|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rand use the marriage of James and Cherryl to make her point against social philosophy?
(a) Like communism, it is a sham based on lies and deception.
(b) It shows that poor people do not lack social graces.
(c) It is an improbable love story.
(d) It shows that the rich and the poor are really equal.
2. How does Rand show James Taggart's opportunism after the success of the John Galt Line?
(a) He takes credit for its success.
(b) He gives Dagny credit for saving the company.
(c) He buys more stock in the John Galt Line.
(d) He decides to build a new line of his own.
3. What is the result of the government's decision to divert coal to the People's Republic of England?
(a) Rearden Metal wins the contract to ship the steel.
(b) People have to wait for needed food to arrive.
(c) Produce from the West coast is held up for 3 days and everything spoils.
(d) Project X has to be put on hold.
4. What is Mouch's new job after he resigns as Rearden's Washington lobbyist?
(a) Assistant Editor of
(b) Secretary of the Interior
(c) Vice President of Taggart Transcontinental
(d) Assistant Coordinator of the Bureau of Economic Planning and National Resources
5. Who is the childhood friend of Jim and Dagny who now works for them?
(a) Hank Rearden
(b) Eddie Willers
(c) John Galt
(d) James Ellis Wyatt
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "the chain"?
2. Why will Amalgamated Switch and Signal Company not complete Dagny's order for switches and signals on the Colorado line?
3. What is Dagny's amazing discovery at Twentieth Century Motors?
4. Where does Dagny plan to start the first run of the John Galt Line?
5. Quentin Daniels is hired to reconstruct the revolutionary motor. What is Quentin's greatest desire.
Short Essay Questions
1. At his trial, Hank Rearden refuses to give the government the "sanction of the victim." Explain what he means.
2. The title of the chapter, "The Exploiters and the Exploited" might suggest that the industrialists like Hank Rearden exploit the public by creating products for their own personal gratification. Rand, however, turns that around to suggest that the socialist government are exploiting the industrialists. Support that idea.
3. Describe the meaning and the purpose of "white blackmail."
4. Explain the symbolism of Lillian's taking Dagny's diamond bracelet in exchange for the Rearden Metal chain.
5. Discuss the different views from "the top" and "the bottom."
6. As James Taggart and Dagny discuss plans for Taggart Transcontinental, James' attitude sets the stage for the real conflict in ATLAS SHRUGGED. Explain.
7. When an agreement is reached that closes the John Galt Line and the Rio Norte Line, what does Francisco mean when he asks Dagny if they had murdered John Galt?
8. How does the Twentieth Century Motor Company demonstrate the results of the communistic idea of "from each according to his ability, to each according to his need"?
9. Dagny sees Hank Rearden as a "man who belongs on earth." Explain why.
10. Describe how the chain is viewed by Henry Rearden, Lillian Rearden, and Dagny Taggart. Explain its significance to the story.
This section contains 1,307 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)