|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what change in the U.S. would Jefferson disapprove?
2. Within the scholarly world what is the consensus regarding the story about Jefferson and Sally Hemings?
3. How does Ellis describe Jefferson regarding his sexual energy?
4. How is Jefferson's arrival in Washington, D.C?
5. Why does Jefferson agree with the separation of church and state?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jefferson and Adams begin to reconcile their friendship?
2. What has happened to Jefferson's and Adam' friendship?
3. Why does Jefferson retreat to Poplar Forest?
4. Of what aspects of our culture and government would Jefferson disapprove?
5. Why is Jefferson accused, inaccurately, of being an atheist?
6. How does Ellis feel about the accusations that Jefferson has an illicit affair with his slave, Sally Hemings?
7. What is ironic about Jefferson's approval of the separation of church and state?
8. Why is Jefferson's second term in office less successful than his first?
9. Why does Jefferson make the Louisiana Purchase?
10. Of what aspects of our culture and government would Jefferson approve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jefferson dies in debt.
Part 1) How does he find himself in debt?
Part 2) What does he do to get out of debt?
Part 3) Why does he have a difficult time changing his lifestyle to get out of debt?
Essay Topic 2
Jefferson very publicly becomes a Francophone while in Paris.
Part 1) What is a Francophone?
Part 2) Why and how is Jefferson a Francophone?
Part 3) How does it affect his opinion of the French?
Essay Topic 3
Jefferson idealizes nature.
Part 1) What does he believe about the natural world?
Part 2) What examples from the text show he idealizes nature?
Part 3) Is he correct in his belief? Why or why not?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)