|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what has Jefferson either never learned the technique or accepted the necessity?
(b) Arguing his cause.
2. To what is Jefferson compared at an elaborate dinner party?
(a) A criminal.
(b) A court jester.
(c) A mime.
(d) A non-English-speaking guest.
3. Why do many men of Jefferson's time refuse to own slaves?
(a) They believe slaves spread disease.
(b) They abhore those that are not white.
(c) They believe in complete segregation.
(d) On moral grounds.
4. Of what is the pamphlet "A Summary of the Rights of British America" a first draft?
(a) Articles of the Confederation.
(b) Declaration of Independence.
(c) Declaration of Treachery by King George III.
(d) Constitution for the Freedom of Colonial America.
5. To what does Jefferson have a propensity?
(a) To present questions according to God's love.
(b) To present questions as dichotomies between good and evil.
(c) To understand that people have varying beliefs and not every issue is either black or white.
(d) To compromise on certain issues.
Short Answer Questions
1. How would Jefferson have gone through life, if his pamphlet had not been published?
2. When it comes to Jefferson's writing, what does he not like?
3. How does Ellis feel about presentism?
4. What is the reason the author gives for the contradiction between Jefferson's opinion of slavery and his owning of slaves?
5. Of what does Ellis feel it is unfair to accuse a man of Jefferson's time regarding women?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)