|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 7 "The Exploiters and the Exploited".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is almost single handedly responsible for opening up trade in Colorado?
(a) Jim Taggart
(b) Paul Larkin
(c) Hank Rearden
(d) Ellis Wyatt
2. What does "the chain" represent to Henry Rearden?
(a) All his accomplishments after years of hard work.
(b) The only thing that will ever come of Rearden metal.
(c) The close link he has to his mother.
(d) The demands made on him by an ungrateful family.
3. What decision does Dagny make when she is nine years old?
(a) To become a fashion model.
(b) To study in Paris.
(c) To marry Eddie Willers.
(d) To run Taggart Rail Lines.
4. What is the lie that James Taggart tells the Board of Taggert Railroad?
(a) That the whole thing was Dagny's fault since she wanted the Mexican line.
(b) That he foresaw this action, cut the schedule and removed the good equipment from that line.
(c) That Francisco d'Anconia had sold his copper mines to Mexico.
(d) That he would pay for all the company losses out of his own pocket.
5. Atlas is the Greek god who holds the world on his shoulders. In the novel, who is "Atlas"?
(a) The National Alliance of Railroads
(b) The common people.
(c) Industrialists like Dagny and Rearden
(d) Billionaires like Francisco d'Anconia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dagny take a leave of absence from her job as Vice President of Operations at Taggart Transcontinental?
2. What is the symbolism of Francisco lying on the floor with his arms spread out to his sides?
3. What news does James Taggart receive that Dagny had predicted?
4. What does Dagny object to about the San Sebastian Line?
5. Why will Amalgamated Switch and Signal Company not complete Dagny's order for switches and signals on the Colorado line?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)