|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Fool when he touches the girl on the dragon with his magic fingers?
2. What does Fool ask Fitz?
3. What does Verity decide Fitz must do to help the land?
4. What Duchy have the Red Ship raiders gone past by Chapter 37?
5. Why hasn't Regal fought the raiders?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in Chapter 39 when Fitz is fighting Will and Regal's army?
2. Who comes to visit Fitz often and what does she bring him?
3. What happened when Fitz was overcome by Regal in the Skill?
4. In Chapter 29, what did the narrator say about something Kettle taught Fitz to give him protection from Skill?
5. What does Fitz reflect upon and what do he and Nighteyes do? How does Fitz feel about all that has happened?
6. What did Kettricken tell Fitz about Starling in Chapter 29?
7. What happens with Queen Kettricken after Verity saves the kingdom, with the Fool and with Chade?
8. Where does Fool follow Fitz, what does he ask and then what happens? What is Fitz's response?
9. What type of animal did the group see when they crossed some stream in their journey?
10. What does Verity and Kettle finish and how does Verity feel about it? How does the entire group feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Assassin's Quest falls in the genre called fantasy. Discuss the following:
1. What is the definition of genre? Fantasy genre? How do you know Assassin's Quest falls in the genre of fantasy? Give examples.
2. Other than entertainment, why do you think people might read fantasy?
3. Fantasy is sometimes considered second-rate fiction--i.e., that it is not good enough to be studied in academe. Why do you think this is true? Do you think it is a valid argument?
Essay Topic 2
Surrounded by an old woman, a man who has been a jester and who now makes toys, and two women, Nighteyes and Fitz seem to be going into this fight as the only warriors. Only hope and belief in the power of good over evil carries the reader into the next and most critical chapters of the novel.
1. Based on what you have seen of Queen Kettricken in Assassin's Quest, would you think she would not be called a warrior? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Although the Fool was the King's jester, it was obvious that in secret he is something else and the king loved and respected him. Why do you think the Fool keeps his abilities hidden? Discuss what kind of character a person would have that he would be willing to be known as a Fool for the sake of the greater good, yet obviously is a very intelligent and capable person.
3. Do you believe in real life hope and the belief in the power of good have any real effect on a person's life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The narrator describes the magic of Skill, which is a trait passed along royal bloodlines. A person who can Skill is able to communicate from afar and even influence the thoughts of others. One of the side effects is that it is addictive and can reduce the person to an idiot if indulged in for too long.
1. Discuss the advantages a person might have if she/he had the magic of Skilling. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What types of immoral uses might an unscrupulous person use of the magic the Skill? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. If the Skill was a magic that existed in the United States in the twenty-first century, what types of laws and regulations do you think would arise surrounding its use?
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)