|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Martha Wales Jefferson several months after the birth of their daughter Lucy Elizabeth?
(a) She tells Jefferson she is not having anymore of his children.
(b) She becomes pregnant with their fourth child.
(c) She becomes ill but recovers.
(d) She dies.
2. What does the author find surprising about an evening devoted to Jefferson in 1993?
(a) The audience has little respect for Jefferson as a president.
(b) The audience is very argumentative about Jefferson's stand on slavery.
(c) 400 people attend, rather than the estimated 40.
(d) 40 people attend, rather than the estimated 400.
3. To what is Jefferson compared at an elaborate dinner party?
(a) A non-English-speaking guest.
(b) A criminal.
(c) A mime.
(d) A court jester.
4. Who accompanied Jefferson to France?
(a) Sally Hemings.
(b) His daughter Martha, known as Patsy, and a slave named James Hemings.
(c) His three daughters.
(d) John Adams and Ben Franklin.
5. Of what has Jefferson either never learned the technique or accepted the necessity?
(d) Arguing his cause.
6. What is the nickname Ellis gives for Sally Hemings?
(a) White Sally.
(b) Silly Sally.
(c) Sally Forth.
(d) Black Sal.
7. Of what does Ellis feel it is unfair to accuse a man of Jefferson's time regarding women?
8. How does Jefferson feel about spirited debates?
(a) He has a stong aversion towards them and is unable to participate.
(b) He loves to be in on the action.
(c) He believes they are a waste of time.
(d) He thinks they are very beneficial when fighting for a cause.
9. What test proves that Ellis's belief that a dalliance is completely out of character for Jefferson is incorrect?
(a) A DRA test.
(b) A DNA test.
(c) A drug test.
(d) A Regence test.
10. How does Jefferson react to the invasion by Benedict Arnold's troops?
(a) He hides in Monticello.
(b) He flees on horseback.
(c) He musters his militia.
(d) He single-handedly fights Benedict Arnold.
11. Of what is the pamphlet "A Summary of the Rights of British America" a first draft?
(a) Constitution for the Freedom of Colonial America.
(b) Declaration of Treachery by King George III.
(c) Articles of the Confederation.
(d) Declaration of Independence.
12. Who does Jefferson refer to his slaves?
(a) As his "extended family."
(b) As the bane of his existence.
(c) As his property.
(d) As members of society.
13. Where does Jefferson attend college?
(a) At the College of Wiliam and Mary.
(b) At Oberlin College.
(c) At the University of Virginia.
(d) At New York University.
14. Regarding Sally Hemings, of what is Jefferson regularly accused?
(a) Being her father.
(b) Not providing for her.
(c) Having an affair with her after his wife's death and fathering several of her seven children.
(d) Selling her into slavery.
15. How are Jefferson's actions towards slavery and his views of slavery contradictory?
(a) He believes slavery is immoral, yet he owns slaves.
(b) He believes that slavery is an acceptable practice, yet he does not own slaves.
(c) He abhors slavery, and he does not own slaves.
(d) He promotes slavery and owns slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is expected of politicians of Jefferson's day?
2. Who does Patsy confess to loving more than her husband?
3. What two decisions shape Jefferson's entire life?
4. On what are several of Jefferson's arguments based?
5. Who is deeply in debt?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)