|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dr. Ferris explain to Rearden the many laws that are being passed by the State?
(a) He says the lawmakers do not really know what they are doing.
(b) There is no other way to rule men than to pass laws that cannot be observed, enforced or interpreted
(c) He says that Rearden just doesn't understand what the laws are saying.
(d) He says that laws that don't work will eventually be repealed.
2. What decision does Dagny make when she is nine years old?
(a) To run Taggart Rail Lines.
(b) To become a fashion model.
(c) To marry Eddie Willers.
(d) To study in Paris.
3. What was Francisco's nickname for Dagny when they were children?
4. What does Rearden say the government needed to win against him.
(a) His cooperation.
(b) His account books.
(c) His civil rights.
(d) His denial of any wrong doing.
5. How does Rand show James Taggart's opportunism after the success of the John Galt Line?
(a) He buys more stock in the John Galt Line.
(b) He takes credit for its success.
(c) He gives Dagny credit for saving the company.
(d) He decides to build a new line of his own.
6. Dr. Potter of the State Science Institute threatens Rearden who pretends not to understand his threats. Why?
(a) If he did, he would cancel his business plans.
(b) If he did, he would have to kill Potter.
(c) If he did, he would take his product off the market.
(d) If he did, he would have to give Rearden Metal to the government.
7. When Hank Rearden learns that the legislature has passed the Equalization of Opportunity Bill, what does he learn from Mouch, his lobbyist in Washington?
(a) Mouch says the President will veto the bill.
(b) Mouch offers to return the money Rearden has paid him.
(c) Nothing. Mouch is not answering his phone.
(d) Mouch tells him that the bill has no penalty written into it.
8. Based on what she knows at the moment, what conclusion does Dagny draw about the disappearance of men like Wyatt?
(a) She believes there is a destroyer.
(b) She believes they are secretly working on her railroad line.
(c) She thinks they are all joining the communist movement.
(d) She thinks they are being kidnapped by the government.
9. Rand uses the failure of Twentieth Century Motors to make what point about socialism?
(a) Production increases when everyone shares in the work.
(b) The socialist system allows the greatest minds to get ahead.
(c) It is only fair that everyone make the same salary.
(d) The socialist system only takes from those with ability and gives to others who are less deserving.
10. How does Rand use the party to show the superficiality of the communist guests?
(a) They prefer not to talk about politics.
(b) They pretend to favor defeat for the the Equalization of Opportunity Bill.
(c) They are all dressed in their finest and wearing flashy jewelry.
(d) They have not invited any rich industrialists to the party.
11. What is Rearden's suggestion to Dagny about giving in to the state?
(a) They must hold out as long as they can before complying with the State.
(b) They must find ways to compromise with the State.
(c) They must find John Galt.
(d) They must destroy their businesses before they let that happen.
12. When a reporter asks Dagny, "Who is John Galt?" what is her answer?
(a) An advertising gimmick.
(b) Who cares?
(c) I'll never tell.
(d) We are.
13. What is so unusual about the cigarette Dagny gets from Dr. Hugh Akston?
(a) It is rolled in colored paper.
(b) It cannot be lit.
(c) It is marked with a gold dollar sign.
(d) It is made of unusual tobacco.
14. What does Rand mean by the title, "White Blackmail"?
(a) A way of getting people to obey the laws and cooperate with the government.
(b) A way of manipulating people by passing aws and regulations that the influence peddlers want broken.
(c) Little white lies to get around the laws.
(d) Not really blackmail at all.
15. Who is planning to build diesel engines for Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) Dwight Sanders
(b) Henry Rearden
(c) Eddie Willers
(d) Francisco d'Anconia
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dagny demands that Francisco tell her why Ellis Wyatt will be wiped out in Colorado, why does he refuse to tell her?
2. Before Hank Rearden, Dagny has had only one lover. She will not tell Rearden his name. Who was he?
3. What is the problem Rearden sees in any government that professes to run by committee for the "public good."
4. What is the result of the government's decision to divert coal to the People's Republic of England?
5. Why does Dagny take a leave of absence from her job as Vice President of Operations at Taggart Transcontinental?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)