|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Jefferson have a propensity?
(a) To present questions as dichotomies between good and evil.
(b) To present questions according to God's love.
(c) To compromise on certain issues.
(d) To understand that people have varying beliefs and not every issue is either black or white.
2. How does Jefferson feel about spirited debates?
(a) He believes they are a waste of time.
(b) He has a stong aversion towards them and is unable to participate.
(c) He loves to be in on the action.
(d) He thinks they are very beneficial when fighting for a cause.
3. Who accompanied Jefferson to France?
(a) His daughter Martha, known as Patsy, and a slave named James Hemings.
(b) John Adams and Ben Franklin.
(c) Sally Hemings.
(d) His three daughters.
4. What is Jefferson's most successful financial enterprise?
(a) Making wagon wheels.
(b) Nail making.
(c) Growing wheat.
(d) Growing tobacco.
5. What does the Virginia Assembly do, regarding Jefferson's reaction to the invasion by Benedict Arnold's troops?
(a) They chastise him for hiding.
(b) They make him commander of the Virginia army.
(c) They award him with the Medal of Honor.
(d) They launch an investigation against him for cowardice and dereliction of duty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides slaves, what else does Jefferson inherit from his father-in-law's estate?
2. With whom did Jefferson engage in vile public clashes?
3. Like many Virginia aristocrats, what does Jefferson equate to land?
4. To what is Jefferson compared at an elaborate dinner party?
5. What is the reason the author gives for the contradiction between Jefferson's opinion of slavery and his owning of slaves?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)