|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jefferson think about the white race?
(a) It is equal to all races.
(b) It is not a race.
(c) It is an arrogant race.
(d) It reigns supreme.
2. Thomas Payne began as a revolutionary hero. What has he become in just a few years?
(a) He is a pastor.
(b) An obnoxious alcoholic.
(c) He is a hermit.
(d) He is more popular and loved than ever.
3. What is miscegenation?
(a) The mixing of generations.
(b) The miscommunication between politicians.
(c) The mixing of races.
(d) The collection of many races within one nation.
4. Besides it being obvious that several of Sally Hemings' children have a white father, what makes it even more possible that they are Jefferson's?
(a) They are born in the Monticello house.
(b) The children resemble Jefferson's daughters.
(c) Several of her children have features resembling Jefferson's.
(d) Several of the children call Jefferson "father."
5. In what tradition does Jefferson regard all political power as inherently corrupting?
(a) The Republican tradition.
(b) The Federalist tradition.
(c) The Whig tradition.
(d) The Christian tradition.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many slaves does Jefferson free in his will?
2. What happens between France and England in 1803?
3. Who is Jefferson's vice president?
4. What is remarkable about the transfer of power from one president to the next?
5. After the passing years, what do Jefferson and Adams begin to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of what aspects of our culture and government would Jefferson disapprove?
2. How does Jefferson's arrival in Washington, D.C., differ from his arrivals in Philadelphia and Paris?
3. What is remarkable about the deaths of Jefferson and Adams?
4. Why will scholars still be arguing about Jefferson's legacies well into the 22nd century?
5. What is the most enduring scandal of Jefferson's life?
6. How is Jefferson's public speaking as president?
7. How are Jefferson's views of slavery at this point in his life?
8. Why is Jefferson accused, inaccurately, of being an atheist?
9. What happens between Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton?
10. Why does Jefferson retreat to Poplar Forest?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)