|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How would Jefferson feel about increased military might?
2. What legacy of Jefferson's lives on?
3. Who is Sally Hemings?
4. For what does Jefferson owe $10,000 his first year as president?
5. As president, from what does Jefferson suffer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ellis feel about the accusations that Jefferson has an illicit affair with his slave, Sally Hemings?
2. Of what aspects of our culture and government would Jefferson disapprove?
3. What is the most enduring scandal of Jefferson's life?
4. Although Jefferson believes that slavery should be abolished, what does he feel about the issue of equality?
5. How does Jefferson's arrival in Washington, D.C., differ from his arrivals in Philadelphia and Paris?
6. How do Jefferson and Adams begin to reconcile their friendship?
7. What does John Adams mean by "Thomas Jefferson lives"?
8. What role does James Callender play in this scandal?
9. What do historians verify in the 1950s?
10. Who are the last two surviving Founding Fathers, and how are they treated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jefferson writes the Declaration of independence.
Part 1) How long does it take Jefferson to write the Declaration of Independence?
Part 2) Why might it have taken him this amount of time to write it?
Part 3) By what and whom is he inspired? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The building of Monticello is one decision that shapes Jefferson's entire life.
Part 1) How does it shape his life?
Part 2) How does this home reflect his views on the ideal life?
Part 3) How does it contradict his views of slavery?
Essay Topic 3
Jefferson loves his wife, but he finds a woman who is a rare equal.
Part 1) Who is this woman?
Part 2) How is she the equal of Jefferson?
Part 3) What type of relationship do these two have?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)