|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Patsy confess to loving more than her husband?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her nanny.
(d) Her mother.
2. How is having an affair and fathering children with a slave viewed by people of Jefferson's day?
(d) Not unusual.
3. What is Jefferson's refuge from troubled times?
(b) The Continental Congress.
(c) Richmond, Virginia.
(d) Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
4. Where does Jefferson attend college?
(a) At the University of Virginia.
(b) At Oberlin College.
(c) At New York University.
(d) At the College of Wiliam and Mary.
5. What two decisions shape Jefferson's entire life?
(a) To build a house and run for the House of Burgesses.
(b) His marriage to Martha and his move to Philadelphia.
(c) His marriage to Martha and the birth of his three daughters.
(d) The writing of his pamphlets and his time as governor of Virginia.
6. When he is elected president, what does George Washington offer Jefferson?
(a) The position of Secretary of the Interior.
(b) The position of Vice President.
(c) The position of Secretary of Homeland Security.
(d) The position of Secretary of State.
7. Who is probably the most beloved and admired of American presidents?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) George Bush.
(d) Herbert Hoover.
8. Who does Polly marry?
(a) Thomas Payne.
(b) John Wales Eppes.
(c) Thomas Mann Randolph Jr.
(d) John Smith.
9. How does Jefferson feel about spirited debates?
(a) He thinks they are very beneficial when fighting for a cause.
(b) He believes they are a waste of time.
(c) He loves to be in on the action.
(d) He has a stong aversion towards them and is unable to participate.
10. What does Jefferson argue should be eliminated from the Constitution of the new nation?
(a) Women's rights.
(b) Freedom of speech.
(c) Freedom of the press.
11. Who is reportedly the father of Sally Hemings?
(a) Theodore Roosevelt.
(b) John Wales.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Benjamin Franklin.
12. What have several historians pointed out does not exist between a master and a slave?
(a) Consensual sex.
(c) A hierarchy.
13. What is the nickname Ellis gives for Sally Hemings?
(a) Black Sal.
(b) Sally Forth.
(c) Silly Sally.
(d) White Sally.
14. What does Abigail Adams encourage Jefferson to do, regarding his daughter Maria?
(a) To keep her in Virginia.
(b) To bring her to France.
(c) To let Abigail take her to England.
(d) To put her in a boarding school in France.
15. What does the Virginia Assembly do, regarding Jefferson's reaction to the invasion by Benedict Arnold's troops?
(a) They launch an investigation against him for cowardice and dereliction of duty.
(b) They chastise him for hiding.
(c) They make him commander of the Virginia army.
(d) They award him with the Medal of Honor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jefferson come to be a minor celebrity?
2. Who is raising Maria, known as Polly, Jefferson?
3. What affect does Jefferson's term as Governor of Virginia have on the state?
4. Who does Jefferson sometimes revile as a drunkard and sometimes as a wise, just ruler?
5. Like many Virginia aristocrats, what does Jefferson equate to land?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)