|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the childhood friend of Jim and Dagny who now works for them?
(a) John Galt
(b) Hank Rearden
(c) James Ellis Wyatt
(d) Eddie Willers
2. What does Dagny notice before leaving Dannager's office?
(a) A note signed by John Galt.
(b) A cigarette butt with the $ sign on it.
(c) A pistol on Dannager's desk.
(d) A plane ticket to Europe.
3. What is the comparison Francisco makes between John Galt and Prometheus?
(a) John Galt believes the total end is near for all mankind.
(b) John Galt is a Prometheus who changed his mind.
(c) John Galt has been eaten by vultures and is dead.
(d) John Galt invented fire.
4. What is the symbolism of Francisco lying on the floor with his arms spread out to his sides?
(a) Making his pain go away.
(b) Sacrifice for what he believes in.
(c) His confused state of mind.
(d) His dream of flying.
5. What does Rearden say the government needed to win against him.
(a) His cooperation.
(b) His civil rights.
(c) His denial of any wrong doing.
(d) His account books.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a reporter asks Dagny, "Who is John Galt?" what is her answer?
2. Why are the guests at the party so eager to discuss the capture of Ragnar Danneskjtzld?
3. Where does Dagny plan to start the first run of the John Galt Line?
4. What does Rand mean by the title, "White Blackmail"?
5. What does Rearden sell off after the bill banning people from owning multiple businesses is passed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the symbolism of the Twentieth Century Motor Company as Dagny and Hank find it.
2. Discuss the significance of the names Rand gives to the businesses in ATLAS SHRUGGED.
3. Explain how the mystery of Eddie Willers' unnamed friend in the cafeteria and the shadowy man Dagny sees outside her office add to the suspense of the novel.
4. Explain the conflict within Francisco when he discovers that Rearden had ordered copper from his mines in Argentina.
5. Discuss the significance of the turnout of Taggart employees and the armed guards every mile along the initial John Galt Line train.
6. Describe the meaning and the purpose of "white blackmail."
7. What is the significance of "the best hamburger" Dagny has ever tasted when she goes to the diner in Wyoming?
8. When Cherryl confronts Dagny and says that she is now Mrs. Taggart, the woman of the family, Dagny replies, "That's quite all right. I'm the man." Explain what she means by that comment.
9. Write a few paragraphs on why Hank Rearden does not mind supporting his idle family but refuses to give Phillip a job he is not qualified to handle.
10. When an agreement is reached that closes the John Galt Line and the Rio Norte Line, what does Francisco mean when he asks Dagny if they had murdered John Galt?
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)