|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is planning to build diesel engines for Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) Francisco d'Anconia
(b) Dwight Sanders
(c) Eddie Willers
(d) Henry Rearden
2. Why will Amalgamated Switch and Signal Company not complete Dagny's order for switches and signals on the Colorado line?
(a) They cannot get the steel they need.
(b) Too many people are opposed to Rearden metal.
(c) They believe she cannot pay for the items.
(d) They made a deal with Jim Taggart not to supply the equipment.
3. What does Dagny object to about the San Sebastian Line?
(a) That the Mexican government will subsidise it.
(b) That it is going to help the communist government.
(c) That is was not her idea.
(d) That it is using Rearden steel rails.
4. How does Rand use the marriage of James and Cherryl to make her point against social philosophy?
(a) It is an improbable love story.
(b) Like communism, it is a sham based on lies and deception.
(c) It shows that the rich and the poor are really equal.
(d) It shows that poor people do not lack social graces.
5. When Dagny stops at a newsstand buy cigarettes, what is the last thing the vendor says to her?
(a) Oh well, we'll have your cigarettes tomorrow.
(b) Oh well, next time I'll save you a paper.
(c) Oh well, who is John Galt?
(d) Oh well, you need to stop smoking anyway.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bertram Scudder, editor of "The Future" magazine, characterize Hank Rearden?
2. At the anniversary party, what do Dr. Pritchett, Balph Eubank, and Mort Mort Liddy have in common?
3. What was Francisco's nickname for Dagny when they were children?
4. Why does Dagny take a leave of absence from her job as Vice President of Operations at Taggart Transcontinental?
5. James and Cherryl begin their unlikely romance. Where does James meet her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Francisco shows up to deliver Hank when an angry mod attacks his Rearden Metal plant. Why is this a turning point for Hank Rearden?
2. Describe the first meeting between Hank Rearden and Ragnar Danneskjtzld.
3. Summarize the message John Galt gives to the people when he takes control of the radio frequency.
4. How does the Twentieth Century Motor Company demonstrate the results of the communistic idea of "from each according to his ability, to each according to his need"?
5. Describe the revelation Dagny gets from the vagrant worker she invited to dinner on the train.
6. Describe the meeting between John Galt and Dr. Stadler.
7. Francisco engineers a huge financial fraud on the Mexican government and greedy shareholders like James Taggart and Orren Boyle. Then he asks Dagny, "Who is John Galt?" How does Rand use his character to build suspense?
8. Describe the meaning and the purpose of "white blackmail."
9. Explain the significance of the $ sign on the cigarettes.
10. As the Cuffy Meigs of the world gain control and the country is rapidly deteriorating, how does James Taggart view his personal situation?
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)