|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who first exposes Jefferson to a companionate marriage?
(a) George and Martha Washington.
(b) John and Abigail Adams.
(c) James and Dolley Madison.
(d) Ben and Debrah Franklin.
2. Who is deeply in debt?
3. When does Polly die?
(a) In old age.
(b) In childbirth.
(c) As a small child.
(d) While she is in France.
4. To what does Jefferson have a propensity?
(a) To present questions as dichotomies between good and evil.
(b) To compromise on certain issues.
(c) To understand that people have varying beliefs and not every issue is either black or white.
(d) To present questions according to God's love.
5. How would Jefferson have gone through life, if his pamphlet had not been published?
(a) As a Virginia politician.
(b) An American ambassador.
(c) As a well-known lawyer.
6. Where does Jefferson attend college?
(a) At the University of Virginia.
(b) At Oberlin College.
(c) At the College of Wiliam and Mary.
(d) At New York University.
7. What issue does Ellis dismiss as "slanderous assaults?"
(a) the Declaration of Independence issue.
(b) The Sally Hemings issue.
(c) The slavery issue.
(d) The Constitution issue.
8. Who is probably the most beloved and admired of American presidents?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) George Bush.
(d) Herbert Hoover.
9. With whom does Jefferson exchange a series of passionate love letters?
(a) Abigail Adams.
(b) Diana Ross.
(c) Dolley Madison.
(d) Diana Cosway.
10. What promise does Martha extract from Jefferson?
(a) A deathbed promise to not remarry.
(b) To send his children to expensive boarding schools.
(c) To end his affair with Sally.
(d) To go back to Philadelphia to be a member of the Continental Congress.
11. What does Jefferson become, very publicly, while an ambassador in France?
(a) A Christian.
(b) A Democrat.
(c) A Francophile.
(d) A hypocrite.
12. What have several historians pointed out does not exist between a master and a slave?
(b) A hierarchy.
(c) Consensual sex.
13. Besides slaves, what else does Jefferson inherit from his father-in-law's estate?
(b) A house.
14. Who is reportedly the father of Sally Hemings?
(a) Benjamin Franklin.
(b) Theodore Roosevelt.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) John Wales.
15. How are Jefferson's political beliefs during those revolutionary times?
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Jefferson's actions towards slavery and his views of slavery contradictory?
2. With whom did Jefferson engage in vile public clashes?
3. Of what has Jefferson either never learned the technique or accepted the necessity?
4. To what is Jefferson compared at an elaborate dinner party?
5. When he is elected president, what does George Washington offer Jefferson?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)