|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the anniversary party, what do Dr. Pritchett, Balph Eubank, and Mort Mort Liddy have in common?
(a) They are all against the Equalization of Opportunity Bill.
(b) The all support the Equalization of Opportunity Bill.
(c) They are all capitalists.
(d) They all know who John Galt is.
2. Why does Dannager refuse to say "Good-bye" to Dagny?
(a) Because he doesn't want her to know his plans.
(b) Because she has no idea that he is leaving.
(c) Because he is glad to be getting away from her.
(d) Because she will join him where he is going one day.
3. What does Rand mean by the title, "White Blackmail"?
(a) Little white lies to get around the laws.
(b) A way of manipulating people by passing aws and regulations that the influence peddlers want broken.
(c) A way of getting people to obey the laws and cooperate with the government.
(d) Not really blackmail at all.
4. What is the cryptic question that sets the mood of suspense in ATLAS SHRUGGED?
(a) Where in the world is Dagny Taggert?
(b) Who is John Galt?
(c) Where have all the flowers gone?
(d) What happened to New York City?
5. Who is the childhood friend of Jim and Dagny who now works for them?
(a) Eddie Willers
(b) John Galt
(c) Hank Rearden
(d) James Ellis Wyatt
6. When Hank Rearden learns that the legislature has passed the Equalization of Opportunity Bill, what does he learn from Mouch, his lobbyist in Washington?
(a) Nothing. Mouch is not answering his phone.
(b) Mouch offers to return the money Rearden has paid him.
(c) Mouch tells him that the bill has no penalty written into it.
(d) Mouch says the President will veto the bill.
7. At home and in despair, what music is Dagny listening to when she puts down her head and cries?
(a) Halley's Fourth Concerto
(b) Halley's opera,
(c) Tchaikovski's Symphony Pathetique
(d) Cry Me a River
8. How does the organization, Friends of Global Progress, view Rearden Steel?
(a) That Rearden Steel will be its largest contributor.
(b) That Rearden represents the blackest element of social retrogression in the country.
(c) That Rearden Steel will one day belong to them.
(d) That it is an indignificant business that will likely fail.
9. What is "the chain"?
(a) The imprisonment of Hank's family.
(b) A bracelet made from the first pouring of Rearden metal.
(c) A means of restraining railroad workers.
(d) The weakest link in Rearden's new metal.
10. What is so revolutionary about the motor that never went into production?
(a) It produces more power than regular engines.
(b) It runs on water.
(c) It requires a totally new factory to build.
(d) It draws its energy from static electricity in the atmosphere.
11. When Dr. Stadler questions why the man who was developing the revolutionary motor was working in a factory research lab, what is Dagny's reply?
(a) He probably came from somewhere around here.
(b) He probably liked living on this earth.
(c) Maybe he couldn't find another place.
(d) Maybe the Science Institute turned him down.
12. What happens after the disappearance of Wyatt and his vast Colorado oil fields?
(a) Small companies cannot supply enough oil to fill the demand.
(b) Mine owners begin blowing up their mines.
(c) Project X provides a new and better fuel.
(d) The government reopens the Wyatt oil fields and everything gets back to normal.
13. What is Dagny's amazing discovery at Twentieth Century Motors?
(a) Plans for a revolutionary motor.
(b) Books on building aircraft.
(c) The address of the chief engineer.
(d) The formula for Rearden metal.
14. What was Francisco's nickname for Dagny when they were children?
15. How did the Sternes say they tried to run Twentieth Century Motors?
(a) By paying the best salaries in the industry.
(b) Never criticizing anyone for a mistake or cost overrun.
(c) Imposing great penalties on those who made mistakes.
(d) From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rand let the reader know that there is a connection between Francisco and Danneskjtzld?
2. How does Dr. Ferris explain to Rearden the many laws that are being passed by the State?
3. What does Rearden say the government needed to win against him.
4. Based on what she knows at the moment, what conclusion does Dagny draw about the disappearance of men like Wyatt?
5. What does Dagny object to about the San Sebastian Line?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)