|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jefferson retreat to several times per year?
2. What does Jefferson do regarding miscegenation?
3. What is remarkable about the transfer of power from one president to the next?
4. What pattern do his days at Monticello follow?
5. Where is Jefferson the most popular historical figure?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the last two surviving Founding Fathers, and how are they treated?
2. What does Jefferson want to eliminate as president?
3. What happens between Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton?
4. What do historians verify in the 1950s?
5. What does John Adams mean by "Thomas Jefferson lives"?
6. Although Jefferson believes that slavery should be abolished, what does he feel about the issue of equality?
7. Why does Jefferson make the Louisiana Purchase?
8. What has happened to Jefferson's and Adam' friendship?
9. Why does Jefferson retreat to Poplar Forest?
10. Why is Jefferson's second term in office less successful than his first?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Secretary of State Jefferson engages in vile public clashes with Alexander Hamilton, Secretary of the Treasury.
Part 1) Describe Alexander Hamilton.
Part 2) Why does Jefferson detest Hamilton?
Part 3) Who else clashes with Hamilton? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Jefferson arrives in Philadelphia and Paris in luxury with a lot of pomp.
Part 1) Why does he choose to enter in this fashion?
Part 2) How does this flashy lifestyle contradict his views?
Part 3) His entrance to Washington, D.C. is very different from that of Philadelphia and Paris. How is it different? Why?
Essay Topic 3
One of Jefferson's primary goals is the elimination of the national debt.
Part 1) Of what does he see this as the cause?
Part 2) He is determined to eliminate the national debt and one of his cost-saving measures is dismantling the U.S. Navy. Why does he believe this is a good cost-saving measure?
Part 3) How does this course of action prove to be almost disastrous?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)