|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is James Taggart marrying Cherryl Brooks, the dime store clerk?
(a) To prove that communism will not work
(b) To find real happiness
(c) To show that he helps the underpriviliged
(d) To make an honest woman out of her because he got her pregnant
2. What happens after the disappearance of Wyatt and his vast Colorado oil fields?
(a) Mine owners begin blowing up their mines.
(b) Project X provides a new and better fuel.
(c) Small companies cannot supply enough oil to fill the demand.
(d) The government reopens the Wyatt oil fields and everything gets back to normal.
3. How does Bertram Scudder, editor of "The Future" magazine, characterize Hank Rearden?
(a) As an octopus.
(b) As an alligator.
(c) As a great philanthropist.
(d) As a shark.
4. Quentin Daniels is hired to reconstruct the revolutionary motor. What is Quentin's greatest desire.
(a) To improve the motor.
(b) To create a motor from his own concept.
(c) To meet the man who conceived of the idea of the motor.
(d) To prove the the motor will not work.
5. What is the symbolism of Francisco lying on the floor with his arms spread out to his sides?
(a) Making his pain go away.
(b) His dream of flying.
(c) Sacrifice for what he believes in.
(d) His confused state of mind.
6. When Dr. Stadler questions why the man who was developing the revolutionary motor was working in a factory research lab, what is Dagny's reply?
(a) He probably came from somewhere around here.
(b) He probably liked living on this earth.
(c) Maybe he couldn't find another place.
(d) Maybe the Science Institute turned him down.
7. What is Mouch's new job after he resigns as Rearden's Washington lobbyist?
(a) Assistant Editor of
(b) Secretary of the Interior
(c) Vice President of Taggart Transcontinental
(d) Assistant Coordinator of the Bureau of Economic Planning and National Resources
8. Who is the childhood friend of Jim and Dagny who now works for them?
(a) Eddie Willers
(b) Hank Rearden
(c) James Ellis Wyatt
(d) John Galt
9. What is the meaning of "Wyatt's torch"?
(a) Wyatt's threat to destroy the economy by setting fire to Washington.
(b) Wyatt's lighting after his electricity has been shut off.
(c) Wyatt's new flashlight invention.
(d) What is left after Wyatt's destruction of his oil fields.
10. How does Rand use the party to show the superficiality of the communist guests?
(a) They prefer not to talk about politics.
(b) They have not invited any rich industrialists to the party.
(c) They pretend to favor defeat for the the Equalization of Opportunity Bill.
(d) They are all dressed in their finest and wearing flashy jewelry.
11. Based on what she knows at the moment, what conclusion does Dagny draw about the disappearance of men like Wyatt?
(a) She believes there is a destroyer.
(b) She thinks they are being kidnapped by the government.
(c) She believes they are secretly working on her railroad line.
(d) She thinks they are all joining the communist movement.
12. When the Taggart board and the Washington influence peddlers meet, what is the irony of their meeting place?
(a) It is in Dagny's office.
(b) It is unheated because of the coal shortages.
(c) It is held in the terminal beneath the statue of Nathaniel Taggart.
(d) It gives complete control of Taggart Transcontinental to the government.
13. What strange exchange occurs between Dagny and Lillian at he party?
(a) They exchange drinks bacuse Dagny doesn't drink alcohol.
(b) They exchange bracelets, the Rearden Metal bracelet for Dagny's diamond bracelet.
(c) They exchange the names of their dress designers.
(d) They exchange phone numbers so they can meet in New York.
14. What is the real outcome after the court fines Rearden $5,000 and gives him a suspended sentence?
(a) In effect, he has won against the government.
(b) Rearden will have to comply with the government rules.
(c) Lillian's social connections are destroyed.
(d) Other industrialists will go out of business.
15. When Dagny stops at a newsstand buy cigarettes, what is the last thing the vendor says to her?
(a) Oh well, who is John Galt?
(b) Oh well, next time I'll save you a paper.
(c) Oh well, we'll have your cigarettes tomorrow.
(d) Oh well, you need to stop smoking anyway.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused Francisco's ancestor out of Spain to Argentina where he became wealthy as a copper miner?
2. How does Rand show James Taggart's opportunism after the success of the John Galt Line?
3. What was Francisco's nickname for Dagny when they were children?
4. What is the "Fifth Concerto"?
5. What prevents Taggart Transcontinental from meeting Rearden's deadline for delivering steel?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)