|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "the chain" represent to Henry Rearden?
(a) The demands made on him by an ungrateful family.
(b) The close link he has to his mother.
(c) The only thing that will ever come of Rearden metal.
(d) All his accomplishments after years of hard work.
2. At the anniversary party, what do Dr. Pritchett, Balph Eubank, and Mort Mort Liddy have in common?
(a) The all support the Equalization of Opportunity Bill.
(b) They are all capitalists.
(c) They all know who John Galt is.
(d) They are all against the Equalization of Opportunity Bill.
3. At the party, James Taggart demands that Francisco explain why the San Sebastian mines are worthless. What is Francisco's ironic reply?
(a) He says he gave them the mines to do with as they pleased.
(b) He says he gave them the wrong location because he knew what they would do.
(c) He says the mines are not worthless bacuse they contain silver.
(d) He says he wanted to contribute to the Mexican economy.
4. What did the National Alliance of Railroads pass to eliminate competition?
(a) Local and Transcontinental Rule
(b) Anti-dog-eat-dog Rule
(c) Every man for himself Rule
(d) Anti-cooperation Rule
5. What prevents Taggart Transcontinental from meeting Rearden's deadline for delivering steel?
(a) Danagger refuses to supply coal if it will help Rearden.
(b) Danagger Coal cannot supply coal for the trains because its shipment goes to England.
(c) The bridge on the Galt Line is blown up.
(d) The coal miners all go on strike for higher wages.
6. What is so revolutionary about the motor that never went into production?
(a) It runs on water.
(b) It requires a totally new factory to build.
(c) It produces more power than regular engines.
(d) It draws its energy from static electricity in the atmosphere.
7. What does Rearden sell off after the bill banning people from owning multiple businesses is passed?
(a) Copper mines and coal mines
(b) Copper mines and freight companies
(c) Train engines and coal mines
(d) Iron mines and jewelry manufacturing
8. What is the irony of the State Science Institute's demand for 10,000 tons of Rearden Metal?
(a) It showed that the Institute had always supported Rearden.
(b) It was trying to restart the economy by keeping Rearden in business.
(c) It needed the metal because it had effectively cut off steel production.
(d) It had once tried to discredit Rearden Metal.
9. What is "the chain"?
(a) A bracelet made from the first pouring of Rearden metal.
(b) The imprisonment of Hank's family.
(c) A means of restraining railroad workers.
(d) The weakest link in Rearden's new metal.
10. Who is almost single handedly responsible for opening up trade in Colorado?
(a) Ellis Wyatt
(b) Jim Taggart
(c) Paul Larkin
(d) Hank Rearden
11. What is Owen Kellogg's reply to Dagny when she asks him why he is resigning from Taggert Railway?
(a) I'm going into business for myself.
(b) Railroads are a thing of the past.
(c) You can't pay me what I'm worth.
(d) Who is John Galt?
12. What does Dagny object to about the San Sebastian Line?
(a) That it is going to help the communist government.
(b) That the Mexican government will subsidise it.
(c) That is was not her idea.
(d) That it is using Rearden steel rails.
13. Dr. Stadler talks about having known John Galt who he believes is dead. What is his recollection of Galt?
(a) Galt was an insurrectionist and trouble maker.
(b) Galt had the most brilliant mind he had ever encountered.
(c) Galt was an early leader of the communist movement.
(d) Galt was the brains behind the revolutionary motor.
14. What strange exchange occurs between Dagny and Lillian at he party?
(a) They exchange the names of their dress designers.
(b) They exchange bracelets, the Rearden Metal bracelet for Dagny's diamond bracelet.
(c) They exchange phone numbers so they can meet in New York.
(d) They exchange drinks bacuse Dagny doesn't drink alcohol.
15. What was Francisco's nickname for Dagny when they were children?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is James Taggart marrying Cherryl Brooks, the dime store clerk?
2. How does Rand indicate that Wesley Mouch, Rearden's Washington lobbyist, may not be working in Rearden's interest?
3. Based on what she knows at the moment, what conclusion does Dagny draw about the disappearance of men like Wyatt?
4. When a reporter asks Dagny, "Who is John Galt?" what is her answer?
5. What caused Francisco's ancestor out of Spain to Argentina where he became wealthy as a copper miner?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)