|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is so unusual about the cigarette Dagny gets from Dr. Hugh Akston?
(a) It is made of unusual tobacco.
(b) It is marked with a gold dollar sign.
(c) It is rolled in colored paper.
(d) It cannot be lit.
2. What is the meaning of "Wyatt's torch"?
(a) What is left after Wyatt's destruction of his oil fields.
(b) Wyatt's new flashlight invention.
(c) Wyatt's threat to destroy the economy by setting fire to Washington.
(d) Wyatt's lighting after his electricity has been shut off.
3. How does Rand use the marriage of James and Cherryl to make her point against social philosophy?
(a) Like communism, it is a sham based on lies and deception.
(b) It shows that poor people do not lack social graces.
(c) It is an improbable love story.
(d) It shows that the rich and the poor are really equal.
4. When a reporter asks Dagny, "Who is John Galt?" what is her answer?
(a) We are.
(b) An advertising gimmick.
(c) Who cares?
(d) I'll never tell.
5. What does Dagny notice before leaving Dannager's office?
(a) A plane ticket to Europe.
(b) A cigarette butt with the $ sign on it.
(c) A note signed by John Galt.
(d) A pistol on Dannager's desk.
6. At the Thanksgiving dinner, why does Lillian urge Hank not to fight the lawsuit?
(a) She says he cannot win.
(b) She says they will assassinate him.
(c) She says he will damage her socially.
(d) She says he will win if he does not present a case.
7. What is the purpose of the party Lillian plans to give in three months?
(a) A celebration of Rearden metal.
(b) A fund raiser for underprivileged children.
(c) Their social obligation to Dagny Taggart.
(d) Their wedding anniversary.
8. What is the symbolism of Francisco lying on the floor with his arms spread out to his sides?
(a) Sacrifice for what he believes in.
(b) His dream of flying.
(c) Making his pain go away.
(d) His confused state of mind.
9. What did the National Alliance of Railroads pass to eliminate competition?
(a) Local and Transcontinental Rule
(b) Every man for himself Rule
(c) Anti-cooperation Rule
(d) Anti-dog-eat-dog Rule
10. Before Hank Rearden, Dagny has had only one lover. She will not tell Rearden his name. Who was he?
(a) Ragnar Danneskjtzld
(b) Francisco d'Anconia
(c) John Galt
(d) Eddie Willers
11. James and Cherryl begin their unlikely romance. Where does James meet her?
(a) At the train station.
(b) In a dime store.
(c) Friends introduce them.
(d) At a cocktail party.
12. Because of the Equity of Distribution Law, there is now a Deputy Director of Distribution handling all of Rearden Metal's orders. What is his nickname?
(a) The Enforcer
(c) The Wet Nurse
(d) The Terminator
13. What is the lie that James Taggart tells the Board of Taggert Railroad?
(a) That he would pay for all the company losses out of his own pocket.
(b) That Francisco d'Anconia had sold his copper mines to Mexico.
(c) That the whole thing was Dagny's fault since she wanted the Mexican line.
(d) That he foresaw this action, cut the schedule and removed the good equipment from that line.
14. What is Ayn Rand's objection to majority rule as put forth by the National Alliance of Railroads?
(a) It is not a true socialist idea.
(b) It puts decision making in the hands of uneducted people.
(c) It can be used to stifle competition, capitalism, and individualism.
(d) It does not go far enough to protect everyone.
15. Why can Dagny not learn the name of the third student at Patrick Henry University according to Dr. Akston?
(a) She will only learn it when he chooses to tell her himself.
(b) He went to the university under an assumed name.
(c) The school records were in a fire and his records were lost.
(d) Nobody really knows who he is.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rearden sell off after the bill banning people from owning multiple businesses is passed?
2. What was Francisco's nickname for Dagny when they were children?
3. What is the real outcome after the court fines Rearden $5,000 and gives him a suspended sentence?
4. What is Owen Kellogg's reply to Dagny when she asks him why he is resigning from Taggert Railway?
5. Who offers to help Dagny solve the problem of the rotting wooden bridge on her Colorado line?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)