|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dagny take a leave of absence from her job as Vice President of Operations at Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) To find Francisco and marry him.
(b) To get away to Europe for a vacation.
(c) To supervise and finish the John Galt Line.
(d) To try and localte John Galt.
2. Before Hank Rearden, Dagny has had only one lover. She will not tell Rearden his name. Who was he?
(a) Francisco d'Anconia
(b) Eddie Willers
(c) John Galt
(d) Ragnar Danneskjtzld
3. How does Rand indicate that Wesley Mouch, Rearden's Washington lobbyist, may not be working in Rearden's interest?
(a) He cannot get in to see the President of the United States.
(b) He is at a meeting with Orren Boyle, James Taggart, and Paul Larkin.
(c) He never goes to his office in Washington.
(d) He is at a meeting with Dagny and Owen Kellogg.
4. How old was Francisco when he took over d'Anconia Copper Mines?
5. What is the surprising question Francisco poses to Dagny at the wedding reception?
(a) Have you met John Galt?
(b) Don't you want to know now: Who is John Galt?
(c) Don't you want to tell Lillian about your affair with her husband?
(d) Did you get permission to use John Galt's name on your new railroad line?
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Stadler talks about having known John Galt who he believes is dead. What is his recollection of Galt?
2. Who is the childhood friend of Jim and Dagny who now works for them?
3. What is the comparison Francisco makes between John Galt and Prometheus?
4. What is the problem Rearden sees in any government that professes to run by committee for the "public good."
5. What is the symbolism of Francisco lying on the floor with his arms spread out to his sides?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the significance of the names Rand gives to the businesses in ATLAS SHRUGGED.
2. Briefly explain Dr. Stadler's surprise that the motor Dagny found was being developed in a remote automobile factory.
3. In the chapter Rand calls "Account Overdrawn," how does the author picture the results of the socialist government's regulations?
4. Describe the meaning and the purpose of "white blackmail."
5. Describe how the chain is viewed by Henry Rearden, Lillian Rearden, and Dagny Taggart. Explain its significance to the story.
6. Explain the symbolism of the Twentieth Century Motor Company as Dagny and Hank find it.
7. Explain the symbolism of Lillian's taking Dagny's diamond bracelet in exchange for the Rearden Metal chain.
8. Rand introduces "Wyatt's Torch" as Dagny returns on the train to Wyatt Junction. What does the term suggest?
9. Why is the idea of "motive" so important in the novel? Explain in detail.
10. Discuss the different views from "the top" and "the bottom."
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)