|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the nickname Ellis gives for Sally Hemings?
(a) Sally Forth.
(b) Black Sal.
(c) White Sally.
(d) Silly Sally.
2. What is Jefferson's attitude towards slavery?
(a) Inconsistent and inexplicable.
(b) He is completely against slavery.
(c) It is acceptable in certain situations.
(d) Slavery is needed to have a successful society.
3. What issue does Ellis dismiss as "slanderous assaults?"
(a) The Sally Hemings issue.
(b) The slavery issue.
(c) the Declaration of Independence issue.
(d) The Constitution issue.
4. How long does Jefferson believe the war will last?
(a) About one year.
(b) About four years.
(c) About three months.
(d) About six months.
5. Who is Sally Hemings?
(a) Jefferson's neice.
(b) Martha Wales' sister.
(c) Jefferson's wife.
(d) A slave Jefferson inherited from his wife's family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jefferson know about some of the revisionist history he writes?
2. How are Jefferson's actions towards slavery and his views of slavery contradictory?
3. What do both William Jennings Bryan and Clarence Darrow claim about Jefferson?
4. What two decisions shape Jefferson's entire life?
5. Why do many men of Jefferson's time refuse to own slaves?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)