|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Francisco when he took over d'Anconia Copper Mines?
2. What is the "Fifth Concerto"?
(a) An undiscovered work my Mozart.
(b) A composition to a dead oak tree.
(c) A composition by Richard Halley.
(d) The theme song of the Taggart Transcontinental Railway.
3. At the Thanksgiving dinner, why does Lillian urge Hank not to fight the lawsuit?
(a) She says he will damage her socially.
(b) She says he will win if he does not present a case.
(c) She says he cannot win.
(d) She says they will assassinate him.
4. What does Dagny notice before leaving Dannager's office?
(a) A plane ticket to Europe.
(b) A note signed by John Galt.
(c) A cigarette butt with the $ sign on it.
(d) A pistol on Dannager's desk.
5. What does Hank Rearden's mother suggest is Phillip's qualification to work for Rearden Metal?
(a) He holds an engineering degree.
(b) He could get a job anywhere but wants to help his brother.
(c) He is Hank's brother.
(d) He has the social skills that Hank lacks.
6. How does Dr. Ferris explain to Rearden the many laws that are being passed by the State?
(a) There is no other way to rule men than to pass laws that cannot be observed, enforced or interpreted
(b) He says the lawmakers do not really know what they are doing.
(c) He says that Rearden just doesn't understand what the laws are saying.
(d) He says that laws that don't work will eventually be repealed.
7. How did the Sternes say they tried to run Twentieth Century Motors?
(a) Never criticizing anyone for a mistake or cost overrun.
(b) Imposing great penalties on those who made mistakes.
(c) From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
(d) By paying the best salaries in the industry.
8. What is the surprising question Francisco poses to Dagny at the wedding reception?
(a) Did you get permission to use John Galt's name on your new railroad line?
(b) Have you met John Galt?
(c) Don't you want to tell Lillian about your affair with her husband?
(d) Don't you want to know now: Who is John Galt?
9. Why will Amalgamated Switch and Signal Company not complete Dagny's order for switches and signals on the Colorado line?
(a) They believe she cannot pay for the items.
(b) Too many people are opposed to Rearden metal.
(c) They cannot get the steel they need.
(d) They made a deal with Jim Taggart not to supply the equipment.
10. Because of the Equity of Distribution Law, there is now a Deputy Director of Distribution handling all of Rearden Metal's orders. What is his nickname?
(a) The Terminator
(b) The Enforcer
(d) The Wet Nurse
11. What does Dagny object to about the San Sebastian Line?
(a) That the Mexican government will subsidise it.
(b) That is was not her idea.
(c) That it is going to help the communist government.
(d) That it is using Rearden steel rails.
12. What is the irony of the State Science Institute's demand for 10,000 tons of Rearden Metal?
(a) It was trying to restart the economy by keeping Rearden in business.
(b) It showed that the Institute had always supported Rearden.
(c) It needed the metal because it had effectively cut off steel production.
(d) It had once tried to discredit Rearden Metal.
13. What is Dagny's amazing discovery at Twentieth Century Motors?
(a) The formula for Rearden metal.
(b) Books on building aircraft.
(c) Plans for a revolutionary motor.
(d) The address of the chief engineer.
14. When Dr. Stadler questions why the man who was developing the revolutionary motor was working in a factory research lab, what is Dagny's reply?
(a) He probably came from somewhere around here.
(b) Maybe the Science Institute turned him down.
(c) Maybe he couldn't find another place.
(d) He probably liked living on this earth.
15. Based on what she knows at the moment, what conclusion does Dagny draw about the disappearance of men like Wyatt?
(a) She thinks they are all joining the communist movement.
(b) She believes there is a destroyer.
(c) She believes they are secretly working on her railroad line.
(d) She thinks they are being kidnapped by the government.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the organization, Friends of Global Progress, view Rearden Steel?
2. When a reporter asks Dagny, "Who is John Galt?" what is her answer?
3. Why are the guests at the party so eager to discuss the capture of Ragnar Danneskjtzld?
4. What is the real outcome after the court fines Rearden $5,000 and gives him a suspended sentence?
5. What game does Francisco play with the Mexican government and the American stockholders in the San Sebastian Mines?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)