|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What game does Francisco play with the Mexican government and the American stockholders in the San Sebastian Mines?
(a) He plays poker with the Mexican President in a winner-take-all game.
(b) He knows the mines are worthless and wants to watch them go down with their own greed.
(c) He plays a game of marbles on the hotel room floor.
(d) He plays charades but no one can guess his subject.
2. What is Dagny's amazing discovery at Twentieth Century Motors?
(a) The formula for Rearden metal.
(b) Plans for a revolutionary motor.
(c) Books on building aircraft.
(d) The address of the chief engineer.
3. Why does Phillip want cash instead of a check for Rearden's contribution to Friends of Global Progress?
(a) He thinks Rearden's check is no good.
(b) He wants to pocket half of the cash.
(c) He doesn't want them to know that the money came from his capitalist brother.
(d) Friends for Global Progress does not accept checks.
4. When Dagny stops at a newsstand buy cigarettes, what is the last thing the vendor says to her?
(a) Oh well, you need to stop smoking anyway.
(b) Oh well, who is John Galt?
(c) Oh well, we'll have your cigarettes tomorrow.
(d) Oh well, next time I'll save you a paper.
5. How does Dr. Ferris explain to Rearden the many laws that are being passed by the State?
(a) He says that laws that don't work will eventually be repealed.
(b) He says that Rearden just doesn't understand what the laws are saying.
(c) There is no other way to rule men than to pass laws that cannot be observed, enforced or interpreted
(d) He says the lawmakers do not really know what they are doing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dannager refuse to say "Good-bye" to Dagny?
2. How does Rand show James Taggart's opportunism after the success of the John Galt Line?
3. Atlas is the Greek god who holds the world on his shoulders. In the novel, who is "Atlas"?
4. What is the purpose of the party Lillian plans to give in three months?
5. What is the problem Rearden sees in any government that professes to run by committee for the "public good."
Short Essay Questions
1. Rand introduces "Wyatt's Torch" as Dagny returns on the train to Wyatt Junction. What does the term suggest?
2. Describe how the chain is viewed by Henry Rearden, Lillian Rearden, and Dagny Taggart. Explain its significance to the story.
3. Using the example of the Anti-Dog-Eat-Dog rule, explain in a few paragraphs how eliminating competition by legislation destroys productivity.
4. Lillian demands the Rearden Metal bracelet back and threatens to tell everyone that Dagny is sleeping with her husband. What is the irony of that situation?
5. Briefly explain Dr. Stadler's surprise that the motor Dagny found was being developed in a remote automobile factory.
6. At first, Hank Rearden dislikes Francisco d'Anconia. Explain his reasons.
7. Write a few paragraphs on why Hank Rearden does not mind supporting his idle family but refuses to give Phillip a job he is not qualified to handle.
8. When Cherryl confronts Dagny and says that she is now Mrs. Taggart, the woman of the family, Dagny replies, "That's quite all right. I'm the man." Explain what she means by that comment.
9. How does the scene of the broken furnace give Hank insight into Francisco's real character?
10. Discuss the significance of the names Rand gives to the businesses in ATLAS SHRUGGED.
This section contains 1,340 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)