|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two decisions shape Jefferson's entire life?
(a) His marriage to Martha and the birth of his three daughters.
(b) The writing of his pamphlets and his time as governor of Virginia.
(c) To build a house and run for the House of Burgesses.
(d) His marriage to Martha and his move to Philadelphia.
2. What do many slave owners require of their slaves?
(b) Sexual services.
(d) An education.
3. What is presentism?
(a) Not believing that events in the past have taken place; being completely focused on present-day issues and topics.
(b) To present false information about an issue or historical period.
(c) The tendency to apply current social and ethical standard to the behavior of past eras.
(d) The obsession with requiring gifts and other presents.
4. Of what does Ellis feel it is unfair to accuse a man of Jefferson's time regarding women?
5. How is having an affair and fathering children with a slave viewed by people of Jefferson's day?
(a) Not unusual.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jefferson come to be a minor celebrity?
2. Who is reportedly the father of Sally Hemings?
3. How does Jefferson arrive in Philadelphia for the first Continental Congress?
4. Why does the audience not ask questions regarding Jefferson's slave ownership and relationship with Sally Hemings?
5. What does Jefferson know about some of the revisionist history he writes?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)