|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jefferson feel about spirited debates?
(a) He thinks they are very beneficial when fighting for a cause.
(b) He has a stong aversion towards them and is unable to participate.
(c) He believes they are a waste of time.
(d) He loves to be in on the action.
2. How does Ellis feel about presentism?
(a) He suffers from it.
(b) He argues against it.
(c) He is unsure about his stand on it.
(d) He agrees with it.
3. Who is raising Maria, known as Polly, Jefferson?
(a) Ben Franklin.
(b) John Adams.
(c) John Wales.
(d) Slaves in Virginia.
4. Why does the audience not ask questions regarding Jefferson's slave ownership and relationship with Sally Hemings?
(a) They are too timid.
(b) They are too embarrassed.
(c) They are too well-mannered.
(d) They are unsure whether it is appropriate to discuss these issues.
5. Why do many men of Jefferson's time refuse to own slaves?
(a) They abhore those that are not white.
(b) They believe slaves spread disease.
(c) They believe in complete segregation.
(d) On moral grounds.
6. How does Jefferson react to the invasion by Benedict Arnold's troops?
(a) He flees on horseback.
(b) He musters his militia.
(c) He hides in Monticello.
(d) He single-handedly fights Benedict Arnold.
7. On what are several of Jefferson's arguments based?
(b) The history of monarchies.
(c) Historical facts.
8. Who first exposes Jefferson to a companionate marriage?
(a) John and Abigail Adams.
(b) Ben and Debrah Franklin.
(c) George and Martha Washington.
(d) James and Dolley Madison.
9. What does Jefferson argue should be eliminated from the Constitution of the new nation?
(a) Freedom of speech.
(b) Women's rights.
(d) Freedom of the press.
10. What does Ellis call flexibility and others might call hypocrisy?
(a) His relationship with King George III.
(b) His opinion on slavery.
(c) His relationship with women other than his wife.
(d) Jefferson's dexterity to tailor his writings for a specific audience.
11. Who is reportedly the father of Sally Hemings?
(a) Benjamin Franklin.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) John Wales.
(d) Theodore Roosevelt.
12. What is Jefferson's attitude towards slavery?
(a) He is completely against slavery.
(b) It is acceptable in certain situations.
(c) Slavery is needed to have a successful society.
(d) Inconsistent and inexplicable.
13. What does Jefferson idealize?
(b) The King of England.
14. What is presentism?
(a) The tendency to apply current social and ethical standard to the behavior of past eras.
(b) To present false information about an issue or historical period.
(c) Not believing that events in the past have taken place; being completely focused on present-day issues and topics.
(d) The obsession with requiring gifts and other presents.
15. What governmental position does Alexander Hamilton hold?
(a) Surgeon General.
(b) Secretary of the Treasury.
(c) Secretary of State.
(d) Secretary of the Interior.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the cause of friction for Jefferson?
2. How is having an affair and fathering children with a slave viewed by people of Jefferson's day?
3. To what does Jefferson have a propensity?
4. When it comes to Jefferson's writing, what does he not like?
5. What do many slave owners require of their slaves?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)