|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jefferson argue should be eliminated from the Constitution of the new nation?
(b) Freedom of speech.
(c) Women's rights.
(d) Freedom of the press.
2. What have several historians pointed out does not exist between a master and a slave?
(a) A hierarchy.
(c) Consensual sex.
3. With whom does Jefferson exchange a series of passionate love letters?
(a) Dolley Madison.
(b) Diana Ross.
(c) Abigail Adams.
(d) Diana Cosway.
4. Who claims this president?
(a) His wife, Martha Wales.
(d) Liberals and conservatives.
5. What is Jefferson's attitude towards slavery?
(a) He is completely against slavery.
(b) It is acceptable in certain situations.
(c) Inconsistent and inexplicable.
(d) Slavery is needed to have a successful society.
6. What is Jefferson's refuge from troubled times?
(a) The Continental Congress.
(b) Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
(c) Richmond, Virginia.
7. Besides slaves, what else does Jefferson inherit from his father-in-law's estate?
(b) A house.
8. Who is probably the most beloved and admired of American presidents?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) George Washington.
(c) George Bush.
(d) Herbert Hoover.
9. What does Jefferson become, very publicly, while an ambassador in France?
(a) A Democrat.
(b) A Christian.
(c) A Francophile.
(d) A hypocrite.
10. Of what does Ellis feel it is unfair to accuse a man of Jefferson's time regarding women?
11. How does Ellis feel about presentism?
(a) He suffers from it.
(b) He is unsure about his stand on it.
(c) He agrees with it.
(d) He argues against it.
12. On what are several of Jefferson's arguments based?
(c) Historical facts.
(d) The history of monarchies.
13. What do many slave owners require of their slaves?
(c) Sexual services.
(d) An education.
14. How would Jefferson have gone through life, if his pamphlet had not been published?
(a) As a Virginia politician.
(c) As a well-known lawyer.
(d) An American ambassador.
15. Who does Patsy confess to loving more than her husband?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her nanny.
(d) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Jefferson's actions towards slavery and his views of slavery contradictory?
2. Regarding Sally Hemings, of what is Jefferson regularly accused?
3. What governmental position does Alexander Hamilton hold?
4. Of what has Jefferson either never learned the technique or accepted the necessity?
5. What happens to Martha Wales Jefferson several months after the birth of their daughter Lucy Elizabeth?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)