs. Taggart, the woman of the family, Dagny replies, "That's quite all right. I'm the man." Explain what she means by that comment.
6. Describe how the chain is viewed by Henry Rearden, Lillian Rearden, and Dagny Taggart. Explain its significance to the story.
7. Describe the meaning and the purpose of "white blackmail."
8. As James Taggart and Dagny discuss plans for Taggart Transcontinental, James' attitude sets the stage for the real conflict in ATLAS SHRUGGED. Explain.
9. Explain the symbolism of Lillian's taking Dagny's diamond bracelet in exchange for the Rearden Metal chain.
10. How does the Twentieth Century Motor Company demonstrate the results of the communistic idea of "from each according to his ability, to each according to his need"?
This section contains 1,266 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)