|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jefferson's last attempt to save Monticello for his daughter and her children?
2. After the passing years, what do Jefferson and Adams begin to do?
3. About what will scholars still be arguing well into the 22nd century?
4. Why could those listening to his first address not understand him?
5. What legacy of Jefferson's lives on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jefferson make the Louisiana Purchase?
2. What does John Adams mean by "Thomas Jefferson lives"?
3. Why is Jefferson's second term in office less successful than his first?
4. Why does Ellis believe this affair is out of Jefferson's character?
5. Why does Jefferson retreat to Poplar Forest?
6. How does Ellis feel about the accusations that Jefferson has an illicit affair with his slave, Sally Hemings?
7. How does Jefferson's arrival in Washington, D.C., differ from his arrivals in Philadelphia and Paris?
8. What is the reason for the lack of pomp in his arrival to the Capitol?
9. How does Jefferson spend his retirement?
10. What role does James Callender play in this scandal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jefferson arrives in Philadelphia and Paris in luxury with a lot of pomp.
Part 1) Why does he choose to enter in this fashion?
Part 2) How does this flashy lifestyle contradict his views?
Part 3) His entrance to Washington, D.C. is very different from that of Philadelphia and Paris. How is it different? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Jefferson loves his wife, but he finds a woman who is a rare equal.
Part 1) Who is this woman?
Part 2) How is she the equal of Jefferson?
Part 3) What type of relationship do these two have?
Essay Topic 3
Jefferson writes the Declaration of independence.
Part 1) How long does it take Jefferson to write the Declaration of Independence?
Part 2) Why might it have taken him this amount of time to write it?
Part 3) By what and whom is he inspired? Why?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)