|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Francisco's nickname for Dagny when they were children?
2. Who is planning to build diesel engines for Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) Henry Rearden
(b) Dwight Sanders
(c) Francisco d'Anconia
(d) Eddie Willers
3. What does Rearden say the government needed to win against him.
(a) His civil rights.
(b) His account books.
(c) His denial of any wrong doing.
(d) His cooperation.
4. Dr. Potter of the State Science Institute threatens Rearden who pretends not to understand his threats. Why?
(a) If he did, he would cancel his business plans.
(b) If he did, he would have to give Rearden Metal to the government.
(c) If he did, he would have to kill Potter.
(d) If he did, he would take his product off the market.
5. What game does Francisco play with the Mexican government and the American stockholders in the San Sebastian Mines?
(a) He plays a game of marbles on the hotel room floor.
(b) He plays charades but no one can guess his subject.
(c) He plays poker with the Mexican President in a winner-take-all game.
(d) He knows the mines are worthless and wants to watch them go down with their own greed.
6. What is so revolutionary about the motor that never went into production?
(a) It produces more power than regular engines.
(b) It draws its energy from static electricity in the atmosphere.
(c) It requires a totally new factory to build.
(d) It runs on water.
7. Atlas is the Greek god who holds the world on his shoulders. In the novel, who is "Atlas"?
(a) The common people.
(b) The National Alliance of Railroads
(c) Industrialists like Dagny and Rearden
(d) Billionaires like Francisco d'Anconia.
8. How does the organization, Friends of Global Progress, view Rearden Steel?
(a) That it is an indignificant business that will likely fail.
(b) That Rearden Steel will one day belong to them.
(c) That Rearden Steel will be its largest contributor.
(d) That Rearden represents the blackest element of social retrogression in the country.
9. When the Taggart board and the Washington influence peddlers meet, what is the irony of their meeting place?
(a) It is unheated because of the coal shortages.
(b) It gives complete control of Taggart Transcontinental to the government.
(c) It is in Dagny's office.
(d) It is held in the terminal beneath the statue of Nathaniel Taggart.
10. What is the real outcome after the court fines Rearden $5,000 and gives him a suspended sentence?
(a) In effect, he has won against the government.
(b) Lillian's social connections are destroyed.
(c) Other industrialists will go out of business.
(d) Rearden will have to comply with the government rules.
11. What happens after the disappearance of Wyatt and his vast Colorado oil fields?
(a) Project X provides a new and better fuel.
(b) Small companies cannot supply enough oil to fill the demand.
(c) The government reopens the Wyatt oil fields and everything gets back to normal.
(d) Mine owners begin blowing up their mines.
12. Why will Amalgamated Switch and Signal Company not complete Dagny's order for switches and signals on the Colorado line?
(a) They believe she cannot pay for the items.
(b) They made a deal with Jim Taggart not to supply the equipment.
(c) Too many people are opposed to Rearden metal.
(d) They cannot get the steel they need.
13. At home and in despair, what music is Dagny listening to when she puts down her head and cries?
(a) Halley's Fourth Concerto
(b) Halley's opera,
(c) Tchaikovski's Symphony Pathetique
(d) Cry Me a River
14. Why are the guests at the party so eager to discuss the capture of Ragnar Danneskjtzld?
(a) Because he has a strange name that they don't trust.
(b) Because he is the only one who can save socialism.
(c) Because he is a pirate who seizes relief supplies intended for communist societies.
(d) Because he is a supporter of the Equalization of Opportunity Bill
15. Who is almost single handedly responsible for opening up trade in Colorado?
(a) Hank Rearden
(b) Jim Taggart
(c) Ellis Wyatt
(d) Paul Larkin
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hank Rearden's mother suggest is Phillip's qualification to work for Rearden Metal?
2. Because of the Equity of Distribution Law, there is now a Deputy Director of Distribution handling all of Rearden Metal's orders. What is his nickname?
3. What does Francisco d'Anconia say the socialists will use to replace "the aristocracy of money"?
4. How does the government plan to conserve copper and electricity?
5. What is the meaning of "Wyatt's torch"?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)