Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the Thanksgiving dinner, why does Lillian urge Hank not to fight the lawsuit?
(a) She says they will assassinate him.
(b) She says he cannot win.
(c) She says he will win if he does not present a case.
(d) She says he will damage her socially.
2. What strange exchange occurs between Dagny and Lillian at he party?
(a) They exchange bracelets, the Rearden Metal bracelet for Dagny's diamond bracelet.
(b) They exchange phone numbers so they can meet in New York.
(c) They exchange drinks bacuse Dagny doesn't drink alcohol.
(d) They exchange the names of their dress designers.
3. What is Rearden's suggestion to Dagny about giving in to the state?
(a) They must find John Galt.
(b) They must hold out as long as they can before complying with the State.
(c) They must destroy their businesses before they let that happen.
(d) They must find ways to compromise with the State.
4. What did the National Alliance of Railroads pass to eliminate competition?
(a) Anti-dog-eat-dog Rule
(b) Every man for himself Rule
(c) Local and Transcontinental Rule
(d) Anti-cooperation Rule
5. What does Rearden sell off after the bill banning people from owning multiple businesses is passed?
(a) Copper mines and freight companies
(b) Iron mines and jewelry manufacturing
(c) Train engines and coal mines
(d) Copper mines and coal mines
6. How does Bertram Scudder, editor of "The Future" magazine, characterize Hank Rearden?
(a) As a great philanthropist.
(b) As an octopus.
(c) As an alligator.
(d) As a shark.
7. What is "the chain"?
(a) The imprisonment of Hank's family.
(b) The weakest link in Rearden's new metal.
(c) A bracelet made from the first pouring of Rearden metal.
(d) A means of restraining railroad workers.
8. Before Hank Rearden, Dagny has had only one lover. She will not tell Rearden his name. Who was he?
(a) Eddie Willers
(b) Ragnar Danneskjtzld
(c) Francisco d'Anconia
(d) John Galt
9. What was Francisco's nickname for Dagny when they were children?
10. How did the Sternes say they tried to run Twentieth Century Motors?
(a) Imposing great penalties on those who made mistakes.
(b) From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
(c) By paying the best salaries in the industry.
(d) Never criticizing anyone for a mistake or cost overrun.
11. Why do Hank and Dagny try to find the old Twentieth Century Motor company?
(a) The are looking for usable parts for diesel engines.
(b) They are looking for new headquarters for Rearden Metal.
(c) They are looking for scrap iron.
(d) They are looking for a new car.
12. How does the organization, Friends of Global Progress, view Rearden Steel?
(a) That Rearden Steel will one day belong to them.
(b) That Rearden represents the blackest element of social retrogression in the country.
(c) That it is an indignificant business that will likely fail.
(d) That Rearden Steel will be its largest contributor.
13. Why can Dagny not learn the name of the third student at Patrick Henry University according to Dr. Akston?
(a) She will only learn it when he chooses to tell her himself.
(b) The school records were in a fire and his records were lost.
(c) He went to the university under an assumed name.
(d) Nobody really knows who he is.
14. What news does James Taggart receive that Dagny had predicted?
(a) The US government is nationalizing all industry.
(b) Rearden refusus to supply metal for any railroad rails.
(c) The Mexican line is out of coal and must burn wood to run the trains.
(d) The Mexican Government has nationalized the San Sebastian Mine and the Taggart railroad line
15. Why is James Taggart marrying Cherryl Brooks, the dime store clerk?
(a) To make an honest woman out of her because he got her pregnant
(b) To find real happiness
(c) To show that he helps the underpriviliged
(d) To prove that communism will not work
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ayn Rand's objection to majority rule as put forth by the National Alliance of Railroads?
2. What does Rearden say the government needed to win against him.
3. How does the government plan to conserve copper and electricity?
4. Why does Dagny have to wait to get in to see Dannager when she goes to see him before his trial?
5. How does Lillian describe the bracelet?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)