|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Phillip want cash instead of a check for Rearden's contribution to Friends of Global Progress?
(a) He thinks Rearden's check is no good.
(b) He doesn't want them to know that the money came from his capitalist brother.
(c) He wants to pocket half of the cash.
(d) Friends for Global Progress does not accept checks.
2. What does Francisco d'Anconia say the socialists will use to replace "the aristocracy of money"?
(a) The commonality of all men
(b) The aristocracy of everyone
(c) The destruction of all aristocracy
(d) The aristocracy of influence.
3. Dr. Stadler talks about having known John Galt who he believes is dead. What is his recollection of Galt?
(a) Galt had the most brilliant mind he had ever encountered.
(b) Galt was an early leader of the communist movement.
(c) Galt was the brains behind the revolutionary motor.
(d) Galt was an insurrectionist and trouble maker.
4. Who is planning to build diesel engines for Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) Francisco d'Anconia
(b) Dwight Sanders
(c) Eddie Willers
(d) Henry Rearden
5. What is Owen Kellogg's reply to Dagny when she asks him why he is resigning from Taggert Railway?
(a) I'm going into business for myself.
(b) You can't pay me what I'm worth.
(c) Who is John Galt?
(d) Railroads are a thing of the past.
Short Answer Questions
1. Quentin Daniels is hired to reconstruct the revolutionary motor. What is Quentin's greatest desire.
2. What show of support does Dagny get from employees of Taggart Transcontinental?
3. What does Rearden say the government needed to win against him.
4. At home and in despair, what music is Dagny listening to when she puts down her head and cries?
5. Why do Hank and Dagny try to find the old Twentieth Century Motor company?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rand now make it plain that Eddie Willer's cafeteria friend has been using him to spy on Dagny?
2. Explain how the mystery of Eddie Willers' unnamed friend in the cafeteria and the shadowy man Dagny sees outside her office add to the suspense of the novel.
3. Describe some of the regulations under Directive 10-289.
4. Describe the meaning and the purpose of "white blackmail."
5. The "Immovable Movers" in Rand's novel are the industrialists like Dagny and Rearden who produce because it is in their blood to do so. They produce for the joy of accomplishment and thus provide for the society as a whole. Rand compares them to the mythical Greek god Atlas who purportedly holds up the world on his shoulders. Explain her conclusions.
6. Briefly explain Dr. Stadler's surprise that the motor Dagny found was being developed in a remote automobile factory.
7. After they capture John Galt, explain why his life is not in immediate danger.
8. Describe Dagny's reaction when Danagger says to her, "Well, done, Dagny."
9. As James Taggart and Dagny discuss plans for Taggart Transcontinental, James' attitude sets the stage for the real conflict in ATLAS SHRUGGED. Explain.
10. Explain the symbolism of Lillian's taking Dagny's diamond bracelet in exchange for the Rearden Metal chain.
This section contains 1,245 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)