|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the guests at the party so eager to discuss the capture of Ragnar Danneskjtzld?
(a) Because he is the only one who can save socialism.
(b) Because he has a strange name that they don't trust.
(c) Because he is a supporter of the Equalization of Opportunity Bill
(d) Because he is a pirate who seizes relief supplies intended for communist societies.
2. What does Rand mean by the title, "White Blackmail"?
(a) A way of getting people to obey the laws and cooperate with the government.
(b) Not really blackmail at all.
(c) A way of manipulating people by passing aws and regulations that the influence peddlers want broken.
(d) Little white lies to get around the laws.
3. How does Rand let the reader know that there is a connection between Francisco and Danneskjtzld?
(a) Francisco offers to introduce Rearden to Danneskjtzld.
(b) Francisco tells Rearden that Danneskjtzld is coming to the city.
(c) Francisco does not react when Rearden mentions Danneskjtzld's name.
(d) Francisco's horror when he learns that Rearden ordered d'Anconia copper.
4. How does Rand indicate that Wesley Mouch, Rearden's Washington lobbyist, may not be working in Rearden's interest?
(a) He is at a meeting with Dagny and Owen Kellogg.
(b) He never goes to his office in Washington.
(c) He cannot get in to see the President of the United States.
(d) He is at a meeting with Orren Boyle, James Taggart, and Paul Larkin.
5. How does Lillian describe the bracelet?
(a) As a unique piece of jewelry that everyone in New York will envy.
(b) As the only gift Hank has ever given her.
(c) As an early anniversary present from Hank.
(d) Something made from the same thing as railroad rails and soup kettles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because of the Equity of Distribution Law, there is now a Deputy Director of Distribution handling all of Rearden Metal's orders. What is his nickname?
2. Based on what she knows at the moment, what conclusion does Dagny draw about the disappearance of men like Wyatt?
3. Quentin Daniels is hired to reconstruct the revolutionary motor. What is Quentin's greatest desire.
4. Why does Phillip want cash instead of a check for Rearden's contribution to Friends of Global Progress?
5. Atlas is the Greek god who holds the world on his shoulders. In the novel, who is "Atlas"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the scene of the broken furnace give Hank insight into Francisco's real character?
2. Eddie Willers is left alone with the last train broken down in the desert. How does Rand portray the result of the communist rule?
3. Describe how the chain is viewed by Henry Rearden, Lillian Rearden, and Dagny Taggart. Explain its significance to the story.
4. Briefly explain Dr. Stadler's surprise that the motor Dagny found was being developed in a remote automobile factory.
5. Discuss the implication of Project X as it relates to the communist society that builds it.
6. When Cherryl confronts Dagny and says that she is now Mrs. Taggart, the woman of the family, Dagny replies, "That's quite all right. I'm the man." Explain what she means by that comment.
7. Describe the invitation John Galt gives before he leaves the air.
8. Describe some of the regulations under Directive 10-289.
9. What happens when Washington politician Kip Chalmers insists that the stalled Comet go on through a dangerous tunnel because he has a speaking appointment in San Francisco.
10. Dagny sees Hank Rearden as a "man who belongs on earth." Explain why.
This section contains 1,325 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)