|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Jefferson permanently retire to Monticello?
2. Who points out "The true Jeffersonian legacy is to be hostile to legacies?"
(a) Joyce Appleby.
(b) Jaqueline Applegate.
(c) James Joyce.
(d) Joclyn Smith.
3. Who reports the information about Elizabeth Walker with accuracy?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) John Adams.
(c) James Callender.
(d) James Madison.
4. Who is Jefferson's vice president?
(a) Aaron Burr.
(b) James Monroe.
(c) Alexander Hamilton.
(d) James Madison.
5. With what does Jefferson's election coincide?
(a) The death of Benjamin Franklin.
(b) A new sense of isolationism in the U.S.
(c) A new sense of nationalism in the U.S.
(d) The War of 1812.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many slaves does Jefferson free in his will?
2. Who is Madison Hemings?
3. Thomas Payne began as a revolutionary hero. What has he become in just a few years?
4. Why does Napoleon enter into negotiations to sell what is called the Louisiana Purchase?
5. What does Jefferson say to Elizabeth Walker's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jefferson and Adams begin to reconcile their friendship?
2. Why is Jefferson's second term in office less successful than his first?
3. What is ironic about Jefferson's approval of the separation of church and state?
4. Why does Jefferson retreat to Poplar Forest?
5. How does Ellis feel about the accusations that Jefferson has an illicit affair with his slave, Sally Hemings?
6. What is remarkable about the deaths of Jefferson and Adams?
7. Why does Jefferson make the Louisiana Purchase?
8. Who are the last two surviving Founding Fathers, and how are they treated?
9. How does Jefferson spend his retirement?
10. How is Jefferson's public speaking as president?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)