|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what is Jefferson compared at an elaborate dinner party?
(a) A mime.
(b) A non-English-speaking guest.
(c) A criminal.
(d) A court jester.
2. Why does the audience not ask questions regarding Jefferson's slave ownership and relationship with Sally Hemings?
(a) They are too well-mannered.
(b) They are too timid.
(c) They are unsure whether it is appropriate to discuss these issues.
(d) They are too embarrassed.
3. Regarding Sally Hemings, of what is Jefferson regularly accused?
(a) Being her father.
(b) Selling her into slavery.
(c) Not providing for her.
(d) Having an affair with her after his wife's death and fathering several of her seven children.
4. Who claims this president?
(c) Liberals and conservatives.
(d) His wife, Martha Wales.
5. What do both Franklin Roosevelt and Herbert Hoover claim about Jefferson?
(a) His views of isolationism.
(b) His opinion of the women's rights movement.
(c) His ideals in their very different opinions of prohibition.
(d) His ideals in their very different ways of handling the Depression.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nickname Ellis gives for Sally Hemings?
2. What does Jefferson know about some of the revisionist history he writes?
3. What does Jefferson argue should be eliminated from the Constitution of the new nation?
4. What illustrates two central features of Jefferson's personality?
5. How are Jefferson's political beliefs during those revolutionary times?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)