|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the Thanksgiving dinner, why does Lillian urge Hank not to fight the lawsuit?
(a) She says they will assassinate him.
(b) She says he cannot win.
(c) She says he will win if he does not present a case.
(d) She says he will damage her socially.
2. What strange exchange occurs between Dagny and Lillian at he party?
(a) They exchange bracelets, the Rearden Metal bracelet for Dagny's diamond bracelet.
(b) They exchange phone numbers so they can meet in New York.
(c) They exchange drinks bacuse Dagny doesn't drink alcohol.
(d) They exchange the names of their dress designers.
3. What is Rearden's suggestion to Dagny about giving in to the state?
(a) They must find John Galt.
(b) They must hold out as long as they can before complying with the State.
(c) They must destroy their businesses before they let that happen.
(d) They must find ways to compromise with the State.
4. What did the National Alliance of Railroads pass to eliminate competition?
(a) Anti-dog-eat-dog Rule
(b) Every man for himself Rule
(c) Local and Transcontinental Rule
(d) Anti-cooperation Rule
5. What does Rearden sell off after the bill banning people from owning multiple businesses is passed?
(a) Copper mines and freight companies
(b) Iron mines and jewelry manufacturing
(c) Train engines and coal mines
(d) Copper mines and coal mines
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bertram Scudder, editor of "The Future" magazine, characterize Hank Rearden?
2. What is "the chain"?
3. Before Hank Rearden, Dagny has had only one lover. She will not tell Rearden his name. Who was he?
4. What was Francisco's nickname for Dagny when they were children?
5. How did the Sternes say they tried to run Twentieth Century Motors?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Francisco comes to visit Dagny in the cabin near Woodstock, what idea does she have about the disappearance of so many business people?
2. Describe how the chain is viewed by Henry Rearden, Lillian Rearden, and Dagny Taggart. Explain its significance to the story.
3. Briefly explain Dr. Stadler's surprise that the motor Dagny found was being developed in a remote automobile factory.
4. Describe some of the regulations under Directive 10-289.
5. After her plane crash, Dagny wakes up in the valley that Rand compares to Atlantis, a lost continent. What does she then realize?
6. Summarize the message John Galt gives to the people when he takes control of the radio frequency.
7. What is the significance of "the best hamburger" Dagny has ever tasted when she goes to the diner in Wyoming?
8. What dramatic change takes place in the character of Cherryl Taggart? Explain.
9. What happens in the valley that indicates that Dagny is not yet ready to drop out and join everyone there?
10. Write a few paragraphs on why Hank Rearden does not mind supporting his idle family but refuses to give Phillip a job he is not qualified to handle.
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)