|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is there an increase in U.S. military might?
(a) During the Gulf War.
(b) During the Cold War.
(c) During the Vietnam War.
(d) During the Civil War.
2. Jefferson is a follower of Jesus but for what does he not have respect?
(c) Most organized religions.
3. Who is Madison Hemings?
(a) Sally Hemings' sister who is Jefferson's daughter.
(b) Sally Hemings' son who protects Jefferson.
(c) Sally Hemings' son who reveals during an interview that his mother told him that Jefferson fathered all five of her children.
(d) Sally Hemings' sister who also lives at Monticello.
4. Within the scholarly world what is the consensus regarding the story about Jefferson and Sally Hemings?
(a) They believe it to be the truth.
(b) They believe it to be a possibility.
(c) They believe it to be most certainly not true.
(d) They believe it to be absolutely true.
5. Who handles the negotiations with the French?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Elizabeth Walker?
2. How would Jefferson feel about urbanization?
3. What does Jefferson think about the white race?
4. Besides it being obvious that several of Sally Hemings' children have a white father, what makes it even more possible that they are Jefferson's?
5. What does Jefferson do with the 1,000 letters he receives each year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why will scholars still be arguing about Jefferson's legacies well into the 22nd century?
2. How do Jefferson and Adams begin to reconcile their friendship?
3. What does Jefferson want to eliminate as president?
4. Of what aspects of our culture and government would Jefferson disapprove?
5. Why is Jefferson's second term in office less successful than his first?
6. How does Jefferson spend his retirement?
7. Who are the last two surviving Founding Fathers, and how are they treated?
8. How does Ellis feel about the accusations that Jefferson has an illicit affair with his slave, Sally Hemings?
9. What does John Adams mean by "Thomas Jefferson lives"?
10. What is ironic about Jefferson's approval of the separation of church and state?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)