|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rand show James Taggart's opportunism after the success of the John Galt Line?
(a) He gives Dagny credit for saving the company.
(b) He decides to build a new line of his own.
(c) He buys more stock in the John Galt Line.
(d) He takes credit for its success.
2. What is the problem Rearden sees in any government that professes to run by committee for the "public good."
(a) There is no morality of right and wrong involved.
(b) The moral purity of a committee cannot know what the public good is.
(c) The committees are selected by popular vote.
(d) It favors industrialists who create jobs for the public.
3. How did the Sternes say they tried to run Twentieth Century Motors?
(a) By paying the best salaries in the industry.
(b) Never criticizing anyone for a mistake or cost overrun.
(c) From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
(d) Imposing great penalties on those who made mistakes.
4. Dr. Stadler talks about having known John Galt who he believes is dead. What is his recollection of Galt?
(a) Galt was an insurrectionist and trouble maker.
(b) Galt was the brains behind the revolutionary motor.
(c) Galt had the most brilliant mind he had ever encountered.
(d) Galt was an early leader of the communist movement.
5. What is "the chain"?
(a) The imprisonment of Hank's family.
(b) A bracelet made from the first pouring of Rearden metal.
(c) The weakest link in Rearden's new metal.
(d) A means of restraining railroad workers.
6. James and Cherryl begin their unlikely romance. Where does James meet her?
(a) At the train station.
(b) In a dime store.
(c) At a cocktail party.
(d) Friends introduce them.
7. What caused Francisco's ancestor out of Spain to Argentina where he became wealthy as a copper miner?
(a) The Spanish Inquisition.
(b) The Spanish Revolution.
(c) The French Revolution.
(d) The Potato Famine.
8. What is so revolutionary about the motor that never went into production?
(a) It requires a totally new factory to build.
(b) It draws its energy from static electricity in the atmosphere.
(c) It produces more power than regular engines.
(d) It runs on water.
9. Where does Dagny plan to start the first run of the John Galt Line?
(a) Washington, D. C.
(b) Denver, Colorado
(c) Cheyenne, Wyoming
(d) New York, NY
10. Why can Dagny not learn the name of the third student at Patrick Henry University according to Dr. Akston?
(a) The school records were in a fire and his records were lost.
(b) He went to the university under an assumed name.
(c) Nobody really knows who he is.
(d) She will only learn it when he chooses to tell her himself.
11. What is Owen Kellogg's reply to Dagny when she asks him why he is resigning from Taggert Railway?
(a) Who is John Galt?
(b) I'm going into business for myself.
(c) You can't pay me what I'm worth.
(d) Railroads are a thing of the past.
12. What game does Francisco play with the Mexican government and the American stockholders in the San Sebastian Mines?
(a) He plays a game of marbles on the hotel room floor.
(b) He knows the mines are worthless and wants to watch them go down with their own greed.
(c) He plays poker with the Mexican President in a winner-take-all game.
(d) He plays charades but no one can guess his subject.
13. Who is the childhood friend of Jim and Dagny who now works for them?
(a) Hank Rearden
(b) Eddie Willers
(c) James Ellis Wyatt
(d) John Galt
14. How does the organization, Friends of Global Progress, view Rearden Steel?
(a) That it is an indignificant business that will likely fail.
(b) That Rearden Steel will be its largest contributor.
(c) That Rearden Steel will one day belong to them.
(d) That Rearden represents the blackest element of social retrogression in the country.
15. What is Ayn Rand's objection to majority rule as put forth by the National Alliance of Railroads?
(a) It is not a true socialist idea.
(b) It can be used to stifle competition, capitalism, and individualism.
(c) It puts decision making in the hands of uneducted people.
(d) It does not go far enough to protect everyone.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the government plan to conserve copper and electricity?
2. What prevents Taggart Transcontinental from meeting Rearden's deadline for delivering steel?
3. Who is planning to build diesel engines for Taggart Transcontinental?
4. What is the meaning of "Wyatt's torch"?
5. What does "the chain" represent to Henry Rearden?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)