|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Atlas is the Greek god who holds the world on his shoulders. In the novel, who is "Atlas"?
(a) The common people.
(b) The National Alliance of Railroads
(c) Industrialists like Dagny and Rearden
(d) Billionaires like Francisco d'Anconia.
2. How does Rand use the party to show the superficiality of the communist guests?
(a) They have not invited any rich industrialists to the party.
(b) They pretend to favor defeat for the the Equalization of Opportunity Bill.
(c) They prefer not to talk about politics.
(d) They are all dressed in their finest and wearing flashy jewelry.
3. How does the organization, Friends of Global Progress, view Rearden Steel?
(a) That Rearden Steel will one day belong to them.
(b) That Rearden Steel will be its largest contributor.
(c) That it is an indignificant business that will likely fail.
(d) That Rearden represents the blackest element of social retrogression in the country.
4. What is the comparison Francisco makes between John Galt and Prometheus?
(a) John Galt invented fire.
(b) John Galt is a Prometheus who changed his mind.
(c) John Galt has been eaten by vultures and is dead.
(d) John Galt believes the total end is near for all mankind.
5. What is Ayn Rand's objection to majority rule as put forth by the National Alliance of Railroads?
(a) It does not go far enough to protect everyone.
(b) It is not a true socialist idea.
(c) It can be used to stifle competition, capitalism, and individualism.
(d) It puts decision making in the hands of uneducted people.
6. How does Bertram Scudder, editor of "The Future" magazine, characterize Hank Rearden?
(a) As a great philanthropist.
(b) As an alligator.
(c) As an octopus.
(d) As a shark.
7. What does "the chain" represent to Henry Rearden?
(a) The close link he has to his mother.
(b) The demands made on him by an ungrateful family.
(c) All his accomplishments after years of hard work.
(d) The only thing that will ever come of Rearden metal.
8. How did the Sternes say they tried to run Twentieth Century Motors?
(a) Never criticizing anyone for a mistake or cost overrun.
(b) By paying the best salaries in the industry.
(c) Imposing great penalties on those who made mistakes.
(d) From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
9. When Hank Rearden learns that the legislature has passed the Equalization of Opportunity Bill, what does he learn from Mouch, his lobbyist in Washington?
(a) Mouch tells him that the bill has no penalty written into it.
(b) Mouch says the President will veto the bill.
(c) Mouch offers to return the money Rearden has paid him.
(d) Nothing. Mouch is not answering his phone.
10. What is Dagny's amazing discovery at Twentieth Century Motors?
(a) Plans for a revolutionary motor.
(b) Books on building aircraft.
(c) The formula for Rearden metal.
(d) The address of the chief engineer.
11. Why does Dagny take a leave of absence from her job as Vice President of Operations at Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) To get away to Europe for a vacation.
(b) To try and localte John Galt.
(c) To supervise and finish the John Galt Line.
(d) To find Francisco and marry him.
12. What does Dagny object to about the San Sebastian Line?
(a) That it is using Rearden steel rails.
(b) That is was not her idea.
(c) That the Mexican government will subsidise it.
(d) That it is going to help the communist government.
13. How does Rand let the reader know that there is a connection between Francisco and Danneskjtzld?
(a) Francisco offers to introduce Rearden to Danneskjtzld.
(b) Francisco does not react when Rearden mentions Danneskjtzld's name.
(c) Francisco tells Rearden that Danneskjtzld is coming to the city.
(d) Francisco's horror when he learns that Rearden ordered d'Anconia copper.
14. At the party, James Taggart demands that Francisco explain why the San Sebastian mines are worthless. What is Francisco's ironic reply?
(a) He says the mines are not worthless bacuse they contain silver.
(b) He says he gave them the mines to do with as they pleased.
(c) He says he wanted to contribute to the Mexican economy.
(d) He says he gave them the wrong location because he knew what they would do.
15. Quentin Daniels is hired to reconstruct the revolutionary motor. What is Quentin's greatest desire.
(a) To improve the motor.
(b) To create a motor from his own concept.
(c) To meet the man who conceived of the idea of the motor.
(d) To prove the the motor will not work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dagny's reaction to Eugene Lawson's claim that his motives were pure at Twentieth Century Motors because he never made a profit?
2. Dr. Stadler talks about having known John Galt who he believes is dead. What is his recollection of Galt?
3. Why does Phillip want cash instead of a check for Rearden's contribution to Friends of Global Progress?
4. What does Rand mean by the title, "White Blackmail"?
5. Because of the Equity of Distribution Law, there is now a Deputy Director of Distribution handling all of Rearden Metal's orders. What is his nickname?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)