|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what is the pamphlet "A Summary of the Rights of British America" a first draft?
(a) Declaration of Independence.
(b) Constitution for the Freedom of Colonial America.
(c) Articles of the Confederation.
(d) Declaration of Treachery by King George III.
2. Where does Jefferson attend college?
(a) At Oberlin College.
(b) At New York University.
(c) At the University of Virginia.
(d) At the College of Wiliam and Mary.
3. What is presentism?
(a) The obsession with requiring gifts and other presents.
(b) Not believing that events in the past have taken place; being completely focused on present-day issues and topics.
(c) The tendency to apply current social and ethical standard to the behavior of past eras.
(d) To present false information about an issue or historical period.
4. Who is Sally Hemings?
(a) A slave Jefferson inherited from his wife's family.
(b) Jefferson's neice.
(c) Martha Wales' sister.
(d) Jefferson's wife.
5. Why is it difficult for Patsy to love her husband?
(a) He is mentally unstable.
(b) He is the father of his slave's children.
(c) She does not know how to love.
(d) He is never home.
6. What is the Boston Tea Party?
(a) A prank by a group of hooligans.
(b) A tea store in Boston.
(c) A fundraiser for the city of Boston.
(d) A gathering of colonists to peacefully protest British rule.
7. How does Jefferson come to be a minor celebrity?
(a) His ambassador position in France.
(b) His writing of the Declaration of Independence.
(c) As governor of the state of Virginia.
(d) His pamphlet "A Summary of the Rights of British America."
8. How is having an affair and fathering children with a slave viewed by people of Jefferson's day?
(c) Not unusual.
9. What family is allowed to live at Mulberry Row?
(a) Those family members with dark skin.
(b) Jefferson's family.
(c) His entire slave family.
(d) The Hemings family.
10. What governmental position does Alexander Hamilton hold?
(a) Secretary of the Treasury.
(b) Secretary of the Interior.
(c) Surgeon General.
(d) Secretary of State.
11. What is the cause of friction for Jefferson?
(a) His stint as governor.
(b) His relationship with Sally Hemings.
(c) His marriage to Martha.
(d) His political career.
12. Of what party does Jefferson become the leader in just a few years?
(a) The Whig Party.
(b) The Republican Party.
(c) The Democratic Party.
(d) The Independent Party.
13. What is Jefferson's attitude towards slavery?
(a) It is acceptable in certain situations.
(b) Slavery is needed to have a successful society.
(c) He is completely against slavery.
(d) Inconsistent and inexplicable.
14. Who accompanied Jefferson to France?
(a) His three daughters.
(b) John Adams and Ben Franklin.
(c) Sally Hemings.
(d) His daughter Martha, known as Patsy, and a slave named James Hemings.
15. Who is raising Maria, known as Polly, Jefferson?
(a) John Wales.
(b) Slaves in Virginia.
(c) John Adams.
(d) Ben Franklin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Patsy confess to loving more than her husband?
2. When he is elected president, what does George Washington offer Jefferson?
3. How does Jefferson arrive in Paris?
4. On what are several of Jefferson's arguments based?
5. What issue does Ellis dismiss as "slanderous assaults?"
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)