|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rand use the party to show the superficiality of the communist guests?
(a) They prefer not to talk about politics.
(b) They are all dressed in their finest and wearing flashy jewelry.
(c) They have not invited any rich industrialists to the party.
(d) They pretend to favor defeat for the the Equalization of Opportunity Bill.
2. At home and in despair, what music is Dagny listening to when she puts down her head and cries?
(a) Halley's opera,
(b) Halley's Fourth Concerto
(c) Cry Me a River
(d) Tchaikovski's Symphony Pathetique
3. What game does Francisco play with the Mexican government and the American stockholders in the San Sebastian Mines?
(a) He plays charades but no one can guess his subject.
(b) He knows the mines are worthless and wants to watch them go down with their own greed.
(c) He plays poker with the Mexican President in a winner-take-all game.
(d) He plays a game of marbles on the hotel room floor.
4. What is the real outcome after the court fines Rearden $5,000 and gives him a suspended sentence?
(a) Rearden will have to comply with the government rules.
(b) In effect, he has won against the government.
(c) Other industrialists will go out of business.
(d) Lillian's social connections are destroyed.
5. Who is planning to build diesel engines for Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) Dwight Sanders
(b) Henry Rearden
(c) Francisco d'Anconia
(d) Eddie Willers
6. At the Thanksgiving dinner, why does Lillian urge Hank not to fight the lawsuit?
(a) She says he will damage her socially.
(b) She says they will assassinate him.
(c) She says he cannot win.
(d) She says he will win if he does not present a case.
7. Why does Dannager refuse to say "Good-bye" to Dagny?
(a) Because she will join him where he is going one day.
(b) Because he doesn't want her to know his plans.
(c) Because she has no idea that he is leaving.
(d) Because he is glad to be getting away from her.
8. What is "the chain"?
(a) A means of restraining railroad workers.
(b) The imprisonment of Hank's family.
(c) The weakest link in Rearden's new metal.
(d) A bracelet made from the first pouring of Rearden metal.
9. When a reporter asks Dagny, "Who is John Galt?" what is her answer?
(a) We are.
(b) I'll never tell.
(c) Who cares?
(d) An advertising gimmick.
10. What is the "Fifth Concerto"?
(a) A composition to a dead oak tree.
(b) An undiscovered work my Mozart.
(c) The theme song of the Taggart Transcontinental Railway.
(d) A composition by Richard Halley.
11. A theme that runs throughout ATLAS SHRUGGED is one which shows strength and character outside but emptiness and moral corruption inside. What metaphor does Ayn Rand use to illustrate this idea?
(a) The deteriorization of New York City.
(b) The flaws in Rearden steel.
(c) The engine of a Taggart train.
(d) The old oak tree that was struck by lightning.
12. What is Dagny's reaction to Eugene Lawson's claim that his motives were pure at Twentieth Century Motors because he never made a profit?
(a) She praises him for his generosity.
(b) She accuses him of lying.
(c) She agrees that the motives were pure.
(d) She says the idea is despicable.
13. How does Lillian describe the bracelet?
(a) Something made from the same thing as railroad rails and soup kettles.
(b) As a unique piece of jewelry that everyone in New York will envy.
(c) As an early anniversary present from Hank.
(d) As the only gift Hank has ever given her.
14. Why does Phillip want cash instead of a check for Rearden's contribution to Friends of Global Progress?
(a) Friends for Global Progress does not accept checks.
(b) He wants to pocket half of the cash.
(c) He thinks Rearden's check is no good.
(d) He doesn't want them to know that the money came from his capitalist brother.
15. Before Hank Rearden, Dagny has had only one lover. She will not tell Rearden his name. Who was he?
(a) Francisco d'Anconia
(b) John Galt
(c) Ragnar Danneskjtzld
(d) Eddie Willers
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Potter of the State Science Institute threatens Rearden who pretends not to understand his threats. Why?
2. Quentin Daniels is hired to reconstruct the revolutionary motor. What is Quentin's greatest desire.
3. When Dagny demands to be made Vice President in Charge of Operations, what reason does Jim give her for opposing the idea?
4. Rand uses the failure of Twentieth Century Motors to make what point about socialism?
5. What is Mouch's new job after he resigns as Rearden's Washington lobbyist?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)