|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the reason the author gives for the contradiction between Jefferson's opinion of slavery and his owning of slaves?
(a) He enjoys an easier life by owning slaves, therefore he is pro-slavery.
(b) He believes in human dignity for those that are of European descent, as long as they do not own slaves.
(c) He believes in human dignity and freedom, as long as it does not conflict with his own wealth and comfort.
(d) He is against slavery but owns them because he feels pressure to do so.
2. How famous is Jefferson at the time he becomes an ambassador in France?
(a) He is unknown in France.
(b) His fame has increased.
(c) His fame has stayed the same.
(d) His fame has decreased.
3. Who accompanied Jefferson to France?
(a) Sally Hemings.
(b) His three daughters.
(c) John Adams and Ben Franklin.
(d) His daughter Martha, known as Patsy, and a slave named James Hemings.
4. Why does the audience not ask questions regarding Jefferson's slave ownership and relationship with Sally Hemings?
(a) They are unsure whether it is appropriate to discuss these issues.
(b) They are too embarrassed.
(c) They are too well-mannered.
(d) They are too timid.
5. To what is Jefferson compared at an elaborate dinner party?
(a) A non-English-speaking guest.
(b) A mime.
(c) A court jester.
(d) A criminal.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what are several of Jefferson's arguments based?
2. How long is Jefferson Governor of Virginia?
3. Why is little known about Jefferson's early history?
4. Of what party does Jefferson become the leader in just a few years?
5. How long did Jeffersonians rule the nation?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)