Objective: The student will explain how a simple question such as "Who is John Galt?" is a literary device to hold the attention of the reader. The student will describe the conditions in New York under a communistic regime at the beginning of the novel.
1) 1. Teacher led discussion of the opposing ideologies in ATLAS SHRUGGED (i.e., giving everything over to a central power to distribute equally versus the free enterprise of people producing and receiving the rewards for their efforts.)
2. The teacher will play a recording of a concerto to give the students an idea of how the novel is written like the elements of the concerto.
1. Read chapters 1 and 2 and be prepared to discuss them in class.
2. Look over carefully Owen Kellogg's resignation. Think about his final answer, "Who is John Galt?" How does that make you feel?
3. Be prepared to discuss Rearden Metal...
This section contains 6,014 words
(approx. 21 pages at 300 words per page)