|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jefferson say to Elizabeth Walker's husband?
2. Who does Jefferson tell his daughter Martha is the father of Sally's children?
3. Within the scholarly world what is the consensus regarding the story about Jefferson and Sally Hemings?
4. When is there an increase in U.S. military might?
5. In what tradition does Jefferson regard all political power as inherently corrupting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the most enduring scandal of Jefferson's life?
2. How do Jefferson and Adams begin to reconcile their friendship?
3. What does Jefferson want to eliminate as president?
4. Why does Jefferson make the Louisiana Purchase?
5. What does John Adams mean by "Thomas Jefferson lives"?
6. What role does James Callender play in this scandal?
7. How are Jefferson's views of slavery at this point in his life?
8. What do historians verify in the 1950s?
9. Of what aspects of our culture and government would Jefferson approve?
10. Why might it be possible that this affair took place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An accusation that historians still debate to this day is that of the relationship between Jefferson and Sally Hemings.
Part 1) Of what is he accused?
Part 2) What is the evidence of the relationship?
Part 3) Character flaws are a part of humanity. Why do scholars, historians, and the general public still debate this relationship?
Essay Topic 2
One of Jefferson's primary goals is the elimination of the national debt.
Part 1) Of what does he see this as the cause?
Part 2) He is determined to eliminate the national debt and one of his cost-saving measures is dismantling the U.S. Navy. Why does he believe this is a good cost-saving measure?
Part 3) How does this course of action prove to be almost disastrous?
Essay Topic 3
To Jefferson everything is black or white.
Part 1) Give examples from the text that prove this.
Part 2) Why do you believe he hates compromise?
Part 3) How does this aspect of his personality affect his life and relationships?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)