|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Dagny stops at a newsstand buy cigarettes, what is the last thing the vendor says to her?
(a) Oh well, next time I'll save you a paper.
(b) Oh well, you need to stop smoking anyway.
(c) Oh well, we'll have your cigarettes tomorrow.
(d) Oh well, who is John Galt?
2. Dr. Stadler talks about having known John Galt who he believes is dead. What is his recollection of Galt?
(a) Galt was an insurrectionist and trouble maker.
(b) Galt was an early leader of the communist movement.
(c) Galt was the brains behind the revolutionary motor.
(d) Galt had the most brilliant mind he had ever encountered.
3. What is Dagny's reaction to Eugene Lawson's claim that his motives were pure at Twentieth Century Motors because he never made a profit?
(a) She accuses him of lying.
(b) She agrees that the motives were pure.
(c) She says the idea is despicable.
(d) She praises him for his generosity.
4. What is the problem Rearden sees in any government that professes to run by committee for the "public good."
(a) The moral purity of a committee cannot know what the public good is.
(b) There is no morality of right and wrong involved.
(c) The committees are selected by popular vote.
(d) It favors industrialists who create jobs for the public.
5. What is Owen Kellogg's reply to Dagny when she asks him why he is resigning from Taggert Railway?
(a) Railroads are a thing of the past.
(b) I'm going into business for myself.
(c) Who is John Galt?
(d) You can't pay me what I'm worth.
6. At home and in despair, what music is Dagny listening to when she puts down her head and cries?
(a) Halley's opera,
(b) Halley's Fourth Concerto
(c) Cry Me a River
(d) Tchaikovski's Symphony Pathetique
7. What is so unusual about the cigarette Dagny gets from Dr. Hugh Akston?
(a) It is rolled in colored paper.
(b) It cannot be lit.
(c) It is made of unusual tobacco.
(d) It is marked with a gold dollar sign.
8. What is the purpose of the party Lillian plans to give in three months?
(a) A celebration of Rearden metal.
(b) A fund raiser for underprivileged children.
(c) Their social obligation to Dagny Taggart.
(d) Their wedding anniversary.
9. Because of the Equity of Distribution Law, there is now a Deputy Director of Distribution handling all of Rearden Metal's orders. What is his nickname?
(a) The Wet Nurse
(b) The Terminator
(c) The Enforcer
10. Dr. Potter of the State Science Institute threatens Rearden who pretends not to understand his threats. Why?
(a) If he did, he would take his product off the market.
(b) If he did, he would have to kill Potter.
(c) If he did, he would cancel his business plans.
(d) If he did, he would have to give Rearden Metal to the government.
11. How does Rand use the marriage of James and Cherryl to make her point against social philosophy?
(a) It shows that poor people do not lack social graces.
(b) It is an improbable love story.
(c) It shows that the rich and the poor are really equal.
(d) Like communism, it is a sham based on lies and deception.
12. Why does Dagny have to wait to get in to see Dannager when she goes to see him before his trial?
(a) Dannager blames Dagny for his legal problems.
(b) There is a mysterious man in his office.
(c) Dannager really does not want to see Dagny.
(d) Dagny came without an appointment.
13. How does the government plan to conserve copper and electricity?
(a) Using zinc and wind power.
(b) Limiting elevators from going higher than the 25th floor of a building.
(c) Recalling all the copper shipped before d'Anconia ships were sunk.
(d) Melting down pennies and ordering blackouts.
14. What did the National Alliance of Railroads pass to eliminate competition?
(a) Every man for himself Rule
(b) Local and Transcontinental Rule
(c) Anti-dog-eat-dog Rule
(d) Anti-cooperation Rule
15. What is the irony of the State Science Institute's demand for 10,000 tons of Rearden Metal?
(a) It needed the metal because it had effectively cut off steel production.
(b) It had once tried to discredit Rearden Metal.
(c) It showed that the Institute had always supported Rearden.
(d) It was trying to restart the economy by keeping Rearden in business.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game does Francisco play with the Mexican government and the American stockholders in the San Sebastian Mines?
2. When Dagny demands that Francisco tell her why Ellis Wyatt will be wiped out in Colorado, why does he refuse to tell her?
3. What caused Francisco's ancestor out of Spain to Argentina where he became wealthy as a copper miner?
4. At the Thanksgiving dinner, why does Lillian urge Hank not to fight the lawsuit?
5. Why will Amalgamated Switch and Signal Company not complete Dagny's order for switches and signals on the Colorado line?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)