|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the "Fifth Concerto"?
(a) A composition by Richard Halley.
(b) An undiscovered work my Mozart.
(c) The theme song of the Taggart Transcontinental Railway.
(d) A composition to a dead oak tree.
2. When Dr. Stadler questions why the man who was developing the revolutionary motor was working in a factory research lab, what is Dagny's reply?
(a) Maybe he couldn't find another place.
(b) Maybe the Science Institute turned him down.
(c) He probably liked living on this earth.
(d) He probably came from somewhere around here.
3. Why does Dagny take a leave of absence from her job as Vice President of Operations at Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) To find Francisco and marry him.
(b) To try and localte John Galt.
(c) To supervise and finish the John Galt Line.
(d) To get away to Europe for a vacation.
4. What is the comparison Francisco makes between John Galt and Prometheus?
(a) John Galt has been eaten by vultures and is dead.
(b) John Galt is a Prometheus who changed his mind.
(c) John Galt believes the total end is near for all mankind.
(d) John Galt invented fire.
5. Who is the childhood friend of Jim and Dagny who now works for them?
(a) Hank Rearden
(b) James Ellis Wyatt
(c) Eddie Willers
(d) John Galt
6. What was Francisco's nickname for Dagny when they were children?
7. When Dagny demands that Francisco tell her why Ellis Wyatt will be wiped out in Colorado, why does he refuse to tell her?
(a) He says she is not ready to hear the answer.
(b) He says she already knows.
(c) He says only John Galt knows for sure.
(d) He says he wants to take over the oil industry.
8. How does Rand indicate that Wesley Mouch, Rearden's Washington lobbyist, may not be working in Rearden's interest?
(a) He never goes to his office in Washington.
(b) He cannot get in to see the President of the United States.
(c) He is at a meeting with Dagny and Owen Kellogg.
(d) He is at a meeting with Orren Boyle, James Taggart, and Paul Larkin.
9. What is the surprising question Francisco poses to Dagny at the wedding reception?
(a) Have you met John Galt?
(b) Did you get permission to use John Galt's name on your new railroad line?
(c) Don't you want to tell Lillian about your affair with her husband?
(d) Don't you want to know now: Who is John Galt?
10. James and Cherryl begin their unlikely romance. Where does James meet her?
(a) Friends introduce them.
(b) At the train station.
(c) In a dime store.
(d) At a cocktail party.
11. What prevents Taggart Transcontinental from meeting Rearden's deadline for delivering steel?
(a) The coal miners all go on strike for higher wages.
(b) Danagger refuses to supply coal if it will help Rearden.
(c) The bridge on the Galt Line is blown up.
(d) Danagger Coal cannot supply coal for the trains because its shipment goes to England.
12. How does Rand show James Taggart's opportunism after the success of the John Galt Line?
(a) He takes credit for its success.
(b) He buys more stock in the John Galt Line.
(c) He gives Dagny credit for saving the company.
(d) He decides to build a new line of his own.
13. When Dagny stops at a newsstand buy cigarettes, what is the last thing the vendor says to her?
(a) Oh well, next time I'll save you a paper.
(b) Oh well, you need to stop smoking anyway.
(c) Oh well, we'll have your cigarettes tomorrow.
(d) Oh well, who is John Galt?
14. Rand uses the failure of Twentieth Century Motors to make what point about socialism?
(a) The socialist system allows the greatest minds to get ahead.
(b) It is only fair that everyone make the same salary.
(c) Production increases when everyone shares in the work.
(d) The socialist system only takes from those with ability and gives to others who are less deserving.
15. What is so unusual about the cigarette Dagny gets from Dr. Hugh Akston?
(a) It is rolled in colored paper.
(b) It is marked with a gold dollar sign.
(c) It cannot be lit.
(d) It is made of unusual tobacco.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rand mean by the title, "White Blackmail"?
2. What is the purpose of the party Lillian plans to give in three months?
3. What is the irony of the State Science Institute's demand for 10,000 tons of Rearden Metal?
4. How did the Sternes say they tried to run Twentieth Century Motors?
5. Dr. Potter of the State Science Institute threatens Rearden who pretends not to understand his threats. Why?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)