|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How would Jefferson feel about urbanization?
(a) He would disapprove of it.
(b) He would approve of it.
(c) He would want to live in our urban society.
(d) He would have no opinion about it.
2. What is ironic about the enforcement of the separation of church and state?
(a) It has not preserved religious freedom.
(b) It is not a true separation.
(c) It is not effective.
(d) It is enforced by the Supreme Court, the government institution Jefferson hates the most.
3. Thomas Payne began as a revolutionary hero. What has he become in just a few years?
(a) He is more popular and loved than ever.
(b) He is a pastor.
(c) An obnoxious alcoholic.
(d) He is a hermit.
4. Who is Jefferson's vice president?
(a) James Madison.
(b) Aaron Burr.
(c) James Monroe.
(d) Alexander Hamilton.
5. Why does the wife of a British minister refer to his administration as "barbaric?"
(a) They are rude and direspectful.
(b) He eschews all protocol in seating during the dinner parties he hosts.
(c) The woman is not allowed in Jefferson's home.
(d) They openly discuss their illicit affairs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jefferson think about the white race?
2. Of what is Jefferson the founder?
3. When does Jefferson permanently retire to Monticello?
4. What closes all ports in the U.S. to trade and is an economically crippling move?
5. What speeches does Jefferson make during his time as president?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why will scholars still be arguing about Jefferson's legacies well into the 22nd century?
2. What is the reason for the lack of pomp in his arrival to the Capitol?
3. How are Jefferson's views of slavery at this point in his life?
4. Why does Ellis believe this affair is out of Jefferson's character?
5. Of what aspects of our culture and government would Jefferson approve?
6. How does Jefferson spend his retirement?
7. What does John Adams mean by "Thomas Jefferson lives"?
8. Although Jefferson believes that slavery should be abolished, what does he feel about the issue of equality?
9. What is remarkable about the deaths of Jefferson and Adams?
10. Why might it be possible that this affair took place?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)