|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author points out that while people feel 'ritual' is a scary word, we all have personal _________ associated with every human expression.
2. All animals with _________ of any kind have connections to the European knights of medieval lore.
3. Unlike most birds whose bones are filled with air, the loon's bones are ___________.
4. During the winter sleep of a bear, its _______ shut down completely and scientists are studying why.
5. The sense of __________ is a strong stimulant to the sex drive, especially in armadillos, but in all species.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Andrews point out about the differentiation between animals and humans in the modern world?
2. Are cats considered to be high maintenance, according to the author's description of house cats?
3. What are two of the ways in which a person might be able to call an animal totem to himself?
4. What is the status of the turkey vulture - is it a scavenger or a predator when it's out in the wild?
5. What does Andrews say is the uncanny ability of the bobcat as an animal totem?
6. What is one of the reasons why turkey vultures seem to have such odd heads?
7. While some might call domestic horses 'broken,' what is the other explanation that some have for these horses?
8. Why does Andrews believe the vulture to be a patient hunter? What qualities does the vulture have?
9. What does it mean when Andrews talks about the idea of an animal being transitory in nature?
10. What are the two species which Andrews describes in terms of their mouse catching abilities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of predator and prey is brought up in the opening section of the book, but it's said to be more complicated than it seems.
Part 1: How would you describe the relationship between predator and prey?
Part 2: Why do you think the author believes the relationship is more complicated than it seems? Do you agree?
Part 3: Do you believe that the relationship between predator and prey is an important one to explore?
Essay Topic 2
A fetish is a talisman in which a person can focus his or her power for personal transformation.
Part 1: Do you have any personal talismans that you use right now? What are they?
Part 2: Do you agree that you can focus personal power into an inanimate object? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a person infuses power into an object? How might you do this?
Essay Topic 3
The power of animals is something the author assumes when writing this book - and as a result assumes the reader believes too.
Part 1: How do you feel about the power of animals in your daily life?
Part 2: Do you think it's reasonable to believe that animals have messages to relate to us?
Part 3: Why do you think the author believes strongly in the power of animals and their messages?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)