|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Sally Hemings?
(a) Jefferson's wife.
(b) Jefferson's neice.
(c) Martha Wales' sister.
(d) A slave Jefferson inherited from his wife's family.
2. What does Jefferson idealize?
(c) The King of England.
3. Why does the audience not ask questions regarding Jefferson's slave ownership and relationship with Sally Hemings?
(a) They are too embarrassed.
(b) They are too well-mannered.
(c) They are unsure whether it is appropriate to discuss these issues.
(d) They are too timid.
4. What illustrates two central features of Jefferson's personality?
(a) His relationship with his children.
(b) The address called the "Declaration of the Causes and Necessity for Taking Up Arms."
(c) His friendships with John Adams and Ben Franklin.
(d) The amended version of the "Declaration of Independence."
5. What does Jefferson know about some of the revisionist history he writes?
(a) It is false.
(b) It is just.
(c) It is inaccurate.
(d) It is true.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is having an affair and fathering children with a slave viewed by people of Jefferson's day?
2. How does Ellis feel about presentism?
3. What is the reason the author gives for the contradiction between Jefferson's opinion of slavery and his owning of slaves?
4. What does Jefferson study in college?
5. Of what has Jefferson either never learned the technique or accepted the necessity?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)