|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Hank and Dagny try to find the old Twentieth Century Motor company?
(a) They are looking for a new car.
(b) The are looking for usable parts for diesel engines.
(c) They are looking for scrap iron.
(d) They are looking for new headquarters for Rearden Metal.
2. Why will Amalgamated Switch and Signal Company not complete Dagny's order for switches and signals on the Colorado line?
(a) They cannot get the steel they need.
(b) They believe she cannot pay for the items.
(c) They made a deal with Jim Taggart not to supply the equipment.
(d) Too many people are opposed to Rearden metal.
3. Why does Phillip want cash instead of a check for Rearden's contribution to Friends of Global Progress?
(a) He wants to pocket half of the cash.
(b) Friends for Global Progress does not accept checks.
(c) He doesn't want them to know that the money came from his capitalist brother.
(d) He thinks Rearden's check is no good.
4. What sarcastic comment does Dagny make to James Taggart and Wesley Mouch?
(a) Got what you've been asking for, all these years, gentlemen?
(b) Which one of you is planning to rob a bank?
(c) What's the point in running a business if there is no profit?
(d) You tell me how to run a train on bad rails.
5. What does Hank Rearden's mother suggest is Phillip's qualification to work for Rearden Metal?
(a) He could get a job anywhere but wants to help his brother.
(b) He has the social skills that Hank lacks.
(c) He holds an engineering degree.
(d) He is Hank's brother.
6. What prevents Taggart Transcontinental from meeting Rearden's deadline for delivering steel?
(a) Danagger refuses to supply coal if it will help Rearden.
(b) The bridge on the Galt Line is blown up.
(c) Danagger Coal cannot supply coal for the trains because its shipment goes to England.
(d) The coal miners all go on strike for higher wages.
7. What is the comparison Francisco makes between John Galt and Prometheus?
(a) John Galt has been eaten by vultures and is dead.
(b) John Galt invented fire.
(c) John Galt is a Prometheus who changed his mind.
(d) John Galt believes the total end is near for all mankind.
8. What did the National Alliance of Railroads pass to eliminate competition?
(a) Anti-cooperation Rule
(b) Local and Transcontinental Rule
(c) Anti-dog-eat-dog Rule
(d) Every man for himself Rule
9. Who is almost single handedly responsible for opening up trade in Colorado?
(a) Jim Taggart
(b) Ellis Wyatt
(c) Paul Larkin
(d) Hank Rearden
10. What caused Francisco's ancestor out of Spain to Argentina where he became wealthy as a copper miner?
(a) The Potato Famine.
(b) The French Revolution.
(c) The Spanish Inquisition.
(d) The Spanish Revolution.
11. At the party, James Taggart demands that Francisco explain why the San Sebastian mines are worthless. What is Francisco's ironic reply?
(a) He says he wanted to contribute to the Mexican economy.
(b) He says he gave them the wrong location because he knew what they would do.
(c) He says the mines are not worthless bacuse they contain silver.
(d) He says he gave them the mines to do with as they pleased.
12. When Dr. Stadler questions why the man who was developing the revolutionary motor was working in a factory research lab, what is Dagny's reply?
(a) He probably came from somewhere around here.
(b) Maybe the Science Institute turned him down.
(c) Maybe he couldn't find another place.
(d) He probably liked living on this earth.
13. What is so unusual about the cigarette Dagny gets from Dr. Hugh Akston?
(a) It is marked with a gold dollar sign.
(b) It is made of unusual tobacco.
(c) It is rolled in colored paper.
(d) It cannot be lit.
14. James and Cherryl begin their unlikely romance. Where does James meet her?
(a) Friends introduce them.
(b) At a cocktail party.
(c) In a dime store.
(d) At the train station.
15. What is the meaning of "Wyatt's torch"?
(a) Wyatt's threat to destroy the economy by setting fire to Washington.
(b) What is left after Wyatt's destruction of his oil fields.
(c) Wyatt's new flashlight invention.
(d) Wyatt's lighting after his electricity has been shut off.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Stadler talks about having known John Galt who he believes is dead. What is his recollection of Galt?
2. What is the cryptic question that sets the mood of suspense in ATLAS SHRUGGED?
3. How does the government plan to conserve copper and electricity?
4. Who offers to help Dagny solve the problem of the rotting wooden bridge on her Colorado line?
5. When Dagny demands that Francisco tell her why Ellis Wyatt will be wiped out in Colorado, why does he refuse to tell her?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)