|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dagny object to about the San Sebastian Line?
(a) That the Mexican government will subsidise it.
(b) That it is using Rearden steel rails.
(c) That is was not her idea.
(d) That it is going to help the communist government.
2. A theme that runs throughout ATLAS SHRUGGED is one which shows strength and character outside but emptiness and moral corruption inside. What metaphor does Ayn Rand use to illustrate this idea?
(a) The old oak tree that was struck by lightning.
(b) The engine of a Taggart train.
(c) The flaws in Rearden steel.
(d) The deteriorization of New York City.
3. At the anniversary party, what do Dr. Pritchett, Balph Eubank, and Mort Mort Liddy have in common?
(a) They all know who John Galt is.
(b) They are all against the Equalization of Opportunity Bill.
(c) The all support the Equalization of Opportunity Bill.
(d) They are all capitalists.
4. How does Rand use the marriage of James and Cherryl to make her point against social philosophy?
(a) It shows that poor people do not lack social graces.
(b) Like communism, it is a sham based on lies and deception.
(c) It shows that the rich and the poor are really equal.
(d) It is an improbable love story.
5. How does Rand show James Taggart's opportunism after the success of the John Galt Line?
(a) He takes credit for its success.
(b) He decides to build a new line of his own.
(c) He buys more stock in the John Galt Line.
(d) He gives Dagny credit for saving the company.
6. What sarcastic comment does Dagny make to James Taggart and Wesley Mouch?
(a) Got what you've been asking for, all these years, gentlemen?
(b) What's the point in running a business if there is no profit?
(c) Which one of you is planning to rob a bank?
(d) You tell me how to run a train on bad rails.
7. How old was Francisco when he took over d'Anconia Copper Mines?
8. Who is almost single handedly responsible for opening up trade in Colorado?
(a) Jim Taggart
(b) Hank Rearden
(c) Paul Larkin
(d) Ellis Wyatt
9. What does Rearden say the government needed to win against him.
(a) His cooperation.
(b) His denial of any wrong doing.
(c) His account books.
(d) His civil rights.
10. What is the lie that James Taggart tells the Board of Taggert Railroad?
(a) That the whole thing was Dagny's fault since she wanted the Mexican line.
(b) That Francisco d'Anconia had sold his copper mines to Mexico.
(c) That he foresaw this action, cut the schedule and removed the good equipment from that line.
(d) That he would pay for all the company losses out of his own pocket.
11. Why does Dagny have to wait to get in to see Dannager when she goes to see him before his trial?
(a) Dagny came without an appointment.
(b) There is a mysterious man in his office.
(c) Dannager blames Dagny for his legal problems.
(d) Dannager really does not want to see Dagny.
12. At home and in despair, what music is Dagny listening to when she puts down her head and cries?
(a) Halley's opera,
(b) Cry Me a River
(c) Halley's Fourth Concerto
(d) Tchaikovski's Symphony Pathetique
13. Why are the guests at the party so eager to discuss the capture of Ragnar Danneskjtzld?
(a) Because he is a pirate who seizes relief supplies intended for communist societies.
(b) Because he is the only one who can save socialism.
(c) Because he has a strange name that they don't trust.
(d) Because he is a supporter of the Equalization of Opportunity Bill
14. At the Thanksgiving dinner, why does Lillian urge Hank not to fight the lawsuit?
(a) She says he cannot win.
(b) She says he will win if he does not present a case.
(c) She says he will damage her socially.
(d) She says they will assassinate him.
15. What is Ayn Rand's objection to majority rule as put forth by the National Alliance of Railroads?
(a) It puts decision making in the hands of uneducted people.
(b) It can be used to stifle competition, capitalism, and individualism.
(c) It does not go far enough to protect everyone.
(d) It is not a true socialist idea.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dannager refuse to say "Good-bye" to Dagny?
2. When a reporter asks Dagny, "Who is John Galt?" what is her answer?
3. Why is James Taggart marrying Cherryl Brooks, the dime store clerk?
4. What is Rearden's suggestion to Dagny about giving in to the state?
5. What is Dagny's amazing discovery at Twentieth Century Motors?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)