|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dagny notice before leaving Dannager's office?
(a) A pistol on Dannager's desk.
(b) A cigarette butt with the $ sign on it.
(c) A plane ticket to Europe.
(d) A note signed by John Galt.
2. Who offers to help Dagny solve the problem of the rotting wooden bridge on her Colorado line?
(a) Francisco d'Anconia
(b) Hank Rearden
(c) Claude Slagenhop
(d) Phillip Rearden
3. Why does Phillip want cash instead of a check for Rearden's contribution to Friends of Global Progress?
(a) He thinks Rearden's check is no good.
(b) He doesn't want them to know that the money came from his capitalist brother.
(c) He wants to pocket half of the cash.
(d) Friends for Global Progress does not accept checks.
4. How old was Francisco when he took over d'Anconia Copper Mines?
5. What strange exchange occurs between Dagny and Lillian at he party?
(a) They exchange bracelets, the Rearden Metal bracelet for Dagny's diamond bracelet.
(b) They exchange phone numbers so they can meet in New York.
(c) They exchange the names of their dress designers.
(d) They exchange drinks bacuse Dagny doesn't drink alcohol.
6. Because of the Equity of Distribution Law, there is now a Deputy Director of Distribution handling all of Rearden Metal's orders. What is his nickname?
(a) The Enforcer
(b) The Wet Nurse
(c) The Terminator
7. What decision does Dagny make when she is nine years old?
(a) To become a fashion model.
(b) To run Taggart Rail Lines.
(c) To marry Eddie Willers.
(d) To study in Paris.
8. What is the symbolism of Francisco lying on the floor with his arms spread out to his sides?
(a) His confused state of mind.
(b) Sacrifice for what he believes in.
(c) Making his pain go away.
(d) His dream of flying.
9. When Dagny demands to be made Vice President in Charge of Operations, what reason does Jim give her for opposing the idea?
(a) Dagny, you're a woman.
(b) Dagny, father never intended for you to work at Taggert.
(c) Dagny, you don't know anything about railroads.
(d) Dagny, you'll get married and leave.
10. How does the organization, Friends of Global Progress, view Rearden Steel?
(a) That Rearden represents the blackest element of social retrogression in the country.
(b) That Rearden Steel will be its largest contributor.
(c) That Rearden Steel will one day belong to them.
(d) That it is an indignificant business that will likely fail.
11. At the anniversary party, what do Dr. Pritchett, Balph Eubank, and Mort Mort Liddy have in common?
(a) They are all against the Equalization of Opportunity Bill.
(b) They all know who John Galt is.
(c) They are all capitalists.
(d) The all support the Equalization of Opportunity Bill.
12. How does Rand use the party to show the superficiality of the communist guests?
(a) They are all dressed in their finest and wearing flashy jewelry.
(b) They prefer not to talk about politics.
(c) They pretend to favor defeat for the the Equalization of Opportunity Bill.
(d) They have not invited any rich industrialists to the party.
13. What does "the chain" represent to Henry Rearden?
(a) The only thing that will ever come of Rearden metal.
(b) The demands made on him by an ungrateful family.
(c) All his accomplishments after years of hard work.
(d) The close link he has to his mother.
14. When Dagny demands that Francisco tell her why Ellis Wyatt will be wiped out in Colorado, why does he refuse to tell her?
(a) He says she already knows.
(b) He says he wants to take over the oil industry.
(c) He says she is not ready to hear the answer.
(d) He says only John Galt knows for sure.
15. What is the image Francisco d'Anconia has in the public eye?
(a) He is a noted philanthropist.
(b) He is a worthless playboy.
(c) He is the diamond king.
(d) He is planning to run for President.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused Francisco's ancestor out of Spain to Argentina where he became wealthy as a copper miner?
2. What is the real outcome after the court fines Rearden $5,000 and gives him a suspended sentence?
3. A theme that runs throughout ATLAS SHRUGGED is one which shows strength and character outside but emptiness and moral corruption inside. What metaphor does Ayn Rand use to illustrate this idea?
4. What is the cryptic question that sets the mood of suspense in ATLAS SHRUGGED?
5. When Hank Rearden learns that the legislature has passed the Equalization of Opportunity Bill, what does he learn from Mouch, his lobbyist in Washington?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)