|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dr. Ferris explain to Rearden the many laws that are being passed by the State?
(a) There is no other way to rule men than to pass laws that cannot be observed, enforced or interpreted
(b) He says the lawmakers do not really know what they are doing.
(c) He says that Rearden just doesn't understand what the laws are saying.
(d) He says that laws that don't work will eventually be repealed.
2. What is Mouch's new job after he resigns as Rearden's Washington lobbyist?
(a) Vice President of Taggart Transcontinental
(b) Assistant Coordinator of the Bureau of Economic Planning and National Resources
(c) Secretary of the Interior
(d) Assistant Editor of
3. Why does Phillip want cash instead of a check for Rearden's contribution to Friends of Global Progress?
(a) Friends for Global Progress does not accept checks.
(b) He wants to pocket half of the cash.
(c) He thinks Rearden's check is no good.
(d) He doesn't want them to know that the money came from his capitalist brother.
4. How old was Francisco when he took over d'Anconia Copper Mines?
5. How does Lillian describe the bracelet?
(a) As a unique piece of jewelry that everyone in New York will envy.
(b) As the only gift Hank has ever given her.
(c) As an early anniversary present from Hank.
(d) Something made from the same thing as railroad rails and soup kettles.
6. What is the cryptic question that sets the mood of suspense in ATLAS SHRUGGED?
(a) Where have all the flowers gone?
(b) Who is John Galt?
(c) What happened to New York City?
(d) Where in the world is Dagny Taggert?
7. What is Rearden's suggestion to Dagny about giving in to the state?
(a) They must hold out as long as they can before complying with the State.
(b) They must find ways to compromise with the State.
(c) They must destroy their businesses before they let that happen.
(d) They must find John Galt.
8. What is so revolutionary about the motor that never went into production?
(a) It produces more power than regular engines.
(b) It runs on water.
(c) It draws its energy from static electricity in the atmosphere.
(d) It requires a totally new factory to build.
9. When Dr. Stadler questions why the man who was developing the revolutionary motor was working in a factory research lab, what is Dagny's reply?
(a) Maybe he couldn't find another place.
(b) He probably came from somewhere around here.
(c) He probably liked living on this earth.
(d) Maybe the Science Institute turned him down.
10. What is the real outcome after the court fines Rearden $5,000 and gives him a suspended sentence?
(a) Lillian's social connections are destroyed.
(b) Other industrialists will go out of business.
(c) Rearden will have to comply with the government rules.
(d) In effect, he has won against the government.
11. How did the Sternes say they tried to run Twentieth Century Motors?
(a) From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
(b) Never criticizing anyone for a mistake or cost overrun.
(c) By paying the best salaries in the industry.
(d) Imposing great penalties on those who made mistakes.
12. How does Rand let the reader know that there is a connection between Francisco and Danneskjtzld?
(a) Francisco tells Rearden that Danneskjtzld is coming to the city.
(b) Francisco offers to introduce Rearden to Danneskjtzld.
(c) Francisco's horror when he learns that Rearden ordered d'Anconia copper.
(d) Francisco does not react when Rearden mentions Danneskjtzld's name.
13. What is Owen Kellogg's reply to Dagny when she asks him why he is resigning from Taggert Railway?
(a) Who is John Galt?
(b) You can't pay me what I'm worth.
(c) Railroads are a thing of the past.
(d) I'm going into business for myself.
14. What was Francisco's nickname for Dagny when they were children?
15. Why do Hank and Dagny try to find the old Twentieth Century Motor company?
(a) They are looking for scrap iron.
(b) The are looking for usable parts for diesel engines.
(c) They are looking for new headquarters for Rearden Metal.
(d) They are looking for a new car.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ayn Rand's objection to majority rule as put forth by the National Alliance of Railroads?
2. What strange exchange occurs between Dagny and Lillian at he party?
3. Who is planning to build diesel engines for Taggart Transcontinental?
4. A theme that runs throughout ATLAS SHRUGGED is one which shows strength and character outside but emptiness and moral corruption inside. What metaphor does Ayn Rand use to illustrate this idea?
5. What does Rand mean by the title, "White Blackmail"?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)