|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author find surprising about an evening devoted to Jefferson in 1993?
(a) 40 people attend, rather than the estimated 400.
(b) The audience is very argumentative about Jefferson's stand on slavery.
(c) 400 people attend, rather than the estimated 40.
(d) The audience has little respect for Jefferson as a president.
2. Of what is the pamphlet "A Summary of the Rights of British America" a first draft?
(a) Constitution for the Freedom of Colonial America.
(b) Articles of the Confederation.
(c) Declaration of Independence.
(d) Declaration of Treachery by King George III.
3. What does Jefferson argue should be eliminated from the Constitution of the new nation?
(a) Freedom of the press.
(b) Women's rights.
(c) Freedom of speech.
4. To what does Jefferson have a propensity?
(a) To compromise on certain issues.
(b) To present questions as dichotomies between good and evil.
(c) To present questions according to God's love.
(d) To understand that people have varying beliefs and not every issue is either black or white.
5. How does Jefferson come to be a minor celebrity?
(a) His pamphlet "A Summary of the Rights of British America."
(b) His ambassador position in France.
(c) As governor of the state of Virginia.
(d) His writing of the Declaration of Independence.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is little known about Jefferson's early history?
2. What two decisions shape Jefferson's entire life?
3. What is presentism?
4. What is Jefferson's refuge from troubled times?
5. What does Jefferson idealize?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)