|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dr. Ferris explain to Rearden the many laws that are being passed by the State?
(a) He says that laws that don't work will eventually be repealed.
(b) He says that Rearden just doesn't understand what the laws are saying.
(c) He says the lawmakers do not really know what they are doing.
(d) There is no other way to rule men than to pass laws that cannot be observed, enforced or interpreted
2. What does Dagny object to about the San Sebastian Line?
(a) That the Mexican government will subsidise it.
(b) That it is going to help the communist government.
(c) That it is using Rearden steel rails.
(d) That is was not her idea.
3. Why does Dagny have to wait to get in to see Dannager when she goes to see him before his trial?
(a) Dannager really does not want to see Dagny.
(b) There is a mysterious man in his office.
(c) Dagny came without an appointment.
(d) Dannager blames Dagny for his legal problems.
4. Quentin Daniels is hired to reconstruct the revolutionary motor. What is Quentin's greatest desire.
(a) To meet the man who conceived of the idea of the motor.
(b) To prove the the motor will not work.
(c) To improve the motor.
(d) To create a motor from his own concept.
5. What caused Francisco's ancestor out of Spain to Argentina where he became wealthy as a copper miner?
(a) The Spanish Inquisition.
(b) The French Revolution.
(c) The Spanish Revolution.
(d) The Potato Famine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is almost single handedly responsible for opening up trade in Colorado?
2. Why are the guests at the party so eager to discuss the capture of Ragnar Danneskjtzld?
3. Who is planning to build diesel engines for Taggart Transcontinental?
4. How does Rand use the marriage of James and Cherryl to make her point against social philosophy?
5. Dr. Stadler talks about having known John Galt who he believes is dead. What is his recollection of Galt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the conflict within Francisco when he discovers that Rearden had ordered copper from his mines in Argentina.
2. Discuss the different views from "the top" and "the bottom."
3. Why is the idea of "motive" so important in the novel? Explain in detail.
4. Discuss the significance of the turnout of Taggart employees and the armed guards every mile along the initial John Galt Line train.
5. When Cherryl confronts Dagny and says that she is now Mrs. Taggart, the woman of the family, Dagny replies, "That's quite all right. I'm the man." Explain what she means by that comment.
6. Describe the meaning and the purpose of "white blackmail."
7. Write a few paragraphs on why Hank Rearden does not mind supporting his idle family but refuses to give Phillip a job he is not qualified to handle.
8. As James Taggart and Dagny discuss plans for Taggart Transcontinental, James' attitude sets the stage for the real conflict in ATLAS SHRUGGED. Explain.
9. How does the Twentieth Century Motor Company demonstrate the results of the communistic idea of "from each according to his ability, to each according to his need"?
10. Francisco engineers a huge financial fraud on the Mexican government and greedy shareholders like James Taggart and Orren Boyle. Then he asks Dagny, "Who is John Galt?" How does Rand use his character to build suspense?
This section contains 1,358 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)