|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is so unusual about the cigarette Dagny gets from Dr. Hugh Akston?
(a) It cannot be lit.
(b) It is made of unusual tobacco.
(c) It is rolled in colored paper.
(d) It is marked with a gold dollar sign.
2. How does Rand indicate that Wesley Mouch, Rearden's Washington lobbyist, may not be working in Rearden's interest?
(a) He is at a meeting with Orren Boyle, James Taggart, and Paul Larkin.
(b) He never goes to his office in Washington.
(c) He is at a meeting with Dagny and Owen Kellogg.
(d) He cannot get in to see the President of the United States.
3. What is the lie that James Taggart tells the Board of Taggert Railroad?
(a) That he foresaw this action, cut the schedule and removed the good equipment from that line.
(b) That Francisco d'Anconia had sold his copper mines to Mexico.
(c) That the whole thing was Dagny's fault since she wanted the Mexican line.
(d) That he would pay for all the company losses out of his own pocket.
4. Who offers to help Dagny solve the problem of the rotting wooden bridge on her Colorado line?
(a) Francisco d'Anconia
(b) Claude Slagenhop
(c) Hank Rearden
(d) Phillip Rearden
5. What is the purpose of the party Lillian plans to give in three months?
(a) Their wedding anniversary.
(b) Their social obligation to Dagny Taggart.
(c) A celebration of Rearden metal.
(d) A fund raiser for underprivileged children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the irony of the State Science Institute's demand for 10,000 tons of Rearden Metal?
2. At the party, James Taggart demands that Francisco explain why the San Sebastian mines are worthless. What is Francisco's ironic reply?
3. What was Francisco's nickname for Dagny when they were children?
4. How does Rand show James Taggart's opportunism after the success of the John Galt Line?
5. How does Bertram Scudder, editor of "The Future" magazine, characterize Hank Rearden?
Short Essay Questions
1. When an agreement is reached that closes the John Galt Line and the Rio Norte Line, what does Francisco mean when he asks Dagny if they had murdered John Galt?
2. Using the example of the Anti-Dog-Eat-Dog rule, explain in a few paragraphs how eliminating competition by legislation destroys productivity.
3. Lillian demands the Rearden Metal bracelet back and threatens to tell everyone that Dagny is sleeping with her husband. What is the irony of that situation?
4. Dagny sees Hank Rearden as a "man who belongs on earth." Explain why.
5. Discuss the significance of the names Rand gives to the businesses in ATLAS SHRUGGED.
6. Describe the meaning and the purpose of "white blackmail."
7. Explain the significance of the mysterious Halley's Fifth Concerto in developing the novel.
8. Francisco d'Anconia, heir of the d'Anconia Copper Mining empire, has developed a reputation as a playboy and a dilettante. Itemize the events in his early years with Dagny and James Taggart that are contradictory to that image.
9. At his trial, Hank Rearden refuses to give the government the "sanction of the victim." Explain what he means.
10. Discuss the different views from "the top" and "the bottom."
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)