|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are Jefferson's political beliefs during those revolutionary times?
2. With whom does Jefferson exchange a series of passionate love letters?
(a) Diana Ross.
(b) Diana Cosway.
(c) Abigail Adams.
(d) Dolley Madison.
3. What governmental position does Alexander Hamilton hold?
(a) Secretary of the Treasury.
(b) Surgeon General.
(c) Secretary of State.
(d) Secretary of the Interior.
4. Where does Jefferson attend college?
(a) At the College of Wiliam and Mary.
(b) At New York University.
(c) At Oberlin College.
(d) At the University of Virginia.
5. What is Jefferson's refuge from troubled times?
(b) Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
(c) The Continental Congress.
(d) Richmond, Virginia.
6. What does Jefferson owe English and Scottish firms?
(a) A pamphlet to advertise their firms.
(b) An apology.
(c) 6,500 pounds.
(d) A legal agreement.
7. Jefferson's nail-making laborer's are compared to what author's characters?
(a) Charles Dickens.
(b) Emily Dickinson.
(c) Jane Seymour.
(d) Charles Manson.
8. What family is allowed to live at Mulberry Row?
(a) The Hemings family.
(b) Those family members with dark skin.
(c) Jefferson's family.
(d) His entire slave family.
9. How famous is Jefferson at the time he becomes an ambassador in France?
(a) His fame has stayed the same.
(b) He is unknown in France.
(c) His fame has increased.
(d) His fame has decreased.
10. What issue does Ellis dismiss as "slanderous assaults?"
(a) The Sally Hemings issue.
(b) The Constitution issue.
(c) The slavery issue.
(d) the Declaration of Independence issue.
11. Of what descent is Hamilton?
12. Why is little known about Jefferson's early history?
(a) His early life is fairly inconsequential.
(b) All records are destroyed in a fire in Shadwell, Virginia.
(c) He has his records destroyed to protect his family.
(d) No records are kept of his early life.
13. What do many slave owners require of their slaves?
(b) Sexual services.
(c) An education.
14. How does Jefferson arrive in Philadelphia for the first Continental Congress?
(a) He arrives by horseback, as do most people at this time.
(b) He arrives in an opulent carriage with three slaves outfitted in elaborate costumes.
(c) He arrives secretly in the night, due to the high security risk.
(d) He arrives excited and ready to lead the nation.
15. What illustrates two central features of Jefferson's personality?
(a) The address called the "Declaration of the Causes and Necessity for Taking Up Arms."
(b) His relationship with his children.
(c) The amended version of the "Declaration of Independence."
(d) His friendships with John Adams and Ben Franklin.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ellis feel about presentism?
2. What is the Boston Tea Party?
3. What do both Franklin Roosevelt and Herbert Hoover claim about Jefferson?
4. When it comes to Jefferson's writing, what does he not like?
5. Who claims this president?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)