|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What test proves that Ellis's belief that a dalliance is completely out of character for Jefferson is incorrect?
(a) A Regence test.
(b) A drug test.
(c) A DNA test.
(d) A DRA test.
2. What is Jefferson's most successful financial enterprise?
(a) Nail making.
(b) Making wagon wheels.
(c) Growing wheat.
(d) Growing tobacco.
3. Where does Jefferson attend college?
(a) At Oberlin College.
(b) At New York University.
(c) At the University of Virginia.
(d) At the College of Wiliam and Mary.
4. Why do many men of Jefferson's time refuse to own slaves?
(a) On moral grounds.
(b) They believe slaves spread disease.
(c) They believe in complete segregation.
(d) They abhore those that are not white.
5. Like many Virginia aristocrats, what does Jefferson equate to land?
6. How does Jefferson arrive in Paris?
(a) In a simple two-wheeled carriage.
(b) In a parade.
(c) Secretly in the night.
(d) In an elaborate, handcrafted, phaeton that is fancier than the one that conveyed him to Philadelphia.
7. Who are the other two ambassadors in France?
(a) Madison and Monroe.
(b) George Washington and John Adams.
(c) John Adams and Ben Franklin.
(d) James Hemings and John Wales.
8. What does Jefferson owe English and Scottish firms?
(a) A legal agreement.
(b) An apology.
(c) A pamphlet to advertise their firms.
(d) 6,500 pounds.
9. What is the nickname Ellis gives for Sally Hemings?
(a) White Sally.
(b) Sally Forth.
(c) Black Sal.
(d) Silly Sally.
10. How does Jefferson arrive in Philadelphia for the first Continental Congress?
(a) He arrives in an opulent carriage with three slaves outfitted in elaborate costumes.
(b) He arrives by horseback, as do most people at this time.
(c) He arrives excited and ready to lead the nation.
(d) He arrives secretly in the night, due to the high security risk.
11. Who is Sally Hemings?
(a) Martha Wales' sister.
(b) A slave Jefferson inherited from his wife's family.
(c) Jefferson's wife.
(d) Jefferson's neice.
12. When it comes to Jefferson's writing, what does he not like?
(a) To have his work accepted.
(b) To write political pamphlets.
(c) To be edited.
(d) To write persuasively.
13. What does Abigail Adams encourage Jefferson to do, regarding his daughter Maria?
(a) To let Abigail take her to England.
(b) To bring her to France.
(c) To keep her in Virginia.
(d) To put her in a boarding school in France.
14. How is having an affair and fathering children with a slave viewed by people of Jefferson's day?
(c) Not unusual.
15. With whom did Jefferson engage in vile public clashes?
(a) Alexander Hamilton.
(b) Aaron Burr.
(c) James Madison.
(d) John Adams.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have several historians pointed out does not exist between a master and a slave?
2. To what does Jefferson have a propensity?
3. What is the end result of this planting?
4. What does Jefferson idealize?
5. How many children do Patsy and her husband have?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)