|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the audience not ask questions regarding Jefferson's slave ownership and relationship with Sally Hemings?
(a) They are unsure whether it is appropriate to discuss these issues.
(b) They are too timid.
(c) They are too well-mannered.
(d) They are too embarrassed.
2. How does Jefferson arrive in Paris?
(a) In a simple two-wheeled carriage.
(b) Secretly in the night.
(c) In an elaborate, handcrafted, phaeton that is fancier than the one that conveyed him to Philadelphia.
(d) In a parade.
3. What happens to Martha Wales Jefferson several months after the birth of their daughter Lucy Elizabeth?
(a) She tells Jefferson she is not having anymore of his children.
(b) She becomes ill but recovers.
(c) She becomes pregnant with their fourth child.
(d) She dies.
4. What is the Boston Tea Party?
(a) A gathering of colonists to peacefully protest British rule.
(b) A prank by a group of hooligans.
(c) A fundraiser for the city of Boston.
(d) A tea store in Boston.
5. What governmental position does Alexander Hamilton hold?
(a) Secretary of the Treasury.
(b) Secretary of State.
(c) Surgeon General.
(d) Secretary of the Interior.
6. How would one describe Jefferson's lifestyle?
7. Besides slaves, what else does Jefferson inherit from his father-in-law's estate?
(d) A house.
8. How is having an affair and fathering children with a slave viewed by people of Jefferson's day?
(b) Not unusual.
9. What does Jefferson study in college?
(d) Interpersonal Communications.
10. How are Jefferson's political beliefs during those revolutionary times?
11. What does Jefferson become, very publicly, while an ambassador in France?
(a) A Francophile.
(b) A hypocrite.
(c) A Christian.
(d) A Democrat.
12. To what does Jefferson have a propensity?
(a) To present questions according to God's love.
(b) To present questions as dichotomies between good and evil.
(c) To understand that people have varying beliefs and not every issue is either black or white.
(d) To compromise on certain issues.
13. What promise does Martha extract from Jefferson?
(a) A deathbed promise to not remarry.
(b) To go back to Philadelphia to be a member of the Continental Congress.
(c) To end his affair with Sally.
(d) To send his children to expensive boarding schools.
14. What does Abigail Adams provide Jefferson from London?
(a) A connection to King George III.
(b) A connection with Parliament.
(c) Intimate female companionship.
(d) Parenting advice.
15. What does Jefferson expect his slave to learn while in France?
(a) The fine art of French cookery.
(b) To become fluent in French.
(c) The fine art of French painting.
(d) How to be obedient.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sally Hemings?
2. How does Ellis feel about presentism?
3. Like many Virginia aristocrats, what does Jefferson equate to land?
4. Why do many men of Jefferson's time refuse to own slaves?
5. What does Jefferson know about some of the revisionist history he writes?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)