|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is ironic about the enforcement of the separation of church and state?
(a) It is not effective.
(b) It has not preserved religious freedom.
(c) It is not a true separation.
(d) It is enforced by the Supreme Court, the government institution Jefferson hates the most.
2. About what will scholars still be arguing well into the 22nd century?
(a) Jefferson's debt.
(b) Jefferson's legacies.
(c) Jefferson's children.
(d) Jefferson's friendship with Adams.
3. What closes all ports in the U.S. to trade and is an economically crippling move?
(a) The Embargo Act.
(b) An earthquake.
(c) An attack by the French.
(d) An attack by the British.
4. How does Jefferson believe emancipation would work?
(a) It would start slowly in the northern states and then work south and west.
(b) It would not work well at all.
(c) If the newly freed slaves are deported.
(d) It would work extremely well.
5. When does this erosion take place?
(a) During the Vietnam War.
(b) During the Cold War.
(c) During the Gulf War.
(d) During the Civil War.
Short Answer Questions
1. Politicians have long been subjected to what type of rumors?
2. Who is Madison Hemings?
3. By whom does Jefferson subsidize libelous accusations against Adams?
4. What speeches does Jefferson make during his time as president?
5. What does the previous administration rename Washington's Goose Creek?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jefferson want to eliminate as president?
2. Why is Jefferson's second term in office less successful than his first?
3. How does Ellis feel about the accusations that Jefferson has an illicit affair with his slave, Sally Hemings?
4. Why does Ellis believe this affair is out of Jefferson's character?
5. Why might it be possible that this affair took place?
6. What is the most enduring scandal of Jefferson's life?
7. How does Jefferson spend his retirement?
8. Of what aspects of our culture and government would Jefferson disapprove?
9. Who are the last two surviving Founding Fathers, and how are they treated?
10. Why does Jefferson make the Louisiana Purchase?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)