|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rand show James Taggart's opportunism after the success of the John Galt Line?
(a) He buys more stock in the John Galt Line.
(b) He decides to build a new line of his own.
(c) He gives Dagny credit for saving the company.
(d) He takes credit for its success.
2. Dr. Potter of the State Science Institute threatens Rearden who pretends not to understand his threats. Why?
(a) If he did, he would have to kill Potter.
(b) If he did, he would take his product off the market.
(c) If he did, he would cancel his business plans.
(d) If he did, he would have to give Rearden Metal to the government.
3. When Hank Rearden learns that the legislature has passed the Equalization of Opportunity Bill, what does he learn from Mouch, his lobbyist in Washington?
(a) Mouch says the President will veto the bill.
(b) Nothing. Mouch is not answering his phone.
(c) Mouch offers to return the money Rearden has paid him.
(d) Mouch tells him that the bill has no penalty written into it.
4. What is the lie that James Taggart tells the Board of Taggert Railroad?
(a) That he foresaw this action, cut the schedule and removed the good equipment from that line.
(b) That Francisco d'Anconia had sold his copper mines to Mexico.
(c) That he would pay for all the company losses out of his own pocket.
(d) That the whole thing was Dagny's fault since she wanted the Mexican line.
5. What is the comparison Francisco makes between John Galt and Prometheus?
(a) John Galt has been eaten by vultures and is dead.
(b) John Galt believes the total end is near for all mankind.
(c) John Galt invented fire.
(d) John Galt is a Prometheus who changed his mind.
6. What is the meaning of "Wyatt's torch"?
(a) Wyatt's threat to destroy the economy by setting fire to Washington.
(b) Wyatt's lighting after his electricity has been shut off.
(c) Wyatt's new flashlight invention.
(d) What is left after Wyatt's destruction of his oil fields.
7. What strange exchange occurs between Dagny and Lillian at he party?
(a) They exchange bracelets, the Rearden Metal bracelet for Dagny's diamond bracelet.
(b) They exchange the names of their dress designers.
(c) They exchange phone numbers so they can meet in New York.
(d) They exchange drinks bacuse Dagny doesn't drink alcohol.
8. What is the surprising question Francisco poses to Dagny at the wedding reception?
(a) Don't you want to know now: Who is John Galt?
(b) Have you met John Galt?
(c) Did you get permission to use John Galt's name on your new railroad line?
(d) Don't you want to tell Lillian about your affair with her husband?
9. What did the National Alliance of Railroads pass to eliminate competition?
(a) Anti-cooperation Rule
(b) Anti-dog-eat-dog Rule
(c) Local and Transcontinental Rule
(d) Every man for himself Rule
10. Why does Dagny have to wait to get in to see Dannager when she goes to see him before his trial?
(a) Dannager blames Dagny for his legal problems.
(b) Dagny came without an appointment.
(c) Dannager really does not want to see Dagny.
(d) There is a mysterious man in his office.
11. What is Ayn Rand's objection to majority rule as put forth by the National Alliance of Railroads?
(a) It puts decision making in the hands of uneducted people.
(b) It does not go far enough to protect everyone.
(c) It is not a true socialist idea.
(d) It can be used to stifle competition, capitalism, and individualism.
12. What does Rearden sell off after the bill banning people from owning multiple businesses is passed?
(a) Copper mines and freight companies
(b) Copper mines and coal mines
(c) Train engines and coal mines
(d) Iron mines and jewelry manufacturing
13. Why can Dagny not learn the name of the third student at Patrick Henry University according to Dr. Akston?
(a) She will only learn it when he chooses to tell her himself.
(b) The school records were in a fire and his records were lost.
(c) Nobody really knows who he is.
(d) He went to the university under an assumed name.
14. Why does Dagny take a leave of absence from her job as Vice President of Operations at Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) To get away to Europe for a vacation.
(b) To find Francisco and marry him.
(c) To supervise and finish the John Galt Line.
(d) To try and localte John Galt.
15. What is so revolutionary about the motor that never went into production?
(a) It runs on water.
(b) It requires a totally new factory to build.
(c) It produces more power than regular engines.
(d) It draws its energy from static electricity in the atmosphere.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dr. Stadler questions why the man who was developing the revolutionary motor was working in a factory research lab, what is Dagny's reply?
2. At home and in despair, what music is Dagny listening to when she puts down her head and cries?
3. What happens after the disappearance of Wyatt and his vast Colorado oil fields?
4. What does Hank Rearden's mother suggest is Phillip's qualification to work for Rearden Metal?
5. Who is the childhood friend of Jim and Dagny who now works for them?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)