|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Hank and Dagny try to find the old Twentieth Century Motor company?
(a) They are looking for a new car.
(b) The are looking for usable parts for diesel engines.
(c) They are looking for scrap iron.
(d) They are looking for new headquarters for Rearden Metal.
2. What is so unusual about the cigarette Dagny gets from Dr. Hugh Akston?
(a) It cannot be lit.
(b) It is rolled in colored paper.
(c) It is made of unusual tobacco.
(d) It is marked with a gold dollar sign.
3. Why can Dagny not learn the name of the third student at Patrick Henry University according to Dr. Akston?
(a) He went to the university under an assumed name.
(b) The school records were in a fire and his records were lost.
(c) Nobody really knows who he is.
(d) She will only learn it when he chooses to tell her himself.
4. How does Lillian describe the bracelet?
(a) Something made from the same thing as railroad rails and soup kettles.
(b) As the only gift Hank has ever given her.
(c) As an early anniversary present from Hank.
(d) As a unique piece of jewelry that everyone in New York will envy.
5. What is Owen Kellogg's reply to Dagny when she asks him why he is resigning from Taggert Railway?
(a) Railroads are a thing of the past.
(b) I'm going into business for myself.
(c) Who is John Galt?
(d) You can't pay me what I'm worth.
6. Based on what she knows at the moment, what conclusion does Dagny draw about the disappearance of men like Wyatt?
(a) She thinks they are all joining the communist movement.
(b) She believes they are secretly working on her railroad line.
(c) She believes there is a destroyer.
(d) She thinks they are being kidnapped by the government.
7. What game does Francisco play with the Mexican government and the American stockholders in the San Sebastian Mines?
(a) He knows the mines are worthless and wants to watch them go down with their own greed.
(b) He plays poker with the Mexican President in a winner-take-all game.
(c) He plays charades but no one can guess his subject.
(d) He plays a game of marbles on the hotel room floor.
8. What is Rearden's suggestion to Dagny about giving in to the state?
(a) They must destroy their businesses before they let that happen.
(b) They must find ways to compromise with the State.
(c) They must hold out as long as they can before complying with the State.
(d) They must find John Galt.
9. When Hank Rearden learns that the legislature has passed the Equalization of Opportunity Bill, what does he learn from Mouch, his lobbyist in Washington?
(a) Mouch tells him that the bill has no penalty written into it.
(b) Nothing. Mouch is not answering his phone.
(c) Mouch says the President will veto the bill.
(d) Mouch offers to return the money Rearden has paid him.
10. What happens after the disappearance of Wyatt and his vast Colorado oil fields?
(a) Small companies cannot supply enough oil to fill the demand.
(b) Mine owners begin blowing up their mines.
(c) Project X provides a new and better fuel.
(d) The government reopens the Wyatt oil fields and everything gets back to normal.
11. What does "the chain" represent to Henry Rearden?
(a) The close link he has to his mother.
(b) All his accomplishments after years of hard work.
(c) The demands made on him by an ungrateful family.
(d) The only thing that will ever come of Rearden metal.
12. What is "the chain"?
(a) A means of restraining railroad workers.
(b) A bracelet made from the first pouring of Rearden metal.
(c) The weakest link in Rearden's new metal.
(d) The imprisonment of Hank's family.
13. How does Rand use the party to show the superficiality of the communist guests?
(a) They pretend to favor defeat for the the Equalization of Opportunity Bill.
(b) They are all dressed in their finest and wearing flashy jewelry.
(c) They have not invited any rich industrialists to the party.
(d) They prefer not to talk about politics.
14. What sarcastic comment does Dagny make to James Taggart and Wesley Mouch?
(a) Got what you've been asking for, all these years, gentlemen?
(b) Which one of you is planning to rob a bank?
(c) You tell me how to run a train on bad rails.
(d) What's the point in running a business if there is no profit?
15. What is Dagny's reaction to Eugene Lawson's claim that his motives were pure at Twentieth Century Motors because he never made a profit?
(a) She agrees that the motives were pure.
(b) She says the idea is despicable.
(c) She praises him for his generosity.
(d) She accuses him of lying.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rand indicate that Wesley Mouch, Rearden's Washington lobbyist, may not be working in Rearden's interest?
2. What is the image Francisco d'Anconia has in the public eye?
3. What does Rearden sell off after the bill banning people from owning multiple businesses is passed?
4. At the anniversary party, what do Dr. Pritchett, Balph Eubank, and Mort Mort Liddy have in common?
5. When Dr. Stadler questions why the man who was developing the revolutionary motor was working in a factory research lab, what is Dagny's reply?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)