|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Owen Kellogg's reply to Dagny when she asks him why he is resigning from Taggert Railway?
(a) Who is John Galt?
(b) You can't pay me what I'm worth.
(c) Railroads are a thing of the past.
(d) I'm going into business for myself.
2. Who offers to help Dagny solve the problem of the rotting wooden bridge on her Colorado line?
(a) Phillip Rearden
(b) Claude Slagenhop
(c) Hank Rearden
(d) Francisco d'Anconia
3. What is so revolutionary about the motor that never went into production?
(a) It requires a totally new factory to build.
(b) It draws its energy from static electricity in the atmosphere.
(c) It produces more power than regular engines.
(d) It runs on water.
4. At the anniversary party, what do Dr. Pritchett, Balph Eubank, and Mort Mort Liddy have in common?
(a) The all support the Equalization of Opportunity Bill.
(b) They are all capitalists.
(c) They all know who John Galt is.
(d) They are all against the Equalization of Opportunity Bill.
5. What is Ayn Rand's objection to majority rule as put forth by the National Alliance of Railroads?
(a) It puts decision making in the hands of uneducted people.
(b) It is not a true socialist idea.
(c) It can be used to stifle competition, capitalism, and individualism.
(d) It does not go far enough to protect everyone.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Hank Rearden learns that the legislature has passed the Equalization of Opportunity Bill, what does he learn from Mouch, his lobbyist in Washington?
2. How does Rand let the reader know that there is a connection between Francisco and Danneskjtzld?
3. Quentin Daniels is hired to reconstruct the revolutionary motor. What is Quentin's greatest desire.
4. What game does Francisco play with the Mexican government and the American stockholders in the San Sebastian Mines?
5. Dr. Stadler talks about having known John Galt who he believes is dead. What is his recollection of Galt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Twentieth Century Motor Company demonstrate the results of the communistic idea of "from each according to his ability, to each according to his need"?
2. Discuss the different views from "the top" and "the bottom."
3. When Cherryl confronts Dagny and says that she is now Mrs. Taggart, the woman of the family, Dagny replies, "That's quite all right. I'm the man." Explain what she means by that comment.
4. What is the significance of "the best hamburger" Dagny has ever tasted when she goes to the diner in Wyoming?
5. Explain the symbolism of the Twentieth Century Motor Company as Dagny and Hank find it.
6. Explain the significance of the mysterious Halley's Fifth Concerto in developing the novel.
7. How does the scene of the broken furnace give Hank insight into Francisco's real character?
8. Explain how the mystery of Eddie Willers' unnamed friend in the cafeteria and the shadowy man Dagny sees outside her office add to the suspense of the novel.
9. When an agreement is reached that closes the John Galt Line and the Rio Norte Line, what does Francisco mean when he asks Dagny if they had murdered John Galt?
10. Francisco engineers a huge financial fraud on the Mexican government and greedy shareholders like James Taggart and Orren Boyle. Then he asks Dagny, "Who is John Galt?" How does Rand use his character to build suspense?
This section contains 1,418 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)