|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What small parade precedes him to the Capitol?
2. Who reports the information about Elizabeth Walker with accuracy?
3. What does everyone expect of President Thomas Jefferson?
4. What pattern do his days at Monticello follow?
5. Jefferson is a follower of Jesus but for what does he not have respect?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why will scholars still be arguing about Jefferson's legacies well into the 22nd century?
2. Who are the last two surviving Founding Fathers, and how are they treated?
3. How does Madison Hemings back the claim that Jefferson had an illicit affair with Sally Hemings?
4. What do historians verify in the 1950s?
5. How does Jefferson spend his retirement?
6. Of what aspects of our culture and government would Jefferson disapprove?
7. What is remarkable about the deaths of Jefferson and Adams?
8. How is Jefferson's public speaking as president?
9. Why does Ellis believe this affair is out of Jefferson's character?
10. Why does Jefferson retreat to Poplar Forest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jefferson arrives in Philadelphia and Paris in luxury with a lot of pomp.
Part 1) Why does he choose to enter in this fashion?
Part 2) How does this flashy lifestyle contradict his views?
Part 3) His entrance to Washington, D.C. is very different from that of Philadelphia and Paris. How is it different? Why?
Essay Topic 2
An accusation that historians still debate to this day is that of the relationship between Jefferson and Sally Hemings.
Part 1) Of what is he accused?
Part 2) What is the evidence of the relationship?
Part 3) Character flaws are a part of humanity. Why do scholars, historians, and the general public still debate this relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Jefferson hates to have his work edited.
Part 1) What works of Jefferson's mentioned in the text are edited?
Part 2) Why are they edited?
Part 3) How does he handle having his works edited?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)