|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides slaves, what else does Jefferson inherit from his father-in-law's estate?
(c) A house.
2. How long did Jeffersonians rule the nation?
(a) The first fourteen years of the 19th century.
(b) The first four years of the 19th century.
(c) The first thirty-four years of the 19th century.
(d) The first twenty-four years of the 19th century.
3. How many children do Patsy and her husband have?
4. Why does the audience not ask questions regarding Jefferson's slave ownership and relationship with Sally Hemings?
(a) They are too well-mannered.
(b) They are unsure whether it is appropriate to discuss these issues.
(c) They are too embarrassed.
(d) They are too timid.
5. With whom did Jefferson engage in vile public clashes?
(a) Aaron Burr.
(b) James Madison.
(c) John Adams.
(d) Alexander Hamilton.
6. What family is allowed to live at Mulberry Row?
(a) His entire slave family.
(b) Those family members with dark skin.
(c) Jefferson's family.
(d) The Hemings family.
7. What is Jefferson's most successful financial enterprise?
(a) Growing tobacco.
(b) Nail making.
(c) Growing wheat.
(d) Making wagon wheels.
8. How long is Jefferson Governor of Virginia?
(a) Four years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Three years.
(d) One year.
9. Why is it difficult for Patsy to love her husband?
(a) He is mentally unstable.
(b) He is the father of his slave's children.
(c) She does not know how to love.
(d) He is never home.
10. What affect does Jefferson's term as Governor of Virginia have on the state?
(a) The state's economy is a disaster.
(b) The state develops rapidly.
(c) The state goesunder major political renovations.
(d) The state's economy prospers.
11. How are Jefferson's political beliefs during those revolutionary times?
12. What test proves that Ellis's belief that a dalliance is completely out of character for Jefferson is incorrect?
(a) A drug test.
(b) A DRA test.
(c) A DNA test.
(d) A Regence test.
13. Why does Jefferson retire to Monticello by 1794?
(a) To get away from John Adams.
(b) To spend time with his daughters.
(c) To heal his considerable political wounds.
(d) To work on the design for a new home.
14. What have several historians pointed out does not exist between a master and a slave?
(b) A hierarchy.
(c) Consensual sex.
15. What is presentism?
(a) Not believing that events in the past have taken place; being completely focused on present-day issues and topics.
(b) To present false information about an issue or historical period.
(c) The obsession with requiring gifts and other presents.
(d) The tendency to apply current social and ethical standard to the behavior of past eras.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what are Betty Hemings' grandchildren mistaken?
2. What is the nickname Ellis gives for Sally Hemings?
3. Who does Jefferson sometimes revile as a drunkard and sometimes as a wise, just ruler?
4. What does Abigail Adams encourage Jefferson to do, regarding his daughter Maria?
5. Of what is the pamphlet "A Summary of the Rights of British America" a first draft?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)