|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Hank Rearden, Dagny has had only one lover. She will not tell Rearden his name. Who was he?
(a) Francisco d'Anconia
(b) John Galt
(c) Ragnar Danneskjtzld
(d) Eddie Willers
2. What does Dagny notice before leaving Dannager's office?
(a) A note signed by John Galt.
(b) A cigarette butt with the $ sign on it.
(c) A plane ticket to Europe.
(d) A pistol on Dannager's desk.
3. Dr. Potter of the State Science Institute threatens Rearden who pretends not to understand his threats. Why?
(a) If he did, he would take his product off the market.
(b) If he did, he would have to kill Potter.
(c) If he did, he would have to give Rearden Metal to the government.
(d) If he did, he would cancel his business plans.
4. Quentin Daniels is hired to reconstruct the revolutionary motor. What is Quentin's greatest desire.
(a) To meet the man who conceived of the idea of the motor.
(b) To create a motor from his own concept.
(c) To prove the the motor will not work.
(d) To improve the motor.
5. When the Taggart board and the Washington influence peddlers meet, what is the irony of their meeting place?
(a) It is unheated because of the coal shortages.
(b) It is held in the terminal beneath the statue of Nathaniel Taggart.
(c) It gives complete control of Taggart Transcontinental to the government.
(d) It is in Dagny's office.
6. At the anniversary party, what do Dr. Pritchett, Balph Eubank, and Mort Mort Liddy have in common?
(a) They are all against the Equalization of Opportunity Bill.
(b) The all support the Equalization of Opportunity Bill.
(c) They all know who John Galt is.
(d) They are all capitalists.
7. Why do Hank and Dagny try to find the old Twentieth Century Motor company?
(a) They are looking for a new car.
(b) They are looking for scrap iron.
(c) They are looking for new headquarters for Rearden Metal.
(d) The are looking for usable parts for diesel engines.
8. What is Dagny's reply to Cherryl's comment that she is "the woman in the Taggart family"?
(a) Don't tell my dress maker.
(b) You're welcome to the job.
(c) That's quiet all right. I'm the man.
(d) What am I? Chopped liver?
9. At home and in despair, what music is Dagny listening to when she puts down her head and cries?
(a) Halley's Fourth Concerto
(b) Cry Me a River
(c) Tchaikovski's Symphony Pathetique
(d) Halley's opera,
10. What happens after the disappearance of Wyatt and his vast Colorado oil fields?
(a) Mine owners begin blowing up their mines.
(b) The government reopens the Wyatt oil fields and everything gets back to normal.
(c) Project X provides a new and better fuel.
(d) Small companies cannot supply enough oil to fill the demand.
11. What does Rearden sell off after the bill banning people from owning multiple businesses is passed?
(a) Train engines and coal mines
(b) Iron mines and jewelry manufacturing
(c) Copper mines and freight companies
(d) Copper mines and coal mines
12. What caused Francisco's ancestor out of Spain to Argentina where he became wealthy as a copper miner?
(a) The Spanish Revolution.
(b) The Spanish Inquisition.
(c) The Potato Famine.
(d) The French Revolution.
13. How does Dr. Ferris explain to Rearden the many laws that are being passed by the State?
(a) He says that laws that don't work will eventually be repealed.
(b) There is no other way to rule men than to pass laws that cannot be observed, enforced or interpreted
(c) He says that Rearden just doesn't understand what the laws are saying.
(d) He says the lawmakers do not really know what they are doing.
14. What does "the chain" represent to Henry Rearden?
(a) The demands made on him by an ungrateful family.
(b) The close link he has to his mother.
(c) All his accomplishments after years of hard work.
(d) The only thing that will ever come of Rearden metal.
15. When Hank Rearden learns that the legislature has passed the Equalization of Opportunity Bill, what does he learn from Mouch, his lobbyist in Washington?
(a) Mouch offers to return the money Rearden has paid him.
(b) Mouch says the President will veto the bill.
(c) Nothing. Mouch is not answering his phone.
(d) Mouch tells him that the bill has no penalty written into it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Sternes say they tried to run Twentieth Century Motors?
2. What is Dagny's reaction to Eugene Lawson's claim that his motives were pure at Twentieth Century Motors because he never made a profit?
3. What does Francisco d'Anconia say the socialists will use to replace "the aristocracy of money"?
4. What is the cryptic question that sets the mood of suspense in ATLAS SHRUGGED?
5. What is the result of the government's decision to divert coal to the People's Republic of England?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)