|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Jefferson exchange a series of passionate love letters?
(a) Diana Cosway.
(b) Diana Ross.
(c) Abigail Adams.
(d) Dolley Madison.
2. What happens to Martha Wales Jefferson several months after the birth of their daughter Lucy Elizabeth?
(a) She becomes pregnant with their fourth child.
(b) She tells Jefferson she is not having anymore of his children.
(c) She becomes ill but recovers.
(d) She dies.
3. How would Jefferson have gone through life, if his pamphlet had not been published?
(a) As a Virginia politician.
(b) An American ambassador.
(c) As a well-known lawyer.
4. What does Abigail Adams provide Jefferson from London?
(a) Parenting advice.
(b) A connection with Parliament.
(c) A connection to King George III.
(d) Intimate female companionship.
5. How are Jefferson's political beliefs during those revolutionary times?
6. Who is raising Maria, known as Polly, Jefferson?
(a) John Adams.
(b) Slaves in Virginia.
(c) John Wales.
(d) Ben Franklin.
7. How many children do Patsy and her husband have?
8. Who first exposes Jefferson to a companionate marriage?
(a) George and Martha Washington.
(b) John and Abigail Adams.
(c) Ben and Debrah Franklin.
(d) James and Dolley Madison.
9. Of what has Jefferson either never learned the technique or accepted the necessity?
(a) Arguing his cause.
10. What do both William Jennings Bryan and Clarence Darrow claim about Jefferson?
(a) He shares their architectural style.
(b) He shares their views about human dignity.
(c) He shares their views of evolution and creation.
(d) He is a great man.
11. Who does Jefferson refer to his slaves?
(a) As members of society.
(b) As his "extended family."
(c) As the bane of his existence.
(d) As his property.
12. What two decisions shape Jefferson's entire life?
(a) The writing of his pamphlets and his time as governor of Virginia.
(b) His marriage to Martha and his move to Philadelphia.
(c) To build a house and run for the House of Burgesses.
(d) His marriage to Martha and the birth of his three daughters.
13. How famous is Jefferson at the time he becomes an ambassador in France?
(a) He is unknown in France.
(b) His fame has increased.
(c) His fame has stayed the same.
(d) His fame has decreased.
14. Like many Virginia aristocrats, what does Jefferson equate to land?
15. Why is Jefferson inconsolable and cries every night for six weeks?
(a) His wife dies.
(b) His mother dies.
(c) His father dies.
(d) His daughter dies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jefferson idealize?
2. What have several historians pointed out does not exist between a master and a slave?
3. What serve as the most enduring record of Jefferson's life?
4. Why do many men of Jefferson's time refuse to own slaves?
5. What does Jefferson expect his slave to learn while in France?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)