|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wants to follow the Queen and Fitz?
2. What happens to Fitz on the pulley barge as it crosses the river?
3. For whom did Chivalry abdicate the throne?
4. What does Fitz see Molly doing in a dream?
5. Who does Fitz decide to be in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 15, what does the narrator tell of Kettricken and her search for her husband?
2. How does Fitz get captured while he is traveling with a caravan and how does he escape?
3. According to the narrator, what is the geography and industry of Buck Duchy?
4. What does Lord Bright realize when the Red Ships have taken Bearns and what does he do?
5. What is Fitz's plan for getting into Regal's residence?
6. What does the narrator explain about the Wit in Chapter 5?
7. What did the Queen decide about Fitz's daughter and how did he feel? Why did he give into it?
8. Who does Fitz see in a cage and why are they there?
9. What did the narrator say about the Mountain Kingdom in Chapter 23?
10. How does Kettricken feel when she hears about Verity and what does she do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 34, the title refers to an unfinished sculpture at the mouth of the quarry, where a woman was ready to pour her heart into the stone dragon to make it come alive but cannot bear to give up her own shape as well. She was not willing to sacrifice her beautiful body for the greater good.
1. Discuss the emotional trauma the girl on the dragon must have felt as she went only half-way with her project. How might her situation be similar to one where someone is too afraid of dying to pull a victim from a burning car?
2. When considering that one loses not only their own body but their entire life as they know it to enliven a stone dragon, do you think the girl was weak-willed not to finish her job? Why or why not?
3. Considering that the girl on the dragon still lost all that was her life, even though she went only half-way and was not used for the greater good, can you see that she gained anything by her half-way effort? Do you think this illustrates any truth about general endeavors in life?
Essay Topic 2
The narrator explains the magic of Wit, that bonds a human with an animal. The bond is only between a specific animal and a specific human, and they have become brothers or pack members.
1. Discuss the advantages a person might have if she/he had the magic of Wit. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. What types of immoral uses might an unscrupulous person use of the magic the Wit? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. If the Wit was a magic that existed in the United States in the twenty-first century, what types of laws and regulations do you think would arise surrounding its use?
Essay Topic 3
Queen Kettricken pulls Fitz aside and tells him Starling is jealous of the time Fitz is spending with the Fool, as Starling continues to believe Fool is actually a woman.
1. Do you think Starling has a right to be jealous of the Fool? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss the behaviors of the Fool that leads Starling to believe he is a woman. Which ones are stereotypes of gender behavior? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Explain the problems with jealous in such a small group that is already facing many dangers and frustrations. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)