|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rand uses the failure of Twentieth Century Motors to make what point about socialism?
(a) It is only fair that everyone make the same salary.
(b) The socialist system only takes from those with ability and gives to others who are less deserving.
(c) The socialist system allows the greatest minds to get ahead.
(d) Production increases when everyone shares in the work.
2. What does Rearden sell off after the bill banning people from owning multiple businesses is passed?
(a) Iron mines and jewelry manufacturing
(b) Copper mines and freight companies
(c) Train engines and coal mines
(d) Copper mines and coal mines
3. What is the irony of the State Science Institute's demand for 10,000 tons of Rearden Metal?
(a) It was trying to restart the economy by keeping Rearden in business.
(b) It showed that the Institute had always supported Rearden.
(c) It needed the metal because it had effectively cut off steel production.
(d) It had once tried to discredit Rearden Metal.
4. What strange exchange occurs between Dagny and Lillian at he party?
(a) They exchange the names of their dress designers.
(b) They exchange phone numbers so they can meet in New York.
(c) They exchange drinks bacuse Dagny doesn't drink alcohol.
(d) They exchange bracelets, the Rearden Metal bracelet for Dagny's diamond bracelet.
5. How does the organization, Friends of Global Progress, view Rearden Steel?
(a) That Rearden Steel will be its largest contributor.
(b) That Rearden represents the blackest element of social retrogression in the country.
(c) That Rearden Steel will one day belong to them.
(d) That it is an indignificant business that will likely fail.
6. What does Rand mean by the title, "White Blackmail"?
(a) A way of getting people to obey the laws and cooperate with the government.
(b) A way of manipulating people by passing aws and regulations that the influence peddlers want broken.
(c) Little white lies to get around the laws.
(d) Not really blackmail at all.
7. What is the meaning of "Wyatt's torch"?
(a) Wyatt's new flashlight invention.
(b) Wyatt's threat to destroy the economy by setting fire to Washington.
(c) Wyatt's lighting after his electricity has been shut off.
(d) What is left after Wyatt's destruction of his oil fields.
8. What is the problem Rearden sees in any government that professes to run by committee for the "public good."
(a) The moral purity of a committee cannot know what the public good is.
(b) It favors industrialists who create jobs for the public.
(c) The committees are selected by popular vote.
(d) There is no morality of right and wrong involved.
9. At the Thanksgiving dinner, why does Lillian urge Hank not to fight the lawsuit?
(a) She says they will assassinate him.
(b) She says he will win if he does not present a case.
(c) She says he cannot win.
(d) She says he will damage her socially.
10. What is the result of the government's decision to divert coal to the People's Republic of England?
(a) People have to wait for needed food to arrive.
(b) Rearden Metal wins the contract to ship the steel.
(c) Project X has to be put on hold.
(d) Produce from the West coast is held up for 3 days and everything spoils.
11. What is the comparison Francisco makes between John Galt and Prometheus?
(a) John Galt has been eaten by vultures and is dead.
(b) John Galt believes the total end is near for all mankind.
(c) John Galt is a Prometheus who changed his mind.
(d) John Galt invented fire.
12. Who is planning to build diesel engines for Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) Francisco d'Anconia
(b) Eddie Willers
(c) Dwight Sanders
(d) Henry Rearden
13. What happens after the disappearance of Wyatt and his vast Colorado oil fields?
(a) Mine owners begin blowing up their mines.
(b) Project X provides a new and better fuel.
(c) Small companies cannot supply enough oil to fill the demand.
(d) The government reopens the Wyatt oil fields and everything gets back to normal.
14. When Dr. Stadler questions why the man who was developing the revolutionary motor was working in a factory research lab, what is Dagny's reply?
(a) He probably came from somewhere around here.
(b) He probably liked living on this earth.
(c) Maybe he couldn't find another place.
(d) Maybe the Science Institute turned him down.
15. Who offers to help Dagny solve the problem of the rotting wooden bridge on her Colorado line?
(a) Francisco d'Anconia
(b) Claude Slagenhop
(c) Phillip Rearden
(d) Hank Rearden
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is almost single handedly responsible for opening up trade in Colorado?
2. What does Phillip want to leave Henry's house?
3. What is the purpose of the party Lillian plans to give in three months?
4. Why can Dagny not learn the name of the third student at Patrick Henry University according to Dr. Akston?
5. What does Dagny object to about the San Sebastian Line?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)