|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are John Adam's last words factually incorrect?
2. How many slaves does Jefferson free in his will?
3. In what tradition does Jefferson regard all political power as inherently corrupting?
4. What do today's scholars know about this time in Jefferson's life?
5. Where is Jefferson the most popular historical figure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do historians verify in the 1950s?
2. Why does Jefferson make the Louisiana Purchase?
3. Why is Jefferson's second term in office less successful than his first?
4. How are Jefferson's views of slavery at this point in his life?
5. Of what aspects of our culture and government would Jefferson approve?
6. What is ironic about Jefferson's approval of the separation of church and state?
7. Why does Jefferson retreat to Poplar Forest?
8. What happens between Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton?
9. Who are the last two surviving Founding Fathers, and how are they treated?
10. How does Jefferson spend his retirement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jefferson is chosen to write the Declaration of Independence.
Part 1) Two pamphlets are considered the rough drafts of the Declaration of Independence. What are the names of these pamphlets? Describe them.
Part 2) Why is he chosen to write the Declaration of Independence?
Part 3) How accurate is much of the information in the Declaration of Independence prior to editing? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
To Jefferson everything is black or white.
Part 1) Give examples from the text that prove this.
Part 2) Why do you believe he hates compromise?
Part 3) How does this aspect of his personality affect his life and relationships?
Essay Topic 3
Jefferson writes the Declaration of independence.
Part 1) How long does it take Jefferson to write the Declaration of Independence?
Part 2) Why might it have taken him this amount of time to write it?
Part 3) By what and whom is he inspired? Why?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)