|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the real outcome after the court fines Rearden $5,000 and gives him a suspended sentence?
(a) In effect, he has won against the government.
(b) Other industrialists will go out of business.
(c) Lillian's social connections are destroyed.
(d) Rearden will have to comply with the government rules.
2. How does the organization, Friends of Global Progress, view Rearden Steel?
(a) That Rearden represents the blackest element of social retrogression in the country.
(b) That Rearden Steel will be its largest contributor.
(c) That it is an indignificant business that will likely fail.
(d) That Rearden Steel will one day belong to them.
3. What prevents Taggart Transcontinental from meeting Rearden's deadline for delivering steel?
(a) The coal miners all go on strike for higher wages.
(b) Danagger Coal cannot supply coal for the trains because its shipment goes to England.
(c) The bridge on the Galt Line is blown up.
(d) Danagger refuses to supply coal if it will help Rearden.
4. What news does James Taggart receive that Dagny had predicted?
(a) The Mexican line is out of coal and must burn wood to run the trains.
(b) The Mexican Government has nationalized the San Sebastian Mine and the Taggart railroad line
(c) The US government is nationalizing all industry.
(d) Rearden refusus to supply metal for any railroad rails.
5. At the party, James Taggart demands that Francisco explain why the San Sebastian mines are worthless. What is Francisco's ironic reply?
(a) He says the mines are not worthless bacuse they contain silver.
(b) He says he wanted to contribute to the Mexican economy.
(c) He says he gave them the wrong location because he knew what they would do.
(d) He says he gave them the mines to do with as they pleased.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is planning to build diesel engines for Taggart Transcontinental?
2. What is the comparison Francisco makes between John Galt and Prometheus?
3. What is so revolutionary about the motor that never went into production?
4. Dr. Potter of the State Science Institute threatens Rearden who pretends not to understand his threats. Why?
5. What is the result of the government's decision to divert coal to the People's Republic of England?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the conflict within Francisco when he discovers that Rearden had ordered copper from his mines in Argentina.
2. How does the scene of the broken furnace give Hank insight into Francisco's real character?
3. When Cherryl confronts Dagny and says that she is now Mrs. Taggart, the woman of the family, Dagny replies, "That's quite all right. I'm the man." Explain what she means by that comment.
4. When an agreement is reached that closes the John Galt Line and the Rio Norte Line, what does Francisco mean when he asks Dagny if they had murdered John Galt?
5. Dagny sees Hank Rearden as a "man who belongs on earth." Explain why.
6. How does the Twentieth Century Motor Company demonstrate the results of the communistic idea of "from each according to his ability, to each according to his need"?
7. As James Taggart and Dagny discuss plans for Taggart Transcontinental, James' attitude sets the stage for the real conflict in ATLAS SHRUGGED. Explain.
8. Briefly explain Dr. Stadler's surprise that the motor Dagny found was being developed in a remote automobile factory.
9. Why is the idea of "motive" so important in the novel? Explain in detail.
10. In the chapter Rand calls "Account Overdrawn," how does the author picture the results of the socialist government's regulations?
This section contains 1,318 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)