|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Dagny demands to be made Vice President in Charge of Operations, what reason does Jim give her for opposing the idea?
(a) Dagny, father never intended for you to work at Taggert.
(b) Dagny, you'll get married and leave.
(c) Dagny, you're a woman.
(d) Dagny, you don't know anything about railroads.
2. What is the comparison Francisco makes between John Galt and Prometheus?
(a) John Galt has been eaten by vultures and is dead.
(b) John Galt is a Prometheus who changed his mind.
(c) John Galt invented fire.
(d) John Galt believes the total end is near for all mankind.
3. What does Dagny object to about the San Sebastian Line?
(a) That it is using Rearden steel rails.
(b) That it is going to help the communist government.
(c) That the Mexican government will subsidise it.
(d) That is was not her idea.
4. What is so revolutionary about the motor that never went into production?
(a) It runs on water.
(b) It produces more power than regular engines.
(c) It requires a totally new factory to build.
(d) It draws its energy from static electricity in the atmosphere.
5. Who is almost single handedly responsible for opening up trade in Colorado?
(a) Paul Larkin
(b) Hank Rearden
(c) Ellis Wyatt
(d) Jim Taggart
6. When Dr. Stadler questions why the man who was developing the revolutionary motor was working in a factory research lab, what is Dagny's reply?
(a) Maybe he couldn't find another place.
(b) He probably came from somewhere around here.
(c) He probably liked living on this earth.
(d) Maybe the Science Institute turned him down.
7. What does Dagny notice before leaving Dannager's office?
(a) A plane ticket to Europe.
(b) A note signed by John Galt.
(c) A cigarette butt with the $ sign on it.
(d) A pistol on Dannager's desk.
8. What is Rearden's suggestion to Dagny about giving in to the state?
(a) They must find ways to compromise with the State.
(b) They must hold out as long as they can before complying with the State.
(c) They must find John Galt.
(d) They must destroy their businesses before they let that happen.
9. Why can Dagny not learn the name of the third student at Patrick Henry University according to Dr. Akston?
(a) Nobody really knows who he is.
(b) He went to the university under an assumed name.
(c) The school records were in a fire and his records were lost.
(d) She will only learn it when he chooses to tell her himself.
10. What is the irony of the State Science Institute's demand for 10,000 tons of Rearden Metal?
(a) It needed the metal because it had effectively cut off steel production.
(b) It showed that the Institute had always supported Rearden.
(c) It was trying to restart the economy by keeping Rearden in business.
(d) It had once tried to discredit Rearden Metal.
11. Dr. Potter of the State Science Institute threatens Rearden who pretends not to understand his threats. Why?
(a) If he did, he would have to give Rearden Metal to the government.
(b) If he did, he would take his product off the market.
(c) If he did, he would have to kill Potter.
(d) If he did, he would cancel his business plans.
12. Where does Dagny plan to start the first run of the John Galt Line?
(a) New York, NY
(b) Washington, D. C.
(c) Cheyenne, Wyoming
(d) Denver, Colorado
13. What does Hank Rearden's mother suggest is Phillip's qualification to work for Rearden Metal?
(a) He has the social skills that Hank lacks.
(b) He is Hank's brother.
(c) He holds an engineering degree.
(d) He could get a job anywhere but wants to help his brother.
14. What is Dagny's reaction to Eugene Lawson's claim that his motives were pure at Twentieth Century Motors because he never made a profit?
(a) She accuses him of lying.
(b) She says the idea is despicable.
(c) She praises him for his generosity.
(d) She agrees that the motives were pure.
15. Quentin Daniels is hired to reconstruct the revolutionary motor. What is Quentin's greatest desire.
(a) To create a motor from his own concept.
(b) To meet the man who conceived of the idea of the motor.
(c) To prove the the motor will not work.
(d) To improve the motor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rand mean by the title, "White Blackmail"?
2. At home and in despair, what music is Dagny listening to when she puts down her head and cries?
3. How does the organization, Friends of Global Progress, view Rearden Steel?
4. When Dagny stops at a newsstand buy cigarettes, what is the last thing the vendor says to her?
5. What is the lie that James Taggart tells the Board of Taggert Railroad?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)