|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jefferson sometimes revile as a drunkard and sometimes as a wise, just ruler?
(a) Queen Victoria.
(b) Mary, Queen of Scots.
(c) King George III.
(d) King Louis XVI.
2. Who does Patsy marry?
(a) Charles Darwin.
(b) William Randolph Hearst.
(c) Thomas Mann Randolph Jr.
(d) Thomas Payne.
3. How does Jefferson arrive in Paris?
(a) In an elaborate, handcrafted, phaeton that is fancier than the one that conveyed him to Philadelphia.
(b) Secretly in the night.
(c) In a simple two-wheeled carriage.
(d) In a parade.
4. What test proves that Ellis's belief that a dalliance is completely out of character for Jefferson is incorrect?
(a) A DNA test.
(b) A Regence test.
(c) A DRA test.
(d) A drug test.
5. Why do many men of Jefferson's time refuse to own slaves?
(a) They believe slaves spread disease.
(b) On moral grounds.
(c) They believe in complete segregation.
(d) They abhore those that are not white.
6. What happens to Martha Wales Jefferson several months after the birth of their daughter Lucy Elizabeth?
(a) She becomes ill but recovers.
(b) She dies.
(c) She tells Jefferson she is not having anymore of his children.
(d) She becomes pregnant with their fourth child.
7. What does the author find surprising about an evening devoted to Jefferson in 1993?
(a) The audience is very argumentative about Jefferson's stand on slavery.
(b) 40 people attend, rather than the estimated 400.
(c) The audience has little respect for Jefferson as a president.
(d) 400 people attend, rather than the estimated 40.
8. Who accompanied Jefferson to France?
(a) Sally Hemings.
(b) His three daughters.
(c) John Adams and Ben Franklin.
(d) His daughter Martha, known as Patsy, and a slave named James Hemings.
9. What two decisions shape Jefferson's entire life?
(a) The writing of his pamphlets and his time as governor of Virginia.
(b) His marriage to Martha and the birth of his three daughters.
(c) To build a house and run for the House of Burgesses.
(d) His marriage to Martha and his move to Philadelphia.
10. What does Jefferson know about some of the revisionist history he writes?
(a) It is just.
(b) It is true.
(c) It is false.
(d) It is inaccurate.
11. Who is probably the most beloved and admired of American presidents?
(a) Herbert Hoover.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) George Bush.
(d) George Washington.
12. What does Jefferson study in college?
(b) Interpersonal Communications.
13. What is the reason the author gives for the contradiction between Jefferson's opinion of slavery and his owning of slaves?
(a) He is against slavery but owns them because he feels pressure to do so.
(b) He believes in human dignity for those that are of European descent, as long as they do not own slaves.
(c) He enjoys an easier life by owning slaves, therefore he is pro-slavery.
(d) He believes in human dignity and freedom, as long as it does not conflict with his own wealth and comfort.
14. What is Jefferson's attitude towards slavery?
(a) Inconsistent and inexplicable.
(b) Slavery is needed to have a successful society.
(c) He is completely against slavery.
(d) It is acceptable in certain situations.
15. Besides slaves, what else does Jefferson inherit from his father-in-law's estate?
(c) A house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jefferson's most successful financial enterprise?
2. Of what is the pamphlet "A Summary of the Rights of British America" a first draft?
3. Of what has Jefferson either never learned the technique or accepted the necessity?
4. Who is deeply in debt?
5. What does Ellis call flexibility and others might call hypocrisy?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)