|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 1 "The Man Who Belonged on Earth".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Francisco's nickname for Dagny when they were children?
2. Who is almost single handedly responsible for opening up trade in Colorado?
(a) Ellis Wyatt
(b) Hank Rearden
(c) Paul Larkin
(d) Jim Taggart
3. What is Ayn Rand's objection to majority rule as put forth by the National Alliance of Railroads?
(a) It can be used to stifle competition, capitalism, and individualism.
(b) It is not a true socialist idea.
(c) It puts decision making in the hands of uneducted people.
(d) It does not go far enough to protect everyone.
4. What strange exchange occurs between Dagny and Lillian at he party?
(a) They exchange bracelets, the Rearden Metal bracelet for Dagny's diamond bracelet.
(b) They exchange phone numbers so they can meet in New York.
(c) They exchange drinks bacuse Dagny doesn't drink alcohol.
(d) They exchange the names of their dress designers.
5. Dr. Potter of the State Science Institute threatens Rearden who pretends not to understand his threats. Why?
(a) If he did, he would have to give Rearden Metal to the government.
(b) If he did, he would have to kill Potter.
(c) If he did, he would take his product off the market.
(d) If he did, he would cancel his business plans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is so unusual about the cigarette Dagny gets from Dr. Hugh Akston?
2. What show of support does Dagny get from employees of Taggart Transcontinental?
3. How does Bertram Scudder, editor of "The Future" magazine, characterize Hank Rearden?
4. A theme that runs throughout ATLAS SHRUGGED is one which shows strength and character outside but emptiness and moral corruption inside. What metaphor does Ayn Rand use to illustrate this idea?
5. When Dagny demands to be made Vice President in Charge of Operations, what reason does Jim give her for opposing the idea?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)