|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are Jefferson's actions towards slavery and his views of slavery contradictory?
(a) He promotes slavery and owns slaves.
(b) He abhors slavery, and he does not own slaves.
(c) He believes that slavery is an acceptable practice, yet he does not own slaves.
(d) He believes slavery is immoral, yet he owns slaves.
2. With whom does Jefferson exchange a series of passionate love letters?
(a) Diana Cosway.
(b) Diana Ross.
(c) Abigail Adams.
(d) Dolley Madison.
3. What is the reason the author gives for the contradiction between Jefferson's opinion of slavery and his owning of slaves?
(a) He is against slavery but owns them because he feels pressure to do so.
(b) He enjoys an easier life by owning slaves, therefore he is pro-slavery.
(c) He believes in human dignity and freedom, as long as it does not conflict with his own wealth and comfort.
(d) He believes in human dignity for those that are of European descent, as long as they do not own slaves.
4. Regarding Sally Hemings, of what is Jefferson regularly accused?
(a) Having an affair with her after his wife's death and fathering several of her seven children.
(b) Not providing for her.
(c) Being her father.
(d) Selling her into slavery.
5. Of what does Ellis feel it is unfair to accuse a man of Jefferson's time regarding women?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who claims this president?
2. What issue does Ellis dismiss as "slanderous assaults?"
3. Who accompanied Jefferson to France?
4. How does Jefferson come to be a minor celebrity?
5. What is the Boston Tea Party?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)