|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Jefferson the founder?
2. What would Jefferson disapprove of since his death?
3. Why does Jefferson agree with the separation of church and state?
4. With what does Jefferson's election coincide?
5. Who constantly attends Jefferson at Monticello?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jefferson make the Louisiana Purchase?
2. How does Jefferson spend his retirement?
3. Of what aspects of our culture and government would Jefferson approve?
4. Why does Ellis believe this affair is out of Jefferson's character?
5. What is ironic about Jefferson's approval of the separation of church and state?
6. How does Ellis feel about the accusations that Jefferson has an illicit affair with his slave, Sally Hemings?
7. What does John Adams mean by "Thomas Jefferson lives"?
8. Although Jefferson believes that slavery should be abolished, what does he feel about the issue of equality?
9. How is Jefferson's public speaking as president?
10. What do historians verify in the 1950s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The building of Monticello is one decision that shapes Jefferson's entire life.
Part 1) How does it shape his life?
Part 2) How does this home reflect his views on the ideal life?
Part 3) How does it contradict his views of slavery?
Essay Topic 2
Jefferson dies in debt.
Part 1) How does he find himself in debt?
Part 2) What does he do to get out of debt?
Part 3) Why does he have a difficult time changing his lifestyle to get out of debt?
Essay Topic 3
Jefferson writes revisionist history.
Part 1) What is revisionist history?
Part 2) What revisionist history does he write?
Part 3) Why might he do this?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)