|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jefferson idealize?
(b) The King of England.
2. Who is reportedly the father of Sally Hemings?
(a) John Wales.
(b) Benjamin Franklin.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Theodore Roosevelt.
3. With whom does Jefferson exchange a series of passionate love letters?
(a) Diana Ross.
(b) Abigail Adams.
(c) Dolley Madison.
(d) Diana Cosway.
4. Regarding Sally Hemings, of what is Jefferson regularly accused?
(a) Not providing for her.
(b) Being her father.
(c) Selling her into slavery.
(d) Having an affair with her after his wife's death and fathering several of her seven children.
5. What does Jefferson owe English and Scottish firms?
(a) A legal agreement.
(b) 6,500 pounds.
(c) An apology.
(d) A pamphlet to advertise their firms.
6. What does the Virginia Assembly do, regarding Jefferson's reaction to the invasion by Benedict Arnold's troops?
(a) They launch an investigation against him for cowardice and dereliction of duty.
(b) They make him commander of the Virginia army.
(c) They award him with the Medal of Honor.
(d) They chastise him for hiding.
7. Jefferson's nail-making laborer's are compared to what author's characters?
(a) Charles Dickens.
(b) Emily Dickinson.
(c) Jane Seymour.
(d) Charles Manson.
8. What is Jefferson's attitude towards slavery?
(a) It is acceptable in certain situations.
(b) Inconsistent and inexplicable.
(c) He is completely against slavery.
(d) Slavery is needed to have a successful society.
9. Like many Virginia aristocrats, what does Jefferson equate to land?
10. Who is probably the most beloved and admired of American presidents?
(a) Herbert Hoover.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) George Washington.
(d) George Bush.
11. Of what party does Jefferson become the leader in just a few years?
(a) The Whig Party.
(b) The Republican Party.
(c) The Democratic Party.
(d) The Independent Party.
12. How does Ellis feel about presentism?
(a) He is unsure about his stand on it.
(b) He agrees with it.
(c) He argues against it.
(d) He suffers from it.
13. How famous is Jefferson at the time he becomes an ambassador in France?
(a) He is unknown in France.
(b) His fame has stayed the same.
(c) His fame has decreased.
(d) His fame has increased.
14. What is the cause of friction for Jefferson?
(a) His marriage to Martha.
(b) His political career.
(c) His relationship with Sally Hemings.
(d) His stint as governor.
15. What illustrates two central features of Jefferson's personality?
(a) His friendships with John Adams and Ben Franklin.
(b) The address called the "Declaration of the Causes and Necessity for Taking Up Arms."
(c) His relationship with his children.
(d) The amended version of the "Declaration of Independence."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abigail Adams provide Jefferson from London?
2. What do both Franklin Roosevelt and Herbert Hoover claim about Jefferson?
3. What happens to Martha Wales Jefferson several months after the birth of their daughter Lucy Elizabeth?
4. To what is Jefferson compared at an elaborate dinner party?
5. Of what descent is Hamilton?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)