|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jefferson arrive in Philadelphia for the first Continental Congress?
(a) He arrives secretly in the night, due to the high security risk.
(b) He arrives by horseback, as do most people at this time.
(c) He arrives in an opulent carriage with three slaves outfitted in elaborate costumes.
(d) He arrives excited and ready to lead the nation.
2. When does Polly die?
(a) In old age.
(b) While she is in France.
(c) As a small child.
(d) In childbirth.
3. How many children do Patsy and her husband have?
4. What is the Boston Tea Party?
(a) A fundraiser for the city of Boston.
(b) A tea store in Boston.
(c) A gathering of colonists to peacefully protest British rule.
(d) A prank by a group of hooligans.
5. Of what descent is Hamilton?
6. What is Jefferson's refuge from troubled times?
(a) The Continental Congress.
(b) Richmond, Virginia.
(d) Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
7. How many slaves does Jefferson own at this point in his life?
(a) Between 100 and 200.
(b) Between 10 and 20.
(c) Between 50 and 100.
(d) Between 5 and 10.
8. What does the author find surprising about an evening devoted to Jefferson in 1993?
(a) The audience has little respect for Jefferson as a president.
(b) 40 people attend, rather than the estimated 400.
(c) The audience is very argumentative about Jefferson's stand on slavery.
(d) 400 people attend, rather than the estimated 40.
9. What does the Virginia Assembly do, regarding Jefferson's reaction to the invasion by Benedict Arnold's troops?
(a) They make him commander of the Virginia army.
(b) They launch an investigation against him for cowardice and dereliction of duty.
(c) They award him with the Medal of Honor.
(d) They chastise him for hiding.
10. How are Jefferson's political beliefs during those revolutionary times?
11. What test proves that Ellis's belief that a dalliance is completely out of character for Jefferson is incorrect?
(a) A DNA test.
(b) A Regence test.
(c) A drug test.
(d) A DRA test.
12. How does Jefferson feel about spirited debates?
(a) He has a stong aversion towards them and is unable to participate.
(b) He thinks they are very beneficial when fighting for a cause.
(c) He loves to be in on the action.
(d) He believes they are a waste of time.
13. Who accompanied Jefferson to France?
(a) Sally Hemings.
(b) His daughter Martha, known as Patsy, and a slave named James Hemings.
(c) His three daughters.
(d) John Adams and Ben Franklin.
14. How long does Jefferson believe the war will last?
(a) About three months.
(b) About one year.
(c) About six months.
(d) About four years.
15. What issue does Ellis dismiss as "slanderous assaults?"
(a) The Sally Hemings issue.
(b) The Constitution issue.
(c) the Declaration of Independence issue.
(d) The slavery issue.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did Jefferson engage in vile public clashes?
2. Regarding Sally Hemings, of what is Jefferson regularly accused?
3. What does Jefferson know about some of the revisionist history he writes?
4. How long did Jeffersonians rule the nation?
5. How famous is Jefferson at the time he becomes an ambassador in France?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)