|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Quentin Daniels is hired to reconstruct the revolutionary motor. What is Quentin's greatest desire.
(a) To meet the man who conceived of the idea of the motor.
(b) To improve the motor.
(c) To prove the the motor will not work.
(d) To create a motor from his own concept.
2. Why will Amalgamated Switch and Signal Company not complete Dagny's order for switches and signals on the Colorado line?
(a) They made a deal with Jim Taggart not to supply the equipment.
(b) They believe she cannot pay for the items.
(c) Too many people are opposed to Rearden metal.
(d) They cannot get the steel they need.
3. Who is planning to build diesel engines for Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) Dwight Sanders
(b) Eddie Willers
(c) Henry Rearden
(d) Francisco d'Anconia
4. What does Rearden say the government needed to win against him.
(a) His civil rights.
(b) His account books.
(c) His denial of any wrong doing.
(d) His cooperation.
5. What is Dagny's amazing discovery at Twentieth Century Motors?
(a) Plans for a revolutionary motor.
(b) The formula for Rearden metal.
(c) The address of the chief engineer.
(d) Books on building aircraft.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is almost single handedly responsible for opening up trade in Colorado?
2. What is the meaning of "Wyatt's torch"?
3. What is the comparison Francisco makes between John Galt and Prometheus?
4. What is the irony of the State Science Institute's demand for 10,000 tons of Rearden Metal?
5. What did the National Alliance of Railroads pass to eliminate competition?
Short Essay Questions
1. Write a few paragraphs on why Hank Rearden does not mind supporting his idle family but refuses to give Phillip a job he is not qualified to handle.
2. Discuss the events as Stadler finds them at Project X.
3. After they capture John Galt, explain why his life is not in immediate danger.
4. Describe the revelation Dagny gets from the vagrant worker she invited to dinner on the train.
5. Lillian demands the Rearden Metal bracelet back and threatens to tell everyone that Dagny is sleeping with her husband. What is the irony of that situation?
6. When an agreement is reached that closes the John Galt Line and the Rio Norte Line, what does Francisco mean when he asks Dagny if they had murdered John Galt?
7. After her return, Dagny is invited to speak on national radio. Describe her appearance on the show.
8. Francisco d'Anconia, heir of the d'Anconia Copper Mining empire, has developed a reputation as a playboy and a dilettante. Itemize the events in his early years with Dagny and James Taggart that are contradictory to that image.
9. At first, Hank Rearden dislikes Francisco d'Anconia. Explain his reasons.
10. How does Dr. Ferris get Hank Rearden to sign over Rearden Metal to the government?
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)