|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jefferson decide to plant in the place of tobacco?
2. What serve as the most enduring record of Jefferson's life?
(a) The laws he passes as Governor of Virginia.
(b) The letter Jefferson and Abigail Adams exchange.
(c) The letters Jefferson and Madison exchange.
(d) His pamphlets.
3. When he is elected president, what does George Washington offer Jefferson?
(a) The position of Secretary of Homeland Security.
(b) The position of Vice President.
(c) The position of Secretary of State.
(d) The position of Secretary of the Interior.
4. How is having an affair and fathering children with a slave viewed by people of Jefferson's day?
(b) Not unusual.
5. What happens to Martha Wales Jefferson several months after the birth of their daughter Lucy Elizabeth?
(a) She dies.
(b) She becomes ill but recovers.
(c) She becomes pregnant with their fourth child.
(d) She tells Jefferson she is not having anymore of his children.
6. Who does Polly marry?
(a) John Smith.
(b) Thomas Mann Randolph Jr.
(c) John Wales Eppes.
(d) Thomas Payne.
7. Of what does Ellis feel it is unfair to accuse a man of Jefferson's time regarding women?
8. How many children do Patsy and her husband have?
9. What do both Franklin Roosevelt and Herbert Hoover claim about Jefferson?
(a) His ideals in their very different ways of handling the Depression.
(b) His ideals in their very different opinions of prohibition.
(c) His views of isolationism.
(d) His opinion of the women's rights movement.
10. Who are the other two ambassadors in France?
(a) George Washington and John Adams.
(b) Madison and Monroe.
(c) James Hemings and John Wales.
(d) John Adams and Ben Franklin.
11. Who accompanied Jefferson to France?
(a) His three daughters.
(b) John Adams and Ben Franklin.
(c) Sally Hemings.
(d) His daughter Martha, known as Patsy, and a slave named James Hemings.
12. Why do many men of Jefferson's time refuse to own slaves?
(a) They believe slaves spread disease.
(b) On moral grounds.
(c) They abhore those that are not white.
(d) They believe in complete segregation.
13. Where does Jefferson attend college?
(a) At the University of Virginia.
(b) At Oberlin College.
(c) At the College of Wiliam and Mary.
(d) At New York University.
14. What is Jefferson's refuge from troubled times?
(a) Richmond, Virginia.
(c) The Continental Congress.
(d) Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
15. What does Jefferson expect his slave to learn while in France?
(a) How to be obedient.
(b) To become fluent in French.
(c) The fine art of French cookery.
(d) The fine art of French painting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jefferson's most successful financial enterprise?
2. What issue does Ellis dismiss as "slanderous assaults?"
3. Of what is the pamphlet "A Summary of the Rights of British America" a first draft?
4. To what does Jefferson have a propensity?
5. What is a key facet of Jefferson's personality?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)