|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Polly die?
(a) As a small child.
(b) In childbirth.
(c) In old age.
(d) While she is in France.
2. What does Abigail Adams encourage Jefferson to do, regarding his daughter Maria?
(a) To keep her in Virginia.
(b) To put her in a boarding school in France.
(c) To bring her to France.
(d) To let Abigail take her to England.
3. What does Jefferson expect his slave to learn while in France?
(a) The fine art of French painting.
(b) To become fluent in French.
(c) The fine art of French cookery.
(d) How to be obedient.
4. Who accompanied Jefferson to France?
(a) John Adams and Ben Franklin.
(b) Sally Hemings.
(c) His three daughters.
(d) His daughter Martha, known as Patsy, and a slave named James Hemings.
5. What does Jefferson become, very publicly, while an ambassador in France?
(a) A hypocrite.
(b) A Francophile.
(c) A Christian.
(d) A Democrat.
6. Why does Jefferson retire to Monticello by 1794?
(a) To heal his considerable political wounds.
(b) To work on the design for a new home.
(c) To spend time with his daughters.
(d) To get away from John Adams.
7. What serve as the most enduring record of Jefferson's life?
(a) His pamphlets.
(b) The laws he passes as Governor of Virginia.
(c) The letters Jefferson and Madison exchange.
(d) The letter Jefferson and Abigail Adams exchange.
8. Of what descent is Hamilton?
9. How does Jefferson arrive in Philadelphia for the first Continental Congress?
(a) He arrives secretly in the night, due to the high security risk.
(b) He arrives by horseback, as do most people at this time.
(c) He arrives excited and ready to lead the nation.
(d) He arrives in an opulent carriage with three slaves outfitted in elaborate costumes.
10. Who claims this president?
(b) Liberals and conservatives.
(d) His wife, Martha Wales.
11. How is having an affair and fathering children with a slave viewed by people of Jefferson's day?
(b) Not unusual.
12. Why is Jefferson inconsolable and cries every night for six weeks?
(a) His wife dies.
(b) His daughter dies.
(c) His mother dies.
(d) His father dies.
13. How long does Jefferson believe the war will last?
(a) About three months.
(b) About one year.
(c) About four years.
(d) About six months.
14. What does Jefferson owe English and Scottish firms?
(a) A legal agreement.
(b) A pamphlet to advertise their firms.
(c) 6,500 pounds.
(d) An apology.
15. Who does Patsy marry?
(a) Thomas Payne.
(b) Thomas Mann Randolph Jr.
(c) William Randolph Hearst.
(d) Charles Darwin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sally Hemings?
2. With whom did Jefferson engage in vile public clashes?
3. What is the cause of friction for Jefferson?
4. What promise does Martha extract from Jefferson?
5. What does Abigail Adams provide Jefferson from London?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)