|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Jefferson permanently retire to Monticello?
2. After the passing years, what do Jefferson and Adams begin to do?
(a) Forget about one another.
(b) Agree on polical issues.
(c) Argue again.
(d) Communicate civilly again.
3. What is Jefferson's last attempt to save Monticello for his daughter and her children?
(a) He asks the Virginia legislature to allow him to conduct a public lottery.
(b) He does not try to save Monticello.
(c) He sells all of his slaves.
(d) He asks his neighbors to donate money to pay his debts.
4. What does Ellis say about Sally's last two children, Madison and Eston?
(a) They are the children of Peter Carr.
(b) They are not Jefferson's because they are born after Callender's allegations are published.
(c) They spread lies about Jefferson.
(d) They are Jefferson's children, just as the rest of the children are his.
5. Where does Jefferson retreat to several times per year?
(c) Poplar Forest.
(d) Washington, D.C.
Short Answer Questions
1. What speeches does Jefferson make during his time as president?
2. What does Jefferson do with the 1,000 letters he receives each year?
3. Who are the last surviving Founding Fathers?
4. How is Jefferson's arrival in Washington, D.C?
5. Who handles the negotiations with the French?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jefferson want to eliminate as president?
2. How does Ellis feel about the accusations that Jefferson has an illicit affair with his slave, Sally Hemings?
3. How are Jefferson's views of slavery at this point in his life?
4. Why will scholars still be arguing about Jefferson's legacies well into the 22nd century?
5. What is the most enduring scandal of Jefferson's life?
6. Why is Jefferson's second term in office less successful than his first?
7. What happens between Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton?
8. Why might it be possible that this affair took place?
9. Why does Jefferson make the Louisiana Purchase?
10. How is Jefferson's public speaking as president?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)