|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is James Taggart marrying Cherryl Brooks, the dime store clerk?
(a) To show that he helps the underpriviliged
(b) To prove that communism will not work
(c) To make an honest woman out of her because he got her pregnant
(d) To find real happiness
2. What is the cryptic question that sets the mood of suspense in ATLAS SHRUGGED?
(a) Where in the world is Dagny Taggert?
(b) What happened to New York City?
(c) Who is John Galt?
(d) Where have all the flowers gone?
3. What does Dagny notice before leaving Dannager's office?
(a) A note signed by John Galt.
(b) A pistol on Dannager's desk.
(c) A cigarette butt with the $ sign on it.
(d) A plane ticket to Europe.
4. When Dagny demands to be made Vice President in Charge of Operations, what reason does Jim give her for opposing the idea?
(a) Dagny, father never intended for you to work at Taggert.
(b) Dagny, you'll get married and leave.
(c) Dagny, you're a woman.
(d) Dagny, you don't know anything about railroads.
5. At the party, James Taggart demands that Francisco explain why the San Sebastian mines are worthless. What is Francisco's ironic reply?
(a) He says he gave them the mines to do with as they pleased.
(b) He says he wanted to contribute to the Mexican economy.
(c) He says he gave them the wrong location because he knew what they would do.
(d) He says the mines are not worthless bacuse they contain silver.
6. What does Rearden sell off after the bill banning people from owning multiple businesses is passed?
(a) Copper mines and coal mines
(b) Copper mines and freight companies
(c) Iron mines and jewelry manufacturing
(d) Train engines and coal mines
7. Atlas is the Greek god who holds the world on his shoulders. In the novel, who is "Atlas"?
(a) The National Alliance of Railroads
(b) The common people.
(c) Billionaires like Francisco d'Anconia.
(d) Industrialists like Dagny and Rearden
8. Who is almost single handedly responsible for opening up trade in Colorado?
(a) Paul Larkin
(b) Ellis Wyatt
(c) Hank Rearden
(d) Jim Taggart
9. What decision does Dagny make when she is nine years old?
(a) To marry Eddie Willers.
(b) To run Taggart Rail Lines.
(c) To study in Paris.
(d) To become a fashion model.
10. Why does Dagny have to wait to get in to see Dannager when she goes to see him before his trial?
(a) There is a mysterious man in his office.
(b) Dagny came without an appointment.
(c) Dannager really does not want to see Dagny.
(d) Dannager blames Dagny for his legal problems.
11. What does Francisco d'Anconia say the socialists will use to replace "the aristocracy of money"?
(a) The commonality of all men
(b) The aristocracy of influence.
(c) The destruction of all aristocracy
(d) The aristocracy of everyone
12. What does "the chain" represent to Henry Rearden?
(a) All his accomplishments after years of hard work.
(b) The close link he has to his mother.
(c) The only thing that will ever come of Rearden metal.
(d) The demands made on him by an ungrateful family.
13. What happens after the disappearance of Wyatt and his vast Colorado oil fields?
(a) The government reopens the Wyatt oil fields and everything gets back to normal.
(b) Project X provides a new and better fuel.
(c) Mine owners begin blowing up their mines.
(d) Small companies cannot supply enough oil to fill the demand.
14. What is the surprising question Francisco poses to Dagny at the wedding reception?
(a) Did you get permission to use John Galt's name on your new railroad line?
(b) Don't you want to tell Lillian about your affair with her husband?
(c) Have you met John Galt?
(d) Don't you want to know now: Who is John Galt?
15. What prevents Taggart Transcontinental from meeting Rearden's deadline for delivering steel?
(a) The coal miners all go on strike for higher wages.
(b) The bridge on the Galt Line is blown up.
(c) Danagger Coal cannot supply coal for the trains because its shipment goes to England.
(d) Danagger refuses to supply coal if it will help Rearden.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the childhood friend of Jim and Dagny who now works for them?
2. What is the image Francisco d'Anconia has in the public eye?
3. Why does Dannager refuse to say "Good-bye" to Dagny?
4. How does the organization, Friends of Global Progress, view Rearden Steel?
5. At the Thanksgiving dinner, why does Lillian urge Hank not to fight the lawsuit?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)