|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Dagny plan to start the first run of the John Galt Line?
(a) Denver, Colorado
(b) Washington, D. C.
(c) Cheyenne, Wyoming
(d) New York, NY
2. What prevents Taggart Transcontinental from meeting Rearden's deadline for delivering steel?
(a) Danagger refuses to supply coal if it will help Rearden.
(b) Danagger Coal cannot supply coal for the trains because its shipment goes to England.
(c) The coal miners all go on strike for higher wages.
(d) The bridge on the Galt Line is blown up.
3. When Dagny demands to be made Vice President in Charge of Operations, what reason does Jim give her for opposing the idea?
(a) Dagny, father never intended for you to work at Taggert.
(b) Dagny, you're a woman.
(c) Dagny, you don't know anything about railroads.
(d) Dagny, you'll get married and leave.
4. What is the image Francisco d'Anconia has in the public eye?
(a) He is the diamond king.
(b) He is a worthless playboy.
(c) He is planning to run for President.
(d) He is a noted philanthropist.
5. How did the Sternes say they tried to run Twentieth Century Motors?
(a) By paying the best salaries in the industry.
(b) Never criticizing anyone for a mistake or cost overrun.
(c) Imposing great penalties on those who made mistakes.
(d) From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the result of the government's decision to divert coal to the People's Republic of England?
2. Dr. Potter of the State Science Institute threatens Rearden who pretends not to understand his threats. Why?
3. What is the meaning of "Wyatt's torch"?
4. When Dr. Stadler questions why the man who was developing the revolutionary motor was working in a factory research lab, what is Dagny's reply?
5. When a reporter asks Dagny, "Who is John Galt?" what is her answer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the scene of the broken furnace give Hank insight into Francisco's real character?
2. Rand introduces "Wyatt's Torch" as Dagny returns on the train to Wyatt Junction. What does the term suggest?
3. Explain how the mystery of Eddie Willers' unnamed friend in the cafeteria and the shadowy man Dagny sees outside her office add to the suspense of the novel.
4. The title of the chapter, "The Exploiters and the Exploited" might suggest that the industrialists like Hank Rearden exploit the public by creating products for their own personal gratification. Rand, however, turns that around to suggest that the socialist government are exploiting the industrialists. Support that idea.
5. Using the example of the Anti-Dog-Eat-Dog rule, explain in a few paragraphs how eliminating competition by legislation destroys productivity.
6. At first, Hank Rearden dislikes Francisco d'Anconia. Explain his reasons.
7. Lillian demands the Rearden Metal bracelet back and threatens to tell everyone that Dagny is sleeping with her husband. What is the irony of that situation?
8. When Cherryl confronts Dagny and says that she is now Mrs. Taggart, the woman of the family, Dagny replies, "That's quite all right. I'm the man." Explain what she means by that comment.
9. Explain the symbolism of the Twentieth Century Motor Company as Dagny and Hank find it.
10. Dagny sees Hank Rearden as a "man who belongs on earth." Explain why.
This section contains 1,293 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)