|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ellis believe about the relationship of Jefferson and Sally after the story becomes so public?
(a) There is never a relationship, so nothing changes about their relationship as slave owner and slave.
(b) If there had been an affair, he would have ended after it became public knowledge.
(c) It continues, because he is the father of her last two children.
(d) It becomes stronger after the allegations become public.
2. Who prints scurrilous, vengeful allegations against Jefferson?
(a) John Wade.
(b) James Callender.
(c) Alexander Hamilton.
(d) John Adams.
3. When do historians discover Jefferson is at Monticello with Sally nine months before she gives birth to each of her children?
(a) In the 1960s.
(b) In the 1950s.
(c) In the 1850s.
(d) In the 1860s.
4. What does Jefferson do regarding miscegenation?
(a) He repeatedly speaks out about its evils.
(b) He passes a law to preserve it.
(c) He practices miscegenation.
(d) He encourages it.
5. What do today's scholars know about this time in Jefferson's life?
(a) Very little.
(b) More than any other time in his life.
(c) As much as they know about the rest of his life.
(d) Nothing, since his records are burned in a fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened with Thomas Jefferson's popularity over time?
2. Why could those listening to his first address not understand him?
3. Even as he voices inspiring words uniting republicans and federalists in his first inaugural address, what does he say in personal letters to friends?
4. What is one of Jefferson's primary goals?
5. What does the previous administration rename Washington's Goose Creek?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)