|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dr. Stadler talks about having known John Galt who he believes is dead. What is his recollection of Galt?
(a) Galt was the brains behind the revolutionary motor.
(b) Galt was an insurrectionist and trouble maker.
(c) Galt was an early leader of the communist movement.
(d) Galt had the most brilliant mind he had ever encountered.
2. Based on what she knows at the moment, what conclusion does Dagny draw about the disappearance of men like Wyatt?
(a) She believes they are secretly working on her railroad line.
(b) She believes there is a destroyer.
(c) She thinks they are being kidnapped by the government.
(d) She thinks they are all joining the communist movement.
3. How did the Sternes say they tried to run Twentieth Century Motors?
(a) From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
(b) Never criticizing anyone for a mistake or cost overrun.
(c) By paying the best salaries in the industry.
(d) Imposing great penalties on those who made mistakes.
4. A theme that runs throughout ATLAS SHRUGGED is one which shows strength and character outside but emptiness and moral corruption inside. What metaphor does Ayn Rand use to illustrate this idea?
(a) The deteriorization of New York City.
(b) The old oak tree that was struck by lightning.
(c) The flaws in Rearden steel.
(d) The engine of a Taggart train.
5. James and Cherryl begin their unlikely romance. Where does James meet her?
(a) At the train station.
(b) At a cocktail party.
(c) In a dime store.
(d) Friends introduce them.
6. Why does Dagny take a leave of absence from her job as Vice President of Operations at Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) To find Francisco and marry him.
(b) To try and localte John Galt.
(c) To supervise and finish the John Galt Line.
(d) To get away to Europe for a vacation.
7. At the anniversary party, what do Dr. Pritchett, Balph Eubank, and Mort Mort Liddy have in common?
(a) They are all against the Equalization of Opportunity Bill.
(b) They are all capitalists.
(c) They all know who John Galt is.
(d) The all support the Equalization of Opportunity Bill.
8. Where does Dagny plan to start the first run of the John Galt Line?
(a) New York, NY
(b) Denver, Colorado
(c) Washington, D. C.
(d) Cheyenne, Wyoming
9. What does Rearden say the government needed to win against him.
(a) His cooperation.
(b) His civil rights.
(c) His denial of any wrong doing.
(d) His account books.
10. What is Dagny's reply to Cherryl's comment that she is "the woman in the Taggart family"?
(a) Don't tell my dress maker.
(b) You're welcome to the job.
(c) What am I? Chopped liver?
(d) That's quiet all right. I'm the man.
11. Atlas is the Greek god who holds the world on his shoulders. In the novel, who is "Atlas"?
(a) The common people.
(b) The National Alliance of Railroads
(c) Industrialists like Dagny and Rearden
(d) Billionaires like Francisco d'Anconia.
12. What does Francisco d'Anconia say the socialists will use to replace "the aristocracy of money"?
(a) The aristocracy of influence.
(b) The destruction of all aristocracy
(c) The commonality of all men
(d) The aristocracy of everyone
13. What is the image Francisco d'Anconia has in the public eye?
(a) He is planning to run for President.
(b) He is the diamond king.
(c) He is a noted philanthropist.
(d) He is a worthless playboy.
14. What is the meaning of "Wyatt's torch"?
(a) Wyatt's lighting after his electricity has been shut off.
(b) Wyatt's threat to destroy the economy by setting fire to Washington.
(c) What is left after Wyatt's destruction of his oil fields.
(d) Wyatt's new flashlight invention.
15. What does Rand mean by the title, "White Blackmail"?
(a) A way of manipulating people by passing aws and regulations that the influence peddlers want broken.
(b) Little white lies to get around the laws.
(c) A way of getting people to obey the laws and cooperate with the government.
(d) Not really blackmail at all.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the result of the government's decision to divert coal to the People's Republic of England?
2. What news does James Taggart receive that Dagny had predicted?
3. What was Francisco's nickname for Dagny when they were children?
4. Who offers to help Dagny solve the problem of the rotting wooden bridge on her Colorado line?
5. Why is James Taggart marrying Cherryl Brooks, the dime store clerk?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)