|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Aaron Burr?
2. What is Jefferson's last attempt to save Monticello for his daughter and her children?
3. Why could those listening to his first address not understand him?
4. What did Jefferson never mean for his writings to do?
5. Where is Jefferson the most popular historical figure?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jefferson and Adams begin to reconcile their friendship?
2. Why does Jefferson make the Louisiana Purchase?
3. Why does Jefferson retreat to Poplar Forest?
4. How is Jefferson's public speaking as president?
5. What does John Adams mean by "Thomas Jefferson lives"?
6. Who are the last two surviving Founding Fathers, and how are they treated?
7. What is the most enduring scandal of Jefferson's life?
8. Why is Jefferson accused, inaccurately, of being an atheist?
9. What is the reason for the lack of pomp in his arrival to the Capitol?
10. How does Jefferson spend his retirement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the British, led by Benedict Arnold, invade Richmond, Jefferson flees on horseback.
Part 1) Why does he flee?
Part 2) What does the Virginia Assembly do because of this?
Part 3) How does this prove one of many differences exist between Jefferson and Alexander Hamilton?
Essay Topic 2
As Secretary of State Jefferson engages in vile public clashes with Alexander Hamilton, Secretary of the Treasury.
Part 1) Describe Alexander Hamilton.
Part 2) Why does Jefferson detest Hamilton?
Part 3) Who else clashes with Hamilton? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Jefferson is the Governor of Virginia for two years.
Part 1) How is Virginia under Jefferson's guidance?
Part 2) Why is the state's economy the way it is?
Part 3) What quota is Virginia not able to meet?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)