|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what is Jefferson the founder?
(a) The College of William and Mary.
(b) The University of Miami.
(c) The University of the District of Columbia.
(d) The University of Virginia.
2. What company precedes him to the Capitol?
(a) A company of dancers.
(b) A company of government analysts.
(c) A company of legal advisors.
(d) A company of militia.
3. What does the previous administration rename Washington's Goose Creek?
(a) The Euphrates.
(b) The Thames.
(c) The Tiber.
(d) The Tigris.
4. Even as he voices inspiring words uniting republicans and federalists in his first inaugural address, what does he say in personal letters to friends?
(a) He vows to eradicate the Republicans.
(b) He vows to eradicate the Federalists.
(c) He vows to eradicate all parties.
(d) He vows to start his own party, the Democrats.
5. Who is Aaron Burr?
(a) An ambitious political schemer.
(b) Jefferson's Secretary of State.
(c) A lovable, friendly man.
(d) A powerful speaker.
6. What does Jefferson lead?
(a) The military.
(b) The Democratic Party.
(c) The voice of dissent against the establishment.
(d) The U.S. to victory.
7. As what is Sally Hemings known?
(a) The "African Venus."
(b) The "Queen of the Africans."
(c) The "African China Doll."
(d) The "Venus de Milo."
8. How do Jefferson's views on slavery continue to be?
9. What happens between France and England in 1803?
(a) They want to purchase land from Jefferson.
(b) They decide to go to war with the U.S.
(c) They renew their friendship.
(d) They renew hostilities.
10. Who reports the information about Elizabeth Walker with accuracy?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) John Adams.
(c) James Callender.
(d) James Madison.
11. Who is Madison Hemings?
(a) Sally Hemings' son who reveals during an interview that his mother told him that Jefferson fathered all five of her children.
(b) Sally Hemings' sister who also lives at Monticello.
(c) Sally Hemings' sister who is Jefferson's daughter.
(d) Sally Hemings' son who protects Jefferson.
12. When do historians discover Jefferson is at Monticello with Sally nine months before she gives birth to each of her children?
(a) In the 1860s.
(b) In the 1850s.
(c) In the 1950s.
(d) In the 1960s.
13. As president, from what does Jefferson suffer?
(b) Attacks by the press.
(d) Stage fright.
14. How would Jefferson feel about urbanization?
(a) He would disapprove of it.
(b) He would approve of it.
(c) He would want to live in our urban society.
(d) He would have no opinion about it.
15. What does Ellis believe about the relationship of Jefferson and Sally after the story becomes so public?
(a) It continues, because he is the father of her last two children.
(b) If there had been an affair, he would have ended after it became public knowledge.
(c) There is never a relationship, so nothing changes about their relationship as slave owner and slave.
(d) It becomes stronger after the allegations become public.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jefferson's last attempt to save Monticello for his daughter and her children?
2. Who constantly attends Jefferson at Monticello?
3. With what does Jefferson's election coincide?
4. Why does the wife of a British minister refer to his administration as "barbaric?"
5. How does Ellis describe Jefferson regarding his sexual energy?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)